• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Forget Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Anna.

Emmeryn for SSB4!
Going to be an Assist Trophy.

After summoned, roughly a minute later she'll come crashing down, delivering an instant KO to anyone unfortunate enough to be in the way.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Honestly, I don't care which Awakening rep we get as long as we get an Awakening rep.
EDIT: oh hey look 1000 pages

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Honestly, I don't care which Awakening rep we get as long as we get an Awakening rep.
While I would like to see Awakening get some character to represent it, I would prefer someone who can bring something unique to the cast of characters in Smash, and one who can properly represent not only Awakening, but Fire Emblem as a whole.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
While I would like to see Awakening get some character to represent it, I would prefer someone who can bring something unique to the cast of characters in Smash, and one who can properly represent not only Awakening, but Fire Emblem as a whole.
Have faith in Sakurai, I bet everyone will be supporting Chrom after they see how he plays.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Well yeah, I get what you mean. Robin for instance with his/her magic, and Anna who is pretty much in every FE game.
Though I personally still wouldn't mind Chrom.

Hong

The Strongest
EDIT: oh hey look 1000 pages
The thing is, Awakening is the best performing Fire Emblem game, but still not particularly impressive (commercially). Far outdid its expectations and sold "well", but not even top 100.

It's about mini-boss status for Nintendo franchises, now. Marth actually has Naga's insignia on his cape, the very same from Awakening. With Arena Ferox, plus the inevitable Assist Trophy, my Awakening needs are satisfied.

Last edited:

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Given how small Fire Emblem still is, and how focused on uniqueness and competitive play SSB4 has been so far, I'm really hoping it leans towards an obscure but original character.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
I can't stop thinking how incredibly epic it would be to have a Grima final smash. Or Naga (Lucina) :awesome:. This needs to happen.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Here's to another 1,000 pages of Super Smash Bros. character speculation. By then we'll probably only be discussing and debating about possible DLC characters. Time can really fly sometimes. Or it can come to a dead stop preceding the reveal of a new playable character. Only 15 more hours left!

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
One of the speculators I talk to frequently proposed the idea of both games having the same roster, but you could only unlock some characters on one of the games, then transfer them to the other. Thoughts?

Personally, I think it's an awful idea.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
If there are DLC characters, will they be announced one at a time after the game is released?

Won't there be data in the game of them before of them? Because you can't just download a package and update the entire game since its coding is so complex. I'm sure every possible character will be revealed including DLC if it's actually happening once Japan gets it.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I hope that at least one DLC character won't be pre-determined. More than that, I hope there isn't already "DLC" content on the product, which is what Capcom is famous for.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
One of the speculators I talk to frequently proposed the idea of both games having the same roster, but you could only unlock some characters on one of the games, then transfer them to the other. Thoughts?

That is a pretty awful idea. I highly doubt it will happen though. It's already been promised that both rosters will contain the same characters.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
That is a pretty awful idea. I highly doubt it will happen though. It's already been promised that both rosters will contain the same characters.
Yeah, but he's saying that to 'encourage people buy both games', you couldn't complete the roster without having both. It sounds like extortion to me.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Yeah, but he's saying that to 'encourage people buy both games', you couldn't complete the roster without having both. It sounds like extortion to me.
"I don’t have a preference whether they own the Wii U version or the 3DS version or both versions" - Masahiro Sakurai

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace

I don't find that likely at all.
It's giving me Pokemon teas.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
It would be a monstrous thing to do after how well the fans have supported this series. Nintendo would be roundly criticized, and rightfully so.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
"I don’t have a preference whether they own the Wii U version or the 3DS version or both versions" - Masahiro Sakurai
Exactly. His side was that there would be no reason for anyone to buy the 3DS version is they didn't get new characters out of it, but to me the rosters have to be exactly the same or it's like punishing the gamers for not shelling out a bunch of cash.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Exactly. His side was that there would be no reason for anyone to buy the 3DS version is they didn't get new characters out of it, but to me the rosters have to be exactly the same or it's like punishing the gamers for not shelling out a bunch of cash.
But there are reasons. Exclusive maps, that smash run thing, and a portable experience for SSB4. And it's cheaper than the Wii U version. Perfect for kids who don't own a Wii U since most of them have 3DSes.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
But there are reasons. Exclusive maps, that smash run thing, and a portable experience for SSB4. And it's cheaper than the Wii U version. Perfect for kids who don't own a Wii U since most of them have 3DSes.
Yep. But he said none of that really mattered, and for it to be worth it there had to be new characters. As far as I can tell he's the only one that feels that way.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I've seen that idea tossed around before and thought about it. There would be too much backlash towards Nintendo if they did something like that. I just can't see it happening. Not saying it couldn't, but I don't think Nintendo would put themselves in a position where there are bad opinions going around about the game due to a roster that worked like that. They need to sell their home console, and they're really hyping this game up in hopes of doing so. The last thing they want is bad publicity towards the game that they're hoping will make the Wii U sell.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
What if...Amiibos could summon Assist trophies?

What if...Amiibos could summon trained Amiibo fighters as Assist trophies?

What if...Amiibos could unlock trophies?

Dude.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
I've seen that idea tossed around before and thought about it. There would be too much backlash towards Nintendo if they did something like that. I just can't see it happening. Not saying it couldn't, but I don't think Nintendo would put themselves in a position where there are bad opinions going around about the game due to a roster that worked like that. They need to sell their home console, and they're really hyping this game up in hopes of doing so. The last thing they want is bad publicity towards the game that they're hoping will make the Wii U sell.
Yeah. And, y'know, the core of the game is the characters. Stages, items, modes, those are all extras that don't need to be on both versions, but if you're missing characters in one version then it doesn't feel complete.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What if SSB4 is played only by amiibo? It's the ultimate competitive mode, all you do is place bets.
Technically, that is something that can be done now with the amiibo feature. I guess it would sort of be like a Pokemon battle, except you're using Nintendo icons that you've trained up and you have no control over them.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Confirmed. Tomorrow's character will be Mang0, joining as a fighter in smash 4.

should have been a Hungrybox + Jigglypuff dual reveal god dammit

Hong

The Strongest
What if... some Amiibos are the DLC and they actually unlock the DLC characters?

They'll never tie DLC to anything that requires production.

That said, there is no doubt that some amiibos will offer a "free pass" for DLC as an incentive to buy them, as their own thing. Only makes sense from a marketing standpoint.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
So I'm pretty much calling Shulk for tomorrow. Monolith soft conveniently retweeted Sakurai's announcement on Twitter and I think that says enough.

I would love for this video to include multiple newcomers, but I know that'll never happen.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Hooray! 1000 pages! Anyway, What would you guys see as the worst reveal for tomorrow?
A. Three more Mii classes
B. Style Savyist
C. A Ridley deconfirmation
D. The gematsu leak deconfirmed, along with every character on it
This should be fun :)

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Hooray! 1000 pages! Anyway, What would you guys see as the worst reveal for tomorrow?
B. Style Savyist
Tails and Knuckles and Shadow and Eggman and Amy and Big the Cat

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
B. Style Savyist
I would love Option D., except that I would like to see Shulk in.

As for worst option, A. is clearly the victor.
One Mii Fighter was bad enough, and now we have three.

If we got three more, I would buy 10 copies of each version of the new Smash and toss them into a bonfire.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
B. Style Savyist
I'm unfamiliar with Style Savyist, but from the sounds of it, the character would be from a fashion game which could create interesting concepts. I think I would be more annoyed at additional features being given to the Miis, whom I personally feel offer nothing worthwhile to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom