• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdilly99

Smash Journeyman
image.jpg

Anybody think this is what the roster may look like? The one next to the villager are mii's. Is this a good thread to be posting this?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh? Was there some sort of new development on that front?
From briefly examining the rumor thread, someone was comparing how a rock formation in one of Little Mac's pictures is the exact same rock seen for one of Palutena's pictures, proving more authenticity to the leak.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
View attachment 8552
Anybody think this is what the roster may look like? The one next to the villager are mii's. Is this a good thread to be posting this?
Are you asking if this is a picture of the actual roster from the game or are you asking if these are the characters we think will be present in the game? I am just gonna assume it is the later. I think the roster might be very close to this picture, although I am not so sure about Diddy/Dixie anymore (or even if she will really be in the game) and Chrom isn't a shoo-in either imo. Also, I'd put Shulk in the picture instead of Isaac.

Mdilly99

Smash Journeyman
Are you asking if this is a picture of the actual roster from the game or are you asking if these are the characters we think will be present in the game? I am just gonna assume it is the later. I think the roster might be very close to this picture, although I am not so sure about Diddy/Dixie anymore (or even if she will really be in the game) and Chrom isn't a shoo-in either imo. Also, I'd put Shulk in the picture instead of Isaac.
This is my own personal roster prediction. I originally had isaac replaced by shulk, no miis, and had k.rool. But decided to shoot this way. Trust me, i thought the same as you.

It looks too generic to be the roster, imo
Well, this is my own personal roster prediction, and i didnt want to add to many characters, because it didnt look right. I had a large roster at first, and cut it down to what seems very reasonable. Not saying i want it to be 100% true though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Well, this is my own personal roster prediction, and i didnt want to add to many characters, because it didnt look right. I had a large roster at first, and cut it down to what seems very reasonable. Not saying i want it to be 100% true though.
Nah, it's not the size of the roster. It's actually the same exact size as my current one. It's just that alot of the characters on there I see alot of other places. Making it look kind of generic.

Mdilly99

Smash Journeyman
Nah, it's not the size of the roster. It's actually the same exact size as my current one. It's just that alot of the characters on there I see alot of other places. Making it look kind of generic.
I understand, i may post an updated one in a few. But this was just my prediction. The only reason i had a large roster and cut some characters out, were because they seemed less likely to me. Like dillon, shulk, and krystal were cut last.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman

Meh. This is just a hybrid of a dream roster and a what-I-think-might-actually-happen roster (hence, Waluigi and lack of Tingle).
  • I actually would prefer Pac-Man to not be in, but it simply makes sense for him to be added.
  • Though I'd prefer Sylveon over Jigglypuff, Sakurai doesn't seem to want cuts, so I left the Jiggsmeister in.
  • Mach Rider will be "the retro revival" of the roster and is a mounted fighter.
  • Decided Robin over Chrom due to avatar status (both male and female versions playable).
  • Mewtwo comeback because it's freaking inevitable, and strongly demanded worldwide.
  • Shulk for Xenoblade/X representation.
  • King K. Rool for demand and previous importance to the DKC series.
  • Dixie Kong for overall DKC representation (important character in two of the three original titles).
  • Ridley for demand and traditional boss status.
  • Toon Zelda/Tetra because... well, I see it as more likely than Tingle. It's just something I'd expect Sakurai to do. They will represent Wind Waker/Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass alongside Toon Link.
  • Waluigi because Waluigi (...well, he's actually a pretty popular choice...right?)
WOAH. How'd I forget G&W?
Ah well. I'll try to remember him next time. :B

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I see the roster as being incredibly safe, that's all.

Reila

I did roster too, nothing really out of ordinary:

explanations below:
Dixie and Diddy Kong: I believe Sakurai might try to make them work together as a paired character again
King K. Rool: Dunno, maybe I just want him to be in the game. Plus, he is popular in both Japan and here in the west
Toon Zelda and Phantom Zelda: I believe Phantom Zelda, the believed to be Assist Trophy, might actually be Toon Zelda transformed
Ridley: Sakurai is teasing us so much about the Pyrosphere. He would have shown Ridley already, should he be a stage hazard
Palutena: Pretty much confirmed imo.
Mii: I believe the E3 leak
Shulk: Wishful thinking, but I think his chances are actually pretty good
Robin: Wishful thinking, I just don't want another blue-haired FE character. Also, I love avatar characters
Takamaru: The most likely retro character to be revived in SSB
Pac-Man: As I said, I believe the E3 leak.
Mewtwo: Returning veteran from Melee, most people like it, so it is almost a shoo in.

I cut Wolf and Snake. Wolf because I think it would be >the one< to be cut, should Sakurai need to. Snake because I just don't see returning, since most MGS games aren't even released for Nintendo consoles and I doubt Sakurai will keep the character just because he is a friend of Kojima. But who knows.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Name some characters you wanted as a kid. I was most into Smash after Melee, so my choices were mostly made at that point. Any time before I guess I never thought much about more characters other than Master Hand and Polygons.

Charizard, Suicune, Dixie Kong, Wario, Meta Knight, Rick, Impa, Daisy, and Bub & Bob were some of my choices.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Name some characters you wanted as a kid. I was most into Smash after Melee, so my choices were mostly made at that point. Any time before I guess I never thought much about more characters other than Master Hand and Polygons.

Charizard, Suicune, Dixie Kong, Wario, Meta Knight, Rick, Impa, Daisy, and Bub & Bob were some of my choices.
Darn, wish I could answer this, but I just didn't care about who was in at the time. I had Yoshi (my, at the time, favorite Nintendo character). Seeing that I hate his guts now, and have Wario and Luigi (Nintendo characters that are pretty high on my awesome meter nowadays), I got nuddin'.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Wolf
More earthbound characters

...wait

I did find an old 07 roster that I could grab up though. It'd be pretty golden to see.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Now that I think about it. If we are going to go with the no cuts theory, wouldn't that mean we would get everyone planned for Brawl? So Dixie, Plusel/Minun, Toon Zelda, Dr. Mario (Might be wrong here), Roy, and Mewtwo? Also, doesn't the fact that Roy was supposed to be added mean that Fire Emblem easily will get 3 reps this time? Especially since it's even more popular?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This was made early 2010 about. When Zoroark was the Pokemon to be. Prior to BW release. So ugly.

I did find an old 07 roster that I could grab up though. It'd be pretty golden to see.
Post it.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Pacman XD.
Feels great to know my childhood dream may become a reality.

Reila

Pac-Man better make this sound at the beginning of the battles he is in (the sound starts at 0:09):

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

my new roster , alts on the bottom .
Been a while since I rated rosters... Anyway:

Pros:
- Nice costume choices
- Has no cuts
- Mewtwo returns
- Has Palutena, Takamaru and Robin

Cons:
- 59 characters seems a tad excessive
- Some characters with low chances such as Bayonetta, Tingle and Waddle Dee

Actually would be a great roster. 8.5/10

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
How was Pre-Brawl times like?
They were the best of times, they were the worst of times. Sort of an exaggeration, but they were cool and had lots of hype in my option.

I'll try to remember as much as I can. My memories are a bit fuddled, so I might have some things wrong.
I was on Serebii.net fourms in early 2007, and I lurked the IGN Brawl fourms in 2006.

----

Little Mac was popular back then, but not as much as after Punch Out Wii.

The Geno and Sonic fanbases were like cults. Of course, Sonic was later revealed for Brawl in October '07.

K.Rool was the main choice for a DK newcomer. Can't remember anything about Dixie Kong, although I think she was way, way less popular than today.

Midna/Midna with Wolf Link was the popular choice for a Zelda newcomer, because recency and Link's revamped Twilight Princess appearance for Brawl. Pretty much the Ghirahim/Yuga of Brawl.

Assist Trophies weren't revealed yet, so it was assumed that the Nintendog puppy was an item all its own. Presumably, it'd be a bone that you'd throw which would summon the dog.

Approximately 45 characters was seen as the realistic guess.

There was the "Koopa Kid", Wind Waker Link, Ridley rumor which also stated that the Ice Climbers (and Game & Watch, I think) would be removed.

Some thought "Koopa Kid" stood for Bowser Jr., while others thought it was Baby Bowser or the actual Koopa Kid from Mario Party. And of course, stupid people thought Baby Bowser, Koopa Kid, and Bowser Jr. were the same being. (it was a pet peeve for me)

Some people wanted the ICs and G&W removed because they were weird and odd choices. Uniqueness be damned. (does that word break the censor rules here?)

Most people (as far as I know) wanted the clones gone. Including the removed Melee clones and Falco.

Replacing Dr.Mario with Paper Mario was apparently a popular idea.

People naturally assumed Mewtwo's return was very high and almost a shoo-in. (he wasn't a clone, was popular, and was unique, despite sucking competitively and being low tier)

I don't remember Roy having the cult-like following that he does today. I think he was lumped in with the other Melee clones.

Much like today, there were people who wanted Ganondorf to have a radically changed moveset with a sword. And sometimes a different design based on his fat Wind Waker appearance.

----
As for myself:

I was only made aware of Brawl because I wanted to rewatch a Newgrounds flash movie titled "Super Smash Bros Brawl." It had Melee characters brutally killing each other.
Before that, I was excited about a "SSB3" and looked at fansites imagining what a third game would be like.

The first Brawl trailer had me super hyped like you wouldn't believe. The summer of 2006 was great.

My first Brawl roster had Aang, Zuko, Stitch, and Rayquaza.

I was one of those people who wanted all Melee characters to stay, no cuts, and no radical changes to characters (and I still do), so I was somewhat of a heretic.

Looking back on it, Dr. Mario and Pichu are kinda useless and "WTF" for Smash Bros choices, but "once a smasher, always a smasher" is my motto.

I got into arguments on the Serebii.Net Forums Brawl thread in 2007, and eventually got banned for a month. Imagine Saturnoah on here during May-June (not that people who joined after July-August would know of course), except 14-15 years old and with a Hawaiian Treecko avatar. (I had a different name; EternalSmasherSceptile)

Lastly, most of the things stated above were comments/ideas, etc. from the Summer of '06 to early 2007. Before the main Brawl Dojo got revamped and started giving out new info regularly.

-----

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
They were the best of times, they were the worst of times. Sort of an exaggeration, but they were cool and had lots of hype in my option.

I'll try to remember as much as I can. My memories are a bit fuddled, so I might have some things wrong.
I was on Serebii.net fourms in early 2007, and I lurked the IGN Brawl fourms in 2006.

----

Little Mac was popular back then, but not as much as after Punch Out Wii.

The Geno and Sonic fanbases were like cults. Of course, Sonic was later revealed for Brawl in October '07.

K.Rool was the main choice for a DK newcomer. Can't remember anything about Dixie Kong, although I think she was way, way less popular than today.

Midna/Midna with Wolf Link was the popular choice for a Zelda newcomer, because recency and Link's revamped Twilight Princess appearance for Brawl. Pretty much the Ghirahim/Yuga of Brawl.

Assist Trophies weren't revealed yet, so it was assumed that the Nintendog puppy was an item all its own. Presumably, it'd be a bone that you'd throw which would summon the dog.

Approximately 45 characters was seen as the realistic guess.

There was the "Koopa Kid", Wind Waker Link, Ridley rumor which also stated that the Ice Climbers (and Game & Watch, I think) would be removed.

Some thought "Koopa Kid" stood for Bowser Jr., while others thought it was Baby Bowser or the actual Koopa Kid from Mario Party. And of course, stupid people thought Baby Bowser, Koopa Kid, and Bowser Jr. were the same being. (it was a pet peeve for me)

Some people wanted the ICs and G&W removed because they were weird and odd choices. Uniqueness be damned. (does that word break the censor rules here?)

Most people (as far as I know) wanted the clones gone. Including the removed Melee clones and Falco.

Replacing Dr.Mario with Paper Mario was apparently a popular idea.

People naturally assumed Mewtwo's return was very high and almost a shoo-in. (he wasn't a clone, was popular, and was unique, despite sucking competitively and being low tier)

I don't remember Roy having the cult-like following that he does today. I think he was lumped in with the other Melee clones.

Much like today, there were people who wanted Ganondorf to have a radically changed moveset with a sword. And sometimes a different design based on his fat Wind Waker appearance.

----
As for myself:

I was only made aware of Brawl because I wanted to rewatch a Newgrounds flash movie titled "Super Smash Bros Brawl." It had Melee characters brutally killing each other.
Before that, I was excited about a "SSB3" and looked at fansites imagining what a third game would be like.

The first Brawl trailer had me super hyped like you wouldn't believe. The summer of 2006 was great.

My first Brawl roster had Aang, Zuko, Stitch, and Rayquaza.

I was one of those people who wanted all Melee characters to stay, no cuts, and no radical changes to characters (and I still do), so I was somewhat of a heretic.

Looking back on it, Dr. Mario and Pichu are kinda useless and "WTF" for Smash Bros choices, but "once a smasher, always a smasher" is my motto.

I got into arguments on the Serebii.Net Forums Brawl thread in 2007, and eventually got banned for a month. Imagine Saturnoah on here during May-June (not that people who joined after July-August would know of course), except 14-15 years old and with a Hawaiian Treecko avatar. (I had a different name; EternalSmasherSceptile)

Lastly, most of the things stated above were comments/ideas, etc. from the Summer of '06 to early 2007. Before the main Brawl Dojo got revamped and started giving out new info regularly.

-----
So it means that in the next Smash you will be a Sceptile :troll:.
.n_n.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
So it means that in the next Smash you will be a Sceptile :troll:.
.n_n.
Well, sadly he doesn't have a Mega evolution.

Speaking of Megas... Lucario. I personally think his FS will change to be Mega Lucario to showcase the ability.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
3DS Roster.png

My Current Roster.
Thoughts? I would give explanations, but I don't know how to do spoiler tags...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Now that I think about it. If we are going to go with the no cuts theory, wouldn't that mean we would get everyone planned for Brawl? So Dixie, Plusel/Minun, Toon Zelda, Dr. Mario (Might be wrong here), Roy, and Mewtwo? Also, doesn't the fact that Roy was supposed to be added mean that Fire Emblem easily will get 3 reps this time? Especially since it's even more popular?
Doubtful.

Sakurai was asked about bringing everyone back and he told them they don't have time for that.

Common sense dictates that Dr.Mario's chances are shot due to Rosalina. That's assuming Sakurai doesn't make him a last minute clone. Mewtwo and Roy are the only two with a good enough chance, and Mewtwo actually has better reasons overall to be added.

So imo, just Mewtwo.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
THANK YOU FOR THIS. Every time someone says "Ghirahim is the Zant of SSB4" I want to strangle them. It's stupid. No one liked Zant. He was actually heavily criticized for his character towards the endgame.

Midna and Wolf Link might have got in, but she became popular when it was far too late for her.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Doubtful.

Sakurai was asked about bringing everyone back and he told them they don't have time for that.

Common sense dictates that Dr.Mario's chances are shot due to Rosalina. That's assuming Sakurai doesn't make him a last minute clone. Mewtwo and Roy are the only two with a good enough chance, and Mewtwo actually has better reasons overall to be added.

So imo, just Mewtwo.
I agree. From the cut characters in Brawl, I would say the title goes to Mewtwo. Dixie Kong and a Toon Zelda have their merits, but that's really it.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I'd imagine some of the reasoning behind not including a Mega Evolution for Lucario is because in the game it required a Trainer to utilize a Mega Ring, Lucario lacks both the bonded Pokemon Trainer and said Mega Ring, hence it would make less sense as to why he could evolve from the viewpoint of X and Y players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom