• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.::Captain Douglas Falcon::.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
And I know that the conversation took place years ago, but Link can be Fthrow > Falcon Pawnched at 55%

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Sometimes its best just to press the B button and see what happens. It either hits or it doesn't. 50/50 chance of autokill, why don't more people use falcon punch randomly?

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
In 64, it's lethal to be punished by a lot of moves, for a lot of moves. If you whiff a grab and get grabbed, you may well be dead. There's no huge risk in throwing out a random aerial Falcon Punch compared to any other move... It's not like Melee or Brawl where you miss an attack with huge cooldown and eating 35% to a charged smash is a huge deal.

Yes, Falcon Punch is a terrible move. But hey, it's unpunishable on block!

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea, chances of getting punished on any move are 50/50 too. You either get punished or you don't. Seems like random falcon punches are the ultimate metagame.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Random AERIAL Falcon punches.

Seriously, when was the last time you got punished for throwing one of those babies out?

Yobolight

Smash Lord
If you need ideas how to sneak in a Falcon Punch look at the lvl 9 CPUs they do stuff like full hop over your head while reverse Falcon punching in stuff. Actually sometimes gets me.

Also Clubba, your conception of probabilities is confused. Just because it either does or doesn't hit doesn't mean there is a 50% chance of that being the case.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
What do you mean? It either hits or it doesn't, must be 50/50

I get paid a lot of money to do engineering all day, I think I know my probability!

mixa

Banned via Warnings
how2: DI Doug's uair? aka Battlecow how did you DI ballin's juggles in that match. Is it down? is it down + downleft + downright?

Battlecow

Play to Win
well it's real dependent

and I got out of maybe like two combos that entire time lol my DI was not that good (AKA ballin was only impressed because he's used to CPU DI and West coast DI)

most of the time you just eat the combo and die and smile. BUT there are ways to get out of it.

if you're low % slightly above a plat (thing pika/ness getting fthrow->SH uair'd from 0 on DL) DI down hard and you'll be able to tech before the next one comes out.

At certain hard to describe times when you're sort of right directly above them, strong DI behind will cause a lot of players to uair you at a 45 on the next one instead of straight up and you can escape. But if they're near the ground they can just land, turn around and then continue.

DI'ing hard out or hard up basically never works but that's what I normally do anyways. Maybe it makes them up-B one uair early sometimes

you can also DI out to position yourself just off the stage so they'll dair you instead of finishing some other way and then strong DI in will save you. But that's super gimmicky and situational and has worked like twice in my life ever

basically you're dead

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i remember talking with jimmyjoe during RBR about falcon's uair types. we all know the beginning to the top the opponent goes upwards, a bit past the top goes forwards ("tipper") and on the way backward it sends 'em horizontally behind you. i was curious over the reverse aspect of it but didn't think anything of it. today, i hit someone with this part of falcon:

and they went the way of the arrow. i could not for the life of me duplicate this, though, so i'm wondering if anyone can try and hammer out some specifics. i haven't ever seen it done before. could be old news and i'm ignorant of it, but shrug.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah it's old news. I had a video of me doing it, but I took down all of my matches. It's simply a reverse hitbox, like a lot of moves.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah it's just a weird reverse hitbox

It happens once in a while

It would be sick if someone could actually use that ****

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry for not reading the 23 pages in this thread, but, how the **** do you fight vs Samus? I feel like crap losing to the character who is last on the tier list with Falcon. (Yes I understand the tier list only for the highest level of play, but it's a general guide for how good each character has the potential to be to me) She seems almost impossible to get more than 2 or 3 u-air's on, almost like she gets out of stun/combos faster than anyone else. This is a serious problem for me, I can't ****ing stand Samus and I'd rather play a Kirby.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Falcon destroys samus. Yes combos are a bit tougher, but its not like samus is gonna 0-death you either. The big advantage you have is in spacing. Samus doesn't really have a way to do deal with falcon's speed. One non-perfect move from Samus and you should have an opening to attack. Try to bait samus into doing an attack, then follow up with the punish. For example, if you can get samus to whiff a bair above ground, free aerial. whiffing an fsmash, free grab. Use Falcon's bair in the neutral game, Samus has a really tough time out-spacing that.

In terms of combo's, I prefer landing grabs over upsmashes against samus, though grabs are probably harder to get. Off of a low percent grab, a pivot bair or pivot reverse uair can send samus horizontally. If you get in the right situation with the platforms, you can get a good uair chain going, but if not, you can either try to combo horizontally with bair, fair, or nair, or you can spike downward and go for the techchase. I prefer the dair -> techchase. When you know you can hit anymore uairs, and samus is at too low damage for upb to be good, I usually go for the spike, techchase -> grab -> fthrow -> pivot bair/reverse uair. When edgeguarding either hit samus with a bair far offstage, try to trade your dair with her upb, or edgehog. If she grabs the edge, a well-times fsmash is pretty effective when she try's to make her way up.

Again, combo's are difficult, but the spacing is easy. Don't get greedy with the combo's. Its a bad idea to go for an extra hit in the combo, miss it, and give samus an opportunity to punish. Samus will find it hard to get these opportunities in the neutral game, don't hand her freebies. You should always have the upper hand in the neutral game, so its always okay to go back to it instead of going for a risky combo/edgeguard.

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
question: when I use falcon, I rarely press the A button at all except for tilts and smashes. Most of my attacks are R button. Is this normal?
I used to do this, being that you can grab, u-smash, z-cancel and use aerials all with R, which are all you really need to do with falcon. After a while though I alternate between R and A so that I can throw out more ground attacks and also because I find aerials to come out slightly lower with A and higher with R. Might just be in my head though, but at the very least switching from R to A will just your style enough to throw off your opponent at times.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
In terms of combo's, I prefer landing grabs over upsmashes against samus, though grabs are probably harder to get.
Funny you say that, I asked SuperBoom about the match-up during Sweet and he said Falcon's U-Smash is a free kill every time and was the all you needed to win as Falcon against Samus.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Well then I guess I am a noob who can't combo. Usmash works great for me if the platform placement is good, otherwise I have a tough time finishing the combo.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
you can up smash to f-air vs Samus. Works well :0

It's since people go for u-airs only that they have issues vs. Floaters

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
you can get huge damage just from one upsmash. Reaction upsmash can work well when samus whiffs a move, or grab her.

personally I prefer reacting to samus or run up grab for SURPRISE

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Is there a way to 0-death Pika on Dream Land starting with a grab at this position? under side platform facing the edge

If you go a bit forward, you can f-throw -> ... -> Up-B and it will kill.
if you go a bit backwards, you can Uair juggle using the stage/plat and finally spike.
but at that point, I don't know what to do.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
you could either do that, or you might even be able to do a full jump (c or stick not sure maybe both) uair and land on the platform followed by a simple usmash OR a fancier platform drop uair. Remember that the hit box of uair goes in front of falcon quite a long distance.

Top Bottom