• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
OH HEY GUYS. GEMATSU ISN'T DEAD. Just a little outdated is all.

Sakurai commented in Famitsu that he considered Chrom at one point, but chose Robin because he couldn't come up with anything to make him stand out. That coincides with the idea that the leak is outdated. So Shulk and Chorus Men/Marshal are still fair game.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Sakurai also talked about characters being alternate costumes for different characters saying that if a character has a close relationship with another character, even if the two characters' names and voices differ, and as long as they function the same way, they will be assigned as alternate costumes. The way he talked about it made it sound like he has already assigned characters as alternate costumes, and while he opted to not make Lucina an alternate costume (saying she was VERY LUCKY to join the roster as her own character) I think we can expect it for other characters *cough Dark Pit cough*.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Sakurai commented in Famitsu that he considered Chrom at one point, but chose Robin because he couldn't come up with anything to make him stand out. That coincides with the idea that the leak is outdated. So Shulk and Chorus Men/Marshal are still fair game.
Well, as long as it shuts up the people treating Gematsu as more than Sakurai and the people who say that "this is all we get," I'm happy. Shulk and Chorus Men I'm happy with: more characters than just that I'm also very happy with.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Stop talking about leaks in the CHARACTER discussion! If you want to talk about leaks, go talk about them in the leak thread!

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Yeah I believe this as well, which is good news for the people who liked the leak. Im just glad we will be getting others though.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601

But Shulk and Chorus Men were already still fair game. There's just a doubt about Chorus Men, now.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Sakurai also talked about characters being alternate costumes for different characters saying that if a character has a close relationship with another character, even if the two characters' names and voices differ, and as long as they function the same way, they will be assigned as alternate costumes. The way he talked about it made it sound like he has already assigned characters as alternate costumes, and while he opted to not make Lucina an alternate costume (saying she was VERY LUCKY to join the roster as her own character) I think we can expect it for other characters *cough Dark Pit cough*.
Then I guess we can all count on Dark Pit as an alternate costume. Obviously calling the Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin by gender is not necessary. So the only thing that may be necessary is to give him differentiating colors and call him specifically Dark Pit.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Are you thinking of Impa having a Sheik-like moveset?

Given her Hyrule Warriors appearance, I'd like to think she'd be more of an Ike clone, now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Stop talking about leaks in the CHARACTER discussion! If you want to talk about leaks, go talk about them in the leak thread!
I thought all leak threads have been locked.

Also, the Sal leak does literally only involve characters, if i'm not mistaken.
At the very least, Shulk and a Rhythm Heaven Character are in. Now to discuss potential clones...
You have no idea how relieved i feel knowing shulk is still in.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Yeah. She literally has no canon combat-style moves. Then again, I don't think Sheik did either. Besides Vanish and kinda Transform.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
At the very least, Shulk and a Rhythm Heaven Character are in. Now to discuss potential clones...
I think Lucina is the only new clone, I think every other potential clone will become alternate costumes. Like Dark Pit to Pit and maybe Alph to Olimar. Also Nana to Popo if the do become separate.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the number of "spaces" on there varies depending on your monitor's aspect ratio.
Nope, I windowed my browser and squished it, and it still stayed as a set of nine, meaning it doesn't fit to the monitor's aspect ratio. Nine really does appear to be coded onto the website.

If that's the case, the final website could possibly end up displaying this as our final selection of characters.

ThoseGoddamnWebsiteRows.png

If Gematsu Leak is still credible, two of those newcomers will be Shulk and Chorus Kids/Marshal.
If we're lucky, we'll receive Mewtwo and Snake as returning veterans.
Ridley is in the game, boss or not, meaning if he's playable that's another one.

That still leaves room for either the return of Squirtle and Ivysaur, or two newcomers. If they're newcomers, I'm guessing one will be K. Rool while the other could be a padded clone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As I told JohnKnight in the other thread, if the "Gematsu informant's" story is the truth, then Chrom is a case of mistaken identity rather than being outdated.
The informant claims that like "Pokémon from X/Y", he saw "Protagonist from Fire Emblem Awakening" and assumed it was referring to Chrom without considering Awakening's other protagonist.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As I told JohnKnight in the other thread, if the "Gematsu informant's" story is the truth, then Chrom is a case of mistaken identity rather than being outdated.
The informant claims that like "Pokémon from X/Y", he saw "Protagonist from Fire Emblem Awakening" and assumed it was referring to Chrom without considering Awakening's other protagonist.
Not necessarily. The interview from Famitsu says directly that Robin replaced Chrom. Chrom was planned at the beginning, meaning it could make sense for this AND the PKMN X/Y thing to be a part of it.

I need to go to bed though. But yeah. Shulk and a RH character are pretty much in. At least theres something else to talk about now.

D

Deleted member

Not necessarily. The interview from Famitsu says directly that Robin replaced Chrom. Chrom was planned at the beginning, meaning it could make sense for this AND the PKMN X/Y thing to be a part of it.

I need to go to bed though. But yeah. Shulk and a RH character are pretty much in. At least theres something else to talk about now.
Nowhere does it say Robin replaced Chrom or that Chrom was planned from the start.
All it says is that Sakurai considered Chrom and decided against him due to lacking unique characteristics.

Considering is the act of thinking carefully about something before making a decision.
Planning is the act of deciding on something and arranging it in advance.
This is not just for you, but for everyone that makes this mistake: Considering is the not the same as planning. Planning is the next step after considering.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Nowhere does it state Chrom was "replaced" by Robin. Chrom was considered, we don't know to what extent. As was Robin, and the idea to make Lucina a simple alt costume (ala Overalls Wario). Furth- Err, ninja'd by this point.

I'm gonna link a post I just made in the Ridley thread if you guys would like to see. @ IsmaR IsmaR gave me permission to have the second post on the entire thread and I used it to compile the various Smashboards posts over these past few months. It's worth a read! http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...rank-the-splounge-water.324284/#post-14609370
It turned out better than I thought it would, though I can't help but feel that it's missing a few things, like the size comparisons from Angelglory, the Meta Ridley "campaign" by Yuiitusin, and the a few others that slip my mind.

Nonetheless, good work.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Nowhere does it state Chrom was "replaced" by Robin. Chrom was considered, we don't know to what extent. As was Robin, and the idea to make Lucina a simple alt costume (ala Overalls Wario). Furth- Err, ninja'd by this point.

It turned out better than I thought it would, though I can't help but feel that it's missing a few things, like the size comparisons from Angelglory, the Meta Ridley "campaign" by Yuiitusin, and the a few others that slip my mind.

Nonetheless, good work.
I would be more than happy to add them tommorow morning if someone PMs me the links

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I called it! I called the Chrom/Robin dynamic! And we got confirmation! Guess that makes me a leaker, except I was a little off in my reasonings behind Lucina becoming her own character (I knew the connection was Marth, but I predicted it was due to her being her own character). Now to try and envision as many alternate skins as possible (too bad we now know that Marth is without an alternate skin of his own; at least Lucina's is interchangeable midbattle via taunt, though).

Of course, there is still one last hurdle for the gematsu leak, and it isn't the Chorus Kids (one can cite problems similar to the Ice Climbers for that, and we know we're getting a Rhythm Heaven representative). If Shulk isn't playable, then the leak is officially fake. He gave it the guarantee, so we all know this is serious. Fortunately for him, Monolith Soft seems to be on the leaker's side since they practically gave him away last weekend, and Adam Lowden almost a two whole months ago. So, we'll wait and see with him (now I am convinced the Foul-Mouthed leaker is legit).

Nope, I windowed my browser and squished it, and it still stayed as a set of nine, meaning it doesn't fit to the monitor's aspect ratio. Nine really does appear to be coded onto the website.

If that's the case, the final website could possibly end up displaying this as our final selection of characters.

View attachment 18507

If Gematsu Leak is still credible, two of those newcomers will be Shulk and Chorus Kids/Marshal.
If we're lucky, we'll receive Mewtwo and Snake as returning veterans.
Ridley is in the game, boss or not, meaning if he's playable that's another one.

That still leaves room for either the return of Squirtle and Ivysaur, or two newcomers. If they're newcomers, I'm guessing one will be K. Rool while the other could be a padded clone.
Of course, all that is assuming that the Mii Fighters share the Random icon (which very well could happen) and that Lucas will indeed return. If Lucas is gone, then that's ten more returning veterans plus eight newcomers. I predict seven more reveals altogether before launch tops--five veterans and two newcomers. Mega Man, Luigi, Toon Link, Sonic, Pac-Man, Lucina, and Captain Falcon are all unlockables we know of. That means our starting veterans I'm predicting are Wario, Ice Climbers, Falco, Meta Knight, and Ness, while Chorus Kids and Shulk will be newcomer starters.

Now for our remaining six newcomers, and believe me when I say--all six of them have solid evidence to support them. They are Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Dark Pit, Mewtwo, and Ghirahim. I predict a villain's trailer showing off all of these guys last.

Potential DLC? I'll list off the following: Captain Toad, Lucas, Rayman, Blaziken, Dixie Kong, and Hades are all likely candidates, assuming that none of them are alternate skins already.

Edit: 9x6 does seem like a reasonable estimate for the 3DS, doesn't it?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I posted this in another thread but I think it should be brought up here.

I read the famistu interview and what stroke me was this:

Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
I feel it's very important. It seems like Sakurai's decision is influenced by how "convenient" the interpretation of the character would be in smash. So, if a character is interpreted by a moveset that would seem "too forced" or "too searched", it wouldn't sound appealing to Sakurai.

That's how I viewed it but I still think it should be noted.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand. The Gematsu leak was wrong, right? People say it's outdated and such, which I also believe, but wouldn't that make the leak unreliable? Thus basically killing it anyway? I still believe Shulk is making it, but I'm having doubts about Chorus Men. Also, going by what Sakurai said, Chrom was never even planned. He only thought about adding him before changing his mind. Gematsu is unreliable and outdated, so we shouldn't make excuses for it and try to claim it's alive again. For all we know, Marshal got in over Chorus Men due to the Ice Climbers 3DS problem. Who knows. Also, going by what Sakurai said, Lucina was VERY LUCKY to become her own character. Meaning we shouldn't expect more clones like her if he considers her an extra, lucky character. All in all, let's lay the Gematsu leak to rest and see what comes our way.

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
I'm sorry, but whats the "Gematsu informant's" story? I must know.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hmmm so Impa might become one of these characters to I guess.

In which case, I still would regard that as a victory.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
If they do have last minute clones ala melee, Impa has to be first in line. Could be either a shiek or Ike clone, depending on how much Sakurai cares about HW, but Nintendo's gonna want a HW shoutout if they can get one to hype their new semi-risky project

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Something interesting from the Sakurai article

In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes.
Exactly my reasoning for why Dark Pit is not a character, but an alt

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

If Gematsu is outdated then that means we can't trust it anymore, How do we know that Shulk and Chorus Men weren't cut during the development? There is evidence for a rhythm heaven character but not for the chorus men, and there is also no evidence for shulk so far

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
As a vivid Paper Mario supporter, I understand where Dark Pit supporters come from. I also understand their arguments for his inclusion. However, like other alternate characters, there are arguments against their inclusion.

All I'm here to say is that Paper Mario, Dark Pit, and Classic Ganon supporters all want the same thing. We want what makes that character. We want to see the content that they could potentially bring in to Smash.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Shulk and a Rhythm Heaven character are definitely in? Just like Chrom was "definitely in?"

My point is that we can't say that those characters are definite just because they were on the Gematsu leak. It got something flat out wrong. It's possible it's wrong about other things. It's too early to start calling characters guarantees just based on a leak. Chrom supporters learned that the hard way, I'm afraid.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Oh please Sakurai do these! :drflip:

- Daisy as a Peach skin

- Dr. Mario as a Mario skin

- Roy as a Marth (or Lucina) skin

- Epic Yarn Kirby as a Kirby skin

- Boshi as a Yoshi skin

Ohhhhh... just think about the possibilities! :drohyou:

domokl

Smash Lord
acutally that article MURDERS gematsu because it said chrom was thought about but never planned. gematsu put him with characters that acutally made it in which dosent make sense. put that with all the other inconsitens and we can call the gematsu leak off for now

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
While I prefer Chorus Kids, I will be 100% ok with Marshal as long as he has the bowtie as an alt costume. :awesome:
im still trying to warm up to him since all the chorus kids bias is welled up in my brain

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Has anyone even read this post? It seems like a logical explanation:
If I saw "Protagonist from FEA" I would also assume that it was Chrom. The leak is still real, only very outdated. What this means? Shulk and Chorus Kids have at least been considered and have a good chance of making it. Also, other charactes still have a chance if Sakurai decided to add them in 2013 or perhaps even later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom