• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Advertisement Project

Ulevo

Smash Master
Okay. As most of you are aware, recently threads have been popping up in character specific boards with the intent of promoting discussion, and talking about how great said character is in Brawl Plus, to help promote the game.

Now, the problem I see here is that we have really nothing to show for what it is we are promoting. We don't have any advertisement. No one can link to a video (or many videos) with a solid match promoting a specific character very well for most of the cast where they just downright kicked ***, and especially not many that are up to our current code set, v 3.3.

I propose that everyone gets together, and saves replays of three solid, exciting, relatively tasteful and tactical videos of a match happening with every character. Once you have saved your three replays for that character, send them to myself and I will personally upload them, and have them posted in their respective threads.

The video requirements are the following:

- Time must be 7:00 minutes at most
- Each replay must be played on a different stage for all three replays, to show case what that character can do on multiple maps
- Each replay must have that character facing a different opposing character
- The matches must promote high quality, displaying combos, techniques, and intelligent play that showcases that character well, with little mistakes or overwhelming errors
- The replays must all have the same code set, being v 3.3 (See below for NOTE:)

Please note that I am a picky individual, and thus I will be reviewing these videos myself. If I feel these videos do not serve the character properly, I will ask for a resubmission of other replay(s). This way, I feel we can effectively say "look everyone, Brawl Plus is amazing, this character ***** now, and here's why!"

Please feel free to give me your thoughts on this. When videos have been submitted to me, I will mark down which characters are finished. You're welcome to submit more if you wish, however I will only upload the three best replays for a particular character. I would also like for everyone to post which character it is they will be attempting to save a replay for, as I do not want everyone to all be doing Captain Falcon. :p

NOTE: Before this project is to be started, I want to come to an agreement on what the current hitstun should be set to. As of lately, there have been quite a few comments suggesting that the hitstun is too low, allowing for less than adequate combo potential for characters. I myself have experienced this as well. This is potentially bad for the matches we want to save and upload, so I would like some thoughts on what it is we should set the hitstun to in order to record proper videos.

Max is four per character, going in order of post. If you wish to pawn off a character to someone else, you may do so once it is posted here.

Bowser: The Cape

Captain Falcon: kupo15, shanus

Diddy Kong: Falco400, shanus

Donkey Kong: goodoldganon, Falco400

Falco: leafgreen386

Fox: Ulevo, shanus

G&W:

Ganondorf: leafgreen386, kupo15, goodoldganon, shanus

Ice Climbers:

Ike: Ulevo, Dark Sonic

Jigglypuff:

King Dedede: The Cape

Kirby:

Link: goodoldganon

Lucario:

Lucas:

Luigi:

Mario: The Cape

Marth: Ulevo, Dark Sonic

Meta Knight: Ulevo, shanus

Ness:

Olimar: shanus

Peach: Niko K

Pikachu: leafgreen386, Ulevo

Pit: Dark Sonic, kupo15

Pokemon Trainer: Ulevo

Squirtle: Ulevo, shanus

Ivysaur: Ulevo, The Cape

Charizard: Ulevo

R.O.B.: shanus

Samus: goodoldganon

Sheik: leafgreen386

Snake: goodoldganon

Sonic: shanus, Dark Sonic

Toon Link: shanus

Wario: goodoldganon

Wolf: Falco400

Yoshi: Lord Karn

Zelda: Ulevo

Zero Suit Samus: Ulevo, Yeroc

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
We should get beta 4 out before doing this, I think. We'll have the teching code and a better idea about what to do for hitstun, too, as well as possibly a few other tweaks that we have been talking about.

That said, I'll be collecting replays of ganon, pika, falco, and sheik.

edit: and the time limit... is that all three matches combined, or each match? Because a 7 minute brawl+ match is incredibly long and I think it would probably be best not to use one that long, but I don't think you could reasonably fit three brawl+ matches in a 7 minute time limit.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Meta Knight, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Fox for me then.

And the time limit is just to ensure that each replay doesn't get ridiculously long for some strange reason. And yes, 7:00 minutes per replay is the max. If it is of good quality, I don't mind how long it is as long as it's no more than 7:00 minutes.

kupo15

Smash Hero
falcon and ganon for me.

At the same token for hitstun, a too high of a setting can also look bad and probably worse than too low of a setting. I personally think .484 is too high.

My only qualm is this. Do I HAVE to use the plussery set to the "T" to be considered? I ask this because no one I play with uses pt, mk, or bowser so why should I be forced to waste these code lines in order to be considered for posting when I can include other codes that we agree is good for game?

Ulevo

Smash Master
falcon and ganon for me.

At the same token for hitstun, a too high of a setting can also look bad and probably worse than too low of a setting. I personally think .484 is too high.

My only qualm is this. Do I HAVE to use the plussery set to the "T" to be considered? I ask this because no one I play with uses pt, mk, or bowser so why should I be forced to waste these code lines in order to be considered for posting when I can include other codes that we agree is good for game?
Just be consistent with it where it matters. If everyone uses the Tornado nerf code in 3.4 (just as an example), then I'd prefer it if you had that on if you are showcasing Meta Knight, or showcasing another character while fighting Meta Knight. As long as the replays stay consistent.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Well Ganondorf has been taken...twice.

I'll do Snake and Wario.

Was about to say DK but Falco400 came and said he did it. *sigh* Why are my bests so popular?

I can try Samus too I suppose.

EDIT: 8.5 hitstun. Also, yes whatever our official codeset is we should all use it. The only code I can see not having a big impact if you were to remove some of those character codes would be the camera one. Either way, everyone should stick to the official codeset.

Revven

FrankerZ
You know I already did DK (still need to upload the other 3.3 matches... **** my external drive not working atm) and I still have to do Diddy Kong and Wolf, shanus can help me with Wolf actually...

shanus

Smash Hero
I can do any of the following: Fox, Falcon, Sonic, MK, ROB, Diddy, Squirtle, Dorf, TL

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
goodoldganon, if you get a good ganon clip, don't feel like you shouldn't submit it... the fact that three four of us will be working on ganon clips means we should end up with very quality matches for him. That's all.

Ulevo

Smash Master
goodoldganon, if you get a good ganon clip, don't feel like you shouldn't submit it... the fact that three four of us will be working on ganon clips means we should end up with very quality matches for him. That's all.
Precisely. I don't mind multiple submissions. I just want to avoid everyone making matches of the same character(s), and thus others are left out. We need replays made for everyone, not just one or two characters.

And sadly enough, my Ganon is pretty decent as well. :dizzy:

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I trust you guys to do Ganon justice. Sure I'll upload a match with him, but I'll try and upload some matches of characters we never hear from. Like Wario. WTF is up with that? Screw you guys Wario is the man. Why don't I ever hear about him? :)

Ulevo

Smash Master
Warios bite is... so stupid. I can't describe how good it is.

Oh, I am personally reserving a spot for Peach for Niko. I know he'd love to do it for Peach, and I don't think there is anyone currently more qualified. He ***** me with Peach within the first few minutes of playing Brawl Plus.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I suggest a list at the top. Write all 39 characters down and cross out or put a check or X next to their name. This way we don't have 20 people signing up for someone like Falcon or Ganon. That way we can get the more diverse players, like Shanus or myself, to pick up the oddballs. Like Shanus has ROB, TL, and MK. The only time I ever hear about them is when we want to nerf MK even further.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I suggest a list at the top. Write all 39 characters down and cross out or put a check or X next to their name. This way we don't have 20 people signing up for someone like Falcon or Ganon. That way we can get the more diverse players, like Shanus or myself, to pick up the oddballs. Like Shanus has ROB, TL, and MK. The only time I ever hear about them is when we want to nerf MK even further.
Done and done.

For the record, I threw in my characters without editing my post because I am lazy. Just putting that out there.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
The Cape and I probably have a number of good Yoshi vids by Lord Karn as well.

It's too bad that the bulk of the public face of this project is probably going to have to wait until the legalities have been sorted out. :(:(:(

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I'll do Link. So I have Samus, Wario, Snake and Link. Ganon and DK matches will surely pop up with them being my mains, but I'll concentrate on the first 4.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
do we have to send u replay files? whenever i record videos from my wii to my comp i erase the replay to save space since i record em in high qual anyway.

i have all the original versions of these vids on my comp

Trainer
this match isnt too bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdWMHQz04gU

Marth
this vid is pretty amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI6DWZ9h_x8

Falco:
this vid is on ghz cause we were trying to prove its broken... and well... falcos pretty **** broken lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQiNOABdgNE
i aeriald into his shield a lil bit too much in the first stock or two as it was one of my earlier falco matches, but i like the match overall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cKhpCmpTVw

il send u original records if u want

i like the idea of this project

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Chibo, I watched your falco matches... you're really missing out on a lot of falco's potential. You only had like one half-decent combo the whole time on the second match, and it was only three hits. You also could've made much smarter approaches than you did. I couldn't even finish watching the first falco vid, which really just shows vex running into spinners. A lot.

I also just watched the marth match. Er... ok. You got *****. And? All it does is show marth spiking. A lot.

Top Bottom