• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Why are some people assuming that if a leak has one or two incorrect points, it is automatically debunked and false? If you hung around during the Pokemon X/Y leaks, you'd know that isn't the case.

Not saying you have to trust the gematsu leak at all. Believe what you want to believe. But I wouldn't disregard just yet, seeing how it still predicted quite a few characters.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Who is doing that?

Not at all actually. And it's not just because of the enemy.
Every time I mention the leak being inaccurate, and in turn bring up that I no longer believe the Chorus Men will be playable, someone says "But the Sneaky Spirit!" *in some manner, anyway.

I'm sure that a few people have mentioned that the Chorus Men have lost a lot of support as a result of today's reveals. In any case, there weren't many supporters of them before the leak, so it is probable that the large majority of them jumped on because of the leak and at least a substantial portion would jump off if the leak took any kind of hit. The bandwagoners and such.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Let's say that we could get a couple more "Lucinas". Cloney-like characters. Who do you think is possible?
Be realistic.

I can only think of one.

Dixie with Diddy's moves, maybe a few changes.

Any ideas?
Perhaps Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda and Dark Pit seem to be the only potential semi-clones I can currently think of maybe. The former two where already planned for Brawl and the latter one if Sakurai feels he deserves more than just an alt for any reason so yah...

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
If you go on the mobile version of the site Super Smash Bro, Lucina has a bigger box like the rest of the newcomers.
I'm aware of that, but I still have a teensy bit of faith in the Alex/Joe Kuma/Panda theory. They just use that box because she's not a veteran and it would be silly to create a medium sized box for an alt skin.

I'm not saying I'm right, or that anyone's wrong, I'm just saying its possible and we don't know either way

Last edited by a moderator:

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Now that my thirst for Captain Falcon being in SSB4 has been sated...
I... think...
Maybe I'd like to see if Wario Could be in a second time?

domokl

Smash Lord
also the sneaky spirt is not the only enemy without a character as you can fight find mii ghosts in smash run too.

Espio264

Smash Ace
So I've watched the video again for the umpteenth time, and I gotta say I kinda love how sinister Captain Falcon seems to be. Put him on the villains trailer!

Also, I've been struggling to really wanna latch onto one of the newcomers so far, but I've completely fallen for Girl Robin. It seems like a logical progression after maining Ike out of nowhere in Brawl.

Rayman. Evil Falcon. Chicks. It's been a good day.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Let's say that we could get a couple more "Lucinas". Cloney-like characters. Who do you think is possible?
Be realistic.

I can only think of one.

Dixie with Diddy's moves, maybe a few changes.

Any ideas?
:falco::ganondorf:

Seriously though, if Lucina is gonna be a clone of Marth, then I really hope :falco: makes it back in.

Last edited:

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
newroster.png

It feels good to have Lucas back on my roster :). Rhythm Wrestler can be Chorus Men/ whatever rhythm heaven character you like. I only put wrestler because Chorus Men didn't have an icon in roster maker. I'm unsure about Snake and Vaati making it and they can easily be replaced by Isaac, Dee, Ghirahim or Dixie Kong.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
View attachment 18239
It feels good to have Lucas back on my roster :). Rhythm Wrestler can be Chorus Men/ whatever rhythm heaven character you like. I only put wrestler because Chorus Men didn't have an icon in roster maker. I'm unsure about Snake and Vaati making it and they can easily be replaced by Isaac, Dee, Ghirahim or Dixie Kong.
It has Snake, Vaati, and Mewtwo in it. 100000000/10 from me. :awesome:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well no more long FE discussions after the reveal today. This may sound optimistic but I think we are in for a large roster, 50ish. We still have some more reveals coming I believe plus the unlockables.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I could see Dark Pit, Black Shadow, Impa, and Dixie Kong all being clone characters. I could unfortunately also see Ganondorf retaining something similar to his Brawl moveset although oh LORD I hope not. I fondly recall having the somewhat off kilter idea that K.Rool could take his boxing form as the final boss of DK64, and be an insanely slow, super-powered version of Little Mac with different aerials. Could be fun.

... Please, if you have to hurt someone, hurt me. Leave my family out of it.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'm not so sure that the Getmatsu leaks are totally dead. While they were wrong about Chrom and mispredicted Shulk today, they still managed to get literally everyone else, correctly named "Mii Fighter" and there are still Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run. I still think it's feasible we'll be seeing Shulk and the Chrous Men. And Sakurai's comment about nearing the end of the newcomer trailers makes me nervous...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So anyone else kinda worried about the Rayman trophy?

Thanks to that, a ton of people will be clamoring for him in Smash 5. But I fear something far worse is to be revealed...
upload_2014-7-14_21-49-50.jpeg

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
It's really awesome to see people's rosters go above 48 and actually have some variation now. Today's trailer opened up the door to many possible characters that weren't part of the sacred word of gematsu. :)

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
If the Gematsu leak is true, then the guy has very limited information. I imagine he saw the developers working on Chrom's model and assumed he was playable. This makes me think that the Chorus Kids as a stage hazard or Assist Trophy could be pretty likely.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Time for Bull**** Speculation time! :D

For those who still believe in the Sal leak, you will notice that we have 2 characters left. You know what else has two characters left? The original 12! :D

Whats interesting to note is that we can actually group the remaining newcomers and the remaining original 12.

So in the first group we have Shulk & Ness. What I like to call the (RPGs with niche fanbases/RPGs that have trouble localizing/Boys with Psychic powers) group.

Then in the second group we have Jigglypuff and Chrous kids. They both sing. :p

Not to mention the trailers could actually prove very interesting. (See Ness in Xenoblade art style and Jigglypuff in Rhythm Heaven art style).

Plus, the trailers just write themselves. The Rhythm heaven one is potential comedy gold. :D

The only big wrench in this idea is that Captain Falcon really doesn't have a group with Fire Emblem, (and Sal's outdated information), but still it would be interesting.

Edit: And also patterns have been proven to be not real.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
If the Gematsu leak is true, then the guy has very limited information. I imagine he saw the developers working on Chrom's model and assumed he was playable. This makes me think that the Chorus Kids as a stage hazard or Assist Trophy could be pretty likely.
A far more likely scenario: Chrom was planned very early on, but was changed to Robin for the sake of Uniqueness.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Time for Bull**** Speculation time! :D

For those who still believe in the Sal leak, you will notice that we have 2 characters left. You know what else has two characters left? The original 12! :D

Whats interesting to note is that we can actually group the remaining newcomers and the remaining original 12.

So in the first group we have Shulk & Ness. What I like to call the (RPGs with niche fanbases/RPGs that have trouble localizing/Boys with Psychic powers) group.

Then in the second group we have Jigglypuff and Chrous kids. They both sing. :p

Not to mention the trailers could actually prove very interesting. (See Ness in Xenoblade art style and Jigglypuff in Rhythm Heaven art style).

Plus, the trailers just write themselves. The Rhythm heaven one is potential comedy gold. :D

The only big wrench in this idea is that Captain Falcon really doesn't have a group with Fire Emblem, (and Sal's outdated information), but still it would be interesting.
I WAS JUST NINJA'D SO FLIPPIING HARD. AAAAAAAARGGGGGGGG

In other news:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Is it finally time?
Are we really back to the roster posting days again?
Seeing the inclusion of Andy and Ridley was about to make me sing your rosters praises.
Then I realised you excluded Mewtwo.
EDIT: Why Karate Joe? Chorus Kids are a far better rep for the series in my view.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm still going by my roster being the most likely, give and take a Mewtwo/Sceptile.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
It is my opinion that Advance Wars is the most heinously under-represented series in smash.
Anyone care to weigh in?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
It is my opinion that Advance Wars is the most heinously under-represented series in smash.
Anyone care to weigh in?
Much as I love Advance Wars, I'd say DK is more underrepresented. At least relative to it's success and popularity. Lackluster stages, no Assist Trophies in Brawl, and only two characters.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I'm still going by my roster being the most likely, give and take a Mewtwo/Sceptile.

I still think a RH rep is very likely, and that the Mii fighters will have a separate slot on the roster, toggleable by the customizations on or off.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Much as I love Advance Wars, I'd say DK is more underrepresented. At least relative to it's success and popularity. Lackluster stages, no Assist Trophies in Brawl, and only two characters.
Wars has more games than fire emblem.
It has 1 ASSIST TROPHY.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Not gonna post my roster but moreso a general thoughts on what I think it going to happen with the roster.

I've noticed a couple of trends with the character selection thus far, namely:
- Relevancy appears to matter a lot. All of the Nintendo newcomers have been in Wii, Wii U and 3DS games. This is a strong trend that fits for all 9 of the Nintendo newcomers and I see no signs of it stopping.
- New and unique movesets are a huge part of the character selection process. We saw this with Rosalina getting in over Junior and Toad and we now see it again with Robin and Chrom. Of course the one exception to this is Lucina but I hope we all knew that clones and semi clones were coming. This opens up a lot of possibilities for some characters who can get in under clone status.

As of today, we have 38 characters. We also have a few obvious veterans that we can add to this list, namely:

At least one of Ness/Lucas
Wario
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game and Watch
Meta Knight

That brings the total to 43. In terms of newcomers, I've looked at the games and have come up with this list:
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Cranky Kong)
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Cranky Kong or Dixie Kong)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Shulk)
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Ghirahim or Impa)
Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Paper Mario)
Rhythm Heaven Fever (pretty much anyone)
Super Mario Bros. U (Bowser Jr.)
Pikmin 3 (Louie or Alph)

I excluded games like Super Mario 3D Land on account of lacking any options for remaining newcomers (for example, Toad doesn't work for that games because he's already a move).

Some of these characters (Dixie, Impa, Louie, Alph, Bowser Jr., maybe Paper Mario) could fit in under clone characters. Of these ones, I feel most confident in Dixie, Impa and Bowser Jr. as potential clones.

I'll end with veterans that aren't quite as obvious.
Ganondorf
ROB
Falco
Wolf
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Other Earthbound Kid

If we take the 43 characters, I'd use:
Ganondorf
ROB
Falco
Wolf
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Other Earthbound Kid
Shulk
Rhythm Heaven Character
Dixie
Impa

This would be a roster of 54 (51 slots + random). I'm still trying to figure it out in the roster maker though.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if this has been pointed out, but GameXplain noted that Ike's eruption is blue this time. Good to know it's accurate to the original game this time. Time: 7:45

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
How many characters do you think the roster will have?

I thought 50 was reasonable..and let's remember Sakurai was saying bottom of the barrel for New Comers

54-55?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom