• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Bones0

Smash Legend
I like this a lot.
Yo, I know this is random, but didn't you say PSing is hard with DK? I was trying yesterday and it's definitely almost impossible if you are facing forward, but if you dash away it's super easy. Just letting you know so you could do stuff like dash away, PS stop, bair OoS. It'd be sick to see it utilized properly. :D

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dair to Fsmash never works for me vs Twitch because he won't stop ASDI'ing down on the Dair so I can never combo it <.<

vs any character >.>

D

Deleted member

Dair to Fsmash never works for me vs Twitch because he won't stop ASDI'ing down on the Dair so I can never combo it <.<

vs any character >.>
i guess my next question is why not replace "dair > situational move" with "upthrow > smash the controller with your face > i can't believe this actually combos"?

edit: oh you said twitch, it all makes sense now.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I got uaired into a reverse dsmash (like the center of the hitbox right behind his feet). It was pretty crazy cause I got sent flying DIing straight down. lol

odinNJ

Smash Lord
one time i was uthrowing a fox (played by my training partener for reference) and i decided to be cheeky so i used reverse upB randomly at around 40 and it sent him ridiculously far off stage because he was DIing away. Mind Game?!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
i guess my next question is why not replace "dair > situational move" with "upthrow > smash the controller with your face > i can't believe this actually combos"?

edit: oh you said twitch, it all makes sense now.
Well yeah I mean the SH lets you easily react to rolls/techs instead of DD'ing but it's not worth it if I get no reward lol. So yeah I started grabbing only for the most part with the occasional tippered Fair because it can set up early tipper Fsmash kills occasionally.

TheLake

Smash Master
I like that thing moon was doing

where he wavedashed back

and down tilted then fsmashed

It had like incredible coverage

and is remarkably simple

Van.

Smash Ace
doctor pp please don't take this the wrong way but your girlfriend is more than a little attractive real talk

you've posted some variation of this decidedly mediocre joke so many times it's truly become painful to read

D

Deleted member

It had like incredible coverage

and is remarkably simple
the important thing isn't the coverage so much as most of his fsmashes were guaranteed to hit. excellent placement IMO. coverage kind of assumes that he had less of a chance to miss but still some chance, which is better than a blind swing but still not ideal. guaranteed is much better.

van- i'll post it until people get it. if you think you understand it, good for you.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If you don't fully know why or how to take advantage then it's worth repeating imo.

Juggling can be hard if you aren't thinking a lot about it, especially vs floaties who you have to juggle a lot sometimes.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Anyone have advice for comboing at lower %s in Marth dittos? Even when I tip fairs, the opponent just fairs/bairs out of the followup. It's really annoying.

Also, vs. spacies, how should I be handling tech-in-place -> shine?
A. Grab faster, before they can shine
B. Space the grab further away to hopefully avoid getting hit (mostly vs. the front of Falco's shine)
C. Wait it out and grab after
D. Dash attack or something else besides grab
E. Some combination of all of them

I have a similar issue with spotdodge shine.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Anyone have advice for comboing at lower %s in Marth dittos? Even when I tip fairs, the opponent just fairs/bairs out of the followup. It's really annoying.

B. Space the grab further away to hopefully avoid getting hit (mostly vs. the front of Falco's shine)

Making the other Marth jump and then Ftilt'ing/tippering Fair can be pretty good, but usually you want Dtilts of grabs at really low percents unless you can somehow weasel a Nair combo on their jump/them with no CC in.

Depends on % though, a little later you can start combo'ing Utilt really reliably when Fair won't combo yet.

Tech in place shine depends on how you set the situation up and whether they're on a platform or ground or by the edge or more middle of the stage(and %), BUT I have some general advice that can help.

Grab earlier can be good, especially if you dash towards where the spacie is landing so you just have to hit JC grab to get them.

Nair is awesome to cover that option and still allows you to grab/maybe Fsmash tech away(also works with spaced Fair but it tends to cover tech in since you can just turn around grab since you gotta space farther for Fair than Nair).

You can also space the grab but that's not totally needed. Another jank move is to run up shield grab because spacies usually don't jump right away after shining because they want to see if they get a hit before moving.

Beyond that I need to know situation stuff lol.

Mahone

Smash Champion

id say pretty much always C., there are very few players that will punish you for doing that option, and if they do you can adjust accordingly

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
A is bad, B always, C sometimes. There are other options..but in general reactive play on the grab is always better than hard read unless you hard read with something a lot stronger than grab..like dair, fair, fsmash tipper

oh and on stages with good chaingrabs, i still don't think hard reading the grab is good..then you just lose control if they techroll..marth thrives on control and reactive play..especially if you make the opponent run out of space first

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
relying on that is a sure way to get knocked out of perfection. people can't even zero to death fox/falco half the time yet you're arguing they should just perfect techchase. I'm not even sure that it is/isn't possible. no one has demonstrated on what frame it is physically possible for a tech in place to be distinguished from techroll. you have 19 frames; so if it takes 4 frames for a physically detectable difference then you would only have 15 frames to react..but if it were that many i know i would always perfect techchase. So most likely you can't tell till much later..making it extremely difficult. I know i could do it by dashing through the opponent and using the back part of dash grab if i timed it right..but that means you eat a combo from falco's shine if you try that and fail to react..it's not worth it

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
relying on that is a sure way to get knocked out of perfection. people can't even zero to death fox/falco half the time yet you're arguing they should just perfect techchase. I'm not even sure that it is/isn't possible. no one has demonstrated on what frame it is physically possible for a tech in place to be distinguished from techroll. you have 19 frames; so if it takes 4 frames for a physically detectable difference then you would only have 15 frames to react..but if it were that many i know i would always perfect techchase. So most likely you can't tell till much later..making it extremely difficult. I know i could do it by dashing through the opponent and using the back part of dash grab if i timed it right..but that means you eat a combo from falco's shine if you try that and fail to react..it's not worth it
Being ready to react to tech in place combined with experience aids your reaction time in these situations as long as you stay focused.

That said, sometimes people get tired. If this happens, then it's better not to go faster and trick the opponent and aerial or hit them after the shine or whatever.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
going faster is generally a good thing but luckily for marth we have options (nope not really).
Not to say it isn't the best choice to get a guaranteed grab by reacting quickly but there is nothing wrong with safe semi-reliable options.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
meant to say knocked out of competition but whatever...

always make typos and never proofread. Sigh

does anyone know when apex is again? i want to make sure i catch the stream live

Bones0

Smash Legend
id say pretty much always C., there are very few players that will punish you for doing that option, and if they do you can adjust accordingly
The main problem I have with C is that waiting gives them more options because they may usually shine, but sometimes they will spotdodge shine and then I get ****ed up. I'd just rather not get into that whole guessing game. I can do it vs. DJ pretty easily because he still JCs slowly and I play him all the time, but I don't think I'd be able to get it vs. faster players that I'm not used to playing.

A is bad, B always, C sometimes. There are other options..but in general reactive play on the grab is always better than hard read unless you hard read with something a lot stronger than grab..like dair, fair, fsmash tipper

oh and on stages with good chaingrabs, i still don't think hard reading the grab is good..then you just lose control if they techroll..marth thrives on control and reactive play..especially if you make the opponent run out of space first
Yeah, I don't really feel like it's ever necessary for me to hard read as Marth, so that hasn't been a problem for me. Most of the ways I drop chain grabs are because of platforms interfering or because they tech in place. I have practiced enough that I can react almost perfectly to GUA and rolls, and tech rolls just seem really easy to react to, though I do sometimes flub the punishes. What do you like to do to punish tech rolls other than dash attack? I think I'll probably just keep working on getting my reaction skills down for tech in place, and then in combination with spacing my grab hopefully that will be consistent enough. Is there even any point in spacing grab vs. Fox, or does it out range Marth's grab?

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
meant to say knocked out of competition but whatever...

always make typos and never proofread. Sigh

does anyone know when apex is again? i want to make sure i catch the stream live
You could have just checked listings... geez Josh sometimes I wonder if you go on more than two threads on smashboards LOL.

Jan 11-13, why don't you go?!??!?!

Mahone

Smash Champion
The main problem I have with C is that waiting gives them more options because they may usually shine, but sometimes they will spotdodge shine and then I get ****ed up. I'd just rather not get into that whole guessing game. I can do it vs. DJ pretty easily because he still JCs slowly and I play him all the time, but I don't think I'd be able to get it vs. faster players that I'm not used to playing.
Ya, i didn't really know how to respond to your question because KP always does B AND C.... it feels like he is spaced out and waits, then if i spotdodge he goes in and grabs, and if i shine he just grabs it...

like you said, that works on DJ cuz hes not jcing the shine right away, but even though i can jc very quickly, i dont there... i believe that most falcos wont because they also need to confirm they got the hit on marth

like i said, if they do punish you for trying this than adapt, but that should be sufficient against most midlevel players

i really like doing a side-b right before landing as marth into a fastfall upair, i have only been playing nonsmashers so this situation comes up way more than it probably will in real matches, but its so fun and catches people off guard and leads to **** combos, the same thing applies to short hop fair into upair on characters like ganon, where they think they can shieldgrab you and then BAM, they get upaired into death

Beat!

Smash Master
... are you seriously questioning whether it's possible to react to - and grab - spacies' tech in place? If you're standing next to them as they do it then it's no different from Sheik's downthrow tech chase.

And you're putting an awful lot of words in my mouth. I never said you should "rely" on it (sometimes it's worth going for, sometimes not. Depends on positioning, mental state etc.) or that I expect Marths to "perfect tech chase" (you don't even need to tech chase anymore after getting the grab. Just upthrow or throw them off stage). All I said was that it's not bad. Because it isn't. It's a great option to have at your disposal and the only one of the options Bones listed that actually guarantees you'll hit them.

MT_

Smash Ace
I don't agree that "react faster" is legit advice for grabbing tech in place shine. If one could simply "react faster" and do that then you wouldn't even need to chain grab or use uthrow combos, you would just tech chase them forever without having to make any predictions. IDK, I can barely do a legit reaction-based tech chase against Falcon who has terrible techs and terrible wake up options, so I feel like telling someone to simply react faster to spacies' tech in place seems like bad advice. If you get the read/hard prediction though then that's a different story altogether.

:phone:

Top Bottom