• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Oh please Sakurai do these! :drflip:

- Daisy as a Peach skin

- Dr. Mario as a Mario skin

- Roy as a Marth (or Lucina) skin

- Epic Yarn Kirby as a Kirby skin

- Boshi as a Yoshi skin

Ohhhhh... just think about the possibilities! :drohyou:
Personally, I hope he doesn't do most of those as alts. While it would be really cool to have so many characters, I would much prefer each unique character got their own slot, even if they are complete clones. Oh well, from the sounds of it we will indeed be getting separate characters as alts, I'll just have to live with it and hope that somebody figures would a way to mod the game to give them their own slots before long.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Has anyone even read this post? It seems like a logical explanation:

If I saw "Protagonist from FEA" I would also assume that it was Chrom. The leak is still real, only very outdated. What this means? Shulk and Chorus Kids have at least been considered and have a good chance of making it. Also, other charactes still have a chance if Sakurai decided to add them in 2013 or perhaps even later.
Just another excuse people have made for the "leaker". He has never claimed anything like that. Heck, he hasn't even claimed that his information is "outdated".

But I guess he doesn't need to defend himself. Other people will come up with all kinds of ridiculous explanations as to why his info was wrong.

domokl

Smash Lord
if he said protagionst from fe a then he wouldve said that like he said pokemon from x and y. he wouldnt have said chrom. he would have said the placeholder. gematsu is dead

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Personally, I hope he doesn't do most of those as alts. While it would be really cool to have so many characters, I would much prefer each unique character got their own slot, even if they are complete clones. Oh well, from the sounds of it we will indeed be getting separate characters as alts, I'll just have to live with it and hope that somebody figures would a way to mod the game to give them their own slots before long.
Like who? i understand Daisy but... well Dr. Mario is way too much like Mario (he could be a clone to make happy the Melee players), Bossy is a cool Yoshi..., Roy... well IMO these's the only way we are going to get Roy if we do get him (Lucina killed his chance of comming back at least as a clone)

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Also if the leak is that outdated then that means that Shulk and Chorus Men were not in development but considered instead, there is a chance that they were cut

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm still a bit unsure whether to further believe in the Gematsu leak or not, but even though there were a number of questionable things such as Chrom not being playable, Rosalina not on the list etc, what if the remaining points made were still true like Shulk and Chorus Men etc.

Which is why I'm going to leave this leak for a while and await for further confirmation within the next two months to see what unfolds before jumping into conclusions.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
the only reason the gematsu leak survived is because its literally one or two lucky guesses which then led people to bring up all kinds of excuses because they dont want to be wrong.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't believe the Gematsu leaker have been making **** up or was lucky, but I do believe there has been some heavy misinformation on his side. I do still consider Shulk very likely, but Chorus Men could go either way. The important thing for me is that the 47 character roster theory died since we got an additional newcomer.

mark welford

Smash Ace
what I think is (I know I will be hated for this) that the roster the will be the same as brawl plus more, minus some I know king k. rool and ridley are popular and all but I don't see them coming and gets tiresome after a while of people begging for them and I don't mind if im the only person who thinks like that

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
The leak is dead. Anyone trying to justify it still being alive is like how the non-believers were before. Groveling because what they put so much stock into is gone, and they feel forsaken. But seriously, don't give up your accounts or anything. We're a loving community. Just DON"T DO IT AGAIN.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
what I think is (I know I will be hated for this) that the roster the will be the same as brawl plus more, minus some I know king k. rool and ridley are popular and all but I don't see them coming and gets tiresome after a while of people begging for them and I don't mind if im the only person who thinks like that
If you're tired of people begging for them, then the only solution to that is to add them to the game. Otherwise, people will just keep asking.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Like who? i understand Daisy but... well Dr. Mario is way too much like Mario (he could be a clone to make happy the Melee players), Bossy is a cool Yoshi..., Roy... well IMO these's the only way we are going to get Roy if we do get him (Lucina killed his chance of comming back at least as a clone)
I'm fine with characters like Dr. Mario, it was mostly Daisy, Roy, and Boshi. Though I guess Boshi might work out fine, I just see Yoshi as a character of his own and not just a generic Yoshi.

My general rule for alts I would be okay with is that you can technically call them by the same name as the main character. Boshi and Lucina walk the line, but I would be okay if they were alts (though Lucina is obviously a separate character). I'm all for characters like Dr. Mario, Mr. L, etc. Or if they named Olimar "Pikmin Captain" and threw in the rest of them as well.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Man, I just made myself really sad. Besides Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu, I just thought of another perfect character that's dreams got crashed by Megaman. Sissel from Ghost Trick :( that had been awesome. Warning though, searching him may give huge spoilers to the game.

Speaking of which the Sissel alt for Phoenix Wright in UMvC3 are the kind of alts I'm fine with.

Last edited:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The Gematsu believers kept shoving the leak down our throats, but now us non-believers are starting to shove the misinformation down theirs. Take a chill pill. Let's just wait before deciding what's real and what's fake.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Man, I just made myself really sad. Besides Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu, I just thought of another perfect character that's dreams got crashed by Megaman. Sissel from Ghost Trick :( that had been awesome. Warning though, searching him may give huge spoilers to the game.

Speaking of which the Sissel alt for Phoenix Wright in UMvC3 are the kind of alts I'm fine with.
Megaman destroyed my dream of seeing Ryu M. Bison in Smash. Oh man would I love to see that Psycho Crusher in Smash.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
People should also remember that Sakurai said that Chrom was difficult to make because he seemed generic, and would be "another sword user". I dont think he would have any difficulty in making a moveset for the Chorus Kids or Shulk, so I think they have decent chances still.

I honestly feel the leak is just outdated. That gives me so much hope for Lucas now

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Considering Chrom did legitimately seem to be planned at one point, the most likely situation is Gematsu is fairly outdated, not fake and not completely dead.

There are still aspects of it which could indicate future roster reveals, all Robin proved was not to follow it blindly.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Considering Chrom did legitimately seem to be planned at one point, the most likely situation is Gematsu is fairly outdated, not fake and not completely dead.

There are still aspects of it which could indicate future roster reveals, all Robin proved was not to follow it blindly.
Chrom was never planned. He was considered.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Chrom was never planned. He was considered.
If we do end up getting Shulk and a RH character, I think assuming Chrom was indeed planned at one point would be a fairly safe thing to do. Sakurai rarely paints a full picture of what actually happened in development. Last time he eliminated the possibility of an AC character because they were too peaceful and didn't fit with the fighting atmosphere of Smash, and pretty much everyone took that to mean he just rejected the possibility at point blank, not that he attempted to include an AC character and couldn't, and therefore conjured up a statement about them being too peaceful to fight.

Just because all Sakurai said was Chrom was considered doesn't mean the possibility of him also being planned can be ruled out. Doing that would be disregarding pretty much the entirety of Gematsu, which likely was accurate for that point in time of development.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Its funny how everyone treated Gematsu as the Holy Bible. Now theyre all banishing it to the depths of Hell.

Come now. I think it does have some credibility and accuracy. Plus, I feel as if the prediction of not Mii, but "Mii Fighter", is a nice nod in the leaks favor.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If it weren't for him leaking the Wii Fit Trainer, I'd think of it as nothing. However, I like how characters that are not on the leak are seeing more support.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, but whats the "Gematsu informant's" story? I must know.
I said it in the post you quoted.

It basically says Gematsu mistook Lucina for Chrom and Marshall for Chorus Man/Men
No.
It was that (as I said in the post that was quoted) the informant saw "Protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening" in his source of info and assumed it was referring to Chrom, not thinking about Awakening having two protagonists that the placeholder could refer to; Chrom and Robin.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just another excuse people have made for the "leaker". He has never claimed anything like that. Heck, he hasn't even claimed that his information is "outdated".

But I guess he doesn't need to defend himself. Other people will come up with all kinds of ridiculous explanations as to why his info was wrong.
...it's always been assumed that it was outdated.

If you don't want to believe it then whatever. But it has gotten enough things right to be pretty convincing. It being outdated and having Chrom instead of Robin makes it fit. I'm not making excuses, i'm using evidence to back my claim.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

If you don't want to believe it then whatever. But it has gotten enough things right to be pretty convincing. It being outdated and having Chrom instead of Robin makes it fit. I'm not making excuses, i'm using evidence to back my claim.
And if the leak is outdated, we can't trust it anymore

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I think the only way we can tell in any way, shape or form if the gematsu leak was in any way, shape or form reliable is if Shulk does get into the game. People tend to forget this, but there was a fifth part of the leak the morning Robin and Lucina were revealed, and he did say that Shulk was 100% getting in.

People can say that he's just trying to cover up his mistake, but when was the last time that another leaker of Smash tried to cover up his own error? Until then, just look at it as a reliable template on who might actually get in, and then add a few more.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
And if the leak is outdated, we can't trust it anymore
I disagree.

It got one thing wrong, and a bunch of things right. Just because that happened doesn't mean Shulk and Chorus Men are scrapped, or that Ridley is magically going to be in. It still has legitimacy to it no matter how you slice it.

D

Deleted member

I've read that "excuse" as being a legitimate statement by the informant. I'm not trying to make up random excuses as to justify the informant being wrong about Chrom.

In fact, I've messaged Sal about it to verify whether or not it was actually said.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It's outdated and incorrect so it's truly invalid, however, we can possibly use it for speculation purposes. Basically, I think we should keep it close, but nowhere near as close before Robin's reveal. And this is coming from someone who wants to see it gone completely.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I disagree.

It got one thing wrong, and a bunch of things right. Just because that happened doesn't mean Shulk and Chorus Men are scrapped, or that Ridley is magically going to be in. It still has legitimacy to it no matter how you slice it.
When did Gematsu say anything about Ridley? It's pretty obvious that they didn't know/didn't reveal all of the newcomers. If you're saying that Ridley isn't in because Gematsu didn't say he was, then you're going to have to explain Rosalina.

You're right that Gematsu doesn't suddenly become worthless, but that doesn't mean that everything else they said is completely accurate either. Chorus Men could easily have been switched out for another Rhythm Heaven rep since then, or even potentially be cut altogether. The leak tells us stuff that was true at that point in development, not necessarily what ends up in the final game.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I disagree.

The leaker has information when Chrom was considered, meaning that Shulk and Chorus could have been scrapped too, Shulk may be one of the newcomers but considering they were having troubles with the ice climbers then it should be fairly obvious that they would have even more troubles with the chorus men and could have been scrapped and replaced with someone else, the guy probably had info about the e3 and guessed the rest knowing the wii fit trainer would make everyone worship and blindy believe everything he says, oh and I don't need an outdated leak to know that Ridley is in, I just need to make a quick analyzis instead of relying on a wrong leak because frankly, Ridley has way more evidence compared to Shulk and Chorus Men to be playable

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

Just because it has "always been assumed" (which isn't even true) doesn't change the fact that it's an excuse people came up with for the "leaker", rather than something he stated himself.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So according to Famitu, Sakurai doesn't care if alt costumes share different names from the main character. As long as they can share the same sized model, they can work as an alt-costume.

So I think this rules out Dark Pit as a clone and he'll likely be an alt costume. Still leaves Dixie on the table though for a Diddy clone (take peanuts and make it bubble gum) and maybe Impa for a Sheik clone.

MrThatkidalex24

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrThatKidAlex24
You cut Ganondorf? o_o
Ya, with his clone status, absence from Skyward Sword, and not officially in Hyrule Warriors, i think Ganondorf might be cut ONLY for this game. Come Smash 5 he will probably be in more games and replace Ghirahim. Plus Miley Cyrus would be an awesome Ghirahim alt :p

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
So according to Famitu, Sakurai doesn't care if alt costumes share different names from the main character. As long as they can share the same sized model, they can work as an alt-costume.

So I think this rules out Dark Pit as a clone and he'll likely be an alt costume. Still leaves Dixie on the table though for a Diddy clone (take peanuts and make it bubble gum) and maybe Impa for a Sheik clone.
Bubble gum, gliding mechanics, hair grabs/throws and normal attacks. Yeah, I can see Dixie being a prime candidate for semi-clone. Impa makes the most sense as a Sheik alt to me.

?????????????

Smash Master
We already know that the Gematsu leak doesn't have all the information; we knew that when Rosalina was a newcomer, and we know that even more now with Robin as a newcomer and Chrom not being one.

However, we also can be fairly certain that the leak isn't just "lucky guesses." The leak has too many specific character choices that were not obvious picks, such as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and for me, even Palutena, Pac-Man, Miis, and a newcomer from Pokemon X/Y were not obvious picks.

My feeling? I am glad that the leak isn't 100% true. It allows me to be free in my speculation without someone yelling "GEMATSU" at me. It also allowed me to be pleasantly surprised at Robin's inclusion over Chrom. However, that doesn't mean I can immediately dismiss Gematsu as fake. It would be entirely unsurprising to see Shulk and Marshal, nor would it be disappointing. But they may not be the only newcomers left.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
We already know that the Gematsu leak doesn't have all the information; we knew that when Rosalina was a newcomer, and we know that even more now with Robin as a newcomer and Chrom not being one.

However, we also can be fairly certain that the leak isn't just "lucky guesses." The leak has too many specific character choices that were not obvious picks, such as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and for me, even Palutena, Pac-Man, Miis, and a newcomer from Pokemon X/Y were not obvious picks.

My feeling? I am glad that the leak isn't 100% true. It allows me to be free in my speculation without someone yelling "GEMATSU" at me. It also allowed me to be pleasantly surprised at Robin's inclusion over Chrom. However, that doesn't mean I can immediately dismiss Gematsu as fake. It would be entirely unsurprising to see Shulk and Marshal, nor would it be disappointing. But they may not be the only newcomers left.
Even with the Chrom blunder, its record is still impressive. All this tells us is that the leaker is prone to filling in the blanks with his own conclusions. That's a pretty bad habit to have if you want to be taken seriously, but that's neither here nor there. I think the leak will at minimum forecast Shulk correctly. The Chorus Kids will be the most telling, since realistically speaking, numerous characters from Rhythm Heaven could be playable: Wrestler, Karate Joe, Marshal, Chorus Kids, or even MC Adore.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Pretty much what pizza said. I also love that the leak gives me hope that some of the decisions he apparently made, particularly Lucas, are outdated.

I still think its outdated. Mii fighter seems way too specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom