• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Olimar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afoxtrotn00b

Smash Rookie
Thats not really what I meant, it's just the way many of the posts in this thread were worded, it sounded like you just wanted to control a bunch of pikmin. Otherwise, if you're using them as a normal weapon than that sound cool enough.

Vali

Smash Ace
Olimar...a PT clone?...I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. Or both.

For starters, you play as Olimar and actually move him about, attack with him etc. which surprisingly enough isn't anything like PT.

You don't play as the pikmin, they're more like far more complex character specific Mr. Saturns that follow you around and keep attacking blah blah blah. Again nothing like PT because the Pokemon are the ones you're actually controlling and have their own movesets.

They share absolutely nothing in common other than that they issue commands to a subserviant race of non-human creatures, but even how they do that they may as well be completely different. PTs issue commands through yelling at their little "friends", training them to battle and using complex battle strategies to win against other opponents. Olimar picks up pikmin and literally throws them at things to get them to do things, like attack and break down walls with their faces, then whistles to gather them all back up again. Can in the games also charge them around with C-stick to do mass interaction but that'd be imbalanced (and very hard to implement) so it's best left out of Brawl.

If you even bothered to read my moveset on the previous page I'm sure you would be able to draw almost no parallels to the PT whatsoever.

@Everyone saying Olimar is the Anti-Pokemon

While pikmin do have immunities yes, I must also maintain that they're still subject to non-elemental physical attacks. Falcon punch is a no no against reds for example, but you can still kick their ***** with a normal punch. A smart Pikachu user may decide to drop a thunderbolt on a big group on pikmin trying to rip his face off, but if that Olimar was a crafty bugger the thunderbolt would land on a group of yellows, doing nothing, and yet if not then the pikmin would get blown away for sure. It's not so much a counter-pick, since there are still many attacks that can kill them but it sure if an advantage having some of the stronger moves nullified by a certain type. Then again there's a lot of skill and strategy to having mainly yellow pikmin and using them effectively.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Why couldn't we just have Olimar as an Assist Trophy? After all, having him as character would screw over the originality that comes from the Pokemon trainer and make it all a gimmick.
Sure, but the cool thing about Pokemon trainer is that he is the only one we know so far that controls other creature primarily. If they were to put Olimar as a character it'll be like saying, "Hey everyone, we were thinking of more characters that control creatures and guess what we came up with? Thats right, now you can be molested by hordes of Pikmen, have fun!"
I don't see the comparison. The only similarity is Vali's idea of changing the ranks in a specific order, but this is where the similarity ends. PT is basically three characters in one. Olimar is one character, he just has living items that are a part of his moveset. you don't actually control the Pikmin at all. If you want a better analogy, it's more like ICs, and you have a bunch of Nanas following you around. They rely upon what attacks you do and what their AI says. PT is nothing like Olimar because all you do is switch between three characters like Zelda/Sheik.

I think they might have to jump. That's the only logical way that they could following him around while he climbs up a stage like Rumble Falls, or around any stages with levels.
I see them climbing up Rumble Falls like they do on the long sticks in the game...something like that.

On a side note, a few nights ago I dreamt that there was an item update that was a whistle, and it was something like it let you call Pikmin to your side or control them or something. So, I was all excited because it basically confirmed Olimar was a PC, and I was going to come on here and make fun of all of the naysayers. But alas, twas just a dream.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
like pokemon trainer maybe
he could command his flowery minions from the sidelines
Olimar wouldn't be on the sidelines. That wouldn't make any sense; it doesn't go along with his games at all. He is a very active tyrannical dictator.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
No, If there's one thing that has been stressed, it's that Olimar is going to fight in a way unique and diffrent to any other character, including PT. Besides, the sideline thing works with PT because that's what he does in the games, stand in the sidelines and command fighters. In Pikmin, Olimar fights alongside the Pikmin.

EDIT: Dang it, grim beat me to the punch

JesterBox

Smash Ace
One Pikmin on his back, he whacks with it, makes it throw bombs, etc. He could make chain of Pikmin and grabs ledges or whip players. Of course chuck Pikmin, maybe a Pikmin could walk beside him (not like ICs) the possibilities are great.

Olimar as a PT is just dumb.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
This thread needs some Olimar haters to stay alive. Since Olimar haters are few and far between, I'll take a stab at it:

"Olimar will not be in Brawl. This is becuase....er.... ummm....."

DANG IT! I can't do it! I just can't! Olimar is too awesome! :cry:

Florida

イーグランツ
This thread needs some Olimar haters to stay alive. Since Olimar haters are few and far between, I'll take a stab at it:

Bah, pathetic. Let me show you how it's done.
Olimar's nose is too big. Sakurai wouldn't want to scare the little children, right?
/thread

IllidR

Smash Champion
I'm going to subscribe to the thread because Olimar is one of the characters i'd REALLY like to see in Brawl. He could have a pretty unique moveset and Pikmin was one of my favorite games. Goo Olimar!

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC

Captain Olimar won't make it in because of YOUR FACE!!! OOH!!

That good enough?

dan smith

Smash Champion
I'm playing through Pikmin right now, and I've gotta say Olimar is one of my most hopeful picks. He does seem like a no-brainer...but without doubt there could be no suspense.

The size issue is an old one, but a funny one. I've been talking about 8in Kirby since the 64 version of Smash. He's still the same size though.

Personally, as far as a move set goes, I'd like Olimar to be a little less reliant on Pikmin. I know that sounds crazy, cause that's the point of his entire game, but I think he should have some attacks added. He's from a technologically advanced planet, he could have a tractor beam gun (ala spaceship) that could act as a distanced grab and definitely a jet pack as previously mentioned. I'd also like to see his lying down ability in Pikmin integrated into his character. As well as the Pikmin's ability to carry him even? There's not a lot to work with...but I think with a little bit of improv he could be stretched out into a great character.

Ness in EB didn't have half the moves he has in Smash, so there's definately no restricting them from expanding on Olimar.

Vali

Smash Ace
I really don't see the benefit of the jetpack because it doesn't really fit in and I can't see what it'd add. I mean just because he's a spaceman doesn't mean he has one, because he doesn't in the games. You can easily use the dolphin for a recovery move instead and there's plenty of creativity in his design that lends itself to a fully fleshed out moveset with the Pikmin. I'd just think including Olimar without making full use of the Pikmin would detract from the uniqueness and severely nip some potentionally great inclusions in the bud.

thehowielife

Smash Cadet
McFox already confirmed him as a secret character so I don't know why people are still talking on this.

Vali

Smash Ace
McFox already confirmed him as a secret character so I don't know why people are still talking on this.
Even if your ******** comment was true, what the hell does that have to do with his moveset? Think before you post, or just think please.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Olimar should be in Brawl simply because Pikmin was more addictive then crack.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Well...I don't know about THAT...

Anyway, Where is Olimar's confirmation? We all know that there's an 99% chance he'll be in Brawl (the other one percent takes his minute size into account).

IllidR

Smash Champion
I really hope captain Olimar is the next confirmed character.. i can't think of anyone who should be in more than him. Now with Diddy Kong update out of the way, let's hope!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Quote from the TRUTH! Olimar for Brawl, and the next Pikmin game [on the DS/Wii] should have online, so it's the most addictive drug game on the market [next to Pokémon]! :grin:

Olimar rocks btw, he'd be the most original thing...since, since, since....well the Pokémon Trainer, the IC, G&W, and Ness! :)

Olimar FTW, and Olimar for Brawl=o ya!

Not just is he one of my top picks, he's one of the most likely newcomers. Go Olimar! :)

Salaad

Smash Ace
We know he's in, I think Sakurai made the cut on his poll after Animal Crossing MC. Anything above that is basically confirmed I guess. Olimar should make the Pikmin make a rope for his recovery, that would be AWESOME.

Vali

Smash Ace
Wow Rapht, that puts you in the same league as Metallic_Shadow. That's not something to be proud of, really.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Ok, I love Olimar, and I am 110% supportive of his inclusion in Brawl as Playable, but its just hilarious that Rapth posted this pic up without a word. Well put!

But yeah i totally disagree with you, rapht. Olimar could be such a unique and valuable addition to the roster! I can practically already see him tossing pikmin into the air, each letting out a little "woo!" and I can almost hear the noise of his whistle.

I could see Olimar being in as three different ways-
1. He starts having a little group or pikmin around him which he uses and has with him all the time.
2. He starts by himself, and he uses a move (like a vB maybe?) to pull up pikmin one by one, eventually being able to collect a group of pikmin.
3. , He starts just being by himself and remains that way mostly, and just uses pikmin in his moves.

I think #2 is my fave, anyone else got any other ideas?

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
Any of the three is fine with me.

This is almost pointless it would take someone with less than half a brain who has never played Pikmin or any of the Smash Bros. Games to not agree that Olimar will be in Brawl. I mean, he's new, he's unique, he's popular. He's so obvious that everyone just accepts it as fact that he'll be in Brawl. I mean, Olimar is so obvious hat no one says that he shouldn't be in Brawl because then they'd be lying.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I was sceptical at first. I loved Pikmin but Olimar as a PC? I was really sceptical.

But the more I think about it the more Olimar frign' rules. Pikmin is simply an amazing game that should somehow be incorporated in Brawl. The idea of Olimar using Pikmin in Brawl just has to happen.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I was sceptical at first. I loved Pikmin but Olimar as a PC? I was really sceptical.

But the more I think about it the more Olimar frign' rules. Pikmin is simply an amazing game that should somehow be incorporated in Brawl. The idea of Olimar using Pikmin in Brawl just has to happen.
Oh ya! And having Olimar in Brawl would be a great endorsement for any new Pikmin games coming to the Wii.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
Id love Olimar to be in! If I could choose one newcomer for brawl, it would be him :)
Pikmn was severely overrated, imo, and should be recognised in Brawl just as much as any other franchise.
Check out my moveset!

Moveset!
^B - Yellow leap!: Two yellow pikmin will appear from underneath Olimar and shoot up into the air. As they pass him, Oli grabs onto thier feet, soaring upwards with them. When they reach a certain height (about the height of Mario's ^B) he will let go and the pikmin will dissappear into thin air. This letting go afterward catapult him slightly making his recovery a tad bigger than Marios. This is mainly just a third jump, but the catapulting action will cause a bit of damage. This attack is resistant to bombs and energy attacks (because of the yellows).

</>B - Blue dash!: A single blue pikmin will fly from just under Oli (dont worry, their not ALL like this... just the ^B and the </>B...). At the same time water will gush out from behind it. Olimar will grab onto the blue with one hand and they will very quicky zoom left/right on the thin layer of water. This would cover around 3/4 of battlefield. Olimar then gets up and the blue comicly flys off the edge of the stage, screaming. The water will then remain of the stage for a short while, making other characters fall over. The move itself does a fair bit of damage, but slipping on the water does a lot less.

\/B - Purple quake!: Oli puts his hands over his head and astonishingly pulls out a humongous purple pikmin from a pockt on his air supply tank. he then swings back over infront of him, and smacks it hard onto the ground. He does a very low hop when doing this like a lot of anime characters do when hitting with a hammer (or like amy from sonic does). This makes anybody within range fly in the air ad the whole screen shakes slightly. Immidiently after hitting the ground, Oli throws the purple off of he top of the screen, hitting anything in its path. Purple quake is an extemely powerfull move.

B - White poison!: Olimar holds out a white pikmin in the exact same way as Peach holds out toad. The white then shoots out poison a short disance infront of him. This can be charged. This also can be used as a block, but there is only a 30% chance that it will block anything at all. If an enemy is right up to you when you do it, the white will latch onto them. This will not cause extra damage, but it will make your foe immobile for a couple of seconds. The poison carries on damaging over time if it is fully charged (latched or not, it does not matter), but it will only be minor and temporary.

Basic attacks, strong attacks, smash attacks and arials: All these moves will include generic kicks and punches along with antennae swipes. The basic combo will be nearly idntical to Mario's. Smash attacks have the extra benefit of five pikmin smacking the enemy at the same time as Oli's strike. When charging or using a smash attack, Oli is resistant to fire attacks (Bowser's B, Mario's B, Luigi's B, etc...) an anything involving fire (like Roy's B - I know he's not confirmed but its an example...). This is obviously because of the reds.

Grabs: When the gra button is presses Oli will whistle. If no-one is in grabbing range, then nothing happens. But if someone is in rage, 15 pikmin will burst our of the ground and hold up thier victim above them. Baic throws then ensue (with pikmin being thrown along with them by Oli in the upthrow, ala Mewtwo's uphrow). The grabhit (or whatever its called... y'know like when yougr someone and smack 'em before you throw them...), makes the pikmin pin thier opponent the the ground as they repeatedly hit the opponent. They can also carry a character around he stage like Donkey Kong.

Final smash: Louie's centurion!: Louie flys onto the stage (the backround bit where Pokemon Trainer stands), in the ship from pikmin 2. The onions (pikmin containers, if ya didnt know) lands next to him. First he spays Ultra-spicy spray on the onions (making he pimin fast and loony). Then he jumps out of the ship and points to all the enemys. 20 of each of the 5 types of pikmin swarm the stage. 100 PIKMIN!!!! They are fearless, merciless and they all use thier special abilities and resistances to battle. They can each survive 20% damage and go straight for thier target. After a short time, the survivors (if any) return to Louie and fly off.

Taunt: All five of the different pikmin will peer out rom behind Oli as he spins around and sticks out his hand, holding up his two fingers in the peace sign. The little running trumpet fanfare from pikmin will play during this.

Jumps and dash attack: Oli does standard jumps but can also hover with his jetpack (like peach) on the second jump. His dash attack will be him sliding on his back spraying Ultra-bitter spray infront of him. The slide itself does not damage much, but the spray will temporarily make the opponent slower.

~~~~~

So whaddya you guys think?

Ive got ideas for stages, items, assist trophies, logos, music and graphical styles if you want them!!!!! ;)

OLIMAR 4 BRAWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shuma

Smash Hero
Ol1m4r ish to smal to bi on bralsors, lol lol.

Olimar would bring a unique moveset to brawl, but do i like him? no the Pikmin games where monsters.

MONSTERS!.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
I'm going to make an animated gif about that person who keeps on posting that **** picture...

Anyways what about his stage? i thought it would be cool if it was on top of a giant bulorb (Or whatever they are called).

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The Impact Site or The Distant Spring would make good potential stages

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The Impact Site or The Distant Spring would make good potential stages
Anything as long as you are small and fight on leaves, with small bugs [that are now giant thanks to everyone being basically microcopic] in the background! :laugh: I love the idea of fighting on leaves, rocks, etc. like you were picroscopoic. I wonder if Pikmin could have a moving stage...that would be intresting. Anyways, IMO Pikmin should have two stages since it's so intresting, and has soooo many variations with you basically being microscopic and all! Any Pikmin stage would rock IMO! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom