• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So who here is still in utter shock of what all happened today? I literally started convulsing after the live trailer, and now, I can't stop rewatching it. This trailer is so damn exciting! Rayman Trophy yesterday, Chrom deconfirmed, Robin & Lucina confirmed, Cpt. Falcon confirmed, and Gematsu finally wrong.... I am still just shocked....

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
today was such a weird day; I don't know what expect anymore; I'm just cheering for some of my personal wishes (little details) being true somehow, at least. :\/

~ some new voice clips for the veterans, at least. ~_~

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Considering that the game sold out in North America, I'd say it more than met their expectations for its success.
That was more due to the very, very limited production of the game there. It was Gamestop exclusive, as well.

That's how low NOA's expectations were for the game. But hey, it was actually met, and there's even a big demand for the game, so it's a success.
Marshal is in as a Heaven Rep. Next to Wario bc Random.
A RH rep next to Wario in the select screen makes perfect sense, and not because "random". =P

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Howdy, came in to drop my list and hear people's thoughts on it. The characters all the way at the bottom are characters that I want in the game but not enough to the point where I would be sad if they didn't make it in. Lucas is the only exception to this rule but I don't see him being in... In this roster, I'm going under the theory that Marth and Lucina share a slot. If I get proven otherwise, I will change it immediately. Sorry if people don't agree with me on the Marth/Lucina thing, I have my reasons for my suspicions.

Sceptile would be fantastic, he's a fan favorite and he is also a grass type. I can see him being a very unique character with some sort of Solar Beam mechanic, similar to Ivysaur in P:M.
Isaac is one of the most requested characters and I agree, we need more representation and him being set as an assist trophy will always be a crime to me.
Chorus Men and Shulk are both Gematsu Leak characters that I feel have a strong chance even if the Gematsu Leak was debunked.

Down here we have Andy, a character who would bring something new to the table for sure with an engineer type gameplay.
Ray, a character who would stay in the air at all times, barraging from all sides and being generally fast. He would be like Mega Man but more mobile and aerial.
Mewtwo, a fan favorite and Melee's greatest cut character. Mega Mewtwo X/Y for the Final Smash.
King K. Rool and Ridley, both are great villains to their respective series and I feel they need to bring more villains in.
Paper Mario is a character I would absolutely adore for so many reasons. I can see an event match where GAW and PM duke it out.
Lucas is dear to my heart, but I just can't see him coming back.
Bomberman would be awesome to play, lay bombs down, kick them somewhere, make the arena your *****. Stage control to a whole new level.
I wish Impa had replaced Sheik, really I do. Maybe have an Impa costume for Sheik if Lucina is a costume for Marth?
Ravio would use all of his items and no sword. Maybe even use that big bag he lugs around for awesome Smashes.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I think the real nail in the coffin is that Sakurai has stated multiple times that the roster was decided at the very beginning of development. He even had bloody Greninja decided with nothing but concept art to work on. Yet Sal's source gave us a vague "X/Y Pokemon," and now he's just outright wrong about Chrom, while also being wrong about Shulk being revealed today.

The tables have really turned, before now, the Sal believers threw out that anyone who tried to disprove the leak was just making excuses and grasping at straws, and now the believers are the ones making excuses as to how the leak messed up. I'm not trying to point any fingers at anyone or anything of the sort, it's just an incredibly bittersweet irony.

As others have said, it's pointless now to dispute the legitimacy of the leak, it's entirely likely that he did have some info, but then threw in Chrom and Shulk's supposed reveal today for whatever reason. I still believe that Shulk is going to be in, as he's a character I've speculated before the leak, but I'm going to be skeptical of the Chorus Men, Sneaky Spirit or not.

In any case, there's no denying Sakurai knows what's going on and he's trolling hard. "I suppose I'll get my chance... another day."

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
If you go on the mobile version of the site, Lucina has a bigger box like the rest of the newcomers... hmm.

Also, I'm pretty sure we saw the FD version of the Coliseum.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
After Sal's leaker got a huge blow, now a lot of people are getting their hopes way too high with a lot of unlikely inclusions. The endless cycle of confirmation bias and annoying favoritism continues.
There are not too many newcomers left as Sakurai himself said. There's surely more disappointment for them to follow.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The beginning is aimed moreso at Japanese FE fans who prefered Lucina, as he knew there was backlash when Japanese fans figured out about the Gematsu leak having Chrom and not Lucina. Fortunately for them and those who preferred other characters, Chrom seems to have been scrapped mid-development, hence his finished model imo, and Robin and Lucina got the spot.
Japanese reactions of the Gematsu leak?

Source?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think the real nail in the coffin is that Sakurai has stated multiple times that the roster was decided at the very beginning of development. He even had bloody Greninja decided with nothing but concept art to work on. Yet Sal's source gave us a vague "X/Y Pokemon," and now he's just outright wrong about Chrom, while also being wrong about Shulk being revealed today.
Don't forget Sakurai said it himself the he put down "X/Y Pokemon" initially. We DON'T know when he got the concept art, but negotiations for such a thing had to have happened, which takes time.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
As much as I hate to admit it, Gematsu isn't totally dead yet. However, this did prove as much as I always intended to. I thought, no, still think, his info was legitimate, but not all of it was necessarily so. This is exactly what was needed to convey that point to everyone. No matter how accurate it`s been so far, we must keep in mind that the Gematsu leak is still human.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
This is probably not the post you were looking for, but I agree with you.
There is nothing Lucina brings to the table that it hasn't been covered by someone else from the F.E. cast.
Gameplay: Marth
Female: Robin alt.costume
Awakening rep: Robin

I too remember when Sakurai said he was focusing on unique MOVESETS. That, and new franchises.
Well Fire Emblem is neither new, and Lucina is certainly not unique. So my biggest question marks from the roster focus on her.

That said, my consolation is that she probably didn't take long to make anyway.
And in the end... I'm just sick of how overrated Fire Emblem is. I'm sorry to the fans, the franchise is pretty cool, I've played it and loved it... But this is getting a tad ridiculous now. There are other franchises out there... Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Custom Robo, Sin & Punishment (AT for a 2nd time, mind you), who deserve at least ONE character.

:4falcon: but this guy's back, and looking better than ever. This made me happy. Especially the way he kicked :4lucina: all around the place. (Although a bit too villain-like if you ask me)
Yeah, Falcon was the hypest thing of that trailer. That manly grin. It wasn't of villainy, it was of justice. Also, I'm very glad they went with Robin. He was always the most logical choice IMO.

As for Lucina, I hope she proves me wrong. Even though there's so little footage of her, I recognize those animations anywhere. It's not looking too good for her.

I like Fire Emblem, but it's not the strongest franchise when it comes to main characters (they are all reaaaally generic most of the time) so I can understand other's frustration that Fire Emblem now has 4 characters. However, I surprisingly don't have much of a problem with it (for now, anyway). After all, how many characters a franchise "deserves" is often arbitrary subjective reasoning that everyone in this thread (including myself) is guilty of.

But I still assert that Robin was a fantastic choice. Lucina? Not so much, from the looks of things. But we'll see. Maybe interesting stuff will be shown in PoTDs and such.

I really wish we can get official word that Chrom was planned at the beginning but was demoted during the middle of development, because that might clarify some of this confusion.
Indeed. Even with some possible hindsight bias, Chrom was always the most likely choice IMO. I'm surprised he didn't get in. I have no rationale basis for this, but I'm sure Chrom was looked at as a possible newcomer, which could explain Gematsu.

I know many are asserting that Gematsu is "outdated" and that some information can be wrong on it (not all leaks have always correct information), but it doesn't change the end result: his source claimed Shulk, Shulk did not show up. He claimed Chrom will be playable, yet Chrom's status as playable is now in limbo (since he's in Robin's Final Smash) and unlikely (though admittedly not impossible). He may still have legit info (8/11 characters is still a strong record regardless), but he's still not completely trustworthy now. I'll be keeping a cautious eye on him (like Foul Mouth dude) but he's no longer as likely to be as legit now.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Source?
There weren't any. That was a mistake.

The Japanese THANKED Sakurai from what I read. No backlash, and no mention of the leak either.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I think there's too much evidence for Ridley at this point to assume we're getting below 50 characters. Lucina confirms to be that there will be a lot of characters. Especiallt since she was revealed now. Doesn't she seem the kind of unlockable character that would have been kept secret up until launch?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

Source?
Check mentions of his Twitter around the dates of April 8th and June 11th. That's what I saw. It's not based on hate, moreso the fact that Chrom > Lucina.

I'd assume the Japanese aren't big on Chrom then?
They much prefer Lucina and Robin.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Here's my following predictions for each new character from this point forward:

Ghirahim: Not sure how his trailer would fare, but I recon it will involve Link, Zelda, and possibly Ganondorf.
Ridley: A trailer that will also feature Falco and Meta Knight fighting boss Ridley.
Jigglypuff: Pic of the Day post-launch as secret character. Might pop up in a quick little Mewtwo trailer.
Ness: Pic of the Day next week.
Lucas: If he's in, Pic of the Day post-launch as secret character.
Shulk: Will be confirmed in a good vs. evil-based trailer confirming King K. Rool, Ganondorf, Dark Pit, Wolf, Mewtwo, and an army of R.O.B.'s--all as secret characters.
Ice Climbers: Pic of the Day post-launch.
Chorus Kids: Their trailer will confirm Wario and Mr. Game & Watch as secret characters in a trailer based on their games.
Rayman: If he is playable, it will probably even involve Snake if he too is playable. May confirm King K. Rool as well.

Also, I find it rather amusing that the gematsu leak's one last shot at redemption all hinges on whether or not the Foul-Mouthed Leak is in fact, real.

Now chances of veterans with most evidence in their favor:
1. Mr. Game & Watch: Teased in the Pac-Man trailer, and found on the white board drawing posted by Sakurai.
2. Wario: Waluigi and Ashley are both AT with the Wario symbol on them, and white board drawing above.
3. Meta Knight: White board drawing above, and Halberd is a returning stage.
4. Ness: Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge are items, and Sakurai plans on bringing back original 12.
5. Ice Climbers: Sakurai commented on them, and the polar bear is an enemy on Smash Run.
6. Jigglypuff: Sakurai plans on bringing back original 12.
7. Ganondorf: Gerudo Valley is a stage on 3DS; it's significant to the character, so there you go.
8. Lucas: Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge are items.
9. Falco/Wolf: So far, nothing. Not even a stage provides concrete evidence of their involvement.
10.Snake: This may be grasping straws, but if Rayman has a trophy....

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think there's too much evidence for Ridley at this point to assume we're getting below 50 characters. Lucina confirms to be that there will be a lot of characters. Especiallt since she was revealed now. Doesn't she seem the kind of unlockable character that would have been kept secret up until launch?
Didn't Melee revealed both starters and unlockables before launch? Maybe this is what Sakurai is doing to hype the fans a little bit. I'm willing to bet both Lucina and Robin will be unlockables while Marth joins Ike in the starting roster this time

D

Deleted member

This game is giving a massive middle finger to tradition regarding starter/hidden characters.

And I'm okay with that.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Don't forget Sakurai said it himself the he put down "X/Y Pokemon" initially. We DON'T know when he got the concept art, but negotiations for such a thing had to have happened, which takes time.
Again, I'm not trying to discredit the leak, mostly just smoothing out the fact that I'll be incredibly satisfied if the Chorus Men stay the hell away from Smash, which is the only thing I care about in regards to the leak. I had already suspected that there were more characters outside of those in the leak, so there's nothing to gain there, and Robin just helps even more.

Really the only glaring mistake is Chrom, which is a huge thing for the leaker to screw up on.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Now that my Robin hype is passing a little, i can say that this is probably the best model for Captain Falcon yet, he seems more expressive, and dat Falcon crest.

Shroob

Sup?
Again, I'm not trying to discredit the leak, mostly just smoothing out the fact that I'll be incredibly satisfied if the Chorus Men stay the hell away from Smash, which is the only thing I care about in regards to the leak. I had already suspected that there were more characters outside of those in the leak, so there's nothing to gain there, and Robin just helps even more.

Really the only glaring mistake is Chrom, which is a huge thing for the leaker to screw up on.
The fact that Sneaky Spirits exist will mean Chorus Men will have support until they either:

A: Get revealed

or

B: Get de-confirmed

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Alrighty, here's my new roster!
Final.png

Dixie can be interchangeable with King K. Rool. Pick whoever you want. I just like Dixie more. Other than that, here's mah roster for now (until I am proven wrong yet again).

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The fact that Sneaky Spirits exist will mean Chorus Men will have support until they either:

A: Get revealed

or

B: Get de-confirmed
I don't see how a random enemy in Smash Run somehow confirms them, as I've said before, with that logic then Rayman's trophy means a UbiSoft character is going to be playable. Why wouldn't Sakurai throw in enemies from unrepped series, just like he does with items, stages, assist trophies, etc. Everyone makes an exception for an enemy, yet Lip isn't playable because of an item.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't see how a random enemy in Smash Run somehow confirms them, as I've said before, with that logic then Rayman's trophy means a UbiSoft character is going to be playable. Why wouldn't Sakurai throw in enemies from unrepped series, just like he does with items, stages, assist trophies, etc. Everyone makes an exception for an enemy, yet Lip isn't playable because of an item.
Because so far, Rhythm Heaven is the ONLY series in Smash run without a character attached to it, Subspace enemies notwithstanding, and the Polar Bear obviously meaning Ice Climbers.

Things could change with time, but with the current information we have, they are the only outliers.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Here's my roster as of today, and it will probably change next reveal haha. I still find Shulk pretty likely. I think King K. Rool and Dixie Kong are also pretty likely, but I left them out for the sake of keeping it at 50 like this.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Wooo! I was right... I guess...? Since this isn't just an outlier, but this blows a shotgun blast right through Gematsu's heart!

Annnnnd that possibility actually happened, and I'm both giddy as all hell (grabbing that popcorn, I need to read this thread responses after I'm done this post) and somewhat salty (which I will get into later).

Sal Romano, as someone who thought your leak was likely, you ****ed up hard. Doesn't matter if you had legit info, you are no longer trustworthy. Missing Shulk reveal and Chrom is a pretty damning. I guess this is a lesson for leakers to keep their mouths shut and never give specific dates.

And Thank God that Robin is in here. Robin may have been overrated, but I always felt he/she was the ideal choice since he not only had the most potential but also the character that could finally showcase besides Fire Emblem sword users. So glad he has magic! Sakurai, you did good here, and I must give credit. He may actually be "unique!"

-------------------------

Now, time for me to equip my Gravity Suit. Time to be the debbie downer. Come at me with the flames.

After months and months of people shouting "but every character is going to be unique! You'll learn to love them!!!", I'm starting to get a bit frustrated. I must give credit where credit is due: Megaman, Rosalina (even though I disagree with her inclusion), and Little Mac seem to offer more variety in playstyles of Smash bros.

But then there's Wii Fit Trainer, Miis, and Palutena, whom all make me hella salty. "But they'll be unique!" they said. Yet all I see is either derivative movesets slapped on a character without rhyme or reason, or a bland playstyle who's only existence is just to squeeze in some "lol Yoga jokes" (man, I remember the days when I used to defend WFT. Those were simpler times).

And now Lucina. Goddammit Lucina. If you were going to go through all that trouble just make a clone of Marth, you might of well have just brought Roy back. It's bad when I first saw her I was like "wow, maybe Chrom supporters were right: he may have had more to work with as a fighter." Yeah, didn't think the day would come when I would be salty that Chrom got shafted (potentially) for Lucina. Thank God for Robin and Falcon to disperse my anger (In :4falcon: We Trust). Remember when Sakurai said that he was looking at characters whom would bring something new to the table? Yeah, I remember as well.

Sorry, but I really hope Lucina has more to her besides "Muh Femalez". Otherwise, she seems to be a waste. Project M Roy looks to be more unique then her :glare: (My salt is so real right now)

Now, time to read the forums. This should be good. :denzel:
Agreed. Why the heck did sakurai add lucina over chrom, just to make her a marth clone? And I'm kind sick of all this chrom hate. "well at least she's a blue haired swordswoman and not a swordsman" Bullcrap. How do you go against chrom for POSSIBLY being a clone, but support lucina over him even when revealed to be, guess what? A clone.
Still love robin though :b:

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Because so far, Rhythm Heaven is the ONLY series in Smash run without a character attached to it, Subspace enemies notwithstanding, and the Polar Bear obviously meaning Ice Climbers.

Things could change with time, but with the current information we have, they are the only outliers.
Because we obviously know every enemy that appears in Smash Run. Yes, with the current information we have, but its just a random enemy, there was no big statement from Sakurai, they were only spotted in an unfinished demo. If a duck from Duck Hunt showed up, would that suddenly make Duck Hunt Dog 99% confirmed? A lot of supporters would get hope, but no one would be going around calling him confirmed unless he just so happened to be leaked by little old Sal Romano's tipster.

Look, I'm not trying to start anything against fans of the Chorus Men, I'm perfectly fine with people supporting them. It's just my personal opinion that I dislike them and don't want to see them, and I'm going to predict as such now that Gematsu isn't 100% true. It's just a bit irksome that people are still using a random enemy as proof that they're going to be there. I think that if Animal Crossing can get an entire stage with no playable rep in Brawl, then it means absolutely nothing for an enemy to show up with none.

Shroob

Sup?
Because we obviously know every enemy that appears in Smash Run. Yes, with the current information we have, but its just a random enemy, there was no big statement from Sakurai, they were only spotted in an unfinished demo. If a duck from Duck Hunt showed up, would that suddenly make Duck Hunt Dog 99% confirmed? A lot of supporters would get hope, but no one would be going around calling him confirmed unless he just so happened to be leaked by little old Sal Romano's tipster.

Look, I'm not trying to start anything against fans of the Chorus Men, I'm perfectly fine with people supporting them. It's just my personal opinion that I dislike them and don't want to see them, and I'm going to predict as such now that Gematsu isn't 100% true. It's just a bit irksome that people are still using a random enemy as proof that they're going to be there. I think that if Animal Crossing can get an entire stage with no playable rep in Brawl, then it means absolutely nothing for an enemy to show up with none.
And until we get more information, it's what we have to go on. Logically speaking, it only makes sense that until more information is known, that we can believe all we want. We're not the Chrom fanbase who got a one-two suckerpunch today.

Sorry Chrom fans...

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
And until we get more information, it's what we have to go on. Logically speaking, it only makes sense that until more information is known, that we can believe all we want. We're not the Chrom fanbase who got a one-two suckerpunch today.
Sorry Chrom fans...
It hurts so bad
Well I still have my main man Pac-Man so I'm fine :)

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
The only reason I think Lucina is gonna be on the same sot as marth is the taunt at the end of the video, where she touches her forhead or whatever that is, that's a marth taunt. Clones with their own spot have always at least had unique taunts,
If you go on the mobile version of the site Super Smash Bro, Lucina has a bigger box like the rest of the newcomers.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Sorry Chrom fans...
Which is exactly why I don't get why people are still trying to shove the Chorus Men down our throats because of a simple enemy even after the busted leak. By all means, continue to support them, but that doesn't mean that everyone should.

I do understand that a lot of people jumped ship as they only believed in them because of the leak, and the real supporters must be losing hope and really trying to hold on and I sympathize with that. I'm just letting it be clear with the most respect possible that I've hated the idea of the Chorus Men since the moment they popped up on the leak, as I would assume the major reason you guys keep going on about the enemy is that you're just trying to get supporters back, and I wish all of you the best of luck, in that regard.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Which is exactly why I don't get why people are still trying to shove the Chorus Men down our throats because of a simple enemy even after the busted leak. By all means, continue to support them, but that doesn't mean that everyone should.
Who is doing that?
I do understand that a lot of people jumped ship as they only believed in them because of the leak, and the real supporters must be losing hope and really trying to hold on and I sympathize with that.
Not at all actually. And it's not just because of the enemy.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Here's my roster as of today, and it will probably change next reveal haha. I still find Shulk pretty likely. I think King K. Rool and Dixie Kong are also pretty likely, but I left them out for the sake of keeping it at 50 like this.

I would ask why are there 5 Mario characters until I realized that the slightly less than huge Fire Emblem managed to have 4 characters out of nowhere. No argument there.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Let's say that we could get a couple more "Lucinas". Cloney-like characters. Who do you think is possible?
Be realistic.

I can only think of one.

Dixie with Diddy's moves, maybe a few changes.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom