• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! ROY!! .PAC UP!!!! 12/7/09 at 3:36 AM EST

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I think it had to do with how many textures there was. I'm not really sure, but i was playing on Luigi's mansion which had a texture hack, and both my fox and his wolf had texture hacks, I was only guessing it had trouble loading wolfs lasers or something. Ill have the video later but pretty much what happened is every time he used his lasers the game lagged, but gave me more lag then him. So basically he could chain together shots (it was pretty funny). Also, something else happened that was strange, wolf also teleported when he tried teching, he literally disappeared and reappeared standing up a few feet away as if he teched a hit.

@me aludes- That must be it, that was the exact texture he had from Lord Khantis pack

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Also, speaking of Roy, he is the definition of a "glass cannon" character. He has some pretty **** combos, and good kill setups but has a hard time getting back to the stage and can be combo'd quite easily. Very fun to play because at any second you can completely turn a game around or take a **** load of damage in one string.

bajisci

Smash Ace
That happens to me only when I use an specific Wolf texture (a green Wolf, I think), which was included in Lord Khanti's pack of textures. Afaik, it only happens with this texture (maybe some other wolf textures too). Can anyone confirm that?
confirmed, happens to me too, i have lord khantis textures

cman

Smash Ace
Best combo ever... Grab->Fthrow->Fsmash tip->Dtilt->Fair tip->Bair tip->Fsmash

~60% of pure eyegasm. It can be teched though, and only works on characters that you can tip an fsmash from a downthrow. Still amazing, and roy is sooo much fun to play.

cman

Smash Ace
Replay or it didn't happen.
I don't feel like getting a replay. It's pretty easy to do though. Just make the other person a roy (it should work on others too), then do the sequence that i said. It's pretty easy to do. If the first fsmash doesn't tip after you down throw, then your timing is slightly off

Edit- Eh fine i'll get a replay. It will be against a cpu though

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
As much as I hate to admit this, you are right. I think perhaps having the actual attack portion a lil longer but adjust the wind down so you can combo off it would work well.
That's what I've always thought Roy was, or should be.

His moves take a bit longer to come out, and his moves take a tiny bit longer to finish than Marth, but the frames where the hitbox are out last for quite a while.

..I don't even know, I'm kind of rambling.

cman

Smash Ace
<3 cman.

10<3s

Is it DIable?
Ok well it's actually a lot harder to do than i thought at first. I must have gotten lucky the first time I did it. But anyway, i got a replay of me doing the first half, then messing up, then immediately hitting one of the attacks midway through, and then finishing the combo lol. It ended up doing like 85%. But anyway, keep in mind that it can be teched in two spots and it looks like it can be DI'ed in a couple places, so it's very escapable. It's just super flashy and hot when you pull it off.

Want me to send you the replay?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
About the random freezings. Personally, I haven't gotten any and I don't have textures on Wolf or Zard. (No good ones) We were led to believe the frame speed mod would have no limit after we broke Almas's line limit and didn't have any problems. Maybe we were just wrong on the number and the Roy frames threw us over the edge. *shrugs* It's something I'll look into.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Roy's nair has so many different hitboxes lol

The tip brings them toward you (great at low percents, since it sets them up for a grab or dtilt), the middle part of the blade sends them up, and the hilt sends them more away. I've actually found the middle of the blade to be the most useful in combos so far. I managed to chain 4 of them against a DDD in training, which registered as an 8 hit combo.

Also, I'm thinking that bair and dair need to be dropped to 40% ALR, too. Fair and nair are just about perfect on it, and uair at 20% is beautiful, but they still feel just a little bit too slow. I was a bit wary about players spamming bair if its ALR was reduced too much, but tipped bair -> dtilt is just plain sexy.

matt4300 said:
Fsmash needs more end lag (try to find a happy medium. Atleast to where hes not punished for a tip)
Gog messed it up. It went from being this big slow attack to being sped up 2.09999x starting frame 32, which was too early. I removed his frame speed change and put in my own (2x starting frame 39), which dropped 5 frames from the attack, and ended up being about perfect (just as I had initially thought it would be).

usmash is still complete ****, but I've said this. Ive also listed why it sucked... ways to fix it would be to either get rid of the pointless spike and make the tip a weaker less kb hit. So Tip for combos/sword hit for damage, or speed up the end lag so its less punishable on a miss or a ****ty back/front side hit. (tip also badly needs more damage 5%? WTF)
I ended up needing to speed the move up 4x starting frame 21 in order to get it to have a reasonable amount of endlag (IASA frames begin frame 49), so basically, I removed 21 frames from the endlag (the old speedup it had was only removing 10 frames). which I still haven't tested to see if it truly is enough to techchase off of from the tip, but it should be. This move is so >_>

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Leaf and I are working on F-smash. The current one in the codeset up now is too fast and the one before it had too much endlag. Leaf is helping me adjust it.

camelot

Smash Ace
I've never experienced slowdown, ever. Maybe it's because I'm still using the snapshot method...? (And Gecko 1.07b, too)

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
K, I think I have working fsmash values. I said before that the 5 frame reduction felt good. I played with it more and it felt a little too fast, actually. Which makes sense, since the fsmash was actually slowed down before. My new roy fsmash values:

1115002C 3F800000
110B002C 40000000
1108002C 3F000000

Goes 0.5x from frames 8-10, 2x from 11 to 21, and 1x after that. Should result in an fsmash that hits on frames 12 and 13 and ends on frame 47.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Wait, the old fsmash had a lot of hit frames and that is what made it good. I don't think we have to make it like it was in Melee... Preserve the larger amount of hit frames and I'll be happy, but I don't like making something based around how it was in Melee when it's an unneeded nerf.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Wait, the old fsmash had a lot of hit frames and that is what made it good. I don't think we have to make it like it was in Melee... Preserve the larger amount of hit frames and I'll be happy, but I don't like making something based around how it was in Melee when it's an unneeded nerf.
Huh? Marth's brawl fsmash hits on frame 10 and ends frame 49 (39 frames of lag). As in... it only hits on frame 10. The old slowed down roy+ fsmash was made to hit on frames 15 and 16 (or maybe just 15, I can't be sure) and end on frame 57 (41 frames of lag). The fsmash I set up hits frames 12 and 13 and ends 47 (34 frames of lag).

Which means I screwed up. It should have 36 frames of lag, but I forgot to count the frames from moving the hitbox from 10 to 12.

1111002C 3F800000
110B002C 40000000
1108002C 3F000000

There. Fixed. Goes back to normal 4 frames earlier, thus adding two more frames of lag from my old setting. Will cause the hitbox to be frames 12 and 13 and to end frame 49 (36 frames of lag).

Kuga

Smash Journeyman
Frame 12 and 13? I think that is fine now.Good job leaf.
Now its a Slower version of Marth Fsmash to Roy,Powerfull close.That remember me,its like Freddy vs Jason.
Jason is Slowwwww,and Freddy is fast.But Jason is STRONGGGG :D.If he hits you,Cya

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Hmm weird... there must have been a problem with my codeset then...since fsmash was slow as heck XD. But Its fixed now :). :toonlink:

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/user/cAm8ooo

I added some more vids.

Also, while messing around with the computer i noticed there wasnt a lot of hitstun on the spiking u-air. Pretty much every time i used it i got punished immediately while i was still in the animation because the computer would just nair or bair on the way down. Could we use that 0F value to give it a tad more histun to avoid being punished?

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the vid, he seems better than marth O_O. I might be wrong though... Gonna try him tomorrow, I've got an exam, so I was busy all day and evening.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
He's more combo friendly and punishment orientated. A single mistake against Roy can lead into a huge combo or massive f-smash. When we can edit his speed Marth will still have the run speed and range on him. (Tippers aren't always good for Roy) as well as being harder to combo on then Roy and having a superior recovery. Guess we'll have to see how it pans out.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
He's more combo friendly and punishment orientated. A single mistake against Roy can lead into a huge combo or massive f-smash. When we can edit his speed Marth will still have the run speed and range on him. (Tippers aren't always good for Roy) as well as being harder to combo on then Roy and having a superior recovery. Guess we'll have to see how it pans out.
Oh, interesting.
I'll try him out tomorrow, shame we can't really combo with Marth anymore :urg:.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Incoming new set guys. Some 'final' polishes and where I find Roy's final moveset (minus DED) will stand now.

EDIT: It's up now guys.

Barring any huge flaws in the coding or something, I planning to leave this set up for a few days and see how Roy plays out. Feel free to comment, just don't expect immediate changes like before.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I'm working on getting an pitch editor for Roy. Just gonna drop Roy's pitch to make him sound less fruity. I suppose I could see if we could do it for size too. It didn't scale with specials though, which was a problem...
Well, we can edit hitbox size now, so that won't matter anymore. It'll just be a fricking pain to edit every special hitbox, and that's just on sideB alone. Although I didn't think roy was too different in size from marth in melee.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
What other slash sfx are there?

There's Ike's, MK's, Pit's, G&W's turtle. Which one would fit the best?

Also, am I the only one who feels that Roy's recovery is too bad? I know it's supposed to suck, but looking at where Roy can be in order for him to die from falling to his death, it's just a little ridiculous. Perhaps make his Up-B go a little higher?

And could we get a complete chagelist for Roy, as in what made him wht he is?

EDIT: As for the size thing, making Roy smaller would make his voice have a higher pitch. He'd sound even more girly. =/

Do we have a pitch editor or something? Also, the texture needs to be redone so that Roy doesn't have that ****ing tiara.

Top Bottom