• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Board Specific Matchup Chart Project (Last Update: 12/21)- Not a tier list!

Adapt

Smash Lord
These are the Hex values for the colors he posted:
Red= C40F0F
Orange= EB792D
Yellow= F7ED51
Green= 1EBC56
Blue= 065CA5

In Photoshop, click on the Foreground or Background color (the two squares, one overlaps the other) to select your color. In that window, there should be a space to insert the above numbers. In my version it's near the bottom of the window, leftmost next to the color spectrum.
you can also save the picture that he uploaded and use the eyedropper to pick the color

(which is prolly what you did Neo lol)

Timbers

check me out
I'll look into it. How would I obtain those colors? I can see it, but I can't actually take it from you. >_>
It was already mentioned, but simply copy+pasting the image into photoshop, and then using the eyedropper will work.

The values were already posted for the colors as well.

and the chart we have now is fine. The other chart is, no offense, overdone and somewhat gaudy.

Overswarm's begun a matchup thread on ROB boards. I personally think it's more consistant and accurate than the thread you're currently using. The previous ROB thread is very slow to update and has a lot of unneeded flaws from random forum users. If you decide to still use that thread, then if anything, OS' thread will at least fill the gaps that the previous matchup topic has.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183492

The matchup chart starts on the second post of his thread (the first being a guide to ROB) and may continue into more posts as it grows. I'm not entirely sure myself.

There are no numbers, but it's pretty easy to understand. The match is labelled whether in favor of ROB or the opponent.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
neo, let's put it this way, I couldn't tell there WAS a purple. There's a weak lavender but... it's all very difficult to make out.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Regarding Zelda/Sheik:

Or you could just leave it empty til everyone start discussing ZeldaSheik as a whole. I dunno.
err...fine.

No worries, I'm not too happy with it myself. I just wanted to post it and be done with it because it was taking more time than I'd initially expected. Just to clear something up- you are using Photoshop, right? If you aren't, there really isn't any reason for me to pursue facelifting this chart because you couldn't use it anyway.
Technically, no. But I do technically have it...

neo, let's put it this way, I couldn't tell there WAS a purple. There's a weak lavender but... it's all very difficult to make out.
same thing here.

Everyone- New chart. I've got both up there for you guys to compare. It's using the colors timbers gave me.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
you can also save the picture that he uploaded and use the eyedropper to pick the color

(which is prolly what you did Neo lol)
Actually, I used a utility (I'm running a Mac) called DigitalColor Meter. For some reason I didn't even think of the obvious. :)

Okay, so... I have a new, potentially much better chart.

It's kinda neat. I figured out that if you make the layer of the opponent names in the chart "overlay", they burn into the colors. Once there are more colors, the names inside the grid will become easier to see.

This is more like the standard (current) chart as well. I figured I'd try to synthesize a bit. :)

Man, I really want to put a little SSBB symbol in the upper left corner.

Timbers

check me out
DanGR, you really gotta start saving the charts as .png, and not .jpg.

.jpg really kills image quality.

neo, perhaps make the colors darker and the borders darker. Right now it kinda clashes x_x

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
It would have been better if you don't have their names in the middle of the chart(the ones in the white text) they seem pretty pointless and make it hard to read, otherwise its perfect :)

EDIT: Also, for the new chart(which is better IMO) It would have been better to put purple than gray in the big advantages, it will be easier to read :)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Danger, I find your chart a bit glarring, but it's rather obvious, so *thumbs up*.

neoREgen, slightly more different shades would be nice, still a little difficult to tell, I like the overlay though.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
neo, perhaps make the colors darker and the borders darker. Right now it kinda clashes x_x
Yeah. That's what I'd attempted to prevent in the first iteration I did. Smashboards is dark and having a white chart glares.
It's much easier to read the chart itself when it is white rather than grey though.
Maybe I will apply a dark overlay to the whole thing, but I'm out of ideas other than that.

It would have been better if you don't have their names in the middle of the chart(the ones in the white text) they seem pretty pointless and make it hard to read, otherwise its perfect :)
Well, that's actually my favorite thing about the chart. Once there's more color, you'll be able to read the names better. It helps me scan from left to right easier without having to stop and scroll up or down to the vertical name listings.

Anyone else have opinions on this?

EDIT: Also, for the new chart(which is better IMO) It would have been better to put purple than gray in the big advantages, it will be easier to read :)
It actually is purple, but point taken. My purple is not purple enough.

The new chart looks great, it is sleek, soft and easy to read, you and your helpers have gone above and beyond, thanks!
Hahhah. Thank you. I laugh because the creator of this thread and I have no prior association at all. I just decided to do this last night. DanGR says that if it is preferred by most people, he will use the chart I've made, but really- he wasn't expecting this at all. It wasn't planned. It's just a community submission.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I mentioned this before

EL's statements that are in the thread initially mentioned in this thread aren't necessarily the current consensus of the Marth community, EL included.

Specifically, Marth vs. Falco is not agreed upon, Marth boards say 60-40 Marth, Falco boards say even. Remove the match-up from the chart so we can fight it out (Marth and Falco boards).

Check this thread for our most up to date match-up data.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I have a couple updates.
First, is the chart that is (as far as I'm concerned) in it's final version.

For comparison, I've uploaded a chart that has no text in the middle. I urge you not to just stare at it blankly, because then the chart without text inside will look more appealing- it is simply less cluttered. I want you to try to read through them. When I am actively reading one I find the text is very helpful, as I just have to focus in a little more instead of referring to the top or bottom bars.
I've added dark bars to help you keep your place in the textless versions. (It's too much going on to do both bars and text.)

Second, I wanted to show you what these might look like when they are nearing completion to help you visualize how the same chart will change.
Blank:

The light colored bars would have to get far darker in order to help you keep your place in the stuffed-full version.

Busy:

I'm thinking that from your comments I will make one more revision and post it here for DanGR to take or leave at his will. Or vote on, or whatever.

Any last thoughts? Sorry for making you load so many big pictures.

Timbers

check me out
I think you darkened the colors correct? It looks much better with darker colors.

I'm torn between the text within the chart and without, though. If the text is to stay, I certainly think that overlay should not be your method. When it laps over the red and orange, it looks terrible. How does leaving the text on normal (black) at a low opacity look?

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
i wouldn't really trust brahmas thread, every dk player main on that thread said he had an advantage over snake, then cyphus and a couple of non dk players said no and he sided with them, really, cyphus trolls that thread a lot, and brahma believes him

if you want, i run a group of about 5 really good dk players (myself, cbk, ripple, jmex, and axelol) and we can piece together the dk matchups, unfortunately it would be done on allisbrawl

seriously though, one of the dk mains posts a vid of kdj beating cort with dk, and all the non dk players say cort was a bad snake (not making this up). the thread was started on good intentions but has trolled to hell. don't use that thread for dk

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
i wouldn't really trust brahmas thread, every dk player main on that thread said he had an advantage over snake, then cyphus and a couple of non dk players said no and he sided with them, really, cyphus trolls that thread a lot, and brahma believes him

if you want, i run a group of about 5 really good dk players (myself, cbk, ripple, jmex, and axelol) and we can piece together the dk matchups, unfortunately it would be done on allisbrawl

seriously though, one of the dk mains posts a vid of kdj beating cort with dk, and all the non dk players say cort was a bad snake (not making this up). the thread was started on good intentions but has trolled to hell. don't use that thread for dk
Trust this man, he's wise beyond his years.

and hey, what up bigfoot? lol

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
I think you darkened the colors correct? It looks much better with darker colors.

I'm torn between the text within the chart and without, though. If the text is to stay, I certainly think that overlay should not be your method. When it laps over the red and orange, it looks terrible. How does leaving the text on normal (black) at a low opacity look?
Yes. I made all the colors more prominent and applied a layer of darkness to the whole thing so that it doesn't glare as much.
Solid black just clutters it worse. I tried having it as a low opacity before as well, and the text just started getting confused with the grid.
The overlay is the best way that I've figured out how to do it. It's odd how the text looks red in the orange boxes, but other than that I think it's a nice in-between (between solid and none).

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
EL's statements that are in the thread initially mentioned in this thread aren't necessarily the current consensus of the Marth community, EL included.

Specifically, Marth vs. Falco is not agreed upon, Marth boards say 60-40 Marth, Falco boards say even. Remove the match-up from the chart so we can fight it out (Marth and Falco boards).

Check this thread for our most up to date match-up data.
I've added it to my list of updates. I've got a lot of things to do right now, so just bare with me.

that would be totally fine. After you guys discuss them,(in depth I assume) you can just send me the link or post it in this thread. I'll take away the one that's up.

Everyone
- I've decided to start a poll to decide which chart I'll use. If the results are too close, I'll update two charts so you can use whichever one you want.
Question: Which do you like better? Neo's chart, or the chart that's up right now.

Neo-0
Current-0

After each vote, I'd like the person to say the current numbers.

ex. The first person's posts should look somewhat like this:

Uh...I like Neo's better.

Neo-1
Current-0

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I prefer your first chart, DanGR (the one with the darkened colors).
There's two charts in the OP. So you like the first one better? The second is the darker one though. I'm confused.

Neo-Actually Neo, the chart you have that's almost finished won't look that way. I'm going to order the characters based on how good their matchups are-similar fashion to phanna's chart.

The count so far is
Current-2
Neo-1

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
DanGR's chart with darkened colors then.

I'm sorry but the other style (Neo's) doesn't fit.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
DanGR's is infinitely better.... the other one is stylish but WAY harder to read.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Danger!!!!

oh and btw, Falcon Vs. Squirtle = Falcon Advantage? I don't think so, if you are looking at the PT boards, that is wrong we didn't really think it through, right now the Falcon Boards is probably right since we aren't focusing on them, so change it to neutral

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Danger!!!!

oh and btw, Falcon Vs. Squirtle = Falcon Advantage? I don't think so, if you are looking at the PT boards, that is wrong we didn't really think it through, right now the Falcon Boards is probably right since we aren't focusing on them, so change it to neutral
Do you have a link to a different, better matchup thread? The current PT matchup thread was given to me b/c they thought it was reliable and fairly up-to-date.

The current tally:
Current-6
Neo-1

Mmac

Smash Lord
Falcon claims on their matchup that Squirtle is one of the only two Characters that Falcon has an avantage on (The other is Yoshi, which they only base on Paper >_>).

However, I can see why, Falcon does have a Chaingrab, and a Sliding Usmash on release on Squirtle

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
All Zelda mains agree G&W is her worst matchup... I don't think any would put him hard counter... but he's bad.

Zelda shiek fairs better, in my experience, but it's still an uphil battle... I'd say putting it at orange is safe, because it's certainly no better for Zelda than that.

I've been doing MUCH better against marths now that I've figured out their new range a bit more.... it's still probably bad... but no WAY it's a big advantage... I'd put it orange for now.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Hmm...I gotta say Neo's, since I'm lazy about scrolling back up/down. :D

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Neo's.

Both color schemes for DanGR's chart are way too glaring, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's eyes hurt when they look a it.

I've added it to my list of updates. I've got a lot of things to do right now, so just bare with me.
Ok, cool, just wanted to make sure it wasn't forgotten.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
I vote for DanGR's since its waay easier to read. the other one is stylish
Man, this makes me sad as I've always been on the anti-stylish pro-usability front myself, and that's exactly the reason why I made the chart- To make it more usable.
I threw in the beautification as a nicety, but never expected it to actually decrease the value of the thing. Alas, now I am but one of those trendy pointless designers I never cared to be. Oh, woe is me.
Sorry- had to go overboard whilst explaining.

There's two charts in the OP. So you like the first one better? The second is the darker one though. I'm confused.

Neo-Actually Neo, the chart you have that's almost finished won't look that way. I'm going to order the characters based on how good their matchups are-similar fashion to phanna's chart.
If you actually want to make the comparison and ask people to vote, you should post mine along with yours on the front page (the top one of the last post that I made) so that there is no confusion. I've posted 6 charts so far and most people don't want to click through every page...

Although,
I'm not sure how easy it'll be to move the characters around in mine. Are you actually using a charting program? Like where you can just drag the whole line up or down and rearrange them? Because if you are, you shouldn't even consider using mine. Mine would require making a rectangular selector, making sure you have it right, cut/pasting it to a different layer, then moving it, then repeating for the stat color. It really doesn't seem like a good idea to rearrange it if you end up with mine...

Anyway, even if mine isn't preferred, I enjoyed the designing process.
Well, fare well.

Edit: Here's the link to my most recent one. Throw it in some img things and you're golden.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa105/neoREgen/SSBB/matchupop1.png

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Though the matchup colours would have been easier if they were based on Acid/Alkaline for example

Red(Strong Acid) Would mean a big disadvantage
Yellow/Orange(preferably Yellow)(weak Acid) Would mean a small disadvantage
Green(Neutral/Water) Would mean neutral
Blue(Weak Alkaline) Would mean a small advantage
Purple(Strong Alkaline) Woulf mean a big advantage

easier to read, based on somthing, all colours are clear. Neo's list would be perfect if he replaced the grayish colour for big advantages for a dark purple

EDIT: Neo's newer list is perfect, I change my vote to that =)

EDIT 2: Hopefully someone might redesign/Takeover Ivan's List, I would have done that if I had Photoshop and the skills.

Top Bottom