• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
To be honest with you, when a character is so underplayed that i can barely answer the question of why the character is that bad aside from " He's just a superheavy " ( As in, he has the flaws that many character of this weight class have ) , i'd rather just say this character is in the realm of Low tier just because of lackluster results & as some of the users in here already mentionned, "lackluster top & high tier matchups". Aside from that, I don't know anything about Zard except the basics of the character, hence why i'd usually retire from any discussion about Charizard's viability
When you dig a bit deeper into people's thoughts on Charizard, you'll soon notice a lack of knowledge on the character, even the basics such as all the pros & cons are sometimes unknown., and you can't really blame them, since it's not their fault fo not knowing the character when he's so obscure in the metagame.
This may lead into bad stigmas & misconceptions that will put the character lower than he should be.
That's what i've been experiencing for a while as a Doc main, and it still happens ( arguments over Doc's superior edgeguarding abilities over Mario, the niche of the character in the metagame, the list goes on )
As a Gunner main, I am definitely no stranger to this problem. Even after ROM's great performance at Smash@SCU and his good performance at Genesis 3, mii gunner still has to deal with being perceived as a bad character due to circular reasoning (the "mii gunner is bad because mii gunner is bad" argument). It also doesn't help with matchup discussions since most people either don't have matchup experience with gunner or don't care to discuss the matchup. Hopefully more exposure will come to these obscure characters with time.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Metaknight is one of those characters that is a monster when he's optimized. Like Fox, Sheik, and ZSS, this character can bat you around until chunks of your brain fall out your nose if the player has a strong knowledge of character specific % knockback and set ups. Like the others I listed, the chances of gimping let alone edgeguarding him is fairly slim in most circumstances so that common dilema of most characters of "oh crap, how do I get back to the stage" is largely irrelevant, allowing their respective players to primarily focus their efforts on the stage because that worry won't be there unless they severely screw up off stage.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I think Charizard is solid (mediocre) in this game. He has a lot of cool stuff, but strangely enough he's "too honest". What do I mean by that? Sakurai gave DK and Bowser ridiculous combo throws that can rack up 30% and more just from one grab, while his is so tame, and it bothers me SO MUCH.

This notion that Zard is bottom 5 is dumb, still. That notion is really outdated, and it bothers me. He has a lot more going for him than that. uggh.

He's very similar to :4shulk: in that if he was fully optimized he'd still be like mid at best. He'd be no secret top tier (obviously) Character loyalty is the only way his meta will progress and he just doesn't have meme fuel of the likes of:4dk: to keep it going. it's really sad tbh.

:150:

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
I think we found another legal stage. I need to see more of Baya and Coren to judge.
Edit: THEY ARE GETTING RELESED ON FEB 3RD

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
alright. we finally have some footage to go off of for :4bayonetta::4corrinf:, even if its not much.

:4bayonetta: doesnt have bad enough frame data. also that side b looks like a good quick landing option. i was paying attention to :4bayonetta: more than :4corrinf:; :4bayonetta: really seems to be the threat we make her out to be. maybe it'll be like :4mewtwo: and she'll be light as a balloon?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think Charizard is solid (mediocre) in this game. He has a lot of cool stuff, but strangely enough he's "too honest". What do I mean by that? Sakurai gave DK and Bowser ridiculous combo throws that can rack up 30% and more just from one grab, while his is so tame, and it bothers me SO MUCH.

This notion that Zard is bottom 5 is dumb, still. That notion is really outdated, and it bothers me. He has a lot more going for him than that. uggh.

He's very similar to :4shulk: in that if he was fully optimized he'd still be like mid at best. He'd be no secret top tier (obviously) Character loyalty is the only way his meta will progress and he just doesn't have meme fuel of the likes of:4dk: to keep it going. it's really sad tbh.

:150:
I guess Sakurai feels he isn't of the same ilk as his super-heavy brethren? Maybe he thinks Charizard is supposed to be more mixup and aerial-oriented (despite his morally reprehensible airspeed) than a straight-up grappler. Most Charizards I've seen have a decent grasp of their air game and heavy punishes with his specials, while DK and Bowser are more interested in poking and grabbing to press home the advantage.

I have no idea, I'm struggling to think of the design philosophy behind DK and Bowser being equipped with solid grab conversions while Zard has nothing of the sort. My gut instinct is that he may be buffed similarly in future (Bowser's buff didn't come a few months until after DK's, despite being the same in principle), but that's totally grasping at straws.

It's a shame he's outclassed by the other heavies in the important respects, he's a pretty diverse character in terms of options and he could fill an interesting niche if he had something unique going for him. Definitely better than people give him credit for, but still not impressive enough to stand out.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
alright. we finally have some footage to go off of for :4bayonetta::4corrinf:, even if its not much.

:4bayonetta: doesnt have bad enough frame data. also that side b looks like a good quick landing option. i was paying attention to :4bayonetta: more than :4corrinf:; :4bayonetta: really seems to be the threat we make her out to be. maybe it'll be like :4mewtwo: and she'll be light as a balloon?
Got a :4link: to the footage?

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Is Sakurai himself commentating possibly the most volatile match-up in Smash 4? Death combos from both players all over the place.

I'm laughing so hard.

Is this the end for us?

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Rest in peace Metaknight, nerfs incoming.

We were literally all screaming for abadango to throw the match

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
There's not enough time in 4 days for them to nerf lol

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
1) Abadango :4metaknight: (lost to Nairo)
2) Nairo :4zss: (lost to Abadango twice)
3) Komorikiri :4cloud: (lost to Abadango and Nairo)
4) Shu :4sheik: (lost to Komorikiri and Nairo)
5) Choco :4zss: (lost to Abadango and Shu)
5) SH :4fox: (lost to Shu and Nairo)
7) Ranai :4villager: (lost to Komorikiri and SH)

I missed most of winners but fortunately caught most of losers. Can anyone confirm SH > Ranai for me? Seems like that would have had to happen if the bracket was set up like I think it was. Alas, I didn't get a time to capture and translate it.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Heres some cool footage if you guys are too excited to wait until Wednesday analyze Corrin and Bayo:

:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Corrin is looking really good. Bayonetta' combos are pretty good though. They both might be viable. Though Bayonetta might just require more practice.

Halifax?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WhataTreeBark
Judging from recent results I'd say the true determinant of being top tier is having yello/light brown in your stock icon.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Bayonetta can get about 30% off a combo so that's REALLY good. Else she would royally suck.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
If anyone here has a handle on Japanese I'd love to know anything interesting said by Sakurai at the tournament.

Last edited:

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Corrin is looking surprisingly lagless for the amount of range they have. Bayonetta's combos are just as bonkers as we suspected. I'm excited for both of them.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
So apparently Marth is getting buffed big-time, his tipper fair does 13% now!? It only did 10% before.
Edit: It's 12%+freshness bonus

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Obviously it's silly to assume accurate frame data from videos without the fighter not being released yet, but if anyone wants to have a general idea of Bayonetta's start-up the 60fps 1v1 does a decent job. This is for her jab.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Corrin is very spry for a character with so many strong disjoints. Bayo's air combos reminds me of ZSS's - I wonder if we'll have another top-off pop-off killer?

Very excited for them! Balance patch is gonna be good too~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom