• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Luigi mains started with an overcentralized throw, while Bowser mains did not. Bowser mains built their character meta off of tilts, OoS options, and punishing while Luigi players built it off of shield baiting then grabbing. With Luigi d-throw shenanigans gone, Luigi mains had to retool and rework around all that they've known Luigi for, giving a minor setback in his character development.

Now that Bowser does have a centralized throw, it gives him better punishment alongside all the other solid neutral techniques his mains forged over the past year. I'm not saying that he is already better than Luigi, I think he just has a more solid gameplan and more potential than Luigi does right now.
If I had to make a comparison to the importance of Bowser's UThrow, its importance is the same as Millia's Tandem Top. Both are extremely important to their playstyles, but they aren't the complete center of their playstyles. With the case of Bowser, UThrow SUPPLEMENTS his punishing playstyle. Not disagreeing, but I wanted to toss this in.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Fair is safe on shield, I believe Dtilt is only unsafe if shield grabbed. Uair and Nair are safe as well. A properly spaced Bair should be as well.

His combo game is really good, though not from grabs. Thus, people whine and give up because it takes more then 5 seconds to learn.
I think the problem is that people just don't see high level Mewtwo play so they're basing their arguments on For Glory and what they can do in training mode. We just need someone to show what Mewtwo can do at a tournament level for people to start changing their minds.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Just because no one got nerfed does not mean no character is worse off post patch

Like, I have no idea if Kirby can become competitively relevant post patch, but its just common sense that every character Kirby already did well against is worse off after the patch.
Well, in relative terms of course if someone goes up then someone else must come down. That's how sorted lists work. But in absolute terms, there have been no nerfs that I'm aware of this patch, which means that the only real argument you can make for anyone "losing" the game of nerfs is that they went from a positive/neutral matchup to a neutral/negative one against some newly buffed character. Or Cloud, I guess.

But given that the "winners" of the patch seem to be Mewtwo, Bowser, Lucas, Kirby, Shulk, and Robin (in roughly descending order), all of which were mid-to-low tier before the patch, I have a hard time caring if their buffs end up indirectly harming anyone else.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Characters I am certain are worse than Mewtwo: :4charizard:
Charizard worse than Mewtwo? FFFT.

I'm sorry, but no. Charizard is one of the best heavies in the game, and has been thouroughly underrated by people. Fast jab, fast aerials, fast grab, good throws, decent recovery, quick dash and run....he's by no means worse than Mewtwo. Sure, Mewtwo's got some buffs now, but Charizard still outshines him in almost every respect.

Everybody who's gone into Charizard deeply enough has figured out that he is underrated by most people; even Zer0 thinks that Charizard is better than a lot of people say he is, and people who've gone in depth with the character say Charizard is one of the best heavyweights in the game for a good reason. People like vaBengal make Charizard look damn impressive, while Mewtwo still struggles to find a foothold in the metagame with very few people actively using him in tournaments.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
even Zer0 thinks that Charizard is better than a lot of people say he is
To be fair, he says this about a lot of characters.
People like vaBengal make Charizard look damn impressive, while Mewtwo still struggles to find a foothold in the metagame with very few people actively using him in tournaments.
Aren't Japanese Mewtwos getting results of some kind?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher

I'm sorry, but no. Charizard is one of the best heavies in the game, and has been thouroughly underrated by people. Fast jab, fast aerials, fast grab, good throws, decent recovery, quick dash and run....he's by no means worse than Mewtwo. Sure, Mewtwo's got some buffs now, but Charizard still outshines him in almost every respect.

Everybody who's gone into Charizard deeply enough has figured out that he is underrated by most people; even Zer0 thinks that Charizard is better than a lot of people say he is, and people who've gone in depth with the character say Charizard is one of the best heavyweights in the game for a good reason. People like vaBengal make Charizard look damn impressive, while Mewtwo still struggles to find a foothold in the metagame with very few people actively using him in tournaments.
I know plenty about Charizard. His neutral is hot garbage, and his reward is below average. I don't see it. Mewtwo even kills more consistently than Zard.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Is there a list or something showing the strongest attacks anywhere?
You know like who(after the patch) has like the strongest Fsmash or Usmash from strongest to weakest?

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, he says this about a lot of characters.

Aren't Japanese Mewtwos getting results of some kind?
Mewtwo does get more representation in Japan. I think they actually considered him a mid tier character before the patch so it'll be interesting to see what they think of him now.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Luigi mains started with an overcentralized throw, while Bowser mains did not. Bowser mains built their character meta off of tilts, OoS options, and punishing while Luigi players built it off of shield baiting then grabbing. With Luigi d-throw shenanigans gone, Luigi mains had to retool and rework around all that they've known Luigi for, giving a minor setback in his character development.

Now that Bowser does have a centralized throw, it gives him better punishment alongside all the other solid neutral techniques his mains forged over the past year. I'm not saying that he is already better than Luigi, I think he just has a more solid gameplan and more potential than Luigi does right now.
With all due respect: while Bowsers new throw is probably the greatest gift smash has ever given to him, I fail to see how it gives him a chance to have more overall potential over Luigi in the grand scheme of things. Bowser is still a big hurt box who couldn't land onstage to save his stock against a self respecting smash player. His frame data is decent for a heavy, but that's not really something you'd hold for bragging rights. Furthermore, Bowser's neutral...isn't bad at all, but I do believe Luigi's to be better. I think what Bowser has at this point is more potential for his advantage state...but that's it. His disadvantage stays awful, his neutral stays the same and his advantage improves. Overall, I'd say Luigi still has more potential. Don't get me wrong, Bowser is now a scary ******* when he's got you where he wants you, but part of the challenge has always been getting in to deal some pain. And before you say that's the same thing with Luigi, at least Luigi has an amazing projectile to work with and a disadvantage state that isn't complete garbage.

Oh Lordy, I'm doing it too. Can we stop comparing Luigi to Bowser now? It would be more worth our time to compare DK and Bowser to be completely honest. They share more than just a great throw.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Bear in mind it's best to take ZeRo's opinions with a grain of salt. He is indisputably an exceptionally knowledgeable player in terms of the game's technical depth, but he has a tendency to have radically different (sometimes even outright misinformed) opinions of characters compared to others.

I don't doubt he's highly regarded by Charizard players, but that's to be expected: they know the character to an intrinsic degree and probably use him in tournaments. But that doesn't mean they're not biased or themselves misinformed. It's very easy to say "my character can do this, that and the other" and maintain that your experience with the character is indicative of their potential in the meta, but at the end of the day, you still need to go out and get results. You need to turn that theory into reality.

You know who also has a fast jab, fast aerials, good throws, decent recovery, quick dash and run and, if not a fast grab, then certainly a functioning one with decent range?

Palutena.

You know why Palutena isn't considered one of the better characters in the game, despite getting results from good players?

Because she doesn't have good options in neutral, a good way to end stocks, a sustainable gameplan beyond d-throw followups or a decisive way to threaten in advantage. She seldom gets to use any of her good tools because she doesn't have the means to set up for that kind of game, and that holds her back. She still gets good singular results with certain players, because they know how to optimise what options she does have, but that does not mean she's viable at higher levels of play, or indeed a good character. It's fine to have a good kit, but quite another thing to be able to use it to good effect, especially when other characters have even better and more optimised kits than you. Everybody who's good at a certain character make that character look impressive. Watch Aerolink playing Palutena and tell me it isn't exciting to watch. But that doesn't make her a good character, because if the entire meta is carried by a small handful of extremely good players that know the character inside-out, there's honestly not much to work off of in the first place.

Now I'm not saying Charizard is a bad character, or that he doesn't have room to develop. For all I know, he does. But how do we know that he's objectively better than Mewtwo? It's not like either of them have set the world on fire recently, and right now, Mewtwo's in a better position than ever thanks to the very helpful buffs he received. It's not really fair to criticise Mewtwo for not being able to find his foothold in the meta when he's been struggling to use the tools he has until now. Wait a bit and see where it goes from here.

I'm also gonna have to ask that you explain why Charizard is "one of the best (super-)heavies", especially since DK's been climbing up the ranks like they're jungle vines and Bowser's been buffed significantly in the past few days. I don't see how Charizard can honestly do what they can do any better than they can. Not even being critical here, I'm honestly interested in what you think of it.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Literally nobody got nerfed for singles this patch.
Although true, that... wasn't related to my question at all. (Firefoxx gets it.) Whose MU against Mewtwo, Bowser or Lucas just notably worsened?

Mewtwo can also fair cloud right out of his sideb, the 4th sweep misses giving you an opening to hit him before the 5th slash. Surely other characters can get something out of this but it has to be something fast though.

I have also managed to hit the ground and shield the 5th hit so I think the correct type of DI for floaty and fast fallers might allow a lot of characters a free punish on this.
Yeah that's happened to me as well. Grounded non-LB Cross Slash is not very reliable. It reminds of Marth's Dancing Blade more and more every day. Except DB got fixed.

Well to be fair trying to hit someone at the apex of Climhazzard outside of recovery is a fairly dumb move, with or without Limit, when uair exists. You really want that initial thrust to make it as reliable as possible.
Oh I dunno. If someone is recovering high, uairing them pretty much guarantees they'll drift back to stage, but Climhazzard + the downward swipe stands a chance to spike them to their doom.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, Ness might of taken a hit because of the Dark Pit buff. Electroshock killing at like 90% in a good position (otherwise Ness's favorite position, mind you) is pretty big, and Ness is free if he has to use Uspecial. Not basically free like against most characters, but completely free because of the super armor.

Actually, can we talk about how crazy Electroshock is now? Okay, punishable as heck but it's got high kill power, covers nearly half of FD with a simple tech, tanks though most any attack (tethers are a ***** though, otherwise I wouldn't try challenging it with a grab), stuffs a variety of recoveries with ease, and this is all on a really durable character that already gets a massive boost from rage. You make the wrong move, or heck, just land funny, you're dead. Like I said, he's basically side B the character now.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Well, Ness might of taken a hit because of the Dark Pit buff. Electroshock killing at like 90% in a good position (otherwise Ness's favorite position, mind you) is pretty big, and Ness is free if he has to use Uspecial. Not basically free like against most characters, but completely free because of the super armor.

Actually, can we talk about how crazy Electroshock is now? Okay, punishable as heck but it's got high kill power, covers nearly half of FD with a simple tech, tanks though most any attack (tethers are a ***** though, otherwise I wouldn't try challenging it with a grab), stuffs a variety of recoveries with ease, and this is all on a really durable character that already gets a massive boost from rage. You make the wrong move, or heck, just land funny, you're dead. Like I said, he's basically side B the character now.
DP's Side-B has a use outside of the Rosa MU now and I think that's pretty cool! But unfortunately it's still Side-B, yeah. That being said it's very rewarding but you also have to press your positioning well to land it, and catch something laggy, but hey, reward is reward! It at least gives more merit to Dark Pit as a whole. At least saying "He has a better Side-B" is actually 100% true now.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm also gonna have to ask that you explain why Charizard is "one of the best (super-)heavies", especially since DK's been climbing up the ranks like they're jungle vines and Bowser's been buffed significantly in the past few days. I don't see how Charizard can honestly do what they can do any better than they can. Not even being critical here, I'm honestly interested in what you think of it.
His recovery both ways is the best of the super heavies, even without customs; though to be fair, when your only competition is garbage in either one department or the other, that's not all that hard to do. :p

But he's definitely the most versatile of the super heavies, too; he can play spacing and can play the close-up game and does both pretty well. The reason I place Charizard above DK and Bowser is because they have a harder time recovering than Charizard does, even in spite of being technically stronger; they only really have one recovery move each, and DK's is hot garbage if your below the stage, while Bowser's is at least decent, but suffers from being faster and going farther horizontally than vertically. Flare Blitz does wonders for Charizard's recovery, since it basically gives him one of the best horizontal recoveries in the game, albeit at the cost of some chip damage, while Fly is a great OOS option and good for getting back onto the stage from below the ledge.

His aerials come out fast and combo well into other moves, and having Flamethrower to shut down projectiles is a great benefit for him, since it lets him get in close without too much risk. His jab is extremely quick for his weight class, too. DK and Bowser are good, but they still have big flaws that limit their potential (basically, they both have one-note recoveries which are easy to gimp). Same with Ike, although I'll concede that Ike is definitely close behind Charizard in terms of viability.

I don't think he's at B+ tier, but I'd hazard that maybe the middle of B is a good place for him. I cannot see Charizard as being worse than Little Mac. I mean, I love Little Mac, but there's no chance that he's better than Charizard, even with his ridiculous ground game.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I've never seen a good DK struggle to recover enough for me to consider it an issue. Say what you will, but there is not a shot in hell that Charizard is better than DK. That's ridiculous. Maybe if your character had a single active player my mind could be changed but I doubt it.

Also Dedede has better vertical recovery than Zard. Flare Blitz is also overrated as a recovery move. People can jump out and intercept it, and it will stop in its tracks. This is usually not worth the risk but it remains an option. Again, we might see this explored if anyone played the character.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
But he's definitely the most versatile of the super heavies, too; he can play spacing and can play the close-up game and does both pretty well. The reason I place Charizard above DK and Bowser is because they have a harder time recovering than Charizard does, even in spite of being technically stronger; they only really have one recovery move each, and DK's is hot garbage if your below the stage, while Bowser's is at least decent, but suffers from being faster and going farther horizontally than vertically. Flare Blitz does wonders for Charizard's recovery, since it basically gives him one of the best horizontal recoveries in the game, albeit at the cost of some chip damage, while Fly is a great OOS option and good for getting back onto the stage from below the ledge.
Right, Charizard has an easier time getting back to the stage than DK and Bowser.

What about the rest of the fight when they're not off-stage? How is he supposed to compete with everything else that DK and Bowser can do? DK is fast, has great pokes and an absolutely disgusting grab game; Bowser isn't too far behind in any of them, especially with the Shell Shock Koo-Pah u-throw u-air buff.

His aerials come out fast and combo well into other moves, and having Flamethrower to shut down projectiles is a great benefit for him, since it lets him get in close without too much risk. His jab is extremely quick for his weight class, too. DK and Bowser are good, but they still have big flaws that limit their potential (basically, they both have one-note recoveries which are easy to gimp). Same with Ike, although I'll concede that Ike is definitely close behind Charizard in terms of viability.
You put way too much stock into recovery. If that's the big thing separates good characters from bad ones, then why in the world is Falcon considered an objectively better character than Zelda? Why does Fox stand head and shoulder above Palutena? It's because they have better neutral games, can pressure opponents effectively, end stocks reliably and have more than a handful of options at any one time. Literally the only thing they do better than Falcon is recovery. Considering Falcon is a heavyweight, he's probably going to live longer than either of them by default. Recovery is not the be-all / end-all of a character's viability, especially when they're so heavy that getting them off-stage is a battle in itself.

I'm sorry, but if you think Ike is behind Charizard in terms of viability, you have not been paying attention to the meta for the past year. Ike has been buffed to hell and back since release, he's getting results left, right and centre, he even has at least one Top 8 result in a major. Ike has been considered a solid high-tier character for months. That is a character that has a good neutral, combos that go on forever, great edgeguarding potential, an abundance of safe and rewarding options - and, yes, two functioning recoveries. There's no comparison. Ike is objectively a better character than Charizard.

I don't think he's at B+ tier, but I'd hazard that maybe the middle of B is a good place for him. I cannot see Charizard as being worse than Little Mac. I mean, I love Little Mac, but there's no chance that he's better than Charizard, even with his ridiculous ground game.
I don't think Mac is necessarily better either, but that's not entirely relevant. Neither of them have done much to justify them being considered very good characters. To be fair, neither have Mewtwo or Bowser, but it's been three days since they were buffed: it will take a while before we have a better idea as to how more viable this had made them, if it indeed had at all. There's nothing to suggest Charizard is any better than them, especially when their meta has gotten a non-trivial kick-start in the most recent patch.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Honestly outside matchups where arrows make a huge difference (fill me on this) I don't see how Pit is beter than Dark Pit anymore. Killing really early off one good read is pretty damn good.

His side B is pretty bonkers.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly outside matchups where arrows make a huge difference (fill me on this) I don't see how Pit is beter than Dark Pit anymore. Killing really early off one good read is pretty damn good.

His side B is pretty bonkers.
They make a difference in pretty much every matchup, if only by default. There's really no matchup where you want Dark Pit's arrows, the versatility of Pit's are just too handy to not have. That and Pit's f-tilt still has better kill power than Dark Pit's, so that's worth mentioning.

If nothing else, it's even more of a redundancy to try and determine who's better. They both have great strengths.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I keep having to remind myself that not everyone has the luxury of nullifying projectiles with a button press.

I do like how the Electroshock buffs have given Dark Pit his own niche, even if it focuses him around that single move.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Gonna need more of a sample group than this to change people's minds, bud.
Really? Cause I was totally going to decide how the new Bowser v. Luigi matchup plays out based on one set in one tournament. :p

We can sit here and theorycraft until hell freezes over while still being no closer to understanding how the matchup plays out, or we can watch actual players at actual tournaments actually playing these characters and make judgement calls from there. I choose the latter.

No, a few sets aren't going to give us an exact idea of how much things have changed in this or any other matchup, but we have two players who are used to playing against each other on a regular basis using these characters so we can at least observe how much mileage LeTroof gets out of Shell Shocking Boss and begin the collecting of data from there.

And frankly, data would be easier to collect if there were more Bowser players in tournaments but there really aren't right now so we have to take what we can get...

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm sorry, but if you think Ike is behind Charizard in terms of viability, you have not been paying attention to the meta for the past year. Ike has been buffed to hell and back since release, he's getting results left, right and centre, he even has at least one Top 8 result in a major. Ike has been considered a solid high-tier character for months. That is a character that has a good neutral, combos that go on forever, great edgeguarding potential, an abundance of safe and rewarding options - and, yes, two functioning recoveries. There's no comparison. Ike is objectively a better character than Charizard.
I didn't actually say Ike was worse than Charizard; in fact, I'm not even sure why people place Ike so low on lists, either. Him and Charizard are both underutilized...but Ike also seems to be getting a lot more respect than Charizard, even after Charizard's been getting so many buffs with only a few nerfs just like Ike has. Plenty of people would say that Ike is too low on the tier lists, but nobody says it about Charizard except the people who use him; even though they're both very good. Ike may be objectively better in some areas, but Charizard is still by no means a garbage character.

And IIRC, Charizards did make it into the top 32 of EVO 2015, but I've been looking around and sources don't seem to be much help on that matter and never list characters for all of the top 32. Charizard is just kind of...well, neglected. Not many people want to try using him in tournaments because nobody uses him and nobody knows how he fares in high-level play, thus creating something of a vicious cycle. Ike at least had support to break that cycle, but Charizard seems to get placed in the bottom of the barrel tiers even after all the buffs he's been receiving.

It's weird, too; because everyone's clamoring for Mewtwo to move up the list, but Charizard is still left at near E tier, even though he is by no means that bad a character. Not godly powerful, but certainly not close to awful.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
They make a difference in pretty much every matchup, if only by default. There's really no matchup where you want Dark Pit's arrows, the versatility of Pit's are just too handy to not have. That and Pit's f-tilt still has better kill power than Dark Pit's, so that's worth mentioning.

If nothing else, it's even more of a redundancy to try and determine who's better. They both have great strengths.
Normally I'd agree but uh....
https://twitter.com/L1_Koolaid/status/677594982765764608

This is pretty absurd lol, I'm swayed over to Dark Pit.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I didn't actually say Ike was worse than Charizard; in fact, I'm not even sure why people place Ike so low on lists, either. Him and Charizard are both underutilized...but Ike also seems to be getting a lot more respect than Charizard, even after Charizard's been getting so many buffs with only a few nerfs just like Ike has. Plenty of people would say that Ike is too low on the tier lists, but nobody says it about Charizard except the people who use him; even though they're both very good. Ike may be objectively better in some areas, but Charizard is still by no means a garbage character.

And IIRC, Charizards did make it into the top 32 of EVO 2015, but I've been looking around and sources don't seem to be much help on that matter and never list characters for all of the top 32. Charizard is just kind of...well, neglected. Not many people want to try using him in tournaments because nobody uses him and nobody knows how he fares in high-level play, thus creating something of a vicious cycle. Ike at least had support to break that cycle, but Charizard seems to get placed in the bottom of the barrel tiers even after all the buffs he's been receiving.

It's weird, too; because everyone's clamoring for Mewtwo to move up the list, but Charizard is still left at near E tier, even though he is by no means that bad a character. Not godly powerful, but certainly not close to awful.
Honestly, you should be glad people underrate your character. That makes your character even more deadly. Nobody will know how to beat him.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I hate to say it, but if you think Zard is better than everyone else says he is, go out and prove it, and I'm not being snarky when I say that but sincere.

You want to advance Zard's meta faster? Show people that there's more to him. Show people that he can wreck faces like the best of them.

There are a lot of players out there that just won't pick up a character unless they seriously feel they have a chance at winning with them. If you think they do, show them. It's the best you can do for your character.

Dusk Pit

Smash Apprentice
Pit's arrows are no game changer. They are a good nuisance off stage and rack up a little damage but that's really it. Good for For Glory gimping but not gonna gimp anyone a little more talented player. Pit's Ftilt on the other hand is superior to Dark Pit's.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
His recovery both ways is the best of the super heavies, even without customs; though to be fair, when your only competition is garbage in either one department or the other, that's not all that hard to do. :p

Okay. This is a good example of why you shouldn't talk about characters you know nothing about.

If you think DK is easy to gimp and that his recovery is a weakness, you have never played a good DK before.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
In regards to the Mewtwo/Zard discussion. Mewtwo has a couple of really good people playing him.

Mewsquared, PR'd in DFW
P2P with Gibus, same

Raynoire, PR'd 4th? in his region

LOF Blue, top 8 at KTAR 14

And more as well.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Okay. This is a good example of why you shouldn't talk about characters you know nothing about.

If you think DK is easy to gimp and that his recovery is a weakness, you have never played a good DK before.
I've tried hitting DK out of Up+B. It's surprisingly hard and I've only found it realistic with really good disjoint and timing. Like, most heavies in this game actually have pretty solid recoveries....

except for like, Ganondorf and Falcon. Dang.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
I have to say that Zard's Fly OoS is very overrated. I mean it comes on frame 9 (you won't be hitting Wario or any other character with a great air mobility with that move due to them being able to fade away before you can hit) if I remember correctly and due to high distance it travels missed one will be punished rather easily. What makes Doc's Up-B OoS so great? It is fast, travels a short distance (very short time to get punished even when missed) and a lot of power.

It is a great OoS move on low lvl of gameplay, but on a mid and high lvls of play it is only good (in the same place with Swordfighter's Hero Spin).

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Some Mewtwo numbers:

Up Air sweetspot is only slightly less powerful than Mewtwo's fair. Same base knockback (40), slightly less knockback growth (97), slightly less damage (13 vs 11), and 3 frames slower in exchange for greater coverage and "range" (loses a bit of power hitting with the other tail hitboxes).

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I've tried hitting DK out of Up+B. It's surprisingly hard and I've only found it realistic with really good disjoint and timing. Like, most heavies in this game actually have pretty solid recoveries....
It can be done, but it's not easy.

ZeRo does it to DK Will at about 1 min:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I have to say that Zard's Fly OoS is very overrated. I mean it comes on frame 9 (you won't be hitting Wario or any other character with a great air mobility with that move due to them being able to fade away before you can hit) if I remember correctly and due to high distance it travels missed one will be punished rather easily. What makes Doc's Up-B OoS so great? It is fast, travels a short distance (very short time to get punished even when missed) and a lot of power.

It is a great OoS move on low lvl of gameplay, but on a mid and high lvls of play it is only good (in the same place with Swordfighter's Hero Spin).
By the same token we have Cloud's Finishing Touch, which not only has comparable startup but no armor at all. To say that he can kill you with it on any mistake is a bit of an exaggeration.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I'm buying into the Mewtwo hype. I can't see him as anything but solid now. (Even if he's filled with nothing but hot air. [HAHA WEIGHT JOKE!!])

Nobie Nobie pretty much said it all, but didn't mention that with his newly christened ground speed, and his old strength and floatiness Mewtwo's probably one of the best at smacking players across the stage and then being able to reach them in time to setup edgeguards, with which he can go deep.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Mewtwo can essentially carry you to the blastzones now at early percents. He might just be better than we think.

https://youtu.be/yltskc53Lyg

Too early to say he might be a horizontal Meta Knight? :p Or I might be just buying into the hype.

EDIT: I bought into the hype

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Mewtwo can essentially carry you to the blastzones now at early percents. He might just be better than we think.

https://youtu.be/yltskc53Lyg

Too early to say he might be a horizontal Meta Knight? :p Or I might be just buying into the hype.
Do note the video description states that Optimal DI wasn't present.

I imagine this works on fastfallers but not floaties. Interesting regardless, can we get some tests with outwards DI and mashing?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I think the problem is that people just don't see high level Mewtwo play so they're basing their arguments on For Glory and what they can do in training mode. We just need someone to show what Mewtwo can do at a tournament level for people to start changing their minds.
Well, it's not just Mewtwo that has this problem; it's shared with Link, Little Mac, Robin and even Marth at times. Some people can go out of their way to show a character is good, but it's often overshadowed by people who are on "the top" and play the top tier characters. Not only that, but outside of tournaments and into Smash Ladder (by the way, people on there are stuck in the 1.0.6. mindset), when someone wants to prove a character is good, often or not people will still reject the idea of said character being viable and it's treated as "common knowledge" there.

People don't see high level Link even though he's received so many buffs to make him extremely viable; this makes people miss so many points about him and treat him like he's low tier when he's just not; he's a solid character himself and with the special buffs he received, he shouldn't be anywhere lower than upper middle tier now, at least. People may not see it straight away, but Link having a killing F-Air is pretty amazing to have.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Most of Climhazzard's power is at the start of the move, especially in Limit where it works as a nice OOS kill move over 100%.
Really? Do you mean as soon as the animation starts or as soon as Cloud jumps? I've had instances where the red lightning appears but they barely fly very high even past 100% if I gut/poke them with limit climhazzard from the ground. o.o;

Also honestly...how is Kirby's worst Match up NOT Metaknight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom