• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

gravy

Smash Ace
The most noticeable things I can say are mostly related to execution. You just need to get your falcon much faster. I suggest practicing tech skill in a time chamber with the speed racer theme song on loop.
For real though, just work on some edgeguarding tech skill, like getting to the ledge as fast as possible and doing any aerial from it you want, including bair and uair regrabs. Also, work on yea readying out of shield more, you were kind of spamming shield grab and be started to punish you pretty badly for it. Against good players, you barely ever get a shiel grab, so get very good at your other options.

killazys

Smash Cadet

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I'm so bad. Please help. From watching, I've noticed I need to get more grabs and roll less frequently. Problem is, I know these two things already and I just can't figure out how to actually incorporate them when I'm playing. Tips there would be really appreciated, also basically specific things to do/look out for. Thanks..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaD_RAEQhyU&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWye3Z9LrGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qsm2wuPjMU&feature=youtu.be
I noticed a lot right after you would hit with a N-Air that you would go for a Knee every time. He sheilds then grabs. You could ho for a grab.

Crescent Monkey

Smash Apprentice
I'm not exactly what you would call "good", but since nobody else is responding, I figure I'll throw in my two cents.

Vs Marth

It looked like you were at your best when Marth approached you. Falcon's dashdance is the best in the game, and whenever you got patient and started using it, you got a grab. Secondly, Marth got alot of grabs when you were just throwing out aerials in his face. Be patient and utilise your dashdance, and you'll find yourself getting more grabs, and having to roll less, at least vs Marth.

Vs Fox

I noticed that you literally never went for a techchase regrab on reaction. You went for the hard read every time. Hard reads are great, but they only work once you know how your opponent techs. If he doesnt tech, jab reset on reaction -> dashdance grab. The goal is to techchase regrab until you figure out what tech your opponent is going to do next, then go for the super sexy hard read death combo, or if he's at high enough percent, you could just regrab till uthrow fsmash/knee percents. It looked to me like you were trying to use aerials on reaction to where fox went, but that doesnt work. 90% of the time, he just shielded it and grabbed you, or rolled away from your pressure.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
From a friendly smashfest. I play red falcon. I want to know the goods and bads.

http://www.twitch.tv/greenlightlive/b/461034555?t=4h20m55s

The good: Your tech skill is pretty solid. Did not notice too many technical flubs.

The bad: You roll way too much. I think this gets better after the first match, but in general I notice a lack of comfort with your other OOS options. Falcon sucks OOS, so getting a solid OOS game is almost crucial (or you could opt to just shield less). Also, from what I can tell, you cannot convert to save your life. First game, you got a lot of stray nair hits, almost no grabs, and no combo from either nairs or grabs or whatnot. Second game, you get a few solid combos off of dairs, but again you are playing against Fox and it shouldn't just be one big combo per game, you should be murdering Fox off of stray hits as best you can because otherwise you get ****ed.

Convert nairs or other aerials into grab. Grab into tech-chases. Tech-chases into stocks.

The eh: Your approaches are interesting. You nair a lot, which not bad in of itself, just make sure to remember that when you throw out nairs, you are trying to serve a purpose other than just throwing out attacks. That said, your spacing on the nairs was not bad as far as I could tell, just that you did not start up much from any of your nairs. In the first game, you rolled a lot after your nairs (and rolled a lot in general, controller malfunction?). It can work occasionally as a defensive mixup, but don't do it that often and instead try going for nair -> grab more or nair -> jab pressure/gentleman. If you're using nair as an offensive tool, try staying on the offensive. Only roll when you are very confident they are going to try to hard punish you for something.

http://www.twitch.tv/irregularjinny/b/458538529 2:30:00
The matches go on for a long time, so watch as much as you like.
I need some general tips, especially with peach.

I do screw around a bit, but it has to be entertaining too ;p

Gonna give you the same criticism that most people gave old-school Silent Wolf, you have great tech skill but it doesn't seem like you know how to really fully utilize its potential. Your move placement/spacing is kinda eh, your dashdancing is a bit lackluster, and your overally ability to avoid getting hit, baiting and punishing, and spacing/timing moves to shut down options looks like it could use some work. Put a little bit more thinking into what kind of options Peach has at any given moment and either try to shut them down or bait one that you can punish. Good example is the desperation nair Peach's like to go for. Don't just run/jump into them, dash near them to avoid getting hit and punishing the after-lag. Be aware of potential spot-dodge -> dsmash shenanigans and whatnot.

Having said all that, I liked some of the crazier technical stuff your Falcon did. Quite creative, and I always like see people try fresh options I wouldn't have thought of before. Improve your basics and your creativity could take you a long way.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Gonna give you the same criticism that most people gave old-school Silent Wolf, you have great tech skill but it doesn't seem like you know how to really fully utilize its potential. Your move placement/spacing is kinda eh, your dashdancing is a bit lackluster, and your overally ability to avoid getting hit, baiting and punishing, and spacing/timing moves to shut down options looks like it could use some work. Put a little bit more thinking into what kind of options Peach has at any given moment and either try to shut them down or bait one that you can punish. Good example is the desperation nair Peach's like to go for. Don't just run/jump into them, dash near them to avoid getting hit and punishing the after-lag. Be aware of potential spot-dodge -> dsmash shenanigans and whatnot.

Having said all that, I liked some of the crazier technical stuff your Falcon did. Quite creative, and I always like see people try fresh options I wouldn't have thought of before. Improve your basics and your creativity could take you a long way.

Thanks for the tips! Glad you liked some of my moves ^^ I'm still pretty new to the game so I try to explore and experiment alot. Sometimes I just switch off my brain and start pressing buttons though... Especially after losing 10 games in a row xD

Windrose

Smash Lord

i only saw 1 match and then it was a marth ditto on dreamland.

try to dash dance more, you're jumping in with aerials from too far a distance. vs marth dash dancing well is important so keep working on that. upairs are better than nairs for comboing whenever possible, there was a time or two where you got a raptor boost but you tried to nair. sometimes you might have to nair at low percents where you can't up air, but most of the time if you can up air, use up air for comboing.

beware of coming down with stomps from above your opponent. it's very bad and can be easily punished, it can work sometimes if they don't expect it but you should rarely depend on this because of how dangerous it is. infact, coming down with any aerial is usually pretty dangerous, just try to land on the ground instead and regain your control on the ground instead of trying to hit them with something.

there was a time when you u-throw ken at 75 and chose to bair into another bair. you should just knee at that percent. u-throw knee is guaranteed on marth at those percents .

there was a time when you up aired after raptor boost and could've grabbed afterwards. usually if they di away (combo di) on the up air, you won't be able to get another hit in, but you can usually follow them and try to grab them or tech chase regrab them if they hit the ground before you get to grab.

anyways those are just some small things, just mainly work on your spacing and dash dancing so you don't get hit or throw out poorly spaced moves too much. Improving on fundamentals will make big leaps forward for you.

CaptainFabulous

Smash Cadet
Thanks, yeah it was just that one match xD most of the other matches I get destroyed. Thanks for the critique I'll try to keep what you said in mind next time I play him :)

gravy

Smash Ace
Summit, your falcon looks pretty solid, but you have some issues with how you handle stage control. I'm pretty sure at 1:19 you launch an uair at him and put yourself against the edge doing it. Another example is 4:09, you attack out of a bad position instead of gaining center stage really easily. The goal is to establish the spacing that allows you to exert the same threats while keeping yourself safe. Falcon hates being near the ledge

Zhea, I have to say I'm not a fan of the first hit nair use. It's great that you can use it to pseudo combo into grab sometimes, but you also got wrecked for doing it into a crouch cancel more than once. Try to use it to bait out crouch cancel spam and punish their next action. Also, you have to get better at adapting to what your opponent is doing defensively. Look how many times you tried to tech chase regrab that fox and he just spams spotdodge on wake up like every low to mid level fox does. Just make the simple adjustment of tech chasing him with delayed knees and you'll DESTROY. That spotdodge. Falcon lives off punishing bad habits like that, and once you start doing it consistently you'll see how free it is.

Aggromidget

Smash Apprentice
Some Friendlies I played recently was wondering if I can get some feed back:
Personally, I love single hit n-air, but I find that double hit n-airs would have been better in a lot of the situations you were in. I'd have to say that you go with it say 3/4 or 4/5 times (most of the time). I reckon you should do more double hit n-airs, space the occasional late b-air at times can catch them thinking that you're running away.
Also, learn the jump-cancel grab technique. Simple, and reduces lag on grab attempt.
Use platforms more in the neutral game. You mainly dash dance in the neutral game, so he can expect you to continue doing so in the neutral game. Change your angle of attack. When you're on them, you can drop down with those single hit n-airs you love.
I find that when you stop moving, the fox jumps onto you.
When you get a hit, I've seen that you've had the chance for grabs, and grabs mean tech chase regrab. They're on the defensive until after they tech, which can be reacted to. What you do is n-air, more n-air. Sometimes a knee comes out. If it misses, it's back to a neutral game. Grabs are good.
Okay, watching some more, I've realised your neutral game. You dash dance, and at some point, you run at them when a single hit n-air. Rinse and repeat. You don't CONTROL SPACE. I recommend using short hop (jumping forwards or backwards a LITTLE bit) double hit n-air, which controls the space in front of you. I think that's basic falcon, and what I've gathered from watching Hax's neutral game.
The running single hit n-air isn't baad, and it is hitting, but after the attack, you don't continue. You stand for a split second, which can be used for another aerial/GRAB...
Also, you jump off stage for edge guard to much. Stomp/b-air at edge is sufficient. So many deaths to you jumping off stage. Falcon has a predictable/slow recovery.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Kikki the no-brain-big-balls Falcon here getting ***** by Tombers IC's from the latest Danish tournament. Gonna post the rest of my matches here later. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

http://youtu.be/dmVKeKQDY6U

Aggromidget

Smash Apprentice
Tried to take some of your advice into account. Here is some matches of me against Smiles, best peach in SA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJkNhAPBP1M. What do you think? I'll try and get some of me at WHOBO soon.
Watched the first 3 matches.
Will comment on neutral game, not on combos/ move choice.
Wavedash out of shield to get out of shield pressure. Keep moving.
Don't jump off stage to edge guard. Whenever you go off, i hold my breath. nearly asphyxiated. Falcon has a predictable recovery. sometimes it works. the b-air is usually very good, but you could just do it on the stage.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Kikki the no-brain-big-balls Falcon here getting ***** by Tombers IC's from the latest Danish tournament. Gonna post the rest of my matches here later. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

http://youtu.be/dmVKeKQDY6U

Your first 1-2 stocks on Yoshi's weren't too bad. Shouldn't a fast-falled that knee on Nana though, it was an excellent kill but you coulda woulda shoulda lived.

Afterwards, it kinda fell apart. Us falcons love going ballz deep, but we often get rocked for it, and this does doubly for someone like IC's.

This is a great time to work on running immediately out of aerials. Probably is even a good time to buffer rolls out of aerials. Seriously, if you whiff something, your goal should be to GTFO ASAP and avoid that grab. Maybe if you're feeling confident and your whiff is kind of in middle ground between safe and unsafe, you can try fsmash/over-b and use the pull-back to dodge an incoming grab and punish (only done if you have REASONABLE EVIDENCE that they will go for a grab that won't land).

Tomber is ruthless. At least when Wobbles roflstomps people in pools, he tries to do it in style.

gravy

Smash Ace
Alright zhea, here's what I've got. Good light shields, and good job outplaying him mentally at certain parts, like when he was dsmashing in the tree and you kept waiting and uairing. Now, if you're going to ledge hope aerial as often, you need to either delay it more so you can get brutal combos off your uair or use more ledge hop knee/nair so you represent different threats. You also don't have a strong conversion game yet, especially off stray nair hits. You have to figure out how you can convert it into knee and stuff, you know as well as I do that you're missing a ton of knees right now, figure out how to use full hop, short hop, and double jump to get anywhere you need to be. You need to use WAY more instant uairs, it's out fastest aerial and arguably our most brutal on peach. You had tons of opportunities to do it out of throws and stuff that you missed. Last, but not least, please try to reverse sweet spot your up b more. If peach is going to dair over and over again you should at least try going for it once, it can avoid a lot of stuff. Keep working on it bro, you're doing better and better.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice guys. Got about 3 tournaments coming up around the corner, so hopefully I'll improve some more between now and then. Probably not at the first one, because I run that one. Also yeah Gravy, I need to go back to practicing some Falcon tech basics. It's gotten harder and harder to get a solid hit in neutral. I got some more games vs SA's 2 best Marths, but I think I've got the feed back I need from my matches with Smiles. Also need to relearn shield dropping AGAIN. I hate how controller dependent it is. Guess I should learn the real way this time.

S l o X

Smash Champion
i'm gonna get some friendlies recorded today.

maybe you can guys pick apart all my bad habits and help me develop some better ones.

S l o X

Smash Champion
nah, it never happened sadly. i'm going to some tourney on sunday and we're playing saturday too so hopefully i can then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUfBu-4uOx8
^ the most recent sets i've played. me vs dj reno and moon are there. besides my absolutely terrible OOS game, what other terrible choices am i making?

it hurts to watch vs dj since i think i played terrible but a lot of it is telling of what i generally do wrong.

SAUS

Smash Ace
nah, it never happened sadly. i'm going to some tourney on sunday and we're playing saturday too so hopefully i can then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUfBu-4uOx8
^ the most recent sets i've played. me vs dj reno and moon are there. besides my absolutely terrible OOS game, what other terrible choices am i making?

it hurts to watch vs dj since i think i played terrible but a lot of it is telling of what i generally do wrong.
I feel like you are good enough that you would know what to improve on - you're freaking good man. It's hard to find mistakes in games where you win so badly lol so this is mostly coming from the set vs DJ.
- You roll a lot, which is fine, but I think there are some times where it is not safe and you get punished.
- It looks like you do a lot of run-in and bait (run in and shield for example) which works against some people, but DJ seemed to just wait and shielding put you at a disadvantage.
- Tech chase spacies with grabs more since hard reads are inconsistent.
- There was one tech chase where you crouched and tried to down-tilt, but if you didn't crouch, you could turn around and get him. You could still crouch in time to down-tilt if he missed the tech or teched on the spot, but by not crouching, you leave your options open.
- I feel like you were a little over-aggressive against DJ. Sometimes it's good to give yourself some space and change up your pattern.

All this stuff is hard and your falcon is way better than mine (I don't even main falcon D:), so if something sounds dumb or condescending, it's not meant to be. Hopefully this helps somehow.

heisenberg__

Smash Rookie
alright here it goes.

so i am relatively new to competitive smash, been doing it for probably 2ish months now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7lRNRLI75k

here is a match played against my friend, a little bit into the video is when im feeling more warmed. also this was about a week ago which i know isn't much but after re-watching it i definitely think i could've played it alot better now. anyways though, i would still love any feedback on my gameplay. anything that you think would help me out or you think i need to hear i will work on and try to implement into my game. thanks alot guys!

Top Bottom