• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You know, I would like to initiate a new conversation on something that's really been bugging me, if the staff and higher powers of smashboards don't mind.

I just don't see how K. Rool really has a good shot at this game. The only thing he has going for him in regard to relevance is if he is even included in tropical freeze. Don't get me wrong, he's a great character, and i'd like to see him myself, but it seems that he's too far in the past of his franchise to be included in the next installment. I mean, I root for certain characters we haven't seen for awhile, but in their last few installments of their franchises, they still played a huge role. K. Roll just doesn't have a good chance imo.

Please understand that i'm just stating my opinion, and feel free to prove me wrong!
Ahem, allow me.

Currently, King K. Rool is the highest requested newcomer worldwide, Japan included. If Sakurai would go through the trouble of adding the previous most requested, Mega Man, who was third party, requiring far more effort with licensing and such, he would surely add a character that wouldn't be much trouble at all. King K. Rool has also been a very high request for a long damn time, it's honestly overdue, this is the fourth game already. You're confusing relevance and recency as well, King K. Rool is incredibly relevant to Donkey Kong Country as a whole, he's what Bowser is to Mario, the main antagonist. He has a great chance this time, if only because there are absolutely no excuses not to include him, the only reason he wouldn't get in is if Sakurai has some kind of bias against him.

Though he clearly isn't biased against K. Rool, and K. Rool surely hasn't been forgotten, he even had a trophy in both Melee and Brawl. While he wasn't in TF:

[collapse=SPOILER WARNING] Diet K. Rool, aka the main baddy of TF, that walrus guy, is almost exactly like K. Rool. He does almost every single trick that K. Rool did in his own boss fights, the final fight in TF is basically fighting K. Rool without K. Rool being there, it's a blatant ripoff. [/collapse]

Honestly, it all comes down to the fan demand, and Sakurai isn't going to ignore it this time when all the other important characters are already in except Ridley. And yes, K. Rool is still important, just because he's been gone for a while doesn't mean the old DK games don't matter, they're still big parts of the franchise. He even has huge potential for a moveset, something Sakurai is specifically looking for this time, it would be downright insulting not to include him now. Recency is a BS argument in the first place, no characters get in solely because of how new they are, they get in on their own merits from what Sakurai sees in them. Is Little Mac not enough evidence of this? Little Mac was almost solely asked for in the west, and Sakurai heard us, he does listen, many characters have been included due to requests. Dismissing K. Rool is ridiculous just because of his pure demand, not including him would cause a massive outrage, even in Japan.

Bonus challenge: take a shot every time I said K. Rool in this post.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Personal choices for different franchises?
Mario - Toad
Yoshi - Kamek
Wario - Captain Syrup
DK - K.Rool
Zelda - ???
Kirby - ???
Pokemon - N with Reshiram, Zekrom, and Zoroark
Metroid - That one purple thing that starts with an R
Kid Icarus - Orcos Komayto Palutena
Star Fox - Krystal
Mother - Porky
Fire Emblem - ???
F-Zero - Goroh or Black Shadow
Pikmin - Louie
Animal Crossing - Tom Nook?
Wii Fit - Wii FAT Trainer!!!
Punch-Out!!! - King Hippo?
Ice Climber - Undead vegetable man
R.O.B - Prof. Hector
Game & Watch - Oiram Repus?
Third Party - Sora
Smash original - Tabuu

-----

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I didn't exclude myself from that assertion. ;)

I would honestly, like many, put my personal preferences aside. Obviously you must retain some element of surprise, but I would mostly include the characters with high-fan demand and move-set potential that I could actualize.

Game and Watch is repugnant. Honestly, R.O.B., my second to least favorite character is much more entertaining, unique, deserving, and fun than the pixel with the incoherent move-set. I pray he doesn't return every night (knowing that it will never happen).

Chalk outline... make it happen, Sakurai. :gawmelee:
gasp Mr Game and Watch is one of my mains I think he's pretty great

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Yes but I think uniqueness is also a key factor, which is why I expect Cranky.
ScroogeCranky could be fun. Not sure if he'd get in before Dixie, though.

One reason I'd like K Rool is that he'd help expand the Heavyweight roster. And he'd be distinguished among the Heavyweights on account of the diversity of the tools he uses in battle.

That, and his maniacal temperament. :p

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Ahem, allow me.

Currently, King K. Rool is the highest requested newcomer worldwide, Japan included. If Sakurai would go through the trouble of adding the previous most requested, Mega Man, who was third party, requiring far more effort with licensing and such, he would surely add a character that wouldn't be much trouble at all. King K. Rool has also been a very high request for a long damn time, it's honestly overdue, this is the fourth game already. You're confusing relevance and recency as well, King K. Rool is incredibly relevant to Donkey Kong Country as a whole, he's what Bowser is to Mario, the main antagonist. He has a great chance this time, if only because there are absolutely no excuses not to include him, the only reason he wouldn't get in is if Sakurai has some kind of bias against him.

Though he clearly isn't biased against K. Rool, and K. Rool surely hasn't been forgotten, he even had a trophy in both Melee and Brawl. While he wasn't in TF:

[collapse=SPOILER WARNING] Diet K. Rool, aka the main baddy of TF, that walrus guy, is almost exactly like K. Rool. He does almost every single trick that K. Rool did in his own boss fights, the final fight in TF is basically fighting K. Rool without K. Rool being there, it's a blatant ripoff. [/collapse]

Honestly, it all comes down to the fan demand, and Sakurai isn't going to ignore it this time when all the other important characters are already in except Ridley. Even so, K. Rool is still important, just because he's been gone for a while doesn't mean the old DK games don't matter, they're still big parts of the franchise. He even has huge potential for a moveset, something Sakurai is specifically looking for this time, it would be downright insulting not to include him now. Recency is a BS argument in the first place, no characters get in solely because of how new they are, they get in on their own merits from what Sakurai sees in them. Is Little Mac not enough evidence of this? Little Mac was almost solely asked for in the west, and Sakurai heard us, he does listen, many characters have been included due to requests. Dismissing K. Rool is ridiculous just because of his pure demand, not including him would cause a massive outrage, even in Japan.

You know, I was going to try and talk about K. Rool in a similar light, but since you pretty much hit the nail right on the head, I'll just quote you.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Ahem, allow me.

Honestly, it all comes down to the fan demand, and Sakurai isn't going to ignore it this time when all the other important characters are already in except Ridley. And yes, K. Rool is still important, just because he's been gone for a while doesn't mean the old DK games don't matter, they're still big parts of the franchise. He even has huge potential for a moveset, something Sakurai is specifically looking for this time, it would be downright insulting not to include him now. Recency is a BS argument in the first place, no characters get in solely because of how new they are, they get in on their own merits from what Sakurai sees in them. Is Little Mac not enough evidence of this? Little Mac was almost solely asked for in the west, and Sakurai heard us, he does listen, many characters have been included due to requests. Dismissing K. Rool is ridiculous just because of his pure demand, not including him would cause a massive outrage, even in Japan.

I'm sold. Thank you, now I can actually hope for K. Rool. I just wasn't sure, but everyone's arguments have sold me to believe he's got a good chance.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Well, now that that Direct is out of the way and Little Mac is revealed (so pumped to play as him), I'd like to make a suggestion. Now that the prime time for a Donkey Kong related reveal has passed, I hope to have what I like a call a "Villain E3", where I would like to see Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and a revamped Ganondorf. If this happened, I would be absolutely thrilled.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Well, now that that Direct is out of the way and Little Mac is revealed (so pumped to play as him), I'd like to make a suggestion. Now that the prime time for a Donkey Kong related reveal has passed, I hope to have what I like a call a "Villain E3", where I would like to see Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and a revamped Ganondorf. If this happened, I would be absolutely thrilled.
That would be a pretty neat idea. And every single part of that suggestion would bring pretty huge levels of hype. I mean, c'mon: two of the most wanted characters in the world, everyone's favorite psychopathic giant:troll: dragon, and Ganondorf no longer Captain Falcondorf. The only downside is how much hype that could've been drawn out throughout the year used up in one fell swoop.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You know we really should have expected Mac because of his signature Pink jumpsuit, which is of course a predominant color of Valentines day. We are all stupid and Sakurai is quite sly for that one. The next reveal I'm expecting won't be a very exciting character. Some one completely predictable of not being cut from SSBB like Wario, Diddy, or Yoshi. The next newcomer will be the Fire Emblem character.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
You know we really should have expected Mac because of his signature Pink jumpsuit, which is of course a predominant color of Valentines day. We are all stupid and Sakurai is quite sly for that one. The next reveal I'm expecting won't be a very exciting character. Some one completely predictable of not being cut from SSBB like Wario, Diddy, or Yoshi. The next newcomer will be the Fire Emblem character.
Eh, I agree with you on the next reveal being obvious, but I think Mac may have been revealed because he boxed Donkey Kong. That seems to be the entire theme of his poster. THAT was clever. Anyway, I think that the next newcomer we get will be a RETRO character.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Eh, I agree with you on the next reveal being obvious, but I think Mac may have been revealed because he boxed Donkey Kong. That seems to be the entire theme of his poster. THAT was clever. Anyway, I think that the next newcomer we get will be a RETRO character.
Ditto.
I'm thinking Takamaru or Lip is our next newcomer. Takamaru has an anniversary in April as well (And those things are indeed relevant again thanks to Mac's reveal.)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Also, because Doc loves Chocolate which is a common gift for Valentine's Day.

What do people expect in March, anyway?
Snake? Unlikely, since even though GZ comes out in March, it's not on a Nintendo console.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I'm not even going to act like I can guess who we're getting next.
Perhaps it is better to leave to the element of suspense. I simply do enjoy predicting characters just to see if I or others can predict Sakurai, and a lot of my friends are thinking Taka.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Would be a slight case of irony if we get Little Mac, and then Takamaru. The irony of course being that this wouldn't be the first time the two were in the same game, and of course the Doc Louis' quote "The punch is mightier then the sword" being put into question.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've finally become very excited to try Little Mac out, I think I'll actually really like playing as him. Still wish there were some gifs of his reveal.

I'll be really disappointed if his pink sweatsuit isn't an alt costume though.

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
If you wont I will, We are getting ness next.
...I'm down with Ness.

What do people expect in March, anyway?
Snake? Unlikely, since even though GZ comes out in March, it's not on a Nintendo console.
Yeah, something tells me Nintendo wouldn't be so silly as to advertise a major release for everything but itself. Well, I hope that I'm right, anyway.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Would be a slight case of irony if we get Little Mac, and then Takamaru. The irony of course being that this wouldn't be the first time the two were in the same game, and of course the Doc Louis' quote "The punch is mightier then the sword" being put into question.
I like the thought of that, and the East vs West idea. However, I don't think we will get a retro yet, mainly because I think, at least in my opinion Mac is a retro character.

Also, while I don't like Mac's inclusion, I'll probably use him. I love fast light characters like Pikachu and Game and Watch, and I absolutely hated Game's inclusion in SSBM and SSBB.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The thing is, it would be rather strange to see 2 newcomers in a row outside of E3, tbh. So I wouldn't expect it. Sure would be funny, though

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I certainly think it is fitting. Not only that quote, but the old East VS West conflict, Taka vs Mac would make a lot of sense.

BTW, more Captain Rainbow reunion.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I certainly think it is fitting. Not only that quote, but the old East VS West conflict, Taka vs Mac would make a lot of sense.

BTW, more Captain Rainbow reunion.
I don't care about Captain Rainbow, but more excuses to bring Lip into the conversation.

So yeah, we need Mac, Takamaru, and Lip.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps it is better to leave to the element of suspense. I simply do enjoy predicting characters just to see if I or others can predict Sakurai, and a lot of my friends are thinking Taka.
Yeah, I like trying to predict Sakurai, too, but we've left the point where people can really make educated guesses (Toon Link coincides with WWHD, etc). Basically, I'm just going to be along for the ride, hoping Chibi Robo finds some favor, eventually.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, I will say that I did like the animation for Little Mac, where it was all stylized sort of like a comic.

I sort of want to see more animation styles played with for future newcomers.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Also, I will say that I did like the animation for Little Mac, where it was all stylized sort of like a comic.

The video is so dope I had to watch it a bunch of times, mainly because I love Doc, he's a cool character. I can't wait to Palutena's reveal because of how cool this one looks. I also wish Phoenix Wright would be added because the idea of a Kirby ate all of DK's banana's court case would be amazing.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Like I said in the Palutena thread...
For Palutena an anime styled cutscene would be a neat reference to Revolting Dinner.
And for Takamaru I could see an oil-paint art style, which would look pretty cool.
Or they could do a Samurai Jack styled cutscene. That would be so badass, oh man.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Pretty unlikely. Just saying. :p
He's most likely not going to do a "Villain E3."

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
If Wonder Red is a newcomer, the trailer should open like a superhero cartoon. Since comic book style was already taken

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Add Vaati to the mix and we'll have the best E3 anybody has ever seen.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Its looking like the Palutena leak is 100% real.

Might as well add her to your rosters!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
maybe leave out mewtwo and include a different villain(Kamek, a zelda villain like Girahim or vaati, or maybe even dark matter).

seeing as mewtwo seems to be the most anticipated worldwide, he should advertise the release.

Its looking like the Palutena leak is 100% real.

Might as well add her to your rosters!
is there any sort of reason you bring this up now?

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I don't know what characters might fit the bill, but a claymation reveal trailer with clay fighters on a clay stage would be pretty claycool.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think some people are reaaally streching K. Rool's chances around here, but I am not even going to argue, since he is my favorite villain tied with Rids and I am big supporter of him. Anyway, really hoping the next newcomer to be revealed is a villain (And by newcomer, I don't include Mewtwo).

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't think we should be really pressured on being a hive mind when it comes to what is likely, because it's still pretty subjective considering none of us are staff members designing the games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom