• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
define "honest." I define it as when you have no nonsense gimmick to rely on to win, or a shenanigan to abuse. Nothing is abusable. In that sense, pit and Mario bros are some that I think are honest.
i dont think i would put mario in that category tbh, cape, fludd and most of all dthrow to utlit are all abusable in most to all(dthrow utilt) mus

edit: 4 frames of invincibility, yes, itd be something if the hitbox came out anywhere near then, the deadly power lasting so long is great... until u look at how quickly that deadly power becomes... not so deadly, the intangibility on the head would be great... if it wasnt surrounded by hurtboxes on all sides except for above, where noone is going to be hitting u from since thats where the hitbox is... and justifying a broken move by saying it wouldnt be shoryuken otherwise isnt a very good argumet.
also even if we assume his usmash is a good move, which it isnt lol, but you seem to think so for whatever reason, my point still stands that his other moves dont work perfectly fine

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Off topic, but people underrate Jigglypuff.

Actually, people use the wrong reasons to say puff is bad. I don't disagree with her being damn near if not IN bottom tier.

I just see a lot of misinfo about puff, especially since not many puff mains on this thread speak up about her.

Puff has good aerials, really good. They all do a decent amount of damage, combo, and are for the most part all safe from shield-grabs.

Here comes my next point, a lot of people think she is bad on shields, which is true, but she's also safe against them. Moves like b-air and f-air can be retreated and made almost 100% safe, and pound does a good amount of shield damage.

Some people call pound just a gimmick, it really isn't. It hurts shields, goes through spotdodges, and combos into things. It's a good move that can condition your opponent to roll a lot and use shield less.

One major thing about puff is rest. Again, some say "risk not worth reward" and "gets punished hard even if it kills". Puff's rest KILL combos are both rising d-air and f-air. She has a true 0-death on l/4 characters and another 1/4 have like a couple frames to escape. (Falling u-air, u-tilt, rising d-air, f-air, rest).

Now. The reasons she is still bad:

She's light AF. Everybody knows this, not worth discussing.

She's linear. She doesn't have very many options in your face, she has no mixup potential and you can easily telegraph everything she does.

Bad vertical recovery. Obv.

Bad at killing. If she can't get her rest combos from like 20-50, she can't kill for crap. All her kill moves are slow and laggy, and it's hard to gimp a lot of characters because of good recoveries.

Easiness to counter. She has a ton of bad MUs because of this, she is easy to counterpick.

Just decided to put my thoughts on Puff.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Please tell me you're joking or being sarcastic. Just because a character is good, or even great, doesn't automatically mean they need to be nerfed. Ryu and Cloud do not invalidate ANY characters within the cast so I really don't see any problems.

A character's "competitive impressions" would be much better if people stopped whining and asking for nerfs rather than trying to improve their favourite character as much as possible.
I know you like Ryu but lying is beneath you.

Ryu should NEVER lose to Falco, Jigglypuff or Ganondorf. Ryu is Ganondorf on steroids.

Cloud in the game means Marth and Lucina do not exist anymore.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I know you like Ryu but lying is beneath you.

Ryu should NEVER lose to Falco, Jigglypuff or Ganondorf. Ryu is Ganondorf on steroids.

Cloud in the game means Marth and Lucina do not exist anymore.
I don't think you get it. Having a character with similar traits and being better does not make the other character non-existent. People play who they want. Just because Cloud has some traits Marth does, doesn't mean Marth is now unviable. Mr E (for example) will still take names because of what he does with the character.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
When a char has the same gameplan but can get more out of it then yes...that character is invalidated.

Melee Marth > Melee Roy

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I mean, EL isn't wrong. From a purely competitive perspective, Cloud is a better swordfighter than Marth in almost every way - if you want to play a character that resembles Marth in spirit, but you're more interested in viability than loyalty, Cloud is a good choice. He's one of the best "true" swordfighters in the roster right now, so if that's your game and you're stuck between Marth and Cloud, you may as well just pick Cloud.

That doesn't mean people who don't want to pick the "best" choice are wrong. We've had this discussion before, but if everybody just wanted the best chance of winning, they'd pick Sheik. There's nothing wrong with picking Marth if that's what you're into. You just won't have as good a chance of winning, putting it bluntly, as you would with Cloud.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d by the man himself.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I don't even think "fun" needs to enter into it, but options? Oh yes, options are HUGELY lacking for lower tiers.

Consider some of moves the higher tiers have, and how versatile those moves wind up being. Sheik's bouncing fish is a fantastic attack, throw followup, escape tool, AND recovery option. ZSS' flipkick as well.

Diddy's monkey flip is three moves in one: it's a recovery tool, a command grab, AND an attack, and it can also spike while giving Diddy another jump, all depending on which buttons the player decides to press.

Ryu has options depending upon how long he holds buttons, and he has special inputs, etc.

What this all means in the end is that these characters just have more OPTIONS: They have more moves they can use in various situations, more moves that will wind up being answers to whatever their enemies throw at them, allowing them to win more frequently.

Why is it so hard to ledge guard Sheik and ZSS? Because they each have "supplemental" recovery abilities that allow them to comfortably return to the ledge from all but the furthest of launches (also their recoveries are dangerous to challenge).

So yeah, characters with more options are consistently going to rise to the top simply because it's basically as if they have an extra button on their controller. They effectively have more moves than other characters, and so long as those moves aren't useless, those options will benefit them.

It would be neat if, in SSB5, they took the custom moves for characters and baked them all into one move.

For example, Bowser's custom down+Bs are trip bomb and wind bomb. Instead of making them customs, you could hold down+B to have him use wind bomb, and double-tap B to use trip bomb. Bam. Options.

Otherwise, the "extra button" characters are always, ALWAYS going to rise to the top. The only exception is really Rosalina, but she has insane hitboxes and I guess you could call Luma one gigantic option in itself...
Rosalina is kind of Ryu-lite in this context since Luma gives her a second attack for every button input, specials notwithstanding. She can't pick and choose which one to use since Luma will always attack if it can, but she does have basically double the attack options of everyone else.

Although as a mild counterpoint to the idea that more options = viability, I suggest Robin and Shulk as examples of how it's possible to undertune a character to make up for their additional options and make them less viable as a result. Robin can do bronze or Levin aerials and Thunder is four very unique projectiles condensed into one move. He can also produce surprisingly strong throwable items on a regular basis, if not necessarily on demand. But he's slow as balls and bronze attacks aren't actually that useful and basically exist as a penalty for not managing the Levin Sword properly. Shulk has Monado Arts, no explanation needed for how those give him options, but his base stats and frame data aren't up to snuff on their own so he has to broadcast his intention via Art selection most of the time.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
It all depends on your personal goal in this game. If you truly wanna win and be the best, playing the best characters is the way to go 100%. Doing anything else would be a waste.

Now playing for fun is a way more varied and complex thing. Some people will play whatever character they connect with, no matter how whack. I personally like strong characters with options left and right. Some people like playing Zelda and Dorf. I don't claim to understand that, but hey, that's your prerogative. A part of me wishes this game was more like that busted Hokuto no Ken game, where even the worst character Jagi could have his day in the sun.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I wouldn't say unwinnable, but EL's made his opinions on matchup ratios clear, and I don't see any reason to start debating matchup ratio semantics again.

Sadly though it is pretty true that Ryu just outclasses Ganon in this matchup. Better neutral, better reward, better disadvantage, really makes me salty honestly. Ganon can make it work though if he plays ultra-anal and abuses the few benefits he has. Like, I would honestly consider not even really trying to approach since Hadoukens don't really threaten Ganon.

I don't really know how Ryu handles neutral, but I do know Ganon's neutral (and advantage and disadvantage for that matter) revolves around getting your opponent to fear certain things Ganon is capable of. Is Ryu similar?

Finally, I think Cloud is going to suffer more and more if, keyword IF, people actually go offstage and edgeguard him. To be honest if Cloud is in a position where he needs to use his Up-B to recover he should die at least 1/3 times.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I wouldn't say unwinnable, but EL's made his opinions on matchup ratios clear, and I don't see any reason to start debating matchup ratio semantics again.

Sadly though it is pretty true that Ryu just outclasses Ganon in this matchup. Better neutral, better reward, better disadvantage, really makes me salty honestly. Ganon can make it work though if he plays ultra-anal and abuses the few benefits he has. Like, I would honestly consider not even really trying to approach since Hadoukens don't really threaten Ganon.

I don't really know how Ryu handles neutral, but I do know Ganon's neutral (and advantage and disadvantage for that matter) revolves around getting your opponent to fear certain things Ganon is capable of. Is Ryu similar?

Finally, I think Cloud is going to suffer more and more if, keyword IF, people actually go offstage and edgeguard him. To be honest if Cloud is in a position where he needs to use his Up-B to recover he should die at least 1/3 times.
First you jump at them and fair....then your fair links to a fair...which can lead...to more fairs.

Then...your opponent never presses a button ever again.

Then you shieldbreak them.

Body bagged

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Maybe it's cause I didn't play Brawl competitively, but I've been playing Lucas as a secondary since release and I've never felt like his moves "don't work" with the exception of PKT2 just kinda doing whatever.

Maybe dair doesn't autolink because they figured a multihit disjoint that leads into a meteor that starts on frame 10 shouldn't be a thing? I mean Kirby has a sorta similar thing but it's frame 18 and isn't disjointed. I dunno. Besides like maybe Cloud (frame 11? but no multihit) does anyone really have anything like that? Regardless, this isn't a Lucas exclusive problem: Pac-man and I believe Jigglypuff can have trouble keeping people in their multihit dairs as well. If it isn't an exclusive issue I have to imagine the move is not "broken" and it just isn't intended to sweep people into the air.

Uair being a niche move doesn't mean it's dysfunctional. I've never noticed any issues with fair's hitbox? If anything that move's weird in that it seems to hit further than the hexagons show from what I've noticed.

Honestly it's hard to care about Lucas's USmash when it's a SUPER-hard-I-broke-your-shield punish anyways. I personally go for DSmash or PK Freeze if I'm trying to punish the 2-frame with the former covering the regrab just fine in most situations. For what it's worth it probably links better on characters who poke their head over the edge.

DSmash losing its hitboxes is a bit puzzling at first but if you add up the damages its base damage is 42. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's around the full health of a shield, yes? With no slipping off edges in shield that'd be a frame 20 shield breaker at the edge, assuming the shieldstun would be high enough that the opponent couldn't drop shield between hits. Whether that's a fair reason (uncharged Marth Shield Breaker is frame 19) is not my place to say, but there is some possible logic there.

I've always felt that all the "my character's hitboxes don't work" claims that have gone around were a bit dubious(:4mewtwo:,:4samus:, though theirs' DID get better so what do I know lol), but with the Lucas mains it always strikes me less as "my character doesn't work" and more "my character isn't what he used to be."

What IS messy is Nair and PKThunder. People finally noticing Nair wasn't really using autolinks is unfortunate; I sorta guessed you could get out of it when I noticed that Lucas sorta passes through the opponent as opposed to carrying them with him but I hoped it wouldn't be quite that bad. A bit foreboding for the Boy from Nowhere once people start screwing over his favorite early combo move more. No other comment on PKThunder.

TL;DR A few months later and Yogurt still doesn't get what Lucas's "design flaws" are, although his Nair is doing it's best to explain it to him.

NNID
User7a1
I just see a lot of misinfo about puff, especially since not many puff mains on this thread speak up about her.
Might be because Puff is regarded very poorly/negatively (and I mean beyond the bottom tier notion kind of negative) in this thread, and trying to disrupt that is a bit dangerous unless one wants to get mauled over. I think the same goes for other lower tier characters. Not all, but some.
Low-tier characters are only going to get respect if they provide the results. That's just how it is.
Maybe it's cause I didn't play Brawl competitively, but I've been playing Lucas as a secondary since release and I've never felt like his moves "don't work" with the exception of PKT2 just kinda doing whatever.

Maybe dair doesn't autolink because they figured a multihit disjoint that leads into a meteor that starts on frame 10 shouldn't be a thing? I mean Kirby has a sorta similar thing but it's frame 18 and isn't disjointed. I dunno. Besides like maybe Cloud (frame 11? but no multihit) does anyone really have anything like that? Regardless, this isn't a Lucas exclusive problem: Pac-man and I believe Jigglypuff can have trouble keeping people in their multihit dairs as well. If it isn't an exclusive issue I have to imagine the move is not "broken" and it just isn't intended to sweep people into the air.
Yeah, sometimes when I use Dair with Puff, not all hits connect. The opponent just gets out midway or I move too fast for all the hits to connect and move past them (same goes for shields too, but to a lesser extent).

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Welcome to the life of Brawl Falco Nair and Fair and Smash 4 pre-1.0.8 Falco Nair and Samus Uair.

Wouldn't be surprised. His Specials and Side Smash were in the game after all; they were Ness's. Even Roy's stuff was in the game since outside of Flare Blade, Blazer's animation, Counter's animation, jab, Ftilt, and Fair, all of Roy's moves belonged to Marth except for Side Smash which looks like Link's and Dair which is Ike's. Hell, you could even stretch it and say Mewtwo was a Zelda semi-clone since Melee. Oh, and Little Mac has some stuff from Captain Falcon; Little Mac's tech rolls, pitfall, and I think tumble animations are all Captain Falcon's. Games, especially ones with lots of content, have to cut corners and the more you ask them to do things, the more they will have to cut corners to meet deadlines.

Smash 4 should have released with only 25 characters max, the original 12, the 3 third-parties Mega Man, PAC-MAN, and Sonic, and 11 newcomers. People would be pissed as hell if that happened, but they, the developers, would have so much time to fine-tune the game like they were working on nanomachines and more time overhauling and fine-tuning Melee and Brawl veterans, and even DLC characters who are the arguably highest quality characters. I mean, if Zelda hasn't worked in 3 freaking games, then there's something wrong.
This post got me thinking about the history of clones in Smash Bros. and just how many characters share animations (directly) with other characters. Ness for example in Smash 64? Shares get-up attacks with Mario/Luigi, as well as an f-tilt. They interestingly also share a polygon in the FPT. Samus and Captain Falcon were a few moves away from being semi-clones, sharing jab 1s, DAs, floor attacks (both), n-airs, down smashes, and up tilts. Kirby and Jigglypuff were also semi-clones, but now Jigglypuff has most of Kirby's smash 64 stuff just with different properties (she kept the forward drill Kirby did as f-air, but Jiggs' is a single sex kick, for example). For more on Kirby/Jigglypuff and Samus/Falcon, see the chart that I made.

In Melee, Ganon and Samus share a "parent" in Captain Falcon, having the same floor, ledge, and dash attacks, as well as ax kick u-tilts.

In Brawl, I joked that Sonic was a "Frankenstein" of sorts, since his f-smash was DK's giant punch, his up air was Wolf's up smash (this is maybe why Seagull Joe mains him in Smash 4? JK), his up smash was Samus's screw attack, his f-air was Falco's f-air, his up tilt was Falcon's up smash, his f-tilt was Pikachu's f-tilt, and his back air was ZSS's back air. In Smash 4 his d-smash is a split like Fox's. But of course Sonic isn't really based on any of those characters and his moves actually come from Sonic the Fighters. It's just weird that their animations are so similar to so many other moves.

In regards to Zelda, I think she and Peach shared a "design frame" in the early stages of Melee's development, which is why they have similar dash attacks both when holding a weapon and when not holding one (when holding a weapon it actually looks cloned), and they have similar n-airs.

Oh, and Diddy Kong's forward aerial in Brawl and Smash 4 is almost exactly the same as Mario's Smash 64 f-air in execution and function. Additionally Wii Fit Trainer's back air is very similar in animation for Mario's back air in 64. They both do the "cobra" pose. It's a stretch but it's interesting.

Novh

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mynoah16
3DS FC
2079-7573-1084
I might be the only one but Trela seems to be in the top 15 beast players in the world.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace

Uair being a niche move doesn't mean it's dysfunctional. I've never noticed any issues with fair's hitbox? If anything that move's weird in that it seems to hit further than the hexagons show from what I've noticed.

Honestly it's hard to care about Lucas's USmash when it's a SUPER-hard-I-broke-your-shield punish anyways. I personally go for DSmash or PK Freeze if I'm trying to punish the 2-frame with the former covering the regrab just fine in most situations. For what it's worth it probably links better on characters who poke their head over the edge.

DSmash losing its hitboxes is a bit puzzling at first but if you add up the damages its base damage is 42. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's around the full health of a shield, yes? With no slipping off edges in shield that'd be a frame 20 shield breaker at the edge, assuming the shieldstun would be high enough that the opponent couldn't drop shield between hits. Whether that's a fair reason (uncharged Marth Shield Breaker is frame 19) is not my place to say, but there is some possible logic there.

I've always felt that all the "my character's hitboxes don't work" claims that have gone around were a bit dubious(:4mewtwo:,:4samus:, though theirs' DID get better so what do I know lol), but with the Lucas mains it always strikes me less as "my character doesn't work" and more "my character isn't what he used to be."

What IS messy is Nair and PKThunder. People finally noticing Nair wasn't really using autolinks is unfortunate; I sorta guessed you could get out of it when I noticed that Lucas sorta passes through the opponent as opposed to carrying them with him but I hoped it wouldn't be quite that bad. A bit foreboding for the Boy from Nowhere once people start screwing over his favorite early combo move more. No other comment on PKThunder.

TL;DR A few months later and Yogurt still doesn't get what Lucas's "design flaws" are, although his Nair is doing it's best to explain it to him.
That Lucas hitbox video a while back was literally one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. It was all made up problems/omg-not-the-same-as-brawl problems.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This post got me thinking about the history of clones in Smash Bros. and just how many characters share animations (directly) with other characters. Ness for example in Smash 64? Shares get-up attacks with Mario/Luigi, as well as an f-tilt. They interestingly also share a polygon in the FPT. Samus and Captain Falcon were a few moves away from being semi-clones, sharing jab 1s, DAs, floor attacks (both), n-airs, down smashes, and up tilts. Kirby and Jigglypuff were also semi-clones, but now Jigglypuff has most of Kirby's smash 64 stuff just with different properties (she kept the forward drill Kirby did as f-air, but Jiggs' is a single sex kick, for example). For more on Kirby/Jigglypuff and Samus/Falcon, see the chart that I made.

In Melee, Ganon and Samus share a "parent" in Captain Falcon, having the same floor, ledge, and dash attacks, as well as ax kick u-tilts.

In Brawl, I joked that Sonic was a "Frankenstein" of sorts, since his f-smash was DK's giant punch, his up air was Wolf's up smash (this is maybe why Seagull Joe mains him in Smash 4? JK), his up smash was Samus's screw attack, his f-air was Falco's f-air, his up tilt was Falcon's up smash, his f-tilt was Pikachu's f-tilt, and his back air was ZSS's back air. In Smash 4 his d-smash is a split like Fox's. But of course Sonic isn't really based on any of those characters and his moves actually come from Sonic the Fighters. It's just weird that their animations are so similar to so many other moves.

In regards to Zelda, I think she and Peach shared a "design frame" in the early stages of Melee's development, which is why they have similar dash attacks both when holding a weapon and when not holding one (when holding a weapon it actually looks cloned), and they have similar n-airs.

Oh, and Diddy Kong's forward aerial in Brawl and Smash 4 is almost exactly the same as Mario's Smash 64 f-air in execution and function. Additionally Wii Fit Trainer's back air is very similar in animation for Mario's back air in 64. They both do the "cobra" pose. It's a stretch but it's interesting.
Like what Charoite said, other games do that too. There's a point where you can't use anything else, especially with humanoid characters. With more animal-like characters, you get more freedom, but even then, it's not much. For example, let's say Chesnaught was in Smash as a playable character. It's going to be a likely chance he ends up with Bowser's Up Smash.

The thing is how to make them different despite looking the same like how Captain Falcon and Samus's Utilt's basically have mirrored properties. The problem is when similar moves, function and animation-wise, are "too" different for the wrong reasons. Case in point would be the excessive landing lag on Roy's Dair compared to Ike's or the extremes for Falco, Pikachu, and Sonic's Fair at launch where Falco's was frame 12, hit every 6 frames, did 8% total, and had 32 landing frames while Pikachu's which does not autolink is frame 10, hits 5 times with 1 frame gaps, does 9.8% total, and had 15 landing frames, and Sonic's was frame 5, hits 6 times with 1 frame gaps, does 7% total, and had 26 landing frames. Even though Falco's Fair was praised, he did end up with the short end of the stick. Funny thing is that the landing lag was 33 in Brawl and if all the hits connected, it would have done 11%. Also, it was frame 6. So, ignoring its SDI issues, Fair was basically nerfed from Brawl. 1.0.8 brought it closer to Pikachu's Fair by reducing its startup to 10, making it hit every 4 frames instead of 6, and also drastically reducing its landing lag to 25. Also, the last hit because of how the loop hits were altered, is instant unlike before where there was a 2 or 4 gap - I can't remember. They all pretty much serve as aerial combo moves and also, technically, all of them should be able to edgeguard with them, but Pikachu's got Bair and Fair not auto-linking means he can't drag people down while Sonic's just doesn't linger enough since like Pikachu's, it hits at individual frames unlike Falco's which "refreshes" each hit. That being said, the advantages of having high active frames wasn't enough to justify having an extreme amount of landing lag and startup that borders noticeable - frame 12 is when things start to be noticeably slow, right? At the same time, there's kind of the issue of Pikachu's Fair's landing lag now... Yes, none of these moves should be used near the ground even if they auto-cancel well, but it's a big gap, though not as big when Falco's was 32.

Also, Falco's landing hit needs to be removed. There is no reason, no justification at all for it to have a landing hit since he doesn't do anything; Falco just lays there and there's this inexplicable hit. It's letting him get away with stuff and was probably even why it was buffed and nerfed; in 1.0.4, it was buffed to 5% making it the 2nd strongest tied, with Toon Link's Dair, landing aerial hit at the time - not counting Special landing hits which are stronger. First goes to ZSS's 5.5%. Now it goes to Pikachu's Bair and Dair and Wario's Dair at 4% and maybe someone else. Why was it buffed from 2%? I think it was to cover the nasty landing lag, but even then, why not just reduce it? Which they did and also nerfed it from 5% to 3%, but there's this other problem... If the landing hit was always there to cover the extreme landing lag which lead it being buffed to protect Falco even more which made it really stupid which then lead to Fair being re-tuned and having the landing lag cut down... What's the point of the landing hit? It's not a move that's supposed to be used low to the ground which is why Sonic gets punished if he does so and lands badly or even Pikachu, especially before 1.1.1 since electrical moves on shield were absolutely horrendous. The landing hit basically lets Falco get away with something he shouldn't and Falco's gotten away with a ton of **** in Smash as a whole. I actually feel like his Fair's landing hit contributes to degenerate play and over-reliance on it because it's a safety blanket. You can easily tell if a Falco is good or not by how Fair is being used. If Fair's being used in neutral and landing into shield, that's a bad player. If Fair's being used sporadically so you don't expect it, from setups, and/or mostly in the air, that's a good player. It and dash attack, a common move thrown out by rookies, are 2 moves rookie Falco players throw out way too much. For Fair, it's because they can get away with it when they shouldn't while dash attack is just a lack of control and lack of understanding that Falco is way too damn slow to use dash attack in neutral.

There are times when nerfs are actually good. This is one of them. It's one that will force Falco players to not rely on Fair's landing hit to save them. It's also good for other players since it's frankly stupid for a landing hit to look like that. If Falco flipped while landing so his beak was still spinning sort of like Sonic's Fair landing animation, then sure, but he's not; Falco's just on the ground staring at the dirt wondering how low he had to stoop to land a measly hit. There's also a nerf people who don't understand will end up crying, but for the people who do, it's definitely a blessing: increasing Blaster's startup to match Melee's. Total frames don't change at all which means Falco ends up with on the ground a frame 23 Blaster with 58 total frames. That's 36 recovery frames from his current 48. Problem would be aerial Blaster since currently, it's got 41 recovery frames and if you up the startup from 9 to Melee's 13, Falco ends up with 37 which is more than on the ground when it should be the opposite... They could reduce the total frames from Smash 4's 49 to Melee or Brawl's 42 or 41, respectively. Going with Melee, he would have 30 recovery frames while Brawl's would be 29 with Melee's startup. If we're going with Brawl's startup which is 10, he'd have 31... It's minor, really, in the differences. Hell, with his current frame 9 startup which would be wacky cause aerial is 9 while ground is 23, it would still be below the 35 range. The other option is also increasing the startup to say, 17, and leave the total frames alone, but that kind of would kill his combo extensions with lasers... Anyway, with 36 recovery frames on the ground, Falco would rival Mario's Fireball in recovery frames. Mario's Fireballs are by no means bad projectiles, but they're also not phenomenal projectiles. With a linear, thin projectile like that, it's pretty perfect for just taking relatively safe pot shots. In the air, he would rival Fox and Wolf's 29 recovery frames. Scary? Not really since like Fox, his momentum is stalled while using Blaster unlike Wolf who can and with superior air speed, gets to drift around in a way Falco dreams of. Also, Falco fires slower and his lasers travel shorter than Fox's so he won't be able to put up a larger, far-reaching wall. Assuming higher startup, Falco's going to be noticeable.

Oh, but these are competitive changes... Not really. People do realize how annoying Falco's Blaster is right? It's annoying in a sense of you're getting interrupted by these pathetic lasers preventing you from doing much. Falco's Blaster right now is like the prick who even a bedridden war veteran can knockout by breathing on him, but that prick's persistent so you beat him up even more. Higher startup just makes it less annoying for everyone. Also, people do realize that out of the projectiles that do cause hit stun, Falco's is tied second fastest fastest at frame 11 or 9 with Fox and Robin. Fox's can't do hit stun, so he kind of needs that speed while Robin's work under a durability mechanic, so she can't really liberally use them without screwing herself over. Following, if you count Luma's Star Bits as projectiles, then it's frame 13, then Lucario Aura Sphere's is at frame 14, then it's Yoshi's at frame 15 and that travels slower and can't be fired continually. Mega Man's Metal Saw and Samus's Charge Shot follows at frame 16 where in their case, they're not going to use fire them constantly; Mega Man's looking for weird angles and more likely to throw it down, pick it up, and start item shenanigans while Samus is going to charge, make you feel threaten, and fire when you least expect it. Then it's the Mario Bros.'s Fireballs and Robin's Arcfire at frame 17 and theirs goes nowhere compared to Falco's. Point is that almost all hit stun capable projectiles aren't cowboy quickdraw fast and if they are, they are limited to something like Mega Man's is his jab, Ftilt, and Nair which lose considerable knockback at range or Villager's is tied to her Fair and Bair. They also don't have a lot of range. Mii Gunner's Fair range and momentum change? Oh, yeah, low knockback. So, there's kind of no reason why Falco needs a fast projectile or one that fires continually since everyone else is taking pot shots or threatening with strong projectiles. Falco can't do that and his Blaster is more harmless than a mosquito that isn't carrying malaria. Fox needs to fire fast and continually because without hit stun, it's dangerous, so he needs to be able to rack up damage fast and threaten you with high DPS. In FFA, he needs to have that fast trigger finger to tag someone and kill steal. What's Falco going to do? Prevent kills since he stops people's momentum?

Oh, and if anyone's wondering who's the fastest, it's Sheik. She's busted so... Thing is she needs to have uncharged Needles to do this, to throw at frame 5. Otherwise, she's throwing at frame 11 with 6 Needles in hand. The other problem is that you need to throw one measly Needle with a small hitbox and deal with 43 frames of recovery. On the flipside, with it's derpy, high knockback growth, 180, it becomes stupid at high percents if she hits you. That and because it's fast and difficult to see, it's not really a problem for her; for us, it is a problem.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Off topic, but people underrate Jigglypuff.

Actually, people use the wrong reasons to say puff is bad. I don't disagree with her being damn near if not IN bottom tier.

Puff has good aerials, really good. They all do a decent amount of damage, combo, and are for the most part all safe from shield-grabs.

Here comes my next point, a lot of people think she is bad on shields, which is true, but she's also safe against them. Moves like b-air and f-air can be retreated and made almost 100% safe, and pound does a good amount of shield damage.

Some people call pound just a gimmick, it really isn't. It hurts shields, goes through spotdodges, and combos into things. It's a good move that can condition your opponent to roll a lot and use shield less.

One major thing about puff is rest. Again, some say "risk not worth reward" and "gets punished hard even if it kills". Puff's rest KILL combos are both rising d-air and f-air. She has a true 0-death on l/4 characters and another 1/4 have like a couple frames to escape. (Falling u-air, u-tilt, rising d-air, f-air, rest).
Puff's aerials deal so little knockback that they're a risk even on hit. This character simply doesn't function until your opponent is already at high percent, and considering you're using the lightest character and have gotten damaged by this point you're pretty much screwed already. Taking this into account, there's no reason to challenge a retreating Puff. She can do the job for you.

Pound does a lot of damage to shield but why does that matter when it's punishable and you're using a character that can't afford to trade let alone get hit? Pound is hardly threatening. And she absolutely does not want your opponent to condition to roll, she has no answers to them.

This character is bad. Why her being the worst in the game isn't the consensus yet is beyond me.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Like what Charoite said, other games do that too. There's a point where you can't use anything else, especially with humanoid characters. With more animal-like characters, you get more freedom, but even then, it's not much. For example, let's say Chesnaught was in Smash as a playable character. It's going to be a likely chance he ends up with Bowser's Up Smash.

The thing is how to make them different despite looking the same like how Captain Falcon and Samus's Utilt's basically have mirrored properties. The problem is when similar moves, function and animation-wise, are "too" different for the wrong reasons. Case in point would be the excessive landing lag on Roy's Dair compared to Ike's or the extremes for Falco, Pikachu, and Sonic's Fair at launch where Falco's was frame 12, hit every 6 frames, did 8% total, and had 32 landing frames while Pikachu's which does not autolink is frame 10, hits 5 times with 1 frame gaps, does 9.8% total, and had 15 landing frames, and Sonic's was frame 5, hits 6 times with 1 frame gaps, does 7% total, and had 26 landing frames. Even though Falco's Fair was praised, he did end up with the short end of the stick. Funny thing is that the landing lag was 33 in Brawl and if all the hits connected, it would have done 11%. Also, it was frame 6. So, ignoring its SDI issues, Fair was basically nerfed from Brawl. 1.0.8 brought it closer to Pikachu's Fair by reducing its startup to 10, making it hit every 4 frames instead of 6, and also drastically reducing its landing lag to 25. Also, the last hit because of how the loop hits were altered, is instant unlike before where there was a 2 or 4 gap - I can't remember. They all pretty much serve as aerial combo moves and also, technically, all of them should be able to edgeguard with them, but Pikachu's got Bair and Fair not auto-linking means he can't drag people down while Sonic's just doesn't linger enough since like Pikachu's, it hits at individual frames unlike Falco's which "refreshes" each hit. That being said, the advantages of having high active frames wasn't enough to justify having an extreme amount of landing lag and startup that borders noticeable - frame 12 is when things start to be noticeably slow, right? At the same time, there's kind of the issue of Pikachu's Fair's landing lag now... Yes, none of these moves should be used near the ground even if they auto-cancel well, but it's a big gap, though not as big when Falco's was 32.

Also, Falco's landing hit needs to be removed. There is no reason, no justification at all for it to have a landing hit since he doesn't do anything; Falco just lays there and there's this inexplicable hit. It's letting him get away with stuff and was probably even why it was buffed and nerfed; in 1.0.4, it was buffed to 5% making it the 2nd strongest tied, with Toon Link's Dair, landing aerial hit at the time - not counting Special landing hits which are stronger. First goes to ZSS's 5.5%. Now it goes to Pikachu's Bair and Dair and Wario's Dair at 4% and maybe someone else. Why was it buffed from 2%? I think it was to cover the nasty landing lag, but even then, why not just reduce it? Which they did and also nerfed it from 5% to 3%, but there's this other problem... If the landing hit was always there to cover the extreme landing lag which lead it being buffed to protect Falco even more which made it really stupid which then lead to Fair being re-tuned and having the landing lag cut down... What's the point of the landing hit? It's not a move that's supposed to be used low to the ground which is why Sonic gets punished if he does so and lands badly or even Pikachu, especially before 1.1.1 since electrical moves on shield were absolutely horrendous. The landing hit basically lets Falco get away with something he shouldn't and Falco's gotten away with a ton of **** in Smash as a whole. I actually feel like his Fair's landing hit contributes to degenerate play and over-reliance on it because it's a safety blanket. You can easily tell if a Falco is good or not by how Fair is being used. If Fair's being used in neutral and landing into shield, that's a bad player. If Fair's being used sporadically so you don't expect it, from setups, and/or mostly in the air, that's a good player. It and dash attack, a common move thrown out by rookies, are 2 moves rookie Falco players throw out way too much. For Fair, it's because they can get away with it when they shouldn't while dash attack is just a lack of control and lack of understanding that Falco is way too damn slow to use dash attack in neutral.

There are times when nerfs are actually good. This is one of them. It's one that will force Falco players to not rely on Fair's landing hit to save them. It's also good for other players since it's frankly stupid for a landing hit to look like that. If Falco flipped while landing so his beak was still spinning sort of like Sonic's Fair landing animation, then sure, but he's not; Falco's just on the ground staring at the dirt wondering how low he had to stoop to land a measly hit. There's also a nerf people who don't understand will end up crying, but for the people who do, it's definitely a blessing: increasing Blaster's startup to match Melee's. Total frames don't change at all which means Falco ends up with on the ground a frame 23 Blaster with 58 total frames. That's 36 recovery frames from his current 48. Problem would be aerial Blaster since currently, it's got 41 recovery frames and if you up the startup from 9 to Melee's 13, Falco ends up with 37 which is more than on the ground when it should be the opposite... They could reduce the total frames from Smash 4's 49 to Melee or Brawl's 42 or 41, respectively. Going with Melee, he would have 30 recovery frames while Brawl's would be 29 with Melee's startup. If we're going with Brawl's startup which is 10, he'd have 31... It's minor, really, in the differences. Hell, with his current frame 9 startup which would be wacky cause aerial is 9 while ground is 23, it would still be below the 35 range. The other option is also increasing the startup to say, 17, and leave the total frames alone, but that kind of would kill his combo extensions with lasers... Anyway, with 36 recovery frames on the ground, Falco would rival Mario's Fireball in recovery frames. Mario's Fireballs are by no means bad projectiles, but they're also not phenomenal projectiles. With a linear, thin projectile like that, it's pretty perfect for just taking relatively safe pot shots. In the air, he would rival Fox and Wolf's 29 recovery frames. Scary? Not really since like Fox, his momentum is stalled while using Blaster unlike Wolf who can and with superior air speed, gets to drift around in a way Falco dreams of. Also, Falco fires slower and his lasers travel shorter than Fox's so he won't be able to put up a larger, far-reaching wall. Assuming higher startup, Falco's going to be noticeable.

Oh, but these are competitive changes... Not really. People do realize how annoying Falco's Blaster is right? It's annoying in a sense of you're getting interrupted by these pathetic lasers preventing you from doing much. Falco's Blaster right now is like the prick who even a bedridden war veteran can knockout by breathing on him, but that prick's persistent so you beat him up even more. Higher startup just makes it less annoying for everyone. Also, people do realize that out of the projectiles that do cause hit stun, Falco's is tied second fastest fastest at frame 11 or 9 with Fox and Robin. Fox's can't do hit stun, so he kind of needs that speed while Robin's work under a durability mechanic, so she can't really liberally use them without screwing herself over. Following, if you count Luma's Star Bits as projectiles, then it's frame 13, then Lucario Aura Sphere's is at frame 14, then it's Yoshi's at frame 15 and that travels slower and can't be fired continually. Mega Man's Metal Saw and Samus's Charge Shot follows at frame 16 where in their case, they're not going to use fire them constantly; Mega Man's looking for weird angles and more likely to throw it down, pick it up, and start item shenanigans while Samus is going to charge, make you feel threaten, and fire when you least expect it. Then it's the Mario Bros.'s Fireballs and Robin's Arcfire at frame 17 and theirs goes nowhere compared to Falco's. Point is that almost all hit stun capable projectiles aren't cowboy quickdraw fast and if they are, they are limited to something like Mega Man's is his jab, Ftilt, and Nair which lose considerable knockback at range or Villager's is tied to her Fair and Bair. They also don't have a lot of range. Mii Gunner's Fair range and momentum change? Oh, yeah, low knockback. So, there's kind of no reason why Falco needs a fast projectile or one that fires continually since everyone else is taking pot shots or threatening with strong projectiles. Falco can't do that and his Blaster is more harmless than a mosquito that isn't carrying malaria. Fox needs to fire fast and continually because without hit stun, it's dangerous, so he needs to be able to rack up damage fast and threaten you with high DPS. In FFA, he needs to have that fast trigger finger to tag someone and kill steal. What's Falco going to do? Prevent kills since he stops people's momentum?

Oh, and if anyone's wondering who's the fastest, it's Sheik. She's busted so... Thing is she needs to have uncharged Needles to do this, to throw at frame 5. Otherwise, she's throwing at frame 11 with 6 Needles in hand. The other problem is that you need to throw one measly Needle with a small hitbox and deal with 43 frames of recovery. On the flipside, with it's derpy, high knockback growth, 180, it becomes stupid at high percents if she hits you. That and because it's fast and difficult to see, it's not really a problem for her; for us, it is a problem.
Ah, I see. Very interesting.

In response to the Falco thing, yeah, that hit always confused me. But I was more bugged about it not making the "slice" sound effect, lol. Dr. Mario has a similar hit with his down aerial. It's kind of like the stars on Yoshi's down B or D3's up B except you can't see it, it's just this weird quake hitbox. Bowser Jr.'s f-air does the same thing, but it's weirder because the wrecking ball thingy is seen dispensed in like 1 frame. I imagine it was put in place for defense but I agree it's pretty silly. Perhaps if they made it so that, if Falco connects this weird hit, his lag is cancelled and he can follow up with something a la Bowser Jr.'s or Mario's down aerials (his lets him get a grab most of the time) then it'd fit a lot better and compliment Falco's already impressive combo game. I'd also give it to Dr. Mario's down air.

On Falco's blasters, those changes sound nice, but I'm more in favor of a bit of an overhaul. I would have Falco be able to charge the laser by holding B the way he did in Assault. It would start green, then turn yellow, then blue, then red, with red doing the most damage. The charge would be relatively quick, borrowing Peppy's "hidden ability" from that game's multiplayer where his charge was 4x faster than everyone else's. Let's give it 9 frames of startup, with the first level laser coming out frame 9 and the last level frame 17 (simply borrowing your numbers lol, I wish I could crunch them like you can). They all make the opponent flinch but here's where the utility comes in; the end lag reduces as the charge increases. So final charge does more "flinch" and at close quarters (where Falco can read a spot dodge) on or off-stage he can confirm grab or f-air since the blaster would have much less end lag. It won't travel as quickly so Falco can follow it, especially in the air. Charge will also affect his up and back throws, with full charge killing more reliably (still late, as to not be ridiculous). I know you might be thinking this makes it kinda like paralyzer but I'm thinking it's more like some of Ryu's moves that leave characters in those awkward positions in between getting hit and landing where they can't do anything lol. With this Falco could probably confirm down smashes at best.

This idea could have belonged to Slippy if he ended up in the game.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Puff's aerials deal so little knockback that they're a risk even on hit. This character simply doesn't function until your opponent is already at high percent, and considering you're using the lightest character and have gotten damaged by this point you're pretty much screwed already. Taking this into account, there's no reason to challenge a retreating Puff. She can do the job for you.

Pound does a lot of damage to shield but why does that matter when it's punishable and you're using a character that can't afford to trade let alone get hit? Pound is hardly threatening. And she absolutely does not want your opponent to condition to roll, she has no answers to them.

This character is bad. Why her being the worst in the game isn't the consensus yet is beyond me.
It might be a mixture of her strategy not being horrible, her having a couple good moves (like Bair), and the fact she is amazingly good at escaping combos and bad situations. I can only wish Zelda had any of those.
:196:

Browny

Smash Hater
Puff nair oos is a really good kill option I dont see talked about often. Decently powerful, fast and usually safe on block.

tbh I think the majority of my KOs with puff (my 3rd most played character) are from nair. She might not kill reliably but she can do it safely sometimes.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
gmt is +8, cet is +9 for any europeans
???
I just mean what timezone is that schedule going off of?

Because if It's going off it's own time, I'm gonna need to use the past broadcast to see most of top 32 or all of it, and all of top 8. :(

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
gmt is +0, cet is +1 and eet is +2 for everyone
Clad if I could help :)

Anyways I hear people always talking about Japan vs 'Murica in Sm4sh. Also Mexico and Australia are also often mentioned. You rarely hear people talking about Europe, South America etc. when it comes to players getting results with characters. Why so?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
i dont think i would put mario in that category tbh, cape, fludd and most of all dthrow to utlit are all abusable in most to all(dthrow utilt) mus

edit: 4 frames of invincibility, yes, itd be something if the hitbox came out anywhere near then, the deadly power lasting so long is great... until u look at how quickly that deadly power becomes... not so deadly, the intangibility on the head would be great... if it wasnt surrounded by hurtboxes on all sides except for above, where noone is going to be hitting u from since thats where the hitbox is... and justifying a broken move by saying it wouldnt be shoryuken otherwise isnt a very good argumet.
also even if we assume his usmash is a good move, which it isnt lol, but you seem to think so for whatever reason, my point still stands that his other moves dont work perfectly fine
You're not caping anybody with a good recovery. You're not FLUDDing anybody with a good recovery. This is fact. Dthrow to Utilt is a overrated combo that'll net you some
Percent. Some can't even be comboed into it.

Last edited:

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
Does Z-dropping also z-air at the same time?
yeah, i mean u can do zdrop out of the first few frames of the ground jumping animation(so "rising" zdrop from the ground) but other than that zair always comes out :(

jiggs and pac at least connect most of the time, lucas needs to be moving straight up(no left or right) and hope the opponent isnt moving down to have a chance to connect all the hits :/ why make it multihit if the hits dont connect, id be fine with making it come out 10 frames later if at least all the hitboxes connected properly, if this was intentially done that just makes it worse, if they dont connect, i dont see how you can say it functions perfectly :/ since you say it isnt meant to sweep people into the air, fine, but what is it meant to do? are you meant to hit people with only the very last hit, which comes out on frame 34, to use it to edgeguard/spike people with?

uair well i guess you can say its being salty more than anything really, ness gets to keep his busted hitbox from brawl despite already being the better character, yet lucas' get nerfed so much that its basically unuseable in anything outside of combos and sometimes juggles. this hurts especially because it was one of his options in neutral in brawl and they nerfed it and all neary all his other options in neutral(only pkfire and zair now) make of it what you will, but unwaranted nerfs never make anyone happy so i guess u can say im just salty about it(especially if you consider all the other "nerfs" he got).

fair, no the issue with the hitbox isnt the reach on it(though to answer your semi question, that actually matches the hexagon pretty accurately) its when it comes active, its the same issue that ftilt had before this patch which they fixed. the best way i can think of to Replicate this is to input the fair shortly after reaching the apex of a shorthop and fast falling it :/ the hexagon visuals come out before the hitbox does, its great when you see the visual hitbox come out inside your opponent yet they dont get hit and punish you for it.

nope usmash at the ledge doesnt link and since the tooltip says it does(and it did so in brawl too) i cant say it functions perfectly in the sense of intended use, and its not about the 2 frame, its about hitting people that have lost their ledge invincibility, i agree that dsmash is a much better option to punish the 2 frame.

as for dsmash, yes u can drop shield, because the first hit pushes the opponent so far back the other 2 hits dont connect, so it wouldnt break a shield unless they purposely run back into the move and put their shield back up...

as for the video, since someone mentioned it, yes even i thought certain things were overexaggerated(like the pkthunder on stage part for eg.) but sadly that doesnt make the other things pointed out in the video any less true :(

Last edited:

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
You're not caping anybody with a good recovery. You're not FLUDDing anybody with a good recovery. This is fact. Dthrow to Utilt is a overrated combo that'll net you some
Percent. Some can't even be comboed into it.
if by anybody with a good recovery youre refering to only zss and sheik then yes, if meta knight for eg. has a bad recovery then youre not caping anyone with a good recovery, but in my books mk has a good recovery... dthrow to utilt, however overrated it may be, is still abuseable, also is usmash spam at kill % honest? before you missunderstand, i dont think mario is "jank" or broken or gimmicky, i just wouldnt say hes an honest character in the sense that he doesnt have anything which he can abuse...

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
if by anybody with a good recovery youre refering to only zss and sheik then yes, if meta knight for eg. has a bad recovery then youre not caping anyone with a good recovery, but in my books mk has a good recovery... dthrow to utilt, however overrated it may be, is still abuseable, also is usmash spam at kill % honest? before you missunderstand, i dont think mario is "jank" or broken or gimmicky, i just wouldnt say hes an honest character in the sense that he doesnt have anything which he can abuse...
You're comparing everyone to sheik and ZSS......... That's something you shouldn't do. At all.

And you can't spam Usmash. It's not possible at a high level to hit someone like that by spamming.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Why would you even play a character that didn't have something you can abuse? Serious question - why play a character who's options are so bad that they lack one dominant/domineering tool?

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Why would you even play a character that didn't have something you can abuse? Serious question - why play a character who's options are so bad that they lack one dominant/domineering tool?

Because they might have a lot of decent but not dominant tools, allowing for versatile play?

Because some people prefer to take risks to get higher rewards?

Because some people are masochistic (serious)?

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
jiggs and pac at least connect most of the time, lucas needs to be moving straight up(no left or right) and hope the opponent isnt moving down to have a chance to connect all the hits :/ why make it multihit if the hits dont connect, id be fine with making it come out 10 frames later if at least all the hitboxes connected properly, if this was intentially done that just makes it worse, if they dont connect, i dont see how you can say it functions perfectly :/ since you say it isnt meant to sweep people into the air, fine, but what is it meant to do? are you meant to hit people with only the very last hit, which comes out on frame 34, to use it to edgeguard/spike people with?

uair well i guess you can say its being salty more than anything really, ness gets to keep his busted hitbox from brawl despite already being the better character, yet lucas' get nerfed so much that its basically unuseable in anything outside of combos and sometimes juggles. this hurts especially because it was one of his options in neutral in brawl and they nerfed it and all neary all his other options in neutral(only pkfire and zair now) make of it what you will, but unwaranted nerfs never make anyone happy so i guess u can say im just salty about it(especially if you consider all the other "nerfs" he got).

fair, no the issue with the hitbox isnt the reach on it(though to answer your semi question, that actually matches the hexagon pretty accurately) its when it comes active, its the same issue that ftilt had before this patch which they fixed. the best way i can think of to Replicate this is to input the fair shortly after reaching the apex of a shorthop and fast falling it :/ the hexagon visuals come out before the hitbox does, its great when you see the visual hitbox come out inside your opponent yet they dont get hit and punish you for it.

nope usmash at the ledge doesnt link and since the tooltip says it does(and it did so in brawl too) i cant say it functions perfectly in the sense of intended use, and its not about the 2 frame, its about hitting people that have lost their ledge invincibility, i agree that dsmash is a much better option to punish the 2 frame.

as for dsmash, yes u can drop shield, because the first hit pushes the opponent so far back the other 2 hits dont connect, so it wouldnt break a shield unless they purposely run back into the move and put their shield back up...

as for the video, since someone mentioned it, yes even i thought certain things were overexaggerated(like the pkthunder on stage part for eg.) but sadly that doesnt make the other things pointed out in the video any less true :(
Yeah it's a bit like Shulk's in that regard (can't be moving left/right). Perhaps I'm used to that so it just makes sense to me. I dunno man. I still find it to be a decent move as far as dairs go and I usually manage to get the spike about as often with it as I do Bair. That was just my guess on why they designed it that way because you don't put autolinks on almost every multihit and then just say "whoops I guess we forgot Pac, Jiggs, and Lucas. Oh well." They have some sort of reason behind it, so I just was guessing what it might be.

Well at least you admit there's some salt talking. :p And I agree that Ness's is silly in comparison. In regards to his neutral I find spaced Fair to be useful when they start closing in a bit. It was pretty safe BEFORE its landing lag was reduced this last patch.

Ah so it's a bit like what Samus and Mewtwo had and what Zelda has with Nayru's. Okay that's fair. Still, I've never really noticed it myself.

Huh not even on the guys who peek over? Well that is a bit of false advertising then. Still wouldn't DSmash be a better regrab punish anyways since you're closer to the side blast zone? Still not a big deal in my opinion, though it should be fixed since it is advertised to do that.

Not at the edge. Looking at that Lucas video DSmash barely moves Lucas at all. Again I'm just guessing at reasons they might have done that (Shulk's typically shield pokes unless he's in buster with a bit of smash charge).

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
A note about Jigglypuff is that she has a wall of pain on many characters, and that's one of, if not her only, kill option against her opponents, especially with the likes of Sheik and Ryu, who would easily recover back to the stage. On a character like Cloud, Puff doesn't need to actually Wall of Pain him with her F-Airs, because one to three of them (two off stage) will do the job.

And a note about Falco, because I have to ask, is there any fundamental evidence or even foundation that Ryu beats Falco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom