• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
So, with the jump in FE characters from 2 to an impressive 4, what other franchises do you think will follow?
Many people seem to think DK could, and it would be well deserved due to the popularity of its latest games.
But who else? Would Sakurai boost Kid Icarus and Kirby reps just as much? I'd like to know what you all think.
I agree DK should, Kirby if Bandanna Dee becomes a thing, also let me say that avatar of yours is stunning :awesome:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Here's my preferred somewhat realistic roster; this isn't what I expect:
Blue = Starter
Red = Unlockable
Yellow = DLC

Newcomers:
  • Paper Mario
  • Rosalina
  • Dixie Kong
  • King K. Rool
  • Ridley
  • Palutena
  • Greninja
  • Robin
  • Lucina
  • Shulk
  • Mii Fighters
  • Megaman
  • Pac-Man
  • Bandana Dee
  • Krystal
  • Issac
  • Mach Rider
  • Takamaru
I'll probably make a couple of changes later.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I always wished fighting games had a way to permanently delete characters off your game.

I know it sounds silly, but a lot of these characters I just don't ever want to see on my television screen.
Why do you have so much animosity towards the characters? I mean, I understand disliking the choices (I am not fond of the three Miis), but I wholeheartedly think every character deserves to be "on the screen". It just wouldn't make much sense to have a way to delete characters.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hey guys, you want a 60 character roster?
(one that's cooler than @ Rockaphin Rockaphin 's roster? :troll:)

Okay.

Lucina Is Here  Roster.png

This isn't a prediction roster. My last one was. This isn't really a dream roster, either. It's more like a "best case scenario" roster.
All the indivdual characters have merits and likelihood on their own, but getting them all is implausible, so that's why I called it that.

Newcomers:

- Palutena
- Villager
- Mega Man
- Rosalina
- Greninja
- Little Mac
- Pac-Man
- Robin
- Lucina
- Ghirahim
- King K Rool
- Dixie Kong
- Ridley
- Shulk
- Ringside Duo
- Mii Fighters

DLC:

- Captain Toad
- Inkling

EDIT: @ Rockaphin Rockaphin How dare you steal my thunder?

Last edited:

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
I seriously get the feeling that Charizard is really going to be shot down by the Smashboards tier rating community ( Which is sooooo not biased ) Simply because Greninja exists. I guess it's just type effectiveness in play.
Just a thought.

Morbi

Scavenger
I always wished fighting games had a way to permanently delete characters off your game.

I know it sounds silly, but a lot of these characters I just don't ever want to see on my television screen.
I have an idea, you could take a piece of paper, preferably black construction paper, and cover their icon with it. :dazwa:

Here's my preferred somewhat realistic roster; this isn't what I expect:
Blue = Starter
Red = Unlockable
Yellow = DLC

Newcomers:
  • Paper Mario
  • Rosalina
  • Dixie Kong
  • King K. Rool
  • Ridley
  • Palutena
  • Greninja
  • Robin
  • Lucina
  • Shulk
  • Mii Fighters
  • Megaman
  • Pac-Man
  • Bandana Dee
  • Krystal
  • Issac
  • Mach Rider
  • Takamaru
I'll probably make a couple of changes later.
Honestly, I just felt like pointing this out because your roster lacked a Legend of Zelda newcomer, you do not need to consider it... but I believe that Ghirahim is one of the more overt ideal choices on the remaining roster based on the notion that the trophy quiz theory is ever so accurate at the current time. It is the reason why I correctly speculated in favor of Robin.

Number2joker

Banned via Warnings
Chrom would like it that way, a martyr, like his sister. It should not have taken his unfortunate status to breathe life into those support threads though, people are so petty.

Ivysaur might be a good choice. I am not sure if he would work for Smash though. It would be difficult to find a move-set for him.
Maybe. But to follow the "trend" it has to be a level 3 starter. Lets look at our choices

Generation 1 - :003: to big and slow, probably not going to work
Generation 2 - :154: maybe.......... but it might be kinda awkward to pull off

Generation 3 - Sceptile...... Bingo, Seems like a good fit

Generation 4 - Torterra.......See Venasaur

Generation 5 - Serperior........ He's a big ass snake. So no.

Generation 6 - Chestnaut...... Maybe but do we really need 2 starters from generation 6?? I dont think so.

Winner is Sceptile basically by default.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Honestly, I just felt like pointing this out because your roster lacked a Legend of Zelda newcomer, you do not need to consider it... but I believe that Ghirahim is one of the more overt ideal choices on the remaining roster based on the notion that the trophy quiz theory is ever so accurate at the current time. It is the reason why I correctly speculated in favor of Robin.
That, my friend, was one of the first things I noticed. I actually considered Vaati, Impa, Ghirahim, or even Classic Ganon. The reason one is left is due to my inability to pick one of the four over the other characters. Maybe Takamaru, but I might make a change in the near future.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Maybe. But to follow the "trend" it has to be a level 3 starter. Lets look at our choices

Generation 1 - :003: to big and slow, probably not going to work
Generation 2 - :154: maybe.......... but it might be kinda awkward to pull off

Generation 3 - Sceptile...... Bingo, Seems like a good fit

Generation 4 - Torterra.......See Venasaur

Generation 5 - Serperior........ He's a big *** snake. So no.

Generation 6 - Chestnaut...... Maybe but do we really need 2 starters from generation 6?? I dont think so.

Winner is Sceptile basically by default.
He also has a Mega evolution :dazwa:

Number2joker

Banned via Warnings
I have an idea, you could take a piece of paper, preferably black construction paper, and cover their icon with it. :dazwa:

lol ok

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Is anybody else doubting DLC right now? With the addition of last minute clones, I think DLC may be gone.
Hrrrrmmm...
Considering that a lot of Wii U games are getting the DLC treatment nowadays, I guess its a possibility.
I, however, highly, HIGHLY doubt that DLC might contain some now Reps. If anything, DLC that could work might contain some stages, if acceptable.
For example, there might be a DLC going for 1.00 USD that features the Original N64 stages.

And yes, I'd really like some N64 stages, but I know that will not happen... right?

Morbi

Scavenger
I seriously get the feeling that Charizard is really going to be shot down by the Smashboards tier rating community ( Which is sooooo not biased ) Simply because Greninja exists. I guess it's just type effectiveness in play.
Just a thought.
Charizard was in one official game; he is also one of the most difficult characters to place because he is attached to two other characters and it is impossible to play solo-Charizard. That is not going to be the case in Smash 4.

I am not sure if the Project M tier list is out, but based on what I saw, he is the definitive mid-tier character. Regardless, why is it relevant if Charizard is not "rated" top-tier. Honestly, that is a great thing, you can surprise people with the match-up. Any character has the capacity to be a top-tier character under the correct circumstances.

Is anybody else doubting DLC right now? With the addition of last minute clones, I think DLC may be gone.
No.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Meganium could work as a heavier Ivysaur. He would also be an "obligatory post-Brawl remake rep", as I like to call them.

But that's assuming this "starter trio" thing actually happens, which I'm not really banking on.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Alright, this is a strange roster. You may question it a little bit. 54 characters is quite big, and personally I'm expecting around 52.
But now that we have to start from scratch, well, I'm just going to post this.
Experimental  Roster.png

This is not what I expect to happen. Rather, everything going on inside my head at the moment.

1. What Happened to Gematsu?
Let me answer that: I don't know. I have this nagging feeling that it's still partially correct; that Shulk and Chorus Kids are still on the way. But in that case, why did it get Chrom wrong? I'm still thinking outdated, but hopefully more info comes soon.

2. Clones?
Well, Lucina's a clone, we know that now. Which leads me to think: maybe Sakurai is trying to beef up this roster like he did in Melee. Add some last minute additions to the roster and make fans happy. So not only does this open up the opportunity for Dark Pit and Dixie Kong to join the roster, but it assures the returns of Falco, Wolf, and Lucas for me.

3. How about everyone else?
I'm creative at times, but surely throwing K. Rool and Ridley on a roster is something you've all seen before. Both some of my favorite newcomer possibilities, I think that they have quite a bit going in their favor too. While there is also some evidence against their inclusion as well (cough cough, Ridley), I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. They'd be awesome secret characters. And Mewtwo is on here so yeah.

Number2joker

Banned via Warnings
Why do you have so much animosity towards the characters? I mean, I understand disliking the choices (I am not fond of the three Miis), but I wholeheartedly think every character deserves to be "on the screen". It just wouldn't make much sense to have a way to delete characters.
too many anime characters. what is this naruto? or dragon ball z???

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
I've been trying to make a new roster, but 4 FE reps is seriously messing with me. It just seems weird to me that FE would surpass StarFox, Metroid, Kirby and DK in terms of reps, so whenever I make a roster I make sure to give 4 reps to each of those franchises but it just inflates my roster to ~60 characters (which while awesome just seems like too much). Am I being too OCD? Or does anyone else feel like this?

Number2joker

Banned via Warnings
Meganium could work as a heavier Ivysaur. He would also be an "obligatory post-Brawl remake rep", as I like to call them.

But that's assuming this "starter trio" thing actually happens, which I'm not really banking on.
I like that idea. but your right nintendo will probably **** it all up

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
too many anime characters. what is this naruto? or dragon ball z???
...we really don't have any anime characters. We have Pokemon, which you appear to have no problem with, Kid Icarus that just have a little anime short that is simply fan service, and... Fire Emblem? Do you think that's an anime?

Number2joker

Banned via Warnings
...we really don't have any anime characters. We have Pokemon, which you appear to have no problem with, Kid Icarus that just have a little anime short that is simply fan service, and... Fire Emblem? Do you think that's an anime?
yeah. Fire emblems not anime?

Its true i like pokemon

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I've been trying to make a new roster, but 4 FE reps is seriously messing with me. It just seems weird to me that FE would surpass StarFox, Metroid, Kirby and DK in terms of reps, so whenever I make a roster I make sure to give 4 reps to each of those franchises but it just inflates my roster to ~60 characters (which while awesome just seems like too much). Am I being too OCD? Or does anyone else feel like this?
It is not actually entirely weird, it has always been an arbitrary sentiment construed by the community that we were only allowed a certain amount of representatives per series. If you just speculate characters based on their merits, it should not matter which series they come from.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That, my friend, was one of the first things I noticed. I actually considered Vaati, Impa, Ghirahim, or even Classic Ganon. The reason one is left is due to my inability to pick one of the four over the other characters. Maybe Takamaru, but I might make a change in the near future.
Pick Ghirahim. You have to pick Ghirahim.
I doubt a series will get solely clone newcomers, and I can't see Impa being anything else. Plus, Skyward Sword's getting a lot of attention in this game, it's characters are pretty popular, he hasn't been deconfirmed yet, blah blah blah....

Pick Ghirahim for your roster, I guarantee you won't regret it.

Number2joker

Banned via Warnings
Fire Emblem is a game.

Just like every other series in Smash Bros. A character has never been added that originated outside of a video game.
well i know its a game but they still look like anime charatcres to me

and why do there have to be sooooooooo many????????

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Pick Ghirahim. You have to pick Ghirahim.
I doubt a series will get solely clone newcomers, and I can't see Impa being anything else. Plus, Skyward Sword's getting a lot of attention in this game, it's characters are pretty popular, he hasn't been deconfirmed yet, blah blah blah....

Pick Ghirahim for your roster, I guarantee you won't regret it.
If one were to select a Legend of Zelda representative solely based on the trophy quiz theory, Ghirahim is the most logical by far. He has also been alluded to outside of the theory. I believe that the songs are important during the segment (Id Purpose, Ridley's theme, some song with Palutena's name), this would entail a Skyward Sword representative. Impa would make sense to an extent if it were not for the kept Shiek and newcomer Greninja.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
well i know its a game but they still look like anime charatcres to me

and why do there have to be sooooooooo many????????
The roster isn't made for you. I have really only see you complain while reading through here, it's quite annoying. Sorry.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If one were to select a Legend of Zelda representative solely based on the trophy quiz theory, Ghirahim is the most logical by far. He has also been alluded to outside of the theory. I believe that the songs are important during the segment (Id Purpose, Ridley's theme, some song with Palutena's name), this would entail a Skyward Sword representative. Impa would make sense to an extent if it were not for the kept Shiek and newcomer Greninja.
Also, speaking of music, the rock remix of Ballad of the Goddess has one other song mixed into it.

Ghirahim's theme. :awesome:

Number2joker

Banned via Warnings
A character can't be an anime character unless they are in an anime.

An anime is a Japanese cartoon. Fire Emblem is not one of those, therefore they are far from anime characters.
oh. ok. i believe u.

ok ok ok lets just say then I don't like the way those characters look. They just kinda look out of place imo. I never played fire emblem. never intrested me. I totally judged a book by its cover.

Morbi

Scavenger
I love this roster! Except Dark Pit. I would be really happy with the size and everything, though.
I love this roster BECAUSE of Dark Pit.

Awakening was wildly popular. It was HUGE. You can kinda understand why he added Robin and Lucina. Besides, they look fun to play as!
I have to say that it is slightly unprecedented to add two characters from one game. That is very intriguing and it will certainly change speculation on future titles.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

This is a roster.

This is my roster. Is an okay roster methinks.
Is a perfect roster methinks. Tenouttaten.
Also, speaking of music, the rock remix of Ballad of the Goddess has one other song mixed into it.

Ghirahim's theme. :awesome:
I don't want to put a damper on things, but personally I think Ghirahim would have a better chance had his theme been added separately. Like Id~ Purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom