• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Olimar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilderman2313

Smash Cadet
i really like pikmin but Olimar would be better off as a assist trophy. i cant really think of attacks for him.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
This thread seriously needs some more support! If only Captain Olimar's fanbase was as large as Ridley's....

i think it should be one stage, but have the pikmin element in the background or something. hey maybe they should have the landing site be a level. what about that?
I wouldn't mind the landing site being a stage. It was always one of my favorite areas to play. Something about it is very aesthetically pleasing.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think Olimar's pretty darn awesome, I just bought Pikmin (finally, 290 trophies!) and I'm having fun making pikmin run into the water and drown and the such.

The thing is, though, seems like Olimar would be a fairly annoying character to play against, if he can continually strengthen himself as long as he stays away from opponents to spawn more pikmin. Then again... it'd be pretty satisfying to knock 10 of the little dudes into an abyss at the same time. Heh.

Maybe he could pick up the pikmin as part of his smash attacks? Forward Smash, he picks one up from behind him and swings it forward. Up smash, grab one and when he plucks it out swing it upward, down he'd pluck it and swing it around quickly.

Final Smash, all of the onions fly by overhead and toss out tons of pikmin which he can use until they're all murdered. Heh, yeah, Olimar would be pretty fun to use.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
it's a possibility, but hopefully for us it doesn't happen. he has established himself in the nintendo all-stars, but hasn't reached high status yet. brawl could be the defining factor

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Why WOULD he be an Assist Trophy? Unless Sakurai and the developers are lazy, or just don't think Pikmin is as big as the other Nintendo games for some bizzare, strange reason, or if they forgot about him and added him as an assist trophy at the last minute.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
I'm pretty sure that they could make a very creative and different moveset for C. Olimar.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
What if Sakurai thinks it would be too much of a hastle to make a moveset for him. He would probably cause lag with all of the pikmin with him. He also can't really fight himself without them. He also would be the post difficult to program. What if Sakurai thinks he is simply too complex. The fact that there probably won't be an Animal Crossing character in the game due to Tom nook being part of smashville. What if he simply doesn't think Olimar is suitable?

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
What if Sakurai thinks it would be too much of a hastle to make a moveset for him.
^^colbusman covered that perfectly

He would probably cause lag with all of the pikmin with him. He also can't really fight himself without them.
It is quite possible that too many pikmin could cause lag, but it wouldn't be necessary to have too many pikmin. As other people have stated previously, Olimar may have a small group of pikmin. Somebody also suggested that maybe only one would follow him, and would be similar to Nana. Also for possible non-pikmin attacks, rocket punch and bombrocks!

He also would be the post difficult to program. What if Sakurai thinks he is simply too complex.
^^ colbusman's post covers this too.

The fact that there probably won't be an Animal Crossing character in the game due to Tom nook being part of smashville.
Resetti still has a decent chance, and though a lot of people will disagree, so do Tommy & Timmy. :)

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Why does every one think that making certain things in a game work would be to hard? Look at Bioshock and other completly crazy games.
ITS NIN-FREAKIN-TENDO!
We can make all kinds of crap, but when people think how a space man would fight, their imagination disappears. What is happening to this generations imagination?

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
Ok, Just in case anyone has any doubts about Olimar's Brawlability, i'm going to make a moveset just to prove that he could be an AWESOME character in smash. This is my first moveset, please have mercy on me.

Standard Attack (A): Olimar Punches forward, like his weak attack in the Pikmin games. Damage: 3-4% per punch. It would be about the same speed as mario's punches.

Standard Combo (A)-(A)-(A): Olimar punches twice, then headbutts the opponent with his helmet. Damage: 10-13%

Normal Special Move (B): Olimar plucks a pikmin (colors vary) out of the ground, and throws it at an opponent when he presses (A). The pikmin latch on to the opponent, and beat him up (kind of like the Lip's Stick). Purple pikmin have shorter range, but slow down your opponent as well. White pikmin only get one hit on your opponent, but do more damage (10%) because they are poisonous. Besides the white pikmin, all of the other pikmin can do up to 15% if they are left on long enough. All pikmin can be thrown off if the opponent is hit hard enough by another player.

Side Special Move (B -> or B <- ): Olimar plucks a red pikmin out of the ground and brandishes the pikmin like a sword or bat. Olimar then smacks the opponent with the pikmin in one strong downward stroke (could be a good edgeguarding move). The move is similar to Marth/Roy's (B) move, as it can be charged. Damage when charged: 25% maximum.

Up Special Move (B-Up): Olimar throws out a chain of all pikmin colors, and springs up the chain. Similar to the Ice Climbers' (B-Up) move, but it can be used on edges like Samus' grapple beam and Link's grappling hook. It gives Olimar good height, but doesn't do much damage to opponents. Damage: 5%, but decent knockback. Primarily used as a recovery.

Down Special Move (B-Down): Olimar plucks out a white pikmin and swings it around him quickly, causing good knockback but not much damage, like Mario's Down-B move. Damage: 8-10%.

Side Smash (A -> or <- ): Similar to his (B ->) move, but uses blue pikmin and only gets up to 20% damage, but is quicker to charge.

Up Smash (A-Up): Plucks out a bomb and yellow pikmin, and throws them up at the attacker. When charged this move can do up to 17% damage, with good knockback. A good antiair move.

Down Smash (A-Down): Plucks out a purple pikmin, and slams it headfirst into the ground. This creats a shockwave, which does good knockback and has good range, it momentarily stuns the people caught in the blast. Damage: 15 % when charged.

Final Smash: The Onions fly onto the stage, and unleash a flood of pikmin onto the stage. The opponents who weren't swept off the stage have all five pikmin stuck to them for five seconds, which does about 25% damage and makes it nearly impossible to move.

Olimar's Stats:

Jump: ***

Weight: ***

Speed: ***

He would be a well balanced character, like mario. Sorry I didn't really have time to make the throws or air moves, but you see how awesome his moveset could be.

Vali

Smash Ace
Dunno why there's people still worrying about AT status or his fanbase. Both games have sold over 1 million each and I think it was over 2.5 million as a franchise. Also there's a lot of people that would want Captain Olimar in but don't actually post on this thread, since you see all the time in the "Brawl Hopefuls" threads that repeatedly keep popping up that everyone supports Olimar.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
True, I'm not worried. I think today's update should put a lot of people's minds at ease. It shows (along with Dr. Wright, etc.) what types of characters Sakurai views as ATs. Clearly people gave Deoxys and Goroh too much credit. Anyway, good, original, important characters (like Olimar) have no worry about being an AT.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Ah good but he is defiantly getting in i mean what other new Nintendo franchise characters deserve a post more than him?

Shuma

Smash Hero
Ridley was also 5, IIRC it was a draw beetween him and King Triple D.

skullkidd

Smash Ace
Olimar would be so awesome in Brawl, but yeah, his moveset would be difficult to create, and use well. I am pro-Olimar, but I can't see him jumping around the Fire Emblem stage with a herd of Pikmin surrounding him.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I'm trying to work on an Olimar moveset, which I think will be really cool, but I'm still having trouble conceptualizing how I want the character to work. Aerials are a problem for example, seeing as how Olimar can't jump. >_>

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I looked through those, but none of them really struck me...I have something cool in mind, but I still haven't quite worked it out in my head yet.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
I made a mini-set of possible aerials that Olimar could have:

Dair: Olimar smacks downward with a bottle cap. (some move has to represent Olimars treasure hunting)

Fair: Hits the opponent with a pikmin (swings it in an arc)

Uair: Similar to Ness's, a headbutt

Bair: A quick backward punch

Nair: Spins around in air (similar to Ness's Nair)

As a side note, if anybody wants to see Olimar jump, about halfway through the first movie in Pikmin 2, Olimar jumps out of his ship. (This is also where I got the bottlecap idea.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I gotta keep digging this thing up...

I still haven't taken the time to put together a moveset. I'll just give you a brief idea of it, though. Everyone else suggests "blah blah blah, fair is a pikmin forward in the air" or something similar for his other attacks. Well, I want to make it more true to his game. vB is pull out Pikmin obviously, and you can maybe have up to 25 or something. From there, his attacks and most importantly his stats are based solely on how many Pikmin he has in his possession at the time.

I haven't fully worked it out, but basically, the Pikmin won't simply be an attack, they will be an entirely new concept.

moledork

Smash Cadet
captain olimar has many possibilities as a graeat character this would be a great choice for a new character Captain olimar ftb!

link175

Smash Rookie
olimer would be great the only problem is that he is about 5 inches tall maybe b4 battle he eats 5 mushrooms

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
olimer would be great the only problem is that he is about 5 inches tall maybe b4 battle he eats 5 mushrooms
Character size is no issue.

Bowser is a lot larger then he is in the game, and Pikachu is a lot smaller then he is in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom