• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I've got a question about the Marth/Falcon matchup.

For a long time I've been just edge guarding his up-B at the ledge with neutral B, F-smash, and D-tilt, and that used to be sufficient. However, recently I've been finding Falcons teching off the stage and immediately up-B'ing again, and I can't edge guard the second one because I'm still in lag.

So with that in mind, is there some "better" way to edge guard Falcon that doesn't give him the chance to tech? (Or alternatively, can somehow cover both the original up-B and then the tech)

For a long time I've been just edge guarding his up-B at the ledge with neutral B, F-smash, and D-tilt, and that used to be sufficient. However, recently I've been finding Falcons teching off the stage and immediately up-B'ing again, and I can't edge guard the second one because I'm still in lag.

So with that in mind, is there some "better" way to edge guard Falcon that doesn't give him the chance to tech? (Or alternatively, can somehow cover both the original up-B and then the tech)
Since there many trajectories involved with this example I'll assume the two cases of Falcon recovered high and went to the ledge or came from below to grab the ledge. For the high recovery situation, you need to swing sooner to hit him further out from the stage to prevent teching. For below the stage recovery make sure you are getting your tipper spacing on those moves. If you are getting grabbed from a tech -> UpB then you are closer to the ledge than you probably have to be. Plus, Dtilt has the least lag of all of those moves. While it won't KO straight out at lower percents, sets you up to just poke him again and again until his percentage is high enough to die to it. Or you have adequate time to grab the ledge. As already said, ending lag is terrible.

Plus, over all I think the best method against Falcon is to just go out there and follow him. If you hit him before he leaves the apex of his UpB, then he has no options to move back and forth when coming down. You also remove any chance for your moves to be teched as well.

Mahie

Smash Lord
You can also try to land a reverse upB on Falcon. If you do it well, the worst case scenario will involve getting grabbed by Falcon's upB which most of the time means that Falcon's stock is gone.

Fair > upB or raw upB both work.

supreme jd

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to improve my tech chasing game with Marth. My friends like to tech in place often, so I've usually been dash dancing into jc grab on top of their body expecting the neutral tech. Is this optimal? What are some other good options for tech chasing? I used to use fsmash, but I find that if I'm slightly off with my timing then I'll usually miss and get punished for it. Also, what if they roll left or right? I haven't tried it yet but I could probably just dash/wavedash the way they teched and jc grab?

I'd like to hear what you guys use for tech chasing as well. I'd love to level up my tech chasing game.

AprilShaw

aka Logan

It's a little cheesy, but if they don't sweet spot, you can dash grab at the ledge and do a grab release (don't pummel if they don't have double jump). This leads to one of two scenarios: one, they break out down, in which case I believe they just die if they don't have their double jump. Or two, they do a jumping break out, in which case I've found that I can easily get an edgeguard off the platform.

It might not be as good for you, but the Falcon I play with the most is very good at recovering low with his techs, and I do much better edgeguarding him high.

Another thing I like to do is grab ledge -> fall off and poke at him with reverse fairs. It's tough though, you have to be consistent at hitting the reverse hitbox.

Finally, if they're expecting a dtilt and try to tech it, you can do a sour spot jab which they'll try to tech usually. Then, they can't tech your next attack, unless they wait a bit, in which case you can edgehog.

These aren't guaranteed edgeguards by any means but I've made them work pretty often. The trick is to keep mixing things up imo.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Why is Nair considered not that great of a move?
It's an amazing move, but people have a tendency to use it really improperly (most common mistake is SHFFLing nairs towards your opponent). It's also used a lot from the ledge or when DJing back onto the stage where the first hit being CCed can lead to death.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
When you expect spacies to forward B onto the stage or to the edge, is there a better alternative than jabbing?

Another question is how do most people deal with Young Link/Link's projectiles?

Last edited:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
If you expect it, you can obviously throw out something with more oopmh than a jab. The thing about jab is that it's out really fast (so reacting is easy) and has little winddown (so you can act faster in case you miss).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BNhfBVtAIo#t=113 probably not the greatest example, but I use an ftilt there because the jab wouldn't knock him back offstage. (jab > grab might have been a good alternative, no idea :D)

Last edited:

T-R3X

Smash Cadet
On the topic of Marth's Nair, Mew2King seems to use it to approach sometimes, similar to ROM7 on match 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoUgDqrmhIA
I was wondering how are his cases justified?
As I understand marth's nair is an okay approach mixup.
Firstly I should say that landing nair is good because it can lead to lots of things and combos and can even kill at some percents. But I digress.

Basically
in general
when approaching with nair you have to keep in mind that nair beats other aerials, but it falls to ground moves/crouch cancelling. sheik dash attack, falcon side b, crouch cancel forward smash/up smash, all these things and more beat marth's nair. Meanwhile marth nair stuffs spacie nairs/laser, falcon aerials, etc. etc. I don't think this is so true with floaty floaty characters like puff and peach because of their air mobility but I am not sure.

when should marth nair?
Spacies like to do things like nair and dair and laser usually so a nair is pretty justified as an approach in these match ups.
so in mango m2k at rom a good nair is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoUgDqrmhIA at 9:38, mew2king catches mango going for a laser and nairs him. This is a little more interesting in the falco match up because shffling is one way to deal with lasers.
Another good example if you look at say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJE9xppFp6c (dr peepee vs cyrain at cw6)
dr pp does two nairs quite early, one at 0:33 and the other at about 0:38. By the way I think dr peepee's a good marth to watch when I'm trying to understand how to use a move or where a move might fit into my playstyle since he has excellent spacing, precise movement, and his marth usually doesn't throw out a lot of moves (so when he does it's usually for a good reason). This is his thread after all I suppose.
The first nair he uses when cyrain is above him since it's a good combo starter and all that stuff but the second nair is cool because he edges forward ever so slightly and catches cyrain right as he's about to jump in and catches him. Cyrain does a very quick jab to escape getting grabbed and killed but that would be a good nair I think.
of course this does not mean nair all the time against spacies because they are quite strong on the ground as well (especially fox).

when should marth not nair?
Only one example since it seems kinda intuitive to me.
If you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUSwaCv7mm8 game 4 (starts at 7:23) dr peepee doesn't nair at all, essentially. This match up is different since sheik usually stays grounded (since she has a high/slow jump) so marth nairing at shiek can pretty much always lead to something like cc ftilt or dash attack or cc grab and then sheik tosses around marth like nothing.

Personally I think nair is a really interesting move and I'm really trying to think a lot about it also. hope this helped some!

squirrels4ev

Smash Apprentice
So I've been practicing my chaingrabbing on Fox and it's gotten to the point where I can get from 0-27 and from 33-~60 or higher consistently, but when I have Fox at 28-32 percent before I throw him, if he DIs all the way away in front of or behind me I can't figure out how to regrab him. I've been using the optimal chaingrab flowchart from this thread (http://smashboards.com/threads/compilation-of-matchup-guides.341532/) to practice, and all it says is "regular regrabs" at this percentage. Do I have to walk or perhaps dash->JC grab or WD->grab in order to catch him? Does it involve pivot grabbing in any way? I feel certain that I saw someone execute this at my last fest; however, they moved so fast I wasn't sure how they did it, and I forgot to ask them.

T-R3X

Smash Cadet
So I've been practicing my chaingrabbing on Fox and it's gotten to the point where I can get from 0-27 and from 33-~60 or higher consistently, but when I have Fox at 28-32 percent before I throw him, if he DIs all the way away in front of or behind me I can't figure out how to regrab him. I've been using the optimal chaingrab flowchart from this thread (http://smashboards.com/threads/compilation-of-matchup-guides.341532/) to practice, and all it says is "regular regrabs" at this percentage. Do I have to walk or perhaps dash->JC grab or WD->grab in order to catch him? Does it involve pivot grabbing in any way? I feel certain that I saw someone execute this at my last fest; however, they moved so fast I wasn't sure how they did it, and I forgot to ask them.
you have to walk or dash forwards

Bones0

Smash Legend
Stage doesn't really matter. Just focus on your fundamentals. Spacing fairs, AC nairs, and DD grabbing alone should be good tools vs. those characters. You might have to play a little aggressive vs. YL because of his projectiles, but you can DD camp/fair zone Ness and Yoshi pretty hard.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Yoshi's actually a really interesting matchup for Marth. I don't think it's too stage dependent, though DL64 can be very difficult to edgeguard him on. FD is likely your best bet followed by Yoshi's Story/Stadium. Battlefield is probably slightly in Yoshi's favor, and FoD is good in a lot of ways but every Yoshi player shield drops extremely well, so you have to be good at baiting and punishing shield drops. I recommend standing below and away and charging a shield breaker, or just hitting him with a no-charge shield breaker. On DL64/BF they have the option of going high for recovering as well as camping the top platform in certain situations which can be annoying. But neither are really bad, so just go where you're most comfortable.

Ness, you can go wherever you're most comfortable again, but his combos are best on FD and Stadium generally. I am partial to smaller stages because he's insanely easy to edgeguard, with FoD being my favorite against him.

For Y.Link, avoid DL64 as much as possible, and Battlefield can be rough too. FD is actually awkward against him too, because you can't stand under a platform to avoid bombs. FoD is, once again, my personal favorite, but Stadium and Yoshi's are great choices as well.

As for matchups,

Against Ness, his big strength is his offense game. Defensively, he's awful. So a lot of the times, I like to just get in his face with fairs and nairs (though stay outside of grab range). If you ever get him off stage, he will almost always try to air dodge back on, so read it. If he has to up B, I like to just jump out and get hit by it for the gimp. If you play aggressively while still respecting his dash attack, forward air, and grab, you'll be fine.

Against Young Link, you just want to avoid big stages and play aggressive against him. He actually has a really solid matchup against Marth (as does every low tier it seems haha), but your combo game on him is nuts. Don't give him space to pull a bomb, watch out for his really good recovery, and make sure you capitalize on any grabs/tipper fairs/dash attacks you get on him.

Against Yoshi, you have to play around his double jump. Marth has a REALLY hard time gimping good Yoshis. Just poke at him until he's at a high enough % to hit with a nair, bair, or ftilt and knock him out of his double jump. Grab a lot, and either up throw and wait for the double jump or down/forward throw and tech chase. Defensively, he's strongest when he's on a platform because of shield drops, so just make sure you expect that and don't go swinging at his shield from below. And finally, don't fsmash too much. Yoshis love that because it's so easy to parry. It's tempting because of how low it can knock him out of his double jump, but it's not worth the risk, except when edgeguarding if you don't think he's going to air dodge.

Hope this helps :)

Vanitas

Smash Ace
I've seen that dancing blade in the air can sometimes make your falling trajectory significantly quicker sometimes, I believe it's after a double jump or something? Does anyone know how that happens?

AprilShaw

aka Logan
When you side B in the air for the first time, you can a little "pop" of vertical momentum. If you do any other side Bs after that, they won't give you that momentum boost; instead, they'll change your velocity to some other falling speed (that is slightly slower than your normal falling speed, I believe).

When you land on the ground in a neutral landing animation (so landing while doing nothing, wavelanding, and possibly getting hit into the ground, not sure), your side B will "reset" so you get that little boost out of it again. If you land with an aerial, you will not get the little boost back, so make sure to wavedash at least once to reset it in that situation.

Here's a fun little thing you can do: short hop, side B, and do a down air afterwards. Now your side B momentum boost is gone. Now, run up to someone, short hop, and side B as you're going up. You'll immediately drop back down to the ground. It would be a really fun mixup if side B canceled its lag on landing like a spacies laser, but unfortunately, it doesn't work like that :p it's still kind of cool looking though.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
What are Marth's best options for edge guarding against a perfectly sweetspotted illusion while still giving time to cover other stuff?

Also, if you F-throw/D-throw a fastfaller offstage at low %, is it possible to get to the ledge or otherwise cover it before they can get to said ledge?

Life

Smash Hero
how are you supposed to recover in a marth ditto

I am uncharacteristically salty because I lost to borp fsmashing me over and over

Last edited:

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
I'm new so this is probably a stupid question, but whatever.

- I'm Marth against a Fox.

- the Fox keeps running circles around me and is constantly in my face.

- I want Fox to go away.

- Apart from shield grabbing or wavedashing out of shieldor something, I just want to hit him.

What would be my best options? I've seen The Moon frequently use shorthop dairs, but not really anyone else.

Thanks.

Life

Smash Hero

AprilShaw

aka Logan
how are you supposed to recover in a marth ditto

I am uncharacteristically salty because I lost to borp fsmashing me over and over
lol! I love how people are starting to know who Borp is xD

As for recovering, if you can't tech the ledge and your opponent doesn't mess up (which, Borp practically doesn't mess up), I think your only option is to recover out a bit and sweetspot. If he stands close enough to the ledge to hit you then, you can sometimes tilt your up B in to hit him with it.

Don't sweat losing to him though, he's really good at Marth dittos

Life

Smash Hero
lol! I love how people are starting to know who Borp is xD

As for recovering, if you can't tech the ledge and your opponent doesn't mess up (which, Borp practically doesn't mess up), I think your only option is to recover out a bit and sweetspot. If he stands close enough to the ledge to hit you then, you can sometimes tilt your up B in to hit him with it.

Don't sweat losing to him though, he's really good at Marth dittos
Thanks.

I haven't been able to make tournaments for the longest time and only heard of him because of the Pitt/CMU crew battle. The other thing is that I got very close to taking a game off Wenbo who 2-0'd our entire pool (I threw a one-stock lead multiple times IIRC, game 2 was last stock 120+%), so it kinda feels weird that Borp did so much better. Probably a style thing.

Anyway, yeah, I couldn't seem to find a sweetspot that didn't get me fsmashed. Does it move horizontally based on the edgeguarding Marth's spacing? So basically Marth is close -> recover close to hit him with upB; Marth is far away -> recover far away and sweetspot?

Last edited:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
If he's relatively far away you can space around the fsmash, yeah (Marth's tentacle arms allows you to grab the ledge while being crazily far away horizontally; I'd recommend playing around with that in training mode or sth, to get a feel how far you can actually be away). I think that if he's close you'll usually end up trading with his fsmash, so tech it and just go for another up-b (or learn to do the walljump bair tech). Personally, I just go for the tech every time and don't try to space around stuff... some percents is a price i'm always willing to pay to avoid misreading their choice and dying for it ;)

Regarding Borp-Wenbo: Wenbo did win here, didn't he? So exactly did Borp do better here, if you also had a close set with Wenbo? (Also: Wenbo is great, but he screws up sometimes. You really don't want to screw up your techskill when going against people playing smarter than you and Borp plays smarter than just about everybody ... :D)

Life

Smash Hero
I was saying I nearly took a game from Wenbo but could hardly touch Borp. IIRC Wenbo said he almost lost to Borp at some point, so...

IDK I guess I'm just trying to justify a really painful loss?

I think those sets were recorded if you're interested.

Last edited:

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Borp is famous around here for having a ludicrous number of JV5s. Some people just really struggle against his playstyle... like REALLY struggle.

My first time playing him in Marth dittos, I did 13%. And I was fairly good at the time (I'm ranked 10th in the region and can now beat Borp pretty regularly, depending on the matchup). It's just something about him, lol. It's like he has the mind of a top 5 player in the body of a casual...

Edit: I suppose that isn't really helpful for helping you get better.

Basically, Borp is a freaking master at punishing you for very specific things. Going for a grab at the wrong time, jumping when it's unsafe, missing your DI, recovering anything short of perfectly... he will punish you for these, often with a tipper or a throw. He also has an inhuman reaction speed, and is practically unphased by dash dancing unless it's REALLY good.

I think of it like this. There are like, 3 levels of "tech skill" for any action in the game: you cannot do it consistently, you can do it consistently but you process it mentally as a series of inputs, and you can do it consistently and you process it mentally as one action. I no longer think "jump then hold a direction then air dodge" when I'm wavedashing, on a conscious or subconscious level. I started practicing wavedashing in 2002... by this point, the motion is so well ingrained in me that to think about it in terms of the individual inputs would be like thinking of which muscles to move in my hand to write.

Imagine a player like Dr. PeePee. He has played and practiced the game so much and gotten so good that almost everything he can do is at that third level of tech skill. He never has to think in terms of what buttons to press; he simply thinks in terms of actions.

Borp is at that level as well, but not because his tech skill is so good, but because his list of actions is so small. He honestly seems to have no bad habits stemming from muscle memory, and he's insane when it comes to making reads on/reacting to things that other people don't even consider. Like, he doesn't just make reads for things like tech rolls. He makes reads on the timing of an action even better than on what action is chosen. I would honestly say that, in the situation where you have two people standing next to each other and shielding, he is the best player in the world at getting the grab/dodging the opponent's grab.

That said, there are two ways to beat Borp. One, is to out-Borp him; this is to say, try to read his basic, fundamental options better than he can yours. This is insanely hard, but it's the approach I take when playing with Borp in friendlies. The other way is to abuse strategies that he simply can't deal with due to a lack of options, e.g. laser camping as Falco. This is the approach I take when playing against him in tournament.

So, even though you didn't really ask, there's my writeup on how to beat Borp. If you are playing him at his own game (which you are often stuck doing in Marth dittos), you are going to have a very difficult time.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
Way to make me feel better about myself :)

I'm normally a slow-paced player (in part because my first tournaments were in Brawl, in part because I like to overthink things, or something along those lines) which is probably not helpful. Like, I get intimidated by space animals because they go so fast I can't process it as well as I'd like to Like, it took me like a half hour just to decide how to word this post. Sometimes I can slow my opponents down to my speed. Doesn't really work here. Dude's a glacier already.

I used to have a pocket Falco, maybe I should work on it again. Not to say that (re-)learning a new character is the solution to everything, but I feel like I'd have stood a better chance on Falco. Part of the reason I haven't played him is because he gets gimped easily. But if I'm playing Marth, where one of the things he does best is keeping someone offstage until they die, and I can't do that as consistently as the opponent, that's a lot less reason to play Marth against that person. Best play to a strength that I can leverage. Am I making sense?

...is it rude to talk about someone on a public forum thread they probably don't read?

Last edited:

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Well, you have to always decide if you're playing to win that game or to build up experience. Imo, pick the character you want to play, and play them. My Fox is a lot better than my Marth in almost every matchup, but I decided that I wanted to be a Marth main. So, Fight Pitt 4 was the first tournament I've ever been to where I didn't play Fox at all. I didn't do as well as I would have liked (I got 33rd, and I lost some matches I really think I would have won as Fox), but I learned a LOT and got to do a lot of cool stuff and I'm proud of my performance overall.

Playing Borp will definitely teach you a LOT about Melee. You should try to play with him more if you get the chance, if you're around Pittsburgh

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I'm fairly new to the Melee scene, started back in October, and have been working on improving since then.
I'm not sure if any of you guys are still helping out with Marth videos or not, but the "Everyone Look at Me thread" seems dead and I finally got a match on stream(a money match) which I won but I'm looking for any feedback you can give on anything i screwed up on or should have done, since I know I made a lot of mistakes.
http://www.twitch.tv/dead_on_tutorial/b/521326467
My match starts at 5:43:40
I've been to about 6 tournaments total, all local, but my placings usually fluctuate. This one was in Fresno,CA area which was 2 1/2 hour drive from me but I did better than I have in any previous tourneys ive been to. Just looking for any advice or things to work, I mostly play by myself since theres not many players here in Stockton who can play regularly.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yeah I struggled mad hard vs Borp <_<
I think half of it is just having to accept that you're getting Borped by this guy with no tech skill but a very strong mental game
When I finally accepted that a dude with so little tech skill could make good reads on my movement and do simple things to get away I did better (baited our rolls and stuff more, etc.)

Sheik moves being quite fast is also very annoying if he's being smart about what he's throwing out, he was really good about mixing in approaching grab and stuff that just ... hit me
I think I would've trucked him with Falco though because tech skilling this kind of simple style Sheik is actually pretty easy with Falco (i.e. when I lost to Omni in a small tourney and bopped him with Falco in losers :^D)

Life

Smash Hero
Yeah I struggled mad hard vs Borp <_<
I think half of it is just having to accept that you're getting Borped by this guy with no tech skill but a very strong mental game
When I finally accepted that a dude with so little tech skill could make good reads on my movement and do simple things to get away I did better (baited our rolls and stuff more, etc.)

Sheik moves being quite fast is also very annoying if he's being smart about what he's throwing out, he was really good about mixing in approaching grab and stuff that just ... hit me
I think I would've trucked him with Falco though because tech skilling this kind of simple style Sheik is actually pretty easy with Falco (i.e. when I lost to Omni in a small tourney and bopped him with Falco in losers :^D)
Thanks for showing up here. This mindset pretty much kept me from getting JV5'd rofl. Good games at FP4 btw.

Most of the damage I actually did in a lot of my losses (including Borp) came from camping on platforms until I could bait enough commitment to get under them and do another one of the things Marth is good at which is hitting people above him. I took him to FD in game 2 IIRC, specifically because I wanted to go at it without that aid so I could figure out other things when people inevitably learn to deal with that.

BTW, on the things I mentioned upthread: Managed to get some ledgeteching practice on (using the good old motion sensor bomb training) and finally pulled off a few successful ones on both sides of FD. I just have to get the motions internalized, then I can work on the timing, then I still have to implement it and also add the back air. As for Falco, I played around with him a little bit and worked on some basic techs, and also a couple of non-Falco techs I've been putting off learning. I'll be picking him up again for sure now. I do have a couple of questions but this is a Marth thread so I think I'll take them elsewhere.

EDIT @BDJ I'll probably take a look at your match at some point, just really busy and I'm not fantastic at this game either so I figured if someone better does it first I won't have to <.<

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
If you are actually practicing ledgeteching, I'd recommend you to learn to press x/y at the same time as R/L to get the techjump. That way you can concentrate on getting the bair out at the right timing.

T-R3X

Smash Cadet
If you are actually practicing ledgeteching, I'd recommend you to learn to press x/y at the same time as R/L to get the techjump. That way you can concentrate on getting the bair out at the right timing.
Actually you get the tech jump from pressing up and toward the stage as you tech, if I'm not mistaken.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Actually you get the tech jump from pressing up and toward the stage as you tech, if I'm not mistaken.
True, but Kadano recently discovered that you have 20 frame buffer window on the wall jump if you use x/y, which makes it a lot easier to do and then you can also focus on hitting the wall with sdi.

While we are at it, I also found out just now that ensuring to get PassiveWallJump and not PassiveWall is much easier than I thought until now. You have an input window of 20 frames before the tech to input your Jump trigger, but this can only be done with X or Y, not with control stick up. It’s pretty much a copy of the tech timer. So if you already know that you want PassiveWallJump, just press X/Y and L/R at the same time before you get hit. This way, you can focus on SDI into the wall and immediately doing the bair (or side-B with the spacies) without needing to react to your animation to confirm you don’t fall down in PassiveWall and bair to your death.

Last edited:
Top Bottom