• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The only thing "realistic" about Snake was his physics.

Outside of that, you could put a picture of Captain Falcon, Snake, and Zero Suit Samus all standing by each other, take it to someone who has never played Smash, Metroid, F-Zero, or Metal Gear, and they could believe those characters are all from the same game.

To be fair there are gun toting Robots in that picture.
And there are those in Smash as well.
Hell, one of them is a Newcomer! :4megaman:
:troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
When I first made my roster I thought 50+mii was a bit optimistic. Now I think its too conservative. My new 55+mii roster:
Prediction Expanded Roster.png

The additions to my my 50 Character roster are: Takamuru (who was on the 50 until Lucina), Second DK newcomer (who was on my 50 at some point), Anthony, Krystal and Black Shadow. (My colour scheme is green for brawlers, yellow for meleee, red for newcomer, blue for confirmed - although that should be obvious. I don't know why Bandana Dee is green, but can't be bothered fixing it now) For the record I think K. Rool is much more likely than Cranky, and that Adam Malkovich is probably more likely than Anthony, but bugger him.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The fact that Lucas is not there physically pains me. Alas, I can not do without him. Other than that, good roster!

As for the Miis, I don't know where they'd be on the roster, or how, but I think they'll just be a regularly-sized slot, either replacing the random button or next to it.
Believe me, I didn't want to cut Lucas. But I didn't want to make my roster too large, and in order to fit in all the characters I wanted and expected, Lucas had to go. I'd add him in if I had one more slot.

Fair point about the Miis, but it seemed like an easy way of making 51 slots look half decent. I might edit it in the future.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Ridley: Believe it or not, I am actually quite confident in Ridley's chances. And this is coming from someone who previously thought he was practically de-confirmed after the Direct. At this point, it seems clear to me that Ridley is playable.
How come? I'm still confused as to why people think he isn't deconfirmed. The wing that was seen in the Direct has some purple coloration. Meta Ridley's wings are always this pure yellow with white lines pattern. Has something new come up?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Just because he got in doesn't mean everyone has to agree that he fit in with the rest of the cast. To me he always seemed too "realisitic," I thought he just stood out, and not in a good way.

If you think he did fit then that's perfectly fine, but people can still disagree despite his appearance in Brawl.
Yeah, only I'm not saying my opinion is the final word. Sakurai's opinion is final. And he said a few months ago, concerning third parties, that Snake was a great addition. So, he obviously thinks Snake fits on the roster. Our opinions don't mean much, but I'm using Sakurai's opinions as proof.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
How come? I'm still confused as to why people think he isn't deconfirmed. The wing that was seen in the Direct has some purple coloration. Meta Ridley's wings are always this pure yellow with white lines pattern. Has something new come up?
That was very clearly a tail. Other M Ridley's tail, to be precise.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Believe me, I didn't want to cut Lucas. But I didn't want to make my roster too large, and in order to fit in all the characters I wanted and expected, Lucas had to go. I'd add him in if I had one more slot.

Fair point about the Miis, but it seemed like an easy way of making 51 slots look half decent. I might edit it in the future.
I did a 4X13 roster, 52 slots, with 51 characters (Miis being three in one of course). The last slot is a random button.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601

I've been staring at this roster for a few hours, and I'm not satisfied with it yet. Sceptile isn't it, so don't even. But, things like the overall size, and what adding Dark Pit would do I have serious mixed feelings about.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
That was very clearly a tail. Other M Ridley's tail, to be precise.
When watching the shadow, the pattern in which the figure comes onto the screen and then goes out seems to match with the movements of the wing.
But I suppose it doesn't really matter for my argument/question whether it's a tail or a wing.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

I've been staring at this roster for a few hours, and I'm not satisfied with it yet. Sceptile isn't it, so don't even. But, things like the overall size, and what adding Dark Pit would do I have serious mixed feelings about.
I'd like Mewtwo over Sceptile... but Sceptile's good I guess. I like your choices, however. I'd be very thrilled with this roster. Claus/Masked Man is my most wanted Mother newcomer.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Yeah, only I'm not saying my opinion is the final word. Sakurai's opinion is final. And he said a few months ago, concerning third parties, that Snake was a great addition. So, he obviously thinks Snake fits on the roster. Our opinions don't mean much, but I'm using Sakurai's opinions as proof.
Nobody's opinion is final, not even Sakurai's. If I don't think Snake fits, then I don't think he fits. You can't use someone's opinion as proof, that's not how opinions work.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

Sceptile over Mewtwo and Masked Man? Mother doesn't need another character

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Nobody's opinion is final, not even Sakurai's. If I don't think Snake fits, then I don't think he fits. You can't use someone's opinion as proof, that's not how opinions work.
The fact that he was in Brawl, and well-received by Sakurai, invalidates the belief that he should be cut because "he doesn't fit". If he didn't fit in the first place, he wouldn't be in Brawl. Point blank.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You know seeing all these prediction rosters lacking Chrom really makes me feel better. Like a weights been lifted.

I don't usually do this. But look @ Con0rrrr Con0rrrr I actually did get a "precious female Fire Emblem character." 2 in fact.

Never lose hope guys. Because in Smash, anything is possible.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
When watching the shadow, the pattern in which the figure comes onto the screen and then goes out seems to match with the movements of the wing.
But I suppose it doesn't really matter for my argument whether it's a tail or a wing.
Yet Ridley's tail is clearly the part of his body closest to the ground, and it's a perfect match with his tail from Other M, which would be the model he would most likely use.

Anyway, I find Ridley to be incredibly likely for quite a number of reasons that would take too long to fully explain, so I'll just sum them up real quick:

1.) Ridley was never mentioned by name or officially stated to be a boss. Sakurai is usually very clear when he shows a non-playable character. Nintendo even went out of their way to tell everyone Chrom wasn't playable after his appearance at the end of Robin's trailer.

2.) If Ridley's a boss, then Sakurai is apparently trying to hype up Ridley being in the exact same role he had in Brawl, as well as Dead or Alive. Sakurai also seems to dislike copying other games.

3.) The way Ridley has been teased (no mention of his name, teased to be non-playable) is very similar to how characters like Palutena and Little Mac were teased prior to their reveals.

4.) Based on a number of analyses and comparisons, Ridley's shadow suggests that the Ridley we saw could be the size of a large playable character, about the size of Bowser. At the very least, he doesn't seem to be huge. Why would they make a boss small?

5.) The Ridley we saw doesn't act like a boss. There is nothing to suggest Ridley ever attacked once during that long clip of him flying around. This not only fails to match up with how bosses have traditionally functioned in Smash (Brawl Ridley included), but it's also really just bad boss design.

Yeah, I had to cut out a lot of detail for that, but that's the basics of it all. To me, the evidence seems to clearly point towards a playable Ridley.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I'd like Mewtwo over Sceptile... but Sceptile's good I guess. I like your choices, however. I'd be very thrilled with this roster. Claus/Masked Man is my most wanted Mother newcomer.
My OCD says Grass/Water/Fire, and I also just prefer Sceptile over Mewtwo altogether. I think it's definitely between the two of them, and picking one ultimately comes down to personal preference and other bias.

The Masked Man is my second most wanted, previously first. Robin became my #1 around a couple months ago, and now he's revealed, so Masked Man is next on my list.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Here's my roster! Thoughts?
View attachment 18482
It seems like a pretty good roster overall. I think my only real complaints are Dixie over K. Rool (personal preference, either one is a good choice), and the lack of Ridley, who I do honestly think is fairly likely now, for reasons I just stated. But other than that, it's a solid roster overall.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Kill Sceptile for Mewtwo and kill Masked Man for Krystal and its perfect.

P.S. I also think Dark Pit will be in. And Chorus Kids so Id probly add them too whether I like it or not.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Why does everyone think Ridley is more likely now? I know about the Trophy Quiz theory, but is it more than that that leads people to believe, like some other non-Gematsu leak?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why does everyone think Ridley is more likely now? I know about the Trophy Quiz theory, but is it more than that that leads people to believe, like some other non-Gematsu leak?
People, myself included, find Ridley likely due to a large amount of evidence in his favor, and due to basic logic. We don't need a leak to be confident in Ridley.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
What is that logic, if I may ask?

Besides shadow analysis and Pyrosphere teasing and the time passed since the Pyrosphere reveal.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
The fact that he was in Brawl, and well-received by Sakurai, invalidates the belief that he should be cut because "he doesn't fit". If he didn't fit in the first place, he wouldn't be in Brawl. Point blank.
You realize that you're talking about him not being in somebody's "Ideal Roster" right? They didn't think he fit in, so they didn't include him in their ideal roster. Nobody here has said that he should be cut because he doesn't fit, just that they don't want him in the game because they don't think that he fits in with the rest of the cast. It doesn't matter if he was in Brawl or not, people can disagree with Sakurai.

More on-topic, just something I've noticed with a lot of rosters on here. Many of them that I've seen don't follow the franchise order that was seen in the demo roster. There's nothing really wrong with that, I've just found it really useful to follow that order while making my rosters, as the characters we see in the demo are more than likely set up in that order so that all of the rows end up having the same amount of characters (potentially excluding the bottom row). I've found a few times that some reps simply don't fit with the order that the demo has, suggesting that a certain franchise won't get as many reps as I was originally thinking.

Just some advice, but they're your rosters so you can do whatever you want with them.

domokl

Smash Lord
You realize that you're talking about him not being in somebody's "Ideal Roster" right? They didn't think he fit in, so they didn't include him in their ideal roster. Nobody here has said that he should be cut because he doesn't fit, just that they don't want him in the game because they don't think that he fits in with the rest of the cast. It doesn't matter if he was in Brawl or not, people can disagree with Sakurai.

More on-topic, just something I've noticed with a lot of rosters on here. Many of them that I've seen don't follow the franchise order that was seen in the demo roster. There's nothing really wrong with that, I've just found it really useful to follow that order while making my rosters, as the characters we see in the demo are more than likely set up in that order so that all of the rows end up having the same amount of characters (potentially excluding the bottom row). I've found a few times that some reps simply don't fit with the order that the demo has, suggesting that a certain franchise won't get as many reps as I was originally thinking.

Just some advice, but they're your rosters so you can do whatever you want with them.
Do we really need to specify the size of the roster in the demo DOSENT matter again?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
A grass starter is just not happening, Greninja wasn't added to represent Water starters, he was added to represent the newest generation and Sakurai felt Greninja was the most appealing Pokemon of that generation. By the time he realized he was adding a water starter to the roster it would have been to late to add a grass starter, and there was no reason for him to have added a grass starter before that point.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Do we really need to specify the size of the roster in the demo DOSENT matter again?
I never said anything about size. I'm just saying that it's really unlikely that the order in which the franchises are in will suddenly change when you unlock the full roster. Brawls demo roster was the same way.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
You know seeing all these prediction rosters lacking Chrom really makes me feel better. Like a weights been lifted.

I don't usually do this. But look @ Con0rrrr Con0rrrr I actually did get a "precious female Fire Emblem character." 2 in fact.

Never lose hope guys. Because in Smash, anything is possible.
Lol you really remembered that? Haha but you got one in the exact way I would have expected. A clone (Lucina) or alt of Robin. I never had a problem with you wanting a female FE rep, I had a problem with you dismissing people's rosters and not believing leaks just because a female FE rep was not there. I get your bias (I mean look at all the c-tier anime looking chicks in your sig) but it has to be dismissed for where evidence is at the given moment.

Edit: Left this out. But seriously, I'm happy for you nonetheless, congrats!

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Lucina sure is a cutie, I'm glad they put her in, but that's not the only reason I'm happy about it, but a secondary reason, maybe...

Weeman

Smash Crusader
So, with all the stuff that's happened recently... Here's a roster.

View attachment 18468

New Characters

King K. Rool: My personal choice for a Donkey Kong newcomer. With the Kremlings in Smash Run and the rumor of a Chunky Kong Assist flying around, I feel that he has a fair chance. Regardless of his chances, he would be a fantastic addition.

Ridley: Believe it or not, I am actually quite confident in Ridley's chances. And this is coming from someone who previously thought he was practically de-confirmed after the Direct. At this point, it seems clear to me that Ridley is playable.

Shulk: He's a good character from a good game with a lot to offer to Smash. An overall solid character choice, I think.

Mewtwo: My most wanted character by far, and one that I think has more than enough justifications. There's a fair amount of evidence in his favor, as well.

Rhythm Heaven Something: In case you didn't notice, I have a number of outdated or inaccurate pictures for this roster. Sorry, technical difficulties. Anyway, I do think it's likely that the Gematsu leak had at least some real information at some point, and the presence of a Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash run makes it seem like a playable character is a real possibility. Chorus Men seem the most likely, but I suppose that could have changed as well. I have it as a placeholder for now.

Cuts

Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle, and Ivysaur: I probably don't need to explain this one. With Charizard solo, there's no need for the others.

Snake: He's not entirely out of the question, but I feel like a Third Party reveal like him would have been shown at a big event by now. Pity...

Lucas: This one is kind of iffy. The Gematsu leak mentioned a debate about whether to cut Ness or Lucas, with Ness being the more likely to stay, but that information is outdated, and at this point we don't know if it's even trustworthy. But if it's true there was such a debate, I feel like keeping them both is a less than likely outcome. I could be wrong, though.

Notes

The three Miis on the side are meant to represent one large slot set aside for the Mii Fighters. I don't know if that's how that will actually work, but it gives me a nice place to put them.

So, any thoughts about this roster?
Someone needs to update those icons :awesome:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Someone needs to update those icons :awesome:
Yes, yes I do. Unfortunately, I have an outdated version of roster maker, and due to technical issues I can't update it or add new icons. I'm limited to the ones that came with the program. I suppose I could figure out a way to get the icons I need, but I think that would be a waste of time for something I don't really need.

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
Y'know, for the longest time I always thought the idea of Ridley in Brawl was insane, but you guys have me convinced he has a pretty good shot after reading some of these posts. I can actually see it as viable, especially after seeing Charizard come back as a solo character.

Not 100% sure about K. Rool, though. Why wasn't he used in the DKCR games, again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom