• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Precisely.

Though considering Sakurai only had Lucas' sprites to go by (unless the artist for Mother 3 provided him a rough sketch), I think he did a good job turning
this:

to this:
Not to make it sound like any less of a feat, but all the characters in the game, even if it's sprites, probably had concept art made early in development. It would be difficult to craft a sprite from scratch without a drawing.
I'm sure Sakurai could easily have gotten access to the concept art. :p

D

Deleted member

Not to make it sound like any less of a feat, but all the characters in the game, even if it's sprites, probably had concept art made early in development. It would be difficult to craft a sprite from scratch without a drawing.
I'm sure Sakurai could easily have gotten access to the concept art. :p
Good point.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
What was meant by my previous statement was that Sakurai contradicts himself rather often. Be it the Pacman contradiction, the villager contradiction or the clone contradiction. The man changes his mind. I'm not sure what statement of his you were referring too in the previous post but Sakurai may have made said statement before he enlisted help from Namco. Who knows?
Yes, and what I meant was that even if he has seemingly contradicted himself at times, that does not necessarily nullify the validity of everything he has said.

And I am referring to statements he has made concerning roster size, balancing, and most recently reaching the end of newcomer videos (and I know that no more videos does not necessarily mean no more newcomers, I am just drawing the conclusion, based on all his statements related to the roster, that we probably are not going to be seeing 5 to 8 more newcomers, hence 50 characters or less)

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I should hope so, because that'd mean that we are denying Sakurai a basic human right to just change his mind about things. But if you say "Pacman contradiction" you'd have to include a "Villager and Mii contradiction" too.

EDIT away
I admitted I was wrong about PAC but then Villager was indeed a contradiction. He once flat out said that he wouldn't include an animal crossing rep in an interview.

D

Deleted member

Xenorange did include "Villager contradiction".

:4greninja:'d.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Yes, and what I meant was that even if he has seemingly contradicted himself at times, that does not necessarily nullify the validity of everything he has said.

And I am referring to statements he has made concerning roster size, balancing, and most recently reaching the end of newcomer videos (and I know that no more videos does not necessarily mean no more newcomers, I am just drawing the conclusion, based on all his statements related to the roster, that we probably are not going to be seeing 5 to 8 more newcomers, hence 50 characters or less)
I dunno man with the inclusion of Lucina it just really seems like he's trying to make this roster as big as he possibly can. He could have VERY easily not included her and people would still have been very hyped by Robin's announcement.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I dunno man with the inclusion of Lucina it just really seems like he's trying to make this roster as big as he possibly can. He could have VERY easily not included her and people would still have been very hyped by Robin's announcement.
And that is a perfectly reasonable speculation, but I could in the same sense speculate things like, maybe he just liked her, or maybe she was included cuz some dude in marketing projected better sales with her inclusion.. who knows really, her inclusion showing he is striving for a big roster is one of many possibilities.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Gotta say, even though I was a Chrom supporter, I am completely fine with how things turned out.

Although, based on Lucina being in the game, I think we're looking at a larger roster than we thought. Not HUGE persay, but there is certainly room for things to happen.

I still think Shulk and Chorus Men are in the game, so yes, I believe the 2nd Gematsu leak. Come at me.

EDIT: Also, does anybody have a roster maker icon for Lucina and Robin in their renders? I would like them. Please and thank you.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Gotta say, even though I was a Chrom supporter, I am completely fine with how things turned out.

Although, based on Lucina being in the game, I think we're looking at a larger roster than we thought. Not HUGE persay, but there is certainly room for things to happen.

I still think Shulk and Chorus Men are in the game, so yes, I believe the 2nd Gematsu leak. Come at me.
But do you believe them to be playable is the real question here

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
But do you believe them to be playable is the real question here
Absolutely.

Although Chrom wasn't playable (and I can't explain that), Shulk and Chorus Men still represent new series and playstyles. There is evidence in Smash Run to suggest Chorus Men are in the game, and if the Mechon Trophy thing is legitimate, then I think Shulk is basically in as well.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman

EDIT: Also, does anybody have a roster maker icon for Lucina and Robin in their renders? I would like them. Please and thank you.
I'll stand by you.

Think the roster leak, was early information. Been saying it the whole time.
How it was outlined indicates that much.

At its base, it's relatively accurate.

Still think we are getting Shulk.
Will probably get a Heaven Character, just maybe not chorusmen.

Lucas could still be cut.

Think we are looking at 50 tops roster. Think people are going to be disappointed if they think otherwise.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'd like to talk about a character

I want these guys in Smash all the way. Definitely not on the disc.

But if they become a really popular request after Smash and Splatoon come out, what are the chances of them being a DLC character?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I'd like to talk about a character

I want these guys in Smash all the way. Definitely not on the disc.

But if they become a really popular request after Smash and Splatoon come out, what are the chances of them being a DLC character?
Smash definitely is about movement. The environments have more freedom than most other traditional fighters. Wall-jumps, clings, glides, rolls, crawls, horizontal and vertical propulsion, edge clings, edge recoveries plus character unique movements such as floating, grab-based movements, vehicles, ect.

Splatoon with its squid swimming technique would fit in and complement the style of Smash. If there are full on unique DLC's than Splatoon would be an excellent choice and a great Wii U representative.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been following this thread so please forgive me if this already been posted or if this even the right place to post it.

There's this...

http://media.tumblr.com/f66d46bb975ef6fd152303c0b01c9873/tumblr_inline_n8rq4w0tky1s2c7j8.png

...which is whatever. But there's a guy running around on GameFAQs who called the Lucina instead of Chrom thing and made a number of other predictions.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69647375

So... yeah. Might be something to it, might not.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Smash definitely is about movement. The environments have more freedom than most other traditional fighters. Wall-jumps, clings, glides, rolls, crawls, horizontal and vertical propulsion, edge clings, edge recoveries plus character unique movements such as floating, grab-based movements, vehicles, ect.

Splatoon with its squid swimming technique would fit in and complement the style of Smash. If there are full on unique DLC's than Splatoon would be an excellent choice and a great Wii U representative.
I agree wholeheartedly.

If the ink mechanics in the game could be implemented they would be perfect.
Like, for example, they cover an area with ink, allows them to move in squidform, and they can perform attacks out of the ink.

Niala

Smash Ace
I realize they've done this before with Roy, and to a certain extent with Greninja, but I'd personally prefer they didn't add a Splatoon character, just because the games aren't even out yet. In fact, it won't be out until after the WiiU release, assuming they stick to their guns. I'm not sure if I have an objective reason, it's more the "it just doesn't sit right with me" feeling.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Splatoon

B Ink: Shoots ink blobs. A coated level can than be used to travel in when in squid form. A coated opponent would be likely to trip if running at full speed or quickly turning.

Last edited:

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
I don't see Inklings happening, but if they become a big-time franchise the next 7 years, they might be considered for SSB5.
I agree and from the looks of treehouse during e3 nintendo pushed it a lot but there was barely anyone at the place to play it. I don't think it's gonna do that well

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
I know everyone has a problem with them but I am all about clone-characters. The more characters the better in my opinion and like I've said before, now with customizations it's like they aren't even clones anymore. I would be happy if each character had a clone.

DIDDY kong - Dixie kong
Peach - daisy
Pikachu - pichu
Mario - paper mario.

Etc. I do to care for any of those characters but they are so similar that it wouldn't bother me whatsoever if this happened. Of course that would make for a huge roster at this point which isn't happening but.. I stand by clones for sure. They've been in every smash game it's just a part of it now so oh well.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I haven't been following this thread so please forgive me if this already been posted or if this even the right place to post it.

There's this...

http://media.tumblr.com/f66d46bb975ef6fd152303c0b01c9873/tumblr_inline_n8rq4w0tky1s2c7j8.png

...which is whatever. But there's a guy running around on GameFAQs who called the Lucina instead of Chrom thing and made a number of other predictions.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69647375

So... yeah. Might be something to it, might not.
I haven't seen the first one, but the second one has been posted. Do you have a link to where the first one was posted?

They contradict each other as far as the number of characters go...

Xenorange

Smash Lord
And that is a perfectly reasonable speculation, but I could in the same sense speculate things like, maybe he just liked her, or maybe she was included cuz some dude in marketing projected better sales with her inclusion.. who knows really, her inclusion showing he is striving for a big roster is one of many possibilities.
All are reasonable possibilities. I think it will be bigger, you think it will be smaller. Let's agree to disagree.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
One reason to do a very simple clone is to make an easier-to-use version of a character with just a small tweak.

Marth losing his specific sweetspot for a more versatile yet less user-intensive sword in the hands of Lucina.

Maybe Daisy being a Peach clone, but losing the float in order to gain better jumps would be another example.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I know everyone has a problem with them but I am all about clone-characters. The more characters the better in my opinion and like I've said before, now with customizations it's like they aren't even clones anymore. I would be happy if each character had a clone.

DIDDY kong - Dixie kong
Peach - daisy
Pikachu - pichu
Mario - paper mario.

Etc. I do to care for any of those characters but they are so similar that it wouldn't bother me whatsoever if this happened. Of course that would make for a huge roster at this point which isn't happening but.. I stand by clones for sure. They've been in every smash game it's just a part of it now so oh well.
Mario clone would be better with dr mario simply because I just don't find Paper Mario worth for dev time as one. Tough, if they do dr mario without direct clone, it would be ok but I just tend to see him as a clone. That's just me tough.

In fact, I'll be honest for me I'll be better have 5 rep than 5 + Paper Mario as a clone. It just... doesn't feel natural but anyway.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I agree and from the looks of treehouse during e3 nintendo pushed it a lot but there was barely anyone at the place to play it. I don't think it's gonna do that well
I heard quite differently. Apparently the lines were incredibly packed and people had to wait quite awhile. But they didn't care because they loved to play it.

I think it will do quite well and will become a playable character in smash 5 if not dlc for smash 4.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So it seems that Michel Ancel (creator of Rayman) did kind of tease Rayman being in Smash before:

http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2013/07/27/interview-director-michel-ancel-talks-rayman-legends

At the very end of the interview:

GZ: This is probably the most important question I have to ask: Can Rayman kick Mario's ass?

MA: Uh, maybe we'll have the answer very soon. (laughs)
It's also worth noting that in a developer Twitch Q&A about Rayman Legends, Michel Ancel was asked about what he'd think about Rayman in Smash - he said he'd love to see it, and if fans pushed for it, he'd join them.

It's not much, but I can't think of anything else "we'll have the answer very soon" could be referring to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom