• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
To follow up from earlier...Ron won the tournament over 9B (results link).

It was two back-to-back sets coming from losers, 2-1 then 2-0. He went mostly :4mario:, but he won game 1 of GF2 with :4luigi:. Let no doofuses insist that one of these characters lies outside of top 10/20 respectively. You also need to watch the replays if you're of the opinion that Ryu solidly beats Mario. The short story is that it looks like Ryu is more of an Ally problem than a Mario one.

One final thing: Ron is likely the best player of both these characters and we should get him to Genesis 3 if at all possible.
Thats kind of a bold statement dont you think? Isnt this his very first offline tournament and it doesn't appear to be a very stacked region of Japan. All he really did was did was beat the lesser Japanese Peach and 9B. Its also not the first time Mario has beaten Ryu at higher levels. Zenyou and Anti both beat Trela IIRC.

Its also possible his style caught 9B off guard.

Djent

Smash Champion
Pikachu doesn't take a dump on Rosalina; it's a slight advantage at best. I'll even dissent from most Pika players in calling the MU even. It's telling that Dabuz prefers Rosa in that match when he has Olimar, who doesn't do so bad vs. Pikachu either. If it were in "massive dump" territory you'd think he would at least give Oli a shot.

My statements about Ron (and to a lesser extent Luigi) are bold, but I think they're well-justfied. It's not like the story of "secretly incredible Japanese Wi-Fi player" is a new one. Hell, bc1910 bc1910 mentioned Some and Dee already, and I'll throw in Masha and SLS from the Brawl era. Ally himself was "just a Wi-Fi player" in the eyes of many before he ventured South. Consistently dominating on Wi-Fi is still fairly strong evidence that you're good, even if individual games and sets don't have the same evidential value as offline ones. So I see Ron's win as building upon his previous success online. I also think who you beat on your way to victory says more than who attended the tournament (because you may have avoided some good players), and a win on Kie + a 2x victory over 9B is better than what >95% of players can boast in their careers.

Luigi has Sheik problems, but so do a lot of amazing characters. His spread is still looking fairly good after the nerfs, and he still appears in top 8s like the two we saw today. I can see him in a similar spot to Falcon in terms of solo viability, and most people place him in top 15 even.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Djent Djent Yeah, I'm not one of those people to discount Wifi players immediately. Dee is fantastic. Some and Ron both started on Wifi and have done some amazing things. Ally started on Wifi, so did Emukiller in Project M. Freaking Nairo says he mostly trains by playing For Glory, and I can believe it; that game mode encourages adaptability above all else.

People love to discredit Wifi but the fact is, if you can beat someone on Wifi where reaction time means less and reading ability means more, chances are (with a little practice) you're gonna be fearsome offline as well. Also, I'd bet my left nut that plenty of players who discredit Wifi players play a lot more Wifi than they let on.

Keeping all that in mind, I still don't think that one fairly unstacked tournament where Luigi was barely used in Grands means that the character is still top 20. Beating 9B is certainly impressive but Luigi was barely used to do so. I would say Concon getting 5th yesterday is stronger evidence for the assertion of Luigi still being top 20. But even then, this is Concon, widely considered the best Luigi in the world, getting 5th in stuff he used to get 1st and 2nd in. The character is a lot worse off.

FWIW I don't think top 20 is out of the question. I can agree that Luigi is in a similar spot to Falcon in terms of solo viability, however there are a whole mishmash of characters who fall into that group (specifically Falcon, Ike, Luigi, Greninja, Pit, Dark Pit, Yoshi, Peach, and maybe ROB, Pac-Man and Lucario) and I feel like Luigi has a greater number of bad MUs than most of its inhabitants. I would say he has a better Sheik MU than Falcon, though both lose, with more bad MUs overall.

Hmm, I would dispute that Ness' landing aerials were already safe, they seemed good but to be properly safe they both had to be timed and spaced really well (I think I knew some of the numbers/data at one point but don't remember exactly) and were in my eyes one of the things that really stopped Ness being able to play footsies effectively. In fact, previously this was one of the areas Ness stopped being an easy character and to succeed at higher levels you had to master spacing/timing. It is true that his OoS and running shield became worse off though.
Bair was -11 on shield before and -7 now. So if you don't space properly you'll still get shieldgrabbed. It's gone from being -4 on shield drop to 0, but -4 still wasn't enough time to dashgrab OR shield drop Ftilt Ness if he spaced properly. So it's not really any different.

Uair was -9 on shield and is -5 now. I'll grant you that this does make a difference, as Ness can now only be shieldgrabbed by characters with a f6 grab (he has 1 frame to spotdodge but f1 of spotdodge is still vulnerable), but there're only a handful of MUs where this will make a difference; against the characters with f7-10 grabs. The faster grabs can still grab him, the slower grabs never could.

Last edited:

InfinityDM

Smash Rookie
To follow up from earlier...Ron won the tournament over 9B (results link).

It was two back-to-back sets coming from losers, 2-1 then 2-0. He went mostly :4mario:, but he won game 1 of GF2 with :4luigi:. Let no doofuses insist that one of these characters lies outside of top 10/20 respectively. You also need to watch the replays if you're of the opinion that Ryu solidly beats Mario. The short story is that it looks like Ryu is more of an Ally problem than a Mario one.

One final thing: Ron is likely the best player of both these characters and we should get him to Genesis 3 if at all possible.
I don't really know who says that :4ryu: has a big advantage over :4mario: and I highly doubt that opinion anyway. :4luigi: is probably at a disadvantage overall because he finds it a little difficult to kill Ryu and Ryu can pretty much match his damage count at earlier percents. Overall they're both pretty even matchups.

What other results does Ron have to back-up the claim that is he likely the best player of both :4mario: / :4luigi:?

Pressio

Smash Rookie
It doesnt look like that luigi got shiek problems vs void or Zenzyou(?). It was a slight disadvantage for luigi and Mr.concon says he goes even with shiek(bias?) but thats not important right now we all are getting luigi wrong and putting him in a wrong place! I am very sure that cant be that Mr.concon is skill wise above Void..and they had close matches. So what do you think?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Bair was -11 on shield before and -7 now. So if you don't space properly you'll still get shieldgrabbed. It's gone from being -4 on shield drop to 0, but -4 still wasn't enough time to dashgrab OR shield drop Ftilt Ness if he spaced properly. So it's not really any different.

Uair was -9 on shield and is -5 now. I'll grant you that this does make a difference, as Ness can now only be shieldgrabbed by characters with a f6 grab (he has 1 frame to spotdodge but f1 of spotdodge is still vulnerable), but there're only a handful of MUs where this will make a difference; against the characters with f7-10 grabs. The faster grabs can still grab him, the slower grabs never could.
The bolded was kinda my entire point. :p Both aerials are pretty easy to space so that you don't get shield-grabbed, but it became a 50/50 against faster chars like Sheik as to whether they'd try to punish you with a shield drop ---> running grab or a DA or something similar. Now that's significantly harder, even if theoretically he can still be punished in the same/similar ways.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
:4sonic: worst MU is Rosa
:4mario: worst MU is Rosa
:4diddy: worst MU is Rosa
:4ness: worst MU is Rosa.
This are all pretty questionable ...

Rosalina being Sonic's worst matchup is pretty much entirely the personal opinion of Seagull Joe.
It's hard to call anybody Mario's worst matchup because many of them seems to be on the same level hovering somewhere around -1. It could be her ... but it could also be Sheik or ZSS or Sonic ...
Opinions on Diddy vs Rosalina are all over the place from being in either character's favor to being completely even.
Most Ness and Rosalina players agree that Rosie doesn't have that much of an advantage over Ness and that at least Sonic as arguably a worse matchup.

:059:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
So we had another close set between an MK and Sheik of similar skill level.
Feel like I'm beating a dead horse at this point.
Apparently when you have a slightly disadvantaged MU you won't ever have close games against that character.

At this point its pretty much confirmed that anyone that uses mk from mid-top level considers sheik a bad matchup, anyone who doesn't use the character much if at all thinks its even because of footage,results(lol) and extreme bandwagoning.

I can see "mk going even with zss" bleeding over to this thread, then every user here will create a bandwa-general conscious: mk goes even with 2 of the best characters in the game.

I'd like to ask, who does mk lose to in your opinion. You seem to have taken an interest to this character so please enlighten me.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I'd like to ask, who does mk lose to in your opinion. You seem to have taken an interest to this character so please enlighten me.
Well if you want my opinion, he loses to ZSS, Mario, Ryu and Diddy. Pre-nerf Luigi too, not sure how much better it is for MK now.

It's not like I have as much evidence to talk about those matchups though.

Last edited:

InfinityDM

Smash Rookie
Well if you want my opinion, he loses to ZSS, Mario, Ryu and Diddy. Pre-nerf Luigi too, not sure how much better it is for MK now.

The matchup between Ryu and Meta Knight is pretty even, I would say. All of Meta Knight's multi-hit aerials make it difficult for Ryu to take advantage of his Focus Attack and the Shuttle Loop Combo is pretty freaking scary. To be fair, Ryu's damage output and killing power is insane so I'd say it is actually pretty even.

I do see why people say it's in Ryu's advantage, though. TSRK <3

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

I'm pretty confused why you think Meta Knight goes even with Sheik but loses to Mario. Everything Mario does to MK in this matchup, Sheik does better as far as I know. Can you elaborate further?

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Well if you want my opinion, he loses to Mario.
So we had another close set between an MK and Sheik of similar skill level.
Also adding onto Spinos post, if you hold results to such high regard when it comes to MK vs Sheik exclusively, then going with your logic(and 7 others since they agreed with you) Mario should not have the advantage over MK.

You have evidence for MK vs Sheik, but none for MK vs Mario a MU thats very common and has been played alot with skilled players.

The MK going even with Sheik crew in this thread, live and die from the results card which isn't sufficient as Sheik users perform better

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
The bolded was kinda my entire point. :p Both aerials are pretty easy to space so that you don't get shield-grabbed, but it became a 50/50 against faster chars like Sheik as to whether they'd try to punish you with a shield drop ---> running grab or a DA or something similar. Now that's significantly harder, even if theoretically he can still be punished in the same/similar ways.
No, you misunderstand (or maybe I worded it badly). Whether Ness spaced well or not, he wasn't punishable by a dashgrab or Ftilt and he still isn't. The opponent only had 4 frames to do something after shield drop, they have 0 now, but 4 frames still wasn't enough for any character to dashgrab. There was no 50/50 against most characters; you just spotdodged.

I guess for characters with very fast Ftilts like Sheik (f5), there was a 50/50 with dashgrab/Ftilt at some ranges which doesn't really work any more. Though Sheik is the only character with a f5 Ftilt with decent range to my knowledge.

My point being, Ness isn't escaping any sort of guaranteed punish or true 50/40 by being 4 frames safer on block. Though it's a good thing to be safer obviously, his landing aerials were always safe on block.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I can possibly imagine MK losing to Mario and Luigi if his neutral truly did solely revolve around dashing and rolling (?) everywhere until he gets a combo starter. The fact is though, this isn't the case. MK's spacing options (particularly Ftilt and Fsmash) are very effective against short-ranged characters such as the Mario Bros. and he has the walking acceleration, perfect pivot length etc. to make great use of them. We beat Luigi slightly even before the nerf.

There's plenty of matches available of the MK vs Mario matchup btw.

*Also guess who invalidates our spacing tools with their own burst mobility and superior spacing options? :4sheik:

Last edited:

PND

Smash Champion
Since the discussion seems to be on Ryu (and Mario, to a bit too)

Capital City Smash - Ottawa - 96 entrants for Smash 4 singles
http://613smash.challonge.com/CCSSingles/standings

1. Boreal| Ally :4mario: / :4miigun:
2. HoH_Venom :4ryu:
3. Boreal| HolyNightmare :4rob:
4. Bkr| BreaD :4zss:
5. DTN8| HoH_SuperGirlKels :4sonic:
5. KingKong :4bowser:
7. AoD Time :4mario:
7. Artryuu :4shulk:

Dat' character diversity tho'. Also two females in top 8 is badass, and a trend I hope to see continue.

The first set Venom and Ally played, Ally completely demolished Venom's Ryu. It was really convincing :o But Venom bucked up, ran through losers taking out SuperGirlKels, BreaD, Holy, and more, and brought grand finals to game 5 against Ally in a super tight and exciting set. Venom is improving so much, I can't wait until he goes international. This guy is super legit. (And legitimately one of the nicest and chillest smashers I've ever met, and that's saying a lot)

I'm gonna get the videos uploaded as soon as I possibly can.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Edited because ****.

Ally gives false info on Facebook all the time.

BabyRage

I assume any recording of grand finals is VODed? I want to watch Ally's Gunner vs Venom.

Last edited:

InfinityDM

Smash Rookie

Dat' character diversity tho'. Also two females in top 8 is badass, and a trend I hope to see continue.

The first set Venom and Ally played, Ally completely demolished Venom's Ryu. It was really convincing :o But Venom bucked up, ran through losers taking out SuperGirlKels, BreaD, Holy, and more, and brought grand finals to game 5 against Ally in a super tight and exciting set. Venom is improving so much, I can't wait until he goes international. This guy is super legit. (And legitimately one of the nicest and chillest smashers I've ever met, and that's saying a lot)

So freaking good to see HoH_Venom do so great. I've been following him for a while on SSBMontreal's YouTube channel and he's improved so much from when he started with Ryu. I'm surprised he beat Boreal | HolyNightmare because he never beat him on the YouTube channel if I recall correctly so it's great to see him finally win.

HoH_Venom will be a serious threat if he comes to one of the bigger tournaments, I think.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

Hold the phone, Shulk in top 8? What sorcery is this?

I mean, I'm not complaining in the slightest, but it's really surprising to see him so high in the results. Does Canada just not have any experience fighting Shulk or did he do something new and fancy and exciting or what?

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692

I mean, I'm not complaining in the slightest, but it's really surprising to see him so high in the results. Does Canada just not have any experience fighting Shulk or did he do something new and fancy and exciting or what?
Artryuu Artryuu is a solid Shulk, i fought her a while ago & she was very good.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924

It's pretty much a local, and almost all of the Ottawa PR didn't seem to be in attendance. And yes, Canada locals are that large a lot of the time.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Like I said before, Shulk isn't that bad. Low-mid tier/unviable yes but not some irredeemably bad top 5 bottom tier trash that can't possibly get anything done.

[Neither is Bowser for that matter. This just in because I've seen good ol' @KingKong_ad in top 6 and a lot of people seem to think Bowser's completely worthless].

extrasensory

Smash Cadet
in what matchup(s) did ally use mii gunner or was it just sandbagging? i am still sort of interested in gunner's potential though playing with default height / weight makes the character feel pretty crap...

edit: didn't read properly. i can see the character doing well against ryu much for the same reason as villager, will have to check footage to see if it was successful or not though

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It wasn't. Regardless of the height of Gunner, Venom was able to take him from basically 0 to death percent with one well executed string, then up tilt shoryu for the finisher at 90.

Thems the Ryu life.

Ally also has learned the Ryu MU, he did much better vs Venom than he did vs Mr. R's Ryu sometime ago, he's putting a lot more down air in his game to stop focus attack shenanigans, it's working well.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Like I said before, Shulk isn't that bad. Low-mid tier/unviable yes but not some irredeemably bad top 5 bottom tier trash that can't possibly get anything done.

[Neither is Bowser for that matter. This just in because I've seen good ol' @KingKong_ad in top 6 and a lot of people seem to think Bowser's completely worthless].

Speaking from experience fighting that same Shulk, Shulk loses to shield, particularly against characters who have good mobility and throw games. As long as you realize this and work around the 15 seconds Shulk takes in Shield Monado, which he cannot use if he needs to viably approach you, he is incredibly simple to beat.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Nice to see Artryuu put in that Monado work. Really wanted to watch but homework.~ Both of her losses were 1-2, so it should be interesting to watch later.

@ Shulk vs Shields: Yeah his grab range really doesn't do him a lot of favors there. Speed and Jump's mobility to get grabs/cross-ups and Buster's relative safety on shield plus dat shield damage do help to alleviate the problem a little bit though.

EDIT: Saw Artryuu's fight with Venom and it doesn't look like her fight with King Kong was streamed. Honestly didn't get much out of it. Game 1 was just messy, game 2 was Shulk doing Shulk things and game 3 was Ryu doing Ryu things. Wonder why Artryuu didn't shut off buster while she was getting elbowed though. The defense penalty isn't huge but it definitely adds up when you're getting combo'd.

Last edited:

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
Yeah I was pretty much saying the same thing, I shoulda switched shield art ((and smash Di down to counter ((Which I've done before to Venom)) : [. I'm so sad my fight with King Kong wasn't streamed. 2-1 : (. Got side b'd bowsercided both in our las stocks. : / pretty much what happened last game with Venom happened again vs king kong. Having a stock lead then I just mess up somehow. eh.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone Also, Canada is considered to be the land of shulks xD. We have too many shulks.
But only two make results in nationals. Jerm and me. Ally has a shulk too.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent

Honestly I think it's REALLY hard to not have like, any competitive use at all, even if the use is very specific. Like, to be THAT bad in 4 requires REALLY poor fortune I think, which is why you can see so many of the lesser used characters as secondaries or being the boss of locals/regionals (rarely). It obviously funnels down at a top level (as with any fighting game, really) but it's pretty impressive.

I don't even think it's all in the kits of the characters, I think this game's mechanics are simple enough to the point of where even the weaker characters can outplay and do things so long as the MU isn't utter trash (it usually isn't.) Obv. there's exceptions but it's pretty impressive, really.

We can't even agree on a bottom 5 in this game because we say that and then something comes and proves it wrong or challenges it. I think that's pretty incredible in its own right.

Solo viability is still really rare in this game, but as far as dual maining/secondaries go, that's when your options greatly, greatly diversify. And you know? It's like that in a lot of good competitive fighting games, especially if your roster is big. If they do trim down the tops I won't mind, I think we're in a good spot but if they want to remove the cheese (?) that exists they can, but as far as I'm concerned, most of the cast is usable in some way, shape, or form, in varying frequencies (based on player by player)

Last edited:

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
What other results does Ron have to back-up the claim that is he likely the best player of both :4mario: / :4luigi:?
Ron is the best Wi-fi player by a significant margin. In the Tamisuma Wi-Fi tournament series, he has won 10 of the tournaments and has 114 points, the second highest player, KEN, a top Japanese Sonic who plays offline who has gotten top 8 at Umebura, only has 3 tournament wins and 77 points despite participating in around the same number of tournaments. Ron has victories over the likes of Earth, Taranito, Yoshidora, KEN, and Tsu-.
He is also the undisputed king of Sumamate, the Japanese smash ladder. Counting the current season, in which he has a significant lead already, he's 1st for 5 consecutive seasons. His current season record is 130-24. This isn't playing against whoever, these are consecutive wins against top Japanese players like KEN, Aki, Hayato, taranito, Yusan, Shu, and FILIP.
Japan's best offline Mario (at least before yesterday), FILIP, was at the same tournament and lost to Ron, placing 4th. Although he has gotten Top 6 at Sumabato before, he's not too consistent in doing so, he ended his past 3 tournaments Top 48.
Considering that the current "best" Mario doesn't usually do amazing and that the only good Japanese Luigi, Aki, dropped him for Sheik, I think it's reasonable to say that Ron is simultaneously the best Mario, Luigi, and Doc in Japan.
Ron is going to the next Sumabato in December, we'll see how he does in a bigger tournament then.

Last edited:

BreaD-

Smash Rookie
It's pretty much a local, and almost all of the Ottawa PR didn't seem to be in attendance. And yes, Canada locals are that large a lot of the time.
it was a regional (96 entrants and like 90% of the Montreal PR showed up including supergirlkels, ally, holy and venom). Obviously it wasn't a super stacked tournament but it wasn't ''free'' by any means

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945

You can deff catch this lol ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Speaking from experience fighting that same Shulk, Shulk loses to shield, particularly against characters who have good mobility and throw games. As long as you realize this and work around the 15 seconds Shulk takes in Shield Monado, which he cannot use if he needs to viably approach you, he is incredibly simple to beat.
Tomahawks are great for people holding shield. I agree tho, shield can indeed shut down a lot of Shulk's stuff.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think I've also said that before already but shield generally shuts down a lot of stuff in general in this game. It's not as much a matter of "xy being bad against shield" as a matter of shields being super-powerful in this game.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
it was a regional (96 entrants and like 90% of the Montreal PR showed up including supergirlkels, ally, holy and venom). Obviously it wasn't a super stacked tournament but it wasn't ''free'' by any means
Ah, ok. I was looking at what I saw from the Ottawa PR list. I didn't really recognize anyone underneath top 6, but I guess Montreal doesn't travel en masse to Ontario too often?

BreaD-

Smash Rookie
Ah, ok. I was looking at what I saw from the Ottawa PR list. I didn't really recognize anyone underneath top 6, but I guess Montreal doesn't travel en masse to Ontario too often?
its mostly just ally and holy that travels to Toronto, Ottawa is 2hours away from Montreal and Toronto is 7hours away from Montreal. So it's a noticeable distance difference

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801

Thats kind of a bold statement dont you think? Isnt this his very first offline tournament and it doesn't appear to be a very stacked region of Japan. All he really did was did was beat the lesser Japanese Peach and 9B. Its also not the first time Mario has beaten Ryu at higher levels. Zenyou and Anti both beat Trela IIRC.

Its also possible his style caught 9B off guard.
Kie is not a "lesser Japanese Peach". He lost some interest in Smash 4 at some point, but lately he has been running very strong again. Although he lost to Ron in Losers, he did beat him in Winners, which is no small feat. Kie is really good.

Ron is considered a very strong player in Japan, albeit online he is a dominating presence. I have some Japanese players on my Twitter and my Twitter flooded with tweets praising him. I have no doubt he must be an exceptionally strong player.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
In other news, Link made it into a top 5 in the European tournament Eclipse, Toon Link made it into top 8. Christian Johnston (Ryu/Link) and Snasen (Toon Link) made it into 5 and 8 respectively. But to see Link in a top 8 thing wouldn't be conceivable now, would it?

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
In other news, Link made it into a top 5 in the European tournament Eclipse, Toon Link made it into top 8. Christian Johnston (Ryu/Link) and Snasen (Toon Link) made it into 5 and 8 respectively. But to see Link in a top 8 thing wouldn't be conceivable now, would it?
Which sets did Christian use Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom