• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yes, and then at E3, we may get 1 character revealed, or none, and yet again our common sense will have failed us. What's sensable isn't always correct. So when someone said they predicted this roster using "common sense" and "popular opinions" I went ahead and pointed out that those two things have failed us in the past.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think NOW I could make a pretty close roster, but my prediction roster prior to last year's E3 has so many holes in it. When did you predict those two characters?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I think NOW I could make a pretty close roster, but my prediction roster prior to last year's E3 has so many holes in it. When did you predict those two characters?
Early 2007 before the announcement reveal. I started calling it more in mid-2007. I was flamed beyond belief even with the fact that I actually wanted Mewtwo with a redesigned moveset

the problem is I'm generally of an unpopular opinion so...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
One thing I've noticed on these forums is that, even if the majority of users share a single general opinion, they often reach that opinion through different means. Little Mac being likely was a solid example. Some saw him as likely because of being in the E3 leak, others saw him as the obvious choice from a prominent new franchise, several took the Punch Out!! Ring as a hint, many saw him as a popular choice for years and years. A few agreed with all of those factors, and a minority saw him as a guy who only punches.

So yeah, while there are topics on which there can seem to be a bit of a hivemind, I don't think every majority opinion can be generalized that way.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
That's a very interesting point BKupa; I see a lot of reasons people have for and against a character. Mine actually differentiate a lot because I'm actually in Game Design and I've done quite a bit along with talking with others already, so I have a lot of factors in my mind that are very different. "Is the character easy to design? How unique will it truly be, or are we just copying aspects from another character? Is the character worth designing?" etc. Many tech geek and art stuff come into my head.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's not to say that the general consensus is always wrong either. I mean, we did get Little Mac, and Megan. The latter, I was on the fence about. Although I really did believe we wouldn't see a third party character in Smash again. A lot of that came from reading too much into what Sakurai himself said (Surprise surprise)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Unfortunately I think while some helping shift others' perceptions to the "general opinion" through use of reason and logic and past evidence is prevalent on here, so are people just going along with characters because they don't want to go against the hive mind or because select people bring them up enough and others start to think they actually have a good chance, when in many cases it's far from that.

People shouldn't worry about expressing their own opinions (which many don't) even if they go against the grain, just... keep in mind they're opinions.

But yeah, there are many ways to look at a character and their chances, some more sensible than others.

@SuperLittleTY
Please refrain from posts consisting solely of a video of questionable relation to the topic. Thank you.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Reading into what Sakurai says is pretty unhealthy because he's one of the many game directors that tries to answer things in the most indirect way possible when they're not straight questions.

Also because Sakurai isn't even the only director/producer on these games.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The way he talked about third parties made it sound like, it's a real difficult process. I figured that meant he didn't want to do it. When I suppose he just didn't want another Sonic situation.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The way he talked about third parties made it sound like, it's a real difficult process. I figured that meant he didn't want to do it. When I suppose he just didn't want another Sonic situation.
It probably is because of copyrights and contracts and the sorts.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Do you think we will get a fourth third Party?
Probably. Probably the Pac.

Something being a real difficult process hasn't stopped Sakurai before if he thinks the outcome is worth it. He's also spoke positively of the past third-party inclusions.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
For another topic: do you think an eShop rep (Like Mallo or Dillon) is likely? Why? And if so, who would it be?

Also, I think if we got a third Party it would be Pac-Man, but I like Layton more.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For another topic: do you think an eShop rep (Like Mallo or Dillon) is likely? Why? And if so, who would it be?

Also, I think if we got a third Party it would be Pac-Man, but I like Layton more.
An eShop rep is a pretty unfounded theory, considering that means the character would get in to rep the eShop, and not due to the character itself. And there's no precedent of Sakurai adding characters due to the platform they originated on (which the sole exception of G&W, who literally represents his system, he doesn't just have a game on it). The closest is adding "classic" characters, and from Sakurai's statements those are based around an era, not a platform.

So no, I don't think we'll be getting Mallo or Dillon or any of those characters, but there's more ways than just being playable to represent something.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
When he talked about the success of Snake and Sonic, I figured he'd at least try to get both of them back, and would possibly look into one or two new ones as well. However, when he talks about how difficult the process is, I interpreted that as him wanting to remind fans not to expect many of them (he reinforces this in relation to Tekken characters and whatnot in later interviews that are always brought up during Pacman debates). This is because you can bet, if he said, "Yeah, third parties weren't too difficult for us to add," fans would extrapolate from that and believe we're going to get, like, triple or quadruple the amount of third parties Brawl had.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Do you think we will get a fourth third Party?
Maybe Pac-Man. Other than that, I can't see anyone Sakurai would consider "important" or "legendary" enough. Bomberman and Simon Belmont would be cool, but I don't know if we'd get a second Konami character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If it was a namco rep,it would either be Pac or Kloana.
If capcom got a second rep,it would most likely be Ryu from Street Fighter.
If it was a Konami rep,it would either be Snake or one of the men from Contra.
I am not sure about SEGA,though.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
One thing I've noticed on these forums is that, even if the majority of users share a single general opinion, they often reach that opinion through different means. Little Mac being likely was a solid example. Some saw him as likely because of being in the E3 leak, others saw him as the obvious choice from a prominent new franchise, several took the Punch Out!! Ring as a hint, many saw him as a popular choice for years and years. A few agreed with all of those factors, and a minority saw him as a guy who only punches.

So yeah, while there are topics on which there can seem to be a bit of a hivemind, I don't think every majority opinion can be generalized that way.
It seems like it did turn out that in fact, Little Mac is a "guy who only punches."

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace

It could be possible. If I had to pick one Dillon would be my choice.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It seems like it did turn out that in fact, Little Mac is a "guy who only punches."
Should have been clearer; a minority of people thought that, because Mac only punches, he'd have no chance whatsoever at being noticed as a unique character.

Ah, good times.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I was a person who said he could only punch. I never meant he couldn't be made unique. I'm actually really excited about how he turned out.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, there were a handful of people countering the "not unique, no potential" group by saying that, because Mac only punches, he'd be a highly unique fighter, and this game's equivalent to Dudley and a handful of others. Which, lo and behold, he now is!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The way Mac punches aggressively and wildly makes me want more of types of newcomers like him in the roster.
Prince Sable could have wild cartoonic fighting with his sword to make him feel different.
Who else could use that fighting style?

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I still can't entirely come to grips with Little Mac being a character even after two days. Feels weird, I seriously didn't expect him this early on.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I agree that thus far, all the Newcomers have very distinguished mechanics. Hopefully, the remainder will also be standouts in the roster. :)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I love how Sakurai just surprised us like this. For most times,it would be because of a brand new release. And he kept doing it,then we expected Diddy for DK Tropical Freeze,or Palutena for Valentines,but instead,we got Little Mac.

Sakurai is the master of surprises,isn't he?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still can't entirely come to grips with Little Mac being a character even after two days. Feels weird, I seriously didn't expect him this early on.
Funny considering lots of people were expecting him to be one of the initial reveals at E3.

I agree that thus far, all the Newcomers have very distinguished mechanics. Hopefully, the remainder will also be standouts in the roster. :)
I agree the newcomers have been pretty distinguished from existing characters, but to be fair that usually is how rosters (even of past Smash games) are revealed, the diverse unique newcomers followed by the less-than-original ones (for the most part at least - obv unlockables might be an exception). Best foot forward and all.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I love how Sakurai just surprised us like this. For most times,it would be because of a brand new release. And he kept doing it,then we expected Diddy for DK Tropical Freeze,or Palutena for Valentines,but instead,we got Little Mac.

Sakurai is the master of surprises,isn't he?
I wouldn't rule out Diddy completely, Tropical Freeze comes out in 'murica next week, so maybe Sakurai will reveal him then. It's not like we haven't gotten close-reveals before.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wouldn't rule out Diddy completely, Tropical Freeze comes out in 'murica next week, so maybe Sakurai will reveal him then. It's not like we haven't gotten close-reveals before.
Did I say he was going to be removed?

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if anyone else has noticed that the trailer of Little Mac is only featuring firsts unveiled elements from the game. Just look at the characters that Little Mac is fighting : only the firsts unveiled E3 characters. And I'm not sure about the stages, but it seems like the case too.

Don't you think it's strange ? I'm under the impression that the trailer was made a while back ago.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't know if anyone else has noticed that the trailer of Little Mac is only featuring firsts unveiled elements from the game. Just look at the characters that Little Mac is fighting : only the firsts unveiled E3 characters. And I'm not sure about the stages, but it seems like the case too.

Don't you think it's strange ? I'm under the impression that the trailer was made a while back ago.
King Dedede disagrees with you.

And if you are implying what I think you're implying, it doesn't matter if the leak was legit or not as it has no impact on the great likelyhood of Pac-Man and the "wonderful" Miis.

Last edited:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
King Dedede disagrees with you.

And if you are implying what I think you're implying, it doesn't matter if the leak was legit or not as it has no impact on the great likelyhood of Pac-Man and the "wonderful" Miis.
I forgot Dedede, and I looked the trailer at least ten times o_o.
I wasn't implying that the leak could be true. On the contrary, I was implying that because the trailer could have been made a while back, and the fact we had not any leak confirming Little Mac, this would mean that Sakurai's team are keeping well the secrets (sound guy leak and all would be proven fake). But yes, Dedede disagree with me :) (and so does Marth, but I forgot him too, I wasn't sure for the stage).

But it's still weird that they are not using Rosalina at all...

I'm a little tired, so sorry...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom