• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.::Captain Douglas Falcon::.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
lol I feel dumb now. I tried so many things before posting here, then after I read the answers, even though I had tried them already, I could find a lot of solutions. Somehow this helped, thanks.

Uair juggling works for this, but the simplest solution is probably [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU7e1BzRr94&feature=youtu.be[/URL]this 4 hit combo. And now except for grab facing the edge, at the edge, I know Falcon can 0-death Pika at anywhere on DL with easy, boring-looking combos. (your textbook physics exercises didn't consider air resistance, I am not considering good DI, heh)

I guess the good thing about these training mode sessions is, you always find little stuff to improve on. One thing I found out (might be common knowledge, idk, I don't have many Falcon conversations) is that you can abuse your hug range to make it catch Pika farther in the screen, and thus closer to the end of the blast zone. Normally I'd just hug and hope it was far enough to kill it. But now I can be risky and stuff.[/URL]

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
imma steal that

Yo I need some tips so I can improve on my movement with Falcon. Anything from using moves more easily to moving around the stage faster. Something like pressing down at an angle to do FF bair/fairs, those slide techniques for DJCs, stuff like that. help pls

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yo Combo you better be working on your God Master Kirby match up. Next Apex when I pick you solely to defeat him you're gonna have to come through for me.

Also work on shield dropping through platforms in the middle of a sprint. That'll speed your game up on platform stages.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to think that "crouch, wait for the opponent to be over your head, upsmash" is a highly underrated tactic.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
In my range of consistency, which isn't that good, I can get that pretty consistently. You just have to keep moving forward with the reverse Uair. But if you get too underneath Pika, the reverse will be useless and he'll survive the Dair -- which is what happens if you do that combo with two normal Uairs.

Can you get other solutions consistently?

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
In my range of consistency, which isn't that good, I can get that pretty consistently. You just have to keep moving forward with the reverse Uair. But if you get too underneath Pika, the reverse will be useless and he'll survive the Dair -- which is what happens if you do that combo with two normal Uairs.

Can you get other solutions consistently?
Keep moving forward as in keep moving to the right (based on the vid you linked)?

And no I don't have a better solution to that I was just wondering if it was the kind of thing you would do realistically in a match. I'm far too inconsistent at it to ever use it, I would probably just do some uairs to a dair or fair uair upB and hope my ledgeguarding is good enough. My goal in posting wasn't to say that you shouldn't use it, I was just wondering if you got it enough to actually try in a match. If so, I'll keep practicing.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Yes, as in keep moving to the right.

I would use it in a match, however, I've just started to learn about these stage positions, so it will take time to sink in, in the heat of the match I might forget about it and do some silly combo.

I didn't mean "oh, can u do better then?" it was a legit question on whether you could do other stuff because that's just what I'm comfortable with. You could try these, they might work better for you.

But the two normal Uairs to a Dair is not bad, I think. Pika is pretty low after his second jump. I'd definitely try that just to see how hard it is to edgeguard.

---

@Koro, I don't think the platform is useful at that position. after the f-throw Pika is too far away.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
After dairing a grounded opponent at mid percents, is fsmash, upb, or tipper uair the best follow up? I can't decide.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
probably depends on where they are on the stage/percents, Falcon punch can also combo at certain percents as well

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Zenith 2013 - Falcon Upsmash on Pika

Easy 80-something is nice. Probably. But I kept starring at it and thinking is that all a Falcon can do without going crazy fancy reverse nairs pivot dsmashes?
So, other interesting solutions to do after that combo starter? I came up with Uair -> Reverse Bair -> ... -> Hug. But it's more risk and it'll end up at 95% anyway. Lame.

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
Anyone got tips on how to better incorporate uair to pawnch in my falcon game?

I know that it happens at 70%ish non stale and 90%ish stale on FFers, but it seems like the platforms never match up to let it happen. I play on DL and the best I can do is get a grab around 55% -> running FH uair -> land on low platform -> FH punch, but it's pretty superfluous since you can just land a regular fthrow-punch at that damage anyway.

I've also seen Tavo do crazy stuff like linking quickly double jump fast fall uairs together and finishing with punch, and also fast fall first hit fair -> land -> FH uair -> second jump punch but that looks beyond me.

Basically, anyone got any straightforward combos I can practice that incorporates uair -> land -> punch on DL preferably?

and in response to:
After dairing a grounded opponent at mid percents, is fsmash, upb, or tipper uair the best follow up? I can't decide.
On heavies? Best bet would be Fsmash, because this allows you to set up for an edge guard much faster than Up b and there's no chance you can SH tipper uair until probably 120 or more.

Grounded Dair into punch works around 95-100% for FFers and 60-65% on lighties. Granted its hard to approach with dair if they know you're going for it but make sure you are facing away from them when attempting this, the hit box is just so much better when you're facing away.

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
Wtf. I didn't know that worked
Yep,

Used it on a pika for the last kill of a 2v2 when chilling/drinking smashing all night with a bunch of my friends who are still in the either no z-cancelling or occasional z-cancelling and excessive rolling metagame.

They were kinda impressed.

Kinda interesting cause they play tons at college and are pretty good at spacing/mind games/non fancy but efficient edge guarding, but they never bothered to learn short hopping/z-cancelling/not to roll/ edge hogging/pivots/combos.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Yep,

Used it on a pika for the last kill of a 2v2 when chilling/drinking smashing all night with a bunch of my friends who are still in the either no z-cancelling or occasional z-cancelling and excessive rolling metagame.

They were kinda impressed.

Kinda interesting cause they play tons at college and are pretty good at spacing/mind games/non fancy but efficient edge guarding, but they never bothered to learn short hopping/z-cancelling/not to roll/ edge hogging/pivots/combos.

Ah. I normally opt for the high percentage dair to double jump fpunch against bads. I think that might be a little more spectacular. But who knows

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I learned a bunch of Falcon Punch combos through those Tavo videos, he uses it pretty often

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i thought i had something today that would work BUT i think it's escapable.

under left dL platform, falcon ditto: fthrow -> fair -> pivot grab fthrow -> uair -> uair -> falcon punch.

i've been looking for things to do after the pivot grab, and it really depends on my initial position. if i'm too far over towards the middle, when i pivot grab, they'll just wind up teching on the top platform, leaving me no choice but to just bthrow -> edgeguard.

cpu falcon was being a ***** and for the past hour my controller has been acting wonky/i haven't been able to pivot. if anyone has any ideas, throw them my way. thanks.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
yessir. but i usually practice things like that against pc because sometimes they have perfect reactions and i feel it's a better gauge.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
On training mode, I managed to get a Punch only if I used 3 Uairs.
To amp up the fanciness, the first Uair can be reversed. And if you get the wrong knockback from the reverse Uair (too horizontal), you can still run for the ledge and Jump -> Uair -> Dair. Which looks cool.

Sangoku

Smash Master
yessir. but i usually practice things like that against pc because sometimes they have perfect reactions and i feel it's a better gauge.
Be careful. They have perfect reactions in things such as when you run toward them, or when you jump toward them while they're on platform. On the contrary, if you make them fly and try to hit them again, they often aren't in hitstun anymore but still don't do ****. And they have weird DI, so **** them.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
On training mode, I managed to get a Punch only if I used 3 Uairs.
as in, double jump uair, jump uair, falling uair, jump punch?

and sangoku, ye. they're *****.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i can't get the third uair to hit. i'll get the sh uair, but when i jump and connect with the second, he's too high to hit again, even if i wait til the last moment. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG
FACK

clubbadubba

Smash Master
1. If they don't start it early enough and they are too close to the edge you can hug them before they get it out.

2. Up-b a bit earlier than you need to and go more vertical so as not to get as close to the stage and thus avoid getting hit until the attack goes away.

3. If you are close enough to the stage to start you can always try to just recover high and avoid any fsmash opportunity, though that probably isn't much better.

4. Go for a reverse DI recovery, which I believe is easiest if you are slightly above the edge when you get hit. That way he at least has to bthrow you again.

JosephZander

Smash Cadet
Wow thanks for the speedy responses

I've been trying to ledge Di but it has yet to work. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? How do you do it? And are reverse Di and ledge Di the same thing? I remember reading the thread on those but can't seem to find it atm.

Also do you guys use dair to spike them off of the ledge consistently? I can never seem to get it to connect or I end up FF dair to my demise so I tend to use it very rarely any more.

Fthrow at higher %. How do you follow that up? When I'm on the platform and I'm facing the ledge and my opponent is between me and the ledge, they're at a high % and If I grab I'll Fthrow(to keep them off of the ledge in a sense) and they go too high to follow with an Arial or upB. At that point is it just better to Bthrow them across the stage or should I stop grabbing all together when I'm facing the ledge and they're at a high %? I'm talking more along the lines of a big stage like the left part of hyrule.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
1. basically just keep trying to move to the stage when you get hit. if you're recovering from the right side, keep hitting left/up on the stick. reverse di is when you're above the ledge bit and you di into the lip and go the opposite way. i sometimes get it with the same input, so, shrug.

2. if you're ff dairing it's because you're too antsy and hitting down before you press a. or something. i corrected my problem of doing that by treating dair like a dtilt, in terms of pressure. it stopped my from plummeting, and as i improved i found a natural rhythm.

3. it's your call on that one, man. if you fthrow near the ledge at high %, you don't have a real edgeguard opportunity - you're just in a better position, i guess, to try and space your uairs. a bthrow across the stage from left hyrule to right is meh for me. but at least then you've got the middle.

JosephZander

Smash Cadet
In response to:
1) hmm Ok I'll have to just work on it.
2) If your falling and you dair as you said (like dtilt) you don't FF? What I've been doing is dair while I'm still going up from my jump or sh to avoid FF but that seems to make it significantly harder especially if my opponent is at the same level or slightly below me. While that works sometimes, there are situations where I don't think it would. Maybe I'm just really bad at it right now haha.
3) I hate to bthrow away from the left ledge on hyrule hahaha I guess I just need to work out a more effective option and grab when I can bthrow off the ledge or when it's my only other option. I struggle to rack up kills with falcon near the ledge because I can't seem to figure out a good killing move when I'm facing the ledge and my opponent is between. I think I resort to fair and grabs too much in that position. Would nair be a good compromise? My questions are getting more and more situational but my technique seems to lack in that respect and I always try to return to uair chains and stuff when my opponent is at a high percentage and they simply don't connect. When I play with my buddies I'll win but it takes me longer to kill them cuz I can't find a reliable finisher when I'm not comboing. Edit: in other words If they're at a high% what are falcons go to finishers? Is it mostly in edge guarding?

Top Bottom