• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Olimar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
i think he'd be a pretty **** original character in smash.
and he falls under the nintendo base WE ALL LOVE.

not third party junk.

no one seems to have mentioned him yet, but i think he'd be a great character whose potential can be unlocked through brawl's team.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
there would probably be a cap on how many pikmin he could pull out 'cause if he could toss them at someone and they grab ahold... and keep hitting... imagine like 100 pikmin on the opponent - haha.

or all of them running around.
but if it were to happen, it'd probably be like 10 pikmin or something.
just so it doesn't make the opponent immobile.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Antioch said:

not third party junk.

no one seems to have mentioned him yet, but i think he'd be a great character whose potential can be unlocked through brawl's team.

dood, you've got a problem. ;) what, do you only play Nintendo games? please don't refer to the classic heroes of gaming as "third party junk." without this "third party junk" bolstering the NES, Nintendo wouldn't be the household name it is today.

now that that's out of the way, yes, Captain Olimar rules and he should most definately be in Brawl. i, and others i'm sure, have included him in our list submissions on the japanese official site.

Gonzales

Smash Journeyman
Olimar would be an an awesome character. Hopefully he and Louie will find their way into the game. Maybe they could be like the Ice Climbers....

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
kilroy said:
dood, you've got a problem. ;) what, do you only play Nintendo games? please don't refer to the classic heroes of gaming as "third party junk." without this "third party junk" bolstering the NES, Nintendo wouldn't be the household name it is today.

now that that's out of the way, yes, Captain Olimar rules and he should most definately be in Brawl. i, and others i'm sure, have included him in our list submissions on the japanese official site.
i'm sorry, is there a problem with wanting nintendo to focus more on the amazing list of characters they have created themselves over the past years rather than the ridiculous reverie of someone who desires CLOUDDDDDD!!1111 OMG CLOUD VS LINK CAN'T WAIT!!1?
or maybe ryu? LOL.

ic, ic.

i just wanted people's intakes on captain olimar, that's all. :D

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Antioch said:
i'm sorry, is there a problem with wanting nintendo to focus more on the amazing list of characters they have created themselves over the past years rather than the ridiculous reverie of someone who desires CLOUDDDDDD!!1111 OMG CLOUD VS LINK CAN'T WAIT!!1?
or maybe ryu? LOL.

ic, ic.

i just wanted people's intakes on captain olimar, that's all. :D

hehe, no no, i totally hear you. =) the Big N's got a treasure trove of people they could put in. *BUT*, i must say i'd rather they open the door to big name, classic mascots than, say, scraping the bottom of their own barrel.

personally, my list of desired N characters isn't long enough to fill my expectations of new character slots. so now i have the option of dipping into other greats that i fondly remember from my 8 and 16 bit days.

now, i may get some flack for saying this, but i'm with you on the fact that no square-enix or street fighter character should ever, or will ever, be in this game. they're universes apart, and rightly so. besides, who needs FF when we have Fire Emblem? i've got a million versions of street fighter, do i really need them to infest smash bros? not really, no.

but i think that's a very different thing from requesting top tier mascots. heck, the sonic vs. mario dream has been kept alive for over a decade. i, for one, think it's time to make it a reality, and there's no better venue for such a battle of epic proportions than Smash Bros.

just my .02. =) i don't mean to hijack the topic.

Olimar totally rules. i wanna see Snake covered with pikmin that are beating him with their foreheads. ;)

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
not to be so off topic, but i'll say this:

it's a love/hate relationship between wanting sonic in or not.
i think i have finally accepted him into the world of smash if it were to happen since so much talk about him being in the game, even by the developers.
atleast, stating they want sonic in a game with mario.

but when it becomes an issue of DBZ, megaman, FF, street fighter, or characters that basically make no sense or have no purpose in a game like SMASH BROS... then it's just ridiculous.

basically everyone of those games or characters from those series have their own fighting series.
yes, they do not belong nor should they infest smash bros.

-----

but now, back to olimar.
whoa, can't believe i didn't think of this - haha.

he should be able to spray (does he breathe out or spray the spicy/bitter coat?) onto his pikmin or an opponent.
obviously depending on which is sprayed. (bitter on opponent, spicy on pikmin).
but it'd probably have to be some kind of charge up, maybe?

'cause i'm pretty sure if he were to use infinite bitter coats on an opponent he'd be a god lol.
there would have to be a way to change the coating, too.
like while charging you can press up or down on d-pad to change through spicy or bitter.
sounds doable to me!

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Antioch said:
not to be so off topic, but i'll say this:

it's a love/hate relationship between wanting sonic in or not.
i think i have finally accepted him into the world of smash if it were to happen since so much talk about him being in the game, even by the developers.
atleast, stating they want sonic in a game with mario.

but when it becomes an issue of DBZ, megaman, FF, street fighter, or characters that basically make no sense or have no purpose in a game like SMASH BROS... then it's just ridiculous.

basically everyone of those games or characters from those series have their own fighting series.
yes, they do not belong nor should they infest smash bros.

-----

but now, back to olimar.
whoa, can't believe i didn't think of this - haha.

he should be able to spray (does he breathe out or spray the spicy/bitter coat?) onto his pikmin or an opponent.
obviously depending on which is sprayed. (bitter on opponent, spicy on pikmin).
but it'd probably have to be some kind of charge up, maybe?

'cause i'm pretty sure if he were to use infinite bitter coats on an opponent he'd be a god lol.
there would have to be a way to change the coating, too.
like while charging you can press up or down on d-pad to change through spicy or bitter.
sounds doable to me!

quick on 3rd party: i agree on all counts except megaman. again, because megaman was BORN on the NES. and also, i simply MUST complete the Captain N team experience. ;) i grew up on that cartoon, so the idea of Simon Belmont, Pit, and Megaman all rubbing elbows together was, well, what the idea of the NES was, and was the dream of the ultimate, unified Nintendo video game universe. =)

back to olimar: i never got around to playing pikmin 2, so i can't say i know anything about these different coatings. can you elaborate?

i basically saw him tossing yellow pikmin with bombs and sending a red swarm to beat on people (this could be a grab and pummel too). i really can't imagine what kind of recovery he would have though. it would seem weird if he would, say, travel up a bridge that the pikmin built, out of thin air.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Needs more on topic discussion imo

They got 2 new pikmin in pikmin 2
Purple ones were really butch and buff and could lft stuff and were grossly obese
And their new counterparts, The White Pikmin, were whit anorexic albinos that poisoned stuff that ate them, but yeah I would love to see my fav nintendo characters and Snake ***** by pikmin
that would never get old
And as for his recovery...He didnt have a spaceship or anything >_>

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
poison, eh? continuous damage build up over time could be good for him. i definately want him to utilize the different types to their strengths.

maybe, when carrying items, he doesn't carry them but the pikmin do, so he could maybe "hold" a crate with the pikmin, while he was still fighting, then toss the crate whenever he "commands" the pikmin to do so?

just some thoughts. still no idea what to do with blue pikmin.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
the bitter coating spray is a way to basically make your opponent (in pikmin2) become stone for a short amount of time allowing your army of pikmin to attack without being harmed, but if the opponent breaks out obviously your pikmin will be punished.

and the spicy coating spray is a pikmin-enhancing spray.
basically it buffs up your pikmin making them stronger and faster.

and yeah, purple pikmin are very heavy and when thrown they stamp the ground very hard.
also, they are the most strong. i think one purple pikmin counts as 10 regular pikmin.

and white pikmin, yes, are poison when eaten.
also are immune to other poisons, or toxins.
and when you have the right amount of white pikmin carrying an item, they are also the most swift in bringing it back to your ship.

so lots of these kinds of things could definitley help olimar out.
and i like that idea of the pikmin carrying items instead of him - haha. :D

i'm pretty sure it all depends on how many pikmin you can have out at one time, and how much individual strength and dmg they can cause. o_o;

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
oh yeah, that bitter coating sounds perfect for smash. a basic freeze which, during that time, his pikmin based attacks will do more damage.

if we include spicy as well, it'd be a basic power-up. we'd have to limit how often he could use it tho, time delay? ups his pikmin based attack damage and/or speed. it'd be the first move of its kind in smash.

man, he could be a really sweet character. everyone will come to fear the mighty pikmin war machine.

takun: about recovery, yes, he did. i guess i just considered that it'd be, well, broken. ;) but yeah, it could work.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Accept it or not, characters are going to show up whether you like it or not. No matter how much I hate the Ice Climbers, no matter how much I hate the clones, I'll have to deal with it.

Regardless, think about who YOU want to use. Don't think about characters you aren't even going to use. To be honest, all I truly care about is Peach. I won't rest easy until I see a screenshot of her.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
Kereokacola said:
Accept it or not, characters are going to show up whether you like it or not. No matter how much I hate the Ice Climbers, no matter how much I hate the clones, I'll have to deal with it.

Regardless, think about who YOU want to use. Don't think about characters you aren't even going to use. To be honest, all I truly care about is Peach. I won't rest easy until I see a screenshot of her.
and this has anything to do with captain olimar? ;\

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Did you even pay attention to what I had to say?

Captain Olimar qualifies under the category of characters who may or may not show up, because he has never been apart of the Smash franchise. Take that, read what I had to say again, and then shut up.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
lol - seems like someone's getting heated with that "shut up". D:

i apologize, but when did i state that captain olimar was in the game?
we're simply discussing the possibilities, and what olimar is capable of.
i don't understand why'd you say "characters would show up whether you like it or not"?
is that like saying "whether you like it or not captain olimar is or is not going to be in the game!!!11".

so what, i say i want one character in the game and automatically i'm attacked at an angle that also includes that ALL characters "may or may not" be in the game?

again, what does this have to do with my topic?
pretty much nothing.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I'm not going to argue with you. I'm getting fed up with people picking and complaining about character choices and possibilities of appearances. We are not making this game, "they" are, and we will have to sit back and watch who they decide to make the cut.

Which brings my next question. Is Captain Olimer someone who you want to use as a character? That's what my reply was implying to you. I'm sorry my wording wasn't apparent enough for you to understand.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
oooh, so i guess that japanese nintedo submission form is a hoax.
those sly devils at nintendo. ;D
IT'S ALL UP TO YOU NOW NINTENDO!!111

always foolin' us hehe.

i'm prettttty sure i wasn't complaining about anything, either.
i never complained about snake, if that's what you are getting at.
i welcome him to the game due to circumstances that were inevitable.
nor did i ever complain about olimar, and if i had that would make no sense.

so, who did i complain about?
or is this a personal problem you seem to have with the mass?

your wording isn't apparent at all.
whether or not i want to use captain olimar is of no importance.
i see him as a character who belongs in the game.
so quiet down. :{

Sensai

Smash Master
Antioch said:

not third party junk.

I've been waiting for Nintendo to announce him...he's a must.

My fear is that he'll just be a Peach clone: pulling up Pikmin and throwing 'em, at least. Maybe an IceClimbers clone, with just the Pik's following him around and such.

That'd be bad.

AnubisGX

Smash Journeyman
One of olimar's moves could be that his downB plants seeds in the ground, then a few seconds later, they sprout, and the longer they're in the ground before plucking, they get stonger (bud - leaf - flower) like in the game. So you could leave em in the ground while you fight, then pluck em when you want. They'll follow you around and you can throw em like items. And the stronger the pikmin, the more damage they'll do. And maybe different directions with B could make the different color pikmin and each has a different power or the color could just be random, like peaches turnips..
Olimar would be a fun character.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Sensai said:
My fear is that he'll just be a Peach clone: pulling up Pikmin and throwing 'em, at least. Maybe an IceClimbers clone, with just the Pik's following him around and such. That'd be bad.
Don't assume he'll be a Peach clone. I want to assume there will be no clones.

Sensai

Smash Master
Kereokacola said:
Don't assume he'll be a Peach clone. I want to assume there will be no clones.
That would be way cool, but is probably farfetched. I don't want any clones either...

And Meta doesn't look like a clone, so if he turns out to be one, I'mma be fuggin' pissed.

Jesus said:
Clones suxorz. Sorry just had to input this into Sensai's mind.
There we go. See, even His SON is on my side.

AnubisGX

Smash Journeyman
he'd be different from peach because he'd have to plant the pikmin and then would have to go back to that spot and pull them, he wouldn't just walk around anywhere and pull them out of nowhere like peach.

Pikmin powers:
Red: grabs person pounds on them.
Yellow: grabs on person and does a pop stun hit like falco's shine
Blue: grabs person and does a knockback thing like fox's shine
White: Causes poison damage and slowed movement
Black: Cause good initial damage, loss of movement, loss of jump, also breaks shield if blocked.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
hmmm, yeah, i like the planting idea.

and it's purple, not black.
just a note. :D

but that seems like much.
if multiple pikmin can be planted, imagine a red, yellow, blue, white, and purple (those five alone) barrage on a character?
that's... a little too strong imo.

red and blue don't seem to have visible properties to their element, really.
they can't cast fire, or produce water.
but yellow always seems to be electrified.
though, i don't think that'd be viable. purple/white should really only have different effects, imo.
and white only seems to cause poison when EATEN, though, they may be able to make it so the white pikmin carry your opponent somewhere on the stage due to their swiftness. (they carry the treasures you find in pikmin2 really fast).
and purple, when thrown, can stamp down on the enemy either creating knockback or minimal stun (an effect like pichu's thundershock, but obviously not electric).

woot for olimar!

AnubisGX

Smash Journeyman
of course the better ones would be rarer to plant/pull like peaches stitch face and bob-omb.

yes, I guess the red, blue, and yellow don't really need abilities.
They can just be different colors and pound on the opponent.

the white ones could maybe pick up the opponent and walk towards the nearest edge like DK.
It would be like DK's cargo, much quicker, but they don't throw. But the white ones can't carry unless there are two other pikmin, or just one purple one.

The purple ones, when thrown, would do an automatic butt stomp like yoshi's. If it hits, it would do decent initial damage, pound on opponent like the small piks and they would lose the ability to jump (like in the game, they're so heavy, enemies can't jump). Maybe they could bury the opponent in the ground like DK's headbutt.

But how would olimar's A attacks look like, he's not really the fighter type.

burrito

Smash Lord
I was expecting Olimar to definitely be in this game, but since he wasn't one of the newcomers shown in the trailer, I am kind of worried. I am really hoping for him in this game. He could have some very original moves.

Sensai

Smash Master
burrito said:
I was expecting Olimar to definitely be in this game, but since he wasn't one of the newcomers shown in the trailer, I am kind of worried. I am really hoping for him in this game. He could have some very original moves.
I wouldn't be worried about him not showing up, 'cause he'll be there. It'd be dumb to leave him out, 'cause he's way cool and has a decent enough fanbase.

fluffy

Smash Champion
this is what i see from c. olimar or louie.

B: whistle (ill explain later) *
Down + B: pluck a random colored pikmin (like peach's turnips, only they follow u)
Up + B: throw pikmin (like yoshi, he cant hav a 3rd recovery boost)
Forward + B: i have no idea

*whistle calls for pikmin to get back to work since they might wander off sumwhere...

yea i know it sounds stupid lol

Sensai

Smash Master
fluffy said:
this is what i see from c. olimar or louie.

B: whistle (ill explain later) *
Down + B: pluck a random colored pikmin (like peach's turnips, only they follow u)
Up + B: throw pikmin (like yoshi, he cant hav a 3rd recovery boost)
Forward + B: i have no idea

*whistle calls for pikmin to get back to work since they might wander off sumwhere...

yea i know it sounds stupid lol
He seems like he'd need a 3rd jump, so maybe his throwing would be Forward B, and his up B would be a jet pack or something.

Oh, or his Pikmin could grab him and throw him upwards (and then the Pikmin die).

fluffy

Smash Champion
good idea. like the g&w jump? jetpack seems nice too, but his pikmin cant fly...

**EDIT**
changed a really embarrasing gramatical error lol

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
How about when Olimar picks a Pikmin out, it just runs around and helps him fight? Of course he can only do one at a time.

Yellow can throw bombs
Red uses "smash like" attacks
Blue is swift and attacks repeatedly
White shoots cloud like poison like Weezing does
Purple can grab and throw opponents

Then B (whistle) could call them over to help him out. Up B could be the jetpack then.

givequicheachance

Smash Cadet
Olimar seems like a no brainer. Pikmin is the only major new franchise to be born on the Gamecube.
(Animal Crossing was born on N64)

I imagine him running around with a pack of 10-20 pikmin all the time. His neutral-B could be like when you swarm the pikmin around with the c-stick (just hold B and move the analog stick) His smash-B could be throwing a random colored-pikmin, his up-B could be a jetpack or rocketship-assist recovery move, and his down-B could be...well, whatever, I'm sure they'll think of something good.

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
I find it funny that not one person (I believe) has said anything about Olimar being too small.

Sensai

Smash Master
Mr.Starone said:
I find it funny that not one person (I believe) has said anything about Olimar being too small.
And people wanna throw in Ridley, who's mega-big.

Size can be redone, even if it is a little off from the original game.

And how was Animal Crossing born on the 64? I've never heard this.

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
I was just pointing out the irony (hypocricy maybe?) in that since alot of people moan about Ridley being too big.

I'm all for Olimar being in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom