• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Shchoo

Smash Cadet
DL and YS are the two stages that I hesitate the most on when deciding where I want to CP against a Fox main. I know that I play quite well on DL and YS both, but it's a difficult decision. As Leffen proved against M2K at SSC, Fox can take a Marth from 0-death in less than 15 seconds on YS if his punish game is good. Basically, I consider my options. Assuming that the Fox wins the first round, it suddenly becomes a very interesting mindset that I have, assuming I'm resigned to using Marth.

Odds are that the Fox banned either FD or YS, which are historically the two best stages for Marth. If they banned YS, FD is my automatic choice. If they banned FD, however, I don't always go to YS. Battlefield is a risk in my opinion because of it's stupid architecture's potential to kill you just because you don't have the spacies' recovery. FoD is really volatile because of it's platforms, so it's generally a risk in my mind. DL is typically Fox's strongest stage in the MU, but I'm stuck between that and PS. On PS, Fox has massive advantages during the Rock and Fire Transformations, but it's neutral or in Marth's favor during Grass and Water, and I'm a fan of the neutral state of the stage. We've already seen that PS is becoming a good CP for Marth's against Fox, so that's actually my go-to choice, but against aggro Fox's I go to DL, and on defensive Fox's I head straight to YS. For the sole reason of getting Battlefielded, I hate Battlefield.
Generally how my sets go against fox is we'll go to Battlefield game one, and then Yoshis game 2, and then PS, pretty much regardless of who won which games, obviously unless they don't ban FD. I'll probably start trying to go PS game two if I lose game one, then let them take me to yoshis game 3 cause I still prefer it over DL

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
When stage striking a Fox, the two bans that I always make are DL and Battlefield, the former due to statistics and the latter for aforementioned reasons. Past those two stage strikes, I don't care too much where we go first game, as I've eliminated my two weakest stages either way. Past that, what stages we go to really depend on the winner of the first match and the Fox's playstyle, so I can't give any kind of guaranteed.

I mentioned earlier that most everything changes based on who you're fighting... so here's an example of how I go against my bro's Sheik. Basically, I keep him off of FD. Between needles and really nice dash attacks, he can generally lock down my Marth quickly, even though I capitalize off of every hit better than he does. That's just a quick example, but I figured I'd just further that argument a little bit.

Shchoo

Smash Cadet
When stage striking a Fox, the two bans that I always make are DL and Battlefield, the former due to statistics and the latter for aforementioned reasons. Past those two stage strikes, I don't care too much where we go first game, as I've eliminated my two weakest stages either way. Past that, what stages we go to really depend on the winner of the first match and the Fox's playstyle, so I can't give any kind of guaranteed.

I mentioned earlier that most everything changes based on who you're fighting... so here's an example of how I go against my bro's Sheik. Basically, I keep him off of FD. Between needles and really nice dash attacks, he can generally lock down my Marth quickly, even though I capitalize off of every hit better than he does. That's just a quick example, but I figured I'd just further that argument a little bit.
Makes sense. I've also been trying to work on my Falco as a co-main or secondary, so it'll make the stage selection a little different of course, like, I could let sheiks take me to FD and just CP falco because I love playing him on that stage, and am not as confident in the Marth Sheik MU.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
If your opponent is good with comboing as Sheik and you want to play Falco against her (he's my secondary, too), I have one massive warning for you: don't miss techs. A lot of characters can punish missed techs super hard, but Sheik will wrack up damage super quickly on you for just a few missed techs, and we all know how amazing Falco is offstage...

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Something I've been wondering, what's the best way to follow up a tipper fair or tipper down tilt on IC's at low %? I'm having trouble figuring out something that's both safe and yet presses the advantage.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I'm really wanting to look more at the Marth v Sheik matchup, as I believe it is very doable for Marth if not in his favor in theory. I've discussed with DruggedFox a bit about Marth vs Sheik in neutral and he says that it's much easier for Marth because Marth has his amazing range and dtilt that helps keep Sheik at bay. I'll have to study some sets between PPMD and M2K, as well as probably KK and PPU at Apex. I'll be wanting to play more Sheiks this weekend at The Fall Classic so that I can get good experience in the matchup.

Wafflesaurus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wafflesaurus
Something I've been wondering, what's the best way to follow up a tipper fair or tipper down tilt on IC's at low %? I'm having trouble figuring out something that's both safe and yet presses the advantage.
It really depends on how the ICs react to it or where they get sent off to. A good option that not many know about is just walking after the d tilt hits and doing another lol. Walking makes it so you can easily hit with the tipper and even if they shield, you will be safe.

Last edited:
FD, can be really, REALLY bad actually, if you aren't very good on flat terrain. It's the only stage without any form of platform, and you might not be so good at your chain-grab combos or fighting without any form of terrain defense. I, personally, in almost any match-up, am not as good on FD as on any other stage, simply because my platform game is extremely overpowering to most opponents, even with their shield-dropping shenanigans, and I just haven't practiced FD enough yet to be as good there as I am elsewhere. Counterpicks, I feel, are easily one of the top 3 most unique things about Melee (and we all know that is has a LOT of unique features), and part of that is because of how personalized it can be. DL could be Peach's best stage, or her worst nightmare. Especially against a character so easily versatile as Fox, counterpicking could be hit and miss and is definitely person specific. As an example, I am not sure I would ever want to CP Leffen to FD, because that's like his favorite stage. If you notice your opponent is hyper-aggressive, even on a bigger stage, then DL could be an excellent choice. Or maybe you want FoD, where the platforms make it harder to L-cancel and be fluid for many people. If you notice they camp a lot even when you struck to FoD, then pick YS. At super high levels people can adapt pretty well, but even at top levels it's still difficult to completely change your mindset from match to match due to stage choice. All this also depends on your own play-style and how well YOU can adapt to different stages, and your own preferences on play style. Maybe you have a hard time adapting to certain things, so you pick a certain stage to offset that weakness. And if you make a bad choice on CP, then hopefully you'll use the opportunity to learn from the mistake and come back a wiser player than before.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Hey @ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I'm having a lot of trouble with the shiek matchup. My training partners brother always beats me with sheik(even though I'm significantly better than him). He's like a really defensive sheik, so my usual strategy of applying pressure and drawing out dash attacks and grabs doesn't work. Everytime I attack he always bats me away with an f-tilt and I just can't seem to get around it. Help please?

Wafflesaurus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wafflesaurus
Hey @ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I'm having a lot of trouble with the shiek matchup. My training partners brother always beats me with sheik(even though I'm significantly better than him). He's like a really defensive sheik, so my usual strategy of applying pressure and drawing out dash attacks and grabs doesn't work. Everytime I attack he always bats me away with an f-tilt and I just can't seem to get around it. Help please?
It'd be much easier to help you out if you posted a video or something similar (and there's thread for that). If you are constantly being beaten by f-tilt, try crouch canceling more and spacing with d tilt or baiting him into doing preemptive f-tilts.

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
You are probably exaggerating, but if he ftilts you every time you run/jump at him, you can use this as a bait and punish in a similar fashion to how you punish dash attacks or wiffed grabs. For example, jump at him like you do when you fair, but pull back a bit and don't fair so his ftilt wiffs (if you are perfectly spacing fair, you might not need to pull back). Once you land, dash forward and grab. Sheik's ftilt has 17 frames of ending lag.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
If you both play defensively, one of you's going to have to take the offense. You said that your normal strategy of applying pressure doesn't work. Marth has very few legit pressure tools, but pretty much every one of them outspaces anything that Sheik can throw out (especially since she has to be standing to ftilt). I've talked a good bit before about Marth's DD game in terms of the neutral. Especially if your opponent isn't nearly as good as you are, then pay attention to your use of DDs and WDs. Faster movement like that can mess up most people. Remember that you have dtilt, grab, and to a lesser extent in this MU, SHFFL fair to threaten with. Juggling her with uair isn't terribly difficult, and while her recovery is rather odd, Marth's edgeguards are more than capable of handling her. In my opinion, the MU is probably 60-40 in Sheik's favor until you hit super top-level play, where it reaches 50-50, but don't let it daunt you. I'm quite a lot better than my bro (also a Sheik main), but he still beats me with fair regularity. Don't lose hope, just learn her tools.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It's hard to get defensive Sheik to approach you. You have to poke her into doing it or beat her straight up for hanging back. If you know she won't dash attack, then you can actually DD really close to her. This allows you to DD grab her Ftilt or space Fair(you have to space it really well and account for her walking forward into it sometimes but if you miss it's okay). You also have the option of run cancel/WD dtilt but since you'd be closer than normal you'd probably only need WD Dtilt as it doesn't go as far(and I think it's a little faster). Also you can actually just Fsmash if Sheik is just sitting more or less in place and doing Ftilt.

If you're getting shielded on attacks that aren't Ftilted, then you'll need to mix in running in and grabbing more with maybe a bit of spaced Fair. If you're beating her shield and Ftilts reliably at the closer spacing then she has to start dash attacking again. Until you beat those options often she won't do it much, so focus on fighting closer and practicing beating the Ftilt and shield.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
one thing i've been thinking about a good amount lately as a result of some old talks with forward and some recent marth sheik games i've had with him is the idea of "low APM" (his words) play and the role of the raw fsmash in marth's game.

the first thing i noticed from our games is that he definitely had the upper hand in the little micro-situations where the game gets slowed down. i'm no stranger to these situations and generally feel pretty comfortable in them, but basically, it always felt like his defense was impenetrable and he would generally be able to safely push in on me until he was able to force one of his sheiky aggressive mixups. basically, his position would always be more stable than mine, and it's because he's better at the slow-game than i am due to years and years of FG and smash experience through the ages >_> anyway, i'm trying to fix that by working on my own low-APM game, so let's talk about the role of fsmash in marth's neutral-gamey exchanges.

OBVIOUSLY, it's bad to spam fsmash. it's bad to rely on it in neutral. it's (in theory) bad to use as a hail-mary guess. YES, you generally need to poke, prod, and create small advantages using your dtilt pokes, aerial walls, movements, blah blah blah. however, the thing about f-smash is that it's his most.... egregiously unbeatable move. so the idea is basically to position yourself in a way that IF your opponent wants to get to you, they need to go through your f-smash. in other words, positions where you can safely abuse the constant threat of fsmash are "stable" just... for that very reason. they are positions where your opponent needs to respect your fsmash and therefore can't act too brashly. so basically, you can do a LOT with marth's movement to make this happen. you can obviously do this with large, aggressive movements in neutral (the dash away -> WD back in to mixup between f-smash and grab is one of the most CLASSIC Marth examples), but the thing i'm focusing on is using smaller movements and really fine control to explore what advantages i can create with that spacing, for example, walking, WD in place/baby WD, Cactus dash, etc. learning to control marth on a low-APM level also creates HUGE benefits for your punish game because it allows you to set up really devastating tech-chases and corner traps. and basically, having this MICRO-SITUATIONAL stability will allow you to more safely and reliably push forward in a MACRO-SITUATIONAL sense.

and then there's the layer of actually... SWINGING on the f-smash. i need to go to work in 45 minutes and don't want to talk too long about it, but basically, i think it's good to swing on the f-smash sometimes, ESPECIALLY when you get good at evaluating situations for whether the f-smash is a favorable or unfavorable gamble. but in general, if the opponent is in the corner, in the air, making really telegraphed aggressive movements, etc, the expected value of your raw fsmash is WAY higher. and obviously, you can train yourself to react to some things or common situations and punish with f-smash.

so, that stuff is pretty swell in a vacuum. however, we also need to consider the benefits you get when you think about it in the grand scheme of marth's game, forcing the opponent to act with respect to your fsmash opens up an ENTIRE WORLD of opportunities with your movement, walling, and poking. you're marth. do marth stuff to them.

i suppose this idea isn't very new at all, but this is how i've been trying to use the ideas in my actual gameplay. thoughts, @ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee ?

OH, i've also been thinking a little more about the types of movements to use when you want to press forward vs when you want to retreat. but BASICALLY, the thing i kinda realized is that you need to use shorter, safer movements when you are trying to press forward with dtilt (as i said earlier, walk, WD in place, baby WD, and in general, just understanding what spacings/movements you can safely dtilt with), since you need to REALLY be careful not to overextend since you're moving into their space. so basically, the idea is to press forward with pin-point accuracy as much as you know you can. and when you're retreating, you have the liberty to take bigger movements since you're moving to somewhere more safe, but obviously, you don't want to move back too far as well, and there's things you can do to vary your WD length and aahhhhh Melee is so good. However, I was thinking about this because I remember watching Plup's Samus with Taj and he made a note about how well Plup was using WD back -> walk forward.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
In an era of increased technical proficiency, it becomes increasingly valuable to know how to play slow effectively. Simply, this is because pace mixups are useful and you never know who you will play but also because there will be times when the opponent seeks to slow you down and you must know how to respond. Marth can also threaten extremely well from slower play. This is part of what I mean when I say "less is more." If you establish your threats such as Fsmash well, then you need to do minimal movement or swinging to instill proper fear into your opponent gain leverage in a given situation(often leverage is stage position, but it may just be frame or reaction advantage, or all three things, or something else).

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
So true. Reaction based aerials (fair is awesome) and wavelands (in addition to a good ground game) give marth enough room to feel his opponent out and adapt to pace-changing strategies without being sub optimal, per se. Polar opposite would be fox, where slow play must be executed with virtually perfect reactions, spacing, and zoning.

Glad you still post so much @ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I actually think Fox can do a similar thing to Marth when he plays slowly and can abuse his bursts of movement in multiple directions and quick attacks well. So it looks different than Marth in setup and often result, but the pacing notably slows to similar levels of inputs and (sometimes) similarly slow positional change. The difference between Marth and Fox outside of what I listed is Fox can also use jumps, often FH, to zone as well so he is more capable and likely to add a vertical component. This vertical strength is true regardless of pacing but it's worth mentioning I feel partly due to acknowledging Fox has a fast jump whether he FFs or not whereas only Marth's FF seems somewhat speedy and another part to highlight their differences as characters since many still do not seem to know of or abuse Fox's great vertical game.

And yeah man I love posting and talking about the game haha

Speaking of Sheik's, I find it difficult to DI properly against her (partly because I haven't had a good Sheik to play consistently in a very long time), particularly when she gets a grab. I hate Sheik grabs. Obviously it would be optimal to never let Sheik get a grab on you, but that's unrealistic. So what do you all do, especially @ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee , when you get grabbed? She'll most likely go for the dthrow, unless of course she can throw you off-stage. And depending on %, the DI should alter somewhat. I guess I don't really understand my options when she gets that dthrow, because I end up just kinda panicking and throwing out some random DI that gets me caught into like a million ftilts to up or fthrow to tech chased regrab to offstage death. Is it better to save my jump rather than lose it trying to jump away from her, or should I jump up and find myself way above her? Then what? If I DI up, back, or forward, what are the possible outcomes, and how will Sheik decide to chase me down? I also have a hard time vs Sheik in general; it seems I never know when the right moment is to be airborne vs stay on the ground.

I'm-a go watch that set of @ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee vs Plup at Evo and do some study on it while I read all your answers. Maybe you can give me some specifics in that set to look at too, PPMD. Or other sets to watch that are relevant to our time period.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
There's a slight forward DI you should do at low percents so you can DJ out of regrab but not get usmashed. She can Ftilt and do other stuff to this but it's a mixup game instead of guaranteed.

Holding out is generally really good vs her especially if it's a combo percent(obviously more risky higher percent). Taking a Fair and DI'ing kinda bad but being able to live >>> getting comboed hard on Ftilt.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I believe I learn the game best when I am playing others and trying to learn about how the game works through my own play. I'm looking really forward to The Fall Classic tomorrow for a number or reasons and one of those reasons is that I really want to play a bunch of good Sheiks and learn that matchup really well as Marth. Here's my go-to plan when I'm playing people:

• Focus on stage position. What are moments that I am able to take stage position over Sheik and what am I able to do with the advantage? What if the vice versa happens?
  • How do I attempt to manipulate and condition my opponent? Do I keep going for the same mix-ups and stagnate or do I actually consistently trick my opponent? Do I recognize when I'm being conditioned? Do I have counters to him/her conditioning me?
  • A lot of focus and concentration on neutral. I want to try different things like focusing purely on Sheik's position, focusing on Sheik's potential range and threat, and focus on the distance between her and I.
  • What are my plans at the edge when Sheik has me trapped there? I could fair her if she gets too close but I have to pay attention to her % at that moment because she could very well CC it. I could use some more insight on what Marth is supposed to do at the ledge, cause I end up being rather basic and attack from the ledge, roll, or just ledge-dash on and run past the Sheik.
  • Coming down from Sheik sending me up also seems like a really uncomfortable position. I assume to help this situation out, I need to retreat to a ledge if I'm close to one and fall towards it with the threat of hitting Sheik with fair.
  • When I land a dtilt on her in neutral and she doesn't CC it, should I always try to follow it up with something or should I bait out her double jumping out of fear? I know I tend to wait for my opponent to double jump in situations like these and punish them for it, but that's usually only after they do it several times and I take notice. Usually higher level players won't do this, so I'm thinking how I can punish a habit like that earlier.
  • I do a lot of late fair into dtilt in neutral and I'm wondering just how safe that is. If Sheik tries to dash attack me after my fair she is likely to get dtilted, and if she waits for my dtilt I could just dash back.
  • Speaking of dashing back that seems to be a habit of mine that only higher level players will punish me for (namely Twitch) and I do it because I feel scared when I do a move in neutral and it doesn't land. I know sometimes moving forward and attacking is a good idea once you've conditioned your opponent that you are going to dash back, but it's hard for me to recognize moments like this.
  • I want to see how playing slowly and playing quickly can affect my play style with Marth. I know he is playable in both instances but it's hard for me to decide when I should slow down or speed up in the middle of a match. Should I do a check after a period of time to see if I can conclude what style should counter my opponent? Adapting is complicated haha
  • I really want to grab the ledge from Sheik when she tries to shino stall. I know the data to do that from Kadano's thread, but let's say I don't get the timing right and she grabs the ledge before me, how do I flow in that situation so that I am able to get back on stage and be safe again? I know it's a risk but I want to have as much damage control as possible if I make a mistake. I'm thinking that a DJ instant fair or maybe nair towards the stage might help, or maybe an on-reaction DJ air-dodge to get back to the stage.
  • I know I'm going to face a lot of Sheiks that will come down with a needle storm on my shield and grab me. If I catch myself being in shield in that situation, should I try to wavedash away from her or wavedash behind her? How about a rising full hop nair/fair to catch her going up or coming down?
  • When edge-guarding Sheik, are there situations where it is a good idea to go off-stage and try to gimp her that way? Or is it best to just grab the ledge once she's off and do a rinse-and-repeat edgeguard?
  • Is CC jab viable as Marth in this matchup? I'm thinking no because jab might be too laggy but I'm not super sure
  • up-b to get out of certain combos? I've seen it be used before and be rather effective.
  • When I grab Sheik, is it better to send her into the air and onto a platform, or is it better to try to pseudo-tech-chase her by f-throw and d-throwing her so that I get better stage position? I would assume this question depends on where I grab Sheik on the stage, and which stage of course.
Alright that's enough for now. I'll be studying videos and pondering about these situations in particular. Any input is greatly appreciated :)

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
How can fox trotting be used in certain situations?

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
How can fox trotting be used in certain situations?
It can be used pretty well for extending DDs and messing up your opponent. Also, Marth's Dash Attack has the lunge forwards regardless of your speed, provided you're in dash or run animations, so you can get the weird dash forwards out of an almost stationary Marth using foxtrots.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
one thing i've been thinking about a good amount lately as a result of some old talks with forward and some recent marth sheik games i've had with him is the idea of "low APM" (his words) play and the role of the raw fsmash in marth's game.

the first thing i noticed from our games is that he definitely had the upper hand in the little micro-situations where the game gets slowed down. i'm no stranger to these situations and generally feel pretty comfortable in them, but basically, it always felt like his defense was impenetrable and he would generally be able to safely push in on me until he was able to force one of his sheiky aggressive mixups. basically, his position would always be more stable than mine, and it's because he's better at the slow-game than i am due to years and years of FG and smash experience through the ages >_> anyway, i'm trying to fix that by working on my own low-APM game, so let's talk about the role of fsmash in marth's neutral-gamey exchanges.

OBVIOUSLY, it's bad to spam fsmash. it's bad to rely on it in neutral. it's (in theory) bad to use as a hail-mary guess. YES, you generally need to poke, prod, and create small advantages using your dtilt pokes, aerial walls, movements, blah blah blah. however, the thing about f-smash is that it's his most.... egregiously unbeatable move. so the idea is basically to position yourself in a way that IF your opponent wants to get to you, they need to go through your f-smash. in other words, positions where you can safely abuse the constant threat of fsmash are "stable" just... for that very reason. they are positions where your opponent needs to respect your fsmash and therefore can't act too brashly. so basically, you can do a LOT with marth's movement to make this happen. you can obviously do this with large, aggressive movements in neutral (the dash away -> WD back in to mixup between f-smash and grab is one of the most CLASSIC Marth examples), but the thing i'm focusing on is using smaller movements and really fine control to explore what advantages i can create with that spacing, for example, walking, WD in place/baby WD, Cactus dash, etc. learning to control marth on a low-APM level also creates HUGE benefits for your punish game because it allows you to set up really devastating tech-chases and corner traps. and basically, having this MICRO-SITUATIONAL stability will allow you to more safely and reliably push forward in a MACRO-SITUATIONAL sense.

and then there's the layer of actually... SWINGING on the f-smash. i need to go to work in 45 minutes and don't want to talk too long about it, but basically, i think it's good to swing on the f-smash sometimes, ESPECIALLY when you get good at evaluating situations for whether the f-smash is a favorable or unfavorable gamble. but in general, if the opponent is in the corner, in the air, making really telegraphed aggressive movements, etc, the expected value of your raw fsmash is WAY higher. and obviously, you can train yourself to react to some things or common situations and punish with f-smash.

so, that stuff is pretty swell in a vacuum. however, we also need to consider the benefits you get when you think about it in the grand scheme of marth's game, forcing the opponent to act with respect to your fsmash opens up an ENTIRE WORLD of opportunities with your movement, walling, and poking. you're marth. do marth stuff to them.

i suppose this idea isn't very new at all, but this is how i've been trying to use the ideas in my actual gameplay. thoughts, @ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee ?

OH, i've also been thinking a little more about the types of movements to use when you want to press forward vs when you want to retreat. but BASICALLY, the thing i kinda realized is that you need to use shorter, safer movements when you are trying to press forward with dtilt (as i said earlier, walk, WD in place, baby WD, and in general, just understanding what spacings/movements you can safely dtilt with), since you need to REALLY be careful not to overextend since you're moving into their space. so basically, the idea is to press forward with pin-point accuracy as much as you know you can. and when you're retreating, you have the liberty to take bigger movements since you're moving to somewhere more safe, but obviously, you don't want to move back too far as well, and there's things you can do to vary your WD length and aahhhhh Melee is so good. However, I was thinking about this because I remember watching Plup's Samus with Taj and he made a note about how well Plup was using WD back -> walk forward.
Great post. I didn't realize until reading it, but the idea about fsmash creating stable situations is something I certainly agree with. Its something that is pretty apparent in lower level play, especially lower level Marth dittoes, but seems to kind of fall by the wayside pretty quickly. I am just thinking about all the time I feel most in control of neutral, and its when my fsmash is threatening enough to create that wall you see in lower level matches. Like you said, obviously the wall becomes more theoretical, the more they can punish you for missing/getting blocked, but its still very much there and I think it is important to let it rock if they are getting too cute. Without that threat, I think it can be hard to corner pressure/cover the landing of some characters, and it certainly becomes easier if you can establish it. I also think pivot fsmash can be useful in covering landings because you can very quickly both position your hurtbox to force whiffs and/or call their path with a tipper, which can be a relatively soft read in some situations with very good reward.

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
@ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

Not sure if you've answered this question before, but how come you didn't take Armada's Fox to FD at Apex or Evo? Were you not comfortable using that CP at the time or is it a more inherent, player vs. player decision?

Also, I was watching your sets vs. Hugs at Evo and I noticed that you almost never used dtilt. However, during your last encounter at Apex it seemed to be getting you a lot of mileage. Was there a reason for this? Did Hugs change up his strategy making dtilt harder to use?

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
@ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

Not sure if you've answered this question before, but how come you didn't take Armada's Fox to FD at Apex or Evo? Were you not comfortable using that CP at the time or is it a more inherent, player vs. player decision?

Also, I was watching your sets vs. Hugs at Evo and I noticed that you almost never used dtilt. However, during your last encounter at Apex it seemed to be getting you a lot of mileage. Was there a reason for this? Did Hugs change up his strategy making dtilt harder to use?
I'm pretty sure he said that he prefers PS over FD in the Fox MU because the platforms give him a bit of leniency if he messes up his CGs, and the slightly larger stage makes defense easier.

I can't answer about vs. HugS at EVO, but also remember that (no offense) he wasn't playing horribly well at EVO. He certainly got better as the tourney progressed, but he was clearly not on his A-game.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

Evo I didn't take him there because I was playing so poorly I knew I'd miss all of my CGs so I opted for going for some easier platform combos instead.

Hugs did well vs Dtilt so I stopped using it. I wasn't very clear-minded playing him so I didn't adapt or probably use the tool well in the first place.

PoppaSquat

Smash Rookie
For me it just depends on where my opponent spent most of his time. I've played a few foxes and falcos that loooove to camp top platform and fall with an aerial (works really well on BF and DL) so with them I normally counter pick PS (so i can at least keep my platform movement). If the fox is relying a lot on grabs and up smashes to get kills the I enjoy the extra platforms to abuse marth's super slick movement. I personally don't believe BF is even against falco because of his NIL to the top platform lets him cover space incredibly well, as well as forcing marth's to either over commit with his double jump or laggy up air (WL on side platforms are also an option but will reach top platform much more slowly). I'm also having a hard time beating foxes on FD, I know it should be in Marth's favor but I'm just not getting it, I feel like I'm down a counter pick against them. Any ideas on how to approach that matchup?

PoppaSquat

Smash Rookie
Also with Captain Falcon, where can I counter pick him? just FoD and Yoshi's? and if I'm dash dancing and he starts over shooting with nair approach what should I do? They keep catching my dash away

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
@ PoppaSquat PoppaSquat

While the Fox MU should be in Marth's favor on FD, you've gotta win the neutral first. Obviously the neutral is a little harder to win against Fox due to his insane speed and everything, but just go for basic stuff. If he feels uncomfortable when you get too close to him, he'll probably try approaching you or giving up stage control. With less space, he should be even easier to bait out than before, so just keep your stage control. Remember that as Marth, less swinging is more, and that you can threaten with grab, dtilt, or SHFFL/Double fair out of DD, so make them respect you. As soon as you win the neutral, the simplest thing is not to drop your combo. Be careful for shines as early as 10%, but don't let it discourage you. You should be able to keep combos going and force him off of the edge super easily in this stage.

The CP war with Falcon is about the same as PPMD described as it is against Fox. If they love playing defensively, don't let them go to DL because they'll just wreck you. Also, FD is a pretty risky choice if their combo game is on point. If they're playing aggro, YS will probably turn against you really quickly, so probably go for BF or I suppose FD for the first game, and then choose your next stage wisely if you lose.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
@ PoppaSquat PoppaSquat
The CP war with Falcon is about the same as PPMD described as it is against Fox. If they love playing defensively, don't let them go to DL because they'll just wreck you. Also, FD is a pretty risky choice if their combo game is on point. If they're playing aggro, YS will probably turn against you really quickly, so probably go for BF or I suppose FD for the first game, and then choose your next stage wisely if you lose.
One goal every Marth main should have is to develop their game far enough to where they can overcome situations like this. Marth has every tool necessary to accomplish this but it's something that can only be developed through years of tournament experience. This is personally my ultimate goal.

Evo I didn't take him there because I was playing so poorly I knew I'd miss all of my CGs so I opted for going for some easier platform combos instead.
Although this seems like a very simple concept, @ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee is saying something very insightful here that everyone can learn from. Counterpicking Fox to FD seems like bread and butter, optimal decision making but there are times that it's perfectly okay to opt out of it, whether you win or lose, simply based on how well you know yourself and your own play.

Last edited:

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Also with Captain Falcon, where can I counter pick him? just FoD and Yoshi's? and if I'm dash dancing and he starts over shooting with nair approach what should I do? They keep catching my dash away
If he's over-shooting nairs, try dashing under him. Marth's dash will let you go right under the first hit of Falcon's nair, meaning they either have to catch you with the second hit, or delay the first hit until much later. Either way, it means Falcon has to wait for a bit out of his short hop before he can actually hit you, which makes avoiding his aerials much easier.

Regarding FD, the stage simply is not worth picking if you aren't good with the chaingrab. Spacies can punish harder there as well, and Falco's lasers are particularly annoying on that stage, so if you're not getting those 0-80 combos off of a grab, I'd go elsewhere.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
@ Nicholas1024 Nicholas1024 It depends on the Falcon. NCs #1 player* is a Falcon main, but we've also got some that really suck or are really good, but overshooting nairs definitely something to look for.

*Our PRs have PPMD listed at #0 because we all know he's the best, but he's not active in locals.

Last edited:

The Maven

Smash Rookie
There are two ways I'd look at this:
  1. Why are they catching your dash away?; and
  2. If you stay outside Falcon's dash sh nair range, this stops being a problem.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
If you stay outside Falcon's dash sh nair range, this stops being a problem.
This is the wrong approach to take against Falcon. Falcon's SH dash Nair range is absolutely massive, and if you give him that much space, he'll simply use it to run circles around you, back you up against the ledge, and then hit you with a nair or knee anyway.

Last edited:

just_dan

Smash Rookie
Ugh why does this account just log in on its own after years of inactivity?? So strange, please delete.

Last edited:

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
This is the wrong approach to take against Falcon. Falcon's SH dash Nair range is absolutely massive, and if you give him that much space, he'll simply use it to run circles around you, back you up against the ledge, and then hit you with a nair or knee anyway.
Falcon's sh nair is the main reason the matchup is pretty even imo. Falcon really needs it to establish his space and start his combos. He would have a rough go at getting solid hits on Marth without it, and it really extends his DD threat to stupid lengths against Marth because you can't punish him very well (if at all) if it hits the back of your shield, beats dash away soundly unless you have the spacing to cover yourself with bair or something risky like side b (probably giving up tons of stage even if it hits) or doing a very tight input like pivot fair, and I don't like the numbers game trying to stuff it on a consistent basis when they have center stage because fair's short duration makes it so you have to give up alot of ground in order to space properly and you can get hit out of nair pretty easily unless you are moving forward with it, which is pretty bad on whiff/block/cc. You wouldn't have to respect Falcon nearly as much without his SH nair, and could work from much more favorable spacing while he is only left with aerials that are much more punishable and harder to connect. Marth doesn't really have great answers to sh nair provided Falcon is using them well. The only real consistent solution (other than pvp interactions that always apply like baiting), in my mind, is to shut it down before it is established by forcing situations in which it doesn't cover much stage and punishing the hell out of him in order to negate some of the potential losses you take on in having to challenge it, because if you can't challenge it on occasion, then he will be in control of neutral most of the game.

I really hate Falcon's running sh nair as Marth, its just one of those lynchpin moves that changes the whole matchup because of how it slices right into the other character's typical defenses and opens them up. Thank god his ground moves and recovery are bad or Falcon could possibly be to Marth what Peach is to IC's.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
@ Dr Peepee Dr Peepee Since the cap on TBH5 has been boosted so much and you've had some time to practice, do you have any idea yet if you'll join? Sorry if I seem naggy, I just love watching you play.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Falcon's sh nair is the main reason the matchup is pretty even imo. Falcon really needs it to establish his space and start his combos. He would have a rough go at getting solid hits on Marth without it, and it really extends his DD threat to stupid lengths against Marth because you can't punish him very well (if at all) if it hits the back of your shield, beats dash away soundly unless you have the spacing to cover yourself with bair or something risky like side b (probably giving up tons of stage even if it hits) or doing a very tight input like pivot fair, and I don't like the numbers game trying to stuff it on a consistent basis when they have center stage because fair's short duration makes it so you have to give up alot of ground in order to space properly and you can get hit out of nair pretty easily unless you are moving forward with it, which is pretty bad on whiff/block/cc. You wouldn't have to respect Falcon nearly as much without his SH nair, and could work from much more favorable spacing while he is only left with aerials that are much more punishable and harder to connect. Marth doesn't really have great answers to sh nair provided Falcon is using them well. The only real consistent solution (other than pvp interactions that always apply like baiting), in my mind, is to shut it down before it is established by forcing situations in which it doesn't cover much stage and punishing the hell out of him in order to negate some of the potential losses you take on in having to challenge it, because if you can't challenge it on occasion, then he will be in control of neutral most of the game.

I really hate Falcon's running sh nair as Marth, its just one of those lynchpin moves that changes the whole matchup because of how it slices right into the other character's typical defenses and opens them up. Thank god his ground moves and recovery are bad or Falcon could possibly be to Marth what Peach is to IC's.
1. CC falcon's nair more
2. if falcon's ground moves and recovery were good, he probably be the best character in the game >_>

Top Bottom