• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Rayman was probably added as a trophy as one of the homages of Nintendo's videogame history.
We'll probably see more content from third parties, we could get Layton, Geno, and Bomberman as ATs or trophies.

Read the previous post I made, it's not that hard to distinguish Dark Pit from Pit.
Does Dark Pit even use the Dark Pit staff? I'm pretty sure his weapon of choice is the Silver Bow.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Rayman was probably added as a trophy as one of the homages of Nintendo's videogame history.
We'll probably see more content from third parties, we could get Layton, Geno, and Bomberman as ATs or trophies.
It is tempting to want other third-parties as ATs, but it seems insulting to them to not be playable. I'm leaning towards more of a "have them playable or don't have them at all" position.

Then again, Rayman is already in as a (presumably) generic trophy, so I guess an AT would be better than nothing...

----

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Micheal Ancel (the creator of Rayman) himself said that he wanted Rayman in Smash, considering Sakurai stated that he asked for reference drawings, it's probable that Ancel went to him about including Rayman as a fighter. Hell, Ancel knows Miyamoto so he probably went to him first about it. With DLC as a possibility, I'm still thinking it's a Snake situation.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If Dark Pit actually is an alternate costume of Pit with his own voice and what not they probably didn't want to reveal that in the demo. All of the character in the demo only had 4 of there normal colors, and there had to be at least 4 so 4 people can play that one character at once.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
So, I noticed many of you do not have a new Zelda rep in your rosters.

I am curious what those of you that don't, think about the whole trophy theory?

The TT could very likely be wrong, but, it sure seems quite likely, obviously in my opinion.

What do you think was the point of the trophy commercials during the direct? Just a transition? (If it actually wasn't a secret hint.)

D

Deleted member

Does Dark Pit even use the Dark Pit staff? I'm pretty sure his weapon of choice is the Silver Bow.
It's his 2nd most used weapon.
And his Figma has both it and the Silver Bow as weapons for him to hold (while Pit just gets the Palutena Bow).
Why I bring up his Figma is because Sakurai has it, and made this pic quite a while back:

....with him using it.
This means if Dark Pit is playable in Smash, he's using the Dark Pit Staff somewhere (even if it's just for a Special attack or two).

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

The TT could very likely be wrong, but, it sure seems quite likely, obviously in my opinion.

What do you think was the point of the trophy commercials during the direct? Just a transition? (If it actually wasn't a secret hint.)
I still think that a reworked Ganondorf will be our "newcomer," as in, instead of adding a new guy, the resources used to make a newcomer will go towards him instead.

At least, Ganondorf better not be Falcondorf again...

The villain trailer idea with King K. Rool, Ridley, and a reworked Ganondorf sounds very good...

Shroob

Sup?
And his Figma has both it and the Silver Bow as weapons for him to hold (while Pit just gets the Palutena Bow).
Why I bring up his Figma is because Sakurai has it, and made this pic quite a while back:

....with him using it.
This means if Dark Pit is playable in Smash, he's using the Dark Pit Staff somewhere (even if it's just for a Special attack or two).
That picture has always made me believe that Sakurai was hinting all of these characters all the way back when, and I agree, Dark Pit is pretty plausible.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Clone/costume talk.

What about these ladies?

Ew, why is Pauline on there? ...I'm sorry, continue.

....with him using it.
Is there a better shot of Dark Pit?
Also, where is that Ness from?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
That picture has always made me believe that Sakurai was hinting all of these characters all the way back when, and I agree, Dark Pit is pretty plausible.
Mother of god, if the Dark Pit fans are right about Lucina actually meaning something towards Dark Pit's inclusion, then this whole time he's been sitting right there. Which also means that if he is a clone, then clones have been planned since the start of development. Which further disproves anyone saying that the Gematsu leak could be outdated, as Sakurai would have planned Robin and Lucina from the start, with absolutely no plans for Chrom being playable. Mind = blown.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I still think that a reworked Ganondorf will be our "newcomer," as in, instead of adding a new guy, the resources used to make a newcomer will go towards him instead.

At least, Ganondorf better not be Falcondorf again...

The villain trailer idea with King K. Rool, Ridley, and a reworked Ganondorf sounds very good...
He wouldn't be called a Newcomer though, you are saying, right? Just that technically he is a newcomer from the whole reworking.

And the Trophy Theory? Are you saying Ganondorf fits it, or its irrelevant?

Morbi

Scavenger
Mother of god, if the Dark Pit fans are right about Lucina actually meaning something towards Dark Pit's inclusion, then this whole time he's been sitting right there. Which also means that if he is a clone, then clones have been planned since the start of development. Which further disproves anyone saying that the Gematsu leak could be outdated, as Sakurai would have planned Robin and Lucina from the start, with absolutely no plans for Chrom being playable. Mind = blown.
It is impossible to refute that his information was not outdated.

"Pokemon from X and Y"

Shroob

Sup?
Y
Poor Samus.

As for the possibility of Dark Pit, please no. Even if he's just a clone, Kid Icarus getting three characters before Metroid, DK or F-Zero would just be an example of pure favoritism.
You can have a 3rd DK rep.... Dixie, semi-clone of Diddy.:troll:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Lucina's addition makes me feel this roster is possible. Guys in red are clones or semi-clones (Gdorf would have a new moveset.)

I'm saying it's possible. Certain things such as DHD (for guys like Takumaru or Biker) and Snake could be changed around.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
How does this say anything about Robin? It still could have been planned for Chrom and clone Lucina but then switched to Robin and clone Lucina.

D

Deleted member

Is there a better shot of Dark Pit?
Also, where is that Ness from?
This is the only shot of the "scene" Sakurai set up.
Though if you're talking about a better shot of the Dark Pit Figma in general, Sakurai's posted a few.

As for the Ness, idk.

EDIT: Now I know what the Ness figure is.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
He wouldn't be called a Newcomer though, you are saying, right? Just that technically he is a newcomer from the whole reworking.

And the Trophy Theory? Are you saying Ganondorf fits it, or its irrelevant?
As in the theory that the four trophies quizzes from that one direct were hinting towards characters? Then yes, with Fi being a hint at Ganondorf.
It is impossible to refute that his information was not outdated.

"Pokemon from X and Y"
Well Sakurai said that he made Greninja based on only concept art, so he would have planned a "Pokemon from X/Y"

You misunderstand what I meant, not that his information wasn't outdated, but that there never was any.
What I was getting at was that Sal Romano may be playing us all and he's really just the luckiest guesser in the world.
That bloke needs to buy lottery tickets.

Morbi

Scavenger
As in the theory that the four trophies quizzes from that one direct were hinting towards characters? Then yes, with Fi being a hint at Ganondorf.

Well Sakurai said that he made Greninja based on only concept art, so he would have planned a "Pokemon from X/Y"

You misunderstand what I meant, not that his information wasn't outdated, but that there never was any.
What I was getting at was that Sal Romano may be playing us all and he's really just the luckiest guesser in the world.
That bloke needs to buy lottery tickets.
Ah, I see. Thank you for the clarification. I do not believe that he "guessed" Wii Fit Trainer and Villager, but I suppose that is my opinion and we shall see what the future yields in regards to what he "predicted."

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This is the only shot of the "scene" Sakurai set up.
Though if you're talking about a better shot of the Dark Pit Figma in general, Sakurai's posted a few.

As for the Ness, idk.

EDIT: Now I know what the Ness figure is.
Yes, I was referring to the figure itself, thanks.
Damn, Figma stuff looks good.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

I have a Zelda newcomer, but I don't believe in the Trophy theory...

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Can someone fill me in on what this Ghiriam fellow does, I gave up on zelda after the trainwreck of Twilight Princess.

Also, I'm down for fat impa/Hilda in smash as my newcomer :troll: (but actually it'd be cool)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Can someone fill me in on what this Ghiriam fellow does, I gave up on zelda after the trainwreck of Twilight Princess.
Man, so much hate for my favorite Zelda on these boards

ANYWAY

Ghirahim is the fabulous antagonist of Skyward Sword.
And he is quite fabulous.

Click here to learn more.

But being fabs is all you need to know.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Oh, quick question. Since Sakurai said characters with the same exact properties were the ones who were just alts, wouldn't Dark Pit be an alt since he should have the exact same properties as Pit? Height, weight, strength, and speed?

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I was referring to the figure itself, thanks.
The Ness figure is from a series of Banpresto figurines celebrating Mother and Mother 2 that started coming out in 2010. They were only in Japan, in UFO crane catching games.

I would've answered your question sooner, but I operate from an iPhone, which isn't the easiest thing in the world.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh, quick question. Since Sakurai said characters with the same exact properties were the ones who were just alts, wouldn't Dark Pit be an alt since he should have the exact same properties as Pit? Height, weight, strength, and speed?
Highly possible that Sakurai could make him slightly stronger but slower and pass him off as a new character.... Or give him Pit's Brawl moveset.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The Ness figure is from a series of Banpresto figurines celebrating Mother and Mother 2 that started coming out in 2010. They were only in Japan, in UFO crane catching games.

I would've answered your question sooner, but I operate from an iPhone, which isn't the easiest thing in the world.
I will respond to your belated response by responding extremely quickly.

Thank you. I would like to get my hands on that Ness figure.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ah, I see. Thank you for the clarification. I do not believe that he "guessed" Wii Fit Trainer and Villager, but I suppose that is my opinion and we shall see what the future yields in regards to what he "predicted."
What I'm getting from this, is that if Dark Pit actually is a clone character, then Sakurai basically just posted a picture full of unconfirmed playable characters a long time ago. With one of those characters being a clone (presumably), then that means that clones (and the entire roster) were indeed planned from the beginning, including Lucina, meaning that there would absolutely be no way that Sakurai suddenly decided to just drop Chrom and add Lucina in the middle of development.

I'm imagining multiple scenarios:

A: The initial leak was actually legit info, and Sal's tipster decided to BS a bunch of characters for the next "leak."

B: The initial leak was correct, and Sal's tipster somehow got both correct and incorrect info for the second leak.

C: Sal's tipster really did work at Namco, but only got mentions of different characters and assumed they were all playable.

D: Sal made up the entire story after he just got an incredibly lucky guess, and his second guess happened to be partially right.

Out of all of these, A and D seem the most likely when you consider Sal's "friend Shulk" leak.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

Also, I'm down for fat impa/Hilda in smash as my newcomer :troll: (but actually it'd be cool)

Without Spoilers,

Ghirahim continually antagonizes Link throughout the adventure of Skyward Sword. You fight him a couple times and he has some cool moves such as grabbing your sword with his fingers. I agree with you that Twilight Princess was not the best Zelda. Ghirahim is a much better villain than Zant was. G, actually interacts with Link multiple times and has some great cutscenes and lines. He also is voiced acted by the Japanese voice actor of Freeza from Dragon ball Z. He has a Freeza villain attitude too.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Man, so much hate for my favorite Zelda on these boards

ANYWAY

Ghirahim is the fabulous antagonist of Skyward Sword.
And he is quite fabulous.

Click here to learn more.

But being fabs is all you need to know.
Thanks for the link, sorry to dislike you're favorite zelda rep, but it's no his fault, he simply appeared to late in the series to get any support from me. I want some throwback characters (Beast Ganon, Hilda/Impa, even Vaati) before these new fangled whosawhatsits

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
He also is voiced acted by the Japanese voice actor of Freeza from Dragon ball Z. He has a Freeza villain attitude too.
No, he is not. He is voiced by Anri Katsu, who has never voiced Freeza. His personality is similar, though that is because they are both based on the same tropes.

What I'm getting from this, is that if Dark Pit actually is a clone character, then Sakurai basically just posted a picture full of unconfirmed playable characters a long time ago. With one of those characters being a clone (presumably), then that means that clones (and the entire roster) were indeed planned from the beginning, including Lucina, meaning that there would absolutely be no way that Sakurai suddenly decided to just drop Chrom and add Lucina in the middle of development.

I'm imagining multiple scenarios:
A: The initial leak was actually legit info, and Sal's tipster decided to BS a bunch of characters for the next "leak."
I'm imagining this is the case.

The guy works at Gematsu, so they were probably invited to E3. And the tipper, obviously might have gotten some earlier info on E3 and shared it with some journalists.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Without Spoilers,

Ghirahim continually antagonizes Link throughout the adventure of Skyward Sword. You fight him a couple times and he has some cool moves such as grabbing your sword with his fingers. I agree with you that Twilight Princess was not the best Zelda. Ghirahim is a much better villain than Zant was. G, actually interacts with Link multiple times and has some great cutscenes and lines. He also is voiced acted by the Japanese voice actor of Freeza from Dragon ball Z. He has a Freeza villain attitude too.
Dangit, now that I heard the Frieza part, I kinda want Ghirahim now. :laugh:

No, he is not. He is voiced by Anri Katsu, who has never voiced Freeza. His personality is similar, though that is because they are both based on the same tropes.
Now you just ruined it... :(

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I will respond to your belated response by responding extremely quickly.

Thank you. I would like to get my hands on that Ness figure.
Haha. Yeah, I noticed that Golden and Chris Baker got to it first, by the time I had written that, but it's not very often I can actually answer people's questions.

As for the figure itself, Ness is definitely the easiest to find. Almost every wave of figurines had Ness in it, so there are quadruple the amount of Nesses, compared to, say, Porky, who was only in one or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom