• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.::Captain Douglas Falcon::.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
I was just messing around after a desynch in teams, broke my own shield on the right edge of Hyrule to see if I'd fall off like you do on the left. My teammate came over and Falcon Punched me, and I somehow ledge di'd it and went only a medium distance almost straight up, at over 100%. And I was just holding toward the stage, might have tapped once toward the stage when I got hit.

Single-input SDI for surviving Falcon Punch on a ledge, or did that just happen because knockback and funky ledge physics, since I was right at the edge?

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing falcon now and don't know where to improve at. I can get a few combos off here and there but none 0-death. I can pull them off in training mode easily, but its getting them off in actual battles that is hard. When i start at weird % I never know where to take the combo.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
keep playing and ask for falcon dittos, possibly record and observe your own matches, watch pros etc

if you just want to win, when in doubt, just hit them off with like n-air or something and edgeguard

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I've been playing falcon now and don't know where to improve at. I can get a few combos off here and there but none 0-death. I can pull them off in training mode easily, but its getting them off in actual battles that is hard. When i start at weird % I never know where to take the combo.
playing level 9s will help with this i think (although real players are obviously much better)

The Star King

Smash Hero
I hate comboing level 9s because they DI everything up (I think) and don't mix it up, but maybe that's just me.

Hooray you should go to training mode and learn general combo strings that work. Don't memorize entire zero-to-death combos, just learn things strings of a few moves that... generally work. I don't know how else to put it. But it'll come with experience.

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
I recently had the same problem, you just really need to keep playing, everyone is gonna say it but its true. You just gotta keep playing like aussie said falcon dittos help alot to watch how people approach

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
Ok since i see to be one of the only new people constantly posting on the falcon board.... Can someone enlighten me on how you practice falcon by yourself. I've just been doing some combos on light characters and a few heavy. Also practice alot of dash pivots.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
the only things you can practice by yourself are techskill, combos and confirms

grind it out for the first two, play computers for the last

asianaussie

Smash Hero
basic things like short hops and fastfall-edge-regrabs, pivot edgegrabs, short hop u-airs, pivot-falloff-u-airs, sweetspotting up-bs, up-b edge cancels

make sure you learn how to pivot to the right, it's the most essential thing in falcon's game

confirms are where you get a random hit in spacing (usually b-air with falcon) and you turn that into a short (or long) combo, changing depending on what percentage the opponent is at, if they're in their shield, whatever

Battlecow

Play to Win
I saw that

Someday you'll come to America and actually have time for smash

and I'm going to kill you with fthrow->pivot to the right->aerial every time

ballin4life

Smash Hero
i like to play level 9s to practice combos. you can more easily get variety in location / percentage, compared with training mode.

youtube "alancitu practicing combos on cpu" for examples of manipulating CPU position and then doing a combo

level 9s do DI a little bit (in weird ways). learning to adapt to an actual player's DI is important but can only be done really through playing actual people (who DI)

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
At higher levels, you can usually expect a certain kind of DI in some situations, as opposed to adapting on the fly to which direction your opponent is moving in. For example, since both boom and I know the general DI for escaping Falcon's uair chain, he'll consistently adjust his position while uairing me to keep me in the combo.

(It's annoying and I wish I could do it back to him.)

The Star King

Smash Hero
"Expecting a certain kind of DI" doesn't get the job done any better so the point is moot. It's easy to react to DI with Falcon (though sometimes you're forced to utilize fastfall uairs so you gotta be proficient at those), and I believe Boomfan is just reacting.

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
Ok so this is gonna sound 100% noob, but how do i know if i can DI successfully, cause i dont alwasy DI when i know im doing it right

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why knowing exactly how your opponent will DI wouldn't help you more than reacting.

The Real Sykes said:
Ok so this is gonna sound 100% noob, but how do i know if i can DI successfully, cause i dont alwasy DI when i know im doing it right
Do you mean how do you which situations you can DI in, or how do you know whether you're doing it right? Doing it right is evidenced by moving in a different direction than usual when you're sent flying, or your character making a slight jump in position. You can't DI out of everything (most things you just can't), so don't use that to judge unless you know it's something you can get out of. As for situations...well, you can DI anything. Away is usually a good option for basic hits, except when trying to survive at high percent, when you want down and especially towards. Certain moves, like drills (including Samus's UpB), you'll want to learn specific ways to DI.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
basic things like short hops and fastfall-edge-regrabs, pivot edgegrabs, short hop u-airs, pivot-falloff-u-airs, sweetspotting up-bs, up-b edge cancels

make sure you learn how to pivot to the right, it's the most essential thing in falcon's game

confirms are where you get a random hit in spacing (usually b-air with falcon) and you turn that into a short (or long) combo, changing depending on what percentage the opponent is at, if they're in their shield, whatever
Are there any videos available of these tech skills? I don't understand what u mean by pivot to the right, pivot-falloff-u-airs, and up-b edge cancels. What are these, how do i practice them, and when do you utilize them?

thx =P

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Are there any videos available of these tech skills? I don't understand what u mean by pivot to the right, pivot-falloff-u-airs, and up-b edge cancels. What are these, how do i practice them, and when do you utilize them?

thx =P
Hey, do you want to log on to Galaxy and play some kinda teaching matches or something? I can explain that stuff really well by demonstrating it.

basic things like [...] up-b edge cancels

How are UpB ledge cancels basic? I have no idea how to do them, and I've only seen it done twice in every 64 video I've ever watched. Also, why is pivoting to the right more essential than to the left? I have more trouble with it myself for some reason, but its usefulness us exactly the same as to the left, only in mirrored situations.

aa, if you do know a consistent timing for the UpB cancel, can you teach it to me? It looks pretty cool.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
How are UpB ledge cancels basic? I have no idea how to do them, and I've only seen it done twice in every 64 video I've ever watched. Also, why is pivoting to the right more essential than to the left? I have more trouble with it myself for some reason, but its usefulness us exactly the same as to the left, only in mirrored situations.

aa, if you do know a consistent timing for the UpB cancel, can you teach it to me? It looks pretty cool.
up-b ledge cancels weren't included in 'basic things', the list took me like 20 seconds to think out, sorry if it was unclear

up-b ledge cancels are a matter of practice and 'feel', for lack of a better word, there's no point in putting it to muscle memory since falcon is vulnerable the entire time

if i can get link's edge cancels like 30-50% of the time without any practice, then falcon's shouldn't be significantly harder

pivoting to the right is not more useful or anything, both pivots are useful regardless of where you start, im just making a jab at battlecow because making fun of his inability to consistently pivot right is the flavour of the month

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so pivoting to the right was a joke? I thought it might have been.

Seriously, though, does anyone actually know how to UpB cancel with Falcon? "Second jump and UpB at the ledge" hasn't helped me so far. "Feel," while in fact useful for a lot of Falcon stuff, doesn't seem to cut it either.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i was talking about sliding off from the up-b helpless animation and being able to use your second jump again

not that ridiculous 1-frame 1/2-pixel up-b autograb, which is usually edgeguardable anyway

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
It's harder for me to do with Falcon than with my main, Fox, but usually it's situational. When I'm at "(X,Y)" position in the air, I know I can try to go for the ledge to cancel the lag. Practice it with the bottom platforms of DL.

I just thought of something. Do you mean "UpB Cancel" like "UpB Sweetspot" like Ness? I think I read about that somewhere in the index.

Edit: Beat by 5 minutes. =/

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Oh, okay. That's defintiely more "basic" than the bull**** ledge-grab cancel.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I just thought of something. Do you mean "UpB Cancel" like "UpB Sweetspot" like Ness? I think I read about that somewhere in the index.
I don't think I've seen it in the index. I mentioned it in the simple facts thread and there was a post (or a vid?) by House, I can't find it though, if I do, I'll link it.

that ridiculous 1-frame 1/2-pixel up-b autograb, which is usually edgeguardable anyway
Best way to put it. This technique isn't something one should train, it's really too hard to be performed consistantly (and not useful in addition).

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, it's called the "Dive Cancel". Bottom of page 18. And to be fair, teleporting is a glitch, but it can also be an AT (although probably more useful than this falcon thing).

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yes because teleporting has a use. That "Dive cancel" has no use and is impossible to do on purpose. It is even dumber than including Pika's double vertical UpB. By the way, I couldn't find the doc in the index, that's why I didn't check.

:phone:

kys

Smash Ace
A fastfalled single hit fair takes a lot of people by surprise. You have to be quick though, cuz the hitstun is minimal.

The Star King

Smash Hero
yeah that's Falcon's hardest match-up

vs Kirby I try to approach with dair in a way to catch them OFF GUARD so they won't UTILT me

and then do a fthrow combo

and get your edgeguards, double jump tipper uair to cover going high and use bairs or ledgehop tipper uair or ftilt or something to cover going mid, low recoveries should be free with dtilt or dair or whatever

fsmashes are pretty cool for outranging, especially after a pivot, but sometimes RISKY

DI utilts up to minimize punishment

don't be Battlecow and just dash grab and then complain about the match-up on Smashboards :troll:

complain after my advice doesn't work :troll:

Top Bottom