• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
We already know that the Gematsu leak doesn't have all the information; we knew that when Rosalina was a newcomer, and we know that even more now with Robin as a newcomer and Chrom not being one.

However, we also can be fairly certain that the leak isn't just "lucky guesses." The leak has too many specific character choices that were not obvious picks, such as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and for me, even Palutena, Pac-Man, Miis, and a newcomer from Pokemon X/Y were not obvious picks.

My feeling? I am glad that the leak isn't 100% true. It allows me to be free in my speculation without someone yelling "GEMATSU" at me. It also allowed me to be pleasantly surprised at Robin's inclusion over Chrom. However, that doesn't mean I can immediately dismiss Gematsu as fake. It would be entirely unsurprising to see Shulk and Marshal, nor would it be disappointing. But they may not be the only newcomers left.

He deserves.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
We already know that the Gematsu leak doesn't have all the information; we knew that when Rosalina was a newcomer, and we know that even more now with Robin as a newcomer and Chrom not being one.

However, we also can be fairly certain that the leak isn't just "lucky guesses." The leak has too many specific character choices that were not obvious picks, such as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and for me, even Palutena, Pac-Man, Miis, and a newcomer from Pokemon X/Y were not obvious picks.

My feeling? I am glad that the leak isn't 100% true. It allows me to be free in my speculation without someone yelling "GEMATSU" at me. It also allowed me to be pleasantly surprised at Robin's inclusion over Chrom. However, that doesn't mean I can immediately dismiss Gematsu as fake. It would be entirely unsurprising to see Shulk and Marshal, nor would it be disappointing. But they may not be the only newcomers left.
Considering that there seems to be pretty strong evidence in favor of characters like Ridley, I'd say it's highly likely that those Gematsu characters are not the only ones left.

Even with the Chrom blunder, its record is still impressive. All this tells us is that the leaker is prone to filling in the blanks with his own conclusions. That's a pretty bad habit to have if you want to be taken seriously, but that's neither here nor there. I think the leak will at minimum forecast Shulk correctly. The Chorus Kids will be the most telling, since realistically speaking, numerous characters from Rhythm Heaven could be playable: Wrestler, Karate Joe, Marshal, Chorus Kids, or even MC Adore.
If a non-Chorus Men Rhythm Heaven character is playable, I do have to wonder what kind of an impact that would have on the validity of the leak. On one hand, it did predict a character from Rhythm Heaven, but if it were to get the one chosen wrong, it would be hard to say whether or not the Chorus Men was an outdated piece of information, or perhaps a guess that got lucky enough to get the series right.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
How about we all just admit we have no clue? All we do know is Shulk and Chorus Men are still in the running, but we'll have to wait and see how they pan out.

D

Deleted member

Something that bugs me about the Famitsu interview, was that Sakurai basically said "We cut a character for lack of uniqueness, so we added a clone instead." Yes, I would much rather have Lucina over Chrom just for the sake of having more female characters, but the reasoning he used for it is strange. Although the fact Lucina was originally an alt opens the flood gates for better costumes, which is always a good thing. I'm just waiting for Proto Man.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Something that bugs me about the Famitsu interview, was that Sakurai basically said "We cut a character for lack of uniqueness, so we added a clone instead." Yes, I would much rather have Lucina over Chrom just for the sake of having more female characters, but the reasoning he used for it is strange. Although the fact Lucina was originally an alt opens the flood gates for better costumes, which is always a good thing. I'm just waiting for Proto Man.
I want ms PAC man

?????????????

Smash Master
Yeah, the wording is weird, but I think it's because the inclusion was very situational.

All speculation, but to me, what it sounds like is that he wanted to include a character from Fire Emblem Awakening, just like how he wanted to include a new Pokemon from X/Y. Ultimately, he chose Robin as the character because of how much new stuff he brings to the table.

THEN, later on, they wound up having some extra time, and already had plans for a Lucina costume for Marth. So they decided "eh, why not?" and made her a fully playable character.

--

The entire concept of a "Chorus Kids" character always sounded strange to me. I have always interpreted that as a mistranslation to mean Marshal as a standalone, but again, just speculation.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I say, this interpretation is a bit bizarre. What seems to be the case, was it came down to Chrom or Robin and Robin won out. In Lucina's case, she was already in the game, just as a costume for Marth. Due to her having a slightly different hit box though, she lucked out and got her own spot as well. So he didn't "cut a character for lack of uniqueness and add a clone instead". The clone character is an addition that had nothing to do with Chrom or Robin.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If Chorus Men turns out to function how we've been speculating for weeks now, I'm almost positive the origins have a lot to do with those Elite Beat Agent requests way back during Brawl's inception.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
When did Sakurai say Chrom was planned?
Never.
Chrom wasn't cut. He was never planned to be in the game.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
At this point, I don't think it matters whether or not the leak is lucky guess, partially true or true but outdated. Because the biggest worry of being the finals newcomers is obviously false now (implying it wasn't before). The only thing that matters with the leak is for Shulk or chorus men but even then, by being outdated OR not, it still means less reliable and so more precaution should be taken for its consideration.

?????????????

Smash Master
If Chorus Men turns out to function how we've been speculating for weeks now, I'm almost positive the origins have a lot to do with those Elite Beat Agent requests way back during Brawl's inception.
That's highly possible, and awesome, but I think I'd actually prefer a standalone Marshal.

If there is a Rhythm Heaven character, my hope is that their moveset is rhythm/music based, or that the character uses many references to Rhythm Heaven games like G&W or Pac-Man. A feel that while Chorus Kids could also accomplish this, making them a triple character shifts the focus from being rhythm based to being focused on being a triple character.

But that's just personal preference.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
This is an honest question, not some catty remark, but what do you think of "Mii Fighter"? He said that specifically and got it right. That to me is what keeps me with the belief that it is outdated.
Maybe he is working at the e3? That would explain wii fit trainer and mii fighters, the rest are just assumptions

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This is an honest question, not some catty remark, but what do you think of "Mii Fighter"? He said that specifically and got it right. That to me is what keeps me with the belief that it is outdated.
You're not really going to convince someone to believe something they don't feel is credible.

The only thing I will say is you can have credible information that is incorrect. Example: Pokémon X/Y leaks. We have two months until we know for sure; or maybe sooner if next month we get either of the two remaining "leaked" character's trailer.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
He also said "Goddess Palutena" so it could've been a lucky guess. I mean, he has nothing to lose if it isn't the actual name. He called Villager "Animal Crossing Boy" in the original leak and nobody cared.

Obviously, it would be a different situation if he had stated that there would be a Gunner, Swordfighter and Brawler. Or just the fact that there's three types.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ya, with his clone status, absence from Skyward Sword, and not officially in Hyrule Warriors, i think Ganondorf might be cut ONLY for this game. Come Smash 5 he will probably be in more games and replace Ghirahim. Plus Miley Cyrus would be an awesome Ghirahim alt :p
He is officially in Hyrule Warriors (seen in the latest Trailer) which is a non-canon side game that Nintendo authorized but have essentially left solely to Team Ninja. One big factor about Ganondorf that most people don't know about is that he is actually Sakurai's mained character.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hm, didn't remember that he said Goddess Palutena. Eh, I'll still hold onto my belief that it's outdated. After all, it's all in each person's individual perception, so what I find credible may not be for others. Only time will tell.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Hm, didn't remember that he said Goddess Palutena. Eh, I'll still hold onto my belief that it's outdated. After all, it's all in each person's individual perception, so what I find credible may not be for others. Only time will tell.
It's understandable to think that it's outdated, what's not understandable is the belief that the gematsu newcomers are all that we're getting. So I agree with you.

Last edited:

Bloop

Smash Journeyman
To treat the remaining information as fact is silly, as a leak with wrong information puts all information in it into question.
However, to completely dismiss is as completely fabricated is equally silly for one reason.
It's not all the correct characters, it's not even the Wii Fit Trainer everyone points to, it's two words.
Mii Fighter, and it being a last minute update and not the original title he gave it.

I think it's logical to assume they had SOME information, regardless if any of it was outdated, wrong, or just flat out falsified, though now that we know all of it was not correct we can't assume all of the rest is correct, if one thing is wrong any other information could be potentially wrong.
There's no way to confirm or disprove the validity of the last two included characters in the leak, so I feel that really there's no point mentioning the leak here anymore as it has no more bearing on character discussion :p

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
It's understandable to think that it's outdated, what's not understandable is the belief that the gematsu newcomers are all that we're getting. So I agree with you.
These quotes lead me to believe that we won't get much more than gematsu.
"Sakurai expressed a desire to make similar videos for all subsequent new characters."
He wanted to make videos for all new characters, so
"Looks like we're nearing the bottom of the stash of new challenger videos that we've made"

means that they are running low on newcomer videos, and as an extension, newcomers.

regarding sal: the tipper obviously has limited information, and probably happened by the character lists we know now. If he's so sure about shulk it leads me to believe that he has gotten more recent info about him.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
These quotes lead me to believe that we won't get much more than gematsu.
"Sakurai expressed a desire to make similar videos for all subsequent new characters."
He wanted to make videos for all new characters, so
"Looks like we're nearing the bottom of the stash of new challenger videos that we've made"
means that they are running low on newcomer videos, and as an extension, newcomers.
If that were the case then Lucina and Robin would have gotten separate trailers, there will be secret newcomers. Secret characters have already been hinted at with game and watch. Plus with the major hit gematsu took I find it silly to think the newcomers are that limited.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
If that were the case then Lucina and Robin would have gotten separate trailers, there will be secret newcomers. Secret characters have already been hinted at with game and watch. Plus with the major hit gematsu took I find it silly to think the newcomers are that limited.
We already know that lucina is a last minute separation from costume to character, Sakurai likely deemed her not important enough for her own funded trailer.
This is hardly a major hit for the leak, especially after explanations that the famitsu interview has provided.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
We already know that lucina is a last minute separation from costume to character, Sakurai likely deemed her not important enough for her own funded trailer.
This is hardly a major hit for the leak, especially after explanations that the famitsu interview has provided.
The only explanation the famitsu interview provides is the alternate costume upgrade bit. Even with that being the case she's still her own character. That alone should warrant her own trailer, unless not EVERY character is getting a trailer. I find hidden newcomers VERY likely solely because of Game and Watch.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
The only explanation the famitsu interview provides is the alternate costume upgrade bit. Even with that being the case she's still her own character. That alone should warrant her own trailer, unless not EVERY character is getting a trailer. I find hidden newcomers VERY likely solely because of Game and Watch.
So a hidden veteran makes you think we'll get hidden newcomers? That is heavily flawed logic. The article i already linked shows Sakurai's desire to make a trailer for all newcomers.

Even if you think lucina is her own character deserving a trailer, that doesn't mean that Sakurai thinks the same thing. She, as a newcomer, does not have artwork on her main page, and her slot on the website isn't even newcomer sized. It's obvious she was thrown in with Robin, and unless we get more last minute clones like her, then the last few trailers will be our last few newcomers.

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
So a hidden veteran makes you think we'll get hidden newcomers? That is heavily flawed logic. The article i already linked shows Sakurai's desire to make a trailer for all newcomers.

Even if you think lucina is her own character deserving a trailer, that doesn't mean that Sakurai thinks the same thing. She, as a newcomer, does not have artwork on her main page, and her slot on the website isn't even newcomer sized. It's obvious she was thrown in with Robin, and unless we get more last minute clones like her, then the last few trailers will be our last few newcomers.
I think there will be a hidden newcomer because Wolf was one in Brawl.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
The leaker has information when Chrom was considered, meaning that Shulk and Chorus could have been scrapped too, Shulk may be one of the newcomers but considering they were having troubles with the ice climbers then it should be fairly obvious that they would have even more troubles with the chorus men and could have been scrapped and replaced with someone else, the guy probably had info about the e3 and guessed the rest knowing the wii fit trainer would make everyone worship and blindy believe everything he says, oh and I don't need an outdated leak to know that Ridley is in, I just need to make a quick analyzis instead of relying on a wrong leak because frankly, Ridley has way more evidence compared to Shulk and Chorus Men to be playable
The leaker said that Shulk is most definitely going to be playable, so that is going to be the angle in which we will determine whether or not the leak is fake. And while the Chorus Kids could very well get scrapped, the more likely scenario should that be the case would be that they got replaced since the Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run suggests there will still be a representative from that series.

But even if the leak is real and dated, I 100% agree that Ridley has far more evidence backing him up than Shulk and the Chorus Kids; at least he is confirmed to be in the game in some capacity. But I have been watching out for other signs, and I do have an idea on who the rest of the newcomers in the game will be with or without the leak.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wolf, Toon Link, R.O.B. and Lucario I believe (+ the third parties). But yah, unless everyone is a starter now with no unlockables, I think we could be seeing a couple of newcomers as unlockables yes.

Because of Lucina's inclusion....
Confirmed?
I guess that would at least please the Daisy fans to some extend, especially after the whole Rosalina fiasco.

Her face scares me a little for some reason though.....

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
And i don't think so because Sakurai wants to give all characters trailers and has said that the reason there's no cutscenes in 4 is because they'll be leaked.
Having an secret newcomer with a secret trailer would make sakurai contradict himself.

"unlockable" and "secret" are two different things

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Wolf, Toon Link, R.O.B. and Lucario I believe (+ the third parties). But yah, unless everyone is a starter now with no unlockables, I think we could be seeing a couple of newcomers as unlockables yes.

I guess that would at least please the Daisy fans to some extend, especially after the whole Rosalina fiasco.

Her face scares me a little for some reason though.....
XD.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't think the newcomers will be left secret. I think Sakurai is gonna try his hardest to make all of the newcomers appear before the game. However, I'm sure some of them will be unlockable.

D

Deleted member

Regardless of the Gematsu leak being true or false, outdated or not outdated, there is evidence towards a Rhythm Heaven character through the Sneaky Spirit enemies in Smash Run.

It doesn't specifically point at the Chorus Kids persay, but they are still a reasonable option.
Though they aren't the only ones.
-Chorus Kids
-Marshal
-Wrestler & Reporter
-Rhythm Monkey
-Karate Joe
-Wandering Samurai/Samurai Steve
-"Rhythm Heaven Girl"

All of these are potential options. Only time will tell on who makes the cut. Will Gematsu be right on this? Or will there be another debacle like Chrom/Robin? Only thing for sure is that there will be a Rhythm Heaven character.

Last edited by a moderator:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
My belief is that the 1st part of the Gematsu leak was legitimate info, the 2nd part were just some fairly easy guesses, predictions & assumptions, & that the 3rd & 4th parts were made up.

Morbi

Scavenger
Regardless of the Gematsu leak being true or false, outdated or not outdated, there is evidence towards a Rhythm Heaven character through the Sneaky Spirit enemies in Smash Run.

It doesn't specifically point at the Chorus Kids persay, but they are still a reasonable option.
Though they aren't the only ones.
-Chorus Kids
-Marshal
-Wrestler & Reporter
-Rhythm Monkey
-Karate Joe
-Wandering Samurai/Samurai Steve
-"Rhythm Heaven Girl"

All of these are potential options. Only time will tell on who makes the cut. Will Gematsu be right on this? Or will there be another debacle like Chrom/Robin? Only thing for sure is that there will be a Rhythm Heaven character.
I would hate to do this, but it is "per se." I apologize, that is the one misspelling that incites me to correct someone. As per the topic, I do agree that a Rhythm Heaven character is nearly definite. However, I cannot assert that it is objectively definite as the only indication of such is the enemy in the 3DS exclusive game-mode. It is not enough for me to consider it an absolute. But realistically, it is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom