• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.::Captain Douglas Falcon::.

Battlecow

Play to Win
horis can and do wear out

they last a lot longer than n64 sticks tho, I still recommend them.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only person in existence who plays with a Gamecube controller?

Anyway,
SuPeRbOoM said:
you gotta remember that kirby can dash pivot uptilt and continue the combo
But if you're good enough at side ****ing, you should go for it. Most Kirbies are not exactly expecting to have to do anything to recapture you, they're expecting to just nair/bair/fair/swallow/soulbreaker/whatever you when you're high enough.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Noob question: What's the best way to recover on a pikachu who edgeguards by just standing on the ledge and using down-B?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
im assuming you mean the blue aura and not the thunderbolt

recover high, or if that's not possible, use your up-b so that you don't immediately go the ledge, and instead drift towards the ledge once you're at the highest point of the up-b - stay outside the range of the blue aura for as long as possible, basically

you'll probably die anyway, that's how it is for falcon vs pika

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
don't forget to ledge di regardless of what you do in case you get hit anyway. that might save you especially at lower percents when you can recover fast, then up-b again during pikachu's long cool-down time.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
A Pikachu would generally want to edgeguard with fsmash and not Thunder. If Falcon is too high for fsmash, the Pika can/should just nair, bair, or carry with uair, and then lol.

I'd count myself lucky if a Pikachu tried to edgeguard me with Thunder. Falcon has good maneuverability with Dive, so you can probably do what asianaussie said and outlast the ground hitbox. If the Pikachu was waiting to Thunder you at the last second, you would just grab with the up-B.

Also never forget that you can fastfall at the ledge when necessary. I'm sure native 64 players don't need reminding, but I do sometimes.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, UpB never ever teleports through fsmash. Maybe a perfect sweetspot could avoid fsmash but not Thunder, but fsmash is easier to time, has less cooldown, etc.

If you're coming from above and the Pikachu uses Thunder, Falcon Punch them.

The Star King

Smash Hero
What are you people talking about when you say "teleport"

The auto-sweetspot thing that I have never seen outside of TAS?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i have encountered the auto-sweetspot in two different matches against two different australians...or maybe it was pete twice idk

get on our level, america

The Star King

Smash Hero
i have encountered the auto-sweetspot in two different matches against two different australians...or maybe it was pete twice idk

get on our level, america
We're not weird enough to do that ****

We'll never get on your level in that regard

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
UUDDLRLRBAStart to auto-sweetspot.

I saw it in one of the Tacna vids, but it didn't look particularly intentional.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
So, I've been under the impression of two things:
1. double-jump uair makes falcon go a little bit higher
2. his slanted jump makes it easier to perform double uairs

I think they're off, but I don't trust my tests. Can anyone confirm these?

Sangoku

Smash Master
1. Higher than what? If you mean the fact of performing a Uair makes him go higher with his second jump, then it's false.
2. Easy is subjective, maybe it's easier for you to time, but in terms of frames windows, side jumping is harder, as there's less frames spent in the air. If you've already left the ground before deriving left or right, then it doesn't change anything.

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
ok so i have decided to start master falcon online, and i got a few questions to begin with how to people just throw out nair so fast cause when i try to do it i normally throw out a fair or bair because im going in that direction any ideas to make me stop doing it

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yes, release the joystick. Lol I know it sounds dumb, but that's just it. Hold forward, release, press a, push forward. And if you want my personal advice, forget about Nair for starting with Falcon.

Twilight Sparkle

I don't play Luigi/DK/Samus much
I'd say so. I found him easy to pick up as a beginner... fast, easy starter combos, the works. Now mastering... that's another story.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I've started with Falcon, so have a lot of people I guess. I was adviced to do so and I'll advise it myself. I think it's really good to start with falcon, because he's somewhat easy, but won't make you take too much bad habit (unlike pika or kirby). Especially because his game revolves around combos, you'll get into the way the game should be played. And since his basic combos are really easy, you won't have too much trouble entering into this way of play (unlike fox for example).

:phone:

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
I've started with Falcon, so have a lot of people I guess. I was adviced to do so and I'll advise it myself. I think it's really good to start with falcon, because he's somewhat easy, but won't make you take too much bad habit (unlike pika or kirby). Especially because his game revolves around combos, you'll get into the way the game should be played. And since his basic combos are really easy, you won't have too much trouble entering into this way of play (unlike fox for example).

sounds good. any hints to become more fluent with starting combos right now im doing bair to grab, fthrow and uair chains. i just need some help with a 0 to death combos. If i get a grab with falcon pretty much the person should be dead.

Twilight Sparkle

Well here's one if the opponent is near the edge and you're somewhere in the middle of the stage. Just approach them, grab to fthrow, either jump or short hop and fair to land two kicks. Double jump to uair while they're recovering and then doug-hug them to finish. If all goes well, the combo ends somewhere between the stage and the side of the playing area, enough to send them out and for you to recover back on the stage with another upb.
Annddd... can't find a video on it quite yet.

meowmeowrainbowkitty

Smash Apprentice
Well here's one if the opponent is near the edge and you're somewhere in the middle of the stage. Just approach them, grab to fthrow, either jump or short hop and fair to land two kicks. Double jump to uair while they're recovering and then doug-hug them to finish. If all goes well, the combo ends somewhere between the stage and the side of the playing area, enough to send them out and for you to recover back on the stage with another upb.
Annddd... can't find a video on it quite yet.
1:59 of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblGsqhP62w&feature=plcp

Also.. this vid was made back when we were naive, so we (read: I) keep getting killed. If a person DI's the first hit of the fair, they might get out of the combo.

Edit:
Has anyone noted anything screwy with falcon's recovery? I was playing dittos and got sent off in a super-weird trajectory by the up-b. We were just a little bit off the left side of the stage of dreamland, facing stage at 1st platform height, and I got sent towards the middle of the stage by the upb (think..down and towards the right) rather than up and towards the right.

Twilight Sparkle

1:59 of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblGsqhP62w&feature=plcp

Also.. this vid was made back when we were naive, so we (read: I) keep getting killed. If a person DI's the first hit of the fair, they might get out of the combo.

Edit:
Has anyone noted anything screwy with falcon's recovery? I was playing dittos and got sent off in a super-weird trajectory by the up-b. We were just a little bit off the left side of the stage of dreamland, facing stage at 1st platform height, and I got sent towards the middle of the stage by the upb (think..down and towards the right) rather than up and towards the right.
Thanks for finding an example!
*Side note: Really don't see why more people simply can't combo with jiggs. She's so easy to combo with.

As for the trajectory... do you remember the % you were at?

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
So, Firo asked a question on one of my videos about why his Falcon didn't get hit by one of my Fox's lasers at the very beginning of the match. This might be common knowledge, but I thought it was cool nonetheless. I went frame by frame in Movie Maker looking at the video, and here's what I found.

Fox starts to shoot a very low laser. It looks like it's as low as it can be, but don't quote me on that. Falcon is doing a bair that is about to be z-canceled.

Falcon z-cancels and is transitioning into what looks like a crouch animation as the laser first comes out.

The "crouch" animation:

The laser seemingly passing through a standing Falcon:

It looks like the laser for Fox's hitbox is just short enough for Falcon to not get hit. Here's the hitbox .gif of Fox's laser for reference:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4931/foxb.gif

Also, it's at the beginning of this video if you want to watch the whole thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YCHds5UB60&feature=plcp

The Real Sykes

Smash Apprentice
Wow thats pretty damn weird solo.

So i know im new and people really dont give a crap that im posting, but im trying to get alot better been playing online alot trying to improve. And i have a few things that i was wondering if people can help me out.

1. My approach to every character sucks, people just read me and instantly react to everything i do and i cant help it i dont know how to change this. I dash dance, into a bair or nair, and i still get wrecked.

2. I can combo somewhat fluently against heavier characters but when it comes to playing against mario/luigi/kirby/pika omg it looks like im a prepubescent boy trying to talk to a girl.

3. Can anyone tell me what to do to improve. Also if anyone out there has played me online tell me what you think i need to change about my play style, my name on the galaxy is Sykes.

reallyfastcar

Smash Apprentice
Can someone show me a good falcon combo against samus.
He goes up to high after grab.
Up Smash is alright but...

ballin4life

Smash Hero
@The Real Sykes
1. instead of approaching where they are, approach a few feet in front of that, then dash back dash forward grab.

or just keep practicing

2. uair uair uair uair uair uair uair upB. works pretty well against pika and usually against kirby. mario and luigi are tougher

3. keep practicing. post videos and people can give more specific advice

@reallyfastcar

grab doesn't lead into much, but uair chains work fine if you can get that first uair in (it's just that you can't grab -> uair as easily as on other characters)

SSBPete

Smash Lord
fake approaches, don't just blindly jump in

@rfc, prince has a couple falcon on samus combos in his all character combo vid. they are certainly not standard, though. infact one starts with a dtilt and ends in a falcon punch and the other has a wall bounce on dream land.

Top Bottom