• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Has anyone given the connection of the goddess theme in the Trophy Quiz section to Fi? I won't go into spoilers, but I feel it connects more to her than any other Zelda character. And the songs are obviously suggesting the character. I think Fi would be a great addition if they make her similar to Hyrule Warriors!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Has anyone given the connection of the goddess theme in the Trophy Quiz section to Fi? I won't go into spoilers, but I feel it connects more to her than any other Zelda character. And the songs are obviously suggesting the character. I think Fi would be a great addition if they make her similar to Hyrule Warriors!
What if.. we did get a non-Toon Zelda Newcomer that was Impa, with a moveset and design based off her Hyrule Warriors incarnation? How would you feel about that?

Morbi

Scavenger
I would feel that way if I did not believe that the trophies were not the allusions. Ghirahim seems to be the most logical, even without his theme, as in my opinion, that would be too overt. Impa is certainly another plausible theory.

Morbi

Scavenger
Lucina got her own slot because she had enough differences from Marth to justify her being her own character. I don't think Dark Pit does, I mean he's literally a mirrored version of Pit.
Of course, but I believe that he does have enough differences. Does he not have his own voice? I am not entirely sure about that one. However, he does have a distinct personality. He has the ability to fly on his own. And most importantly, in my opinion, is that he has his own name, Pittoo. Pit is a front-runner on the roster and if Awakening merits two characters, one a clone. I believe that Uprising does as well. ESPECIALLY, because they already changed Pit's move-set a little. Pittoo could be more reminiscent of Brawl's version of Pit.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Of course, but I believe that he does have enough differences. Does he not have his own voice? I am not entirely sure about that one. However, he does have a distinct personality. He has the ability to fly on his own. And most importantly, in my opinion, is that he has his own name, Pittoo. Pit is a front-runner on the roster and if Awakening merits two characters, one a clone. I believe that Uprising does as well. ESPECIALLY, because they already changed Pit's move-set a little. Pittoo could be more reminiscent of Brawl's version of Pit.
I think the things with Lucina is that she's different size/weight (which they can control but meh) while Dark Pit is the same physical characteristics as pit. Stuff like Voice is possible with alts ala male/female robin. That's not to say they couldnt make him unique as he supossedly has a unique enough movepool, I just think its different from Lucina's situation.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
What if.. we did get a non-Toon Zelda Newcomer that was Impa, with a moveset and design based off her Hyrule Warriors incarnation? How would you feel about that?
Impa... I don't know. I'm a huge Zelda fan but I don't get the hype around her you know? I feel she'd be a Shiek clone. Also, I don't know if the Zelda series needs another female ninja like rep. Greninja and Shiek fill that role enough in Smash.

Edit: Also, her older designs lips creeped me out when I was younger lol

Fi, at least to people not big fans of Zelda would seem genderless in the face of smash for the most part (even though she is a girl), and could be a good magic user of the Zelda franchise. I could see them going against canon to let her use elements that don't make sense for Zelda or Link to use. Hyrule Warriors shows Fi's potential.
I would feel that way if I did not believe that the trophies were not the allusions. Ghirahim seems to be the most logical, even without his theme, as in my opinion, that would be too overt. Impa is certainly another plausible theory.
I get it. I completely forgot that Fi was the trophy, she would just be the Zelda rep I support most since I'm not a fan of Ghirahim and Impa hasn't show any individuality to me. Just makes me realize how much the Zelda series needs more supporting characters that are in most games. Sakurai y u make Skull Kid assist Trophy

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Dark Pit voice actor is the same as Pit's but he makes there voices different. Pittoo is just a joke name, Dark Pit hates being called it, and the fact that Palutena (the person who came up with the name) calls him Dark Pit in her trailer rather than Pittoo, it's clear he's going to just be referred to as Dark Pit in this game. I don't know how you'd be able to implement him being able to fly on his own and make it different from Pit and I don't see why they'd bother giving him Pit's old moves, they got rid of the moves for a reason.

Morbi

Scavenger
Dark Pit voice actor is the same as Pit's but he makes there voices different. Pittoo is just a joke name, Dark Pit hates being called it, and the fact that Palutena (the person who came up with the name) calls him Dark Pit in her trailer rather than Pittoo, it's clear he's going to just be referred to as Dark Pit in this game. I don't know how you'd be able to implement him being able to fly on his own and make it different from Pit and I don't see why they'd bother giving him Pit's old moves, they got rid of the moves for a reason.
Pittoo is his name in my heart! Regardless, that (his flight) is precisely why you would implement him as his own character. I can find the quote if you wish, but Sakurai asserts that if the character has slightly different abilities that they warrant their own slot. So his ability of flight might give him a new recovery move whereas everything else is largely the same. As for the "they got rid of the moves for a reason" aspect of your post. I do agree, I was just offering a suggestion that might differentiate him.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Pittoo is his name in my heart! Regardless, that (his flight) is precisely why you would implement him as his own character. I can find the quote if you wish, but Sakurai asserts that if the character has slightly different abilities that they warrant their own slot. So his ability of flight might give him a new recovery move whereas everything else is largely the same. As for the "they got rid of the moves for a reason" aspect of your post. I do agree, I was just offering a suggestion that might differentiate him.
It's just the ability of flight, he can share the same recovery, besides
He loses the ability to fly on his own later in the game, so that ability doesn't even need to be implemented.

D

Deleted member

Bear in mind that Uprising has dozens of weapons available that Dark Pit doesn't have to be a clone.
Pit only uses
-Palutena Bow
-Upperdash Arm
-Guardian Orbiters

...and while Dark Pit tends to favor the Silver Bow (a recolor of the Palutena Bow with different properties), he has the aptly named Dark Pit Staff in his arsenal.
If we're trying to avoid weapon-type sharing aside from Bows (for obvious reasons), there are still
-Staves (Dark Pit Staff)
-Claws
-Blades (Dark Pit has a specialized First Blade that uses dark ammunition)
-Cannons (Dark Pit uses the EZ Cannon against Pit)
-Clubs (Ogre Club is associated with Dark Pit)
-Palms (Dark Pit uses the Violet Palm against Pit)

Though Clubs already have an item in the Ore Club (Ore, not Ogre).

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
It's just the ability of flight, he can share the same recovery, besides
He loses the ability to fly on his own later in the game, so that ability doesn't even need to be implemented.
I did not insinuate that they NEEDED to implement the ability or that it was an indefinite ability, I was just citing that Sakurai feels that if the character has different abilities that the character warrants a slot.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I still think Dark Pit will be just an alt look for Pit. Why would he be a secret character when he looks exactly like regular Pit except with a colour swap?

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Lucina got her own slot because she had enough differences from Marth to justify her being her own character. I don't think Dark Pit does, I mean he's literally a mirrored version of Pit.
In all fairness, Uprising!Pit has an arsenal large enough to fill probably 5 characters.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I did not insinuate that they NEEDED to implement the ability or that it was an indefinite ability, I was just citing that Sakurai feels that if the character has different abilities that the character warrants a slot.
It's not if they have an ability in the game they come from that the character they're trying to be an alt of doesn't, it's if they have different abilities in the moveset they're given. He said Lucina wasn't an alt because the power of her attacks were different which he chose to do when he later decided making her her own character. Point is Pit and Dak Pit both fly, it doesn't matter how they're able to do it as long as the recovery move functions exactly the same the same.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Note that in Palutena's trailer, Dark Pit was shown to be able to use Pandora's power to fly as evident by the purple glow in his wings as opposed to blue (Palutena using Power of Flight on him) or green (Viridi using Power of Flight on him).
This is despite being unable to do so by the end of Uprising. Another case of canon being ignored, just like Pit even having the Three Sacred Treasures as a Final Smash after Hades destroyed them.

So being a more aerial centered character than regular Pit isn't too farfetched.

I also accidentally found out a few details about Pit and Dark Pit that differentiates the two in design outside of just palette.
Look at their scarves.
Pit has a solid white scarf.
Dark Pit's scarf is solid gray except for the right side being black like his tunic with a gold end.

Same gold end is present on his sleeves and his tights, which Pit does not have.
There is also a gold line-like pattern on the legs of his tights which Pit does not have either.

And, a detail that most people probably already know, the design on the hems of their tunics are different.

All of these are minor touches of differentiation, but at least show that Dark Pit isn't literally just a palette swap. Kind of like Blood Falcon.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
They're still colour swaps it wouldn't make sense to have Dark Pit a seperate character.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
The difference between Lucina and Dark Pit is that Lucina isn't a colour swap of Marth like Dark Pit is to Pit.
Dark Pit isn't just a color swap. He is his own distinct character with motivations, goals, and of course abilities.

You know something simple that'd make Dark Pit really different from Pit? Give him a hover. Seriously, that can change so much with of his playstyle so easily.

Khoru

Smash Champion
it'd be possible for dark pit to have palettes with accents of black, instead of white

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Much like is often argued for Ridley, isn't it odd that Sakurai/Nintendo didn't come out and clarify that Dark Pit is an alt for Pit? The vast majority of the time, when there's confusion about something like that it's cleared up in a pic of the day or by a statement from Nintendo like they did with Chrom.

There's also the fact that Mr. Game and Watch was shown off in a very similar manner, simply appearing at the end of a newcomer trailer with no definite confirmation of playability.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Dark Pit isn't just a color swap. He is his own distinct character with motivations, goals, and of course abilities.

You know something simple that'd make Dark Pit really different from Pit? Give him a hover. Seriously, that can change so much with of his playstyle so easily.
He is just a colour swap. Physically there is nothing that would give him reason to be playable. Personality has literally nothing to do with making him physically look different to Pit.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
He is just a colour swap. Physically there is nothing that would give him reason to be playable. Personality has literally nothing to do with making him physically look different to Pit.
And this is grounds for disclusion how?

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
It's not weird that they didn't come out and say he's an alt. Because he is not as big of a deal as you guys are making him, if Dark Pit was in in the same way that Lucina is, we would have had splash text saying so. He's gonna be an alt or a stage boss on Palutena's Temple. It just makes sense.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It's not weird that they didn't come out and say he's an alt. Because he is not as big of a deal as you guys are making him, if Dark Pit was in in the same way that Lucina is, we would have had splash text saying so. He's gonna be an alt or a stage boss on Palutena's Temple. It just makes sense.
Thank you! Someone else using common sense.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
How is it not weird? No matter how big of a deal he is, it is most definitely odd that they didn't clarify that he's an alt afterwards. Every other time there has been confusion (excluding examples in which the confusion is on purpose and they want to keep people guessing), Sakurai or Nintendo has clarified things soon afterwards.

Whether you think he's a character, an alt, or a boss, you have to admit that's a bit weird.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
How is it not weird? No matter how big of a deal he is, it is most definitely odd that they didn't clarify that he's an alt afterwards. Every other time there has been confusion (excluding examples in which the confusion is on purpose and they want to keep people guessing), Sakurai or Nintendo has clarified things soon afterwards.

Whether you think he's a character, an alt, or a boss, you have to admit that's a bit weird.
It's not that weird. Because people in this thread are treating a one dimensional character that is a simple pallet swap as a big deal when obviously he's not prominent enough to warrant any further clarification.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
How is it not weird? No matter how big of a deal he is, it is most definitely odd that they didn't clarify that he's an alt afterwards, regardless of what role he ends up playing in the game. Every other time there has been confusion (excluding examples in which the confusion is on purpose and they want to keep people guessing), Sakurai or Nintendo has clarified things soon afterwards.

Obviously Dark Pit's appearance is meant to be confusing on purpose and they want to keep us guessing.

D

Deleted member

Ignoring details of Dark Pit's design that doesn't match Pit, if we can get away with a slightly smaller Link with no tights or gloves in Melee and get away with the generally just a Mario recolor Luigi, I don't see the issue in having a darker recolor of Pit as long as he has different gameplay properties (or Special Moves if that's an option).

Roster issues aside, PSASBR was able to get away with Cole and Evil Cole (who aren't even separate individuals like Pit and Dark Pit/Pittoo) being nothing alike. Again, ignoring that there's more differences to design than just color, what issue would there be if Smash did the same?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Ignoring details of Dark Pit's design that doesn't match Pit, if we can get away with a slightly smaller Link with no tights or gloves in Melee and get away with the generally just a Mario recolor Luigi, I don't see the issue in having a darker recolor of Pit as long as he has different gameplay properties (or Special Moves if that's an option).

Roster issues aside, PSASBR was able to get away with Cole and Evil Cole (who aren't even separate individuals like Pit and Dark Pit/Pittoo) being nothing alike.
Yeah but Toon Link and Luigi have very different models.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
It's not that weird. Because people in this thread are treating a one dimensional character that is a simple pallet swap as a big deal when obviously he's not prominent enough to warrant any further clarification.
I don't think there's really anything in Smash that isn't prominent enough to warrant further clarification. If a good amount of people are confused about something such as this, the reason it's not getting clarified isn't simply because Dark Pit isn't prominent enough to warrant one.

You would expect him to at least be mentioned in a pic of the day by now. I'm not sure whether he'll end up being a character or not, but it is definitely odd that Sakurai has pretended he doesn't exist since the trailer.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Dark Pit was in Palutena's trailer, and there was no mention of it. No splash text, no confirmation, nothing. I don't think he's an alt, but I also don't think he'll be playable either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom