• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
I see what your saying but sh doesn't necessarily just cover his landing. Like fair and upair (upair especially) can hit pretty close to the top of Foxes FH. So you get blown up when fox FH's over your sh aerials *only if you are expecting him to approach with sh*, cause your timing will be too early on the aerial and fox will go over and land on you while youre in lag. So if you are expecting him to FH or prepared for it then you can wait for him to start descending then swing

At least in my experience thats how it goes. Like I play against this tricky fox who will sh at me then DJ over me as im trying to stuff his sh approach, and it works bc Im prepared for the sh aerial so I swing too early

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Sweet thanks. So what I'm struggling with now is the part about "trying to be close to them when they FH". Not sure whether I should try to preemptively position myself or do it reactively? Like against some people I've been able to kinda predict when they might FH and move in under/closer to them as more of a prediction, but Im not sure to what degree thats even necessary. Was having a hard time doing it on reaction tho
Yeah you kinda get used to what they want to do and go from there. If they're not coming in much/you stopped them from doing so, then you know you can start pushing in more. In the beginning of a set/session then you would not want to do this without some conditioning or knowing your opponent first. This type of thing is an example of how to use data gained earlier and then apply it for reads later.

PP, when you say that you like to be kinda close to beat Fox's fh mixup, what can marth do at that spacing to beat it? The different options that I've seen/used to beat it were dashing under fox (I can't really explain this really well, but it seems to mess up his attack when he's drifting forward/expecting you to back up or stay in front of him) and fh fair/uair since you're close enough to hit him out of the air at that spacing.

The first option loses to fox drifting back with his fh, so I don't think marth could get around him from a closeish spacing, but that opens up marth fh attacking fox. Also if fox jumps to a platform then marth has to be able to fight that/not get too close to where shield drop becomes threatening, which could mean backing up some before trying to attack fox again.

The second one can whiff against dj, and that can get marth hit from platforms sometimes the way I see it right now.
SH punish his landing/grab his landing, move under him, and FH/DJ Fair are the main options I believe. SH hedges your bets more, move under bodies him going in place or going in, grabbing bodies him going in a lot if you position well, FH or reactionary DJ should beat him going higher if you're quick. If you worry about your reaction speed you may need to practice the situation more, or simply change your handling of the situation and let Fox get away more and then eventually read his escape to get a punish when he acts out of habit.

NovaTee

Smash Rookie
Hey PP! I saw these questions asked on another thread someone made awhile ago, but never saw any responses for it. I thought they were good questions and was wondering the same things. Here it is...
I can't seem to find a high level Marth main talking about platform combo game on BF, DL, and Yoshi's.

1.When should you start using up-airs versus up-tilts to platform tech chase?

2) Is the up-air that covers all tech options too difficult to perform in tournament consistently?

3) If so, how should you punish instead? On reaction? Waveland onto platform -> grab?

4) How often should you do waveland -> grab instead of other punishes? It feels extremely strong but maybe it relies on a tech read.

5) What are the %s for rising up air through the platform into tipper?

6) Other ways to end a stock besides tipper? I know, for example, if you up tilt fox on a side platform around 40% and he DIs off the stage you can full hop dair and end the stock.

7) And finally, the most important question (probably): has anyone ever compiled all this stuff or should I just watch a bunch of videos and learn it through trial and error?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
1. Real hard to answer. Sometimes Utilt is better if you can catch their slideoff DI with a certain hitbox, or you just want to launch earlier. Uair is better for coverage if the percent is right or they just tech more in the center of a platform and can't SDI off. Uair can also be better for setting up DJ land grabs for additional coverage, but that often requires higher percent.

2. No, practice. Learn percents and the nuances I just described.

3. I like mixing Utilt, Uair, Fsmash, Nair, and jumping on with grab or potentially another move. This can depend on things like stage and starting position and matchup in addition to other factors I mentioned.

4. If you do waveland grab without doing SH first to cover tech in place with Uair, then you'd either want to wait until higher percents to cover everything with waveland grab, or you have to read their roll, which is the more typical option right now. So you'd have to vary your proportion based on your opponent and conditioning.

5. If they hold down that doesn't work, and for most characters most of the time on most DIs that won't work if you're rising with Uair. I would just say don't bother unless you find an opponent won't hold down at certain times or holds in for Uair a lot around higher mid percents maybe.

6. Nair to tipper works on YS/low FoD platforms in certain situations when they hold down and sometimes other DIs. You could also late Uair and then tipper vs (Ken) combo their knocked down state. If you grab on the platform facing the edge, you could fthrow vs Uthrow mixup and if they DI out on Uthrow at many useful percents you can Dair it.

7. Maybe Kadano has something? He had some info on Uair tech chase on Fox(and maybe Falco) percents but idk if he did more. The Marth discord may also have some info. Perhaps Fox/Falco/Falcon discords would have info for their characters lol.

NovaTee

Smash Rookie
1. Real hard to answer. Sometimes Utilt is better if you can catch their slideoff DI with a certain hitbox, or you just want to launch earlier. Uair is better for coverage if the percent is right or they just tech more in the center of a platform and can't SDI off. Uair can also be better for setting up DJ land grabs for additional coverage, but that often requires higher percent.

2. No, practice. Learn percents and the nuances I just described.

3. I like mixing Utilt, Uair, Fsmash, Nair, and jumping on with grab or potentially another move. This can depend on things like stage and starting position and matchup in addition to other factors I mentioned.

4. If you do waveland grab without doing SH first to cover tech in place with Uair, then you'd either want to wait until higher percents to cover everything with waveland grab, or you have to read their roll, which is the more typical option right now. So you'd have to vary your proportion based on your opponent and conditioning.

5. If they hold down that doesn't work, and for most characters most of the time on most DIs that won't work if you're rising with Uair. I would just say don't bother unless you find an opponent won't hold down at certain times or holds in for Uair a lot around higher mid percents maybe.

6. Nair to tipper works on YS/low FoD platforms in certain situations when they hold down and sometimes other DIs. You could also late Uair and then tipper vs (Ken) combo their knocked down state. If you grab on the platform facing the edge, you could fthrow vs Uthrow mixup and if they DI out on Uthrow at many useful percents you can Dair it.

7. Maybe Kadano has something? He had some info on Uair tech chase on Fox(and maybe Falco) percents but idk if he did more. The Marth discord may also have some info. Perhaps Fox/Falco/Falcon discords would have info for their characters lol.
Gotcha. Thanks a ton PP! You're awesome. Keeping up with all these questions, and really putting time into answering them has got to be a lot of time and work, and I think you're awesome for it. Thanks for all you do, and thanks for your advice and tips.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
PP, what do you think of the SH nairs M2K and Zain does?
https://youtu.be/9VExSpS6tHQ?t=6m53s
https://youtu.be/ezjS7Pavv_Q?t=3h3m58s

From what I could tell, these nairs serve as a bait against backdashing and sort of covers FHing. It's also convenient if they run into the nairs too, so it can also be seen as option coverage. This especially seems like a staple in M2K's neutral.

However, I tried this in friendlies and felt like it only produced moderate results. Sometimes I would get called out on it somehow or maybe my nairs weren't far away enough or other mixups I'm not aware of. Overall, I kinda felt like my nairs were sort of a gimmicky bait and eventually I just stopped and just play my standard ground/air-to-air game that I think works fine for me atm. Obviously though, M2K and Zain has produced significant results, so I'd be open to understand and try this more.

Also regarding Falco lasers, I've been discussing with other people regarding the use of run-up shield to combat against lasers. Marth can run-up shield to attempt to PS, and if successful, Marth can probably grab Falco or something. If not, then Marth can WD back away similar to take laser. I see this as a default option to do if Falco's only option is to just laser, but I see some heavy flaws using run-up shield once I'm within nair range because standard shield pressure beats it. Although, perhaps stuff like PS and shield DI might help me get the grabs, so I'm still exploring more in that field. I see Zain use shield a lot in the Falco mu and he's beaten pretty much all the Falcos except Mango. Thoughts?

SunnySSBM

Smash Rookie
The Marth mirror is proving to be a difficult match up for me to formulate a game plan around. I'm trying to develop a game plan that facilitates grabbing my opponent since that will lead to my hardest punishes. I'm starting my thought process around starting at my threatening range (which I consider to be my running downtilt), and then dashing forward to jc grab my opponent. My opponent will most likely dash back to avoid the grab, and then grab me during my lag. From there, I began to create my rotation of options as I do with my other match ups.

I quickly ran into an issue determining a solid gameplan like I normally can. To beat the enemy Marth dashing back I will typically run in and aim a downtilt behind them once I see them dash back after I start dashing and enter run. I came up with 3 solid solutions to this downtilt immediately while considering what my opponent might do next after losing this interaction. I considered my opponent reacting to my dash forward with all of the following: blocking, jumping and nairing while fading away from me, dashing towards me and grabbing. I have faced players better than I am who respond with each of the answers I listed, and do so seemingly randomly. I cannot determine which answer to downtilt I'm going to see after winning with it. This is problematic because all 3 of these seem to require entirely different tactics to defeat. If my opponent blocks, I think I should just run forward and grab them after seeing it. If my opponent short hops and drifts away from me, I think I should dash forward and tipper fair them for jumping/drifting in a way that I can't grab them for. If my opponent dashes towards me and grabs, I think I should dash back and grab them for doing so. Since I've not been able to develop a consistent way to make downtilt work, I'm willing to abandon that component of my strategy in favor of just taking the space my opponent leaves behind when I dash forward without trying to attack them for moving away.

What should I be considering when I'm winning with downtilt if I'm generating mixed reactions like this? Am I overlooking something with this thought process? How do you specifically formulate a strategy for a match up from the ground up, and how do you create your own strategies such that your conditioning produces consistent responses from your opponent?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
PP, what do you think of the SH nairs M2K and Zain does?
https://youtu.be/9VExSpS6tHQ?t=6m53s
https://youtu.be/ezjS7Pavv_Q?t=3h3m58s

From what I could tell, these nairs serve as a bait against backdashing and sort of covers FHing. It's also convenient if they run into the nairs too, so it can also be seen as option coverage. This especially seems like a staple in M2K's neutral.

However, I tried this in friendlies and felt like it only produced moderate results. Sometimes I would get called out on it somehow or maybe my nairs weren't far away enough or other mixups I'm not aware of. Overall, I kinda felt like my nairs were sort of a gimmicky bait and eventually I just stopped and just play my standard ground/air-to-air game that I think works fine for me atm. Obviously though, M2K and Zain has produced significant results, so I'd be open to understand and try this more.

Also regarding Falco lasers, I've been discussing with other people regarding the use of run-up shield to combat against lasers. Marth can run-up shield to attempt to PS, and if successful, Marth can probably grab Falco or something. If not, then Marth can WD back away similar to take laser. I see this as a default option to do if Falco's only option is to just laser, but I see some heavy flaws using run-up shield once I'm within nair range because standard shield pressure beats it. Although, perhaps stuff like PS and shield DI might help me get the grabs, so I'm still exploring more in that field. I see Zain use shield a lot in the Falco mu and he's beaten pretty much all the Falcos except Mango. Thoughts?
I dislike that Nair that Zain did, but it's an okay occasional mixup when trying to get out of the corner since it beats some approaches and crouches. The M2K one is better since you're not drifting forward so much, but hitting the FH was kinda more about hitting when he was under a platform more than the Nair. His reward was good but had Fox DI'd down like many would there to FF or shine or CC then it would have failed to convert.

In general, I would recommend that players never use Nair. They're better off learning/growing the game without it unless using it during punishes.

Nair is easy to blow up because you get all of this time to see what Marth is doing. If you're drifting in then it's even easier to time a punish, but a Nair in place(esp if you dash in) isn't terribly hard to at minimum gain advantage on. Yes I can talk about advantages and how it does beat some things and is good sometimes, but like I said I think it's not a move worth spending time on for Marths. They can get better results focusing elsewhere.

The inherent confusion of run up shield makes me dislike it, as well as you not being able to convert off of many PS' if you're farther away to stay safe using this tactic. Now, if you could ZPS then run up shield would be pretty guaranteed with practice iirc and that would make this tactic much stronger. But as it stands I'd rather take guaranteed dash back/crouch PS or take laser strats or dash attacking under laser and doing such things to force Falco to change his laser timing and allowing you to push in anyway. Maybe if you practice run up PS and can get it like 85% of the time or more you could use it as a reliable strategy though. Otherwise you're putting yourself in uncertain situations and likely giving up stage space without really threatening to give Falco better positions.

The Marth mirror is proving to be a difficult match up for me to formulate a game plan around. I'm trying to develop a game plan that facilitates grabbing my opponent since that will lead to my hardest punishes. I'm starting my thought process around starting at my threatening range (which I consider to be my running downtilt), and then dashing forward to jc grab my opponent. My opponent will most likely dash back to avoid the grab, and then grab me during my lag. From there, I began to create my rotation of options as I do with my other match ups.

I quickly ran into an issue determining a solid gameplan like I normally can. To beat the enemy Marth dashing back I will typically run in and aim a downtilt behind them once I see them dash back after I start dashing and enter run. I came up with 3 solid solutions to this downtilt immediately while considering what my opponent might do next after losing this interaction. I considered my opponent reacting to my dash forward with all of the following: blocking, jumping and nairing while fading away from me, dashing towards me and grabbing. I have faced players better than I am who respond with each of the answers I listed, and do so seemingly randomly. I cannot determine which answer to downtilt I'm going to see after winning with it. This is problematic because all 3 of these seem to require entirely different tactics to defeat. If my opponent blocks, I think I should just run forward and grab them after seeing it. If my opponent short hops and drifts away from me, I think I should dash forward and tipper fair them for jumping/drifting in a way that I can't grab them for. If my opponent dashes towards me and grabs, I think I should dash back and grab them for doing so. Since I've not been able to develop a consistent way to make downtilt work, I'm willing to abandon that component of my strategy in favor of just taking the space my opponent leaves behind when I dash forward without trying to attack them for moving away.

What should I be considering when I'm winning with downtilt if I'm generating mixed reactions like this? Am I overlooking something with this thought process? How do you specifically formulate a strategy for a match up from the ground up, and how do you create your own strategies such that your conditioning produces consistent responses from your opponent?
Well, one thing you can do is push in some and then move back to observe what they do. This is what I call a "free read." That will help give you information for later. Also, you could just partly take stage and do something like run up Nair/Fair in place or shorten your Dtilt length with WD or just move forward and observe to take stage and also counter shield or move forward. As strong as grab is, we have to remember it is not bigger than his moves and so he will have to rotate tools some to open grab up more often. If you can get positioning then that helps with getting grabs or just Fair'ing them out of the air which is also a very strong punish.

Let me know if this is helpful.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
https://youtu.be/Nuax2KrJV5Q?t=22s - Regarding take laser jab/side-B, this is why that option leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Do you still believe that I should continue with this option and observe what my opponent does?

https://youtu.be/Nuax2KrJV5Q?t=29s - In the moment, I honest to god feel like I have no good options in this scenario when Squid retreats and approach lasers. Looking back though, I clearly had time to do something as my shield came out. Do you believe jab/jump would've been viable options?

https://youtu.be/Nuax2KrJV5Q?t=1m28s - Had Squid landed a shine there after the approaching laser, do you believe he should've won that interaction? Given that I had my shield up, again do you think I should've jump fair or something?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah I do. You could hold down and mash grab at that percent and you'd have gotten it on Falco I'm pretty sure. Maybe he could have buffered roll away? But you could have also just done more side B hits to get more damage and keep good pressure which I often like to do. Getting Falco out of lower percents helps with platform stuff more so I'm okay doing first three, sometimes four side B hits. Also worth noting is I would usually run up and hit a max spaced side B so the this type of grab wouldn't be likely, whereas in your case you Naired after Falco had already started rolling so you didn't have much choice if you confirmed/suspected a laser imo. Basically I think how the situation happened also tells us something about the tool.

Lol I understand that feeling. After laser 1, you could have primed ZPS, maybe DA'd him?, at least moved in some, or I guess dash back PS'd or gotten on the side platform/wavelanded off of it. After laser 2, you could have jabbed for sure. Jump? Maybe if you were pretty confident he'd come in or not laser right away. If he lasered forward slightly or dashed back then lasered in your life would've been harder though.

If you SDI'd the laser back maybe you could have jumped or something, but that's all a read at that point when Falco gets on top of you with laser like that. So yeah I think shine should've been used after walking slightly and won the situation(unless you SDI'd).

Sacredtwin11

Smash Apprentice
I've been watching PPU's stream and they talked a lot about varying lengths of WD. Mainly the concept was PPU practicing with SFAT and SFAT said everytime PPU dash backed he no longer felt pressured while if he simply wd'd back and faced towards him it was a lot scarier. PPU then mentioned how he could utilize dash forward -> short WD back instead to keep the pressure on. Thoughts on whether varying WD length is something marths should start practicing?

Also, druggedfox is coming to a tournament in my region and specifically coaching the whole time. When talking to a good player looking for advice, what kind of questions should I have ready so I don't waste this opportunity?

SunnySSBM

Smash Rookie
Well, one thing you can do is push in some and then move back to observe what they do. This is what I call a "free read." That will help give you information for later. Also, you could just partly take stage and do something like run up Nair/Fair in place or shorten your Dtilt length with WD or just move forward and observe to take stage and also counter shield or move forward. As strong as grab is, we have to remember it is not bigger than his moves and so he will have to rotate tools some to open grab up more often. If you can get positioning then that helps with getting grabs or just Fair'ing them out of the air which is also a very strong punish.

Let me know if this is helpful.
I feel like you definitely pointed me in the right direction with your response. Moving forward and observing in particular seems like the strategy that I will gravitate towards after my downtilt is being countered. By short dashing forward and observing after winning with my downtilt, I feel as if I put myself in the best position to punish my opponent's more common responses in the hardest way possible. Blocking and dashing forward and grabbing my movement forward are the two most common responses I'm getting. Additionally, it puts me in a great position if my opponent decides to fade away with a nair as well. Even if I don't have time to fair them for nairing if I'm too far away, I'm still cornering them. Giving myself time to watch my opponent by taking just a small bit of space up allows me to dash back grab their grabs, and grab them for blocking as well. This is going to take a lot of work to be able to do on reaction, but I'm feeling great about this tactic and am confident that I will improve at it. Thinking more about the options, I've also started to lean more towards the idea of nairing my opponent to beat their downtilt as well. I thought that because they have to be at a decently close range to punish the nair on reaction with their own fair, it allows me to fit a raw grab into my rotation which not only punishes harder than other options, but will force dash backs more frequently.

Here's my rotation of options as of now, beginning at my threat range:
1. Dash forward grab against my opponent; loses to his dash back
2. Downtilt my opponent for dashing away from me; loses to blocking, reactive dash forward grab, and fade away nair
3. Short dash forward and observe; loses to preemptive dash forward grab
4: Dash back preemptively; loses to downtilt
5: Fade away nair; loses to reactive sh fair after they move closer to me
6: Return to dash forward grab preemptively to beat their movement forward

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I've been watching PPU's stream and they talked a lot about varying lengths of WD. Mainly the concept was PPU practicing with SFAT and SFAT said everytime PPU dash backed he no longer felt pressured while if he simply wd'd back and faced towards him it was a lot scarier. PPU then mentioned how he could utilize dash forward -> short WD back instead to keep the pressure on. Thoughts on whether varying WD length is something marths should start practicing?

Also, druggedfox is coming to a tournament in my region and specifically coaching the whole time. When talking to a good player looking for advice, what kind of questions should I have ready so I don't waste this opportunity?
Marth's dash back is absolutely a weakness of his and I do highly recommend WD back more, as well as varying the WD lengths in general. Being able to threaten various spaces with a similar cue is quite good.

Having more specific questions is better than less specific. So if you ask "how do I beat Fox?" your question is much much worse than "how do I tech chase Fox at low percent(0-20~) from the middle of YS?" Outside of that, be aware of good followup questions that adjust things slightly or ask about different game elements(various punish or neutral themes) or perspectives of players that you may want them to address.

I feel like you definitely pointed me in the right direction with your response. Moving forward and observing in particular seems like the strategy that I will gravitate towards after my downtilt is being countered. By short dashing forward and observing after winning with my downtilt, I feel as if I put myself in the best position to punish my opponent's more common responses in the hardest way possible. Blocking and dashing forward and grabbing my movement forward are the two most common responses I'm getting. Additionally, it puts me in a great position if my opponent decides to fade away with a nair as well. Even if I don't have time to fair them for nairing if I'm too far away, I'm still cornering them. Giving myself time to watch my opponent by taking just a small bit of space up allows me to dash back grab their grabs, and grab them for blocking as well. This is going to take a lot of work to be able to do on reaction, but I'm feeling great about this tactic and am confident that I will improve at it. Thinking more about the options, I've also started to lean more towards the idea of nairing my opponent to beat their downtilt as well. I thought that because they have to be at a decently close range to punish the nair on reaction with their own fair, it allows me to fit a raw grab into my rotation which not only punishes harder than other options, but will force dash backs more frequently.

Here's my rotation of options as of now, beginning at my threat range:
1. Dash forward grab against my opponent; loses to his dash back
2. Downtilt my opponent for dashing away from me; loses to blocking, reactive dash forward grab, and fade away nair
3. Short dash forward and observe; loses to preemptive dash forward grab
4: Dash back preemptively; loses to downtilt
5: Fade away nair; loses to reactive sh fair after they move closer to me
6: Return to dash forward grab preemptively to beat their movement forward
Seems fine, if you run into any issues you can let me know if you can't solve it.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Some more questions regarding the Falco mu

https://clips.twitch.tv/SavagePopularMelonCharlietheUnicorn - is there anything I could do against that laser grab?

https://clips.twitch.tv/CoweringHealthyGarlicPanicBasket - here, I'm kinda confused what to do besides guessing when the Falco will approach laser. Answers besides the obvious (Z)PS?

https://clips.twitch.tv/GleamingBloodySowHotPokket - Is there much I can do against Falco that uses top platform and reposition for free?

https://clips.twitch.tv/AliveConsiderateAlbatrossM4xHeh - I'm honestly not sure what to do when Falco is above me. It seems like trying to challenge his dair with my aerials is a bad idea, so it seems like I can only really dash back grab which isn't totally reliable. Inputs?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I think just laser SDI away maybe?

If Falco waits like that, you can dash in and take laser then move back/jab or even get a little closer between lasers and dash attack if you really want to. Falco may be able to shoot faster if he doesn't move, but it gives you mobility advantage over him in a way. You could also just get on side platform if you wanted to choose a defensive option.

You tried to challenge by fading away Fair and then DJ'ing above him but not near enough to threaten. Instead you want to challenge more directly while staying safe, or sometimes just faking you'll attack without giving up good position. Attacking from the side platform shouldn't be preferred imo and you'd be better off taking pot shots from below him at this percent. If you do it at an angle for Bair/Fair then Falco likely won't be able to hit you and you'll encourage him to change positions. SH and sometimes DJ aerial mixed with SH and fall down mixed with 1-2 dashes before the SH is a deep enough mixup game here I find.

That last clip you just put yourself in a bunch of lag trying to swing furiously at him. Try to pick your spots a little more evenly when possible. Had you not done the first shield drop Uair when you did, you'd have maybe beaten/traded with his Dair. If you just didn't fall with anything though, you would've had more time to time Utilt on his Dair lag. Then you tried to Utilt again which didn't do you any favors necessarily. Then that final Bair you did might have traded at best with Dair. However, you should be mindful of his DJ and airdodge as well and not swung so quickly imo and just FH'd and watched, especially after pivoting out of your dash so you could Fair(which starts above Marth). Basically, work the mixup like I said before but adding in FH since Falco is higher this time and also change your pacing when you notice one way isn't working.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
"Instead you want to challenge more directly while staying safe...If you do it at an angle for Bair/Fair then Falco likely won't be able to hit you and you'll encourage him to change positions"
What exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean I should maintain center while threatening with SH fair/bair and mixup with 1-2 dashes? In the clip, you're saying if I were to commit with the DJ, I should've been closer to center and faired?

For your final advice, "However, you should be mindful of his DJ and airdodge as well and not swung so quickly imo and just FH'd and watched, especially after pivoting out of your dash so you could Fair(which starts above Marth," are you saying that I should have dashed FH, observe, then fair?

quixotic

Smash Apprentice
PP, I have a question about playing at close range vs fox. The situation I'm thinking of is fox double lasers(or full hops) and I do a foxtrot forwards to take space from fox. At this range I've been choosing to approach with rc dtilt or jump fair/dash nair, mixing up the timing. Or I will wait in this range and then approach.

I've found that this strategy loses 100% of the time to fox reacting to my movement forwards and then dashing forwards to overshoot if I keep dashing in that range. This option also keeps fox safe from my own approaches because he dashes through my dtilt/jump approach.

I guess my question is do I have to swing to cover this option from fox? I know zain will do retreating double fair here but I've been trying avoid jumping in place my whole melee career lol.

HolidayMaker

Smash Cadet
2 Questions for PP/Anyone?

What is the best way to punish Sheik for jumping? Rising fair is great but can't be done on reaction. Other characters are so much easier to DD grab because their aerials actually have lag and they don't have near instant moves that come out after the AC. Peach is the only thing like it but she's so much slower it's just immensely easier to swat her out of the air and make the floats less common/less calculated.

2. How do you like to pressure Falcon on the ledge/in the corner? He gets pretty deep on stage with some of his aerials/hax dashing but at the same time he doesn't have THAT much invincibility and the corner is extremely weak for him. Baiting moves->dash back punish is less awesome vs him in my experience, for obvious reasons.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
"Instead you want to challenge more directly while staying safe...If you do it at an angle for Bair/Fair then Falco likely won't be able to hit you and you'll encourage him to change positions"
What exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean I should maintain center while threatening with SH fair/bair and mixup with 1-2 dashes? In the clip, you're saying if I were to commit with the DJ, I should've been closer to center and faired?

For your final advice, "However, you should be mindful of his DJ and airdodge as well and not swung so quickly imo and just FH'd and watched, especially after pivoting out of your dash so you could Fair(which starts above Marth," are you saying that I should have dashed FH, observe, then fair?
Basically put Bair/Fair between yourself and Falco whenever you can, or at least threaten it. When you can you should stay more toward center, but in the clip where you started on the side that's harder to manage always. It would've helped if you pivoted after the dash to center to FH and then observed during it or DJ swung onto the top platform to punish airdodge or hit him if he DJ'd, etc. It takes some practice to get down right. If you're overly concerned with the complexity, then just focus on putting Fair/Bair between you and him and stay center when you can and do the 1-2 dashes and/or SH fake/DJ mixup.

Also I decided to go look at the Samus Ftilt thing a little last night and it looks like Marth's Dtilt outranges Samus Ftilt and slight walk Ftilt but a smallish margin, and her Dsmash by a larger margin.

PP, I have a question about playing at close range vs fox. The situation I'm thinking of is fox double lasers(or full hops) and I do a foxtrot forwards to take space from fox. At this range I've been choosing to approach with rc dtilt or jump fair/dash nair, mixing up the timing. Or I will wait in this range and then approach.

I've found that this strategy loses 100% of the time to fox reacting to my movement forwards and then dashing forwards to overshoot if I keep dashing in that range. This option also keeps fox safe from my own approaches because he dashes through my dtilt/jump approach.

I guess my question is do I have to swing to cover this option from fox? I know zain will do retreating double fair here but I've been trying avoid jumping in place my whole melee career lol.
Retreating isn't jumping in place though? Retreating helps you move in while you gain data/hit Fox for trying to do exactly what he does here and you stay safe.

You could also dash/WD under him if you wanted I guess lol. Then dash grab back into him, which works sometimes.

You could also just not stall out when you move in and instead go for a Dtilt/Fair/Fsmash right away so Fox doesn't get time to easily react to you coming kind of close to him.

You could also just WD back once you start to come in, and if you SH afterward the momentum will carry you backward and give you time to beat whatever big commitment Fox does, as well as give you a chance to hold down and also Dtilt any ground approaches before they happen.
2 Questions for PP/Anyone?

What is the best way to punish Sheik for jumping? Rising fair is great but can't be done on reaction. Other characters are so much easier to DD grab because their aerials actually have lag and they don't have near instant moves that come out after the AC. Peach is the only thing like it but she's so much slower it's just immensely easier to swat her out of the air and make the floats less common/less calculated.

2. How do you like to pressure Falcon on the ledge/in the corner? He gets pretty deep on stage with some of his aerials/hax dashing but at the same time he doesn't have THAT much invincibility and the corner is extremely weak for him. Baiting moves->dash back punish is less awesome vs him in my experience, for obvious reasons.
1. You could Ftilt her if you wanted. You might be fighting too far away to punish Sheik for her jump. If you play Sheik you'll notice she actually has a lot of hangtime in the air which makes Fair'ing her still possible if you're close enough. If you're not, then you don't punish her jump but you get closer and challenge her next action such as Ftilt or WD back, etc.

2. Fair is super great vs cornered Falcon since he has to jump and can't dash back vs you. If he's on the edge, you can just hold down outside of his edgehop Uair range and Dtilt many of his getups. He might get directly onto the lip of the stage then, and this is when you can start using Fair. You can play around with this as well once you have the basic conditioning down.

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
So druggedfox did a bunch of lessons at a tournament yesterday (same thing as what sacred twin was talking about I think) and I was watching some and he pointed out this situation and I was wondering your opinion on it.
https://clips.twitch.tv/FurryScrumptiousGoblinRaccAttack
https://clips.twitch.tv/ObliqueNastyPepperoniBuddhaBar
Basically he's saying "as falco just keep lasering marth in the corner and force him make the plays" and showing how hard falco can make it to approach. This is gonna be relevant to me also cause I play the guy he's teaching in tournament almost every week and my main practice partner has started doing this more and more. So I'm wondering what options should I be using to counter falcos who force me to make the plays/approach. One thing I've been doing is crouch PS, which is definitely good but sometimes it feels like it my only option if falcos force me to approach, and I don't wanna rely on it too heavily. The other thing I was using was run up shield, but now the guy I play with has gotten good at just laser shining or ftilt when I try to do that so it makes the approach pretty unsafe.

Dfox was also showing how most falcos dont laser as fast as they could and it honestly looked so intimidating how little time he left between his lasers. Like I'm genuinely nervous if this guy he was teaching starts lasering that fast I'm not gonna be able to move next time we play in tournament

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
ZPS is consistent, and dash back PS is more consistent than crouch in some cases. You can also DA under lasers, either the first or second probably. If you learn run up PS if he's middle height lasering a lot that is strongest, and also made easier with ZPS. Additionally, you can just run up after one laser and then be in range to jab or dash back if he wants to attack, or you can just run up side B if you're a bit closer and disrupt his rhythm and gain an advantage. If you're wanting even more stuff to do for some reason, you could mix the DA/WD Dtilt type stuff with SH'ing over lasers since Falco has to shoot pretty low to cover Marth's dash/crouch/DA and has to shoot mid/high to cover SH(especially if Marth Nairs early), not to mention taking time to observe this and the frame differences of shooting lower vs higher as well as how much Falcos practice their heights(they don't) which will also detract from having frame-tight lasers.

One other thing: If Falco does this, he gives up some mixup/movement potential to just slow you down. This gives you a guaranteed mobility advantage over him to move between his lasers, which can defeat the purpose of lasers if overused I believe.

So yes, while it is strong, it is far from unbeatable.

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
I'll have to look into ZPS more. When I tried it before it seemed really difficult but I probably just needed to practice more. Is ZPS something you were able to learn before you took a break?

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
I'm in the process of learning ZPS and can give some of my insights on the mechanics and applications; feel free to point out any misinfo I may have since it's a fairly new process for me too.

You have to hold A and the Z + trigger button (digital press) at the same time to get the larger window since you need the guard thingy mechanic from the DP and the light shield makes the window larger. What I do to make this easier for myself is to do the trigger mod trick where I reset my controller holding down one of the trigger buttons that I never light shield with so I don't have to worry about pressing the analog press when PS in general. So far, my biggest struggle is just simply pressing Z and the the trigger button at the same time rather than the timing of it, but I suspect that it'll get better over time.

Applications I can think is hold A before match starts so Falco doesn't get a free laser, during WD hold A to set up, and as a take laser when suspecting the Falco will do another laser. A friend of mine suggests that he sets it up while the lag of his moves, but idk it sounds kinda exploitable to me.

quixotic

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice about fighting close up, I think that cleared up a lot of stuff in my head.

How can marth take advantage of puff retreating bair?

https://youtu.be/Mg0v2eyacoo?t=3m27s

In this clip you start in puff's range so you can dash back->nair her, and I've seen you get hit by bair and do this same setup.
I'm not sure what I can do if I'm dash dancing at a further distance and puff does the retreating bair.

Also if I'm trying to crossup sheik/fox dashing at me to overshoot and they catch on and start doing dash->wd back, is there a way to call out this option?

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm in the process of learning ZPS and can give some of my insights on the mechanics and applications; feel free to point out any misinfo I may have since it's a fairly new process for me too.

You have to hold A and the Z + trigger button (digital press) at the same time to get the larger window since you need the guard thingy mechanic from the DP and the light shield makes the window larger. What I do to make this easier for myself is to do the trigger mod trick where I reset my controller holding down one of the trigger buttons that I never light shield with so I don't have to worry about pressing the analog press when PS in general. So far, my biggest struggle is just simply pressing Z and the the trigger button at the same time rather than the timing of it, but I suspect that it'll get better over time.

Applications I can think is hold A before match starts so Falco doesn't get a free laser, during WD hold A to set up, and as a take laser when suspecting the Falco will do another laser. A friend of mine suggests that he sets it up while the lag of his moves, but idk it sounds kinda exploitable to me.
Oh yeah I didn't think about the PS plug in trick. I'll write that down.

Thanks for the advice about fighting close up, I think that cleared up a lot of stuff in my head.

How can marth take advantage of puff retreating bair?

https://youtu.be/Mg0v2eyacoo?t=3m27s

In this clip you start in puff's range so you can dash back->nair her, and I've seen you get hit by bair and do this same setup.
I'm not sure what I can do if I'm dash dancing at a further distance and puff does the retreating bair.

Also if I'm trying to crossup sheik/fox dashing at me to overshoot and they catch on and start doing dash->wd back, is there a way to call out this option?
Nice.

You can't hit her unless you're really close like that. If she's farther, you play for position/play to beat her next option.

Run forward retreating Fair(s)/Nair keeps you safe from both pretty reliably iirc. You could also run up WD down kind of near their initial position since you'd be past them if they went past you but decently in front of them if they WD'd back I guess?

You could also just get kind of close(but not close enough to hit if they didn't come in) and Dtilt and that would cover most approaches. Sometimes my Dtilt will beat Fox's aerials(sad and funny) and sometimes it can catch Fox before he wants to jump if you hit the farthest tipper. Sometimes similar things can happen vs Sheik. Fair in place can do some of what Dtilt can't in this scenario but also overlap with some of it(and slight drift back can also accommodate for some weaknesses and holding down or shield).

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Hello PPMD! I was wondering if you could give me an overview of your gameplan against Captain Falcon in the neutral game as Marth? Are there any general rules you follow against him? Thank you for the response in advance :D

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Marth Falcon is very extreme less is more imo. Jumping against him should also only be done when you're very close or at TR(aka very far) or when Falcon is cornered. His dash back will blow you up too hard otherwise unless you have a good read. You get these reads with Dtilt so you can force Falcon to jump more and not wait, but you shouldn't need to do this much since Falcon already jumps a decent amount. Trying to stuff Falcon's longer-reaching Nair/knee approaches with pivot grab/Fair is great because then you can get closer to Falcon and force him to aerial in place/dash back vs your approach which will let you come in and either Fair an aerial or take space/Dtilt a dash back. You don't need to grab shielding Falcon.

AirFair

Marth tho
So I have been thinking about peach lately since a tournament I went to this weekend ended, and I had an idea about neutral.

I have been thinking about how I could be playing neutral better vs peach, in a way that is not excessive with movement. This means mainly sticking to a string like dash back run dtilt, and using wd back to gain information (still working on adjustment and application but I feel like I've reduced a lot of excess that used to be there). However using long dash forward/run vs peach doesn't seem to be very helpful, and I've been thinking on how I see marths play vs peach.

What I have been seeing a lot of is very short/quick dashes around TR, which is close to wd dtilt range from what I can recall. When I try and use long, slower dashes for dtilt, I will get reactions, but I also can get hit pretty often by dash attack, which seems like it's seemingly unreactable when you're up close to peach. Because of this, I have been thinking that using a faster tempo/shorter dashes is more useful when playing against peach in particular since you move quickly in and out of dash attack range and use shorter dashes to see whether or not peach attacks without really sticking out too far, like you are moving back preemptively to gain that info. I feel like this could get excessive though, since it's not as easy to adjust with shorter dashes since there is less time to observe, but I feel like if I added some stalling I could make it a lot more effective while still being able to stay close to peach.

Another thing that I wasn't always able to cover was peach dashing back and pulling a turnip, most likely a response to my dash away, but I think that the adjustment i needed to make there was to add a wd dtilt to my dash forward so that I could reach her quickly, as well as staying closer in general since I began the string by dashing maybe too far away. The main thing I had trouble with with though was the dash attacks, which is why I'm thinking the shorter dashes seem more effective in shifting my space to where I can beat out dash attack as well as push in when I feel it's necessary. Is there a way to keep this from being too excessive?

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
In addition to AirFair's question regarding the WD d-tilt thing, I feel like one of my fears is over-DD and letting Peach pull turnip, but at the same time I don't want to get blown up by DA. Do you observe and react the Peach if she pulls the turnip, as a cue to WD d-tilt or something?

When edgeguarding and cornering Peach, I have issues with both. I find that if she is below stage and has access to both float and DJ, it's pretty much impossible to edgeguard her I find. I think the best I could do is bait out airdodge by fake DJ dair or something, but it's little reward. Additionally, I let Peach get away with DA when she's recovering from the ledge option. I discussed this with someone and he said that I should cover all of Peach's get-up options by reaction since she has so little, like d-tilt her regular get-up, grab her roll/get-up attack, and aerial/f-smash tournament winner or float airdodge. While I'm practicing those reactions, do those sound good?

Also, what are your preferred stage choices in the Falco mu and why? I used to like YS but I've been getting blown up by that stage with the little room and all. I guess I'm forced to use FoD as my CP, but I'd like to hear your inputs like PS and BF.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
So I have been thinking about peach lately since a tournament I went to this weekend ended, and I had an idea about neutral.

I have been thinking about how I could be playing neutral better vs peach, in a way that is not excessive with movement. This means mainly sticking to a string like dash back run dtilt, and using wd back to gain information (still working on adjustment and application but I feel like I've reduced a lot of excess that used to be there). However using long dash forward/run vs peach doesn't seem to be very helpful, and I've been thinking on how I see marths play vs peach.

What I have been seeing a lot of is very short/quick dashes around TR, which is close to wd dtilt range from what I can recall. When I try and use long, slower dashes for dtilt, I will get reactions, but I also can get hit pretty often by dash attack, which seems like it's seemingly unreactable when you're up close to peach. Because of this, I have been thinking that using a faster tempo/shorter dashes is more useful when playing against peach in particular since you move quickly in and out of dash attack range and use shorter dashes to see whether or not peach attacks without really sticking out too far, like you are moving back preemptively to gain that info. I feel like this could get excessive though, since it's not as easy to adjust with shorter dashes since there is less time to observe, but I feel like if I added some stalling I could make it a lot more effective while still being able to stay close to peach.

Another thing that I wasn't always able to cover was peach dashing back and pulling a turnip, most likely a response to my dash away, but I think that the adjustment i needed to make there was to add a wd dtilt to my dash forward so that I could reach her quickly, as well as staying closer in general since I began the string by dashing maybe too far away. The main thing I had trouble with with though was the dash attacks, which is why I'm thinking the shorter dashes seem more effective in shifting my space to where I can beat out dash attack as well as push in when I feel it's necessary. Is there a way to keep this from being too excessive?
If you long dash away, your hurtbox will stay contorted and she'll have a harder time hitting you.

Beyond that, you can short dash if you want, but you still need to punctuate them pretty often with action. Otherwise you will go back to excessive movement.

You may be getting called on your Dtilt movement in, and may need to fake a long dash/WD in(can shorten WD distance or WD from farther away as mixup). You can also do the run up retreating Fair or run up SH in place/slight drift back to cover DA if you want.

If you stick around TR too long, then yeah Peach will get to pull turnips. It's like Sheik where you want to discourage DA and then you can fight closer to her and really hit her/force her to shield if she pulls a turnip. So you probably want to discourage DA first using what I said/some other conditioning you find suitable.

In addition to AirFair's question regarding the WD d-tilt thing, I feel like one of my fears is over-DD and letting Peach pull turnip, but at the same time I don't want to get blown up by DA. Do you observe and react the Peach if she pulls the turnip, as a cue to WD d-tilt or something?

When edgeguarding and cornering Peach, I have issues with both. I find that if she is below stage and has access to both float and DJ, it's pretty much impossible to edgeguard her I find. I think the best I could do is bait out airdodge by fake DJ dair or something, but it's little reward. Additionally, I let Peach get away with DA when she's recovering from the ledge option. I discussed this with someone and he said that I should cover all of Peach's get-up options by reaction since she has so little, like d-tilt her regular get-up, grab her roll/get-up attack, and aerial/f-smash tournament winner or float airdodge. While I'm practicing those reactions, do those sound good?

Also, what are your preferred stage choices in the Falco mu and why? I used to like YS but I've been getting blown up by that stage with the little room and all. I guess I'm forced to use FoD as my CP, but I'd like to hear your inputs like PS and BF.
Peach often long dashes/WDs/runs back before pulling a turnip, so that's a useful cue to me. Turnip pull being long also is pretty helpful though.

Just watch M2K for the edge stuff he simplifies it a lot. Especially if Peach is on the edge, he just crouches just out of her GUA range and then Dtilts or Fairs or turnaround grabs as needed.

BF I actually think is a winning Marth stage vs spacies. The high top platform and the length of the side platforms means spacies can't easily attack you from the top platform which is nice. You also have decent room to move. Also them not being able to recover easily is super nice as it makes gimps easier as well as mid percent edgeguards that can be more difficult. The side platforms being low enough to still work the Uthrow tech chases mixup of Uair/Utilt/Fsmash/DJ grab(or whatever) is nice as well, plus you have a longer bottom platform to tech chase on if you need to build percent, meaning they can't slide off so easily.

PS I personally like vs Falco(idk if it's a winning stage) and am unsure about vs Fox but like it alright. The transformations suck super hard against Fox though so I'd recommend camping those out when possible(especially rock and fire, but mostly rock...I've planked rock out in friendlies plenty of times lol). Having plenty of room to move and also the small platforms to be under to avoid Fox FH approaches in the neutral PS is nice. Vs Falco it's just nice to get an extra chance or two to back up to counter lasers if you need it, but of course Falco can do some of the same.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Sure, but in your example you were either in grab lag or you were extremely far away. I would suggest dashing less and instead either positioning to Dtilt/Fair his landing Bair or Dtilt'ing his run in after landing. If he's going to continue to FH, then you can move closer to FH Fair him out of the air or to attack/pressure his landing or to force a DJ(which can be covered by DJ Fair instead of FH).

quixotic

Smash Apprentice
Do you think shield stop or wd down would be good to position vs landing bair? Or maybe a short hop to where I think he'll land?

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Those can both work. You can also scout for things. So many Foxes won't DJ if you're farther away but might if they're scared you'll hit them if you're closer or you're moving in. They might also drift in if you're just in range for drift in. You want to be thinking of what they're thinking and how to gather the data and manipulate them. So while I think any of these types of punishes can be good, you want to also make sure you know how to get yourself in position to use it. As you said, it's impossible to cover everything and Fox has a big FH range, so you need to narrow down the possibilities.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Hey PP. I've suffered an absolute low that I can think of throughout my playing career, losing to someone that's considered worse than me with a low tier.

I suffered a similar experience back then, but it was when I was a significantly worse player, so that was enough of an excuse to me that I can just move on and improve some more. This time, it's so much worse because of the burden of being ranked and again, losing to a low tier.

I just felt extremely sad that I did so many bad things in such a fashion. Not only that, but I can guarantee that it's something etched in my record and forever there that people can reference. Tbh, I'm not too concerned about the aftermath part. It's a humbling experience to have. But it's my feelings after the loss that's tearing me up inside. I tried practicing non-judgmental thinking about the situation, but my emotions overtook me and couldn't help feeling even more sad. I don't know how to resolve this mentally, so I think I will take a short break, but I do want learn how to confront my feelings about my loss. I've shaken off heart-breaking losses before, but this is certainly the longest I've felt feeling sad after a loss. How would you deal with it?

Arakune

Smash Rookie
Hiya PPMD, had some questions about Falcon because lately I've wanted to put my head through a wall after realizing it's easily my worst matchup in the game, and coming to the realization that I'm pretty confident Falcon is better against Marth than Sheik and maybe even puff. I have issues with every aspect of the matchup, and while I've sought solutions and even added entirely new tech to my gameplay specifically to deal with parts of the matchup I struggle with, my results have been the same, I would even say they've been slightly worse in some cases. I need to know if I'm overcomplicating things, if I'm simply utilizing tech improperly, etc. I have so many questions I'm not even really sure where to start, so I'll just start listing crap in no particular order.

1. WTF do I do in neutral: So falcon has an excellent dashdance, an excellent CC, and incredible grab punishes on marth. Marth's fair is weak against him up to an absurdly high percent even you can catch him in the air since you're likely to trade (though not AS bad if you do backwards shorthop and maintain backwards drift the whole time) Dtilt is an alright tool but never leads to anything meaningful in my experience since he can do a full di toward sh stomp and absolutely destroy you at any percent from like 40-100%. Hitbox on that move is insane and the punishes off it are worse. My question in this section is what should be my goal in neutral, what moves should I be prioritizing? The typical rule is DD whiff punish/cc grab a lot, use retreating and walling nair/fair, mixing up early double fair and late delayed fair, use overshot dtilt and run up crouch fsmash to punish people who dash back too much, and use nair in place to catch people coming in. This is all well and good, but I don't feel like any of these options are particularly good universally against falcon, and he has excellent answers to all of them. What should I be looking for in the falcon's play to determine what moves I should use more or less?

2. Dealing with overshot aerials, especially nair: So overshot nair is good for a million reasons, ignoring the fact that he can cover some entire stages with it in one shorthop or the fact if not CC'd it'll true combo into knee, which will either kill you outright or set up for an invincible ledgestall stomp > knee/reverse knee at stupid early percentages. After doing some research of my own I learned that using ASDI down in your dash dance is good against nair because it won't knock you up, and i now do this in all matchups, but it still leaves me with problems I don't have answers to. For example, it knocks you down instead of knocking you into the air for a combo, which is better and you won't die if you're on the stage, but it still puts you in a tech chase scenario and doesn't allow you to punish him, the way a true CC will. (though i suppose you could amsah tech it if you were super ready for it? Still doesn't net a punish though.) It also doesn't work nearly as well in the corner, since you end up sliding off the stage and again not really being able to do much. Is there some better grounded neutral option here? is traditional CC better? Moving onto other options for dealing with it, like catching him out of the air or antiairing him, marth doesn't have great choices. Utilt is laggy and unreliable to catch him with because falcon's nair is so fast, fair trades and has a small window that can be punished on reaction, on top of not leading to much if you fade back. I was told by the best falcon in my scene that marth's nair "beats" falcons and that it's a good answer, and while it works sometimes, falcon is simply too fast for you to react with it, so you have to "guess" the timing he'll come in with. Unreliable to say the least. To make matters worse, if the timing is off at all, Falcon's nair will straight up win, or will trade with the first hit of marth nair which is never a position you wanna be in. Are there any better choices? Or maybe one of the above i should be leaning on more?

3. Edgeguarding high recovery: Self explanatory really, a lot of times marth can do ladder combos with upairs uptilts and fairs that end on platforms, but against falcon in particular i find a lot of the time you can't reliably tipper him or ken combo him, this results in you ending the combo with a bair, fair, or nair somewhere in the middle of the stage, where he can easily recover with an early up B and the drift is extremely hard to react to. Obviously I know basic rules like fading into the stage to dissuade him from full DIing in, then when he drifts back you simply walk to the edge and fsmash or fair > fsmash, but in general I find you need some kind of read to keep him out. His fastfall is also SO fast that timing it in the first place is kind of difficult, even if he goes where you think he will. Any tips?

4. Edgeguarding sweetspot doublejump to ledge: I think i've gotten better about this one recently, but marth can't just dtilt/fair/whatever the ledge like he can in a lot of matchups because falcon techs and you get hugged. I asked gravy what to do in this scenario and he said if you have a read you can do runoff fair, runoff doublejump dair, or wd back off stage > fair > up b > dair. All of these sound good, I just wanted to get your take and hear if you thought anything was better, cause there's nothing more frustrating than a falcon at 160 who keeps making it back with his doublejump after you fair or dtilt him off.

5. Surviving these ****ING combos and edgeguards: This is really my biggest problem with the matchup by far. Let's say that i miss a reaction or that I lose a mixup and I get upaired, naired, stomped, grabbed, raptor boosted or whatever and I'm in the air. I find it ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to determine what aerial he'll go for, and it feels like it doesn't even matter what he chooses. If you DI in, you're never close enough to the stage anyway to make it back with an airdodge and/or you just get kneed or upaired again after you DI in and die right then and there. If you DI out, it almost always sets up for an edgeguard. I've tried SDIing out, SDIing up and in, SDIing only in, in the hopes he'll knee right away, and I get nothing. When I get naired into knee and die at 30%, or raptor boost knee and die at 60%, or I get backaired and DI it out because if I di it in it'll connect to knee, but then he sets up an edgeguard and stomp reverse knees me anyway and I'm functionally dead regardless, I wanna tear my hair out. Is there some way to amsah tech the stomp knee? is there some way to tech the reverse knee from ledge? Is there any way I can reliably SDI to get out of his weak knee > knee or upair > upair or bair > knee or upair > knee combos without being dead at 40-70%? Any help you have in this section would mean a ton to me.

6. Comboing falcon: So people say marth combos the christ out of falcon and this is true in SOME circumstances, but not all. I find that sometimes if you tipper fair falcon (the one that pops him upwards) at any range from 40-80%, he reaches the platform too quickly and can tech in place and get shield up before you can upair him, unlike spacies/sheik. Additionally, if you ever weak hit him it'll get cc > shield drop punished and you'll likely die right away, or worse, he'll slideoff DI. I've been slideoff DI > upair > kneed at as high as 120% before after hitting with a weak upair hit, and died at 20%. This **** is ridiculous. Is it better to just immediately whack him off stage and to try to deal with his high recovery using a read than it is to go for ladder combos on platforms into tippers? Also, what do you do off grabs? Tech chasing is alright, but marth is too slow to cover tech roll away (iirc) upthrow doesn't lead to anything on full DI away, so is the best option a shorthop > wait > doublejump upair when he jumps out? I'd really like any advice you have here too.

and uh yeah sorry for all the questions but i hate this matchup, love ya pp! <3

On an unrelated note, asking someone like you for the answers to the test and everything is a nice way of circumventing the long trial and error process of improvement, and having someone like you around as a resource is obviously very valuable, but it's not practical to ask you for help every time I'm confused about something like this. Gravy recommended I focus more on thinking constructively, that is thinking about options, situations, and solutions to problems outside of the game in an environment where i have tools to play around with and infinite time. Do you have any advice in regards to me having a short attention span, and really struggling to even remember scenarios I struggled with, or random ideas i come up with for dealing with situations, long enough to get home and start grinding them out on 20xx? And/or where to find the motivation to spend time and effort doing that when I could be netplaying or watching sets or doing analysis or whatever. This is probably the biggest weakness of my game rn.

Last edited:

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
Anyone in here have good tips for how to recover better? It feels like good foxes cover EVERYTHING. Like theyll cover me jumping to ledge then if I go low they regrab ledge or marth killer then just flowchart me to death if I go on stage and I die if I go to ledge. I've been feeling pretty lost and it def feels bad

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey PP. I've suffered an absolute low that I can think of throughout my playing career, losing to someone that's considered worse than me with a low tier.

I suffered a similar experience back then, but it was when I was a significantly worse player, so that was enough of an excuse to me that I can just move on and improve some more. This time, it's so much worse because of the burden of being ranked and again, losing to a low tier.

I just felt extremely sad that I did so many bad things in such a fashion. Not only that, but I can guarantee that it's something etched in my record and forever there that people can reference. Tbh, I'm not too concerned about the aftermath part. It's a humbling experience to have. But it's my feelings after the loss that's tearing me up inside. I tried practicing non-judgmental thinking about the situation, but my emotions overtook me and couldn't help feeling even more sad. I don't know how to resolve this mentally, so I think I will take a short break, but I do want learn how to confront my feelings about my loss. I've shaken off heart-breaking losses before, but this is certainly the longest I've felt feeling sad after a loss. How would you deal with it?
A good mental trick I've always used is thinking that a close friend of mine felt exactly what I'm feeling. What would I say then? It's much easier to have compassion then I find. Once I get into an honest dialogue with myself then it goes okay, so whatever trick I can use to get there is best. Maybe I'm actually thinking "I'm scared of what people will think of me. I'm scared I'm not really getting better. I'm scared I'm letting those who support me down. I'm scared of losing support and friendship if my skill is perceived as less. I'm scared of being alone." That last line could be something totally different but the point is it's a root feeling/thought that trigger all of these other things. If I can have an honest conversation then I will always get there and I can truly comfort myself. Meditation helps me get the focus and calm to get there, and exercise helps clear negativity to give me a fresh perspective. In game, I'd also want to make the most of this and view the entire thing as a learning experience. Was I complacent? Did I not know something? In the case of losing to a weak character, I'd want to learn everything I possibly could about that character and other weak ones to avoid unfamiliarity, and for weak players I'd want to tackle any possible disrespect I may have shown, or whatever other reason I may have for the loss such as their strategy.

Hiya PPMD, had some questions about Falcon because lately I've wanted to put my head through a wall after realizing it's easily my worst matchup in the game, and coming to the realization that I'm pretty confident Falcon is better against Marth than Sheik and maybe even puff. I have issues with every aspect of the matchup, and while I've sought solutions and even added entirely new tech to my gameplay specifically to deal with parts of the matchup I struggle with, my results have been the same, I would even say they've been slightly worse in some cases. I need to know if I'm overcomplicating things, if I'm simply utilizing tech improperly, etc. I have so many questions I'm not even really sure where to start, so I'll just start listing crap in no particular order.

1. WTF do I do in neutral: So falcon has an excellent dashdance, an excellent CC, and incredible grab punishes on marth. Marth's fair is weak against him up to an absurdly high percent even you can catch him in the air since you're likely to trade (though not AS bad if you do backwards shorthop and maintain backwards drift the whole time) Dtilt is an alright tool but never leads to anything meaningful in my experience since he can do a full di toward sh stomp and absolutely destroy you at any percent from like 40-100%. Hitbox on that move is insane and the punishes off it are worse. My question in this section is what should be my goal in neutral, what moves should I be prioritizing? The typical rule is DD whiff punish/cc grab a lot, use retreating and walling nair/fair, mixing up early double fair and late delayed fair, use overshot dtilt and run up crouch fsmash to punish people who dash back too much, and use nair in place to catch people coming in. This is all well and good, but I don't feel like any of these options are particularly good universally against falcon, and he has excellent answers to all of them. What should I be looking for in the falcon's play to determine what moves I should use more or less?

2. Dealing with overshot aerials, especially nair: So overshot nair is good for a million reasons, ignoring the fact that he can cover some entire stages with it in one shorthop or the fact if not CC'd it'll true combo into knee, which will either kill you outright or set up for an invincible ledgestall stomp > knee/reverse knee at stupid early percentages. After doing some research of my own I learned that using ASDI down in your dash dance is good against nair because it won't knock you up, and i now do this in all matchups, but it still leaves me with problems I don't have answers to. For example, it knocks you down instead of knocking you into the air for a combo, which is better and you won't die if you're on the stage, but it still puts you in a tech chase scenario and doesn't allow you to punish him, the way a true CC will. (though i suppose you could amsah tech it if you were super ready for it? Still doesn't net a punish though.) It also doesn't work nearly as well in the corner, since you end up sliding off the stage and again not really being able to do much. Is there some better grounded neutral option here? is traditional CC better? Moving onto other options for dealing with it, like catching him out of the air or antiairing him, marth doesn't have great choices. Utilt is laggy and unreliable to catch him with because falcon's nair is so fast, fair trades and has a small window that can be punished on reaction, on top of not leading to much if you fade back. I was told by the best falcon in my scene that marth's nair "beats" falcons and that it's a good answer, and while it works sometimes, falcon is simply too fast for you to react with it, so you have to "guess" the timing he'll come in with. Unreliable to say the least. To make matters worse, if the timing is off at all, Falcon's nair will straight up win, or will trade with the first hit of marth nair which is never a position you wanna be in. Are there any better choices? Or maybe one of the above i should be leaning on more?

3. Edgeguarding high recovery: Self explanatory really, a lot of times marth can do ladder combos with upairs uptilts and fairs that end on platforms, but against falcon in particular i find a lot of the time you can't reliably tipper him or ken combo him, this results in you ending the combo with a bair, fair, or nair somewhere in the middle of the stage, where he can easily recover with an early up B and the drift is extremely hard to react to. Obviously I know basic rules like fading into the stage to dissuade him from full DIing in, then when he drifts back you simply walk to the edge and fsmash or fair > fsmash, but in general I find you need some kind of read to keep him out. His fastfall is also SO fast that timing it in the first place is kind of difficult, even if he goes where you think he will. Any tips?

4. Edgeguarding sweetspot doublejump to ledge: I think i've gotten better about this one recently, but marth can't just dtilt/fair/whatever the ledge like he can in a lot of matchups because falcon techs and you get hugged. I asked gravy what to do in this scenario and he said if you have a read you can do runoff fair, runoff doublejump dair, or wd back off stage > fair > up b > dair. All of these sound good, I just wanted to get your take and hear if you thought anything was better, cause there's nothing more frustrating than a falcon at 160 who keeps making it back with his doublejump after you fair or dtilt him off.

5. Surviving these ****ING combos and edgeguards: This is really my biggest problem with the matchup by far. Let's say that i miss a reaction or that I lose a mixup and I get upaired, naired, stomped, grabbed, raptor boosted or whatever and I'm in the air. I find it ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to determine what aerial he'll go for, and it feels like it doesn't even matter what he chooses. If you DI in, you're never close enough to the stage anyway to make it back with an airdodge and/or you just get kneed or upaired again after you DI in and die right then and there. If you DI out, it almost always sets up for an edgeguard. I've tried SDIing out, SDIing up and in, SDIing only in, in the hopes he'll knee right away, and I get nothing. When I get naired into knee and die at 30%, or raptor boost knee and die at 60%, or I get backaired and DI it out because if I di it in it'll connect to knee, but then he sets up an edgeguard and stomp reverse knees me anyway and I'm functionally dead regardless, I wanna tear my hair out. Is there some way to amsah tech the stomp knee? is there some way to tech the reverse knee from ledge? Is there any way I can reliably SDI to get out of his weak knee > knee or upair > upair or bair > knee or upair > knee combos without being dead at 40-70%? Any help you have in this section would mean a ton to me.

6. Comboing falcon: So people say marth combos the christ out of falcon and this is true in SOME circumstances, but not all. I find that sometimes if you tipper fair falcon (the one that pops him upwards) at any range from 40-80%, he reaches the platform too quickly and can tech in place and get shield up before you can upair him, unlike spacies/sheik. Additionally, if you ever weak hit him it'll get cc > shield drop punished and you'll likely die right away, or worse, he'll slideoff DI. I've been slideoff DI > upair > kneed at as high as 120% before after hitting with a weak upair hit, and died at 20%. This **** is ridiculous. Is it better to just immediately whack him off stage and to try to deal with his high recovery using a read than it is to go for ladder combos on platforms into tippers? Also, what do you do off grabs? Tech chasing is alright, but marth is too slow to cover tech roll away (iirc) upthrow doesn't lead to anything on full DI away, so is the best option a shorthop > wait > doublejump upair when he jumps out? I'd really like any advice you have here too.

and uh yeah sorry for all the questions but i hate this matchup, love ya pp! <3

On an unrelated note, asking someone like you for the answers to the test and everything is a nice way of circumventing the long trial and error process of improvement, and having someone like you around as a resource is obviously very valuable, but it's not practical to ask you for help every time I'm confused about something like this. Gravy recommended I focus more on thinking constructively, that is thinking about options, situations, and solutions to problems outside of the game in an environment where i have tools to play around with and infinite time. Do you have any advice in regards to me having a short attention span, and really struggling to even remember scenarios I struggled with, or random ideas i come up with for dealing with situations, long enough to get home and start grinding them out on 20xx? And/or where to find the motivation to spend time and effort doing that when I could be netplaying or watching sets or doing analysis or whatever. This is probably the biggest weakness of my game rn.
1. I wrote a post to someone else about Falcon recently, but basically you need to cut down on attacks unless you're very close or very far(TR or father). Falcon will be doing the same usually. Dtilt is alright but shouldn't be used much since Falcon jumps a lot already and this is just to make sure he keeps jumping. Fair beats his Nair really well and his knee pretty well too(stomp as well if he's reading Dtilt of course). It doesn't beat his Bair so cleanly unless really well spaced I guess but if Falcon is Bair'ing a lot then you just wait and threaten his landing because that's not a good position for him. Fair is something you need to be REALLY close to use though because otherwise Falcon gets a dash back to punish. If he aerials when you come in then Fair is easy enough, but I find you can't know for sure. I like pushing in with dash/WD a little and staying there since Falcon often won't come forward much and doesn't intercept with grab or aerial pretty much ever. This puts a lot of pressure on Falcon and gives you easier reactions(especially Fair). If Falcon is cornered you can spam Fair, but otherwise never Fair first without a read/good reaction pretty much. The only thing you'd want to do first in terms of attacks is Dtilt but that's rare as I said. Otherwise push in and let him hang himself. If he does approach a lot, then you can Fair/pivot grab/CC grab him depending on what he does, but that doesn't seem as common for Falcons and if they do that's more exploitable(and not what you described anyway). Extreme less is more is key here.

2. Fair and pivot grab and side B first hit are what I recommend. Some Marths swear by first hit side B against Nair but I don't like it much. You can test it. If you're struggling with Fair then there is probably a fundamental spacing problem you have, or you're just doing too much needless movement so you can't observe when or how he's Nair'ing. The ASDI down/CC/pivot grabs are all good at different times in different ways. If you want to true CC more, then dash less so you can crouch. I think movement is vital in this matchup, but I'm recommending you cut down on excess movement, so maybe this will be useful for you.

3. Probably depends on various factors like how you sent him offstage, but I usually FH and float with him and stay between him and the stage. Then I Fair/Uair him just before he lands and can Ken Combo vs tipper vs multi Fair him offstage usually. If you don't like this, then you can give me a video example.

4. Some of those options I like more than others, but there's also WD to edge. If Falcon has to up-B then, you can just let go Fair him while invincible and knock him away with the reverse hit. If he's close to edge, you can just rise with Nair and drift into the stage so the second hit knocks him offstage.

5. Honestly, I do know some things that will help, but in this situation you kinda have to take it LOL. Like vs Uthrow you can DI slight behind and make it so he can only get a couple Uairs or whatever but you're still on the edge usually, or similarly with DI'ing Uairs out in other combo starting positions. Even if you do break out and you're high in the air, you'll probably use your DJ/side B and just get Uair'd again anyway lmao, so it's better to just get on the edge or land near the edge and go from there. It sucks pretty hard, but if you get good at the edge game then it's not too bad if you take less damage in a combo and can fight out from afterward. Moon vs None from Smash Factor shows pretty good DI on the Uairs I wanna say.

6. I don't know much about slideoffs and Falcon admittedly. This may vary on situation somewhat, but if you can learn to beat the high recovery then you could just play for that a lot. If you have some recorded situations you're struggling with, you could link them and I'm pretty sure I could figure something out quickly. Also at like 0-5/6% or something there isn't a good throw option so you can gimmick with Fthrow vs Dthrow or hope they don't do proper DI on one of those throws as a mixup game. I think past that(7%+ until useful uthrow percents anyway iirc) Fthrow is what I use and I can cover everything pretty reliably. Delayssb posted a Marth vs Falcon Uthrow chart a little while ago, and it may be on the Marth discord but if not you can search this thread for it and see what you like off of that. You could also Uthrow and just let him DJ then hit him at times where you're not sure of what to do.

In my opinion, most people have to WANT to do the extra stuff. Not like say they want to, but actually FEEL it in themselves to go and test things. This may be in the form of telling yourself "this will help me in life" or "if I don't do this then I'll suck forever" or whatever you need to say to do it. Besides convincing yourself of its importance, attention can be improved with meditation, exercise, good sleep, reduced internet exposure, and probably also good diet from my own experience and research I've seen, as well as what has helped others. Some/all of this will sound mundane, but unless you've tried all of it in various forms(such as different types or intensities or lengths of exercise) then I would argue it's hard to say it doesn't work. Of course there can be other solutions as well, but these seem tried and true to me. Motivation will also likely be solved if your mind has been made up and your body is healthier. Good luck.

Anyone in here have good tips for how to recover better? It feels like good foxes cover EVERYTHING. Like theyll cover me jumping to ledge then if I go low they regrab ledge or marth killer then just flowchart me to death if I go on stage and I die if I go to ledge. I've been feeling pretty lost and it def feels bad
Going low to up-B without using DJ/side B can help, as well as using more airdodge. I also find just playing with spacing vs when you DJ vs when you side B is pretty useful since Foxes in particular often wait for the side B to shine or something. DJ Fair vs airdodge vs edgegrab close to the edge can be good if you play around with it enough. Not sure what to say without more specifics but these things work for me as much as they can. Fox is dumb at edgeguarding Marth though lol.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Thanks for the advice. I really needed to hear this.

However, if I were to take this game seriously for years to come, this sort of experience will certainly not be the last by whatever causes that manifests it. It just...hurts to lose. A lot. I sometimes reminisce how much of a simpler life I would have without competition, and I'm not even close going down deeper towards the rabbit hole. I know you said earlier you have problems with me looking at my losses negatively and exercise non-judgmental thinking, which I think it's valid for many scenarios and growing as a competitor. But what about other losses when there's just so much in stake, like Armada losing Evo 2016? I can't even imagine the feelings he was suffering, and I think how we deal with losses are largely similar. I'm sort of afraid confronting with those feelings when the stakes are bigger moving forward. Would I still use the close friend compassion trick? I guess what I'm moreso asking is how can I make the greater pain of loss that I can't fathom last shorter, if possible.

Also regarding my loss, it also gave me a wake-up call. Not just to work on my low-tier matchup spread but also working on weaknesses of my other matchups that I've been putting off in favor of more friendlies and tourneys. Playing a lot certainly isn't as productive as I can be because my root problems of my gameplay is still there, so I must rectify my weaknesses in each matchup. In the future, I should also definitely put more thought into my friendlies than before. So in a way, I guess the loss helped me a bit. There's that.

Top Bottom