• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Hi, Greninja is barely a year old, yet he's in. Just because a new game is "too recent" doesn't mean they cannot get in. Look at all the rumors going on about people like Shulk and Chrom for example. Sure, they are recent characters, but they are also highly requested and has the popularity, moveset, and support to back them up. Just give Dixie a shot as she's one of the characters who highly deserve to be in.
I already talked about Greninja in relation to Dixie Kong, but Shulk and Chrom don't even belong in the same category anyways. Disregarding the gematsu leak for the time being (as any adequate argument involving them should involve more than just a leak, even if it is reliable), Chrom's game was being released at the very beginning of Smash 4's development, while Xenoblade: Chronicles was at least a years old. Sure, they may be recent, but they are most definitely are not too recent.

Also, I am not saying that I do not want Dixie Kong to be playable nor think she will be playable. On the contrary, she'd make for a decent addition at the very least. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that she'd be more likely as DLC than King K. Rool should neither of them show up. But when I say that I don't quite agree with her inclusion, I mean not certain that she will indeed become non-gematsu newcomer number 4.

I can keep my options open for Lucas' slot as well as the mystery slot, can I not?

Hong

The Strongest
If either of them appear, I would like a total rework. Wolf is closer to being a unique character than Falco is, but regardless, I want them to go the extra mile for both of them.
What would you change about Wolf, though? He can use some statistical revision, but I am having a hard time replacing any of his attacks. o.o They are so cool and a lot of them very original. Granted, his shine is the one place where he and Fox truly overlap so that can go, and Zero Suit Samus more or less has his B+Up.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
What would you change about Wolf, though? He can use some statistical revision, but I am having a hard time replacing any of his attacks. o.o They are so cool and a lot of them very original. Granted, his shine is the one place where he and Fox truly overlap so that can go, and Zero Suit Samus more or less has his B+Up.
That's easy.
For his Final Smash. Stack one Landmaster on another. That way it's unique.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Call in Star Wolf for his final smash to do a laser barrage or a smartbomb bombing run?

epicgordan

Smash Ace
So, could this new leak mean that only the gematsu three is all we're getting? Not really. Aside from how obvious it was that Shulk was going to be confirmed tomorrow (and now the leak essentially confirms it), I think this leak was made to only pertain to Shulk in general. We may hear more come August Direct, if not September. And if he doesn't spill any beans regarding additional newcomers, then either we are stuck with a 47-character roster (maybe 48 if Lucas comes back), or we'll get more than that, and the gematsu leak's credibility will be called into question.

Frankly, I am not worried about any other characters that have not yet been predicted by the tipster. And if we get another veteran out of this (it'd most likely be Ness if it's a confirmation; R.O.B. if it's just a tease a la Pac-Man trailer), it may be added evidence that this guy still doesn't know everything about the roster.

But, I guess tomorrow is indeed the moment of truth regarding credibility, huh? If it isn't Shulk, then it's fake. Otherwise, guess we got to give him some credibility.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
I've lost all hope to see any non Gematsu leak character announcements as of right now. Scrub it, I'll just have to sit down and accept what's coming to me. Don't get me wrong, I think Shulk looks like a cool character (wish I got to play his game), but I was hoping for someone...non Gematsu. I mean, I played Fire Emblem Awakening, and I just find Chrom to be bland and boring (no offense to Chrom fans), and I...really don't know what to think about the Chorus Men. I don't really like the idea, but hey, I had to accept Wii Fit Trainer as well. Goodbye hopes of Takamaru, Isaac, Lip, or any other possible newcomers. Hello Gematsu...:crying:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
I don't really understand why people think that if Shulk is revealed tomorrow, it proves Sal right even more. We ALL came to the conclusion that Shulk was going to be revealed when we noticed that a Monolith Soft developer retweeted the tweet detailing the video.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
The majority of his attacks are original, save for a few normal ones and the couple of specials you've pointed out. I don't have a comprehensive moveset drafted for this character, but to begin with, I would give him an up smash that wasn't a carbon copy of Fox and Falco's. That one is way too similar. His blaster has some unique properties going for it, like the bayonet at the tip, but in the end it's blaster number 3, and that's kind of off-putting. I guess you could keep it to give the character some long range options, but perhaps you could go in another direction and use some other kind of firearm? His forward grab is also executed in the same fashion as the other Star Fox characters, only with claws.

Being that I'm a casual player, I'd like to see his final smash changed up a little. One Landmaster is fine, but isn't the Star Fox universe chock full of technology? To that, I say take advantage and use the Wolfen. I've never seen this guy pilot a landmaster in my entire life, and when he was shown doing just that in Brawl, it felt like a rushed idea.

I would like to reiterate that Wolf is closer to being a totally unique character than Falco is. Were it not for some similar moves, he would be.

Hong

The Strongest
The majority of his attacks are original, save for a few normal ones and the couple of specials you've pointed out. I don't have a comprehensive moveset drafted for this character, but to begin with, I would give him an up smash that wasn't a carbon copy of Fox and Falco's. That one is way too similar. His blaster has some unique properties going for it, like the bayonet at the tip, but in the end it's blaster number 3, and that's kind of off-putting. I guess you could keep it to give the character some long range options, but perhaps you could go in another direction and use some other kind of firearm? His forward grab is also executed in the same fashion as the other Star Fox characters, only with claws.
Maybe he should fire off Hadoukens instead.:wolf:

Whatever it takes to keep it. What defines it most, and makes it one of the best projectiles in the game, is it's nice and slow. Because of that, they can take up more battlefield real estate, and Wolf can chase it into battle.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Maybe he should fire off Hadoukens instead.:wolf:

Whatever it takes to keep it. What defines it most, and makes it one of the best projectiles in the game, is it's nice and slow. Because of that, they can take up more battlefield real estate, and Wolf can chase it into battle.
I'm a Snake main, so I have a vested interest in seeing that projectile erased from the game. :troll:

robjay13

Smash Rookie
Like I've brought up numerous times, size is an irrelevant excuse. Bowser has been quite big himself, and yet he's a playable.

The main issue with Ridley has more to do with his wings, if anything.
I agree with that too but still, Ridley is the largest cantidate ive heard and like you said bowser is big too and yet hes playable, well Compared to Ridley, biwser is pretty small

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The new leak = any dreams of non-Monado Monday have been crushed by 99.99%.

That is all. The 5 words mean the tidings for one challenger, one only. Not them all.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Yeah. Imagine a character who had a sword running around just grabbing and punching people!

It's possible.
There's a big difference between Chrom and Ganondorf. I could see Ganondorf grabbing people before I could see Chrom doing that (Chrom doesn't even grab his enemies in his games). Also, Ganondorf isn't using his sword. He originated from an existing character and was further decloned in Brawl. He had no sign of his sword in Melee.

It's not impossible, but I highly doubt Chrom will be a grappler character.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Isn't obvious that the gematsu leaker is only reconfirming what we have been speculating all weekend? For all we know, this might as well disconfirm Chrom and Chorus Kids because he makes no mention of either candidate if one is to apply the logic that we are not getting any more newcomers out of these three.

Also, considering the fact that if we get another character reveal in August, and we assume it's Chrom, then that'd only leave us with one secret newcomer in the form of the Chorus Kids--two if you count Pac-Man; three if all the third party representatives are to be hidden. Even if we were to apply the version-exclusive starter theory, it'd make more sense to keep a couple more close to the chest. I might reconsider this if almost all the veterans--if not all the veterans--get confirmed in the weeks leading up to release. Say, eleven or twelve more equaling once a week? How long will that take, I wonder? Oh, yes! Nine more weeks; three more if we decide to go all the way up to American launch. I'll reconsider all this when I see it.

Also note too all the teases of other characters OUTSIDE the gematsu leak, and the fact that the Treehouse people have been suggesting that the final roster is massive, and there are a few more newcomers still in the woodworks. Maybe it's just me, but I think three is a little too small to be "a few more" if you ask me.

Hong

The Strongest
Hm. So Wolf has a hadouken for his neutral B, maybe his over can be a tatsu and recovery a shoryuken. I'm sold. :troll:
There's a big difference between Chrom and Ganondorf. I could see Ganondorf grabbing people before I could see Chrom doing that (Chrom doesn't even grab his enemies in his games). Also, Ganondorf isn't using his sword. He originated from an existing character and was further decloned in Brawl. He had no sign of his sword in Melee.

It's not impossible, but I highly doubt Chrom will be a grappler character.
Aw, come on. I don't sound that serious that I can't make jokes, do I? :( I'm actually a very silly person, you know...

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
:troll:Aw, come on. I don't sound that serious that I can't make jokes, do I? :( I'm actually a very silly person, you know...
I apologize haha.

Well, today looks good for those who support Shulk. So, congratulations to you all!

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The majority of his attacks are original, save for a few normal ones. I would give him an up smash that wasn't a carbon copy of Fox and Falco's. That one is way too similar. His forward grab is also executed in the same fashion as the other Star Fox characters, only with claws.

Being that I'm a casual player, I'd like to see his final smash changed up a little. One Landmaster is fine, but isn't the Star Fox universe chock full of technology? To that, I say take advantage and use the Wolfen. I've never seen this guy pilot a landmaster in my entire life, and when he was shown doing just that in Brawl, it felt like a rushed idea.

I would like to reiterate that Wolf is closer to being a totally unique character than Falco is. Were it not for some similar moves, he would be.
ALL of his standards are unique actually. Unless you count ledge attacks and standing attacks.

Wolf's Up Smash a carbon copy of Fox and Falco?? What?!

Have you ever actually USED it? Not only is it visually very different, its also functionally very different. KIRBY has a more similar Up-Smash.

F-throw is also different. Fox and Falco shoulder bash the opponent forward. Wolf uppercuts them slightly upward.

Agree about Final Smash though.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

I am so confused why is this a thing??

What could this mean for characters????

Hong

The Strongest
I think this is great news for trophies. Anyone who has done great things for Nintendo can get their just rewards in the form of a little publicity. Even just posting this as a Miiverse picture will have heads turned towards Ubisoft.

Don't think it means we'll get any more third-party fighters, though. Maybe Assist Trophies?

D

Deleted member

What the ****?!
A Rayman trophy?!?!

But....Rayman is Ubisoft.....WHY DOES RAYMAN HAVE A TROPHY?

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I won't even be mad because I can pummel the annoying little such'n'suches to my heart's content if they do show up.

Khoru

Smash Champion
for reference, this is the rumor stating snake would only be in as a trophy
i'm not sure i buy it, despite that being a reasonable outcome

D

Deleted member

Oh God.
No.

NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You've already infested one Smash copy where you didn't belong....

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
What the hell!?

Well that opens a lot of doors, basically if there's a desire to represent the character in other ways, they can now be trophies. Hopefully Rayman's the first because I'd like to see what else they'd have up their sleeves.

for reference, this is the rumor stating snake would only be in as a trophy
i'm not sure i buy it, despite that being a reasonable outcome
Eh, it's definitely more plausible, but it's still questionable that they'd demote Snake like that when they're already bothering to get the character back in some capacity in the first place.

Edit: And I do doubt that we'd get Karate Joe over Chorus Men at this point considering the Gematsu leak.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

....I need to sleep this off.
I'll wake up when the video's about to start. But I swear, if it's the Rabbids.....

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
RAYMAN?!?!

I'm about to lose my $#!& right now.

Rayman is my second most wanted character of all time. What does this mean for today's announcement? FUUUUUUUUUUU-

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Does this mean Ubisoft rep playable?

More importantly, if we're going to have third party trophies without reps in the game, does not showing Snake first mean that there's a good chance he's still in? He would be a prime candidate for third party trophy if he isn't back.

Last edited by a moderator:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I honestly hope Rayman is the character revaled tomorrow, even if it doesn't make since for Sakuari to post a POTD about him. I've always wanted to see him in Smash.

Hong

The Strongest
Nah.

I am sure it was just a humble request for the sake of a more diverse trophy library. No company in their right mind would pass up an opportunity to have a trophy in Smash Bros. I'd wager Nintendo could make a killing if they offered it as an advertising platform.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

More importantly, if we're going to have third party trophies without reps in the game, does not showing Snake first mean that there's a good chance he's still in? He would be a prime candidate for third party trophy if he isn't back.
Non-Rayman Ubisoft rep?

Ezio Auditore confirmed.
This is rather interesting for Snake, though.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Non-Rayman Ubisoft rep?

Ezio Auditore confirmed.
-video removed-

I have a hard time believing he would put Rayman here now if it would spoil the reveal, though. I think he's doing it to screw with us and they'll be completely unrelated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom