• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm really feeling confident in my big three, I don't think I need to keep arguing over them any more, other than the occasional corrections on Snake.
Takamaru is the retro choice too, so I have no need to defend him. Krystal eh.. She's give or take.
I think I should start throwing all my support towards Lip, she's the most questionable of my own choices. Really hoping to see her though.

I'm glad somebody else can explain this instead of me. Thank you.
I've been saying this for a long time in many different places, just doing my part to shut people up about Snake.

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
I don't consider Lip a retro character due to her series still being active (her last game was in 2007 for the DS). Japan-only character ≠ retro character. Otherwise we'd have to consider characters like King K. Rool and Captain Falcon retros too.

Anyways, after Takamaru I'd go for Prince Sable, DHD, or Muddy Mole as a playable retro.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm considering the idea of getting both Lip and Takamaru.
We need more puzzle representation, and Panel de Pon is still active, even more so than F-Zero.
Takamaru is a great retro choice, and is to Zelda what Pit is to Metroid.
So I don't think it's out of the question that we get both.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't consider Lip a retro character due to her series still being active (her last game was in 2007 for the DS). Japan-only character ≠ retro character. Otherwise we'd have to consider characters like King K. Rool and Captain Falcon retros too.

Anyways, after Takamaru I'd go for Prince Sable, DHD, or Muddy Mole as a playable retro.
Even if Lip isn't retro, she's been all but removed from her own franchise, and that's really awful. She could do with a "revival" of sorts, and Sakurai adding her in Smash is a sure fire way to not only put her back in her own games, but to bring her outside of Japan as well. This is why I'm really hoping for her, anyway.

I'm not expecting another pure retro outside of Takamaru, no idea why there would even be a second one.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't know, they're the three biggest franchises, and their rosters seem to grow alongisde one another. Even with Brawl, we had one new addition for those franchises each. (TZelda, Mewtwo, Doc) They just seem to move together.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't know, they're the three biggest franchises, and their rosters seem to grow alongisde one another. Even with Brawl, we had one new addition for those franchises each. (TZelda, Mewtwo, Doc) They just seem to move together.
Oh wait, I just remembered that TECHNICALLY Zelda already has 5 characters with Sheik.
Which also would mean that Pokémon has 6 without Mewtwo, and Mario has 4.
So I guess they were never even after all. :estatic:
I think Takumaru should be the only retro.
I'm feeling that we won't get a WTF this time, so maybe Sakurai will mend that with another retro.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Oh wait, I just remembered that TECHNICALLY Zelda already has 5 characters with Sheik.

I'm feeling that we won't get a WTF this time, so maybe Sakurai will mend that with another retro.
Pretty sure WFT was the WTF, they don't have to be retro. If you think about it, G&W reps his whole series of handhelds, R.O.B. represents a peripheral for the NES, and Miss Fit represents the balance board and the Wii itself in general. The "WTF" characters seem to be more hardware reps than anything.

Though not a WTF, if Lip does get in, she'd be a surprise character to most, so there's always that for the guys that want one so badly.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

WFT was the WTF this time around. Takumaru is probably the only other retro, unless Lip somehow get's in over him.

If you look at the Missing Characters from SSBB the following series would have this amount of character slots:
Mario: 5
Zelda: 5
Pokemon: 6
Donkey Kong: 2 or 3 (Dixie I think was a combo with Diddy)
Fire Emblem: 3

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Even if Lip isn't retro, she's been all but removed from her own franchise, and that's really awful. She could do with a "revival" of sorts, and Sakurai adding her in Smash is a sure fire way to not only put her back in her own games, but to bring her outside of Japan as well. This is why I'm really hoping for her, anyway.

I'm not expecting another pure retro outside of Takamaru, no idea why there would even be a second one.
Her franchise been revived a couple of times, but not with the same characters and story. I personally think she's not going to be chosen because of the revival potential, but because of her uniqueness.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
WFT was the WTF this time around. Takumaru is probably the only other retro, unless Lip somehow get's in over him.

If you look at the Missing Characters from SSBB the following series would have this amount of character slots:
Mario: 5
Zelda: 5
Pokemon: 6
Donkey Kong: 2 or 3 (Dixie I think was a combo with Diddy)
Fire Emblem: 3
Wait...

Why would Pokemon have six slots?

5 is perfect.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think that he meant 6 characters planned for Brawl (slot wise).
Mewtwo and Plusle and Minun.
That being said I don't think Pokémon should have 6 slots unless Mario does.
Thing is, Plusle and Minun were never planned for Brawl.

Prai_Mai couldn't have been them.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Her franchise been revived a couple of times, but not with the same characters and story. I personally think she's not going to be chosen because of the revival potential, but because of her uniqueness.
There's no single reason a character is chosen, but a multitude of reasons that help them out. Lip has uniqueness on her side, the fact that there aren't any puzzle games currently represented yet, the potential for her franchise to gain a lot more attention while bringing her back to it, which would also let Nintendo know that people over here will buy cute looking games, and plenty of other good reasons. Not to mention Sakurai liking the series and referencing it all the time.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Who was Prai_Mai then?
I believe you, I'm just not sure who it could have been.
If it was Plusle and Minun, there would have been two files.

One for Plusle.
One for Minun.

Similar to how Popo and Nana have separate files.

Make sense?

Theories have been crafted that it's an abbreviation of "My player" though we're not sure what that means.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
@ Joe D. Joe D.
If you want a character like Excitebiker, a mount character of sorts, I feel like Mach Rider is the better option.
He has more potential, is more popular, and Sakurai has mentioned him as his favorite idea for a character.
As long as he's on a bike, I don't care! I just think that'd be an amazing concept to implement into Smash Brothers.

You're stating the exact reason Snake isn't going to be cut, he's a third party. Sakurai has to go through licensing and dealing with multiple outside parties in order to get a character, he can't just cut Snake after he's already in, he's either in or out, there's no maybe. Sakurai made a statement before that no characters had been cut (so far). The basic assumption one can make from this statement is that everyone from Brawl is planned to return unless time constraints come up. Seeing as Snake is included in that, and he's a third party, this means that Sakurai already has the licensing for him, and he's already in the game, so he's not leaving.
Not to mention general fan demand would be another motivation for Mr. Sakurai to keep Snake in the roster. He is very popular, and a top- tier character in Brawl. I kind of would like to see him and Pac-Man. I'm aware Mr. Sakurai stated that he wouldn't let Namco get the benefit of a character inclusion, but I truly think that with all the demand, he would include Pac-Man. Third Party discussion is always a predicament for me, and you never really know where they'll head with 3rd parties.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If it was Plusle and Minun, there would have been two files.

Theories have been crafted that it's an abbreviation of "My player" though we're not sure what that means.
Miis confirmed for inevitable. L is real 2013.

How did the Plusle and Minin thing even come about? Did some guy just randomly say that and it caught on?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How did the Plusle and Minin thing even come about? Did some guy just randomly say that and it caught on?
It was originally believed that Prai_Mai was a romanization of Plusle and Minun's Japanese names.

This turned out to be false, but the idea spread around before the truth could be said.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I was wondering what you guys thought would be the Assist Trophies based on who will be characters and who will stay as assists and not be characters (Therefore it's on topic)

Here's a group I wouldn't mind: (I put Sothe because it would boost Lyn, Micaiah, and Ike's chances)

EDIT: Replace Metriod w/ Mother Brain cause I forgot to.

Ashley takes the place of Kat and Anna
Doc replace Little Mac
Mother Brain replaces Metroid
Bowser Junior replaces both Mario AT's (Lakuti and H Bro)
Sothe replaces Lyn because Lyn or Micaiah I'm hoping gets in over the boring Chrom
Fawful replaces Resetii
Tom Nook gives AC a new AT
Dr. Kawashima replaces Andross
Diskun, Sheriff, Lip, Ayumi, and Sukapon rep the Retro's now.
Pacman added because of Namco.

Last edited:

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice

I definitely agree with you there. The Puzzle League re-branding and stripping the game down to the bare minimum was one of the biggest disappointments for me outside the cancellation of Nintendo Puzzle Collection's western release.

I'm really hoping we see a new Panel de Pon title soon with the original theme brought back, online multi-player, new modes, 4-player vs mode, and a new story.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Am I the only one that feels Pokemon + Mario + Zelda newcomers are sort of like a package deal?

I would feel weird not having a fifth slot for one, while the other two do.
Mario and Pokémon yes, but I'd lop Zelda out of the group.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Well, to be fair, being a non-fighter doesn't really matter.
I guess, but at this point, the Zelda non-fighters I'm talking about are pretty much Tingle and Mask Salesman out of the more memorable characters. I just don't think they would be able to make moves for them anyway. Unless they make the Salesman use his masks, which I think he never does.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I guess, but at this point, the Zelda non-fighters I'm talking about are pretty much Tingle and Mask Salesman out of the more memorable characters. I just don't think they would be able to make moves for them anyway. Unless they make the Salesman use his masks, which I think he never does.
Tingle has lots of stuff he can do actually.

He does have his own series after all. :p

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Did somebody say Happy Mask Salesman?

Glad to see he's starting to pop up when people bring up Zelda reps. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Umm.... Tingle does have his own spin-off series... so he can use moves from those games.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Dream Roster Roster.png

I'm considering this as my ideal roster.

Newcomers:

-Villager (Animal Crossing)
-Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit)
-Rosalina & Luma (Super Mario Bros.)
-Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
-King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
-Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
-Tingle (Legend of Zelda)
-Mii (Wii)
-Ridley (Metroid)
-Palutena (Kid Icarus)
-Takamaru (Mystery of the Murasame Castle)
-Lip (Panel de Pon)
-Waddle Dee (Kirby's Dream Land)
-Shulk (Xenoblade)
-Mega Man (Mega Man)
-Pac-Man (Pac-Man)

No cuts from Brawl, plus the addition of Mewtwo, back from Melee.

52 roster slots, 56 in total (including Sheik, ZSS and the Pokemon).

Changes from my previous roster:
-Mach Rider cut in favor of Lip.
-Sukapon cut in favor of Shulk.

Almost made it:
Geno (Super Mario Bros.)
Prof. Layton (Professor Layton)
Mike Jones (StarTropics)
Duck Hunt Dog (Duck Hunt)
Chrom (Fire Emblem)
Porky Minch (EarthBound)

Thoughts?

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Could Prai_Mai have been the Villager? I mean, Sakurai did say that they worked on him during Brawl development at some point before deciding the guy wouldn't work. It sort of fits with the whole "My Player" thing as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll put it blunt; No.

Pra_Mai isn't even "My Player" anyway. That was just what I said would make more logical sense than the "Every Player" translation someone came up with for the bull**** "It's the Random box" logic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Could Prai_Mai have been the Villager? I mean, Sakurai did say that they worked on him during Brawl development at some point before deciding the guy wouldn't work. It sort of fits with the whole "My Player" thing as well.
Possible.

Than again, Villager's Japanese name is nothing like "My Player."

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
@ Joe D. Joe D.
If you want a character like Excitebiker, a mount character of sorts, I feel like Mach Rider is the better option.
He has more potential, is more popular, and Sakurai has mentioned him as his favorite idea for a character.
Hm, well no wonder people support him over Excite Biker. I guess I support either of 'em, as I simply want a character who's mounted (on a bike, specifically) and can perform attacks differently from everyone else.

D

Deleted member

Here's why "Pra_Mai" is not the Villager:

Sakurai decided upon the roster prior to actually making the characters. He decided upon the roster once the design document was finished July 7, 2005. Said design document contained this slide:

Ergo, he had already decided that Villager was implausible as a fighter before Pra_Mai was given a single line of code.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Possible.

Than again, Villager's Japanese name is nothing like "My Player."
Even if it isn't "My Player" at all it could have been some sort of name he had before they finally decided on Villager (or whatever the hell his name in Japan is).

I guess we'll never know, but it's interesting regardless.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Honest to goodness, I think it might have something to do with the Miis, if it revolves around "My Player". Whatever it was, I'm certain it's not Plusle and Minun. They wouldn't give Pokemon 8 characters now, would they?

D

Deleted member

Honest to goodness, I think it might have something to do with the Miis, if it revolves around "My Player". Whatever it was, I'm certain it's not Plusle and Minun. They wouldn't give Pokemon 8 characters now, would they?
A) I just explained that the "My Player" thing was a way by me to discredit the "Each Player" logic and that it isn't actually what it is.
B) Miis, like Villager, were brushed off in the idea stage before Pra_Mai was programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom