• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
I got a question for you guys id certain characters we support doesn't make it into smash this time around would they still have a chance to make it into smash 5 or will their chances be gone after this game

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I got a question for you guys id certain characters we support doesn't make it into smash this time around would they still have a chance to make it into smash 5 or will their chances be gone after this game
We will be lucky if we ever get a Smash 5, given that Sakurai's arms are screwed and Nintendo isn't the best shape either.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
You can look up the info, i'm just too lazy to do it. those are credible last time i checked. how kirby got his name and all that, its legit.

Kirby's not a girl, if anything its an IT. but most people refer to it as MALE. (not a female) this is coming from someone who is a kirby fan since he was 5-6.

Fine, call him what you want, doesn't mean its correct, yo.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn084.html
c:

I can't think of anything on topic to say except that I want Ice Climbers back, but something tells me they might not return.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The one character I really want in is Micaiah, and if she doesn't get in now, she's done for. Roster for SSBB was finalized when her game came out, so she didn't have a chance then. This is her one and only shot.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
We will be lucky if we ever get a Smash 5, given that Sakurai's arms are screwed and Nintendo isn't the best shape either.
At that point, I think Sakurai will do what many other greats have done and instead dictate the development.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So basically unless they go with Robin and emphasis his ability to use magic with tomes, we're screwed.
Yeah. I'm counting on Robin though, as far as I see it he's the only real stand-out of the bunch. Rosalina's inclusion did make me more hopeful that Sakurai is going to go with the most interesting choice.

I think that if Ridley misses this round, he's basically out. It could easily be argued that he was outprioritized by more important additions in Brawl, but not this time, if he isn't in Sakurai has a specific reason for not thinking he's feasible as a character. On the other hand, a character like K. Rool could easily make it into the next game if he misses this one, since his eventual inevitable return to the DKC franchise would boost his chances to shoe-in status for the next game, the only reason he wouldn't be included this time around is because Nintendo seems to be ignoring him as of lately, and even then I'm surely counting on him making it in this time around.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Nintendo's fine, they're still rolling in dough. The WiiU's just in critical condition, but as long as the 3DS is alive, there shouldn't be any issues.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Here is my newest roster, tear it apart please:

Green means in, red means newcomer, blue means brawl vet, yellow means melee vet:
Edit: For some reason Toon Link and Samus are blue

Also I put Micaiah in there, but that really stands for any Fire Emblem character really.

Last edited:

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
If Kirby can be referred to as "she" or "it" then I guess Meta Knight can be as well. :glare:

Kirby Super Star tutorial video said:
This is Kirby, our hero! He's a jolly fellow!
There are far more examples of Kirby being called other such masculine pronouns in dialogue, textboxes, official booklets etc. but hell if I'm going to look them all up.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Nintendo's fine, they're still rolling in dough. The WiiU's just in critical condition, but as long as the 3DS is alive, there shouldn't be any issues.
No, Nintendo isn't fine. The 3DS is selling way less than it was in the past year and the Wii U is a mess. Nintendo has a lot of money, so they can make a turn around, certainly, but their money isn't infinity and Iwata's "please understand" and excuses aren't really helping the company. That's a bit off topic, though.

Groose

Smash Champion
View attachment 8639
Only removed character is PT, but that's mainly because of personal bias.
Allow me to get this out of the way before I go into detail: computer monitors and televisions are normally wider horizontally than vertically. A vertical roster is not only hard to read, but also completely unfeasible for playing purposes.

As for the roster itself... well, I know more about Nintendo than most, and I've never heard of Caeda. I don't think she has much of a shot to become a Fire Emblem newcomer, especially when Ike, Chrom, and Roy all have lots of popularity. Zoroark and Saki are bold picks and I can say nothing much against them as individuals, but I don't think we'll see both of them together; they were big in 2011, but they've faded since then.

I'm an advocate for Miis being on every prediction roster, but as it is, I'm not sure you have room. You did cut Pokemon Trainer, but you still have my upper-limit of fifty movesets. Overall, I'll give you a 7.5/10.

It's time for a snazzy new roster with a snazzy new look! Introducing 8.0! :shades:

Explanations:

Size - Since Brawl had 18 newcomers, I felt 45 was too little, so I went for 16. It's still less, but there certainly won't be as many newcomers this time.

Dixie Kong - I would argue Dixie is the most deserving Donkey Kong newcomer. She's a very important protagonist and very often appears alongside Donkey & Diddy. I don't think Sakurai is going to add King K. Rool if Dixie is not in first. Not to mention she is a semi-clone which would leave room for more characters.

Toon Zelda/Tetra - If you want to pretend it's just Tetra by herself, please go ahead. I certainly think that's a possibility too. I added this character because Tetra is very popular, deserving, recurring, relevant, and plays an important role. I think she is the best choice for a Zelda newcomer (Though Vaati is a very good choice too). While I partly added her to have 5 Zelda slots, I still think Tetra is deserving enough to be in regardless of that.

Ridley - Popular and iconic Nintendo villain. He's highly requested, unique, and overdue.

Samurai Goroh - He is a moderately popular Nintendo villain from a very classic Nintendo franchise. He's incredibly important to F-Zero which is an underrepped franchise and practically the only one that hasn't gotten it's sidekick/rival character. Considering most franchises have gotten the characters they need, there is certainly room for him this time around. Sakurai does care about representation. He stated that Zero Suit Samus was added partly because he wanted a second Metroid character. New installments usually feature additions to franchises that haven't gotten any since their debut too. So given Samurai Goroh's importance and F-Zero being a franchise that deserves a second character, I think this character is highly likely.

Palutena - She's a popular contender that Sakurai seems to have a thing for, giving her a lot of spotlight and Brawl. He's also giving Kid Icarus more spotlight in the new Smash now that it has become a rebooted franchise.

Robin - Being from Awakening actually has nothing to do with why I have Robin. I know Sakurai doesn't just blindly add "teh must recent Fire Emblem lord". I have Robin because the Avatar/Tactician is likely going to become a thing in future Fire Emblem games from now on. He's also the most unique Fire Emblem nominee as well as a different unit which brings variety.

Mach Rider - Sakurai says he wants to bring back more older characters. So I figure if there is going to be two then one should be international. And with Balloon Fighter out of the way, none would be more recognized and deserving than Mach Rider. I have doubts about him due to his major similarities to Captain Falcon, but there could always be exceptions to characters like that in special cases. Sakurai also said he likes the idea of Mach Rider.

Takamaru - He's basically a shoe-in imo. Being a popular, iconic, and deserving retro game on the famicom, with several references throughout history including in international games.

Tabuu - I think Tabuu might get in as a unique surprise character and that Sakurai will add a Smash Original character to the roster this time.

I'm seriously considering maybe adding Pac-Man btw. But, do tell me what you think. :)
I'm not quite as optimistic about you with the number of newcomers we'll receive, and even though I do encourage Pac-Man on prediction rosters, I'm not sure I would add him because you don't have room. I'd personally say you should make a few cuts to your roster. I feel you have a bit too many "surprise" picks; of Tabuu, Mach Rider, Goroh, and Tetra, I'd only add two of them. I can't say for sure which two, however.

...also, if you don't want to cut one of your newcomers, you could always cut a veteran...

Anyway, I do like your roster. If you take a knife and trim it up a bit (3-5 cuts from what you have), then mix in some Miis and Pac-Man... you'll have something amazing. As of now, you get an 8.5/10.

Edit: Oh, and I like Tabuu. That's a great, Sakurai-esque surprise. If you can keep him on and still trim it up, you get bonus points.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord

Green means in, red means newcomer, blue means brawl vet, yellow means melee vet:

Also I put Micaiah in there, but that really stands for any Fire Emblem character really.
I am okay with this, something feels like it's missing...but I don't know what...

If Kirby can be referred to as "she" or "it" then I guess Meta Knight can be as well. :glare:

There are far more examples of Kirby being called other such masculine pronouns in dialogue, textboxes, official booklets etc. but hell if I'm going to look them all up.
Yeah sure, SheKnight c:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Well, I'm trying something new. Cuts. And a formulaic design!
Stylized, Organized Roster.png

This roster speaks for itself, but there are a few notations.
-Dixie Kong I put at a near-same level as K Rool. If you disagree with this, pretend K Rool is there.
-Same goes for Lucina.
-Lucas, R.O.B. Wolf and Snake were cut. I personally believe there will be some cuts this time around, and it may be more or less than what I have predicted. Cut in this order: ROB, Lucas, Wolf, Snake. I didn't want to cut Snake, but it ended up as Takamaru or Snake.
Newcomers are as follows:
-Rosalina & Luma
-Dixie Kong*
-Tetra
-Little Mac
-Waddle Dee
-Ridley
-Lucina*
-Palutena
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Takamaru
-Mega Man

Feedback is appreciated, but biased hate isn't, please leave it at the door.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn084.html
c:

I can't think of anything on topic to say except that I want Ice Climbers back, but something tells me they might not return.
Lol sakurai neither confirmed nor denied that kirby is a girl. the fact that it's in question marks doesn't solidify your case either. And google translate sucks. If kirby was a girl, wouldn't they distinguish that like they did with lala? like I said, he's an it. and many sources, like the anime treat him as a he. But again I don't want to be off topic. Kirby's not a girl.

The IC's have a high chance of returning. just because rosalina is a team/puppet master doesn't mean squat, oh and the 3ds "complications" are no longer in play.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
At that point, I think Sakurai will do what many other greats have done and instead dictate the development.
Sakurai being supervision would make sense for future titles, but at the same time keep in mind that the guy doesn't do everything to begin with. So to see him step aside won't heavily deteriorate the quality of the games.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros. is a huge series for Nintendo I don't see them dropping this series anytime soon Sakurai could easily pass the torch and allow someone else to develop the games in his place he did that to the Kirby series so it stands to reason he can do the same for Smash Bros.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Sakurai being supervision would make sense for future titles, but at the same time keep in mind that the guy doesn't do everything to begin with. So to see him step aside won't heavily deteriorate the quality of the games.
Agreed. Many believe he is responsible behind a good chunk of the development when he mostly just supervises it. It won't really change it too much.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Lol sakurai neither confirmed nor denied that kirby is a girl. the fact that it's in question marks doesn't solidify your case either. And google translate sucks. If kirby was a girl, wouldn't they distinguish that like they did with lala? like I said, he's an it. and many sources, like the anime treat him as a he. But again I don't want to be off topic. Kirby's not a girl..
Kirby's whatever I want it to be at the time. Yellow Kirby for life.

And lol, Google translate, that's your fault for not being able to read it well, not mine.

Can't believe you're still trying to drag down my view though, it's silly.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Has X been confirmed to be a Xenoblade sequel?
No, but Xenoblade has its own Puzzle board in whatever that puzzle thing is, and Iwata mentioned it by name in the Direct.

That means it isn't really a one off title that isn't a big deal. It's become a notable game. I just think with that info, an "X" protagonist is basically out of the question, and right now is when the game/series has its time to shine. Shulk is the go to character for Xenoblade and X, even if it's not a direct sequel or whatever.

@ Gunla Gunla I would add Snake. I'm confident he'll stay for multiple reasons.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Enough about the whole Kirby gender business, guys. It's off-topic and seriously detracting from the purpose of the thread.
The Staff already warned us once, let's not have them come and do it again.

Last edited:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Honestly, even though I respect Sakurai, I feel the game could get better in some of the gameplay areas with a new guy in charge. Sakurai does however generally do a good job picking characters and making movesets for them, which would be one area that would struggle if he left,

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
No, but Xenoblade has its own Puzzle board in whatever that puzzle thing is, and Iwata mentioned it by name in the Direct.

That means it isn't really a one off title that isn't a big deal. It's become a notable game. I just think with that info, an "X" protagonist is basically out of the question, and right now is when the game/series has its time to shine. Shulk is the go to character for Xenoblade and X, even if it's not a direct sequel or whatever.
Fair enough

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Question:

You have Mega Lucario and Mewtwo sharing boxes with their "normal" versions. Am I correct in assuming that's intended to represent their Final Smash?

That aside, it's fine.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Enough about the whole Kirby gender business, guys. It's off-topic and seriously detracting from the purpose of the thread.
The Staff already warned us once, let's not have them come and do it again.
Thank you.

Seriously guys, either take this whole Kirby gender discussion to the social thread or just drop it. If this off topic discussion continues, infractions will be handed out.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It really is up in the air, but I believe at least one will have their mega form in smash as an FS.
In that case, I'd suggest just using the regular Mewtwo/Lucario icons. I mean, you aren't having Boswer and Wario share boxes with their FSs, so.....

Just a minor aesthetic things.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's time for a snazzy new roster with a snazzy new look! Introducing 8.0! :shades:

Explanations:

Size - Since Brawl had 18 newcomers, I felt 45 was too little, so I went for 16. It's still less, but there certainly won't be as many newcomers this time.

Dixie Kong - I would argue Dixie is the most deserving Donkey Kong newcomer. She's a very important protagonist and very often appears alongside Donkey & Diddy. I don't think Sakurai is going to add King K. Rool if Dixie is not in first. Not to mention she is a semi-clone which would leave room for more characters.

Toon Zelda/Tetra - If you want to pretend it's just Tetra by herself, please go ahead. I certainly think that's a possibility too. I added this character because Tetra is very popular, deserving, recurring, relevant, and plays an important role. I think she is the best choice for a Zelda newcomer (Though Vaati is a very good choice too). While I partly added her to have 5 Zelda slots, I still think Tetra is deserving enough to be in regardless of that.

Ridley - Popular and iconic Nintendo villain. He's highly requested, unique, and overdue.

Samurai Goroh - He is a moderately popular Nintendo villain from a very classic Nintendo franchise. He's incredibly important to F-Zero which is an underrepped franchise and practically the only one that hasn't gotten it's sidekick/rival character. Considering most franchises have gotten the characters they need, there is certainly room for him this time around. Sakurai does care about representation. He stated that Zero Suit Samus was added partly because he wanted a second Metroid character. New installments usually feature additions to franchises that haven't gotten any since their debut too. So given Samurai Goroh's importance and F-Zero being a franchise that deserves a second character, I think this character is highly likely.

Palutena - She's a popular contender that Sakurai seems to have a thing for, giving her a lot of spotlight and Brawl. He's also giving Kid Icarus more spotlight in the new Smash now that it has become a rebooted franchise.

Robin - Being from Awakening actually has nothing to do with why I have Robin. I know Sakurai doesn't just blindly add "teh must recent Fire Emblem lord". I have Robin because the Avatar/Tactician is likely going to become a thing in future Fire Emblem games from now on. He's also the most unique Fire Emblem nominee as well as a different unit which brings variety.

Mach Rider - Sakurai says he wants to bring back more older characters. So I figure if there is going to be two then one should be international. And with Balloon Fighter out of the way, none would be more recognized and deserving than Mach Rider. I have doubts about him due to his major similarities to Captain Falcon, but there could always be exceptions to characters like that in special cases. Sakurai also said he likes the idea of Mach Rider.

Takamaru - He's basically a shoe-in imo. Being a popular, iconic, and deserving retro game on the famicom, with several references throughout history including in international games.

Tabuu - I think Tabuu might get in as a unique surprise character and that Sakurai will add a Smash Original character to the roster this time.

I'm seriously considering maybe adding Pac-Man btw. But, do tell me what you think. :)
Still has Tabuu,which I still question. But I think it's a good roster anyways.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
In regards to Shulk and the new game, he's basically in the same position as Ness. Ness was only in his single game, while both the game before it and the sequel had completely different sets of characters, yet Ness is still seen as the face of the series. If the series got a character, Shulk would be the go-to guy for the job.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I'm counting on Robin though, as far as I see it he's the only real stand-out of the bunch. Rosalina's inclusion did make me more hopeful that Sakurai is going to go with the most interesting choice.

I think that if Ridley misses this round, he's basically out. It could easily be argued that he was outprioritized by more important additions in Brawl, but not this time, if he isn't in Sakurai has a specific reason for not thinking he's feasible as a character. On the other hand, a character like K. Rool could easily make it into the next game if he misses this one, since his eventual inevitable return to the DKC franchise would boost his chances to shoe-in status for the next game, the only reason he wouldn't be included this time around is because Nintendo seems to be ignoring him as of lately, and even then I'm surely counting on him making it in this time around.
I agree with you about Ridley that's why I'm hoping he gets in

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, I'm trying something new. Cuts. And a formulaic design!
View attachment 8646
This roster speaks for itself, but there are a few notations.
-Dixie Kong I put at a near-same level as K Rool. If you disagree with this, pretend K Rool is there.
-Same goes for Lucina.
-Lucas, R.O.B. Wolf and Snake were cut. I personally believe there will be some cuts this time around, and it may be more or less than what I have predicted. Cut in this order: ROB, Lucas, Wolf, Snake. I didn't want to cut Snake, but it ended up as Takamaru or Snake.
Newcomers are as follows:
-Rosalina & Luma
-Dixie Kong*
-Tetra
-Little Mac
-Waddle Dee
-Ridley
-Lucina*
-Palutena
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Takamaru
-Mega Man

Feedback is appreciated, but biased hate isn't, please leave it at the door.
I love how the groups are faced downwards yet Fox and Falco are to the side.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
In regards to Shulk and the new game, he's basically in the same position as Ness. Ness was only in his single game, while both the game before it and the sequel had completely different sets of characters, yet Ness is still seen as the face of the series. If the series got a character, Shulk would be the go-to guy for the job.
There's also the fact that the new X game has the chance of releasing after Smash Bros. If we get X related stuff, it's Shulk.

I love how most of the groups are faced downwards yet Fox and Falco are to the side.
Wolf was to the right of them. I intended them to be in there to show cuts (with a 10th row of cuts and a random icon), but then people would get confused.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom