• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I mostly noticed R.O.B. hate on Gamefaqs. And a little here but not as much.
People here were absolutely furious when R.O.B. was leaked for Brawl and did pretty much everything they could to either trash him or deny it. People warmed up to it after the game came out but man... just, man. They were also dumbfounded and denied that the roster was "only 35 characters." It's really silly looking back.

Actually it was really silly then too.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I agree. I would love to see Chrom in Smash. However, I'd really love to see Anna or Lucina. And I'd really really really love to see Robin/Tactician with a male and female alt. :)
Yeah I do agree. I can see how people who haven't played the series see Chrom as 'another blue haired lord', whereas the three in fact have major differences. A female character or magic user would be good too. Robin could have alts like Villager.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Lucina is just like Chrom, plus she's another blue-haired sword user, the only difference is that she's a girl but that means nothing, I really don't care for her being in Smash Bros at all.

Robin, on the other hand...

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If the Gematsu leak is true, Sakurai has no real hype characters left. If I were him, I would've almost reversed the reveal order completely. He's left some strange characters to hype us up.
I'd argue that Shulk would be a hype character, at the very least in Japan where he's pretty popular.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hey, I'm not going to shove them down your throat. If you like them, hey, so do I! If you don't, well that's your opinion.

I personally think they're a great choice: very fun and creative, representing a new IP that happens to be one of my very favorites.
But for people less acquainted with Rhythm Heaven, it's understandable to be wary of the Chorus Kids.
Do yourself a favor and buy Rhythm Heaven, though.
I don't really dislike the idea of the Chorus Men. But I don't really like them, either. They're something I'd be perfectly fine without, so their inclusion on the leak has no impact on the fact that I would like the leak to burn in a blazing inferno.

Also, I'm not quite sure if Rhythm Heaven would be my kind of game...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hey, I'm not going to shove them down your throat. If you like them, hey, so do I! If you don't, well that's your opinion.

I personally think they're a great choice: very fun and creative, representing a new IP that happens to be one of my very favorites.
But for people less acquainted with Rhythm Heaven, it's understandable to be wary of the Chorus Kids.
I'm sorry, but I want Rhythm Heaven to be repped by someone more...

Masculine.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

After notifying my friend about the Sal Leak, he gave me a somewhat negative reaction towards the Chorus Kids. Mind you, he actually liked the game but he wasn't too sure how they'd work in Smash. He said a character named Marshall would make a little more sense and had a little more material to work with. Of course, these were his opinions and they sort of reflect back on me. The game didn't look too interesting after a few looks here and there. It's just not for me I guess.

Now, I've never played the games so I honestly have no clue really. I'm not against their inclusion, but I wouldn't be too fond with them either. But, their gameplay would have to determine that for me.

There's nothing wrong with supporting them, I just feel that their support launched after the Sal Leak. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah I do agree. I can see how people who haven't played the series see Chrom as 'another blue haired lord', whereas the three in fact have major differences. A female character or magic user would be good too. Robin could have alts like Villager.
I've played through Awakening, and I don't really see a lot of "major" differences.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Yeah, I don't actually hate the Chorus Kids. Chorus Boys? Chorus Men? Glee Club? What are they called again?
Anyway, I was just being an ass because why not

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
People here were absolutely furious when R.O.B. was leaked for Brawl and did pretty much everything they could to either trash him or deny it. People warmed up to it after the game came out but man... just, man. They were also dumbfounded and denied that the roster was "only 35 characters." It's really silly looking back.

Actually it was really silly then too.
Oh wow. See, I'm somewhat new. I joined back in Feb. I believe so I wouldn't know honestly.

I was very excited when I first saw R.O.B.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, but I want Rhythm Heaven to be repped by someone more...

Masculine.
Well, I just don't think Wrestler represents the series very well.
He's only appeared in one game (and one minigame on top of that), and would probably possess a grappling moveset that, although admittedly cool, doesn't really show what the series is all about.

Chorus Kids give a more "Rhythm Heaven" feel.

And ugh I hate when people act like support coming from the Sal leak is a bad thing.
Nobody supported Wii Fit Trainer before either, and take a look: everyone loves her.
Chorus Kids are a crazy idea that nobody could have saw coming. So it's understandable that it took a leak to spark support.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'd argue that Shulk would be a hype character, at the very least in Japan where he's pretty popular.
Rhythm Heaven is HUGE in Japan, so Chorus Kids will probably be very favored there, as well.

Maybe not to the Japanese Smash forum goers like you and I, but definitely the general Japanese audience.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
He's only appeared in one game (and one minigame on top of that), and would probably possess a grappling moveset that, although admittedly cool, doesn't really show what the series is all about.

I can't say I really know much about Rhythm Heaven characters and which one would be the best choice for Smash, but I can respect the idea of choosing the one that best represents the series. I do think it's important that the series present in Smash are represented properly to the massive number of people who will play Smash, who could in fact be introduced to those series through Smash.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
To be honest, somehow I wasn't spoiled for ROB's appearance. I didn't even know what he was: I just was wowed by the actually amazing cutscene in the SSE.
You know, the one with the Ancient Minister?
Anyway, ROB is also one of my mains so there's another reason I absolutely don't hate him.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I knew ROB from Mario Kart DS, but I knew he had history behind him and he's not a Mario character as well. When I first saw him I was like "cool! He deserved it!"

You know I don't think I disliked any newcomer in Brawl at all. I just wanted the game itself actually; the newcomers themselves were cherry on top.
I was really unaware that character speculation was even a thing that time though.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
To be fair, sorry Girahim supporters, but if Zelda were to get a new rep, Tingle is the only logical choice(Maybe Tetra too). Midna didn't get in, and a one and done villain like Girahim won't get in either. Granted, Tingle is an assist trophy.
I would disagree with it manly due to America has a dislike towards Tingle, so him being background in Melee and AT for Brawl/SSB4. Vaati, Impa, and Tetra all have the best chances of being a newcomer for Zelda series due to each pros and cons the three has.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I didn't even insult them, I just said I'd prefer the Wrestler, I didn't say anything negative about the Chorus Kids.?

And ugh I hate when people act like support coming from the Sal leak is a bad thing.
Nobody supported Wii Fit Trainer before either, and take a look: everyone loves her.
Chorus Kids are a crazy idea that nobody could have saw coming. So it's understandable that it took a leak to spark support.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't care if Rhythm Heaven gets a rep or not, but I don't really like the Chorus Men at all. They look incredibly boring, which is ironic since people keep saying that they're unique. I haven't played the series, but I have watched some videos of them, and it was highly annoying. Those screaming voices that sound like the Rabbids irk me horribly, it'll make any match with them be a big pain.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Kenith Kenith
I never said that you were bashing on the Kids.
I'm just explaining that I think Chorus Kids represent the series far better than Wrestler.

Say Rhythm Heaven got another character sometime down the line.
Then Wrestler and Karate Joe would be perfect options. But Chorus Kids do the best job at showing people what the series is about.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

This is the roster I personally believe will want to happen.

Blue = Starter

Yellow = Unlockable

Red = Cut

Green = DLC

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Chorus Kids are tight. I'd love and be fine with Marshal too. But Chorus Kids are tight.

Wrestler guy does not represent Rhythm heaven well, if you're going to rep Rhythm Heaven, you need to be a music based character. And he'd give the wrong idea to people wanting to try the franchise. That's why the kids are perfect.

I still can't believe people doubt they're a good choice to have a moveset for or to be in Smash. Have people not learned that Sakurai put in characters that he can make good movesets for? People were bashing the idea of Pacman and Miis, and look, he proved all of you wrong. I don't see how the same cannot apply to the kids.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ Kenith Kenith
Say Rhythm Heaven got another character sometime down the line.
Then Wrestler and Karate Joe would be perfect options. But Chorus Kids do the best job at showing people what the series is about.
That seems really subjective.

You make it sound like Chorus Kids are the only character capable of having a rhythm-based move set.
Why can't the Wrestler have one too?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You make it sound like Chorus Kids are the only character capable of having a rhythm-based move set.
I really wouldn't want a wrestler to NOT do wrestling.

Martial arts incorporate rhythm. This is something I'm very familiar with as a boxer. But...it's not the quirky, musical rhythm that the series is about.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
That seems really subjective.

Well Chorus Kids are music based, which is a huge part of the Rhythm Heaven franchise. Another big part of the franchise: groups that keep rhythm together. Many minigames are based off of this idea, and Chorus Kids can represent a bunch in their moveset.

Also, they are the only characters on the cover art (and are used to advertise Rhythm Heaven DS more than any other characters), they appear in 2 minigames in the game (not counting remixes, which would make it 5 or 6), made cameos in other Rhythm Heaven games (Fever in Munchy Monk, even DS once again in Splashdown as the audience), and even made it outside the series in Game & Wario, admittedly alongside the Wrestler.

But take it from a big fan of the series; Chorus Kids are a great choice to represent the franchise.

Hong

The Strongest
Lucina is just like Chrom, plus she's another blue-haired sword user, the only difference is that she's a girl but that means nothing, I really don't care for her being in Smash Bros at all.

Robin, on the other hand...
Well, Lucina is also a way better character than Chrom in terms of personality and story. She is close to Ike as my favourite lord, but not quite.

That said, I agree on a functional level. I confess I want Lucina in the game for entirely pointless and selfish reasons, and that she will add nothing of value to the game as a fighter.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well, Lucina is also a way better character than Chrom in terms of personality and story. She is close to Ike as my favourite lord, but not quite.

That said, I agree on a functional level. I confess I want Lucina in the game for entirely pointless and selfish reasons, and that she will add nothing of value to the game as a fighter.
Well i think we should save crticism to Chrom/Lucina's moveset once we actually see it in action, Sakurai has proven he can make characters unique against all odds so we'll see.

Hong

The Strongest
Well i think we should save crticism to Chrom/Lucina's moveset once we actually see it in action, Sakurai has proven he can make characters unique against all odds so we'll see.
Of course he can. There are so many gameplay niches that Chrom can still fulfill.

But I rather that play style be assigned to another character of another franchise with more aesthetic and theatrical contrast than have three lords of visual similarity.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's not hard to make movesets, considering every character follows the fundamentals of fighting games. Though there are pros and cons between making original characters verses using existing ones, the main one is that the latter provides with abilities prepackaged but at the sametime causes a restriction with how much you can get away with.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Of course he can. There are so many gameplay niches that Chrom can still fulfill.

But I rather that play style be assigned to another character of another franchise with more aesthetic and theatrical contrast than have three lords of visual similarity.
Genuinely curious and never played FE: Awakening, what exactly could Chrom fill?

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
So, 12 hours till the new character reveal. :)

My icon sums up how I will feel if its Shulk.

I don't hate the character, in fact I think he is pretty cool. I just think hes more of a character to be revealed during a direct and not his own exclusive event. I guess he has to come sometime, but its gonna be dissapointing for me when I spend 3 days hyping an event to get a character I pretty much knew was in the game. Thats why leaks ruin the fun.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be completely happy with whoever we get, but I'd prefer to be surprised. Sadly, that probably won't happen. But I can hope, and if we get someone completely new I will be super excited because it opens up the door to more fighters beyond those 3 sacred gematsu characters.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
But take it from a big fan of the series; Chorus Kids are a great choice to represent the franchise.
I never claimed otherwise...but I don't think they're necessarily a better choice.

To be quite honest, I really don't think any one character from Rhythm Heaven represents it very well.

Its sort of like WarioWare, but without Wario.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace

Haha, we all have those wants.

Genuinely curious and never played FE: Awakening, what exactly could Chrom fill?

Well Marth's blade looks like a longass dagger now, and Ike's sword is still pretty big but shortened a bit. Chrom's blade could be in between the two, eh?

Not that I want him in, but...

"Comparing sword sizes, are we?" ;)

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
He doesn't really have any superpowers, beyond the fact his main class can be promoted to equip lances/javelins (much like Ike can equip axes when he promotes).

Thus, basically he can do anything that a regular anime humanoid with peak athletic ability can achieve, plus anything exclusive to having a sword. Much like with Marth and Ike, they will basically be making the moveset up and taking mechanical inspirations from the games. He literally has the same sword as Marth only with a reforged pommel, and it doesn't really do anything besides "banish evil".

Well, you can use it as a gag to heal yourself.

As such, it's best just to look at what fighting games have and then look at what Smash 4 is lacking. Generally, people want a pressure-heavy rushdown fighter that needs to stay on the aggression to compensate for a poor defence. Others have proposed that he should be an aerial ace that can force his enemies to the skies with vertical launchers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Some potential niches he can fill, with varying likelihood, include closing-the-distance rushdown, aerial offense guy with high jumps, a healing character, a stance character by using sword + lance (this is a bit unlikely, due to Sakurai possibly seeing it as a transformation depending on how it's implemented), or a summoner (admittedly the most unlikely of the bunch and not going to happen :p ).

Or possibly a combination of the above.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
So if any of the gematsu guys are revealed tommorow it could be...

Shulk- #MonadoMonday
Chorus Kids- #MusicalMonday
Chrom- #MarthCloneMonday :troll:
(I kid. I don't play FE games but I can guarantee that Chrom can bring something fresh to the table)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I want Chrom to be like Marvel 3 Wolverine.

Yeah, divekick and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom