• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here's why "Pra_Mai" is not the Villager:

Sakurai decided upon the roster prior to actually making the characters. He decided upon the roster once the design document was finished July 7, 2005. Said design document contained this slide:

Ergo, he had already decided that Villager was implausible as a fighter before Pra_Mai was given a single line of code.
I wonder if he changed his mind on the Nintendogs too... Brawl had only one breed of Nintendogs... SSB4 now has more than one breed of Nintendogs... French Bulldog is the Assist Trophy... Beagle is a stage element in the Nintendogs stage... but where's the Labrador Retriever? It was an Assist Trophy in Brawl. Is it possible it could get the Little Mac treatment too? Hmmm...

D

Deleted member

Better put that thought down before you get as delusional as you are with Toad.

EDIT: And yes, there is a pun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Agreed, mainly because I think that Mario and Pokemon have more character choice. Zelda only has non-fighters or no names.
Come now, that's a bit of a cop out. Ghirahim is a better choice for a fighter objectively than most Pokemon and even Rosalina.

I think we will get a new Zelda character, but I'm as certain as Pokemon.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well I consider myself a fan of Nintendo in general, and know a bunch of the characters from various series. I just find Ghirahim to be quite Obscure of a Nintendo All-star.
He's about as obscure as Midna, Zant, Navi, etc.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Yes, all of which I don't find to be extremely well known characters, except for maybe Navi who would never be a fighter.
Depends on the people you talk to. If you ask me, Ghirahim, Groose and Midna are borderline obscure. They're popular, but in reality a large portion of Nintendo fans don't know them. I think all 3 are perfectly fine characters, but Tingle currently seems to be the most deserving Zelda newcomer.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Am I the only one that feels Pokemon + Mario + Zelda newcomers are sort of like a package deal?

I would feel weird not having a fifth slot for one, while the other two do.
Have you ever heard of this game called "Super Smash Bros." or it's sequel "Super Smash Bros. Melee"?
-Edit-
Allow me to go into a little more detail as I am no longer using a mobile device...

Super Smash Bros,
:mario64::luigi64: (:dk64::yoshi64:) 4 / 2 (Not Counting Spin-Offs)
:link64: 1
:pikachu64::jigglypuff64: 2

Super Smash Bros. Melee
:drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee: (:dkmelee::yoshimelee:) 7 / 5 (Not Counting Spin-Offs)
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee::younglinkmelee: 5
:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee::pichumelee: 4

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
:mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2:(:dk2::yoshi2::wario:) [Dr. Mario] 8 / 5 (Not Counting Spin-Offs) / 4 (Ignoring Spin-Offs and cut characters)
:link2::zelda::sheik::ganondorf::toonlink: [Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik] 7 / 5 (Ignoring Cut Characters)
:pikachu2::jigglypuff::lucario::pt:(:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:) [Mewtwo] 7 / 6 (Ignoring Cut Characters)

There has never been anything that made these three franchises equal in anyway possible, so don't go thinking one has been made out of the blue for no reason!

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Something I want to say about Little Mac.

If Victory Poses do return and replace that one simple screen from that demo fight,I want to see Doc Louis (or whatever his name is) say the infamous quote from Punch Out Wii : "He can always take a whooping."

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Have you ever heard of this game called "Super Smash Bros." or it's sequel "Super Smash Bros. Melee"?
-Edit-
Allow me to go into a little more detail as I am no longer using a mobile device...

Super Smash Bros,
:mario64::luigi64: (:dk64::yoshi64:) 4 / 2 (Not Counting Spin-Offs)
:link64: 1
:pikachu64::jigglypuff64: 2

Super Smash Bros. Melee
:drmario::mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee: (:dkmelee::yoshimelee:) 7 / 5 (Not Counting Spin-Offs)
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee::younglinkmelee: 5
:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee::pichumelee: 4

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
:mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2:(:dk2::yoshi2::wario:) [Dr. Mario] 8 / 5 (Not Counting Spin-Offs) / 4 (Ignoring Spin-Offs and cut characters)
:link2::zelda::sheik::ganondorf::toonlink: [Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik] 7 / 5 (Ignoring Cut Characters)
:pikachu2::jigglypuff::lucario::pt:(:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:) [Mewtwo] 7 / 6 (Ignoring Cut Characters)

There has never been anything that made these three franchises equal in anyway possible, so don't go thinking one has been made out of the blue for no reason!
much reveal. so news.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Sorry if you saw that, I couldn't grt rid of it for a second. Anyways, I wanted to bring up a discussion I KNOW everyone will hate.

Okay, so you know how there's a petition and all this hype for Reggie Fils-Aime to be in the next installment? Well, I actually think Reggie has a chance to be an assist trophy, just based off demand alone. I Will NOT state my opinion on this, for I am fearful for my life.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I had presented my ideal roster earlier in the thread, but I've since been toying around with that version. And so, here's an alternate roster, which is probably slightly more probable than my primary one:

This is a 54-character roster (39 Veterans + 14 Newcomers + Mewtwo). I suspect this to be the maximum plausible size for the coming roster. Here are the changes made from the other version:

-Ghirahim has been cut. He was the personal icing on my roster cake, as Zelda already has all of its core essential characters (meaning a Zelda Newcomer is not urgent compared to other candidates);
-Moved Takamaru to the freed-up slot in the Zelda column, so as to reinforce the Famicom Four Zelda-Murasame parallel;
-Removed a standalone Charizard to restore the Pokemon Trainer (thereby making this roster a No Cuts one);
-I'm undecided on the FE Newcomer slot. I was mulling on replacing Robin with Chrom, but decided against it, even though Chrom, as the star apparent of Awakening, is a strong contender for an FE Newcomer.
-With Ghirahim cut, I added Isaac to fill in the open spot. With Little Mac's promotion from Assist Trophy status, Isaac's viability has now been raised (though I have not actually played Golden Sun);
-Removed Pac-Man, reducing the Third-Parties to three. We already have two confirmed, and it's doubtful that they'd cut Snake after his inclusion in Brawl. Getting a fourth Third-Party character could be stretching things. I still consider Pac-Man to be in the pool of candidates for an additional Third-Party, though;
-With Pac-Man removed, I added Lip in his place, since she's another feasible contender for an oldschool pick. One could replace Lip with anyone, though - or even replaced the Random icon, thereby granting two spaces. But for now, Lip is the contender.

Again, this is probably a more likely roster than the one I presented previously, even though I'd stand by that version. I'd be interested in having the likelihood/plausibility/viability/eroticism of this particular assessed by those interested. :)

Also, fun fact: I've now been a member here for about a week. Thus far, I find myself really digging this site and its community. :estatic:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I had presented my ideal roster earlier in the thread, but I've since been toying around with that version. And so, here's an alternate roster, which is probably slightly more probable than my primary one:

I really like that you included Lip here, I find this to be a really good roster over all, particularly the no cuts.

If I had to nitpick it, I'd say that Dixie shouldn't be shoved on Diddy, either make her a solo character and bring DK to four reps, or drop her entirely.

I'd also question the random slot, Pac-Man would have surely been better than that? :troll:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They are all important parts of their respective franchises (Except for maybe Roy) Ghirahim on the other hand is like picking Sceptile to represent Pokemon or Dr. Stewart for F-Zero.
Dr. Stewart is actually kinda big in F-Zero.....

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
They are all important parts of their respective franchises (Except for maybe Roy) Ghirahim on the other hand is like picking Sceptile to represent Pokemon or Dr. Stewart for F-Zero.
Ghirahim technically starts the entire franchise, and one shot villains play a big part in Zelda

and ike is not a big part of fire emblem at all, especially when he was in brawl,

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
and ike is not a big part of fire emblem at all, especially when he was in brawl,
Eh. I'd say Ike is big now.

Only person in front of him is Marth.

But yeah, when he was included, he was just the new guy.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I really like that you included Lip here, I find this to be a really good roster over all, particularly the no cuts.

If I had to nitpick it, I'd say that Dixie shouldn't be shoved on Diddy, either make her a solo character and bring DK to four reps, or drop her entirely.

I'd also question the random slot, Pac-Man would have surely been better than that? :troll:
I stated that the Random slot is dispensable; if need be, one could place a character instead (Pac-Man or otherwise).

One purely aesthetic reason why I paired Diddy and Dixie is because I want to keep Yoshi and Wario as close to the Mario column as possible; yet I'd like to keep Takamaru in the Zelda column, due to the Famicom Four ties. So by expanding Dixie, either Yoshi or Wario would have to be pushed beyond the Zelda column, which seems off to me. I put as much thought into the roster placement and arrangement as I do for the actual selection, after all.

I prefer K Rool over Dixie as far as DK Newcomers go; and since I don't use DK characters otherwise, her presence or absence is irrelevant to me. So cutting her and leaving Diddy as a standalone works just as well for me. But for the sake of DK completionism VS roster layout, Dixie stays where she is for now.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Glad you like it. :)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Neutral B: Treasure.
Side B: Cannon Ball.
Up B: Parrot.
Down B: Peg leg kick.

Final Smash: Arrrrrrrrrgh!
No no no, you've got it all wrong.

Neutral B: Cannon Ball- Pulls a giant cannon out of nowhere and fires a cannon ball that explodes for some reason.
Side B: Flashing- Flashes the enemy to stun them, doesn't work on females. Good for pick-pocketing.
Down B: Drunkard- Takes a swig of rum, gets more drunk with each use of the move. Decreases overall control but buffs everything else.
Up B: Sail- Pulls out a sail and flies away Jack Sparrow style. You never come back after using this move.

Final Smash: Davy Jones Locker- Summons Mr. Game & Tentacles the Krakken, it kills everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom