• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Olimar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
Yay were talking about stages now! An excuse to break out my ideas!

The forest of hope: This would start off as all the characters standing on the dolphin and fighting (dur). Then it would crash onto the landing site and all the characters would be lung off onto one of those breakable walls. A they continue to fight, the wall slowly dops down, shaking the players. Then, the wall completely falls down, but before they hit the floor, a big bulborb will run through. The runs around the area, making the cuved "platform" (its back) tilt around. Then he will stop randomly and everyone will fly fowards. Then they luckily get caught by on of the flying things that hold stuff. Its holding three platforms, which is obviously what you will then use. After flying for a bit, the fly-thing swoops down and dops you all into the nearby lake, which, granted, is not deep at all, but you could still drown. So here, you must jump from twig to twig to survive. Then you all jump up into the air and land on one of the pikmin-made bridgeswhere the fight ensues. While on the bridge, a group of rouge pikmin (the mushroom ones from Pikmin 1) will pick you up an throw you onto a plant. Here, you fight on the leaves, which move when you step on them. If stepped on too much, they will break, if not steppedon much at all they will grow. The whole time, the plant is growing higher and higher, until eventually it is in the treetops, where it breaks. You then battle on a branch. The tree then gets hit by another evil monster thing and you fall back into the landing site, right next to Olimars ship, which the pikmin are just finishing repairing. Everyone then stands on the ship. It takes off, goes a fair way, and then smoke comes out of the back. It turns around and the whole thing starts again!

So what about this idea? As good as my moveset (page 37)?

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Wow that is great! doubt Sakurai would make something like that seeing as that is A LOT but if he ever did that would be my instant favorite XD! good work.

(What you think of my gif?)

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Wow that is great! doubt Sakurai would make something like that seeing as that is A LOT but if he ever did that would be my instant favorite XD! good work.

(What you think of my gif?)

BTW, I actually love your GIF! I saved it like I do with most awesome pics ;)

It'll shut that guy for sure! GET 'IM!

Gotta love a square with stick arms getting swarmed in pikmin :laugh:

Legolastom

Smash Hero
XD They are actually pretty easy to make... just make the individual frames on paint and try not to make to much movement : p

I thought the bit with the Bulorb at the very end was the funniest IMO

Anyway i think i see the dolphin in a SMG screen... http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/news_230807_mario.html here go to the space one and look at the space ship.

(Well Miyamoto does love the Pikmin franchise... seeing as its one of his most innovative)

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
XD They are actually pretty easy to make... just make the individual frames on paint and try not to make to much movement : p

I thought the bit with the Bulorb at the very end was the funniest IMO

Anyway i think i see the dolphin in a SMG screen... http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/news_230807_mario.html here go to the space one and look at the space ship.

(Well Miyamoto does love the Pikmin franchise... seeing as its one of his most innovative)
Yeah, he even named the series after his dog! :chuckle:

So you really like the stage idea? :dizzy:

Do ya like the moveset a much?

On the GIF subject, I have fireworks instead of paint, but I kno what ya mean. I can make a few animated gifs by editing pics but I suck at drawing with the mouse...:psycho:

And yes... that IS oli's ship :)

I wonder if he makes a cameo appearance!?!?!? :crazy:

OMFG!!!!!!!

Oli 4 brawl is now more likely!!!!

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Maybe there is a Pikmin planet... and yhea great stage and move set!.

Anyways you can just copy and paste sprites into a picture N stuff : P

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, im better at flash than gifs for some reason though... (as stupid as that sounds, it is true...:urg:)

A pikmin planet in SMG would be awesome! As if Galaxy didnt already have anough gameplay innovations, another possible one comes up! Miyamoto said that they have experimented with different sized spheres, and that the very large ones hat they are thinkng of putting in Mario feel compltely flat! Gigantic pikmin plane in SMG ftw?

Trying to get back on topic, do you think ice climbers style Oli and Lou is going a bit too far as it would be sen as a ripoff? An would a PT-style Oli (stands at the back, you play as a large group of syncronised pikmin) also be too much of a copy? Let the debate commence! Lol.

BTW, im not gonna be as prompt to reply right now as my turd of a sister want to use the internet... :grrr:

Oh and I added you to my buddy list... :ohwell: I havent bothered before but I like you! :laugh:

Vali

Smash Ace
Don't think that's the Dolphin. For starters there seems to be a lack of any defining features of the Dolphin such as the cockpit bubble on the top, the propulsion seems all wrong and the ship is infact A) far too large considering the size of Mario and Olimar and B) most likely Nintendo's basic "cookie-cutter" cartoony spaceship design. It could, perhaps, be an early design of Olimar's spaceship before it was made much better, but certainly neither spaceships found in Pikmin 1 or 2.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Don't think that's the Dolphin. For starters there seems to be a lack of any defining features of the Dolphin such as the cockpit bubble on the top, the propulsion seems all wrong and the ship is infact A) far too large considering the size of Mario and Olimar and B) most likely Nintendo's basic "cookie-cutter" cartoony spaceship design. It could, perhaps, be an early design of Olimar's spaceship before it was made much better, but certainly neither spaceships found in Pikmin 1 or 2.
Yeah, I guess youre right... the hype got to me...

Its just I remember seeing in a screenshot a simular ship in the distance ofwhere Mario was standing, and the ship was a darker red like Oli's ship... it was in a mag, so I cant show it. I can tell you that in the other shot, it had two windows, and was just grey and red, and it had a simular shape to the one in the shot above.

Here's a pikmin wallpaper of Oli's ship for you to compare to:

It almost exactly matches the one in the mag! I guess I just thought the closer u one was a new design or that it was of the other side...

Oh, well... one can hope and dream... OLIMAR 4 BRAWL AND GALAXY!!!!!

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
That would be cool if they somehow included Pikmin in Galaxy, but I'm hoping to see a new Pikmin game announced soon and Captain Olimar announced for Brawl!
I would like the exact same things to happen! Pikmin 3, Olimar playable in Brawl, and a cameo in Galaxy! Pikmin could return with a huge bang! Of course, none of this may happen at all...

IllidR

Smash Champion
I would like the exact same things to happen! Pikmin 3, Olimar playable in Brawl, and a cameo in Galaxy! Pikmin could return with a huge bang! Of course, none of this may happen at all...
I'm pretty sure everything except the Galaxy cameo WILL in fact happen. Captain Olimar has, i think, AMAZING chances to get in Brawl and didn't someone hint during E3 or something that Pikmin might get another game?

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Maybe in Pikmin 3, Olimar's "species" of people could immigrate to the Pikmn planet, where the Pikmin would assist all the residents. Then a new type of enemy appears on the planet, and Olimar and Louie (being the leaders of the colony as they founded it) must drive them out of the inhabited areas, save people and rebuild cities, before defeating the "mother" of the beasts. At the same time Peebe (Olimar is an anagram of Mario without the L, Louie sounds like Luigi without the G, so Peebe is like Peach... and yes it is a real name) is a female scientist that has based her studies on the moon. There she finds an extrodinary new type of Pikmin that i apparantly extremely powerfull, but has uknown powers. She goes back to tell Oli and Lou abot them, but finds that they are gone. She then sets off on a sidequest to find them. In her adventures, she uses the original 5 Pikmin to get through more unusual levels - the catch - she can only use one type at a time. Menwhile, Oli and Lou have dicovered 3 new types of Pikmin:

Orange: Can stretch EXTREMELY far with any part of its body. It can also craft weaponary.

Pink: Can fly high into the air, even when carrying somthing, and can blow hig speed winds out of its large mouth.

Green and brown: This two-toned Pikmin has a drill on its face and hands. It can dig through stone with ease and can sneak past enemies as it is camolages. After digging, it can fire rock pellets from the tip of the drill on its face. Can ALSO climb walls

The old Pikmin also have evolved with new abilities:

Red: Can now breathe fire and smell out food.

Blue: Can generate water, to use as it sees fit (weapon: squirt, defence: make a lake, assist: can keep other pikmin alive).

Yellow: Can emit electricity and magnatise itself.

White: Can shoot poison and have large teeth to bite off chuncks of plant/enemy.

Purple: Can uproot plants, save other Pikmin from death-by-eating, can throw thier fellow 'min and have an armoured shell.

As you may have noticed, Pikmin now have to eat and drink as well now! Everything else from basic gameplay to original powers will be the same, only, gameplaywise, tweaks will be made. These tweaks will be things like more control and commands for the Pikmin, Wii contols, and the whole story mode can be played in true co-op (execept Peebe's levels).

Will Oli and Lou save thier kind? Will Peebe make it to them in time to help them? What does the moon Pikmin do?

Who knows? Pikmin 3 isnt even real... yet...

zintendomouse

Smash Cadet
ah ha! finnally, a person that wants olimar too =) anyway yes thats a great idea,a add on for is too make olimar like the ice climbers and have olimar and loui the same (seeing as the ice climbers probably wont make it through.

IllidR

Smash Champion
ah ha! finnally, a person that wants olimar too =) anyway yes thats a great idea,a add on for is too make olimar like the ice climbers and have olimar and loui the same (seeing as the ice climbers probably wont make it through.
Ewwww, don't suggest an Olimar and Louie pair! Either him solo or him with Pikmin... i would hate to see him paired up with Louie, let the ice climbers have that character design!

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Seeing as everyone (Maybe even Iwata o_0) in Nintendo DOES what Miyamoto wants it is highly likely that Olimar will get into brawl... i mean even if Miyamoto doesn't care (Which he does) Olimar could get in on his own rights.

Anyways got the Photobucket version of the gif now!

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea but honestly there really isn't a reason as to why he shouldn't be in.

Anyways there are so many ways he could be implemented.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
@Wiseguy: Nice find!

@Legolastorm: Very true... he, imo, had more of a chance than pit, and pit is in, so...

@Gypsy Lee: :laugh: Agreed! Pint-sized-pimp ftw!

@zintendomouse: Nice to hear a fellow Oli fan! I thought that too... im sure if it would work though...

@Megadio26: Yes, yes I did. Did I mention that when the are left standing around for a while, the stare at the screen, point at you and say: "YoUrE nExT! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I wIlL eAt YoU iN YoUr SlEeP!!!!", in an eerie, husky voice...

@IllidR: Sorry:ohwell:... I got a bit excited... I will calm down... slightly. Im going on holiay tomorrow anyway, so you wont have to worry about that for over a week! :laugh: But as soon as I am back... assist trophy ideas, item ideas, logo ideas, music ideas, graphic ideas, subspace ideas... and... SMG cameo ideas!!!!!!!

IllidR

Smash Champion
If Olimar is in Brawl (Which he will be) do you think that he'll be a secret character? I think he would make a great wtf character at the end of the game, but I don't know if i can wait that long for him. :p

IllidR

Smash Champion
yeah secret seems about right. i don't know why, but he just seems the type

olimar for brawl
1. A Nintendo-original franchise
2. An awesome protagonist in an awesome game
3. He could bring a completely unique and original moveset to Brawl.
4. He was a trophy in Melee

Any other reasons I missed?

Talendime

Smash Ace
I played Pikmin for a couple days, and I thought it was kind of ********.. I don't hate this guy, but I wouldn't want him as a playable character, it would just seem too stupid for me.
Isn't he like a complete thumbelina as well?

I'd be comfortable to see him as an assist trophy, commanding a bunch of Pikmin to fling themselves around like little shards of hardened clumps of dirt.

And IllidR, I don't want to sound rude, but it seems like the only valid point you made (of the four) was your first.

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
I played Pikmin for a couple days, and I thought it was kind of ********.. I don't hate this guy, but I wouldn't want him as a playable character, it would just seem too stupid for me.

I'd be comfortable to see him as an assist trophy, commanding a bunch of Pikmin to fling themselves around like little shards of hardened clumps of dirt.

And IllidR, I don't want to sound rude, but it seems like the only valid point you made (of the four) was your first.
I disagree. But it doesn't matter. IMO he's guarnteed a spot because he's a brainchild of Shigeru Miyamoto. There would be no Nintendo without him. I'm sure Sakurai will take that into consideration. And everyone of Miyamoto's franchises are already in Brawl.

Vali

Smash Ace

Oh and bringing an awesome and unique moveset isn't a valid point? Sakurai showed with the PT that he's willing to bring more complex but utterly unique, interesting and fantastic movesets to Brawl. The fact that he's an awesome protagonist in an awesome game covers 2 points in 1 that both he and the game were received very well by fans and became popular as well as both Pikmin games being critically acclaimed and a 3rd soon to be in the works. He was a trophy in Melee isn't much of a point I'll admit, but he clearly made 4 decent points.

1) Originality in a moveset, Brawl needs it
2) Popular character
3) Popular franchise
4) Nintendo-original franchise and also 1 of only 2 Nintendo franchises that originated during the Gamecube era

As for your description of him as an Assist Trophy it's painfully obvious that you haven't spent more than 5 minutes with the game. It's fine that you didn't like the game, even the best of games aren't suited to everyone's tastes, but to apparently not have even grasped the basics of the game (as in you don't understand how the character would work) and write off the character in Brawl on your opinion is taking it a little too far really. Olimar throws the pikmin, not commands them to jump, and the pikmin are living plant creatures not shards of hardened clumps of dirt. The pikmin also attack by whacking things with their faces and are in no way "sharpened" or apparently plant shrapnel.

For a shameless advertisment of my own moveset, I'll post a link to the requote a few pages back here.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=71336&page=34

Hopefully it might convince you that having a "unique and intersting moveset" really is an advantage to a character.

Talendime

Smash Ace
Oh and bringing an awesome and unique moveset isn't a valid point?
That's not what I meant. I meant that every character should be given this description, and it shouldn't just be exclusive to this one guy.

Sakurai showed with the PT that he's willing to bring more complex but utterly unique, interesting and fantastic movesets to Brawl. The fact that he's an awesome protagonist in an awesome game covers 2 points in 1 that both he and the game were received very well by fans and became popular as well as both Pikmin games being critically acclaimed and a 3rd soon to be in the works.
I considered this point weak as well because saying that he's "awesome" is kind of opinionated.

1) Originality in a moveset, Brawl needs it - True
2) Popular character - True
3) Popular franchise - True
4) Nintendo-original franchise and also 1 of only 2 Nintendo franchises that originated during the Gamecube era -Interesting
These points are slightly better, however the first one again is generic. That's kind of cool how there were only 2 franchises introduced on GCN, but it still doesn't mean much to me (sorry!).

As for your description of him as an Assist Trophy it's painfully obvious that you haven't spent more than 5 minutes with the game.
I don't remember exactly how long I played for, but if I remember it right there was a 30 day sort of thing and I got to day 27. I think I remember that I recovered almost all of his spaceship thing as well..

It's fine that you didn't like the game, even the best of games aren't suited to everyone's tastes, but to apparently not have even grasped the basics of the game (as in you don't understand how the character would work) and write off the character in Brawl on your opinion is taking it a little too far really.
I wasn't writing anybody off. I'm not one of those people who thinks my opinion is of authority. You need not get so offended.

Olimar throws the pikmin, not commands them to jump, and the pikmin are living plant creatures not shards of hardened clumps of dirt. The pikmin also attack by whacking things with their faces and are in no way "sharpened" or apparently plant shrapnel.
My description for him as an assist trophy was under the mentality that he's puny, and the Pikmin are a gathered army of tiny creatures. The reason I didn't say throw is because when I pictured it, there were many Pikmin involved. I imagine it similar to the Beedrill or Unown (I'm not sure if that's how you spell it) pokeballs.
As for the Pikmin being made of dirt, you misinterpreted me. "fling themselves around like little shards of hardened clumps of dirt."
I said "like" clumps of dirt.
Also, it took me about 3 seconds to think up, so don't be so hard on me.

For a shameless advertisment of my own moveset, I'll post a link to the requote a few pages back here.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=71336&page=34

Hopefully it might convince you that having a "unique and intersting moveset" really is an advantage to a character.
I was convinced of that the first time I ever played Super Smash Bros.

Again, sorry to seem like a hater.

Vali

Smash Ace
That's not what I meant. I meant that every character should be given this description, and it shouldn't just be exclusive to this one guy.
Aye that is true, and I wish it could be that way, but some characters lend themselves better to utterly unique movesets than others. While a swordsman can have many attacks that correspond to his games and attack in different ways, the majority of the moveset will be filled out with more generic sword slashes. They may play completely differently because of their different stats and strengths, but I'd say that a roster filled with Kirby, Pikachu, Link, Ganondorf and Peach would be of a much greater variety than one of Marth, Ganondorf (with a sword), Ike, Link and WW Link even though each of them would play differently.

I considered this point weak as well because saying that he's "awesome" is kind of opinionated.
I was merely taking the opinion to represent a greater reality of the love of Pikmin and Olimar but yes you're right, in the form it was given it is rather weak.

These points are slightly better, however the first one again is generic. That's kind of cool how there were only 2 franchises introduced on GCN, but it still doesn't mean much to me (sorry!).
The other one coincidently was Animal Crossing. To be honest it's important because being the only 2 franchises to be able to rep the GC era properly are them, unless characters from games are given their look from games on the GC like WW Link. With AC getting all the attention it is at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pikmin getting some love too.

I don't remember exactly how long I played for, but if I remember it right there was a 30 day sort of thing and I got to day 27. I think I remember that I recovered almost all of his spaceship thing as well..

My description for him as an assist trophy was under the mentality that he's puny, and the Pikmin are a gathered army of tiny creatures. The reason I didn't say throw is because when I pictured it, there were many Pikmin involved. I imagine it similar to the Beedrill or Unown (I'm not sure if that's how you spell it) pokeballs.
As for the Pikmin being made of dirt, you misinterpreted me. "fling themselves around like little shards of hardened clumps of dirt."
I said "like" clumps of dirt.
Also, it took me about 3 seconds to think up, so don't be so hard on me.

I wasn't writing anybody off. I'm not one of those people who thinks my opinion is of authority. You need not get so offended.
Ah I was taking it as your understanding on how the pikmin worked. Sorry for being such an arse, I have a tendency to do that :(. If Olimar (God forbid) was implemented as an AT I'd like to a huge line of Pikmin run out from the side of the screen to Olimar who starts rapidly throwing them in all directions, which then like bounce off foes for damage. It did seem as if you were writing him off because you'd feel uncomfortable with him as a playable character and I'd be interested to hear your reasons why. The pikmin would certainly give him the ability to fight like in the games, in Pikmin 2 you can actually use a quite strong 3 punch combo as Olimar which I've knocked out the bigger Bulbmin with (those big bug things), and size isn't an issue since proper scaling works wonders.

Again, sorry to seem like a hater.
Again, sorry to have been an arse. Olimar is my number 1 for Brawl so I get a little bit defensive. :x

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Sakurai DOES what Miyamoto says the reason there wasn't a good 1P in melee was because Miyamoto wanted him to focus on the multiplayer.

And seeing as this is one of Miyamoto's most loved franchises all it would takes is "Sakurai put Olimar in brawl" "Ok!" but im not even mentioning all the other reasons... o might as well.

1. He is one of Nintendo's newer franchises
2. His franchise is quite popular
3. It is soon to get a sequel
4. Er... 4th space for rent!

I would like to hear your reasons as to why he shouldn't be in because im quite curious.

Shuma

Smash Hero
I don't like Fail Pikmim, i don't like Olimar, do i really care if he's in the game? not really.

And for the 4th, Lego.

4th:Better than Waluigi.

That's always obvious.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
he dislikes him only because he didn't like the game. you really shouldn't look at characters that way. you should look at them and wonder "Can this character have what it takes to fight in brawl."

I mean Wario isn't a character i really enjoy, but i still see something unique in him. Olimar has that, and loads more with his Pikmin

Vali

Smash Ace
he dislikes him only because he didn't like the game. you really shouldn't look at characters that way. you should look at them and wonder "Can this character have what it takes to fight in brawl."

I mean Wario isn't a character i really enjoy, but i still see something unique in him. Olimar has that, and loads more with his Pikmin
In this guy's defence, he never actually said that he wouldn't be a playable character, just said that he "wouldn't want him to be playable" and that isn't the same as saying that he won't or shouldn't be playable. If a player doesn't like a game and the characters involved and his opinion is that he wouldn't want him playable that's fine, as long as you don't step over that line where you start using the opinion as a fact that said character shouldn't be included.

I don't really like Wario either and in my perfect Brawl roster he wouldn't be on there either despite being able to bring unique "features" to the table, but I too can appreciate the reasons why he's included.

thehowielife

Smash Cadet
I don't like Fox, there I said it...
He flies a ship and fights with a frog, a bird and bunny. He made a female fox turn against him and he's useless, just useless. imo

But he's ****in sweet in Smash, as are they all...as is Wario...as IS Olimar!
I agree with you 100%!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom