• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
So.

If Pittoo is his own character, does that mean we get Dark Link, Dark Toon Link and Blood Falcon in the game as well?

These are all costumes used by a character that is actually another character.
See Dark Pit in this exact situation, at best I think he would be an AT or Boss

Niala

Smash Ace
Hello Number1Joker. Still joking about, I see.

So.

If Pittoo is his own character, does that mean we get Dark Link, Dark Toon Link and Blood Falcon in the game as well?

These are all costumes used by a character that is actually another character.
See Dark Pit in this exact situation, at best I think he would be an AT or Boss
I feel like he's not quite in that situation, but you're right in saying that he's perhaps having too much assumed of him. He has a few notable differences from, at least, Dark Link (don't even know who Blood Falcon is.) First of all, Pittoo is actually relevant to the plot, he doesn't appear once, is fought, and then disappears forever. Secondly, it's much easier for the director of smash bros to show bias towards a game if he also made that game, which is true for Uprising. If we are going to see more newcomer clones, Dark Pit seems infinitely more likely for that alone than any other character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
And Wario cuz of Mario having the Wario palette. Wait.....
Eh...I disagree with that comparison. If you're comparing Mario/Wario to Pit/Dark Pit, that's not really the same thing.

Mario and Wario, while sharing overalls and what have you, don't have the same proportions. Pit and Dark Pit have roughly the same proportions and a few aesthetic differences. Dark Pit, if he were give slight changes to his costume and voice changes, could easily be an Alternate Costume to pit. Wario...not so much.

Especially when you consider the fact that Dark Pit is basically the palette swap from Brawl, it seems just as viable. To me at least.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I think Dark Pit would be best as an alt.

And also, please ignore that person. Obviously, they're trying to stir up trouble, using homophobic slurs, so don't even bother.

D

Deleted member

Eh...I disagree with that comparison. If you're comparing Mario/Wario to Pit/Dark Pit, that's not really the same thing.

Mario and Wario, while sharing overalls and what have you, don't have the same proportions. Pit and Dark Pit have roughly the same proportions and a few aesthetic differences. Dark Pit, if he were give slight changes to his costume and voice changes, could easily be an Alternate Costume to pit. Wario...not so much.

Especially when you consider the fact that Dark Pit is basically the palette swap from Brawl, it seems just as viable. To me at least.
I don't consider that, actually. It may have served as an inspiration, but there's too many differences between the "Fallen Angel" pallete and Dark Pit.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Dark Pit as a separate character would be an issue due to color swaps; it would be incredibly easy to confuse the two as Dark Pit is aesthetically a color swap of Pit. They would probably have to make Dark Pit's color swaps contain darker colors and have Pit's color swaps contain lighter colors, but even then it's kind of an issue because they're both so identical.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Its hard to tell what Dark Pit is, he looks like he has gotten an updated design to differentiate him from Pit, and he has a much larger role in Uprising then most other dark alts have, and lets not forget who made Uprising.

D

Deleted member

Dark Pit as a separate character would be an issue due to color swaps; it would be incredibly easy to confuse the two as Dark Pit is aesthetically a color swap of Pit. They would probably have to make Dark Pit's color swaps contain darker colors and have Pit's color swaps contain lighter colors, but even then it's kind of an issue because they're both so identical.
You mean like how it's an issue to confuse Mario and Luigi in the middle of a fight?

Or in Melee, having to resort to whether or not Link is wearing tights to determine whether he's Young or not in the heat of the match?

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
You mean like how it's an issue to confuse Mario and Luigi in the middle of a fight?

Or in Melee, having to resort to whether or not Link is wearing tights to determine whether he's Young or not in the heat of the match?
No, it's because Dark Pit isn't a Pit model with physical alterations, he's literally Pit with a color swap. Mario & Luigi and Link & Young Link have size and facial differences that help in not getting them totally confused with each other.

Shroob

Sup?

The only qualm I have of them, is that they're more or less 1:1 a carbon copy. Same height, same features... Literally the only difference I see is their coloration and Dark Pit's more angry expression. They'd have to change something, or else under the effect of the Metal Box, they'd look exactly the same.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
The only qualm I have of them, is that they're more or less 1:1 a carbon copy. Same height, same features... Literally the only difference I see is their coloration and Dark Pit's more angry expression. They'd have to change something, or else under the effect of the Metal Box, they'd look exactly the same.
If Dark Pit does end up being a character, he will most likely have a different main weapon than Pit, which would solve that issue a bit.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
That's a good point, he would have to be carrying that weapon at all times though. I'm guessing that if that were to happen he'd be holding his Dark Pit Staff.

D

Deleted member

No, it's because Dark Pit isn't a Pit model with physical alterations, he's literally Pit with a color swap. Mario & Luigi and Link & Young Link have size and facial differences that help in not getting them totally confused with each other.
When standing still.
When in action, you'd be a liar if you said it never gets tricky telling who's who.
At least in Mario's and Luigi's case, they don't share palettes, but Link and Young Link in Melee? You'd have to (as I said) resort to skin vs. tights.

Of course, the simplest solution doesn't even occur you guys; even if Pit and Dark Pit shared the same palette options for their tunics, one has brown hair and white wings (that gain tints of the color of the palette) and the other has black hair and wings.
And since there's the inevitable "Young Link had a different sword and shield, so you could tell it was him by those" counter to above, Pit has a gold bow that doesn't change color (and has rings of light on his arm) while Dark Pit has a silver bow that doesn't change color (and lacks any rings of light).

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Not when their animations/sizes/proportions differ. It can get tricky sometimes but 98% of the time I know exactly who I'm going for.

Remember in Brawl that Pit's hair and wings changed for different color swaps. That could change, but as previously stated a character who is a mere color swap cannot be. I like the idea of Dark Pit having a different primary weapon (not the Silver Bow) to differentiate the two, which is much better in supporting Dark Pit's inclusion than the argument of the colors mattering/not mattering.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Just give him a different standing pose and a different weapon, that's all that's need to be done to easily make him different.
Don't just bring up the colors as the conclusion that Dark Pit can't be playable.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

A comparison of the two, Dark Pit doesn't have that thing on the hand and the shoulder clothing seems different, they would probably be as different (maybe a little less) as Mario and Luigi.

Have Dark Pit use a different Bow and they become more different.

Just because he was a Pallet swap in Uprising doesn't mean he'll be the same here.

Shroob

Sup?
I sorta wish they'd give him Pit's old Brawl specials even if it doesn't make sense, but I doubt it. The fact that Dark Pit can fly means him having the Power of Flight would make total sense.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
When standing still.
When in action, you'd be a liar if you said it never gets tricky telling who's who.
At least in Mario's and Luigi's case, they don't share palettes, but Link and Young Link in Melee? You'd have to (as I said) resort to skin vs. tights.
Devil's advocate.
It didn't seem that hard to keep track of them, really.

The solution you suggested for Pit/Dark Pit is otherwise definitely valid, though.

D

Deleted member

Remember in Brawl that Pit's hair and wings changed for different color swaps.
The only drastic change was the Fallen Angel palette, which obviously would not be featured if Dark Pit was playable.

Outside of that, the only palette that changed the hair was the red palette, which made his hair red.
The same palette has been shown in Smash 4. It does not turn his hair red but instead applies a reddish tint this time.

His other two known palettes, both from Brawl, are relatively unchanged as well. Though the yellow palette actually gives Pit's brown hair a yellowish tint this time.

Outside of the Fallen Angel palette, the only palette that did more to his wings than apply a tint of color based on the palette (which I previously mentioned) was the blue palette which turned his wings blue.
Though I'm pretty sure if it still did that that no one would be stupid enough to confuse blue wings for black wings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Just give him a different standing pose and a different weapon, that's all that's need to be done to easily make him different.
Don't just bring up the colors as the conclusion that Dark Pit can't be playable.
Boom shakalaka. @GoldenYuiitusin, there's the colors issue, but the weapon idea blows it away. Although it would be nice to still see Dark Pit in darker-colored colors even with a different choice of weapon. Would you be inclined to agree, at least in regards Dark Pit having a different choice of primary weapon sans the Silver Bow?

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think the odds of Dark Pit being included as a stand alone character have now drastically increased with the inclusion of Lucina, at least when it comes to cosmetics. Dark Pit has plenty of things he can use that Pit does not, and I could easily see him become a unique fighter all his own.

D

Deleted member

Boom shakalaka. @GoldenYuiitusin, there's the colors issue, but the weapon idea blows it away. Although it would be nice to still see Dark Pit in darker-colored colors even with a different choice of weapon. Would you be inclined to agree, at least in regards Dark Pit having a different choice of primary weapon sans the Silver Bow?
Why worry about that, when you can just replace the Upperdash Arm and Guardian Orbiters with different weapons such as the Dark Pit Staff and some Palm/Cannon/Blade/Claws/etc. and he's not a complete clone?

Beam Claws seemed rather popular with Sakurai, how 'bout those?

Khoru

Smash Champion
on the topic of DP, would anyone have a decent 3d roster maker icon for him?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
What are Pits taunts? Because a Dark Pit voiceover also might not work with some of them.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Why worry about that, when you can just replace the Upperdash Arm and Guardian Orbiters with different weapons such as the Dark Pit Staff and some Palm/Cannon/Blade/Claws/etc. and he's not a complete clone?

Beam Claws seemed rather popular with Sakurai, how 'bout those?
That's what I was just saying, replace some of his weapons with some like the Dark Pit Staff and such. It would do wonders in differentiating him from Pit.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Lol you really remembered that? Haha but you got one in the exact way I would have expected. A clone (Lucina) or alt of Robin. I never had a problem with you wanting a female FE rep, I had a problem with you dismissing people's rosters and not believing leaks just because a female FE rep was not there. I get your bias (I mean look at all the c-tier anime looking chicks in your sig) but it has to be dismissed for where evidence is at the given moment.

Edit: Left this out. But seriously, I'm happy for you nonetheless, congrats!
I do remember it! Honestly after that and a few other discussions with people dismissing me for me not thinking Chrom was in, I got fed up and left the boards for a while. I felt disrespected, but then again I might've just been acting like a baby. (I don't want peoples thoughts on that part.) The only problem I had was how you acted there was pretty much no way Chom wasn't in because of the leak. But now that it's all behind us, I'm over it. Let's all get back to some speculating without any restraints.

Oh one last thing. Conn0r I think you are referring to the IdolM@ster characters when you say anime girls. They are all from a Namco IP and actually originate from Video games and not from anime. (Even though the anime based off of the game is amazing.)

Guys, this is a perfect example. Let's not shoot down others hopes. You can disagree with them. But don't treat them like Hitler or something. This is all about fun! Isn't that the point of smash? Anyways, enough of me blabing. I'm going to bed. Good night!

P.S. I hope I'm not being a hypocrite here. I'd like top apologize to anyone who felt I was rude toward them. I leave in September so I want to leave with a good reputation. Actually, reputation might not be the right word. But I just want to make sure I leave with no enemies.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If Popo ends up being his own character due to technical issues lets have Nana be her own character too instead of just being an alt for Popo. She's her own character with her own name and her hair style and more girly colored clothes are different enough from Popo's to make her stand out from Popo. Have her use the vegetables she collects in her game for her moveset so she won't be a complete clone.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Lot of confusion on Dark Pit in this thread.. There's no arguing that he was a palette swap in Brawl and his character was inspired from its design, but if you play Uprising you know he is his own character. Pit is a goody goody who doesn't do anything without Palutena's say so, Pittoo is a rebel and acts on his own accord. Both share the same VA, but he uses a notable change in pitch when portraying Pittoo. Their intentions, motives, and personalities are different. Each is his own character.

As much as some people argue it wouldn't make sense if Lucina was a skin because she isn't Marth, the same goes for Pittoo who isn't Pit.

D

Deleted member

If Popo ends up being his own character due to technical issues lets have Nana be her own character too instead of just being an alt for Popo. She's her own character with her own name and her hair style and more girly colored clothes are different enough from Popo's to make her stand out from Popo. Have her use the vegetables she collects in her game for her moveset so she won't be a complete clone.
Your attempt at sarcasm was neither humorous nor insightful.

0/10.
See me after class.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I honestly never thought Ridley was going to be in the game until Sakurai "deconfirmed" him during the direct. Sakurai trying to hype up a boss who already appeared in the last game just doesn't make any sense. I'm sure he knows most people would be underwhelmed or just upset if he was a boss again. Also, Ridley's shadow behaved nothing like the Ridley boss in Brawl, which seems odd if he really was a boss(I assume Sakurai's team would reuse the assets from brawl instead of creating a new Ridley boss who behaves differently). The folks at the Ridley thread even found out that the shadow likely belonged to a smaller, playable sized Ridley. We didn't get to see Pyrosphere during the demo, which indicates that Sakurai is hiding something. But the main reason why I think Ridleywill be in is because he is one of the most wanted newcomers, and it makes no sense for Sakurai to relegate Ridley to boss status again, especially after teasing him for so long. We know Sakurai sometimes makes questionable roster decisions, but we also know he tries to bring the most fan requested characters as well. It just makes sense for Ridley to be in this game.

I'm really sure why I just wrote that mini rant on Ridley. My only other roster predictions are K. Rool & Mewtwo (not really a newcomer but w/e) since they're on the same level in terms of fan demand and just seem likely in general. Also, Takamaru has a good shot making it since Nintendo seems to have a desire to bring him back for whatever reason. A Zelda newcomer is possible if we go off that Trophy Theory, but I don't really care who it is since Tingle already got deconfirmed, I doubt Sakurai even knows who Vaati is, and Onox has a lower chance than Master Chief. Oh yeah, Shulk and a RH rep still seem as likely as ever. any other newcomers will surprise me and might be clones.

I'm not even sure what I'm writing, it's like 2am.

D

Deleted member

Here is Sakurai's column of, its an interesting read on why Chrom didn't get picked: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121384840&postcount=8201

This especially sticks out

I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
edit

I'm once again too old for this

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Great job Sakurai, wise choice. Very wise. I like the way you think.

I'm glad Chrom is where he is. I really am. I'm happy he's in to the degree he's in.

D

Deleted member

I am neither happy nor upset at Chrom's position.
The only thing I cared about was how Sakurai would handle him.

I got my answer; Chrom was too bland to work with and thus was edged out in favor of Robin.
Can't blame him; I would've done the same thing.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
You know, after Sakurai's explanation, I know how much he loves Fire Emblem, and his reasoning for the newcomers makes sense, and makes for a happy closure as a diehard Chrom supporter.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
Well, what about this situation:
The characters in the website are listed in groups of nine. What if when all characters get revealed all squares get filled? Well look at the image above and you will understand:

Look, groups of nine. Below I started to put the name of the characters we all agree that are going to return. Nine characters. We all agree that we are going to get more newcomes, then I had to start another group. This group have the name of the characters that have some risk of not returning. Four characters. Then we have other five spaces to be filled.

So, If we are not going to get white squares in the official site, the roster have the size of 54 characters.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the number of "spaces" on there varies depending on your monitor's aspect ratio.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Yeah, he handled it all pretty well. I didn't prefer for Chrom to be in the game at all but the way he is in the game I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom