• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightLV

Smash Ace
L LightLV

The issue is that the top characters dont often need to shield against the heavies, they simply outmanuever them, stuff them, or camp them with projectiles. On the other hand, the heavies need a good shield to prevent constant harrasment.

Unless you are suggesting simply buffing a few heavies moves so they hurt shields more/pushback shields more, which would be fine by me.
Well what i was getting at was they wouldn't necessarily need to implement it on a by-character basis. Like the shield lag formula, shield knockback scales with damage (and likely KB values) and thus would already be something that only high-damage attacks would benefit from, which are typically bound to heavy characters. Brawl and Melee allowed characters like Ganondorf to get away with landing a Bair/Fair, and even rewarded them with frame advantage/a free hit if the opponent tumbles off the ledge.

There isn't really a winning strategy in Smash 4 that relies on hitting shields, not even for Sheik. But the ability to hit a shield safely with choice moves would undoubtedly be a buff for heavier hitters because it gives them a respectable option when they finally DO get in, whether the hit connects or not. When it comes to heavyweights...the heavyweight attacker should be rewarded (within reason) and put in an advantageous situation if blocked. It's the tradeoff for having a harder time getting in.

It's all about adding respectable options and balance to the neutral. It seems like a small thing, but it's really quite significant. For example, when speedy characters hit shield with choice moves, they are able to space it in a way where they can get away. Their pressure is in their superior neutral game. The opponent is never too far away from getting caught. Most even have projectiles to assist them. When a heavy character hits a shield with choice moves, they should at the very least gain some stage control, or safely damage the shield health of the opponent, thus building pressure for the next time they block a hit. If their back is to the platform edge or wall, this allows them to capitalize on establishing map control. This inherently buffs their other CQC and conditioning options because the defender is put at risk if they choose to defend.

Of course, dodge rolling is still an option, but this is at no detriment to the attacker. Perfect Shielding and Sidestepping aere also options, but so are baits and grabs.

Buuuutt...it stands now though, like you said, heavies need a good shield to prevent constant harassment. But their opponent has that exact same shield, equipped with the same options as yours. Factor in fact that many of these characters also have oppressive projectiles, and it just comes down to the game giving you nothing to compensate other than rage, making you fight an uphill battle where you can only pray your opponent makes a grave mistake.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
With the new shieldstun mechanics, most heavies have a safe shield pressure aerial that actually wears down shields faster than top tiers... bowsers fair is an exception, but his command grab is strong to offer him uniquely good shield pressure.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I would ask for a better grab range before asking for a kill throw. I've missed so many grabs of people standing right in front of me. Too used to Palutena's grab range I guess, which sometimes I have to question how something grabbed with her.
Grab range means nothing if you get nothing out of it. You're better off hitting a shield with safe moves and threatening to pop it. Ganon would benefit from a kill throw more.

Megamang

Smash Lord
...No they don't.

Safe

Wear down shields fast

Pick one.

Dk bair? Ive heard talk ganons fair is now safe on shield? Rob nair, DDD bair?

Now, often these moves have strong counterplay, but they dont all drop dead to shields.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ganon already gets 10+ damage off his throws alone. With his combo ability in the low-mid percents getting a better grab would definitely help his neutral game.

Those moves also don't obliterate shields. Ike also has N-Air, B-Air and F-Air which are perfectly safe when conditions are met but you aren't going to be popping shields like balloons.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Ganon already gets 10+ damage off his throws alone. With his combo ability in the low-mid percents getting a better grab would definitely help his neutral game.

Those moves also don't obliterate shields. Ike also has N-Air, B-Air and F-Air which are perfectly safe when conditions are met but you aren't going to be popping shields like balloons.
I just said they do the shield damage thing better than some top tiers. I didnt say anywhere shields would be popping like balloons, that would make a terrible game.

Edit: servers are undergoing maintenence. Is this normal, or is a patch about to drop?

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Except they still don't because they can't use their options as freely as top tiers, and top tiers have stronger mix-ups and more options so they get more out of shield pressure.

Maints are normal.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
L LightLV

The issue is that the top characters dont often need to shield against the heavies, they simply outmanuever them, stuff them, or camp them with projectiles. On the other hand, the heavies need a good shield to prevent constant harrasment.

Unless you are suggesting simply buffing a few heavies moves so they hurt shields more/pushback shields more, which would be fine by me.
I think DK and Bowser don't need buffs.

Outside of all of DK's grab stuff, heavies are relatively simple characters. They should be viable, but they can't be too good because if they were as good as the top tiers everyone would just play heavies due to having the same effectiveness but easier to use.

DK and Bowser already fulfill their viability conditions. They have good range, which puts the burden on the opponent to out manoeuvre them rather than just trade. Both of them are heavy and reliably kill before 100, which means they can afford to lose neutral more than their opponent and still win the stock.

People who want these two characters buffed (people still do want DK buffed believe it or not) just don't want to have to work for wins. They always complain about neutral, but neutral and DIing in disadvantage is where the skill to playing heavies is supposed to be. They have everything else easier than the rest of the cast.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
People want DK buffed and they also want DK nerfed for various stupid reasons. Anyone who asks for either probably doesn't understand the game on a competitive level.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
There are some minor areas of polish I wouldn't mind seeing on DK. I'd like to see him be a little more safe on hit, and I'd fix the fair AC window. DK's problems are a little more structural (People shutting him out in a way, a tad like Luigi), so I suspect it would actually be difficult to overbuff DK without doing something comprehensive or radical.

Bowser is significantly worse off, as supported by results. I'm not familiar enough with his matchup dynamics to say too much, but the juggle/disadvantage issue seems to be disproportionate.

Fun trivia: One BBrawl change we tested that didn't work out (too radical) was a very brief window of super armor on down-b startup, including in the air. Spooky spooky!

More fun trivia: "Tough Guy" was also a BBrawl change we tested internally, no joke.

Random change proposal of the day: Whirling Fortress, Wizard's Foot, Warlock Punch, Falcon Punch, Jet Hammer, and Header (melee headbutt) reflect projectiles.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Fortress and Warlock are already doing their jobs imo. Fortress being Bower's fastest (?) move on the ground and usable OoS, and Warlock Punch already having super armor is kind of better than reflecting (wouldn't want to knock that pesky megaman away before the punch comes out) and its such an absurd reward on hit.

I can imagine that would be hilarious vs trapping projectiles like ZSS, Ness or Robin.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
There are some minor areas of polish I wouldn't mind seeing on DK. I'd like to see him be a little more safe on hit, and I'd fix the fair AC window. DK's problems are a little more structural (People shutting him out in a way, a tad like Luigi), so I suspect it would actually be difficult to overbuff DK without doing something comprehensive or radical.

Bowser is significantly worse off, as supported by results. I'm not familiar enough with his matchup dynamics to say too much, but the juggle/disadvantage issue seems to be disproportionate.

Fun trivia: One BBrawl change we tested that didn't work out (too radical) was a very brief window of super armor on down-b startup, including in the air. Spooky spooky!

More fun trivia: "Tough Guy" was also a BBrawl change we tested internally, no joke.

Random change proposal of the day: Whirling Fortress, Wizard's Foot, Warlock Punch, Falcon Punch, Jet Hammer, and Header (melee headbutt) reflect projectiles.
Bowser is actually much better at landing than DK. People with Bowser experience tend not to pressure him too much after low percents because of how easy he can kill you from disadvantage.

Bowser has less results because he doesn't have any rep. Now that King Kong is back into Smash he's getting top 5-8 placings in Canada, losing to people like Holy and Ally.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. No one who versus proper Bowsers think this character is low tier. They mostly all agree he's around mid.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Everyone needs to stop thinking this is true, it only happens if you get grabbed near the ledge and DI closer towards the offstage during the combo, DI boost kick wrong, or DI towards platforms at around 15-25% letting ZSS extend her up airs. It's not a killing combo without the victim killing themselves with bad DI.
If you grab people close enough to the ledge it will kill even if the DI in.
Also if ZSS has rage it can kill (whether just straight off the top from initial hits or off the side).

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
If you grab people close enough to the ledge it will kill even if the DI in.
Also if ZSS has rage it can kill (whether just straight off the top from initial hits or off the side).
I should've excluded above moderate rage, Jigglypuff and G&W. Regarding rageless bnb on non-featherweight characters though:

There are some extremely specific percent ranges for big characters where they die to this before they can escape it by holding up, but even in those scenarios where they get grabbed that close to the ledge they can just DI towards the blastzone in which case ZSS will also lose her stock if she chooses to go for the up b at the end.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
People who actually use the term footsies in Smash are few and far between, spacing is used much more often and for good reason. Same goes for actually understanding those terms. People who choose to say footsies, or in general make comparisons to other fighters which seldom get the point across and which few will even understand, give off the feeling "look there's this other thing that's not really related to what we're talking about but I know something about it and therefore I will bring it up".
Not gonna lie, didn't hear the term footsies till I came to this thread.

:150:

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I always focus on DI-ing the final hit, knowing that I can avoid it entirely is a nice thing to see.

There's some ZSS mains here in MI, I should study the MU a little more.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Quick question/topic of interest. Has Pit been solidified as having mostly even'ish MUs related to his solid overall game? I'm in the market for a Swiss Army secondary and while i put in some time with Mario i feel like Pit might better jibe with my style as a Duck Hunt player.

Plus i haven't heard much about Pit lately and haven't seen much of him so it's also general curiousity on the angel boy.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
I seriously want to just commend everybody on the insane rise in quality posting for the past few pages. You guys have been great!

Special thanks to the admins (especially Thinkaman Thinkaman ) for getting involved and controlling the posts.

On another note, Pit's stance in the whole metagame confuses me because Earth is literally the only person doing REALLY well with the character, very similar to Pikachu with ESAM, but it's obvious he has great tools and an overall gameplan. Is he a top 20 or even top 15 character?

Last edited:

Mr. ShinyUmbreon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0576-7060-3860
Quick question/topic of interest. Has Pit been solidified as having mostly even'ish MUs related to his solid overall game? I'm in the market for a Swiss Army secondary and while i put in some time with Mario i feel like Pit might better jibe with my style as a Duck Hunt player.

Plus i haven't heard much about Pit lately and haven't seen much of him so it's also general curiousity on the angel boy.
he's a solid character, he can go hand to hand with most of the top tiers, but his worst matchups are ZSS and Sonic, fox is also a unfavorable, but not as bad as the other two. He has a lot of useful tools at his disposal, one of the longest distance recoveries (2nd in the game If I recall) safe disjoints, a homing projectile (that doesn't suck unlike :4samus:) and a good grab game. He's mostly seen as high mid tier with Rob and Greninja, he could potentially be low high tier, but only time will tell. He doesn't get a whole lot of representation sadly.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
Or just give heavyweights the ability to reflect projectiles on powershield like in Melee. Maybe decrease their damage by x0.8 or x0.5.

With the new shieldstun mechanics, most heavies have a safe shield pressure aerial that actually wears down shields faster than top tiers... bowsers fair is an exception, but his command grab is strong to offer him uniquely good shield pressure.
Unless you're Ryu, or your opponent decides to block stomp specials, you are breaking nobody's shield in this game. And safe-on-shield aerial pressure is not a thing for these characters, new shieldstun or no.

People who want these two characters buffed (people still do want DK buffed believe it or not) just don't want to have to work for wins. They always complain about neutral, but neutral and DIing in disadvantage is where the skill to playing heavies is supposed to be. They have everything else easier than the rest of the cast.
You're only one good match with a decent player away from changing your mind.

Also, on my original point on shieldpush and stage control

https://youtu.be/TbeliMBiJEE?t=244

This is the kind of BS that just shouldn't happen. In any other game, Bowser would have been forced back off the stage. In this game, he just punishes and completely reverses stage control. It's pretty lame. All preference to the defender, none to the attacker.

Granted Ganon probably shouldn't have tried that, but still, its an option that he would have had in Melee/Brawl that was taken away. That match was filled with situations like those, where previously pressure would have been established but the defender just walks away and resets.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I seriously want to just commenc everybody on the insane rise in quality posting for the past few pages. You guys have been great!

Special thanks to the admins ( especially Thinkaman Thinkaman ) for getting involved and controlling the posts.

On another note, Pit's stance in the whole metagame confuses me because Earth is literally the only person doing REALLY well with the character, very similar to Pikachu with ESAM, but it's obvious he has great tools and an overall gameplan. Is he a top 20 or even top 15 character?
Easily top 20. Maybe top 15? He's really good, but his match ups against top tiers are okay.

If you want pit as a secondary, go for it. He's really solid, and the only thing really required to play him are good fundamentals. I don't really think he covers DH's bad MUs really well. He does ok against top tiers, but has a little harder time with sheik, ZSS, Fox, Sonic, and Pikachu. Ebony Pit does well against :rosalina:, and goes around even with:4mario::4metaknight::4ryu:

:150:

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I seriously want to just commenc everybody on the insane rise in quality posting for the past few pages. You guys have been great!

Special thanks to the admins ( especially Thinkaman Thinkaman ) for getting involved and controlling the posts.

If I'm honest, Pit strikes me as similar to Mario in terms of well-roundedness but with less representation :/

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Only gonna comment on Dedede, because that's pretty much the only character I feel I'm really qualified to discuss in-depth...but I would rather his Inhale (and by extension, Kirby's) be allowed as a pseudo-pocket, where inhaling a projectile would have them waddle around like they just ate someone until they spit it out. It would be a huge commitment, but as long as spitting out the star had a relevant damage multiplier on it, it could be an incredibly useful tool. Moreso for Dedede as his struggles with projectiles are well-documented. Plus this is something that you can actually do in the Kirby games. :p

Of course Dedede's inhale would also probably need a few frames shaved off the start-up for it to be useful, but eh...

Allowing his ftilt to be clankable again (ala Brawl) would be another good way to address these problems, as he could better control the space around him and deal with projectile pressure in a meaningful way.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Why is it even a thing? Makes NO sense to me.

Maybe it's the fact that I enjoy long matches?
simple, tournaments have to end in a timely manner. BO1 is a necessary evil so Grand finals isn't in the next day

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I can't speak for Pac-Man, but I don't think Pit has a gatekeeper. He has a few matchups that he doesn't really want to get involved in (Sonic, Sheik and ZSS come to mind), but nothing that he can't win with a bit of grit and elbow grease. I don't think there's any single character that stunts his potential viability. He doesn't really commit to one gameplan, he's got pretty decent options for most matchups: versatile kit, decent frame data, great (if somewhat gimpable) recovery, a pretty good projectile, good mobility, pivot options and grab reward that helps his footsies game - he doesn't really play one consistent game, so there's nothing that can really counter him in the traditional sense.

I don't think Pit gets mediocre results because he has a gatekeeper keeping him out. I don't think that's the issue, and I think most Pit players will agree with me. The issue here (you've heard this before; feel free to skip the rest of this paragraph if you're tired of Wintropy's Pit rants) is that, because he doesn't commit to one gameplan or distinguish himself in any impressive way, he doesn't counter anybody either. I don't think there's a single character that thinks, "Oh, whoah, Pit! I can't beat him!" His diverse options and ability to play footsies well means he can be a very good character in the hands of a player with good fundamentals; but because of that, there's really no reason why you should play Pit at top-level except for reasons of character loyalty or as a reliable pocket. If you want a character that can reflect your fundamentals and has the options to play footsies with most of the cast, if you want a safe, comfortable all-rounder that's good at most things but doesn't have traditionally great options - why not just play Sheik? She does have great options and she is the safest character in the game in terms of matchup spread. If you're a top player and you have great fundamentals, why go for the weaker option to reflect those fundamentals?

The thing keeping Pit out, in my opinion, isn't other characters: it's Pit himself. There's not really much incentive to main him if you just want a safe, reliable character, because there are other characters safer and more reliable than him, and everybody at the top knows it. Nairo only brings out (Dark) Pit as a pocket or for fun, I don't think he's ever brought him out for grand finals in a national because he knows other characters (ZSS or, hell, Doc!) counter other characters better than Pit does. Even the undisputed best Pit main on the planet, Earth, pockets Fox in case he needs the matchup advantage. Pit can in theory win even his worst matchups, but there comes a time when you're just forcing yourself to play the character because you want to play the character. That's great and it's fine for certain people, but for others, they want to win and they want a character that will help them win. Pit can provide that, but he doesn't provide it in a quantity sufficient to make him stand out within a sea of high-tier characters with equally good fundamentals and even better matchups. That's what I think holds Pit back, and it's why I think that he will remain a consistent character with respectable results, but - short of Earth moving to the US or another top Pit main coming out of the woodwork to make waves in nationals - he won't be anything more than just a good, honest character.
Earth reckons he gets bopped by Sonic too. He says it's Pit's worst matchup (and might contribute to why he carries Fox with him), and considering he gets to play Komokiri on a regular basis, I'd believe him.

I can see where he's coming from. Pit has no options to really challenge Sonic in neutral, he outruns Pit's arrows, he can challenge Pit's recovery and his speed makes it difficult for Pit to play footsies with him. You're still going to want to grab if possible, but Sonic's a slippery 'hog and that mitigates one of Pit's best options in neutral. Disjoints can be useful here, and Pit's probably going to want to play defensively in this matchup, but I don't think he really has anything to outright threaten Sonic.

This is a common theme for Pit, to be honest: he's got good options for dealing with anything and he doesn't get outright dropkicked by any of the top-tiers, but he doesn't have anything to make them sweat either. Pit has the tools to beat them and he will never get bodied on the CSS, but it requires consistency and, more often than not, a knack for outplaying the other guy. It's possible, but not something most top players want to deal with.
So is it a matter of quantity over quality (if you have more bad matchups than somebody else, you're weaker?) That makes sense and honestly goes without saying, but what quantity of bad matchups do you need to cross the threshold of non-viability? What is the exact number of bad matchups necessary, inherent in the phrase "most of the top-tiers"?

If it's based on matchup spread, then Pit is theoretically solo viable, because he has (that we know of) no unwinnable matchups, just irritating ones. I don't think he has any matchups worse than -2, and conversely, none better than +2 (I think both are very rare). The reason he isn't solo mained by players is because...why would you when you can just play a character with a similar matchup spread, but more skewed towards wins?

If it's a case of "he hasn't done anything" - well, that kind of ties back into the idea that the character requires a fine degree of loyalty to be consistent. Not very many players have exhibited that distinction (Earth is probably the closest, being a player who has good results with Pit, but I recall that he has a pocket Fox too); yet in theory, it is possible. In that case, it seems to be desire that's holding him back. If one or two dedicated solo Pit mains began to stir things up in regionals and majors, would that be sufficient to validate the theory?

I'm not saying Pit is or isn't solo viable (I don't know and frankly I don't care either way), I'm just interested in getting to know the method behind the madness.
Pit goes even (or near enough to matter) with most of the characters here. He doesn't necessarily beat any of them (he might beat Mario, maybe Falcon depending on the nature of the matchup, some people think he beats Diddy and Ness might be a special case where a very good Pit can shut down most of what Ness can do), but none of these characters make him sweat. I think he struggles a bit with Sheik, ZSS and Sonic, maybe Meta Knight and Rosie if it's vanilla Pit instead of Dark Pit, but none of these are very bad matchups. Everything here is doable. Not fun, but doable.
It saddens me that Pit doesn't even get mentioned in some of these Top Whatever theories, even when most people have agreed he's very solid and has no absolute roadblock matchups. Is the dearth of good Pit representation in the US really that damning?

It's true that Pit was changed quite substantially between Brawl and Smash 4. I never played Brawl competitively and I didn't care for Pit back then, but what I can say is that the changes, while weakening his moveset in theory, ensure that Pit's a more balanced character.

The removal of gliding is a big deal in this game. I remember Meta Knight's reveal on the official Smash website, and my brother's disdain at the prospect of the character returning. Even as non-competitive players, the masked devil's reputation preceded him, and neither of us were particularly excited by the idea that we'd have to put up with his shenanigans again. What caught my eye was the comment explicitly made by Sakurai regarding the character's up-b: Shuttle Loop, Sakurai explained, now only spins once and doesn't confirm into glide. It was a subtle yet significant detail, which suggested to me that balancing the most controversial issues in Brawl was a high priority in this game. Even for a casual player base, Meta Knight was a frustrating experience and very easy to abuse in friendly play. The fact that Sakurai was willing to remove an entire gameplay rmechanic for the sake of balance made me realise what I had known in theory for some time: balance is a very detailed and radical process.

Bear in mind that Sakurai and the dev team consider every facet of play when determining what needs to be balanced: casual play has just as much of an impact on balance as competitive play/ (if not more so, much to chagrin of this thread). As a casual player, I remember thinking how abusable Pit's specials were: arrow camping, two decent reflect options with good frame data and an incredible recovery in addition to gliding made Pit a very frustrating character in casual play. If your opponent wanted to just stand at the other side of the stage and zone you out, you had to either respect their options or try to get into Pit's space and beat his face in. Thing is, he didn't have especially great options in close-range combat, so even from a casual perspective, his moveset felt imbalanced. He was incredibly frustrating from a certain perspective and totally underwhelming in others. The fact that Pit had the option to just camp out under the stage with his up-b speaks for itself.

Pit in Smash 4 seems to be designed with "moderation" as the founding philosophy. His specials were changed significantly to mitigate their ease of use in casual play:

- Arrows can't be controlled to the same extent, thereby weakening his camping game

- Side-b is now a kill move that increases Pit's kill power at the cost of ease of use, which fits well into the idea that Pit is a more methodical and precise character in this game

- Up-b isn't absolutely stupid and is definitely the most radical change to Pit's moveset, it's still useful as a recovery and is easy for new player to get comfortable with how recoveries function in Smash

- Down-b is slower and therefore doesn't have the same practicality as a reflector, but it now shields both sides, has a wider area of coverage and projects a windbox to make it useful as an edgeguarding option; it absorbs damage, but the fact that it can be broken means it isn't an infallible defense option, so it can't be propped up indefinitely in casual play

What we need to consider here is that the "nerf" (if you want to be so blithe about it) to his specials have been designed within the context of a greater revamp to his moveset. If his specials have been weakened, it's to balance out the changes to his normals. Pit doesn't rely on any one option over the other, he can't just stay back and camp out the opponent. Since he can't do that, he has to be able to fight close-range, which he now can thanks to improvements to his disjoints and a better combo game. If Pit in Brawl is a zoney camper with two reflect options and a great recovery, Pit in Smash 4 is a more balanced creature, a swordfighter with a projectile and a variety of options to keep him consistent in every facet, rather than specialising in one thing at the cost of everything else.

The results speak for themselves. Pit in Brawl is a nuisance in casual play and very easy to play the camping game with, but in competitive play, he doesn't really factor into the relevant itinerary of the meta. Pit in Smash 4 is relatively weak in casual play, since he doesn't have exceptional options to power his way through his opponents (Sakurai even said he thinks Pit is "below average" in this game), but his great fundamentals and ability to reflect the player's practical consistency means he's widely agreed to be a high-tier character. I'd rather a consistent fighter with decent options, but nothing absolutely overt, than a character that relies on one or two options to the detriment of everything else.

Jack of all trades, master of none; often much better than simply the one.
Yes, I think Pit is solo-viable in that he doesn't have any "unwinnable" matchups. There's nothing that will make you tear your hair out and eat it from sheer unbridled rage.

No, I don't think Pit has anything going for him beyond consistency. It's true that he has even-ish matchups with most of the cast (even the relevant characters) and is great at changing his strategies on the fly, but he can't cheese his way to victory. You need to outplay your opponent more often than not.

Yes, Pit has a great recovery in terms of distance and ability to return to the stage. He has two if you count side-b.

No, it isn't impossible to gimp and more people need to try doing this. A good Pit will weigh up their options and recover in the optimal direction to ensure it minimises the danger of getting gimped, but it doesn't mean you're a bad Pit if you do get gimped. Pro tip: side-b can be gimped. Try it!

Yes, I think Pit is as good as Greninja in terms of potential viability.

No, I don't think there's any reason to compare the two beyond that.

Yes, it's possible Pit has an even or near-even matchup with Sheik (disclaimer: POSSIBLE, not proven).

No, that doesn't make him a top-tier threat because ZSS and Pikachu still do wicked things to him.
Pit does have something going for him. Pit has everything going for him: good frame data, combo potential, a versatile kit, off-stage prowess, a useful projectile and solid grab options and followups. What he doesn't have is anything that's really exceptional. That means he's good at everything, but he isn't great. You're right, in a sense: he doesn't have Captain Falcon's combo game or Villager's projectiles. He has a bit of both, but neither in the same extreme quantity.

In theory, this means Pit is a weak character, because he has no exceptional strengths. That said, the inverse of this is equally true: because he doesn't commit to any one type of playstyle, he has no distinguished weaknesses either. This means that he has to play to outwit and outpace the opponent, rather than rushing them down or keeping on pressure. Pit is solid in neutral, with good footsies bolstered by a quick three-hit jab, good pivot options with his tilts and grab, solid airs for spacing and strong combo potential. He has a relatively even matchup spread because of this: he doesn't have the overt strength to counter others, yet he doesn't have the fatal weaknesses to be countered either. Don't be so quick to write him off as the kind of fighter who's "okay at everything, good at nothing": he's definitely good at everything in his own way and has no abject weaknesses, which means he can play on reaction and has decent options for keeping his opponents out. That in itself is a very good strength to have. Pit needs good fundamentals to be, himself, good.

That's kind of the reason you don't see very many pros use Pit: he just doesn't have the distinguished strengths that others do, which means his matchups can and quite often do come down to "how well can I outplay this guy?" The difference is that, with Pit, you won't get the same reward for outplaying the opponent that you do with stronger characters, but you don't get punished the same way for getting outplayed either. Captain Falcon may have his combos, but his disadvantage state is very weak and he can't react well to pressure himself; Villager may have their projectiles, but an opponent that can get into their space can make it difficult for them to react. It's a matter of playing to your strengths and mitigating your weaknesses. Pit can still play to his strengths without having to worry about mitigating his weaknesses in the same way.

I don't want to go into too much detail, because I want this to be a very superficial "beginner's guide to Pit". This is just the basics of why Pit is considered a high-tier character. If you want to examine it in greater detail, I'd suggest going to the Pit board or watching footage of any of the top Pits (Nairo, Earth, Pink Fresh, Technology) play.

I've gathered some of my most recent thoughts on Pit and his potential viability as a character, since I figured it'd be more efficient than reiterating everything off the top of my head. Hopefully it will be of benefit to somebody~

outfoxd outfoxd Mili Mili

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Honestly, can you really call Mario well-rounded when he excels in at least two areas compared to the rest of the cast?
Mario is the well rounded mma fighter that possesses one or two qualities that are more exceptional than middling that allows him to be at the top of the division. Like a superb grappler with functional striking.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honestly, can you really call Mario well-rounded when he excels in at least two areas compared to the rest of the cast?
Mario is a well-rounded Brawler, and Pit is a well-rounded Swordfighter. Swordfighters generally have average attributes in movement and attack speed if they're on the quicker end, making Pit seem like a true all-rounder.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
It has less range, and the Brawl sourspot let the opponent in a very bad position.
Smash 4 Ftilt is pretty good, but Brawl's was much better.
:196:
Honestly just having Brawl's ftilt with the ability to do pivot tilts would be incredible. It wouldn't fix all of Dedede's problems but he would have better spacing and defensive play.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Honestly just having Brawl's ftilt with the ability to do pivot tilts would be incredible. It wouldn't fix all of Dedede's problems but he would have better spacing and defensive play.
That, and his old Bair. Seriously, it was his best move period (even better than his huge grab). Just with that his Neutral game wouldn't be so terrible like it is right now.
He might not be Top 15 like in Brawl, but he would at least be a solid mid tier.
:196:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom