• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
u sure about that chief?

Icarus was that dude who flew into the sun and got his wings melted. u mean to tell me thats him? thats not much better.......
It's not like he's the actual character, he's just based on him, they're very different. Did you know Link is based on Peter Pan.

Zynux

Smash Lord
While Dark Pit is a talking point here, that brings up a question.

While Pittoo looks like Pit (and literally IS a clone of him), does that necessarily mean he will share Pit's moveset? It has been a while since I played Uprising, but doesn't that game have a ton of stuff it could potentially lend to Dark Pit?
Of course not; every character has the potential to be unique or a clone of another, whether it's overt or not. However, Dark Pit shares Pit's body type and characters that share characteristics have a higher probability of being clones. It is widely speculated Dark Pit would be an easy to develop clone of Pit if Sakurai so deems it.

If Kid Icarus gets a newcomer, Dark Pit is not desirable to most people. Medusa/Hades would be the preferred characters.

I wouldn't think too much of it. Lucina isn't a big shocking character if you didn't believe the leak. Probably some fan who wanted some characters over others and made a "leak" out of it.
Maybe, since Lucina is used heavily for Awakening marketing, but from what I saw many didn't expect Lucina because many speculated that she would just be a clone of Marth (heh), and thus speculated more in Chrom's and Robin's favor. I personally still find Lucina to be "shocking", but that is just based on my own personal perspective.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I don't understand why if we're getting a Kid Icarus clone, it's Dark Pit when the superior choice is clearly Medusa.

- Appears in all games in the series
- Visually diverse from her base (Palutena)
- Freaking cool evil snake lady
- Did I mention she is a freaking cool evil snake lady?
Just to humor the notion that Dark Pit actually has a chance, it could be for the same reason that Sakurai chose not to include Wario as a clone of Mario in Melee, and instead opted for the less important (and less popular) Dr. Mario. He said that it wouldn't do Wario justice. Which is strange to me, because Luigi was a clone in 64, and Ganondorf certainly deserves more than to be a Captain Falcon clone. But he was probably referring to Wario's different physique and the fact that it would be weird for him to throw fireballs and stuff.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Question time!

If you were in Mr. Samurai's position and were in charge of SSB4's character selection and you could add three last-minute clone/semi-clone characters, who would they be?

My choices:

Baby Bowser
Yoshi series character and a lighter, faster, somewhat weaker clone of Bowser. Has Bowser's old Koopa Klaw for a side special and has a unique final smash.

Metal Mario
The same polygonal one from SSB64, with his custom metallic mushroom series symbol as well. Has Mario's old SSB64 moveset with some tweaks to the special moves, like having Mario Metal Tornado reflect projectiles at the end of the animation. Has a unique side special and final smash.

Giant DK
Also from SSB64. Has DK's original moveset from that game. Might have a new side special and final smash.

---

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
If Dark pit ends up playable they'll need to add some visual differences, because alternate colors and metal box.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I feel like that's not the point.

Dark Pit looks identical to Pit in every way, except that he has different colours.
It would be like if we included Dark Link in Melee.
I'm not advocating for his inclusion, i'm just pointing out that so far we haven't seen the black recolor from Brawl, since it wasn't present in the demo.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I feel like adding any character to the roster, who has the same name as another character, but with the word "Dark" in front of it, is prooobably a bad move LOL.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I've been doing some digging and Bandana Dee is a definite possibility for August along with Meta Knight.
  • Sakurai was born on August 3rd, 1970
  • Kirby's Dreamland was released in NA on August 1st.
  • Kirby Fighter's Z is still not announced for NA. I wonder when it will be announce or even come out..... :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not advocating for his inclusion, i'm just pointing out that so far we haven't seen the black recolor from Brawl, since it wasn't present in the demo.
Neither was Mario's black color.

Black Mario confirmed as separate character

Khoru

Smash Champion
I feel like adding any character to the roster, who has the same name as another character, but with the word "Dark" in front of it, is prooobably a bad move LOL.
i'd argue that dark samus would be a worthy semi-clone, being, as opposed to a reflection of samus, an extremely powerful metroid that stole one of her suits

but dark pit/link/kirby/meta knight/pichu yeah

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Question time!

If you were in Mr. Samurai's position and were in charge of SSB4's character selection and you could add three last-minute clone/semi-clone characters, who would they be?
---
Omitting Lucina.

- Dixie Kong, semi clone of Diddy Kong
- Medusa, clone of Palutena
- Aran Ryan, clone of Little Mac

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Just to humor the notion that Dark Pit actually has a chance...
Your post, overall, was good, but this is the reason I liked it.

Seriously, if Dark Pit is growing to be a shoo-in, I'm not understanding why he wouldn't have gotten an official reveal in Palutena's trailer and a page on the site like Lucina did in Robin's trailer.

I understand that it's the ambiguity of the trailer, but all we know is that Dark Pit will be in in some fashion. And who doubted that? The Kid Icarus universe, as a whole, has become Sakurai's waifu.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Question time!

My choices:

Baby Bowser
Yoshi series character and a lighter, faster, somewhat weaker clone of Bowser. Has Bowser's old Koopa Klaw for a side special and has a unique final smash.

Metal Mario
The same polygonal one from SSB64, with his custom metallic mushroom series symbol as well. Has Mario's old SSB64 moveset with some tweaks to the special moves, like having Mario Metal Tornado reflect projectiles at the end of the animation. Has a unique side special and final smash.

Giant DK
Also from SSB64. Has DK's original moveset from that game. Might have a new side special and final smash.

---
If Lucina's already in, then
1.Vaati (if he's not already a unique character)
2.Dark Pit
3.Bright Pit :troll:

D

Deleted member

Question time!

Do they have to be realistic?

Homura as semi-clone of Mii Gunner

Dixie Kong as semi-clone of Diddy Kong
Black Shadow as clone of Captain Falcon
Ridley as clone of Zelda. Hey, he's playable guys! You can stop complaining!

...There was a black Mario?, wasn't it brown?

Actually i would love to see this as a palette swap.
View attachment 18382
Brown, Black, Tomato, Tomahto

I always called it black, but either way, that swap was not in the demo. It must mean that color has been promoted to playable.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
We know Lucina wasn't added as a Marth alt because of the small difference in her abilities, I think it makes sense for Dark Pit to have no difference in abilities and have him be an alt of Pit. It makes more sense for Dark Pit to be an alt of Pit than it is for Lucina to be an alt of Marth because he's literally a mirrored version of Pit.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
So I guess no one wants to talk about Bandana Dee's chances....like always. :(

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Your post, overall, was good, but this is the reason I liked it.

Seriously, if Dark Pit is growing to be a shoo-in, I'm not understanding why he wouldn't have gotten an official reveal in Palutena's trailer and a page on the site like Lucina did in Robin's trailer.

I understand that it's the ambiguity of the trailer, but all we know is that Dark Pit will be in in some fashion. And who doubted that? The Kid Icarus universe, as a whole, has become Sakurai's waifu.
The only thing that's tripping me up is, what capacity would he appear in?

An AT wouldn't get treatment like that, and none of the alt costumes so far have gotten that kind of treatment.

Shroob

Sup?
That is a really, really good point. If Dark Pit is in, how the hell will they make him look different than Pit under the effect of the Metal Box? They are identical aside from their color. Take that away, and...

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
-King Hippo (Punch Out)
From a non Fire Emblem fan, a complete clone of Marth makes no sense. Therefore, why not add King Hippo? He'd at least be a slower, bigger, heavier, stronger version of Little Mac who even fights a bit dirtier)

-Michael "Mike" Jones (StarTropics) Clone to Zero Suit Samus, except with non-feminine attack poses. Less agile, and ranged attacks are faster, but shorter.

-Zoda (StarTropics) A faster version of Zelda, with dark elemental based powers. (Dark Flame, Shadow Twister, Mystic Teleport) Instead of the Phantom, he summons one of his alien spawns that grapple the opponent.

If I were Sakurai, of course. :p

Shroob

Sup?
-King Hippo (Punch Out)
From a non Fire Emblem fan, a complete clone of Marth makes no sense. Therefore, why not add King Hippo? He'd at least be a slower, bigger, heavier, stronger version of Little Mac who even fights a bit dirtier)

-Michael "Mike" Jones (StarTropics) Clone to Zero Suit Samus, except with non-feminine attack poses. Less agile, and ranged attacks are faster, but shorter.

-Zoda (StarTropics) A faster version of Zelda, with dark elemental based powers. (Dark Flame, Shadow Twister, Mystic Teleport) Instead of the Phantom, he summons one of his alien spawns that grapple the opponent.

If I were Sakurai, of course. :p
Considering that King Hippo can't jump more than a few inches off the ground.... Also, he'd only ever have one stock. :p

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I always called it black, but either way, that swap was not in the demo. It must mean that color has been promoted to playable.
Well i was just answering the guy who asked if we didn't have a Dark Pit recolor for Pit, and i just answered that we do indeed have one but we just haven't seen it yet, i'm not implying this means Dark Pit is playable, but i do think it means he might be a more elaborate alternate costume with different voice lines and everything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's the best way to avoid flame wars.

Other than not mentioning Smash 4's gameplay, because the longer those threads remain open, the quicker they will degrade. It's like Godwin's Law for SmashBoards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well i was just answering the guy who asked if we didn't have a Dark Pit recolor for Pit, and i just answered that we do indeed have one but we just haven't seen it yet, i'm not implying this means Dark Pit is playable, but i do think it means he might be a more elaborate alternate costume with different voice lines and everything.
I don't think that would be the case, as I don't think costumes would change the identity of the character.

For example, Zoroark as a Lucario alt.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
They could easily give Dark Pit dark aura glowing around his body to visually make him different, or just give him the Dark Pit Staff as the main weapon he uses and a different pose (Like Lucina) so that it's easy to distinguish.
It's not that hard.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I just can't see Dark Pit as playable. Aside from readability, as mentioned above, he's pretty much identical to Pit, and under the effect of the metal box, it'd be impossible to tell him apart unless they gave him like a permanent purple glow or something.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
On the topic of DLC, if the first DLC character isn't Rayman...

Really, with that trophy, it almost seems like Ancel actually got in contact with Sakurai and asked him personally to add Rayman, but it was another "Snake in Melee" situation where it was too late. But Sakurai still went through the trouble of asking for concept art, but solely for a trophy? Maybe he figured they could work on him after the games released and add him as DLC, but thanks to Ancel and co. sending a model, Sakurai decided to add him as a trophy... Maybe the trophy could even hint at him fighting.

I don't even know, I just want Rayman and I'm not stopping until he's fighting everyone alongside the other guests.

...I wonder if I could perhaps take ownership of the Rayman thread, the guy hasn't bothered to update it with the trophy.
Should I just message a mod or something?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I don't think that would be the case, as I don't think costumes would change the identity of the character.

For example, Zoroark as a Lucario alt.
Well Zoroark would require a completely different model, and i agree that some of those are kinda dumb, like Falco as an alt. for Fox, but Dark Pit i think makes sense because he's literally just a Black Pit, heck the guy has even the same VA, and even if they didn't change the voice most people would just assume it's a Dark Pit costume since he was referenced in the Palutena trailer.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
While I wouldn't say that I'm confident in his chances, Dee's been appearing more and more frequently. He's a character that HAL is obviously investing in, and I could easily see him getting in the next Smash, if not this one.

The only thing that's tripping me up is, what capacity would he appear in?

An AT wouldn't get treatment like that, and none of the alt costumes so far have gotten that kind of treatment.
I can easily see him being an alt. with a different voice, like WFT and Robin. I just can't see Dark Pit being anything else.

And, while it was executed differently, Mr. Fit and Female Robin did get some advertising in the April Direct and Monday's trailer, respectively. Perhaps Dark Pit wasn't outed as such because 1) It was Palutena's trailer, so showcasing Pit's alt. wouldn't make as much sense as it did in the Lucina/Robin trailer, and 2) Sakurai likes to be mysterious. He also likes Kid Icarus. This is the best of both worlds.

That's my take on the situation, anyway.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Rayman was probably added as a trophy as one of the homages of Nintendo's videogame history.
We'll probably see more content from third parties, we could get Layton, Geno, and Bomberman as ATs or trophies.

I just can't see Dark Pit as playable. Aside from readability, as mentioned above, he's pretty much identical to Pit, and under the effect of the metal box, it'd be impossible to tell him apart unless they gave him like a permanent purple glow or something.
Read the previous post I made, it's not that hard to distinguish Dark Pit from Pit.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well Zoroark would require a completely different model, and i agree that some of those are kinda dumb, like Falco as an alt. for Fox, but Dark Pit i think makes sense because he's literally just a Black Pit, heck the guy has even the same VA, and even if they didn't change the voice most people would just assume it's a Dark Pit costume since he was referenced in the Palutena trailer.
But my point is that while Pittoo and Pit are practically identical, I don't they will go the extra mile to give him different voice lines if he's not his own slot.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Has a character ever had any kind of "purple glow" like situation or other permanent aura I'm not recalling?

In other news, I hope there's no dark pit unless he's an AT, that'd be fine with me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom