• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Gonna Post my Roster here with some notes if you guys want to discuss it.

Explanations:

• Gematsu + All Brawl veterans (not Snake, Squirtle, and Venasaur) + Ridley, Mewtwo, and Dixie
    • Dixie instead of K Rool for reasons I won't state due to not wanting to cause a war, even though I want K Rool more.
    • Ridley has sufficient evidence for playability status. He is the reason I made a 51 character roster instead of 48. Because of the evidence for him, Gematsu cannot be the final roster
    • Mewtwo is Bomb
  • Purple Outline = DLC Characters
    • My character choices are to coincide with Games to be released in 2015 and beyond + to promote new titles
      • Captain Toad
        • To coincide with his game, very requested character, and now due to his Captain status, has great moveset potential
      • Paper Mario
        • Not sure about this one. I would love to see him, but also could see him just being a starting character in Smash 5
      • Zelda Rep
        • Whoever a major supporting character in Zelda U is
      • Star Fox Rep
        • Someone from Star Fox U. Krystal or Slippy maybe
      • Unknown
        • Could be Splatoon Rep
        • Could be STEAM Rep
        • Could be another Pokemon Rep
      • Could have one more Unknown DLC character
  • This Roster is meant to be a realistic view instead of what I would like to see, though, with this roster I would be beyond satisfied. I got Megman, Villager, and Ridley!
  • Also, You can make the roster 50 characters instead of 51 and put Lucas as DLC instead.
EDIT: I completely forgot Bandanna Dee! Add him to DLC!​

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I want Chrom to be like Marvel 3 Wolverine.

Yeah, divekick and all.
Please. Anything.

There is so much STUFF I want to see in Smash Bros. I don't care if it's unoriginal. A lot of cool stuff is missing that could be a lot of fun to play with.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I want Chrom to be like Marvel 3 Wolverine.

Yeah, divekick and all.
I'm not sure if that's the worst or the best idea for Chrom yet...
So if any of the gematsu guys are revealed tommorow it could be...

Shulk- #MonadoMonday
Chorus Kids- #MusicalMonday
Chrom- #MarthCloneMonday :troll:
(I kid. I don't play FE games but I can guarantee that Chrom can bring something fresh to the table)
Chrom- #MarringeMonday:troll:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Big ol' Chrom post.
Oh, yeah. Typical fighting game niches, that makes sense, yeah. My bad! I would prefer him being rushdown as opposed to aerial, since... I'unno, it seems weird for him to be aerial, just from an aesthetics standpoint. also that's totally ridley's gimmick

Slightly less big ol' Chrom post.
I think I saw someone post a summoner idea, where he'd call in his troops (or followers or whatever) to help him out. That could be cool as hell, but sadly so, *so* unlikely.

Hong

The Strongest
Oh, yeah. Typical fighting game niches, that makes sense, yeah. My bad! I would prefer him being rushdown as opposed to aerial, since... I'unno, it seems weird for him to be aerial, just from an aesthetics standpoint. also that's totally ridley's gimmick
Not flight, just exceptional jumping. Kind of like Falco has a really high and fast jump.

Check out this cutscene. He also jumps really high in this cutscene. It's pretty anime, but it works.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Not flight, just exceptional jumping. Kind of like Falco has a really high and fast jump.

Check out this cutscene. He also jumps really high in this cutscene. It's pretty anime, but it works.
Oh, that makes more sense, yeah. I'd still like to see him (or anyone) as rushdown, though, but that's because I am a silly man who doesn't believe in defense.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Please. Anything.

There is so much STUFF I want to see in Smash Bros. I don't care if it's unoriginal. A lot of cool stuff is missing that could be a lot of fun to play with.
It's your comment about him being very rushdown combined with Justin Wong winning EVO just now with Wolverine in his team that gave me the idea.

But it actually would be great. A heavy rushdown character with so many options of approaching in for pressure would be sweet and fun in Smash.

He could be a grappler too, and I wouldn't care. I want a Zangief-styled grappler!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, going off what Hong stated, when looking through cutscenes, as well as his in-game battle animations, Chrom's a great jumper. Therefore, an aerial swordstrike set could be right up his ally.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Yeah, going off what Hong stated, when looking through cutscenes, as well as his in-game battle animations, Chrom's a great jumper. Therefore, an aerial swordstrike set could be right up his ally.
Aerial swordsmen?

Marth of Melee shall be reborn in Smash 4

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Explanations:

• Gematsu + All Brawl veterans (not Snake, Squirtle, and Venasaur) + Ridley, Mewtwo, and Dixie
    • Dixie instead of K Rool for reasons I won't state due to not wanting to cause a war, even though I want K Rool more.
    • Ridley has sufficient evidence for playability status. He is the reason I made a 51 character roster instead of 48. Because of the evidence for him, Gematsu cannot be the final roster
    • Mewtwo is Bomb
    • My character choices are to coincide with Games to be released in 2015 and beyond + to promote new titles
      • Captain Toad
        • To coincide with his game, very requested character, and now due to his Captain status, has great moveset potential
      • Paper Mario
        • Not sure about this one. I would love to see him, but also could see him just being a starting character in Smash 5
      • Zelda Rep
      • Star Fox Rep
      • Unknown
        • Could be Splatoon Rep
        • Could be STEAM Rep
  • This Roster is meant to be a realistic view instead of what I would like to see, though, with this roster I would be beyond satisfied. I got Megman, Villager, and Ridley!
  • Also, You can make the roster 50 characters instead of 51 and put Lucas as DLC instead.
Paper Mario would be a great DLC choice. I support.
He could be a grappler too, and I wouldn't care. I want a Zangief-styled grappler!
A grappler character wouldn't be a bad idea, but it doesn't really match Chrom. He doesn't take sterioids have the Gief-Muscles!

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So, 12 hours till the new character reveal. :)

My icon sums up how I will feel if its Shulk.

I don't hate the character, in fact I think he is pretty cool. I just think hes more of a character to be revealed during a direct and not his own exclusive event. I guess he has to come sometime, but its gonna be dissapointing for me when I spend 3 days hyping an event to get a character I pretty much knew was in the game. Thats why leaks ruin the fun.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be completely happy with whoever we get, but I'd prefer to be surprised. Sadly, that probably won't happen. But I can hope, and if we get someone completely new I will be super excited because it opens up the door to more fighters beyond those 3 sacred gematsu characters.
To be frank, after the constant amount of surprises we've gotten, I think the shift towards a more straight forward discussion is a needed breather that allows us to talk about the scenario at hand. We know what we're getting oit of this, but there are still questions lurking about how everything will pull together. Even veterens would fall into that due to the larger emphasis on changing movesets.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sometime down the road, Wrestler would be my ideal choice for a second RH character. Maybe even DLC. But the Wrestler and Reporter should definitely be the RH Assist Trophy.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
*sigh* You guys are describing moveset ideas for Chrom that I came up with already.

For Lucina. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Well, canonically speaking, Chrom and Lucina have the exact same fighting style. So it makes sense that ideas made for one could be used for the other.

D

Deleted member

The answer is Walhart.

You cannot question this. Yes, Gematsu is actually wrong. But only on Chrom. Gematsu really meant Walhart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
I barely see the point in posting rosters anymore because at this point they all look more or less identical.

So heres mine :awesome:

I posted this a while back as well but posting again because why not.

To make it more likely, take out Chibi, Isaac, a DK newcomer, and either Taka/Bandana. To make it even MORE likely, remove Ridley and the 2 you chose not to take out before. Then what do you get? The same 48 character roster that a ton of people are predicting. See my point.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I feel that they have very similar potential.

The question is which one will be chosen.
Well, there is another candidate they could choose, one with an entirely different kind of potential...

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
The only thing I could see changed about Gematsu since the leaker got info is Chrom. Maybe back during early discussions they decided Chrom would replace Ike, then later decided that they would just give Ike a new design and potentially a different playstyle to replace the need for an FE newcomer.

This would be due to the fact that the game's assets are taken from Brawl and Ike would be much a much better decision so that instead of spending development time on Chrom, they did other things

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The answer is Walhart.

You cannot question this. Yes, Gematsu is actually wrong. But only on Chrom. Gematsu really meant Walhart.
Gematsu has officially been proven wrong through the power of Attack on Titan, Entei, and lobsters.

Court dismissed, BRING OUT THE DANCING WALHARTS!

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well, there is another candidate they could choose, one with an entirely different kind of potential...
Yeah, like Anna!
Or Lyn! Ooh, how about Kellam? I almost forgot him but he'd be cool.

Hey, what if Roy returned? Or we got Hector carrying around a big axe.
And Tiki would be awesome.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone...

D

Deleted member

Sakurai doesn't work like that.
Since Ike's here, he was never going to be replaced. We're getting Chrom regardless of Ike.
Gematsu has officially been proven wrong through the power of Attack on Titan, Entei, and lobsters.
Court dismissed, BRING OUT THE DANCING WALHARTS!
Best post I've seen today. :laugh:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Sakurai doesn't work like that.
Since Ike's here, he was never going to be replaced. We're getting Chrom regardless of Ike.
What I'm saying is that since Gematsu was obviously very early in the development process, maybe they decided on Chrom and changed plans to Ike. I feel like it'd be a much easier decision on the development side than switching K Rool for Dixie for instance.

D

Deleted member

What I'm saying is that since Gematsu was obviously very early in the development process, maybe they decided on Chrom and changed plans to Ike. I feel like it'd be a much easier decision on the development side than switching K Rool for Dixie for instance.
Again, the fact Ike's here means there was never any serious consideration for him to leave.

EDIT: Had to add "serious" since for all we know there could have been some case of consideration for Ike to go.

Hong

The Strongest
A grappler character wouldn't be a bad idea, but it doesn't really match Chrom. He doesn't take sterioids have the Gief-Muscles!
Yeah. Imagine a character who had a sword running around just grabbing and punching people!

The only thing I could see changed about Gematsu since the leaker got info is Chrom. Maybe back during early discussions they decided Chrom would replace Ike, then later decided that they would just give Ike a new design and potentially a different playstyle to replace the need for an FE newcomer.

This would be due to the fact that the game's assets are taken from Brawl and Ike would be much a much better decision so that instead of spending development time on Chrom, they did other things
It's possible.

Does Mr. Sakurai add Chrom, to meet the expectations fans have of a new character?
Or does he keep Ike, to meet the expectations of a returning veteran?

A lot of people say "Oh, obviously Ike. We don't want cuts!". Sakurai doesn't like cuts either, but he has a very difficult balancing act, a tonne of pressure on his shoulder (more than ANY of us), and he's made cuts before. Not only Roy, but there have been Fire Emblem characters changed before release more than once. Keep in mind he drafted the roster back in 2012 around the time Awakening came out in Japan, so Chrom may have sounded like a good idea initially.

Perhaps Ike's redesign is a compromise.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, like Anna!
Or Lyn! Ooh, how about Kellam? I almost forgot him but he'd be cool.

Hey, what if Roy returned? Or we got Hector carrying around a big axe.
And Tiki would be awesome.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone...
Frankly, I don't find this to be humorous.

I just wanted to point out that if there is a question as to which Awakening character gets into the game, Robin is a viable choice that could easily be made unique. There's an incredible amount of potential there, and the diversity Robin could have would, in my mind, be a much better representation of the Fire Emblem series as a whole than another swordsman would.

epicgordan

Smash Ace

Explanations:

• Mewtwo is Bomb
      • Captain Toad
      • Paper Mario
      • Zelda Rep
      • Star Fox Rep
      • Unknown
        • Could be Splatoon Rep
        • Could be STEAM Rep
I can safely agree with your entire final roster except for Dixie Kong simply because her big selling point--Tropical Freeze--may be too recent. Same with Lucas to a lesser extent, but I'll remain on the fence with these two for the time being. Outside of King K. Rool, there are several other possibilities that tend to suggest one thing or another outside the gematsu three. Dark Pit appearing at the end of Palutena's trailer and in her character poster may suggest him as a playable character. The Trophy quiz may tease at another Zelda newcomer (if one limits it to just the game Fi came from, it'd likely mean Ghirahim if that is the case, but I'm not going to grasp anymore straws). Or Sakurai's comments about resurrecting older franchises may even tease at a 100% strictly retro character even (Excitebiker/Mach Rider and Takamaru both come to mind among other things). And if I were to grasp some serious straws, I could technically even single out Jill or Isaac due to lack of Assist Trophies, though I find either of them highly unlikely regardless.

I guess for now, I am only saying that I do not fully agree with Dixie Kong or Lucas (especially if he winds up getting cut), but neither do I disagree that they shouldn't be in the game. But, hey? I stumbled upon a leak that says only Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle will be cut, so let's wait and see what happens with him. For now, Ridley and Mewtwo seem to be locks to be added newcomers (though with Mewtwo, if he isn't in the final roster, then he'll be a lock for DLC).

As far as newcomers go, I completely agree with Captain Toad simply because he was teased as potential DLC. I don't think we'll get Paper Mario, though. I don't think Sakurai will go for two Mario DLC, and as cool as he might be, I don't think he's happening. I can see a Zelda rep if we don't get a newcomer in the final roster (it'd likely be Impa then, but who knows). Star Fox, I think is going to be out of the way, and the only way we'd get DLC from that series is if the next game introduces to us another highly significant character on the same page as Fox, Falco and Wolf (and even then, Krystal's games were hated by fans and critics, while Slippy just feels like a bit of a stretch). Your new IP reps seem like decent ideas for character DLC, but isn't Splatoon Second Party (I know Project: STEAM isn't)? And if Mewtwo is already in the Final Roster, Blaziken and/or Hawlucha seems to make the most sense for playable status (and no, there is no type clause in Pokémon; even if there was, I doubt Sakurai will take that under consideration when making DLC anyways; Blaziken and Hawlucha would fight drastically different than Charizard or Lucario anyways). Also, Lucas and Roy might make returns for DLC. So could Dixie Kong fit in if she doesn't get in the first time (she'd be more likely methinks than King K. Rool in the DLC department, anyways).

Other possible DLC based on existing franchises? Well...Hades would make a great unexpected entrance, wouldn't he? But beyond that, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Impa, Hades, Mewtwo (if he isn't in the first time)/Blaziken/Hawlucha, Roy, Lucas (if he is cut from the roster), Snake (a distant maybe, and only if a deal can be made with Kojima and Konami), and whatever new IP candidates we may wind up getting in the future.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure the updated look for Ike was done to keep the character based around his most recent role similar to Marth, and as a way to make him contrast more with Marth. I doubt it was used as a method of compensation.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
We have to realize.

We are only 39,600 seconds away from witnessing a brand new smash character.

Get hype.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Frankly, I don't find this to be humorous.

I just wanted to point out that if there is a question as to which Awakening character gets into the game, Robin is a viable choice that could easily be made unique. There's an incredible amount of potential there, and the diversity Robin could have would, in my mind, be a much better representation of the Fire Emblem series as a whole than another swordsman would.
Robin is a viable choice, but quite frankly a very overrated one.
I'm not saying Chrom and Lucina are or aren't, either.
In fact, almost every Fire Emblem character suggestion is overrated to an extent.

I'd be perfectly fine with Marth and Ike, but that's just me.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm pretty sure the updated look for Ike was done to keep the character based around his most recent role similar to Marth, and as a way to make him contrast more with Marth. I doubt it was used as a method of compensation.
Certainly the most logical explanation, yeah. Would have preferred if he bulked up before Brawl.

Unrelated to the current discussion, but Toon Link having the Triforce Slash and Sheik having Light Arrows makes me feel very uncomfortable for Wolf's Final Smash. :(
Robin is a viable choice, but quite frankly a very overrated one.
I'm not saying Chrom and Lucina are or aren't, either.
In fact, almost every Fire Emblem character suggestion is overrated to an extent.

I'd be perfectly fine with Marth and Ike, but that's just me.
Basically. Make Ike good while they are at it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom