• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Oh, quick question. Since Sakurai said characters with the same exact properties were the ones who were just alts, wouldn't Dark Pit be an alt since he should have the exact same properties as Pit? Height, weight, strength, and speed?
This is interesting.

Lucina is Marth stat and moveset-wise, but loses the tipper mechanic. Thus, she is less about spacing making her possibly easier for beginners.

Can we do the opposite for Pit. Lets say Pit was made easier for a beginner to pick up. What if Dark Pit retains the glide Pit lost (since Dark Pit I believe from research could fly continuously at some point) and the old Up B recovery.

So in this case Dark Pit could be the advanced Pit as Lucina is the beginner's Marth.

Last edited:

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
It's his 2nd most used weapon.
And his Figma has both it and the Silver Bow as weapons for him to hold (while Pit just gets the Palutena Bow).
Why I bring up his Figma is because Sakurai has it, and made this pic quite a while back:

....with him using it.
This means if Dark Pit is playable in Smash, he's using the Dark Pit Staff somewhere (even if it's just for a Special attack or two).
I have all these except charizard!

Morbi

Scavenger
I have a Zelda newcomer, but I don't believe in the Trophy theory...
I am certainly an advocate of the trophy quiz theory as it helped me successfully speculate in favor of Robin. I thought something was odd about the Tiki trophy, the score, "Id Purpose," certainly pertains to Robin; however, I thought about the theory from a Chrom perspective. He cannot even have a support conversation with her. Lucina and Robin could, of course. So I thought about other clues with other characters (Palutena... lol) and they happened to coincide with characters that I already support anyways (I have supported Ridley since the April Direct and a Legend of Zelda newcomer since I joined, Robin sometime before Ike's reveal). Blatantly disregarding the segments as coincidence might be the easy thing to do, but I myself cannot wait to see what this entails.

#SponsorDatTheory

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am certainly an advocate of the trophy quiz theory as it helped me successfully speculate in favor of Robin. I thought something was odd about the Tiki trophy, the score, "Id Purpose," certainly pertains to Robin; however, I thought about the theory from a Chrom perspective. He cannot even have a support conversation with her. Lucina and Robin could, of course. So I thought about other clues with other characters (Palutena... lol) and they happened to coincide with characters that I already support anyways (I have supported Ridley since the April Direct and a Legend of Zelda newcomer since I joined, Robin sometime before Ike's reveal). Blatantly disregarding the segments as coincidence might be the easy thing to do, but I myself cannot wait to see what this entails.

#SponsorDatTheory
Now for Ghirahim.

Fi was the character shown, and Ballad of the Goddess played at the time.

There is a remix of that song with Ghirahim's theme mixed in. Also, Fi is the antithesis to Ghirahim.

That's all I got.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

#SponsorDatTheory
Well, i certainly support this theory, time to update my roster!

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
If the Trophy Theory gets Ridley in the game as a playable character, then I'm all for it. But I can't think of a Zelda character that I actually would want in Smash...

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
No, he is not. He is voiced by Anri Katsu, who has never voiced Freeza. His personality is similar, though that is because they are both based on the same tropes.

I'm imagining this is the case.

The guy works at Gematsu, so they were probably invited to E3. And the tipper, obviously might have gotten some earlier info on E3 and shared it with some journalists.

Oh. Whoops. I should have fact checked that. I've been saying that on boards for a long time. Whoops. :nervous:

D

Deleted member

Actually, I believe that the informant Sal got his information from was legit. To an extent.
Think about it; he was able to accurately claim "Animal Crossing Guy" a.k.a. Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer would be at E3 2013.
As for Little Mac, Miis, and Pac-Man, who all didn't show up at E3 yet have all been shown at a later time?
Legitimately lucky guesses.

My theory is that the informant actually had information in regards to the E3 2013 reveals. Specifically Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer. However, for whatever reason, the informant mentioned three other characters that would NOT be present.
It could be that if the informant mentioned only the ones that would actually show, it'd be much more obvious for Nintendo to find him out. It could be that the informant wanted to come off as a prophet using the characters that actually show as leverage. It could be that the informant thought that the other three were locks and included them in his message to Sal. Who knows?
Whatever the reason, it was coincidence that Miis, Pac-Man, and Little Mac were all in the game.

Now, what about the other parts of the leak, you may ask.
Well, the characters in question were quite easier to speculate about than the previous set with the sole exception of the Chorus Kids. And to a smaller extent the "Pokémon from X/Y". Not that it wasn't relatively easy to speculate we'd get a Pokémon from X/Y, but the common belief was that we were getting Brawl's Pokémon plus Mewtwo.
So my theory is that this ties into the prophet idea. With relatively safe bets plus the three accurate E3 characters, he could be seen as a legitimate prophet.

Then we get to E3 2014. Again, the informant got a hold of some legitimate info. Hence the name "Mii Fighters" as opposed to just "Miis" like before. Strangely, though, the informant only said that the remaining characters would be participating in the game and didn't raise specifics on to which ones would appear at E3. Though I have a feeling that the informant did in fact know at least Mii Fighters and Palutena would show up, given again the fact he used the term "Mii Fighters", and that he tried to emphasize Palutena as "Goddess Palutena". Given the circumstances of Pac-Man's debut, I'm unsure whether he could have really known beforehand.

Now of course, this is just my theory. I'm willing to buy the "I saw 'Protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening' and assumed it meant Chrom" story and the "I mistook Robin for Shulk for Monday's reveal" story the informant is giving if the Chorus Kids actually do show up, though. Until they do, it just comes off as desperate backpeddling to me.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Actually, I believe that the informant Sal got his information from was legit. To an extent.
Think about it; he was able to accurately claim "Animal Crossing Guy" a.k.a. Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer would be at E3 2013.
As for Little Mac, Miis, and Pac-Man, who all didn't show up at E3 yet have all been shown at a later time?

My theory is that the informant actually had information in regards to the E3 2013 reveals. Specifically Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer. However, for whatever reason, the informant mentioned three other characters that would NOT be present.
It could be that if the informant mentioned only the ones that would actually show, it'd be much more obvious for Nintendo to find him out. It could be that the informant wanted to come off as a prophet using the characters that actually show as leverage. It could be that the informant thought that the other three were locks and included them in his message to Sal. Who knows?
Whatever the reason, it was coincidence that Miis, Pac-Man, and Little Mac were all in the game.

Well, the characters in question were quite easier to speculate about than the previous set with the sole exception of the Chorus Kids. And to a smaller extent the "Pokémon from X/Y". Not that it wasn't relatively easy to speculate we'd get a Pokémon from X/Y, but the common belief was that we were getting Brawl's Pokémon plus Mewtwo.
So my theory is that this ties into the prophet idea. With relatively safe bets plus the three accurate E3 characters, he could be seen as a legitimate prophet.

Then we get to E3 2014. Again, the informant got a hold of some legitimate info. Hence the name "Mii Fighters" as opposed to just "Miis" like before. Strangely, though, the informant only said that the remaining characters would be participating in the game and didn't raise specifics on to which ones would appear at E3. Though I have a feeling that the informant did in fact know at least Mii Fighters and Palutena would show up, given again the fact he used the term "Mii Fighters", and that he tried to emphasize Palutena as "Goddess Palutena". Given the circumstances of Pac-Man's debut, I'm unsure whether he could have really known beforehand.

Now of course, this is just my theory. I'm willing to buy the "I saw 'Protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening' and assumed it meant Chrom" story and the "I mistook Robin for Shulk for Monday's reveal" story the informant is giving if the Chorus Kids actually do show up, though. Until they do, it just comes off as desperate backpeddling to me.
Pretty much this, I think the leaker had info on E3, but the other "leaks" are questionable.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman

Considering how much he was right about, I'm content with thinking that he just didn't know everything, rather than saying he was an invalid source, altogether. The Chorus Kids, as you said, would solidify this.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Pretty much this, I think the leaker had info on E3, but the other "leaks" are questionable.
I'm not entirely sure what to think of the "leak" anymore. I doubted the leak being real for the longest of time, since all it did was get some "unlikely predictions" correct. While those were some incredible predictions, they were still technically predictable. Someone, somewhere in the world could have just been that lucky. It wasn't until E3 came around and "Mii Fighters" were leaked and confirmed, as well as the Rhythm Heaven enemy being seen did I start thinking the leak had real, but outdated, information.

But now that's he's gotten a number of things completely wrong, I'm wondering if this was just something the leak missed, or if this "leak" is anything at all...

As I've mentioned before, I, for one, don't care whether or not the rest of the leak is true, as the least favorable of it's components has been disconfirmed.
But then again, I suppose it doesn't really matter now.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Chrom simply could have been the Marth clone instead of Lucina during development. But Chrom looked too similar to Marth.

Lucina is easier to distinguish so she was swapped.

Doesn't Chrom have a nice model for Robin's Final Smash?

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I personally tend to fit with the whole "expect the worst, so you can be surprised (or not) with the best.

Don't see Lucina being a clone any issue. Already have toon link. So...

What do you guys think will be Foxes custom blaster moves would be?

Then Falcos,

Then wolf's.

Shroob

Sup?
T
Chrom simply could have been the Marth clone instead of Lucina during development. But Chrom looked too similar to Marth.

To be honest, I think Chrom looks less Marth-like than Lucina. Lucina is intentionally designed to look like Marth.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
The only concern I had for the leak was whether it consisted of every newcomer we had to look forward to, or just part of it. Luckily, that ship has sailed.

Chrom does have a nice model, but the problem I have with that theory is, so do all the Mega Men in Mega Man's final smash.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
After reading all these theories and visiting the support thread, I kinda want Ghirahim now.

of course right after I finished putting all these stamps in my sig

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm just enjoying the fact people are realizing Dark Pit has a real chance now. :awesome:
I always felt that the Dark Pit picture from back then meant something, as time went on at E3. hints of Dark Pit rose that started to lead to the conclusion that Pittoo is more than an alt., and now that semi-clones are confirmed, I feel so confident and very happy about Pittoo at this point.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ok guys, I used math, alcohol, and being ****** up in the head to make this roster, which I think we have a good chance of getting. How would y'all feel about it?
3DS Roster.png

(Impa, Pittoo, and Dixie are semi clones/clones)

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
IBut now that's he's gotten a number of things completely wrong, I'm wondering if this was just something the leak missed, or if this "leak" is anything at all...

But then again, I suppose it doesn't really matter now.
I agree with this sentiment, there's only two characters left with everyone else already being confirmed, so it's not like there's much of a difference. I already believed Shulk to be likely before the leak, but what I'm concerned with is the Chorus Men.

Shroob

Sup?
I myself can't see the appeal to most Zelda newcomers outside of Tingle/Impa. They're all one shot wonders who will most likely never appear in a main series game again.

D

Deleted member

@ Bowserlick Bowserlick
Like I said at the end of my wall-o-text, the current story about Chrom is that like "Pokémon from X/Y", the informant actually saw "Protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening" and merely assumed it was referring to Chrom and didn't think about Awakening's other protagonist, Robin.

Which also supports the idea that the informant is not getting any visuals.
Especially since the story about Shulk not being Monday's reveal is that the informant mistook Robin for Shulk.

No story was given about Lucina, strangely enough. Or at least I haven't seen one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I was thinking that Daisy could be a Peach clone without the gliding mechanic and higher jumps. A beginner's Peach just as Lucina can be viewed as a beginner's Marth.

Then I realized we would have three Mario Universe Royalty and three Mario Universe Italians in overalls.

Pattern complete.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Chrom does have a nice model, but the problem I have with that theory is, so do all the Mega Men in Mega Man's final smash.
Yeah exactly, the reason the "Final Smash" characters look good if because, like they Assist Trophies, there's not much else for them to do.
Unlike the characters who have dozens of very intricate animations that their models have to conform too, the ATs FS characters' animations are probably a lot less intricate, especially the Mega Men.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
@ Bowserlick Bowserlick
Like I said at the end of my wall-o-text, the current story about Chrom is that like "Pokémon from X/Y", the informant actually saw "Protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening" and merely assumed it was referring to Chrom and didn't think about Awakening's other protagonist, Robin.

Especially since the story about Shulk not being Monday's reveal is that the informant mistook Robin for Shulk.
This seems to be the most simple and elegant explanation.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
@ Bowserlick Bowserlick

To be fair, Shulk and Robin do look similar from a glance, though, I haven't heard that defense from anyone before myself.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
However, does this mean that there is no Shulk?

That would disappoint quite a few on these boards.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
New prediction roster! Advocates for both the trophy theory and Gematsu:

-Chorus Kids can be anyone from RH.
-K. Rool could also be Dixie.
-Sadly since it advocates for Gematsu, Lucas is out.

Hawlucha.png

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

-Sadly since it advocates for Gematsu, Lucas is cut.

View attachment 18391
This roster makes me very happy.

I think Yoshi and King K. Rool would have to be switched. Just so the DK fellows can stay together.

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman

-Sadly since it advocates for Gematsu, Lucas is cut.

View attachment 18391
The only gripe I have is that Ghirahim is in and Lucas is out. But it's your roster, so 10/10, because everything else is fine.

Also, ZSS is looking rather...childish today. :troll:

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Maybe I'm just hardwired in cynicism, but I expect Shulk and the Chrous Men to be the last two characters period. Assuming Luigi, Captain Falcon, and Marth are secret characters per usual, they're not trying to hide them this time. Which could mean all newcomers will be revealed prior to the game's launch, unlockable or not.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
The only gripe I have is that Ghirahim is in and Lucas is out. But it's your roster, so 10/10, because everything else is fine.

Also, ZSS is looking rather...childish today. :troll:
Ha! beat you to the punch (fix'd again).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom