• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Challenger Pack 11 Reaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Legit impressed they got Disney to go along with this, since Sora wasn't allowed in Dissidia back in the day.

So the only thing that kind of sucks about the reveal is that dude was leaked like a couple days RIGHT before. I would have wanted it to be a full surprise like Kazuya was. Not the hugest fan of Sora, but I did beat KH2 so seeing him be a monster in the air makes sense at least. Some unique quirks like chaining Up-B into Side-B, instead of the opposite like most characters.

Otherwise, one of the bigger characters to end the game off on, aside from Master Chief or someone of that level.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Sora really gave the light back, for everyone to say that, the fun's not over when they were all going to stop fighting and go back in Trophy.

He reminded them all. LIGHT IS ETERNAL! SMASH IS ETERNAL!

He made the smash flame burn again in everyone.

I'm still crying, what the hell.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My reaction to Kingdom Heart's Sora being revealed as the last DLC character for Smash Ultimate:

Free Guy Reaction.jpg

Anyways, the reveal trailer was beautifully rendered and well done. In addition, I've played every series of the Kingdom Hearts series since the first one came out on the Playstation 2 a long time ago, so overall I am satisfied with his inclusion and it is a fitting way to conclude Ultimate.

Lastly, I do believe that we have to give credit to Sakurai and his team for all the hard work and support within the past three years too!

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
17 years ago I would have been very excited for this reveal, but now I am just worried about SMT V not getting the advertising it desperately needs because they decided to include the most barebones Kingdom Hearts content in Smash. I can’t believe Nintendo put Persona in Smash when the Switch doesn’t have main games but they are leaving one of their holiday titles out to dry.

At least the Switch is getting actual Kingdom Hearts games now to avoid a total failure of a reveal(which makes Joker in Smash look even more stupid btw).

Sadly I also predicted Nintendo would do this with Nintendo Disney theme parks starting up last year for the Mario anniversary(Sora does have the Mickey Mouse symbol on his keyblade just as a permanent branding for Disney on Smash despite Goofy and Donald missing completely).

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Well... RIP Doom Slayer I guess.

But man, I'm not even THAT much of a KH fan, but holy hell what a way to close things out. So much for it being a disappointing ending. I'm super happy for everyone who wanted him, because I genuinely thought this would just never happen.

And he looks like a ton of fun to use! They really went all out for his costumes, too. You can definitely tell that, even without Disney stuff, they really wanted to make his inclusion as special as possible.

It's not exactly what I wanted, but I can't say I'm displeased at all. Sakurai is a madman for making this game happen. Now he can rest easy.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Damnnnnnn i really though we had the chosen undead.... i guess people actually familiar with kingdom hearts didnt fall for it...

As for someone that doesnt care for kingdom hearts... the content in general was a little meh.. .no remixes, only kingdom hearts spirits, and barely any costumes (at least we had doomslayer! :D although was it too meager to ask for a song?)

Still at least sora looks fun addition to the roster and the timeless river costume is actually pretty neat.

And congrats to teh sora fans... you probanly just deafened your neighbors :p

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I knew Sora was gonna be in Smash in some fashion because that kid is ALWAYS trending whenever Smash comes up.

So glad it wasn't just a mii costume

kylexv

Smash Master
OK, Sakurai and the dev team knocked it out of the park with this one, even if I don't really care for Kingdom Hearts that much. This was probably the biggest reveal they could have gone for (minus maybe Master Chief but that's debatable).

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
17 years ago I would have been very excited for this reveal, but now I am just worried about SMT V not getting the advertising it desperately needs because they decided to include the most barebones Kingdom Hearts content in Smash. I can’t believe Nintendo put Persona in Smash when the Switch doesn’t have main games but they are leaving one of their holiday titles out to dry.

At least the Switch is getting actual Kingdom Hearts games now to avoid a total failure of a reveal(which makes Joker in Smash look even more stupid btw).

Sadly I also predicted Nintendo would do this with Nintendo Disney theme parks starting up last year for the Mario anniversary(Sora does have the Mickey Mouse symbol on his keyblade just as a permanent branding for Disney on Smash despite Goofy and Donald missing completely).
D4C653F1-3EAB-4968-A9F8-0ACCE7F4BABB.jpeg

Is this sarcasm?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
From my The Second Ultimate Square Enix Character Argument
This is a longshot in the dark, and this is not backed by any sort of evidence whatsoever. This is more so just a fun "what if" that I think could happen in 1 out of 14,000,605 futures. If there's a point to attack in this essay, this is not one of them, as this point is not serious at all, nor will I seriously advocate for it as more than a tinfoil hat theory if pressed.

Anyways, as well all know, Fighters Pass 2 has 6 fighters instead of 5. This fact was prominently introduced and discussed in Byleth's Sakurai Presents presentation. I believe that this could be due to the fact that negotiations for a character who had previously been rejected (which we know has occurred due to Sakurai's book) suddenly became available, and Nintendo jumped on it. There is precedent for such a thing occurring in the development of a Smash game, as Sonic was a late addition to Brawl, being added 2 years after the newcomer list had initially been decided. While the exact reason for this has seemingly never been stated, it's common speculation that this was due to Sega initially rejecting the request, and then walking back on it later due to the immense hype surrounding Brawl (this Source Gaming article says as such, but does not link back to a primary source which makes me hesitant to completely believe it).

I think you can see where this is going.

Sora had immense popularity during the ballot period, with the Kingdom Hearts community rallying together for Sora's inclusion. It's not hard to believe that Nintendo tried for Sora then, but negotiations fell through for one reason or another. They drop the issue until Fighters Pass 2, when Disney has done a 180 on video games following the mass success of Kingdom Hearts 3 and is looking to promote the series in the largest gaming crossover of all time. Nintendo approaches Sakurai like they did for Dragon Quest, and they go for it despite having already decided Fighters Pass 2 in its entirety. Since it's DLC, all they have to do is tack on another fighter to the pass and promote as such.

This explanation accounts for Disney's role in negotiations while also accommodating the timeline of Fighters Pass 2 being decided. In the initial deciding, Nintendo had a very thin window to negotiate with Disney if they decided to do so, probably for the second or third time. By going outside of that timeline, however, and explaining Disney's turnaround on negotiations as being due to a desire to capitalize off the success of the Kingdom Hearts series after KH3, you can justify Sora's inclusion as the special sixth fighter in Fighters Pass 2.

Of course, I completely acknowledge the sheer amount of logical leaps and mental gymnastics needed to reach such a conclusion. This certainly doesn't hold up to Occam's Razor, which would sooner accept that negotiations for Sora either haven't occurred or failed in the past, and that this Fighters Pass has 6 characters because Fighters Pass 1 was incredibly successful, Nintendo wanted to add more characters, and it just so happened to work out to 6 characters instead of 5. However, I think this theory is worth mentioning, at the very least as a fun little thought.
I. ****ING. WIN

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Thank you, Sakurai for continuing to show us no one can do Smash like you. I’m on Cloud Nine right now. Sora was my most wanted and we finally got him.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

If they ended Smash by promoting a game that isn't even out yet, it seems like it would be a Corrin situation all over again. (technically, this presentation promoted the Kingdom Hearts games, but they're out on basically every other modern console and PC, just not the Switch)

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Damnnnnnn i really though we had the chosen undead.... i guess people actually familiar with kingdom hearts didnt fall for it...

As for someone that doesnt care for kingdom hearts... the content in general was a little meh.. .no remixes, only kingdom hearts spirits, and barely any costumes (at least we had doomslayer! :D although was it too meager to ask for a song?)

Still at least sora looks fun addition to the roster and the timeless river costume is actually pretty neat.

And congrats to teh sora fans... you probanly just deafened your neighbors :p
The Mii Costume lineup was disappointing with only having 3 costumes. Doomguy was great. I am hoping some Mii Costumes continue to drop like what happened with Smash 4 even after DLC cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom