• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, there were a handful of people countering the "not unique, no potential" group by saying that, because Mac only punches, he'd be a highly unique fighter, and this game's equivalent to Dudley and a handful of others. Which, lo and behold, he now is!
I was one of those people.

Absolutely no guilt whatsoever from it.

I presume some of the stuff I'm going to say are also going to be roughly on par with what actually happens.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Why would they need to?
For the same reason that they showed Megaman, Villager and WFT...
I was just expecting her in the trailer, Sakurai showed a lot of Rosalina pictures in Miiverse, but nothing for the trailer. I'm not implying anything at all.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well there wasn't an abundance of logic behind the not unique/no potential arguments to begin with.

SAKURAI OBVIOUSLY CAN'T MAKE A FIGHTING MOVESET FOR A BOXER DUR

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
SAKURAI OBVIOUSLY CAN'T MAKING A FIGHTING MOVESET FOR A BOXER DUR
That is the most random quote I have seen from you this far.

It's almost as if you have two sides.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well, Sakurai dismissed Urban Fighter because all he does is punch.

But he has changed his mind before.

Even though I thought Little Mac's chances were low, I did try my hand at a moveset. I thought there was going to be a star based mechanic where the B move adds stars which fuels the other specials. If this power meter does fuel the other specials (which it might because the same specials seem to have different colors at times that match a color in the meter), then I was somewhat close on the mechanic. The meter is a smoother approach (color coordinated rather than numerical based) and allows a longer charge time (as opposed to three stars).

So far I got the Forward Smash, possible forward tilt, down B, and pummel correct. Which frankly means that I have a lot of misses on a character that only punches.

I also did not think he would be so fast; on rolls and with his dash.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
100th page,*******! :cool:

who would be the most likely retro character for a future Smash game?
Kind of a toughie,since we already have Little Mac,ROB,Game and Watch,etc.

Takamaru,Sheriff,Mach Rider,Bubbles (Clu Clu Land),and maybe Bubs from Bubble Bobble

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
100th page,*******! :cool:

Assuming Takamaru gets in this game, who would be the most likely retro character for a future Smash game?
Kind of a toughie,since we already have Little Mac,ROB,etc.

1.Takamaru
2.Mach Rider
3.Sheriff
4.Bubs from Bubble Bobble
5.Bubbles from Clu Clu Land

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Even though I thought Little Mac's chances were low,
I Call BS.

You were kind of overly against it.

You literally did say all he could do was punch,and you were right. But Sakurai made it work.

And now you're moving on to say the same thing to Urban Champion? What? Why?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Assuming Takamaru gets in this game, who would be the most likely retro character for a future Smash game?
Well, after Takamaru, one of the most popular choices I see is Lip, so perhaps if she doesn't get in this game, she'll have a decent shot at the next one.

One of the nice things about Retro's is that they can take as long as they want to get into the game.

Happy Hundred Pages!

What character do you think will be revealed next?
Perhaps Takamaru? If I recall, he has a game anniversary coming up in April, and revealing him right after Little Mac would provide some excellent contrast.

Alternatively, we could see a new Fire Emblem character, since I believe there's also an anniversary for that in April. However, I see that as slightly less likely, as to me it seems that they would rather reveal either brand new series characters or new characters to already big franchises, like Mario, Pokemon, or Donkey Kong, first. It's still possible, but I find a reveal of Takamaru a bit more fitting for the time. Assuming he gets in, of course.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I Call BS.

You were kind of overly against it.

You literally did say all he could do was punch,and you were right. But Sakurai made it work.

I was very against Little Mac.

And I thought his chances were low. And I did think he could only punch. And that seems true.

And Sakurai did dismiss Urban Fighter's chances because all he can do is punch. But he also said the Villager would not fit Smash, pre-Brawl.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Of course, this is presuming there is some sort of retro pattern to begin with.
Normally pattern thinking is dumb, I agree, but here I don't see why there wouldn't be, Sakurai has stated he's including a "classic character" for two different games and the time he didn't he stated the inclusion was due to popularity, yet the character was only popular to some extent compared to other retros.

I don't think a Retro is a set thing. If there is, its common sense for it to be Takamaru. Then maybe DHD or Lip.
Sakurai did mention he was considering another retro capable of a series revival like Pit for SSB4, so it's not too much of a stretch to think there will be.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Of course, this is presuming there is some sort of retro pattern to begin with.
Well there's probably going to be a franchise Sakurai wants to revive, he's doing the best he can to make them appear in some form. And if the character is interesting enough to him for them to be playable, he'll probably give it a go. We'll probably get a "classic" character in each new installment.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Newcomers: Mii, Pac-Man, Palutena, Takamaru, Shulk, Ridley, Chibi-Robo, Dillon or Muddy Mole, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Mach Rider
Returning Veterans: Mewtwo, Roy
Cut: Lucas, Wolf, Snake

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Normally pattern thinking is dumb, I agree, but here I don't see why there wouldn't be, Sakurai has stated he's including a "classic character" for two different games and the time he didn't he stated the inclusion was due to popularity, yet the character was only popular to some extent compared to other retros.
Pit was never claimed to be popular among some imaginary list of classic picks. No specific groups, it was a general statement.

Ironically, if that was the case, Pit would of been skipped over again for some queer reason.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pit was never claimed to be popular among some imaginary list of classic picks. No specific groups, it was a general statement.

Ironically, if that was the case, Pit would of been skipped over again for some queer reason.
Exactly, Pit wasn't claimed to be popular among the other retros... but he wasn't a popular character. Yet he was claimed to be included... due to popularity. The only level of popularity he had... was among retros.

Characters like Dedede, Diddy, MK, Wario, Olimar... they can claim to have been included due to general popularity (other things too though obv), because they were among the most popular requests in general. But Pit never was, yet Sakurai said he was included... due to popularity. He wasn't a generally popular character, but he was a popular retro character.

You're assuming Sakurai made us privy to the full story, which is rarely what developers do. You might say I'm connecting dots that aren't there, but you're suggesting a character with relatively mediocre popularity was included due to general popularity.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally when it comes to retros, I think Kaeru no Tame ni Wa Naru has the most potential, with a simple, but great characters and story. Though everyone claims that Takamaru will be the retro, how would his revival game go exactly? Would it be an action adventure game like KI:U?

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
I would really like Excite Biker (turns out, I was confusing the character's name with Mach Rider's. WHOOPS), as I feel he's one of the few retro characters I'm familiar with. Not only that, but a mounted fighter would be extremely unique to the roster, as well as a bike tricks-based moveset. I'd luvit.

I've also never heard of Takamaru until I started stalking this forum, nor do I find him all that interesting. Apparently he got a callback in Nintendo Land, which is nice for his chances. I wouldn't mind him over Excite Biker, as neither are exactly characters I feel could really excite me for the game.

Heh... excite. Excite Biker. Huhuhuh.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Exactly, Pit wasn't claimed to be popular among the other retros... but he wasn't a popular character. Yet he was claimed to be included... due to popularity. The only level of popularity he had... was among retros.
N3ON confirmed for never being around during the pre-Brawl days.

Pit before the 2006 reveal was actually more discussed then supposed popular characters like Krystal and Geno, he was requested as a character during the time the roster was being compiled, and guess what he's on the roster because of. It was stated to be popularity in Japan and North America, there was no mentions whatsoever of filling in some sort of retro niche nor being categorized among a certain group. Why should we pretend that the director of the ****ing game is lying?

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Lucas,I can kind of understand,but Wolf and Snake?

You're out of your mind!
I may be out of my mind.

I think Sakurai wants to keep third party characters low in number.
I think Pac-Man will be a third party character.
I think Snake has a chance to be cut to keep third party character count low (and possibly Nintendo may not want to advertise a game that may no longer be on Nintendo consoles. The creator did mention that PS4 was the must-have console. Then again his opinion, the console war, and all that jazz may not effect the inclusion or exclusion of Snake).

Bare in mind, I thought Sonic would be cut with the idea that third party characters were guests. And thus only to be in one Smash game. I was very wrong.

I do not think Wolf adds that much to the game. The idea of high risk/high reward and long distance moving Smashes are good areas of design space. But this design space can be delegated among other characters.

Keep in mind that I am often wrong.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I would really like Excite Biker (turns out, I was confusing the character's name with Mach Rider's. WHOOPS), as I feel he's one of the few retro characters I'm familiar with. Not only that, but a mounted fighter would be extremely unique to the roster, as well as a bike tricks-based moveset. I'd luvit.

I've also never heard of Takamaru until I started stalking this forum, nor do I find him all that interesting. Apparently he got a callback in Nintendo Land, which is nice for his chances. I wouldn't mind him over Excite Biker, as neither are exactly characters I feel could really excite me for the game.

Heh... excite. Excite Biker. Huhuhuh.
You just convinced me that excite biker will be in. Not even kidding, I feel that Sakurai would LOVE to have a fighter that's off the wall unique. Excite Biker would be a perfect display of creativity in this game.

You made me, dare I say, EXCITED?!? :)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He's also spoke positively of the past third-party inclusions.
Not back then. He acknowledged the benefits, but talked about how difficult it was, and how in some ways it's more difficult than making the game itself. There's at least two quotes I can remember where he discussed third parties in a negative light.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Joe D. Joe D.
If you want a character like Excitebiker, a mount character of sorts, I feel like Mach Rider is the better option.
He has more potential, is more popular, and Sakurai has mentioned him as his favorite idea for a character.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I may be out of my mind.

I think Sakurai wants to keep third party characters low in number.
I think Pac-Man will be a third party character.
I think Snake has a chance to be cut to keep third party character count low (and possibly Nintendo may not want to advertise a game that may no longer be on Nintendo consoles. The creator did mention that PS4 was the must-have console. Then again his opinion, the console war, and all that jazz may not effect the inclusion or exclusion of Snake).

Bare in mind, I thought Sonic would be cut with the idea that third party characters were guests. And thus only to be in one Smash game. I was very wrong.

I do not think Wolf adds that much to the game. The idea of high risk/high reward and long distance moving Smashes are good areas of design space. But this design space can be delegated among other characters.

Keep in mind that I am often wrong.
You're stating the exact reason Snake isn't going to be cut, he's a third party. Sakurai has to go through licensing and dealing with multiple outside parties in order to get a character, he can't just cut Snake after he's already in, he's either in or out, there's no maybe. Sakurai made a statement before that no characters had been cut (so far). The basic assumption one can make from this statement is that everyone from Brawl is planned to return unless time constraints come up. Seeing as Snake is included in that, and he's a third party, this means that Sakurai already has the licensing for him, and he's already in the game, so he's not leaving.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You're stating the exact reason Snake isn't going to be cut, he's a third party. Sakurai has to go through licensing and dealing with multiple outside parties in order to get a character, he can't just cut Snake after he's already in, he's either in or out, there's no maybe. Sakurai made a statement before that no characters had been cut (so far). The basic assumption one can make from this statement is that everyone from Brawl is planned to return unless time constraints come up. Seeing as Snake is included in that, and he's a third party, this means that Sakurai already has the licensing for him, and he's already in the game, so he's not leaving.
I'm glad somebody else can explain this instead of me. Thank you.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well Urban Champion can literally just punch.
Unlike Mac, UC has no substance to his punches, nothing interesting or unique, like Mac. No stun punches, power meter, star uppercut...
He just punches. Literally a boring straight punch.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Am I the only one that feels Pokemon + Mario + Zelda newcomers are sort of like a package deal?

I would feel weird not having a fifth slot for one, while the other two do.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, Sakurai dismissed Urban Fighter because all he does is punch.
Difference is... Urban Champion sucked. Punch-Out!! is where it's at.

Nintendo really should revive Urban Champion and make it a decent beat'em up game like Streets of Rage, Final Fight, Double Dragon, and River City Ransom. That should redeem it.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Am I the only one that feels Pokemon + Mario + Zelda newcomers are sort of like a package deal?

I would feel weird not having a fifth slot for one, while the other two do.
Personally I think that Mario and Pokémon are in a completely different league than Zelda.
While Mario and Pokémon have several hundered million games sold, Zelda has around 50 million or so.
Same with DK. Personally I consider Zelda and DK in almost the same league.
Also, unlike Mario which can never truly be complete, I feel that Zelda is in a great spot right now.
The hero, the damsel, the villain, and Toon Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom