• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Lmao I just like spamming Randall shenanigans because it's fun and I'm better at watching the timer than most people. I enjoy it too much and definitely go for it a little too much :p

Tbh, it's legitimately useful in a handful of scenarios, gimmicky in others, but honestly, I think Marth actually kinda sucks at abusing the YS wall/Randall

Wall Of SPain

Smash Rookie
Hello Dr Peepee Dr Peepee , I have a question about mentality, so I went to my nearest weekly some days ago, I played 5 sets, the first one was easy, the guy was not good at all, but with the mentality that i set myself in tournaments of going hard vs anyone, I 4 stocked him every time. Then i keep going through winners, not a challenge at all until i play eikelmann, he destroys me and i try to learn as much as i can so i use all my brain power . And then Im in top 8 qualifier in losers, have to wait for 2 or 3 sets and when my match was almost about to be set i warmed up with a friend and i felt a lot less active and smart, i could hardly think. I go into my set and i play pretty well the first game (JV3) but couldnt adapt at all for the next two games, and lose to somebody that I do not believe should beat me, so after this i wonder. How do I reserve brain power in long periods of waiting, and against people that i am not going to lose against? I think if I would have taken the first game more lightly maybe I would have had more capability of winning the last set, not only that, I want to take 1st at every tourney I enter (realistically I should have taken 4th or 5th) I need to keep my brain active but I do not know how, thats why im seeking your knowledge mr peepee. Thanks :D
-Guy with a hot spanish accent.

W_is_for_Wumbo

Smash Rookie
Hey PP (and everyone else of course). I have a very specific question for you about this clip. When you dash attack Armada's shield, could he have buffered dash attack out of shield and hit you as you were dashing away. If I space dash attack on Peach's shield, does she have any OOS options to hit me?

https://youtu.be/iBMgkr-s4jI?t=23m55s

heyitshoward

Smash Apprentice
Hey PP (and everyone else of course). I have a very specific question for you about this clip. When you dash attack Armada's shield, could he have buffered dash attack out of shield and hit you as you were dashing away. If I space dash attack on Peach's shield, does she have any OOS options to hit me?

https://youtu.be/iBMgkr-s4jI?t=23m55s
You can't dash attack oos. You can only grab, roll/spotdodge/shield drop, or do stuff that involves jumping (wd, aerial, jc usmash).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hello Dr Peepee Dr Peepee , I have a question about mentality, so I went to my nearest weekly some days ago, I played 5 sets, the first one was easy, the guy was not good at all, but with the mentality that i set myself in tournaments of going hard vs anyone, I 4 stocked him every time. Then i keep going through winners, not a challenge at all until i play eikelmann, he destroys me and i try to learn as much as i can so i use all my brain power . And then Im in top 8 qualifier in losers, have to wait for 2 or 3 sets and when my match was almost about to be set i warmed up with a friend and i felt a lot less active and smart, i could hardly think. I go into my set and i play pretty well the first game (JV3) but couldnt adapt at all for the next two games, and lose to somebody that I do not believe should beat me, so after this i wonder. How do I reserve brain power in long periods of waiting, and against people that i am not going to lose against? I think if I would have taken the first game more lightly maybe I would have had more capability of winning the last set, not only that, I want to take 1st at every tourney I enter (realistically I should have taken 4th or 5th) I need to keep my brain active but I do not know how, thats why im seeking your knowledge mr peepee. Thanks :D
-Guy with a hot spanish accent.
If you want to have energy, you need to make sure you start with as much as possible. So playing a lot in addition to taking care of your body will do this. When it comes time to play everyone has their own amount to warm up. Some people feel they should play all day. Others just when necessary. Make sure you're still getting something out of your friendlies at events and find the point where it hurts more than helps and play with that. Good luck!

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
Hey PP, I'm having trouble with the "rock-paper-scissors" part of the game and like, categorizing that information for myself. I guess it's because I'm less experienced, but with all the different tools every character has and all the different ways to apply them, I just don't know how to counter so many options - it gets kind of overwhelming and also really frustrating when I know they "shouldn't work." Do you have any sort of formula or mindset to help come up with how to beat a given option? Or does it have to be taken case-by-case?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Hey PP, I'm having trouble with the "rock-paper-scissors" part of the game and like, categorizing that information for myself. I guess it's because I'm less experienced, but with all the different tools every character has and all the different ways to apply them, I just don't know how to counter so many options - it gets kind of overwhelming and also really frustrating when I know they "shouldn't work." Do you have any sort of formula or mindset to help come up with how to beat a given option? Or does it have to be taken case-by-case?
Not PP, but here's my take on it:

To beat a given option, think about its properties, and especially its weaknesses. Then think of options that exploit these weaknesses.
I'll give a few examples first and then look at it from a more abstract perspective.

Examples:
Let's inspect a few Fox neutral game tools, from Marth's perspective, and simulate the thought process of developing counter-strategies:

Running shine:
The most obvious disadvantage is the low range of the shine, which means Fox has to run towards you first and is vulnerable at that point of time. Using any attack or grab on Fox's path are therefore the counters, with varying risk/reward-ratios.

Dash short hop nair:
This time we have a lasting hitbox, so challenging it on its way to you only works if you outspace it, and time it precisely. Doesn't look too promising... The dash sh limits Fox's movement flexibility severely and you can tell where Fox will approximately land very early, giving you enough time to react. So it seems the strategy has to be to avoid the hitbox and then capitalize on the landing. To avoid the hitbox, dash away is the obvious choice. As you have now avoided the move you need a relatively quick hitbox that is accessible from dash (so preferably no tilts). Pivot -> grab or fair come to mind.

Full jump nair:
The method used against dash short hop nair should be a good starting point. What has to be accounted for? Fox is in the air longer, so more drifting is possible. Which means the landing position of Fox is less certain. This isn't a problem for Marth though, because his grab and aerials have a lot of range (with characters with low grab ranges, this could mean grabbing the landing becomes unreliable). Fox travelling further also means you need more space not to run out of space when dashing away.
What disadvantages are there compared to dash sh nair? Fox being higher in the air means it is easier to dash under him, so doing this, and then punishing the landing, becomes an option if you are close enough.

More general:
To dissect a tool, there are a few properties which are especially important and linked to the ways to deal with them.

Whiff-punishes: related to animation length
For example, you simply can't whiffpunish Fox's jab as the animation is too short. The animation needs to be at least as long as your reaction time (around 15 frames for most people) + the first active frame of the move you want to use, and sometimes you need to add a few frames if the first frames of certain moves are very difficult to distinguish from different animations. This also means that quick moves are best for whiff-punishing.
This concept can also be applied to other animations than attacks (rolls in particular, but also Peach's float, or recovery moves), in which case it isn't really a whiff-punish, but the idea is the same, a character entering an animation which limits mobility and animation choice for a relatively high amount of frames.
The closer you are to the opponent when registering the move (without getting hit), the easier it is to whiffpunish. Pretty intuitive as having to close distance first effectively makes your move slower. Same goes for having to wait out an animation first (like being in the wavedash-landing animation, the cooldown of an attack, or having to land).

Challenging. Related to frame advantages, disjoint, and first active frames.
You can challenge an attack by timing or spacing. To beat its startup you need to have a faster move, or some sort of frame advantage.
To outspace it, you need to have more disjoint. It is important to note that the disjoint is dependant on your relative positioning, so the angle between you and your opponent. For example, a Fox nair landing on another Fox nair will win, because it has a little bit of disjoint downwards, and negative disjoint upwards. The conclusion is that to outspace effectively, you want to be at an angle to your opponent that maximizes your move's disjoint and minimizes your opponent's disjoint.

About things that "shouldn't work", the most common mistake that allows them to work is taking too much space when it is not safe. In the time when you are running at them, they could be in the startup of a slow, powerful move which is then ready for you as you run in.

I hope this isn't too incoherent, I feel like I'm not that good at explaining these kinds of things.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If you consider everything at once it is definitely overwhelming. Start at threatening range or whatever position you like and learn that and then move on. You eventually can see related themes. For example if you decide some of your better options vs Fox are approaching rising Fair and pivot grab then you have a conception of offense and defense in mind as well. Your dash forward in situations outside of the one you studied may still carry that Fair threat and the same would be true of dash back and pivot grab. Learning one situation and the nuances of those options makes your overall game stronger in other words. So just start somewhere and you'll be able to figure it out if you keep at it.

Do you think Marth's haxdash is useful?
Yes

bts.mongoose

Smash Cadet
Just for clarity's sake, when you talk about threatening range in neutral, you're referring the opponent's rather than your own, correct?

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
I'm not entirely sure where you said this. But you mentioned one time that looking at aerial usage as simply "undershooting vs undershooting" is a really primitive way of looking at the game, which is true. Would you mind going a bit in depth how to properly use your aerial drift smartly? (Not sure I'm wording this right)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Just for clarity's sake, when you talk about threatening range in neutral, you're referring the opponent's rather than your own, correct?
I'm referring to the interplay between yours and your opponent's. If one goes farther than the other, then the edge of the farthest range. For top tiers they're sort of the same I find but Marth's is probably the biggest(which is compensated for by being slowest/laggiest).

I'm not entirely sure where you said this. But you mentioned one time that looking at aerial usage as simply "undershooting vs undershooting" is a really primitive way of looking at the game, which is true. Would you mind going a bit in depth how to properly use your aerial drift smartly? (Not sure I'm wording this right)
Well there are many components to it, but one big part this thinking doesn't take into account is conditioning. If you drift in fully from a given jump then that will be expected next time especially if you drift forward even a little from the same jump spot. So you could drift back slightly and really change your position and it wouldn't be overshoot vs undershoot it would be playing on visual cues and changing position.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

So I have a problem, I play a bit of Fox / Marth / Ganon in melee and the ledgedash timings are so different for each character that i don't adapt and just airdodge offstage as Ganon. Should I drop Ganon and marth and just play fox?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
After reading this article, I wondered about what is commonly refered to as "game sense" and called dynamic cognition in the article.
In my experience I was always bad at handling unexpected situations (in chess, too). You could go as far as saying that I would only do the correct move if I already knew what to do in a very similar or this exact situation, or it was very simplified. With Melee being real time and not turn based, that made things even more difficult.
I imagine that it is like this for everyone to some extent... My theory would be that it is some kind of high-order pattern recognition which requires very high amounts of data and creates principles which are general enough so you can even fit in situations you haven't previously encountered. That would make experience the biggest factor. From my observations, players with similar amounts of experience can have big differences in how well they manage unexpected situations. Maybe natural talent plays into it to some extent, but it could also be that some training methods develop this skill better than others (maybe experimenting more could be beneficial). Or it might be something that slowly develops as you progress in different areas of your game and can't be worked on on its own...
What do you think?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
After reading this article, I wondered about what is commonly refered to as "game sense" and called dynamic cognition in the article.
In my experience I was always bad at handling unexpected situations (in chess, too). You could go as far as saying that I would only do the correct move if I already knew what to do in a very similar or this exact situation, or it was very simplified. With Melee being real time and not turn based, that made things even more difficult.
I imagine that it is like this for everyone to some extent... My theory would be that it is some kind of high-order pattern recognition which requires very high amounts of data and creates principles which are general enough so you can even fit in situations you haven't previously encountered. That would make experience the biggest factor. From my observations, players with similar amounts of experience can have big differences in how well they manage unexpected situations. Maybe natural talent plays into it to some extent, but it could also be that some training methods develop this skill better than others (maybe experimenting more could be beneficial). Or it might be something that slowly develops as you progress in different areas of your game and can't be worked on on its own...
What do you think?
It has to be a situation you've seen before or uses principles at a level you understand for you to handle it. So if you haven't seen it before but have a good enough framework you can understand it. This is part of why theorycrafting and analysis are so important because it exposes you to new situations and ideas to make your framework stronger, giving you more flexibility in tourney matches if you use it right.

PPMD are you going to get the smashbox?
Nah

What are some options marth has vs run up shield besides grab?
Dtilt, Fair, Fsmash/Ftilt I guess, spacing Nair/Bair, backing up and observing

MyNeighborBurrito

Smash Rookie
Sup PP, I don't really know where else is a good platform to ask about this, but I was wondering what you think about the current state of how Melee conversation takes place? I remember you said once that you felt that without Smashboards as a central hub, a lot of the conversation about the game has lost the sustained depth it used to have.

For my own context as to why I'm asking: I don't know if you saw the recent Chudat vs. Mew2king set at Summit, but the matches pretty much went to time for all four games. Scar and Hax were commentating with Hbox and Toph, and the first two were arguing for cutting the time limit from 8m to 6m, while Hbox and Toph were largely ambivalent (I don't think they really argued for or against the 8m timer).

Well, it generated a thread on /r/SSBM and /r/smashbros, but the reason I ask is because I think this is a conversation genuinely worth having, because it can really impact viewership going forward, especially if ICs vs. Mew2king / CampyPeach4000 were to go to game 5 at EVO or something.

But the problem is, because of the way Reddit favors shorter posts that don't develop a dialogue due to the upvote/downvote system, everyone ends up saying the same thing. So on /r/SSBM the top-voted comment essentially says 'I favor the 8m timer because 6m would encourage more camping,' while the second-top comment says 'I favor the 6m timer because timeouts can be exciting and bring out great dynamic play.' But the thing is, because of the way Reddit is formatted, you see these same two comments repeated like 40 times each, and when a good conversation develops, it's between like 3 people on the island that is their personal discussion, and it never gets integrated into a longer flow of ideas.

So all that to say, I don't see how we can have good discussion as a community about these sorts of fundamental or rule-based things on these platforms, which undoubtedly stymies our ability to grow both intellectually and competitively together. I was wondering if you thought there was a potential solution to this, or if it's something we're just going to have to deal with, as long as we get all our content from Twitch and Youtube, and the conversation-worthy stuff trickles down to Reddit and Twitter where no one is really talking with each other.

Sorry once again for the non-Marth related question haha. For a Marth related question to make this relevant(!) should Marth try to go for good punish on Samus? Or should he really try to wall her out with his movement and aerials, and kill her once she's at higher percents? I was playing a Samus main a couple weeks ago and I felt like I had no idea what to do once I won neutral, because it felt really difficult to sustain a punish.

Thanks so much Kevin!

Edit: I saw that PP replied to my tweet but I guess I'll leave this here in case anyone else wants to add their thoughts? Although I can delete it except the Marth question if it's too off-topic

Last edited:

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
M MyNeighborBurrito I really like your question dude. Your question reminds me of Armada's newest video, where he talks about how he's not a fan of how people *just* say he's consistent, and that there's more to it than that. It also reminds me of how people (Supposedly even great players) were saying PP was "Just dash dancing" with Marth at apex 2015. It makes people think less about what's really going on, especially in a subject or situation where they don't understand. (An easy example would be a new player playing someone who, in their mind, is *Just* doing one or two things). And this is can be happening in an outlet without any character limit (IRL)

Last edited:

MyNeighborBurrito

Smash Rookie
M MyNeighborBurrito I really like your question dude. Your question reminds me of Armada's newest video, where he talks about how he's not a fan of how people *just* say he's consistent, and that there's more to it than that. It also reminds me of how people (Supposedly even great players) were saying PP was "Just dash dancing" with Marth at apex 2015. It makes people think less about what's really going on, especially in a subject or situation where they don't understand. (An easy example would be a new player playing someone who, in their mind, is *Just* doing one or two things). And this is can be happening in an outlet without any character limit (IRL)
Thanks man. Yeah, a lot of the conversation outside of the events itself can feel really reductive. I actually would really love to start a larger conversation about not only how our discussion platforms tie into this, but how the way we talk about the game and treat certain parts of the game as 'holy' or 'untouchable' actually holds back development. The problem is is that the only format I can think of is to make a vlog or a blog, because I don't think there's a great way to really get your voice out anymore as a low-mid level player.

PPMD replied to an abbreviated version of my question, which I sent to him on Twitter, and he said he's only really considered recorded skype calls between good players and thinkers as a sort of alternative to losing SmashBoards as a central discussion hub. I think that's a good start, and maybe I want the impossible, but that still ends up having things be very top-down, where people watch among themselves and then talk among themselves. Or the best we could hope for is that it's a twitch stream, and the two hypothetical good players read your question for you. But that's still not your voice, you're not really there to engage the person.

This here is the best kind of form obviously, but it seems like Reddit, Twitter, Youtube and Twitch really undermined this place, which meant it lost a lot of its value in the process. So otherwise, I don't really have any idea what would be a good alternative place to talk about major ideas >_<

But yeah, I think the Armada example is really good, because it feels like what ends up happening is the following: Esports commentators have to talk about the match very quickly because Melee is a fast game, so they say 'wow, Armada, so consistent,' or 'Mango, such an aggressive player!' And those are right as ... generalizations, or they get one thing right but don't capture anything nearly to the degree of the truth.

But what happens is uninformed players just go to these isolated and isolating hubs of discussion and repeat that, and participation doesn't really form based on argumentation or eloquence or communication, but based on upvotes and downvotes, or follower count on Twitter. And those posts/people feel more like authority figures, which can definitely hamper conversation, even if that's not the intention at all. So all in all, extremely temporary authority figures emerge per thread that repeat the mass opinion because the mass got it from the single streamed Melee source, and then that disseminates rapidly into a sort of nothingness of repetition.

I'm not saying the commentators are at fault here, I'm saying it's like a systemic issue of how the community works and how the game is operated beyond the gameplay level.

But then that means you end up getting Armada or another top player coming down from the heavens basically, and being like 'guys you are too reductive, I am not simply consistent, I am much more than that. It seems like people don't know when I'm playing good or bad.' Which is a great example, because it's totally symptomatic of this problem. Only a top player has the authority to sort of cut through what everyone is saying and say 'no guys, this is wrong.' He's right of course, but the fact that he has to speak on high towards everyone else is so detrimental, because it then fuels this conception that when a low-level player with a good idea speaks up, the natural response is 'well he isn't top 100, so what does he know?' It in a way has the effect of turning top players into the top posters on a reddit thread, and anyone who is low-level who wants to add a new perspective into the people who are downvoted really hard for no reason.

My last thought: I actually really like what Kevin said about Armada's style at BOT5G. He said something like 'he's not just amazing because of his punish game, but the way that he controls the flow of his punish game, or flows you into his punish game (it was one of those two) is really powerful.' But like, the thing about that, is that's like... a thesis at the college level LOL. That's a claim about Armada. If a commentator said that, the co-commentator would say 'well go on, what do you mean.' And Melee is so FAST that you can't really say that at all. So instead of saying claims, which advance conversation, commentators state observations, which can be easily absorbed and can't be contradicted. Observations like 'Mango has the reads!' or 'PP's movement is so smooth!' Obviously a good amount of people ignore commentary as it's very simplistic, but the way memes and reductive observations couple can be dangerous, because then they just permeate in the lower levels and kind of suffocate all communication. ESPECIALLY on places like Reddit and Twitter that rewards language and jokes that are easily repeatable for mass enjoyment, because that's what upvotes and retweets encourage.

So yeah that was a looooooot more than I thought I'd write but I had all these thoughts about this time limit fiasco and I've just been sick and tired of seeing the Melee community run itself into a rut when I feel like there's SO MUCH MORE we can do, but our inability to discuss is not only what is hindering us right now, it's also what will end up hurting us the most in the long term, both in and out of the game.

Last edited:

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
I'm not entirely sure this belongs here. But lately I have been struggling finding ways to get into "the zone" or not auto piloting. Very vague question, but what tactics do you use to try and get yourself into focusing?

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
M MyNeighborBurrito Yep. It isn't even just discussion too, people put these things into practice which is bad because what happens is... People should also be careful about what they say, because some may get into a mindset when they start practicing/going to tournaments thinking "To be good, I have to be consistently winning, and if I'm not, I'm not improving" (I've been there), and get discouraged when they don't win every single set or game. For the Mango example, there's a lot of players out there who may fall into a pitfall of "I just want to be like Mango and just 'be aggressive'" and completely ignore the amount of understanding of the game the guy has in the first place, and then they go and lose.

I think the goal is to not over-complicate things, even with complicated subjects like neutral game, but find out ways to describe it to people to teach them how they work (PP is great at this). It's just the way things go though, not everyone is going to be willing to learn, and the tough part is accepting that. Then there are people who think they want to learn, but are not willing to listen, and would rather back up what they're doing is right (Even Armada brought this up in his newest video). What's more important is the people who are willing to shut-up and listen. If you want to teach people, some may want to see results from the person they're getting the teaching from, which is understandable imo. (Which may be a great motivator for practice).

Edit: And I've heard people at tournaments quip about this place "Smashboards in 2017?"

Last edited:

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
How much would a 6 minute timer affect the Marth - Peach match up? I feel like a shorter time limit would favor higher tier characters by a ton. Marthritis doesn't matter because Marth just swings his sword for 6 minutes lol.

MyNeighborBurrito

Smash Rookie
M MyNeighborBurrito Yep. It isn't even just discussion too, people put these things into practice which is bad because what happens is... People should also be careful about what they say, because some may get into a mindset when they start practicing/going to tournaments thinking "To be good, I have to be consistently winning, and if I'm not, I'm not improving" (I've been there), and get discouraged when they don't win every single set or game. For the Mango example, there's a lot of players out there who may fall into a pitfall of "I just want to be like Mango and just 'be aggressive'" and completely ignore the amount of understanding of the game the guy has in the first place, and then they go and lose.

I think the goal is to not over-complicate things, even with complicated subjects like neutral game, but find out ways to describe it to people to teach them how they work (PP is great at this). It's just the way things go though, not everyone is going to be willing to learn, and the tough part is accepting that. Then there are people who think they want to learn, but are not willing to listen, and would rather back up what they're doing is right (Even Armada brought this up in his newest video). What's more important is the people who are willing to shut-up and listen. If you want to teach people, some may want to see results from the person they're getting the teaching from, which is understandable imo. (Which may be a great motivator for practice).

Edit: And I've heard people at tournaments quip about this place "Smashboards in 2017?"
Hah, yeah I only started coming here recently (pretty obvious lol) because of this thread, but I think if more earnest people are directed here then that would be awesome for everyone.

Yeah I talked about that with some people recently about "I just want to be like Mango" and why that's a bad mentality. Because Mango himself says that this game is all about self-expression, and I firmly agree with that. So why wouldn't you want to try and do you instead of trying to do Mango? Like everyone starts out copying others of course, but eventually that's gonna stop being effective, or maybe it's not effective as much in Melee as it is in other things like music or art or chess or whatever. But trying to just look on the surface and see aggression and say 'I want that' will never work in the long haul.

And yeah, for sure. I definitely agree that starting small with teaching neutral is a great way to go, I just think the structure for it could be so much better. Don't really know how though... just a dream I guess haha. As to the Armada thing, I took a lot of philosophy classes in college and the amount of times I've seen a professor genuinely say 'I haven't thought of that' always inspires me to think about what untrained but creative people might have to say. But yeah there's definitely a huge difference from that and what Armada was talking about which was like 'I am never wrong even though this option was terrible and I refuse to admit it,' and what I was saying haha.

I'm not entirely sure this belongs here. But lately I have been struggling finding ways to get into "the zone" or not auto piloting. Very vague question, but what tactics do you use to try and get yourself into focusing?
I'll just say what I find works for me is that you have to do everything you can before tournament / an important match to figure out your habits. I ended up writing some of the habits I catch myself doing when I auto-pilot, and I set up situations in 20xx to try and just force myself to do other things instead. It's totally artificial for sure, but then I'd play friendlies and force myself to try to not do those habits, even if it meant getting bodied. Because first who cares about friendlies wins, but second, the more you use those options intelligently, the more you'll recognize when you're using them unintelligently. I've only been doing this for a bit though, so I can't say how super effective it is yet. But so far I like it for myself!

As for in game, I don't have much advice for getting there of course, except for trying to stay calm and not putting pressure on yourself to get there. If you let your thoughts or emotions intrude on you like that it's going to be harder to get to a spot where you just feel in control.

Oh, and definitely analyze your videos a whole bunch. If you feel like you already know all your habits, try and isolate points where you start auto-piloting. And then ask 'OK, why did I start auto-piloting there? Was it because I made an error, or he read me, etc. etc.? Was it because of an emotion, like I got cocky or scared?' Then rewind and try to come up with an explanation for that. And if it's a gameplay thing, try to come up with ways to practice that particular situation or that type of situation. If it's an emotion thing, you'll have to probably do some investigation (that's what I do). I ask, OK, that situation made me feel really nervous so I started auto-piloting. Why does that make me nervous? And I keep trying to dig until I feel like I've solved it, at least for the moment.

I mean it's impossible for these types of things to go away forever, and some of it may of course come down to inexperience in certain parts, but I find that this kind of emotional exploration really helps me with practicing, fulfilling my goals in friendlies, and then actually playing well (most of the time I hope!) in tournament. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
How much would a 6 minute timer affect the Marth - Peach match up? I feel like a shorter time limit would favor higher tier characters by a ton. Marthritis doesn't matter because Marth just swings his sword for 6 minutes lol.
I don't think it should affect Marth-Peach that much(Marths need to juggle+edgeguard+have some kill/DI setups) but it would affect Marths that platform camp Peach(very few). That's a good point that it probably would help higher tiers since lower tiers can't camp as easily or mitigate camping as quickly.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to take a different approach to your question.

I think being in a mental state like "the zone" where you're in some sort of flowstate is a good goal, but there's a lot that goes into achieving it. There's a lot to focus on in any given Melee match but the thing I've been focusing on most lately is spacing. In order to do this I've had to put a lot of time into training proper spacing on each move and then rehearsing various options to execute depending on whether or not my intended spacing was correct. Putting all these actions into memory allows me to put my focus solely on placing attacks in the correct spots while maintaining movement. It's never perfect, but as you gain experience you gain polish.

When you split your focus, it becomes weaker. Being able to focus on a singular aspect of the game will allow you to hone in on it and polish your play toward a certain goal. In my opinion, the most important aspect of Melee is spacing. It's the one thing that I think a player can work on to no end. In order to put as much focus into this huge concept you have to have enough experience and training to take your mind off of other things people might be thinking about. There's a ton of input-related things that take a long time to completely polish and pull your focus away from. Then there's the matchup-related things to account for, which will influence which attacks you select at certain times, and that selection itself has to happen organically and then be placed in the right spot.

Being able to make those choices naturally in a manner that doesn't feel forced is what you're looking for, I believe. Train all the things that contribute to your ability to do so. Then, work on keeping your mind on the proper placement of each attack. After that, you start to dive into the nebulous RPS insanity that is the core of Melee. When you're consistently spacing moves properly you hit a wall that is a series of infinite questions. What am I thinking? What do I think my opponent is thinking? What do I think my opponent thinks I'm thinking? Okay enough of that.

I probably explained this poorly but whatever.

Last edited:

Clel42

Smash Rookie
Hey Peepee, I was watching that crazy set between m2k and plup yesterday and was wondering if you had any thoughts about when the marth came out. My impression was that marth really relies on abusing his dash dance and being careful about going in the air, but I felt m2k was pretty aerial heavy and got away with it a lot of the time. Any thoughts on that match? Felt like a very different style against sheik than I'm used to seeing from you or PPU

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I expected M2K to try to move a lot as well but he did some good aerial play. Combining Fair and Dtilt to wall out Sheik is pretty straightforward and a good strategy. I think Plup was incredibly reckless in approaching M2K even after seeing M2K was just going to sit there and swing so Plup deserved to lose but I wish I saw strong play on both sides.

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
What are your thoughts on The Inner Mind of Tennis, especially in relation to Marth and Melee?

Last edited:

capusa27

Smash Cadet
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

What are your thoughts about PPU's gameplan against Falcon? Where do you see room for improvement?

In your set vs Nintendude, why do you decide to use N-air vs blizzard?

Last edited:

gcboy

Smash Cadet
Hi I have a specific question that will hopefully help me analyze other situations

After forward throwing a space animal off stage I can never get the gimp. Am I just losing the rock paper scissors? I always lose to dj/not dj/side b/up b/airdodge /on stage/to ledge etc etc etc. Can you please teach me how I should look at it from beginning of the match trying to read habits to trying to adjust to their habits to trying to influence their decisions or maybe breaking my own habits? I have no idea how someone like m2k or pewpewu seems to hit it every time on much better players than the ones I'm playing

Broader question would be about edgegaurds in general or keeping center and pushing them to ledge but I feel I can learn those if I can understand the thought process behind something specific

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

What are your thoughts about PPU's gameplan against Falcon? Where do you see room for improvement?

In your set vs Nintendude, why do you decide to use N-air vs blizzard?
I don't agree with much of PPU's gameplan vs Falcon. He could improve at threatening with Dtilt vs Fair more, making Falcon whiff then punishing him, mixing in more defense, and tech chasing more efficiently.

Hi I have a specific question that will hopefully help me analyze other situations

After forward throwing a space animal off stage I can never get the gimp. Am I just losing the rock paper scissors? I always lose to dj/not dj/side b/up b/airdodge /on stage/to ledge etc etc etc. Can you please teach me how I should look at it from beginning of the match trying to read habits to trying to adjust to their habits to trying to influence their decisions or maybe breaking my own habits? I have no idea how someone like m2k or pewpewu seems to hit it every time on much better players than the ones I'm playing

Broader question would be about edgegaurds in general or keeping center and pushing them to ledge but I feel I can learn those if I can understand the thought process behind something specific
So you're right to consider all the options, now you need to figure out how to cover as many as possible at once or at least cover the harder to beat options. Those are what are most likely to be picked. This is why anti shorten stuff and anti shine stall stuff is good. I can't really answer your question because it's basically "how do I edgeguard" but if you want to learn it then try looking at how to beat a few options at once and seeing what M2K/PPU do to cover a few at once and what they could cover afterward sometimes.

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
Hey pp, so my college (Wayne State University) is doing a crew battle against a different college on thursday (just for honor, nothing official), and I've never played against any of the players from the other college but Ive heard theres a good sheik and a good marth playing. So that's just backstory, but now im trying to brush up on those mu's because they are not my strongest for sure.

So, in the marth ditto, im wondering what your general gameplan in neutral is against someone who has all the same tools as you.

And against sheik, do you mostly agree with this MIOM guide? http://www.meleeitonme.com/guest-article-marth-vs-sheik-guide/

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Hey pp, so my college (Wayne State University) is doing a crew battle against a different college on thursday (just for honor, nothing official), and I've never played against any of the players from the other college but Ive heard theres a good sheik and a good marth playing. So that's just backstory, but now im trying to brush up on those mu's because they are not my strongest for sure.

So, in the marth ditto, im wondering what your general gameplan in neutral is against someone who has all the same tools as you.

And against sheik, do you mostly agree with this MIOM guide? http://www.meleeitonme.com/guest-article-marth-vs-sheik-guide/
Not an expert, but these are my thoughts on the guide:
I like most sections, pretty comprehensive and mostly factually right.
Neutral game: I think the guide overrates retreating or walling aerials a little. They definitely have their purpose, but Marth is known for having trouble with frame disadvantages at close distance (no fast aerial with lasting hitbox, no shine) so you can end up in bad spots very quickly. I wouldn't go for them as main gameplan, but for a situational read on forward movement or to protect yourself if you are already commited to a jump.
I also don't agree with side-B (first hit) being useless. It is less commital than grab and one of the few quick options quickly accessible out of dash backwards and even run backwards (with crouching first). I think it has niche uses in the neutral game.
I don't like the punish game section too much. For one, it recommends one pummel from 4% on which definitely carries risk of a fast masher breaking out. Then, up-throw->up-tilt only works from 22-30% before throw (see Kadano's thread), before that you need to do a mixup to catch them if they jump out (like full jump up-air). The timing to escape is tricky for the Sheik but that doesn't mean it is guaranteed outside of that percentage range. The other combo recommendations are good recommendations, but way too general to take too much out of them. I think watching sets of top Marths teach you the punish game better than a flow chart could do, because there are way too many micro-situations. Despite that, strong players can provide useful rules of thumb (I'm not qualified for this lol).
I agree with using f-throw/d-throw to techchase depending on several factors. I think it is strong if they can't DI offstage/slide-off to get the ledge easily, but land at the corners of the stage, because you need to cover less distance with techroll away being significantly shorter. Also there are situations where up-throw allows them an easy top platform escape, so techchasing is the way to go there, too.
The other sections are fine imo and I don't have anything specific to comment on.

Blatant J

Smash Cadet
I've been relatively unsuccessful when it comes to improvement lately, I've been playing for a year and just started incorporating regular tech practice. I've noticed improvements in stuff like ledgedashes and shai drops. However my neutral has suffered in particular since I'm used to going for only punishes with grabs and RC d-tilts. I've been trying to use wavedash d-tilts since one of my main problems against players better than me is they recognise that my dash dance isn't really threatening and that I don't always have the space to enter run. Do you think it is ok or necessary to take a few steps back to take some forward?

P.S I think another reason my overall play has suffered is I use a lot of my focus on the new aspects I try to incorporate into my play, rather than the things I was better at.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I've been relatively unsuccessful when it comes to improvement lately, I've been playing for a year and just started incorporating regular tech practice. I've noticed improvements in stuff like ledgedashes and shai drops. However my neutral has suffered in particular since I'm used to going for only punishes with grabs and RC d-tilts. I've been trying to use wavedash d-tilts since one of my main problems against players better than me is they recognise that my dash dance isn't really threatening and that I don't always have the space to enter run. Do you think it is ok or necessary to take a few steps back to take some forward?

P.S I think another reason my overall play has suffered is I use a lot of my focus on the new aspects I try to incorporate into my play, rather than the things I was better at.
so id say that in general anytime you add something new to your game, like practicing tech skill theres going to be a transitional phase where youre learning how to first consistently get the inputs and then second, how to incorporate them into an actually game vs a thinking opponent. this is bound to cause you to lose a little bit of your neutral game as you work toward making the technical skills second nature.

as for the wavedash dtilt and retreating in order to win a neutral interaction. absolutely these are important. almost every neutral strategy in the game can be generalized into retreating (as to cause your opponent to overextend into a position that youre no longer occupying) and advancing (as to threaten your opponents space, either in hopes to get them to give up space preemptively or find an opening in their defense). so sometimes its essential to give up space in order to win. this is what makes DD so threatening and useful to the overall meta, both the dash back and the dash forward have importance and uses. using wavedash back or wavedash forward will most definitely give you an opportunity to get dtilts where you wouldnt be able to using just RC dtilt.

i hope that helps to answer your question and if ive left out something that youre curious about or explained something vaguely then feel free to ask for clarification.

Blatant J

Smash Cadet
T Taytertot Thanks for the reply mate that's really helpful. I've actually been using the wavedash back d-tilt for a while now, but playing against better people means I can't just rely on punishing. I've been finding it hard to identify opportunities to wd forward aggressively to d tilt them and usually end up paying for it.

lokt

Smash Cadet
So I was watching some m2k vods and I noticed that he likes to shield at the ledge vs falco and either shield grab or up-b to beat double lasers from the ledge.

I feel like this is kind of risky because you'd have to shield preemptively in a bad position. So my question is what else can marth do against double lasers while maintaining good position?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
So I was watching some m2k vods and I noticed that he likes to shield at the ledge vs falco and either shield grab or up-b to beat double lasers from the ledge.

I feel like this is kind of risky because you'd have to shield preemptively in a bad position. So my question is what else can marth do against double lasers while maintaining good position?
Crouch-cancel

Top Bottom