• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
We don't need to be risky, Sakurai's already being risky for us, adding newcomers like the Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina. Speaking of newcomers, has anyone pointed out that the newcomers have a pattern of green, blue, green, blue?
I guess we can expect a blue newcomer next. :awesome:
Waluigi has blue eyeliner. :awesome:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Three Mario and Zelda characters in Melee, two Kirby characters in Brawl. DK is more than deserving enough.
And?

Also, where the hell do you see four clones of Fox?

^
Where the hell do you not see a fourth clone of Fox???

Unless someone that isn't from Star Fox is a clone, you're counting Fox as a clone of himself. And did you just call Krystal a clone? The whole point of her staff is that she's completely different from the other Star Fox characters.
That's a terrible reason to add such an unimportant character.

Chrom is playing it safe, I don't care about Fire Emblem anymore at this point.
I have to say that's a very UNsafe choice.

And just adding an F-Zero character isn't "equalizing franchises" I'm not adding Goroh just for the sake of adding an F-Zero character. Just Kid Icarus? Mario, DK, Metroid, Star Fox, Pokemon (sort of), and Fire Emblem would like to say hello.
I think you may have zoned out at the part where I specified Samurai Goroh's importance outside of representation and the part where I said DIFFERENT franchises. Adding additions to Fire Emblem is not adding additions to DIFFERENT franchises. It had an addition in Brawl. F-Zero and Kid Icarus did not since their debut.

Lip isn't even retro, they are still making Puzzle League games, Lip has just been absent from them.
Then SHE is still retro.

Last edited by a moderator:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
much reveal. so news.
So then you basically said something you already know is not the case?

Thanks for wasting my time and sounding like a jerk while you were at it, much rude.

Even though I know most of it will be about me not having a third Fire Emblem character I would still like some feedback.
I like it! Good character amount, nice character choices. I like it! A third Fire Emblem character isn't necessary, but partially expected.
Only issue is probably having both Takamaru and Muddy Mole.

Some newly updated visuals, mainly Moon's hnnnng K. Rool render. It's just so damn goood.

If anyone has any better (preferably transparent) images of Ridley, Palutena, Chrom, Ike, or Lip, I would love you long time be very grateful.
Roster looks really nice!
[where can I find that k. rool render it is gorgeous]

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Warning Received
I'm sorry, but this is simply nonsense. With the limitations of the 3DS, Sakurai said he will have to "reduce characters". And limitations may affect roster size. Not having semi-clones would be a stupid choice for him to make because he wouldn't be able to add as many characters. If none of your additions are semi-clones then I must say that's rather unrealistic. As is the notion that Sakurai would not take the opportunity to make somebody a semi-clone when they deserve to be one or that he doesn't feel need for semi-clones because he so obviously does.

Smash fans not seeing need for clones does not convince me that Sakurai feels the same. You know a lot of Smash fans say there is no need for 2 Links. And why do you say everyone is unique this time around? Haven't 2 clones already been confirmed?

I don't even see why Krystal's Staff is important anyway. As one special I could see it. As an entire move set? No. She's a Star Fox pilot and she never used it since the black sheep of Star Fox games and it has nothing to do with her modern and more iconic character appearances. And technically she didn't use it ever so I would not wager that it is "important". If Sakurai wanted to give a counterpart character like Krystal something just because it'd be unique then he probably would have given Luigi a poltergust. Despite that, this insignificant item is Krystal's only supposed reason to be in. Her significance in Star Fox does not reach to the point of a character inclusion.

I'm confused. Is this relevant?
Do you not understand? The only reason to add Krystal is because she brings something new to the table, if he doesn't give her the staff, then he shouldn't and wouldn't add her at all. And the "limitations" have already been proven to be BS, stop taking things he said out of context. He had troubles initially, but he overcame that, you can clearly see Rosalina and Luma function perfectly fine on the 3DS. And the roster having to be smaller because of it? The 3DS can handle Brawl's data and then some, characters won't be made into clones to conserve space, that doesn't even make sense in the first place. Clones were added to beef up the roster, so it would have more characters, there obviously isn't any need to do that now since we already have so many characters.

So the staff isn't important? And you're using the Poltergust as an example? I guess Mario's FLUDD must be important as **** then.

You're missing the point entirely and you're blinded by bias, stop looking at Krystal as "hurr, too many Star Foxes," a character's icon is not a bloody reason to include them or not. And your bias towards Goroh is a load of it, stop complaining about my rosters because he isn't on them.

And?

^
Where the hell do you not see a fourth clone of Fox???

That's a terrible reason to add such an unimportant character.

I have to say that's a very UNsafe choice.

I think you may have zoned out at the part where I specified Samurai Goroh's importance outside of representation and the part where I said DIFFERENT franchises. Adding additions to Fire Emblem is not adding additions to DIFFERENT franchises. It had an addition in Brawl. F-Zero and Kid Icarus did not since their debut.

Then SHE is still retro.
"And?" And the fact that franchises have gotten multiple characters at a time. There's no reason DK can't now other than "I dun want more than one!"

So she's a clone because you say so? Oh, so a character from a franchise with a similar build to another is automatically a clone, do tell me how Rosalina is a Peach clone because they're both Mario characters in dresses. Oh wait, Rosalina pulled inspiration from her one majorly important appearance, which happened to be her first appearance too! Now how about that? A character taking inspiration like that? I mean Krystal sure can't do that! Rosalina didn't even do any of that stuff, Mario did! Just like how Fox used the staff.

A terrible reason to add such an "unimportant" character? Stop putting your own damn foot in your mouth Mr. "Diskun because we need a WTF retro, Tabuu because no one likes Tabuu, and Goroh because I have a hard on for him." Goroh isn't any more important than Krystal, yet he's gotta be on the roster right?

Chrom is the unsafe choice? I must have put him on here because of his charming personality and uniqueness.

Again, when the **** was Goroh important? You want an important F-Zero character? Black Shadow. But like I said, the series is not the reason I put Krystal on the roster, please do try and get that through your stubbornly thick skull. F-Zero does not need to play catch-up, you don't need to add a character to it just because it only has one character, that's a piss poor reason.

You need to get over yourself and stop being an arse.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We don't need to be risky, Sakurai's already being risky for us, adding newcomers like the Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina. Speaking of newcomers, has anyone pointed out that the newcomers have a pattern of green, blue, green, blue?
CRUMB CONFURMED!

I doubt it means anything, but it's a funny piece of trivia.

And let's not get into a fight people.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's a Krystal fight that I'm not in. Suprise.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
How? Sakurai said he wanted to add more older characters.
Well he did say he was hoping to give another retro character the same treatment Pit got, but two? I'm not expecting two characters to get a reboot.
But I suppose the main reason for me pointing this out as a negative aspect could be because of Muddy.

You see, Muddy was always going to be the ground-focused character of the roster in my head. But now, Little Mac has taken that playstyle that was generally in mind for Muddy. Now Muddy could still be unique through Digging and the Black Ball mechanic I've seen in movesets, but his entire conceptual playstyle has now been taken. So maybe reconsider him guessing-wise???

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Do you not understand? The only reason to add Krystal is because she brings something new to the table
So add Aparoids by that logic. They bring something new to the table.

if he doesn't give her the staff, then he shouldn't and wouldn't add her at all.
Yes.

And the "limitations" have already been proven to be BS, stop taking things he said out of context.
"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS"

"So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible."

http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

He had troubles initially, but he overcame that, you can clearly see Rosalina and Luma function perfectly fine on the 3DS.
What does that have to do with how many characters there will be and literally no newcomers being semi-clones? Because she can control another very small npc?

And the roster having to be smaller because of it? The 3DS can handle Brawl's data and then some, characters won't be made into clones to conserve space
Characters are already seen as clone material. Then they are added because they can conserve space and/or they are deserving characters.

that doesn't even make sense in the first place. Clones were added to beef up the roster, so it would have more characters, there obviously isn't any need to do that now since we already have so many characters.
Clones were added INSTEAD of unique characters to beef up the roster because they take less time. Having that same amount of characters, but not as clone would not leave time for as many characters.

So what you are saying doesn't make sense. Without semi-clones we probably aren't going to make it to the size you are proposing.

So the staff isn't important? And you're using the Poltergust as an example? I guess Mario's FLUDD must be important as **** then.
You keep zoning out. Remember when I mentioned that FLUDD is only ONE MOVE in Mario's moveset?

You're missing the point entirely and you're blinded by bias
If anyone is blinded by bias it is you sire. And I must say you're bias reaches a great hight.

stop looking at Krystal as "hurr, too many Star Foxes,"
I don't recall saying "Hurrr" in any of my posts. So I must say your impression of me is not convincing nor is it very mature. If a franchise doesn't need characters as much as another it's probably not going to prioritize it over them.

a character's icon is not a bloody reason to include them or not.
Yet you are proposing that because Krystal is shown with a staff in her icon she should be added.

And your bias towards Goroh is a load of it, stop complaining about my rosters because he isn't on them.
If I was bias towards Goroh I would be like "Dude, Goroh is so cool! You gotta add him!". I'm proposing you add Goroh. I'm not complaining that you don't have him. I'm actually complaining about much bigger problems on your roster.

"And?" And the fact that franchises have gotten multiple characters at a time. There's no reason DK can't now other than "I dun want more than one!"
Again, I don't speak like that nor do I ever adress desire to have a certain amount of Donkey Kong newcomers.

So she's a clone because you say so?
No. She's a clone because I properly observed the character and proposed her as such based on 9 characters from past installments.

Oh, so a character from a franchise with a similar build to another is automatically a clone
Are you hallucinating when reading my posts too? You seem to be constantly putting words in my mouth and phrasing them like a child to make me sound stupid.
A character who shares major similarities and is originally capable of performing the abilities of that similar character has always shared moves with them. Rosalina shares major similarities to Peach, but she isn't originally capable of using a parasol, vegetables, or sports gear. While Krystal is both incredibly similar and perfectly capable of performing every single move that Fox does and exactly how he does it.

Krystal has both features. Rosalina does not. There is a difference.

do tell me how Rosalina is a Peach clone because they're both Mario characters in dresses.
I didn't and I won't.

Oh wait, Rosalina pulled inspiration from her one majorly important appearance, which happened to be her first appearance too!
So because her first appearance is her most iconic, it makes everyone's first appearance iconic and thus their source material? Nope.

Now how about that? A character taking inspiration like that? I mean Krystal sure can't do that!
She can, but she won't.

Rosalina didn't even do any of that stuff, Mario did! Just like how Fox used the staff.
I never said that she can't use it because Fox used it.

A terrible reason to add such an "unimportant" character? Stop putting your own damn foot in your mouth Mr. "Diskun because we need a WTF retro
Actually I stated several times that Diskun was added in my roster because he's the mascot of a popular peripheral of a popular Nintendo console. You need to calm down and stop doing childish impersonations and flipping out because I disagree with you. I don't want you to get reported or something.

Tabuu because no one likes Tabuu, and Goroh because I have a hard on for him." Goroh isn't any more important than Krystal, yet he's gotta be on the roster right?
Do you see me resorting to childish impersonations going like "Dur I should add Krystal because she's sexy."? Why are you? I know you don't add Krystal because you're supposedly attracted to her. And you know I don't add Tabuu because people don't care for him or Samurai Goroh because I like them. I really don't care what other people like or don't like and I don't even care for Goroh as a character.

I really wouldn't mind reporting you now. I don't prefer my time being wasting reading replies of people mocking me like a 4 year-old. And I don't mind reporting people who waste my time like that.

Chrom is the unsafe choice? I must have put him on here because of his charming personality and uniqueness.
I'm more under the impression that you added him because he's an advertisement and the false notion that Sakurai add the most recent lord. Despite that he stated reasons for both Roy and Ike. Neither of which had literally anything to do with recency.

Again, when the **** was Goroh important?
Since he was the main villian/rival of a classic Nintendo franchise and a moderately popular one.

You want an important F-Zero character? Black Shadow.
Yeah, I don't think you know anything about F-Zero or how important their characters are.

But like I said, the series is not the reason I put Krystal on the roster
I literally never said it was. I think you are getting too worked up and simply are not thinking straight.

please do try and get that through you're stubbornly thick skull.
Dude, you're really overreacting now. This is pathetic.

F-Zero does not need to play catch-up, you don't need to add a character to it just because it only has one character, that's a piss poor reason.
Yet, Sakurai went searching for a second Metroid character for that EXACT reason. Zero Suit Samus just so happened to be an important one like Samurai Goroh is.

You need to get over yourself and stop being an arse.
Unfortunately I can't post a gif of a mirror because it would be considered spam. But, I think you understand my reason to do so.

I would prefer you not resort to immature name calling in the future just because people disagree. Thank you and good night.

D

Deleted member

Even then, with Dillon's existence, Muddy might have the whole digging aspect stripped from him as well.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Well he did say he was hoping to give another retro character the same treatment Pit got, but two? I'm not expecting two characters to get a reboot.
But I suppose the main reason for me pointing this out as a negative aspect could be because of Muddy.

You see, Muddy was always going to be the ground-focused character of the roster in my head. But now, Little Mac has taken that playstyle that was generally in mind for Muddy. Now Muddy could still be unique through Digging and the Black Ball mechanic I've seen in movesets, but his entire conceptual playstyle has now been taken. So maybe reconsider him guessing-wise???
He said he was planning on doing his best to bring old characterS back.
We've already had multiple characters with similar play styles, it's no worse than having clones.
Even then, with Dillon's existence, Muddy might have the whole digging aspect stripped from him as well.
I think Dillon might be a little late to the party, besides when did he ever dig underground?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Arguments/debated are alright but throwing in personal insults and flaming are not and won't be tolerated.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master

Still really want Muddy in Smash. Maybe his burrowing will be enough uniqueness on its own?

EDIT: Hey, they fixed the quote colours.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Mach Rider is the only clone material character I think would be an exception. Rosalina could be seen as somewhat of an exception in the series as she doesn't perform some moves she could have shared with Peach.

But, she really couldn't perform a majority of her moves anyway.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I would prefer you not resort to immature name calling in the future just because people disagree. Thank you and good night.
I'm not even going to bother with you anymore, you call me immature, yet you report me over a debate you stared. Gee thanks buddy.
Not once did I call you a name, I'd appreciate if you stopped attacking me and then turning it around to make me out as the bad guy.

Did I attack you? No. Every time I post a roster you start your **** with "Goroh should be on it instead of Krystal." I never asked for your opinion, we've already done this before, yet you keep on trying to bait me. Unfortunately, I had to go and respond to you, but I won't be doing that anymore. You keep trying to make me out to be some kind of flamer, but I'm not the one who's been banned before now am I? You need to stop with your **** man. Good night indeed.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey.

Let's not start anything.

That goes for everyone.

I don't want to see anymore comments like this.

Consider this your last warning. Again, that goes for everyone.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Going on from what Swampasaur, said, any type of flaming or trolling will result in a warning or infraction. Repeated offenses will result in infractions. As well, starting arguments just to start arguments is also grounds for trolling.

If someone makes you mad, simply choose to "Ignore" them. If you feel someone has wrong you, Report them and the mods will review it.

If you don't agree with someone's roster, don't be a jerk and don't criticize it for being stupid or unlikely. As well, if someone does harshly bash your roster, don't retaliate with immature comments that might end up hurting you.

Edit: @SaturnGamer64 don't incite arguments for the sake of arguments or add one liners just to troll others. Think twice before you post something that might land you in hotter water. Keep that in mind.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Going on from what Swampasaur, said, any type of flaming or trolling will result in a warning or infraction. Repeated offenses will result in infractions. As well, starting arguments just to start arguments is also grounds for trolling.

If someone makes you mad, simply choose to "Ignore" them. If you feel someone has wrong you, Report them and the mods will review it.

If you don't agree with someone's roster, don't be a jerk and don't criticize it for being stupid or unlikely. As well, if someone does harshly bash your roster, don't retaliate with immature comments that might end up hurting you.

Edit: @SaturnGamer64 don't incite arguments for the sake of arguments or add one liners just to troll others. Think twice before you post something that might land you in hotter water. Keep that in mind.
Just saying, If I incite an argument it's just to prove a point, as is my reason for debating. And I did proceed to end the continuation of my involvement in the argument as soon as I had done so when it was clearly getting out of hand. As is preferred by site and me personally. I was more intending to request that the offender not flame me in the future as delicately as I could put it while addressing the issue I was having during my closing argument.

I do however apologize if it seemed my intentions were that of which you suggested though. I'll try to keep that in mind.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Does anyone want Ridley less now that he looks way less cool than he used to be.
If you mean...

"Do we want Ridley less because his Other M model looks weird?" Then... no, not really. Most people will accept that as it is still Ridley.

I've only seen a few people say "Old Ridley or nothing!"

They are the minority, I assure you.

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
If you mean...

"Do we want Ridley less because his Other M model looks weird?" Then... no, not really. Most people will accept that as it is still Ridley.

What this guy said. Nothing wrong with having a preference, but hoping for a fan favorite to not make it because of a different model is ridiculous.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think that Ridley would use a cross between his Prime and Other M looks, which I have stated many times. The official colours of Ridley, I say, are pale purple for his skin with a sort of faint metallic gleen, vivid reddish pink for his wing membranes, and orange yellow for his eyes, which glow.

Now, combine these colours with a more lanky and feral version of his Other M design and you have yourself a damn fine looking Ridley. A look that is intimidating, but not so much that he is ugly.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If you mean...

I maybe want him a percentage less. But, still want incredibly want him nonetheless.
But, I think we have a new issue: Ridley's claws are too big for Smash. :troll:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the Little Mac reveal... I can imagine Samus mocking Ridley small size (comparing to what he used to be).

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I suppose, but I would only really figure that to be more of a major threat if Dillon actually was in the game Digging in some way.
But I'm moreso worried of Muddy's chances because of, as I said, Little Mac taking the core gameplay style people generally had for him.

He said he was planning on doing his best to bring old characterS back.
I know this, but seeing as characters are supposed to be unique and all... Mac might have killed Muddy.
I think Dillon might be a little late to the party, besides when did he ever dig underground?
It's a core ability used in both games to defeat certain foes. He gains access to it relatively late in the first game.
Where did you read that???
I read someone say something like that here, but it may not be entirely true.
Still really want Muddy in Smash. Maybe his burrowing will be enough uniqueness on its own?
Oh I do too.
I guess it could, Mac really isn't controlling the stage. He's just better on the ground than in the air.

So maybe Muddy still has a shot??

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Watch Sakurai use red or yellow to throw you off his scent. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom