• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, I'm trying something new. Cuts. And a formulaic design!
View attachment 8646
This roster speaks for itself, but there are a few notations.
-Dixie Kong I put at a near-same level as K Rool. If you disagree with this, pretend K Rool is there.
-Same goes for Lucina.
-Lucas, R.O.B. Wolf and Snake were cut. I personally believe there will be some cuts this time around, and it may be more or less than what I have predicted. Cut in this order: ROB, Lucas, Wolf, Snake. I didn't want to cut Snake, but it ended up as Takamaru or Snake.
Newcomers are as follows:
-Rosalina & Luma
-Dixie Kong*
-Tetra
-Little Mac
-Waddle Dee
-Ridley
-Lucina*
-Palutena
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Takamaru
-Mega Man

Feedback is appreciated, but biased hate isn't, please leave it at the door.
>Bandana Dee
1,000,000/10, best roster.

Anyway, I'm anti-cuts, so the fact that you've cut anybody rubs me the wrong way. That out of the way, Lucas ,Snake, and Wolf are reasonable cuts, I suppose. ROB I don't see being cut (no matter how much a certain Knight on these boards dislikes him).

Also, I'd disagree with adding Tetra. I personally don't think we're getting a new Zelda character, but maybe that's just me.

Bandana Dee, as much as I like him, is still a somewhat risky prediction.

/thoughts

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't get why people think Toon Link will be a starter. I don't see anything suggesting this.
I think it was because of the bias thought that everyone who is announced early (2013) will be a starter character.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
>Bandana Dee
1,000,000/10, best roster.

Anyway, I'm anti-cut, so the fact that you've cut anybody rubs me the wrong way. That out of the way, Lucas ,Snake, and Wolf are reasonable cuts, I suppose. ROB I don't see being cut (no matter how much a certain Knight on these boards dislikes him).

Also, I'd disagree with adding Tetra. I personally don't think we're getting a new Zelda character, but maybe that's just me.

Bandana Dee, as much as I like him, is still a somewhat risky prediction.

/thoughts
I do have a no cuts version. However after thinking some new thoughts, I'm preparing for the worst. Tetra is my "risky prediction", and Bandana Dee is my other Ridley. Dedede's side special has been oddly missing, and until we see it, Bandana Dee is stuck on my roster. Same with Ridley and Pyrosphere.

Because he's another sword user, he's blond, he comes from a single game, he's British, he's a hermit nerd, and Isaac is better.

Apparently.
Apparantly indeed. Why must we have the blonde trio stereotype... Golden Sun and Xenoblade are very different games with VERY different protagonists. And him being British is completely awesome.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
There's also the fact that the new X game has the chance of releasing after Smash Bros. If we get X related stuff, it's Shulk.
Yeah, this was the point I was making. At the time, Ness was the last protagonist in his series, while the newest game was on the way but didn't have him in it. Ness got a spot in Smash Bros. regardless (and most probably because of the connection the Mother series has to HAL, which is pretty much why Lucas joined in as well.) Shulk is in the exact same position with the added fact that Sakurai visited Monolith and that potentially meaning something towards his inclusion.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Shulk is a very underrated choice I think. He's more likely than many think.
Oh,cool. You're a mod now. Also,I agree. I didn't go with Shulk at first,but then when I looked into it I became more focused towards it him.

Groose

Smash Champion
Well, I'm trying something new. Cuts. And a formulaic design!
View attachment 8646
This roster speaks for itself, but there are a few notations.
-Dixie Kong I put at a near-same level as K Rool. If you disagree with this, pretend K Rool is there.
-Same goes for Lucina.
-Lucas, R.O.B. Wolf and Snake were cut. I personally believe there will be some cuts this time around, and it may be more or less than what I have predicted. Cut in this order: ROB, Lucas, Wolf, Snake. I didn't want to cut Snake, but it ended up as Takamaru or Snake.
Newcomers are as follows:
-Rosalina & Luma
-Dixie Kong*
-Tetra
-Little Mac
-Waddle Dee
-Ridley
-Lucina*
-Palutena
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Takamaru
-Mega Man

Feedback is appreciated, but biased hate isn't, please leave it at the door.
The biggest problem I have with your roster is the layout. Why are all series organized vertically... except for Star Fox? Switch the positions of Falco and Game and Watch, please. Outside of that, Tetra is a bit sketchy, and I would find a way to work in Mii or Pac-Man. 9.75/10

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Yeah, this was the point I was making. At the time, Ness was the last protagonist in his series, while the newest game was on the way but didn't have him in it. Ness got a spot in Smash Bros. regardless (and most probably because of the connection the Mother series has to HAL, which is pretty much why Lucas joined in as well.) Shulk is in the exact same position with the added fact that Sakurai visited Monolith and that potentially meaning something towards his inclusion.
I'm really hoping this it what happens with Chrom, and that his game came a little bit after they made the roster (even though it's doubtful)

The biggest problem I have with your roster is the layout. Why are all series organized vertically... except for Star Fox? Switch the positions of Falco and Game and Watch, please. Outside of that, Tetra is a bit sketchy, and I would find a way to work in Mii or Pac-Man. 9.5/10
Aw, you skipped my roster.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Apparantly indeed. Why must we have the blonde trio stereotype... Golden Sun and Xenoblade are very different games with VERY different protagonists. And him being British is completely awesome.
Because people are stupid, which gives me more material to mock people for their fridge logic.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh,I just had a thought.
Who will most likely be the first unlockable character in the game,and who will be the last?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Shulk is a character that I would love to see included but, sadly, could also be regulated to AT or just trophy status. He has a good enough following that is vocal for his inclusion, a unique move set, and the Monado mechanic (able to see futures and such).

But his game was largely ignored by Nintendo outside of Japan and, even now, is in short supply and priced in to $70-80 region in most stores. I don't think a X character will make it considering its development is most likely behind that of Smash 4's. The only reason I see for a X character being included is to advertise X.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
The biggest problem I have with your roster is the layout. Why are all series organized vertically... except for Star Fox? Switch the positions of Falco and Game and Watch, please. Outside of that, Tetra is a bit sketchy, and I would find a way to work in Mii or Pac-Man. 9.75/10
Wolf was to the right of them. I intended them to be in there to show cuts (with a 10th row of cuts and a random icon), but then people would get confused.
I can understand Tetra. I've mostly just had Tetra there, I might cut her next version. I'm not really seeing reason for a 5th Zelda Slot anymore.

Because people are stupid, which gives me more material to mock people for their fridge logic.
Fridge Brilliance is lacking, eh?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I do have a no cuts version. However after thinking some new thoughts, I'm preparing for the worst. Tetra is my "risky prediction", and Bandana Dee is my other Ridley. Dedede's side special has been oddly missing, and until we see it, Bandana Dee is stuck on my roster. Same with Ridley and Pyrosphere.
The Ridley comparison isn't valid imo. Ridley has MUCH more popularity than Dee does. Also, I don't think that Dedede's side-B being "conspicuously missing" counts for anything.

FYI, I don't think Ridley being "missing" from Pyrosphere indicates anything about his playability either. I think he'll be in because he's ridiculously popular in the west. And also because he's the most important Metroid character after Samus.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
The Ridley comparison isn't valid imo. Ridley has MUCH more popularity than Dee does. Also, I don't think that Dedede's side-B being "conspicuously missing" counts for anything.

FYI, I don't think Ridley being "missing" from Pyrosphere indicates anything about his playability either. I think he'll be in because he's ridiculously popular in the west. And also because he's the most important Metroid character after Samus.
I didn't actually say BD has a bigger shot than Ridley nor is he more popular. But both being missing from an element that was hinted at heavily or one that was a previous in-game element is questioning my thoughts on predicting them to be in or not. And it can happen, but I don't see a hazard Ridley as likely.

BTW, thanks for the feedback.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's so hard to guess who will be next to be confirmed.
It will probably be a veteran

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Shulk is a character that I would love to see included but, sadly, could also be regulated to AT or just trophy status. He has a good enough following that is vocal for his inclusion, a unique move set, and the Monado mechanic (able to see futures and such).

But his game was largely ignored by Nintendo outside of Japan and, even now, is in short supply and priced in to $70-80 region in most stores. I don't think a X character will make it considering its development is most likely behind that of Smash 4's. The only reason I see for a X character being included is to advertise X.
Not to mention the X characters are customizable if I'm not mistaken.

Xenoblade, while not huge, is still a series that is getting attention from Nintendo, being directly referenced by Iwata, and given a puzzle board. If it were as obscure as some people think, I doubt it would be given such attention.

As I said, there may be room for doubt, but I think Shulk has better chances than we all think.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Source?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Alright, here we go. Taking everything into consideration:

We've got solo DK rep K. Rool, too big Ridley, obligatory Palutena, retro Takamaru, promoted assist trophy Little Mac, unique Krystal, newer series rep Shulk, returnee Mewtwo, "inevitable" Chrom, surprise "retro" Lip, and Pac-Man. No cuts from Brawl either. Yeah, now this should work nicely.

He kind of tweeted a picture of the Monado.
[collapse=]
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I recall reading an interview with Sakurai saying this game will not have as many newcomers as previous games have. Can anyone confirm this?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Technically, it's never been stated that Sakurai visited Monolith Soft, but even then it's most likely the company along with several dozen others were visited for copyright reasons.

Remember, with crossovers like this, you'll need to consolidate with the original developers so that there isn't problems.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I honestly think that Waddle Dee Toss missing is just a result of Dedede's limited spotlight. We had one pic of the day focusing on him, which was about his forward smash, and we then moved on. It's not unlike not having seen the specials of other characters.

Even then, even if Bandana Dee is in I'm still expecting Dedede to keep his Waddle Dee Toss. The thing I'm most afraid about regarding Bandana Dee is his Assist Trophy potential.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I recall reading an interview with Sakurai saying this game will not have as many newcomers as previous games have. Can anyone confirm this?
Yeah he said that. That doesn't mean we'll only get like 8 newcomers though. The lowest amount was the original 12. So we can still get ...I would say 14 characters max.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

We've got solo DK rep K. Rool, too big Ridley, obligatory Palutena, retro Takamaru, promoted assist trophy Little Mac, unique Krystal, newer series rep Shulk, returnee Mewtwo, "inevitable" Chrom, surprise "retro" Lip, and Pac-Man. Yeah, now this should work nicely.

He kind of tweeted a picture of the Monado.
[collapse=]
[/collapse]
No Waluigi 0/10

Good roster,the only two problems I have are Lucas and Ike. Just my opinion,though,48/50

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Ridley being excluded at this point is just a crime. In fact, Metroid being excluded for so long is even a bigger crime. Granted, there aren't many possible characters but a few are viable (Ridz, Dark Samus, Sylux, etc).

Can I post my dream roster? I want your opinions on how much of a dream roster it may be.
Feel free but indicate its a dream roster as to not cause confusion.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Yeah he said that. That doesn't mean we'll only get like 8 newcomers though. The lowest amount was the original 12. So we can still get ...I would say 14 characters max.
Ok, but looking at his other comments on characters I'm going to guess that we'll get 12 newcomers, at the most, but I wonder if Mewtwo would count as one of them.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Ok, but looking at his other comments on characters I'm going to guess that we'll get 12 newcomers, at the most, but I wonder if Mewtwo would count as one of them.
I would say we would have to see what Sakurai would do with Mewtwo. If he just updates Mewtwo from Melee, then that is hardly a newcomer. If he adds the new Mega Mewtwo, the one that was heavily marketed, then I would say newcomer.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I say about 8-9. I mean,there IS a limited amount of time left.
True, but the game has been in development for two years and this time, there is no SSE **** to waste time and resources with.

My bet is 10~12 newcomers as well, with one or two cuts.

Groose

Smash Champion
I can understand Tetra. I've mostly just had Tetra there, I might cut her next version. I'm not really seeing reason for a 5th Zelda Slot anymore.
Hey, I was in the middle of typing up my review when you posted the part about Wolf. I think you've come up with a very, very good roster; it's something that I can genuinely see happen. A few cuts, ~48 movesets--sounds good to me. Still, I think there are a few characters (Miis, Pac-Man) that you should work in to get my 10/10 rating.

We've got solo DK rep K. Rool, too big Ridley, obligatory Palutena, retro Takamaru, promoted assist trophy Little Mac, unique Krystal, newer series rep Shulk, returnee Mewtwo, "inevitable" Chrom, surprise "retro" Lip, and Pac-Man. Yeah, now this should work nicely.
Slightly a bit too stuffed for my liking--while I hope we get 54 movesets, I see ~48 being more likely. I'd recommend some cuts, either from your cast of newcomers or the veterans. Cut three from the following: Krystal/Wolf/Falco, Lip/Takamaru, Shulk, Ike/Chrom, Lucas. I think you've covered the truly necessary newcomers outside of Miis, though. 8.75/10.
Aw, you skipped my roster.
Okay, okay, I'll do it. But after that, I really got to get working on Rate Their Chances.
Here is my newest roster, tear it apart please:

Green means in, red means newcomer, blue means brawl vet, yellow means melee vet:
Edit: For some reason Toon Link and Samus are blue

Also I put Micaiah in there, but that really stands for any Fire Emblem character really.
Yeah, Micaiah should go for an Awakening character, but I'll overlook it as you ask. Outside of her, the first thing I noticed was the size: at 50/51 movesets (not sure how Diddy/Dixie would fall), you're maybe a tad large. One or two cuts should be in order; a very fine trimming would work here. I'd recommend one the retros, a Fire Emblem slot, Shulk, or fringe veterans be the two that get the axe. Also, as I've expressed before, I think Pac-Man and Miis are very good to have on a prediction roster; if I were you, I may actually cut a third character to make room for one of them.

I noticed that Ridley is missing in action, but that's fine. He could go either way, and his missing does not affect your score at all. Overall, you stand at about a 9/10 in my book.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
True, but the game has been in development for two years and this time, there is no SSE **** to waste time and resources with.

It's very fair to assume that cuts will not be as willy-nilly as Melee-Brawl, as there were characters that really didn't need to make up the roster (Pichu for example). With Brawl's near-perfect roster, it's difficult to predict which characters are higher priority, and which ones will get cut. I will not be surprised if there is a cut or two, but I really think it's tough to decide who it would be.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
For clarification, at the rate we're going, the games are going to be in development way more then Brawl. I'd wager an extra 6 months at the least.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer

The fact that SSE isn't a thing and we're getting a "Melee-esque Adventure Mode" is going to help boost development speed. But then again...
You gotta remember that the time to make Mario or any character moveset takes longer now due to the quality.

Hey, I was in the middle of typing up my review when you posted the part about Wolf. I think you've come up with a very, very good roster; it's something that I can genuinely see happen. A few cuts, ~48 movesets--sounds good to me. Still, I think there are a few characters (Miis, Pac-Man) that you should work in to get my 10/10 rating.
I'll take it into consideration next time I make a roster (Which is when the next reveal comes!) :)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It's very fair to assume that cuts will not be as willy-nilly as Melee-Brawl, as there were characters that really didn't need to make up the roster (Pichu for example). With Brawl's near-perfect roster, it's difficult to predict which characters are higher priority, and which ones will get cut. I will not be surprised if there is a cut or two, but I really think it's tough to decide who it would be.
I am just playing safe when I say there will be one or two cuts.

Honestly, I don't really believe characters will be cut from the Brawl roster.
There may not be a SSE for them to waste time on, but they are working on two games, with a lot of different content on both.
True, but they have an experienced developer to help them this time, though. Namco Bandai is a very talented dev.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If cuts do happen, it's not going to because another character is going to replace another.

Though unlike last time, if push comes to shove, there always the option of bringing the scrapped characters back with DLC. But again, it depends on whether or not reviving scrapped ideas will be worth it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom