• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Olimar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I just picked up Pikmin 2 (finally), and it is awesome! Although, significantly more challenging than its predecessor...I've scarcely put it down since I got it.

Oh and, Ridley Ridley Olimar for Brawl!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i know. i get in the habit of getting a new game and playing it non-stop. pikmin 2 was like that, and unfortunetely i beat it in a week, so i couldn't savor it.

i wonder what'll happen in Pikmin 3...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Shoot...I don't know what to add productively; I just want this thread to come back.

Should Olimar have any melee attacks that don't involve Pikmin (punch, kick, etc.)? What should they be?

Vali

Smash Ace
I just realized why the size differences in Smash make sense! They are all trophies that come to life (according to the opening scene for the game). Since a Captain Olimar trophy wouldn't be 1cm, it makes perfect sense for Olimar to be sized similar to the other characters. This also explains the resizing for all of the other characters as well. =]
Give that man a medal, or a cookie, or a cookie medal or whatever.

I just picked up Pikmin 2 (finally), and it is awesome! Although, significantly more challenging than its predecessor...I've scarcely put it down since I got it.

Shoot...I don't know what to add productively; I just want this thread to come back.

Should Olimar have any melee attacks that don't involve Pikmin (punch, kick, etc.)? What should they be?
A lot of Pikmin fans (me included ;x) never got around to picking up Pikmin 2 until GC was kinda dead, but as Grim says it's still every bit as awesome. I'm just glad someone revived this thread, hadn't seen it for ages and after going on holiday I assumed it might've been dead (due to the fact there's been a lot of new post spam). For non-pikmin melee attacks you could reference my moveset which partially references game moves like the rocket punch (which coincidentally is Olimar's only attack). Apart from that though, it's pretty much generic moves with Olimar twists and some half-baked attempt at spaceman moves :laugh:.

Rocket punch seriously kicks arse though in Pikmin 2, you can kill tons of the normal enemies just by running around them with Louie + Olimar just 1,2,RPing them down. Some take quite a long time though :/. It'd be fun to see how far you could get in Pikmin without ever using them offensively (with the exceptions of the truly otherwise impossible bosses like everyone's favourite Man-at-Legs). Might have to try that some time over the summer.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion

To add to what Vali has already said, another move that Captain Olimar could have, is throwing bombrocks. Those familiar with the first Pikmin remember yellow pikmin could carry bombrocks. In Pikmin 2, this ability was removed and and instead yellow pikmin were immune to electricity. In the battle mode of Pikmin 2, on the stage Hostile Territory, Olimar was able to pick up bombrocks just by running into them. He could then activate then by setting them down and punching them, or by throwing them. (Sorry about the long explanation, I just wanted to make sure everyone understood why I was suggesting bombrocks.)

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Here is some things to discuss.

What are his chances of being an AT? (makes me feel dirty just saying it.)

If there was a pikmin AT, what could it be? Alien creatures from the game?

Your take on a stage for pikmin.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Chances of being an AT? I'd say at most 1/5. But, more likely it would be 1/20.

Pikmin AT = Louie. I like that better than the enemies one. I'm just not sure what you'd have...

Man, a Pikmin stage...I have thought about this, but I'm not sure. All I know is, it'd be nuts. It would likely be that the surroundings were really big so that it appeared your characters were small.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Chances of being an AT? I'd say at most 1/5. But, more likely it would be 1/20.

Pikmin AT = Louie. I like that better than the enemies one. I'm just not sure what you'd have...

Man, a Pikmin stage...I have thought about this, but I'm not sure. All I know is, it'd be nuts. It would likely be that the surroundings were really big so that it appeared your characters were small.
Brilliant stage idea! I'll post some ideas whenever I get them.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
thanks grim for bringing this back. i was planning to, but that would mean i'd have to double post.

yeah louie should be an AT. the stage...that one is hard cause of so many locales in both pikmin games. they should have something cool in the background, like Pikmin watching the match, then Bulborbs start trying to eat them, they attack, and then send them to the onion, then MORE pikmin watch you! but you could have the water spout as a stage hazard. it doesn't have to deal damage, but it can break and shoot you in the air, maybe to an upper platform?

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
louie could also be a good alternate costume for olimar, and speaking of which, what could some of olimar's alternate costumes be?

Vali

Smash Ace
I'd prefer different coloured lights on his head rather than an alt skin since Louie and Olimar are distinctly different characters (different proportions really) and I think that a Daisy/Peach skin sort of thing just wouldn't work too well. Other than that, the presidant of the company could work since he was also playable in Pikmin 2.

Stage? I'd just have a portion of the 2nd level from Pikmin 1 and add into the background stuff like Bulborbs with Pikmin occasionally running to attack them. What could then happen is stage events like Emporor Bulblax/Bulborbs/Burrowing Snagrets etc. could attack the stage at random points in time. Then again that's just to make it a bit more exciting and fun, I think a gorgeous backdrop (with said Pikmin attacks) and leafs to jump on, bombrocks etc, maybe even a breakable wall would do just fine.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I like colbusman's ideas for the background. That would be pretty awesome. They should also like attacks stuff and kill it to bring it back to onion and stuff. They'd probably do something cool with this, too, for including items like they did in Peach's Castle and Mushroom Kingdom 1. I'm thinking...Pill plants get knocked down by Pikmin, and an item appears from it. Either that, or the Pikmin carry them onto the stage.

I don't know that there is any particular stage from 1 or 2 that would really fit as a good stage. I think in general have something that either looks like The Forest of Hope from Pikmin 1 or Awakening Wood from Pikmin 2 with their forest like appearances and large vegetation/rocks. You should have different hazards across the stage for the different elements (not all of them necessarily have to cause harm): fire, water, poison, electricity, bombs, etc.

Oh!...I got a perfect dynamic feature for the stage. You know those annoying little flying bugs things that always destroyed your bridges? Well, you could have a bridge as part of the stage, and those guys would slowly peal it back so that there is gradually an opening, and the rolled up part is something you can also stand on. Later on, the Pikmin would repair the bridge and unfold it. Any other cool elements like this it could implement?

I also think it would be hilarious if the Pikmin occasionally suicided like by jumping into the water or fire or something...since they always seem to do that in the game. Then you could see their little souls rise up...

Pieman0920

Smash Master
La di da~

I made this for a diffrent board, but...

Neutral B: Captain Olimar throws a bomb rock forward. The bomb rock can damage a opponent it hits, and will not automatically explode. Instead it will explode after a set time limit, regardless of where it lands. The explosions are large, but the bomb rocks can be destroyed before that.

Forward B: Captain Olimar throws a random Pikmin up into the air, which arcs across the screen like a Yoshi egg. Instead of popping in mid air, they fall straight down and body slam. Some Pikmin cause more damage from this move, and it is completely random on what type comes out. (White < Yellow < Red = Blue < Purple)

Up B: Olimar creates a small space ship around him. The operation works like Kirby’s rocket in Kirby and the Magic Mirror. The rocket makes three short bursts which directions can be controlled. The ship will break apart though, and parts will fall out of the rocket as it goes.

Down B: Olimar picks up a random Pikmin from the ground, and throws it much like Peach’s turnip. Each Pikmin works in a different way though. (Red when thrown at a opponent, latch on an punch them a few times before falling off. Blue when thrown at the ground catch on fire, and run from side to side, spreading the fire before expiring. Yellow when latched onto the opponent, float the opponent upwards, leaving them open. White Pikmin explode into a poison cloud that can cause the percentage to go up. Purple Pikmin can’t be thrown far at all, but any opponent close will be pounded into the ground)

FS: Olimar sends a signal out, and several Pikmin drop from the sky, and a giant dead Bulborb falls down on top of them. The Pikmin the struggle out from under it, and all work together to throw it at Olimar’s opponent.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Not bad...but I'm not sure because I think he should use Pikmin for his A-moves, too. Maybe something a little more specialized with the Pikmin for his B-moves...

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
size: shorter than kirby(enough to run through some projectiles)
weight: smallest in game
strength: (medium less then mario though)
speed: medium (more then mario)
damage :consistent needs time to pluck pikmin though
reaction(attack speed after being attacked): around the same as luigi

Moveset
A-punch-seen in pikmin weak
Atilt side-rocket punch-seen in pik 2
Adowntilt-antennae sweep
Aup tilt-headbutt

Smash side-red slash- Olimar slashes with red pikmin(no need to pluck before)
Smash down- Whistle barrier-Olimar hits people with the whistle circle
Smash up-yellow stab-pokes up with yellow pik (same rules as red slash)

nair-leg split
fair-double punch
bair-backflip kick
uair-head up(same as ness)
dair-head down (same as pika)

Bdown-pikmin pluck-can pluck multiple times and pikmin follow in order they came out in
colors in frequent order is blue-yellow-white-red-purple
B-throw pikmin throw pikmin plucked in order they came out in
yellow is fast far and weak
blue is medium everything
white is weak but poisons enemy
red-is medium speed and range, strong
purple-strong, slow, smashes enemy down
Bsmash- Bitter spray (similiar to ice climb but stronger and only one way
Bup-blue throw (must have plucked blue pikmin(that's why it's most common) following you but doesn't need to be the next pikmin)- blue pikmin throws olimar -recovers like g and w's bup) can only used once like most bups

throws-don't know

final smash-spicy spray stampede

except for the smashes a pikmin can only be used once so pluck a lot and frequently
i say that 10-15 pikmin is max(except final smash)
and now i actually thought of throws
grab- olimar hugs much like mario
hit-olimar takes a pikmin out and start smacking (color changes damage)
forward throw- olimar flips the opponent then punches
back throw-olimar jumps and flip throws backward
up throw olimar throws the opponent like a pikmin (by the head)
down throw- olimar throws him down and pounds him with pikmin

so you like :grin:

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
So, I don't have any actual input, I just wanted to comment on how much this thread rocks. It just seems like so many suggestions involve just rehashing the same few games to death, whilest what I've read on this page has ben both new and original. Props. Granted, I only read the most recent page, so I guess there could be all kinds of stupid preceding it, but I'll take my chances and err on the side of complimenting (partially because I've been a bit of an *** lately). Keep up the good work.

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
I like the ideas for his possible moveset. Captain Olimar is one of my fav characters so I would really like to see him as a brawl character...

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Olimar is most wanted character for Brawl,and I think some of the monsters like the Beady Long Legs should be AT's. Also,these stage ideas are awesome!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I think Louie should be an AT.

Olimar's moveset should be just like the games: about 10-15% of his attacks would be physical (punch, kick, etc.), while the other 85-90% would be pikmin attacks. I like the idea of him using Pikmin a lot for his attacks because it would make him possibly the most unique character in the game.

A few pages back we discussed this, and I liked the idea: vB should be plucking Pikmin that would then follow him around in a Nana-like manner. Then, he would use those Pikmin for a lot of his A-moves, possibly all of them. In addition to that, he could possibly have his own (weaker) attacks if he had no Pikmin or simply perform a null attack which would do no damage.

Also, any feedback on my stage ideas??

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
I think Louie should be an AT.

Olimar's moveset should be just like the games: about 10-15% of his attacks would be physical (punch, kick, etc.), while the other 85-90% would be pikmin attacks. I like the idea of him using Pikmin a lot for his attacks because it would make him possibly the most unique character in the game.

A few pages back we discussed this, and I liked the idea: vB should be plucking Pikmin that would then follow him around in a Nana-like manner. Then, he would use those Pikmin for a lot of his A-moves, possibly all of them. In addition to that, he could possibly have his own (weaker) attacks if he had no Pikmin or simply perform a null attack which would do no damage.

Also, any feedback on my stage ideas??
I HAVE to use your bridge idea, its genuis!

The stage, has two main platforms, with a bridge connecting them. Every once and a while, male sheargrub eat the bridge, and then later, pikmin fix it.

The durable energy cell treasure (a battery) stick out of the ground pointing up at an angle at the edge. On the right platform, the top of the anti-hiccup fungus treasure (a mushroom) is a platform on it.

A bumbling snitchbug comes up on either side as a support platform. When it appears, it stays till someone hits it enough. Then it pops up on the other side.

What do you think?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
This thread drops like a stone in water because of all these crappy threads that keep popping up...

I'm a little confused on what you suggested for the stage layout. Could you maybe have a rough drawing of it or something?

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
This thread drops like a stone in water because of all these crappy threads that keep popping up...

I'm a little confused on what you suggested for the stage layout. Could you maybe have a rough drawing of it or something?
Well, I cant give you a drawling...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .---------
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...I
CAN . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .I
........--------------------- = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ====== --------------------- . . .. . . SN
. . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .l
. . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l
........l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l
. . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l
. . . . l . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . l

SN= snitch bug
CAN= can...
Equal Signs= bridge
- = the platforms

And the two eyes with platforms above it is the mushroom. Yeah, pathetic I know:(

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I looked up the little guys that destroy the bridge: Shearwig.

I like the idea of using the little items from the game as part of the level. I'm still not sure about the layout, though. The bridge looks too long, and there doesn't seem to be enough places to play. If the can/batter/whatever is at an angle it kinda becomes like Yoshi's Island in Melee, which I didn't really like, but maybe the problem there was the boxes above. They were too close to the ground. That stage was just too small in general.

Right now it's starting to look like that with the tilted terrain, and opening in the middle. If it wasn't as crowded as YI, it would be alright. I don't understand the point of the Bobbling Snitchbug either. Care to explain that? Perhaps it could carry a decent-sized platform around kind of like the carpet in MK2 in Melee. I think there needs to be at least one more platform, maybe.

I think the gate should be incorporated, too, somehow. I'm not sure how that would work. Or, you could have some tree growth on the stage, but there would be a hole through it that players could walk through. This would act a lot like the little left tower in Hyrule Castle 64. Those are my thoughts.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
I've never played Pikmin. Is it any good? Sorry, I guess this is kind of spam...

Anyway, I think Olimar can bring a lot to Brawl's table. Originality alone is enough of a reason to make him a PC.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
I looked up the little guys that destroy the bridge: Shearwig.

I like the idea of using the little items from the game as part of the level. I'm still not sure about the layout, though. The bridge looks too long, and there doesn't seem to be enough places to play. If the can/batter/whatever is at an angle it kinda becomes like Yoshi's Island in Melee, which I didn't really like, but maybe the problem there was the boxes above. They were too close to the ground. That stage was just too small in general.

Right now it's starting to look like that with the tilted terrain, and opening in the middle. If it wasn't as crowded as YI, it would be alright. I don't understand the point of the Bobbling Snitchbug either. Care to explain that? Perhaps it could carry a decent-sized platform around kind of like the carpet in MK2 in Melee. I think there needs to be at least one more platform, maybe.

I think the gate should be incorporated, too, somehow. I'm not sure how that would work. Or, you could have some tree growth on the stage, but there would be a hole through it that players could walk through. This would act a lot like the little left tower in Hyrule Castle 64. Those are my thoughts.

Ooops, i put can on the stage layout, and i put battery on the description xD

The SN is about as useful as the tingle platform in the zelda stage in melee. xD

You make a stage! I may edit that last one. xD

Heres a new one (too lazy to think up one with a wall) xD

The stage advances the three platform style, with some twists. xD

Well, theres three platforms, but instead of the normal, the one in the middle is higher then the two platforms on its sides, it will be inverted. The middle platform is close to the ground, while the ones on the sides, are higher.

Plus, a Red Bulorb sometimes trecks across the stage doing damage. *flips through the strategy guide* And a Puffy Blowhog pops up one of the sides and attempts to blow you away *flips through it again* Oh, and unmarked spectralids fly around and act like shy guys.

Maybe the blowhogs aren't needed but I kind of like it.

Master Tarot

Smash Rookie
I love the pikmin series, and I think Olimar would be a very unique character to brawl and should definitely be in.

Also, I've made up what could possibly be a part of Olimar's moveset is he happened to be in ssbb's roster:

B-Switch-This would switch you to louie, who has whole different b moves.
B side-Pick Red Pikmin-When this pikmin is thrown, those who come in contact with it will be burned, also, this pikmin gives the most damage in Olimar's moveset.

if you are close enough to the target and throw a pikmin, the pikmin will hold on to the enemy and bat it with their leaves.

Olimar can only have 5 (or maybe more) pikmin with him at once. When Olmar plucks another pikmin, the earliest plucked pikmin disapppears. Pikmin can also be defeated.

Also, when pikmin pass an enemy they hit him/her/it with their leaves.

B down-Pick Blue Pikmin-When thrown and then touches the ground, this pikmin will create a splash that can damages multiple enemies.
B up-Pick Yellow Pikmin-When thrown, it goes the highest of all the pikmin, and enemies that will come in contact with it will be electrocuted. If your in mid air when picking the yellow pikmin, you hold onto the stem for a while and go up with the Yellow a Pikmin.
A-Punch-When no pikmin are with you/Throw-You throw a pikmin when one is with you, instead of punching. If you immediatly press A the second you pick a pikmin, you can throw it while it's still in the air from being plucked.
I thought it would be cool if Olimar could switch between him and his partner
Louie's B moves
B-Switch
B side-Pick White Pikmin-When thrown, enemies who are damaged by these little fellows, they emit poison gas, and they recieve steady damage, and this poisoning wears off by moving around. These are the fastest pikmin.
B down-Pick Purple Pikmin- When thrown, these pikmin create a small shock wave that stuns surrounding enemies, and damage enemies they hit. They inflict the most damage.
B up-Ship Ride- Louie holds on to the ships detached top as it goes up. You can steer it where you want it to go as it flys up.
A-Same as Olimars.

But if Louie wasn't a character you could switch to... This is the partial, alternative moveset I made with no Louie.
B-Pick Red Pikmin
B side-Pick Yellow Pikmin-When you throw it, you don't hold on to the stem.
B down-Pick Blue Pikmin
B up-Ship Ride
A-Punch/Throw
A side-Strong Punch
A down- Low Kick
A Up-Headbutt
Smash Up-Pick White Pikmin
Smash Down-Pick Purple Pikmin
Smash Side-Rocket Punch

Olimar For Brawl!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
OK, I did a quick sketch up of some of our ideas for the stage and also improvised a little. Let me know what you think so far, and we can see what we think needs added. The background will be cool and animated with pikmin, enemies, etc. I left it blank for simplicity's sake.

I actually had the Pikmin on the wrong side based on how the bridge was curling up at first. I flipped that part of it, but I'm not sure if I like it curling up that direction now. What do you guys think?

Oh...and the swooping snitchbug flies around with the platform sort of like the carpet in MK2.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
OK, I did a quick sketch up of some of our ideas for the stage and also improvised a little. Let me know what you think so far, and we can see what we think needs added. The background will be cool and animated with pikmin, enemies, etc. I left it blank for simplicity's sake.

I actually had the Pikmin on the wrong side based on how the bridge was curling up. I flipped that part of it, but I'm not sure if I like it curling up that direction now. What do you guys think?
*Claps*, the same way i picture mine except the SN popped up on the sides, but that's probably better. What do you think of my other stage idea?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
*Claps*, the same way i picture mine except the SN popped up on the sides, but that's probably better. What do you think of my other stage idea?
The SN could also just appear like Tingle, but there would have to be at least one floating platform on the left-ish side. Probably not both, though, or it would get crowded. But, maybe not; I'm not sure.

I like the idea of including enemies that do damage and cause mayhem and stuff, but if you get too out of hand, it would interfere too much, and people won't play it. The key is to have interactivity that won't disrupt gameplay too much. This is why I think a stage like this one above has a better shot. It could be better, though. In any case...don't make it a walkoff like Yoshi's. I intentionally drew the sides in. That ledge under the battery could maybe be longer, too...

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
The SN could also just appear like Tingle, but there would have to be at least one floating platform on the left-ish side. Probably not both, though, or it would get crowded. But, maybe not; I'm not sure.

I like the idea of including enemies that do damage and cause mayhem and stuff, but if you get too out of hand, it would interfere too much, and people won't play it. The key is to have interactivity that won't disrupt gameplay too much. This is why I think a stage like this one above has a better shot. It could be better, though. In any case...don't make it a walkoff like Yoshi's. I intentionally drew the sides in. That ledge under the battery could maybe be longer, too...
Well, I'm no stage creating genuis, but its fun to make them, especially pikmin stages, Heres the layout of my second stage.

. . . . . . . . . . ---------------------- . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .------------------

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . -------------------- . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . BLOWHOG
. . . . . . . .BULBORB
. . . . . . . . -------------------------------------------------------------------------
. . . . . . . l . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .l

Of course, the bulborb and blowhog rarely appear. maybe one enemy should go, but pikmin is so large i have so many ideas, its hard to not fill a stage idea with'em.

Ya know, I'm suprised that this thread isn't filled with posts, he's my most favorite character for a reason....

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm not sure why people aren't excited about him. He's one of my most wanted characters. You watch, though, post-release and when all of the character-specific forums get made...you'll see tons of Olimar mains around here. Guarantee it.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
I just had an idea for a way to incorporate the gates from Pikmin. In the Background, random pikmin could be breaking down the gate, then when the gate goes down, the stage could move to a different area. Each different area could represent a different season, similar to the areas in pikmin 2. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom